PDA

View Full Version : Braves listed as a team chasing Tanaka?

Yogi44
12-26-2013, 09:25 AM
This is the part that surprised me.

"Various reports already have speculated that the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Braves, Rangers and Diamondbacks are the frontrunners to obtain Tanaka's services."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/report-masahiro-tanaka-hires-agent-as-posting-set-to-begin-thursday?ymd=20131224&content_id=66192560&vkey=news_mlb

Bye Week
12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Umm yeah, that will never happen

Hawk
12-26-2013, 10:10 AM
:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

Hawk
12-26-2013, 10:27 AM
All salivation aside, would be pretty cool to see him in a Rangers uniform alongside Darvish.

Jay212033
12-26-2013, 10:46 AM
It might sound crazy but this may be why the Braves didn't go hard after Hudson or McCann.

PawPawMaxwell
12-26-2013, 11:22 AM
If Braves are convinced that his talent translate to MLB and on a par with Darvish at minimum, then Tanaka is a better deal team wise than Price.

BravesfanMike
12-26-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm sure we'll be getting the usual update from the Braves saying the report is unfounded

clvclv
12-26-2013, 11:36 AM
I've been wondering for several weeks (since even a little before MLB and NPB agreed on the new posting system parameters) if there was any chance Wren would consider bidding on Tanaka. To be completely honest, he'd make the most sense of the available options when you consider acquisition cost - even though we haven't been running around spending money foolishly just because we have it, there is the new TV money available, and some of the money the organization will eventually receive for the new stadium's naming rights can also be allocated towards paying a big contract without significantly altering efforts to extend core players.

While I'd prefer Price personally, the $20 million required to satisfy the posting fee will likely put both players in the same $$$/year range and wouldn't cost ANY young talent to obtain. We do have some history of successful negotiations with Casey Close - he represented both Kenny Lofton and Ben Sheets (of course he also represents Teixeira).

NinersSBChamps
12-26-2013, 11:42 AM
If the guy cares about money he isn't seriously considering the Braves. It will be Yankees, Cubs, or Rangers.

clvclv
12-26-2013, 12:00 PM
If the guy cares about money he isn't seriously considering the Braves. It will be Yankees, Cubs, or Rangers.

Somebody better go tell all those other GMs that. Of course there's NO WAY Cano would seriously consider signing with the Mariners or Pujols would seriously consider the Angels, right???

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

People who speak in absolutes have always amazed me.

NinersSBChamps
12-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Somebody better go tell all those other GMs that. Of course there's NO WAY Cano would seriously consider signing with the Mariners or Pujols would seriously consider the Angels, right???

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

People who speak in absolutes have always amazed me.

I don't think anyone ever ruled the Angles out in Pujols sweepstakes. And look he signed with them because they offered the most money.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

People who speak in things incorrectly have always amazed me.

50PoundHead
12-26-2013, 12:14 PM
As per Tanaka, I think the Beach Boys summed it up best with "Wouldn't It be Nice?" Doubt it's happening, but he's what the doctor ordered.

Heyward
12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I doubt it.

One of NYY/LAD/Arz/Cubs are the likely suitors but it would be nice if they got him albeit very unlikely.

skillet
12-26-2013, 02:08 PM
There is no way we would even come close to outbidding any of the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Rangers, etc. Tanaka will not be a Brave.

Dalyn
12-26-2013, 02:11 PM
It might sound crazy but this may be why the Braves didn't go hard after Hudson or McCann.

They didn't go hard after Hudson or McCann because they weren't interested.

thethe
12-26-2013, 02:22 PM
There is money available. There is no reason not to. The profits are coming in and I would hope smart business people would realize that tthere is still untapped market share out there to get with a move like this.

mossy
12-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Never gonna happen.

Yogi44
12-26-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't think it's gonna happen either, but found it interesting that we were even included in the conversation. Generally, the Braves never crop up as a potential candidate for signing someone like this. If the story is to be believed, then someone is in the know that we are going to at least give it a shot (still come up short IMO) or tossing darts that they broke the story first that the Braves were interested on the off chance we hit pay dirt.

The Chosen One
12-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Perhaps our name is being thrown out there as a bluff to get Tampa to lower their price for Price?

If Tampa thinks we're going to shell out money for Tanaka, they might ask for lesser talent to maximize Price's trade value.

Enscheff
12-26-2013, 02:48 PM
It was probably a typo. There is no way Tanaka pitches for the Braves until the year 2030 when Wren needs a replacement for Garcia.

skillet
12-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Perhaps our name is being thrown out there as a bluff to get Tampa to lower their price for Price?

If Tampa thinks we're going to shell out money for Tanaka, they might ask for lesser talent to maximize Price's trade value.

If Tampa makes Price available, there are any number of clubs that would be knocking down their door to get him. They certainly wouldn't look at any interest in Tanaka (if in fact there really is any) on our part as potentially losing some leverage with Price.

The Chosen One
12-26-2013, 02:55 PM
If Tampa makes Price available, there are any number of clubs that would be knocking down their door to get him. They certainly wouldn't look at any interest in Tanaka (if in fact there really is any) on our part as potentially losing some leverage with Price.

Tampa made Price available when they said they were open to trading him.

Other teams probably don't want to mortgage their future, but Wren doesn't mind if Tampa were willing to lower their price.

Wren did this last year with Zona. Zona wanted Simmons + Teheran IIRC, and Wren ended up giving up Ahmed and Delgado.

Tampa has no legitimate reason to keep Price the next 2 years when they know he's going to be a free agent.

thethe
12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Price is a real danger. There was an interesting ESPN article the other day talking about how he isn't as good as most think. I would stay away from a pitcher with that many miles no their arm at his age.

The Chosen One
12-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Price is a real danger. There was an interesting ESPN article the other day talking about how he isn't as good as most think. I would stay away from a pitcher with that many miles no their arm at his age.

I've watched Price enough the last 5 years to form my own conclusion that the guy is a TOR pitcher that I want to go up against Clayton Kershaw or Adam Wainwright when the playoffs start.

MURF21
12-26-2013, 03:00 PM
This is the part that surprised me.

"Various reports already have speculated that the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Braves, Rangers and Diamondbacks are the frontrunners to obtain Tanaka's services."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/report-masahiro-tanaka-hires-agent-as-posting-set-to-begin-thursday?ymd=20131224&content_id=66192560&vkey=news_mlb

I'd rather see them take that money and put it toward extending Heyward, Freeman and Simmons.

thethe
12-26-2013, 03:05 PM
I'd rather see them take that money and put it toward extending Heyward, Freeman and Simmons.

Whats BS is that there should be enough money for that plus extentions. Liberty is sitting on more profit than ever. Its an absolute sham.

zitothebrave
12-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Price is an excellent pitcher. One of the 10 best in baseball over a large sample. He's not though Kershaw, Verlander, King Felix or Cliff Lee so I wouldn't go bonkers for him.

What would really be awesome is if we had the money to absorb Lee's contract, Phillies seem interested in trading him, they need catching pretty bad so Gattis or CB and a few other pieces could net him.

skillet
12-26-2013, 03:20 PM
There is money available. There is no reason not to. The profits are coming in and I would hope smart business people would realize that tthere is still untapped market share out there to get with a move like this.

I agree completely with this statement. Unfortunately I highly doubt the Braves FO shares this view.

Gary82
12-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Ha.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/askville/1695487_10016319_mywrite/flying_pig.jpg

tvsportscaster
12-26-2013, 03:55 PM
There is no way in hell that the Braves are going to pay a 20 million dollar posting fee on top of what it will take to sign Tanaka probably over 100 million. Also, it appears that the 25 extra million dollars in TV revenue is being banked for the move to the new stadium, which I think will be the scenario with most extra income. Now I still think Price and or Smardijza could still be a possibilty because their prices will come down the more the off season goes along.

PawPawMaxwell
12-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Dont think the Yankees can sign him unless they get a favorable ruling on ARod.
Dont think the Dodgers can sign him unless they move Kemp or other (s) like Eithier.
Doubt he would sign with Cubs as far away as they are.
Rangers? Maybe but then who would be the Alpha male in their rotation?
Us? Dont forget how Wren was at the center of Kawakami's loss of face so to speak.

CrimsonCowboy
12-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Never know of you don't try. Go for it, Braves!

Heyward
12-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Whats BS is that there should be enough money for that plus extentions. Liberty is sitting on more profit than ever. Its an absolute sham.

It takes two to tango.

Heyward
12-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Dont think the Dodgers can sign him unless they move Kemp or other (s) like Eithier.
Us? Dont forget how Wren was at the center of Kawakami's loss of face so to speak.

Dodgers and Yankees have unlimited money, they can get him and worry about the rest later.

Gary82
12-26-2013, 04:39 PM
It takes two to tango.

three's a crowd.

PawPawMaxwell
12-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Dodgers and Yankees have unlimited money, they can get him and worry about the rest later.
There is no such thing as unlimited money. have you not been watching the off season pundits or is it just a matter of obdurance?

Yankees do not want to pay luxury tax. Period. And Tanaka would not make that much of a difference by himself.

Dodgers do not want to pay the luxury tax and dont need to with the team they have now. Tanake would be superflous.

Arizona and Mariners can both play.

depley
12-26-2013, 05:16 PM
most do not see Tanaka as a TOP rotation guy, see him as a #2 or#3 in the rotation. He is not Darvish, he does not have Darvish's stuff. Still he is going to end up with a contract on the order of 7 years 126 Million or 18M per year. Not the kind of move the Braves are going to make in my estimation. The fact that they don't does not bother me a bit, as the success rate of Japanese pitchers failing is far higher than those being successful as a star. We don't need another Kawakami.

zbhargrove
12-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Yah, but Kawakami wasn't ever supposed to be a star... even when he was signed, he was thought to be a number 3 or 4 at best. Tanaka has ace potential if he can translate it in the MLB.

zbhargrove
12-26-2013, 05:25 PM
most do not see Tanaka as a TOP rotation guy, see him as a #2 or#3 in the rotation. He is not Darvish, he does not have Darvish's stuff. Still he is going to end up with a contract on the order of 7 years 126 Million or 18M per year. Not the kind of move the Braves are going to make in my estimation. The fact that they don't does not bother me a bit, as the success rate of Japanese pitchers failing is far higher than those being successful as a star. We don't need another Kawakami.

I highly disagree with this statement... almost everything I've read about Tanaka says he could translate to a TOR pitcher... actually everything that I'm reading is that Tanaka's stuff is almost a clone of Darvish.

zbhargrove
12-26-2013, 05:29 PM
http://www.azsnakepit.com/2013/12/24/5241480/masahiro-tanaka-2014-projection

skillet
12-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Joel Sherman also runs down a list of eight teams that he feels to be the Yankees' most serious competition for Tanaka: the Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox, Phillies, Rangers, Cubs, Diamondbacks and Mariners.

No mention of the Braves.

PawPawMaxwell
12-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Yah, but Kawakami wasn't ever supposed to be a star... even when he was signed, he was thought to be a number 3 or 4 at best. Tanaka has ace potential if he can translate it in the MLB.

You must not understand the Japanese cultural importance of saving face. Kawakami took the demotion to AA rather than take the money and go back to Japan.
I doubt Tanaka and his people are not aware of this.

bravebonebook
12-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Sorry don't see it happening. 1. This off-season seems to show that the Braves aren't going to spend a lot of money, 2. they'd never be able to keep up in a spending race with any of those teams mentioned and 3. the Kawakami situation did not end well and I bet every Japanese player coming to America will be informed of that by their agents. Tanaka will not be a Brave, IMO.

zbhargrove
12-26-2013, 09:20 PM
You must not understand the Japanese cultural importance of saving face. Kawakami took the demotion to AA rather than take the money and go back to Japan.

I understand that. I'm actually very aware of how Japanese culture works considering I have spent over a year there. I seriously doubt that the way the KK (a mediocre pitcher... Arguably mediocre even in Japan) situation ended will sway a big time prospect like Tanaka.

CyYoung31
12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
To be or Tanaka be, that is the question.

DirkPiggler
12-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Understood, but were the Braves supposed to keep running Kawakami out there for the big league club to get shelled every five days to avoid wounding his pride?

All Wren has to do to combat that argument is show Tanaka the back of KK's last baseball card, and maybe some game film of his last season in Atlanta.

tvsportscaster
12-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Understood, but were the Braves supposed to keep running Kawakami out there for the big league club to get shelled every five days to avoid wounding his pride?

All Wren has to do to combat that argument is show Tanaka the back of KK's last baseball card, and maybe some game film of his last season in Atlanta.

All of that won't mean crap if the money is right, but in this case, there's no way, the Braves will compete with the other teams involved so everything is a moot point anyway.

thewupk
12-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Who knows how serious the Braves are going after Tanaka or if they are even going after him at all. But if they do make any offers then it would mean they would have already agreed to paying the 20 million posting fee which is interesting. Personally I see him signing for around 120 million overall with 20 million of that being the posting fee.

nsacpi
12-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Any one want to hazard a guess on what kind of contract Tanaka gets?

My guess is 22M/year for 7 years. On top of the posting fee. Similar to what Greinke got. One year more, slightly lower AAV.

skillet
12-27-2013, 03:03 PM

My guess is 22M/year for 7 years. On top of the posting fee. Similar to what Greinke got. One year more, slightly lower AAV.

I don't think he will get quite that much. Yu Darvish, who by all accounts is as good or better than Tanaka, got a 6 year, $56M contract, and when you add the $51M posting fee, total the deal was 6 years, $107M or 17.8M/year. Now that deal was signed two years ago so some inflation has to be accounted for, so adding 10% to that yields a 6 year, $118M deal or roughly $19.7/year, and that includes the $20M posting fee.

Heyward
12-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Saw he will get 100+ million at least, maybe/probably more.

So around 17-19 in AAV, maybe more is about right for 6-7 years.

nsacpi
12-27-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't think he will get quite that much. Yu Darvish, who by all accounts is as good or better than Tanaka, got a 6 year, $56M contract, and when you add the $51M posting fee, total the deal was 6 years, $107M or 17.8M/year. Now that deal was signed two years ago so some inflation has to be accounted for, so adding 10% to that yields a 6 year, $118M deal or roughly $19.7/year, and that includes the $20M posting fee.

Under the old posting system, Yu Darvish could only negotiate with the Rangers. Tanaka will have a lot more leverage.

stpeteirish
12-27-2013, 03:17 PM
we might be a player in a situation like this in a few years but not now. The increased revenue from the new stadium will cause some spending, but its too soon for that. Makes more sense now to invest in players who will contribute in a few years or just sit on the money. With the way the draft money is regulated now I quess it'll be the latter.

thewupk
12-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Saw he will get 100+ million at least, maybe/probably more.

So around 17-19 in AAV, maybe more is about right for 6-7 years.

Some team will likely sign him to that but it's pretty foolish for someone who hasn't pitched any MLB innings.

Braves1976
12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
The Braves may be involved as speculated, but so should be most every team. However, I don't buy that they're seriously going after Tanaka. I expect it's just the Braves doing their due diligence again. If we sign anyone else it will probably be only if EOF or some other reliever we like accepts a one year deal. Plus you might see us sign Wilson Betemit for back-up insurance at third, etc. Reportedly both us and the Indians are interested in him, but our interest may only be if he'll accept a minor league deal. Time will tell.

Jay212033
12-28-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm sure we'll be getting the usual update from the Braves saying the report is unfounded

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/braves-have-money-to-make-run-at-tanaka-but-likely/ncW6J/

Well guess this is it lol

tvsportscaster
12-28-2013, 07:08 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/braves-have-money-to-make-run-at-tanaka-but-likely/ncW6J/

Well guess this is it lol

That's a premium article, it really doesn't tell us that much with paying for it, which I'm not about to do.

Jay212033
12-28-2013, 09:18 PM
That's a premium article, it really doesn't tell us that much with paying for it, which I'm not about to do.

In a nutshell it says the Braves are not going after him.

tvsportscaster
12-28-2013, 10:34 PM
In a nutshell it says the Braves are not going after him.

That's why Schultz gets paid the big bucks, he's the master of the obvious. The cheap skate Liberty Media is not going to spend that kind of money, and to be honest with you I'm not sure I want to. I'd rather go after someone we know can be and has been successful in this league.

clvclv
12-31-2013, 11:00 AM
That's why Schultz gets paid the big bucks, he's the master of the obvious. The cheap skate Liberty Media is not going to spend that kind of money, and to be honest with you I'm not sure I want to. I'd rather go after someone we know can be and has been successful in this league.

Yeah...only those with long track records of success at THIS level - don't spend on any player that hasn't at least put up say 5 consecutive 30 HR seasons.

:emot-siren.gif.17: :emot-siren.gif.17: :emot-siren.gif.17: