PDA

View Full Version : Chris Christie

57Brave
01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Appears to have screwed the proverbial pooch.
Think he can get out of this?
I don't - he has no friends

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/tapper-damning-emails-show-inescapable-conclusion-that-bridge-gate-was-political-payback/

zitothebrave
01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Christie won't be a pres candidate because he's a crooked pol. Everyone knows it in NJ, we're just used to them. I think his future is as a pundit, maybe a cabinet member, or he may try to snag a Senate seat from the dems.

Krgrecw
01-08-2014, 04:39 PM
He'll get the GOP nod unless Jeb wants it.

Everyone in a position of power does stuff like this

zitothebrave
01-08-2014, 04:43 PM
He'll get the GOP nod unless Jeb wants it.

Everyone in a position of power does stuff like this

This isn't the only thing Christie did. He'll get crushed on a national stage.

Krgrecw
01-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Nah people will like him. People on the right will line up behind someone who isn't afraid to be loud and challenge the left. McCain and Romney were too passive.

For all the **** you give Christie, he did win a liberal state which should tell you what people think about him

sturg33
01-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Nah people will like him. People on the right will line up behind someone who isn't afraid to be loud and challenge the left. McCain and Romney were too passive.

For all the **** you give Christie, he did win a liberal state which should tell you what people think about him

That he's a liberal?

zitothebrave
01-08-2014, 05:41 PM
BUt he's a New Jersey republican. Which is not what the nutzos want. He's more liberal than Romney in many ways.

Things he's said include

Homosexuality is not a sin; people are born that way. Pursue civil unions in NJ, but not same-sex marriage Drug treatment rather than non-violent offenders in prison.Consider windmills off NJ coast. Don't tap strategic reserves for political purposes.The future for New Jersey is in green energy. Incentivize energy manufacturing & wind turbines. New Jersey is being short-changed on Hurricane Sandy relief. Jersey shore for tourism instead of offshore drilling. 157 million for Green Acres open-space acquisition.Stricter limits on PAC campaign donations. Vetoed outright ban on Barrett .50 caliber rifle. We already have too many firearms in our community. 2009: No right-to-carry cross-state reciprocity. Favors gun control measures from law-enforcement perspective. I've never been opposed to tuition equality for illegals. with either unionized state workers or civil service.Spent beyond government travel allowance as US Attorney.

Could continue. But he's not in reality too far off from Obama.

57Brave
01-08-2014, 10:47 PM

You've either got a bad memory, a chronic blind spot or are pitifully uninformed.

People from the right remember him being photographed with Obama and not with Romney.
People from the left see him as a bully and someone that uses a state helicopter to travel a few miles to watch his kids soccer game.
Looks as if everyone that see's Jeb bush as the (R) savior in '16 will get a shot.

(R) gets either the guy that rigged the vote to get his invading brother elected or the guy behind the traffic jam that killed an old lady.
Can you say "President Hil"

57Brave
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
He never escapes this quote (email) coming from his office. Whether he said it or one of his deputies/ He is responsible for the culture of his office
He fellow Braves fans -----is history

"They are the children of Buono voters."
---
edit:
Frankly, the more I read the above quote it actually angers me. The 47% remark was an abstraction. This wasn't an abstraction. This actually - boots on the ground / skin in the game - negatively affected innocent citizens personal in the flesh lives.
Not their bank accounts ---- their lives.

Citizens

Hawk
01-09-2014, 08:35 AM
He has a press conference at 11AM EST. Christie is all about tone, so it will be curious to see what he brings in terms of attitude.

I think if he plays too soft he's going to bleed longer, but if he comes out in his trademark saucy fashion he might be able to put all of this (truly menial **** -- who really cares about political retribution in some podunk New Jersey town? [sorry, zito]) in the rear-view.

Hawk
01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Can you say "President Hil"

At the rate things are progressing, under a Democratically guided country, I'd rather eat my ****ing tongue.

zitothebrave
01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
FOrt Lee isnt all that podunk, it's not a city of course. But there are many more pudunk places in New Jersey. Want to see Podunk? Travel to upstate Vermont and New Hampshire. Holy crap. And Fort Lee is the borough that brought forth such great people like Buddy Hackett, Bill O'Reilly, Cheng Ming Wang, Alfonso Soriano, Jay Z and most importantly Cam'ron.

If Christie was behind this he'll pay, but he seems to have enough plausible deniability that he can blame it on staffers and get away with it.

Hawk
01-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I drive from upstate New York to Montreal/Quebec City, and then to Portland, ME every summer, and those podunk places you refer to are more 'quaint' ... New Jersey podunk is like an industrial wasteland. Think Pripyat. Just kidding, a former lady friend lived(s) in Wildwood and I have a peculiar fondness for the state (read: Wawa).

zitothebrave
01-09-2014, 09:17 AM
People don't get why New Jersey is the greatest state in the union, I simply tell them imagine you want anything, burgers, mexican, thai, almost any major retailer, whatever, and you're about 10-45 minutes from one. Aside from the Northwest part of the state (don't go there) NJ is full of awesome. And the shore is always awesome because it's heydays were all 30+ years ago if you find the right spots, so it's retro without trying. Asbury Park and Belmar are 2 of my favorite shore towns for different reasons.

To describe the full of awesome. I'm living in northern New Hampshire. For starters, I've never lived somewhere so far behind the "new" scene if you would. NJ was a little behind because it typically flowed from New York whenever something new happened. Anyway. The food is something I miss so dearly. They have italian, and chinese, and some breweries, but it's not the same. Like up here if you go to get pizza it's either good and way overpriced, or cheap and crappy. There is no cheap but good pizza like I grew up a 2 minute walk from. Chinese, forget about it, there's I think 1 Chinese place around me, and my girlfriend doesn't want to eat there because it sucks. Whereas in New Brunswick you threw a rock you hit a Chinese place that was good. Thai there is a thai place near, but it's kind of like someone wanted to be a New York Thai restaurant. It's not very good. And for italian food, well same as the Pizza, you can get good Italian food at a premium or bad italian food for cheap. In NJ there still were those premium places, but there were also some places that were good cheap italian. I never ate at a bad Italian place, cause where I lived they'd be swallowed up in a heart beat by good ones.

Of all the places I've lived, which of course isn't that broad, New Brunswick was my favorite. Sure there were traffic issues (New Brunswick has the luxury of being by a super busy stretch of 1, and the Turnpike) but there was always something to do. I would want an apartment that I could stagger home from after boozing though, that I missed.

yeezus
01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
I've seen a few lists recently that rank NJ as a good place to live (for different reasons). It was ranked as a top-10 state to raise children in, and there were some others.
Not sure why we get a bad rep, everything I need is so close.
I live on a street lined with excellent but affordable restaurants featuring all kinds of food - thai, italian, cuban, spanish, and many others, with a wawa in between.
Plus, I drive two minutes, hop on a train, and I'm in center city Philly in 10 minutes.
Can't beat it.

zitothebrave
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
So you're not too far from the Patco then huh?

NJ gets a bad rap because of NYC. Comics, TV shows, etc. catering to NYC consumers trash NJ. Parts of NJ suck, and are industrial wastelands, but for anyone who hates NJ I just take them out to Monmouth or Ocean if they're interested in nature/views, or take them to Mercer/Middlesex if they're more into the hipster or yuppy scene (don't get more yuppy than Princeton) I'm hoping to get a brewing gig up here where it's easier before sliding back into NJ.

50PoundHead
01-09-2014, 01:37 PM
I don't know if this kills his chances because the actual campaigning is a year off, so there is time for him to burnish things up a bit, but I think this really does how at base who he really is: a frickin' bully. Anyone who rises to the ranks to which he has risen is standing on a pile of figuratively dead bodies, but this is so trite it's ridiculous. If you're going to be petulant and vindictive, at least do it over something of substance.

Hawk
01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
After reading zito and yeezus wax poetic on New Jersey's buffet of ethnic food options, it's little surprise to me that Christie is a balloon.

zitothebrave
01-09-2014, 04:03 PM
After reading zito and yeezus wax poetic on New Jersey's buffet of ethnic food options, it's little surprise to me that Christie is a balloon.

I see him as more of a fan of Pizza than of Pho.

cajunrevenge
01-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Republicans seem to like to nominate moderate candidates with no chance to win so its not a surprise Christie is the "establishment" favorite. My only hope right now appears to be that Rand Paul is just pretending to be a dip**** so he wont get blackballed like his Dad was in the last primary.

yeezus
01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
So you're not too far from the Patco then huh?

NJ gets a bad rap because of NYC. Comics, TV shows, etc. catering to NYC consumers trash NJ. Parts of NJ suck, and are industrial wastelands, but for anyone who hates NJ I just take them out to Monmouth or Ocean if they're interested in nature/views, or take them to Mercer/Middlesex if they're more into the hipster or yuppy scene (don't get more yuppy than Princeton) I'm hoping to get a brewing gig up here where it's easier before sliding back into NJ.

I live within 5-10 minutes, walking, of two different stations. It's great, my gf works in a center city hospital, and can completely avoid traffic on the way to work and be there in 15 min. We can take the train over to the city, go out and get sloppy, and get dropped off essentially at my door. The Walt Whit and Ben are about 5 minutes from my house as well.

As far as brew jobs, my cousin just started brewing at home, then got a job at a brew pub in the city (nodding head). He was there for at least 2 years I think before he found the job at river horse. There's definitely a niche for those who like craft beer/brewing beer. He read a lot of books, too. Dropped out of school, but worked hard to learn brewing. Now I get all the free river horse i need!

zitothebrave
01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
I would love free Riverhorse haha. NJ has a lot of breweries that want experience. Up in NH and VT they're more ballsy. Though I may have something open up in NJ if this place can hire my brother and myself, and gets the funding it needs.

57Brave
01-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Without Drudge he doesn't have a (R) Primary prayer. Because he stood by Obama and dissed Romney.
Case closed - over- kiput - finis - my guess is he will be a Fox News analyst - if not in prison since lawsuits are beginning.
Some are saying this is just the tip of the Christie iceberg.

And please, they all don't do this. I've been following current events since the early 60's and have never seen a pol caught at this level of arrogance / or incompetence at running an office. Pick one

Drudge:
http://drudgereport.com/

Krgrecw
01-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Not all politicians abuse Thier power and take care of Thier friends/voters and buck the people that are/were against them?

Christie did the best he could do coming out of this. Fired the lady, took resposibilty and answered every question. As long as there's no smoking gun tying Christie to this he'll come out fine.

50PoundHead
01-10-2014, 11:29 AM
He did the best he could, but there's no running away from the fact that he hired the woman he subsequently fired and this type of behavior is often the tip of the iceberg. I've been in the game (not at as high a level as Ms. Kelly) and I've seen this type of crap take place. But it's usually personal and relatively innocuous. It doesn't involve creating a major traffic tie-up.

I've been disappointed that Obama hasn't reined in some of his staff, so the saw cuts both ways. There may be no smoking gun, but the culture created by Christie's personality certainly helped create an atmosphere where something like this was even considered. This event doesn't put Christie's presidential hopes in the ground, but he's on one good leg going forward.

57Brave
01-10-2014, 03:15 PM
I think he was set up. No one of his stature is this tone deaf

Krgrecw
01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Christie took more accountability in two hours than Obama has with Benghazi and the IRS scandal ever

57Brave
01-10-2014, 09:15 PM
How does one take "accountability" ?

57Brave
01-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Not all politicians abuse Thier power and take care of Thier friends/voters and buck the people that are/were against them?

Christie did the best he could do coming out of this. Fired the lady, took resposibilty and answered every question. As long as there's no smoking gun tying Christie to this he'll come out fine.

NEW DOCS RELEASED... Emergency Responders Forced To Move On Foot... DAYS OF CHAOS... 'I Pray No Life Has Been Lost'... 'Violates Federal Law'... CAPO SCHEMED: 'There Can Be No Public Discourse'... Senator 'Not Convinced' Christie Didn't Know... Ex-Gov: 'Phony, Bulls**t'... Christie Asked NY Gov. To Back Off Investigation... 'Just The Tip Of The Cover-Up'...

///////////////////////////////////////////
The question isn't even about Christie personally anymore. It is about if ther is just one national (R) of stature will stand next to him.
Guilty or not - he doesn't recover from this

zitothebrave
01-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Christie took more accountability in two hours than Obama has with Benghazi and the IRS scandal ever

I didn't watch what he said, cause i really don't care, whoever did this did a scumbag thing. But if Christie went up there and farted into the mic, I think you'd say the same thing.

Julio3000
01-11-2014, 12:07 PM

I find myself perversely admiring your ability to still use the word "scandal," in that context, without deploying quotation marks. That kind of tenacity and single-mindedness must simplify your life a great deal.

BedellBrave
01-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Oh my! Looks like Christie has learned Chicago Politics well!! Sharp-elbows and all. Funny thing is when politicians do what politicians do to get back at one another it's citizens who field the blows.

BedellBrave
01-11-2014, 01:21 PM
I find myself perversely admiring your ability to still use the word "scandal," in that context, without deploying quotation marks. That kind of tenacity and single-mindedness must simplify your life a great deal.

That's right. We use "scandal" for those we support and scandal for the other guys. Amazing how well we rationalize things away and give our guys "plausible deniability." And just watch us marshall article after article explaining how well, it really isn't a scandal for our guys, preaching away to our choir, feeling intellectually and morally superior and all. Do you guys ever just look in a mirror?

Hawk
01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm still trying to find a legitimate reason to care about this, aside from it proving that Christie had a vice grip on his full administration (which isn't exactly a bad thing.)

goldfly
01-11-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm still trying to find a legitimate reason to care about this, aside from it proving that Christie had a vice grip on his full administration (which isn't exactly a bad thing.)

i honestly can't bring myself to care about this either

i start reading about it and start thinking "who gives a ****"

this country has real problems and the main story going on in this country is about a road closing

Julio3000
01-11-2014, 04:17 PM
That's right. We use "scandal" for those we support and scandal for the other guys. Amazing how well we rationalize things away and give our guys "plausible deniability." And just watch us marshall article after article explaining how well, it really isn't a scandal for our guys, preaching away to our choir, feeling intellectually and morally superior and all. Do you guys ever just look in a mirror?

You're awfully dark and sooty yourself, pot.

Did I make an equivalence? Was I the one who compared the brouhaha which was the topic of the thread with another purported scandal?

Consider getting some fresh air. Go for a walk. Pat the dog. I find this constant tone of curmudgeonly enforcement to be pretty tiresome, even when I agree with the substance of your posts.

BedellBrave
01-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Okay kettle, let's see what we have here.

1. Condescension? Check.

2. "My guy's scandals are "scandals""? Check.

Now, have a good evening and get off my lawn.

The Chosen One
01-11-2014, 08:37 PM

1. Condescension? Check.

You're awfully dark and sooty yourself, pot.

Did I make an equivalence? Was I the one who compared the brouhaha which was the topic of the thread with another purported scandal?

Consider getting some fresh air. Go for a walk. Pat the dog. I find this constant tone of curmudgeonly enforcement to be pretty tiresome, even when I agree with the substance of your posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyZpiuusa2k

BedellBrave
01-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Nice! Love me some LotR.

Runnin
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1607059_818183061542102_1158870053_n.png

Julio3000
01-12-2014, 03:41 PM

1. Condescension? Check.

Condescension and ideological blinders? Add a persecution complex and a recent propensity for avid interest in the mote in thy brother's eye, and you're got yourself a stew going.

BedellBrave
01-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Condescension and ideological blinders? Add a persecution complex and a recent propensity for avid interest in the mote in thy brother's eye, and you're got yourself a stew going.

Yeah, and that log sticking out of my eye can do some damage. :-)

Still, get off my lawn.

57Brave
01-12-2014, 09:32 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with Obama or sides or teams or whatever it is Bedell is rambling on about.
Created this thread to talk about politics and the supposed demise of the presumptive (R) presidential candidate.
Nothing to do wth Benghazi or the IRS or the merits or demerits of the 2 party system. Or for that matter the quality of life in New Jersey. But the reality of hard scrapple presidential politics.

To win Christie some sympathy on the right, defenders such as former Mississippi governor Haley Barbour quickly deployed the GOP’s first-responder technique of attacking “the liberal media.” But liberals are the least of Christie’s problems.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ej-dionne-christies-conservative-problem/2014/01/12/aaf9a762-7bbe-11e3-95c6-0a7aa80874bc_story.html?wpmk=MK0000203

BedellBrave
01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I like pizza. I hate that the Panthers lost. Go Braves!

goldfly
01-13-2014, 03:42 AM
I like pizza. I hate that the Panthers lost. Go Braves!

i almost "thanked" this

i like pizza, i love the braves

the problem is i was glad the panthers lost

:riseup:

:cheers

weso1
01-13-2014, 08:52 AM
I think the only good news for Christie is that this happened at a time when nobody is thinking about politics. It might be forgotten by the time the primary season begins. People in New Jersey and New York may still be ticked, but it's not like he's going to win those states anyway. After a while almost every scandal is forgotten. Nobody talks about the IRS scandal anymore and even the NSA scandal is largely forgotten about these days despite Snowden showing his ugly mug every couple of months. And those two were obviously much worse than this.

Honestly though, if he's going to run for president he needs to get better at shielding himself from these scandals. He needs to learn some lessons from Obama, G-Dub and the Clintons.

Actually, I can see Christie using this scandal for his benefit by making it seem like the left is purposely targeting him, especially with the news today about the feds going after him for Sandy Aid. Try to get the right back on his side by playing the victim. Just so as he still appears strong while playing the victim.

Obviously if the scandal leads directly to him then all bets are off though.

57Brave
01-13-2014, 09:07 AM
I agree with Dionne his problems won't come from the left but from lack of support / friends on the right.

zitothebrave
01-13-2014, 11:24 AM
I think the only good news for Christie is that this happened at a time when nobody is thinking about politics. It might be forgotten by the time the primary season begins. People in New Jersey and New York may still be ticked, but it's not like he's going to win those states anyway. After a while almost every scandal is forgotten. Nobody talks about the IRS scandal anymore and even the NSA scandal is largely forgotten about these days despite Snowden showing his ugly mug every couple of months. And those two were obviously much worse than this.

Honestly though, if he's going to run for president he needs to get better at shielding himself from these scandals. He needs to learn some lessons from Obama, G-Dub and the Clintons.

Actually, I can see Christie using this scandal for his benefit by making it seem like the left is purposely targeting him, especially with the news today about the feds going after him for Sandy Aid. Try to get the right back on his side by playing the victim. Just so as he still appears strong while playing the victim.

Obviously if the scandal leads directly to him then all bets are off though.

Maybe he can, but the probe is legit and Christie wasting potentially millions in aid to NJ will reflect poorly.

Julio3000
01-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah, and that log sticking out of my eye can do some damage. :-)

Still, get off my lawn.

Uh, that lawn, you didn't build that.

Hawk
01-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Interesting allegations by the mayor of Hoboken...

50PoundHead
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Interesting allegations by the mayor of Hoboken...

Saw that in the NY Times. I don't know the state/local relationship in New Jersey and we're not as pure as we like to think we are out here in the Upper Midwest, but I can't recall any animosity of this type (there has been animosity between various Governors and locally-elected officials) in Minnesota.

Hawk
01-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Saw that in the NY Times. I don't know the state/local relationship in New Jersey and we're not as pure as we like to think we are out here in the Upper Midwest, but I can't recall any animosity of this type (there has been animosity between various Governors and locally-elected officials) in Minnesota.

I hate to be 'that guy' who brings party politics into this, but I do find it worthy of note that both Mayors Zimmer (Hoboken) and Sokolich (Fort Lee) are Democrats.

Giuliani was on 'Meet the Press' rambling about these attacks being orchestrated by the Clinton camp (say what you will about the Clintons, but they do play some ball) -- Christie's numbers have taken a nose dive in head-to-heads with Hillary this past week.

If this crooked real estate/Sandy business turns out to be true I would suspect Jeb's phone might start ringing ... off the hook. As a political junkie, the prospect of Bush running for President makes me salivate.

The Chosen One
01-20-2014, 01:21 PM
I hate to be 'that guy' who brings party politics into this, but I do find it worthy of note that both Mayors Zimmer (Hoboken) and Sokolich (Fort Lee) are Democrats.

Giuliani was on 'Meet the Press' rambling about these attacks being orchestrated by the Clinton camp (say what you will about the Clintons, but they do play some ball) -- Christie's numbers have taken a nose dive in head-to-heads with Hillary this past week.

If this crooked real estate/Sandy business turns out to be true I would suspect Jeb's phone might start ringing ... off the hook. As a political junkie, the prospect of Bush running for President makes me salivate.

Doesn't that make you cringe as a conservative though? No way Jeb would get elected just because his last name.

57Brave
01-20-2014, 01:35 PM

1) When talking about Chris Christie how does one not invoke party politics (or pizza) ?

2) Never crossed my mind about the Clintons. My guess is the people that encouraged this have something to do with the Libertarian Wing of(R). Afterall, it was Christies "people" that left the email trail . To your point, guessing Bill or Hill have not been on the phone with MSNBC to quiet the noise.
Both Mayors have enthusiastically supported CC in the past.

3) Read yesterday Christies 2016 fund raising has dried up. Jeb's family is against him running and I agree with Sav - he doesn't have a clear path.
Rand Paul? He is the one with the most to gain through all of this besides there is no love lost twixt Paul and Christie. My memory tells me their falling out was over Sandy Funds. Thi will be interesting to read about in 10-15 years

50PoundHead
01-20-2014, 03:48 PM

I don't think you bringing that in is wrong at all. What the mayors are saying may be true, but it should also be filed as "kick the guy when he's down." Christie himself said in his press conference that "politics ain't bean bag." Both sides do it and I'm sure the professional Dems are combing the hustings for anyone in New Jersey who has had an uncomfortable run-in with Christie and putting them in front of a microphone.

57Brave
01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
The larger point is, Hoboken received 1% Sandy Relief money requested. This morning I heard there was a town up river that received the same amount but suffered nowhere near the hardship. According to Mayor Zimmer Hoboken received a back up generator.
The money was disbursed by the Governors office. Fairly or not - you decide

57Brave
01-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Both sides do it and I'm sure the professional Dems are combing the hustings for anyone in New Jersey who has had an uncomfortable run-in with Christie and putting them in front of a microphone.

The justice system and the third estate are combing the hustings for (D) . Over 20 subpoenas sent out this past Friday alone - and investigative reporters by the bus loads
///////////////

Christie might survive this, might be clean as a whistle. But the time,stigma and resources lost pretty much kill his national ambitions for at least 10 years.

Hawk
01-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Doesn't that make you cringe as a conservative though? No way Jeb would get elected just because his last name.

Unfortunately, neither the contemporary Republican party or any of the candidates they are touting for 2016 align much at all with my particular (peculiar) breed of conservatism.

Why do you think Jebby would make a mainstream conservative cringe, though?

Guy did everything right as Governor of Florida ... hits hard at some traditional Democratic strong-holds, especially their advantage with hispanic voters.

- Fortified stance on immigration.
- An education policy that's not half bad.
- Thought-worthy ideas on restructuring the economy.

Bush has spent the past 8 years sharpening his spears. If he wants to run, he'll be the nominee.

jpx7
01-21-2014, 12:37 PM

You obviously aren't from, and/or weren't educated in, Florida.

Hawk
01-21-2014, 02:58 PM
You obviously aren't from, and/or weren't educated in, Florida.

You mustn't have known that I grew up in South Carolina.

50PoundHead
01-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately, neither the contemporary Republican party or any of the candidates they are touting for 2016 align much at all with my particular (peculiar) breed of conservatism.

Why do you think Jebby would make a mainstream conservative cringe, though?

Guy did everything right as Governor of Florida ... hits hard at some traditional Democratic strong-holds, especially their advantage with hispanic voters.

- Fortified stance on immigration.
- Thought-worthy ideas on restructuring the economy.

Bush has spent the past 8 years sharpening his spears. If he wants to run, he'll be the nominee.

He's not my guy, but I think he'd be viewed as Poppy Redux and I don't know if that would sell within the current Republican party. I don't hang with a lot of Republican grassroots workers, but I think Jeb might be too "forward" on immigration, education (where it would be my guess he'd support the Common Core, but I don't know that), and probably soft on the possibility of tax increases in a tax reform package. He's a center-right guy and I think the Republican party is in a part of the cycle where they are more right than center.

Hawk
01-21-2014, 04:05 PM
He's a center-right guy and I think the Republican party is in a part of the cycle where they are more right than center.

I think the party is blustering more right than they really are, at least right now. If you subscribe to the 'Pendulum Swing' theory, the country is already well on its way to a more right of center aligning after two terms with a decidedly left-leaning President.

IMO, 2016 will ultimately be decided on the basis of how the country views Obama's completed work; do we want somebody to continue running with the torch, or are we looking for a fixer? When it's all said and done (unless something goes hugely awry in the next few years, and I pray that it does not, for the sake of our nation) Obama will probably leave office with an approval rating a smidgen north of 50%. If the Republicans want to siphon away enough Democratic swing voters to win, then they need to choose a candidate who is capable of representing compromise while having his own unique set of policies/ideals. To me, Bush embodies that candidate from his demeanor to his agenda. He can be contrarian to Obama without being his opposite. I think he has enough Poppy in him to appeal to my parents (the waning, yet still lucrative component of the Republican electorate), but enough wild card (the Catholicism, Wifey) to have cross-appeal. And then just sprinkle a little Dubya charm on top.

I don't see this in Rand Paul. I don't see this in Chris Christie. Paul, especially, is a weak candidate to me -- he's too radical for 2016. Christie's best shot at snagging the nomination (at this point) is if Obama's approval ratings continue to stagnate and he can come out campaigning with guns ablaze. That, and if he can somehow escape the multiple ongoing fiascos in his state.

Oh, yeah, and I'd pick Romney as Bush's VP candidate.

Julio3000
01-21-2014, 04:35 PM
I think the party is blustering more right than they really are, at least right now. If you subscribe to the 'Pendulum Swing' theory, the country is already well on its way to a more right of center aligning after two terms with a decidedly left-leaning President.

IMO, 2016 will ultimately be decided on the basis of how the country views Obama's completed work; do we want somebody to continue running with the torch, or are we looking for a fixer? When it's all said and done (unless something goes hugely awry in the next few years, and I pray that it does not, for the sake of our nation) Obama will probably leave office with an approval rating a smidgen north of 50%. If the Republicans want to siphon away enough Democratic swing voters to win, then they need to choose a candidate who is capable of representing compromise while having his own unique set of policies/ideals. To me, Bush embodies that candidate from his demeanor to his agenda. He can be contrarian to Obama without being his opposite. I think he has enough Poppy in him to appeal to my parents (the waning, yet still lucrative component of the Republican electorate), but enough wild card (the Catholicism, Wifey) to have cross-appeal. And then just sprinkle a little Dubya charm on top.

I don't see this in Rand Paul. I don't see this in Chris Christie. Paul, especially, is a weak candidate to me -- he's too radical for 2016. Christie's best shot at snagging the nomination (at this point) is if Obama's approval ratings continue to stagnate and he can come out campaigning with guns ablaze. That, and if he can somehow escape the multiple ongoing fiascos in his state.

I guess conventional wisdom says that certain interests would insist on a rw firebreather or at least a garden variety holy joe as VP on a Bush ticket.

There's just something about Jeb—he looks enough like Vincent D'Onofrio's Full Metal Jacket character to creep me the **** out.

Sir, Leonard Lawrence, sir!

jpx7
01-21-2014, 04:57 PM
after two terms with a decidedly left-leaning President.

Here, I beg to differ.

50PoundHead
01-21-2014, 04:59 PM

I don't disagree with your synopsis. I've spent my life around this stuff and it will sort out over the long run for the Republicans. I just don't know the time frame. I agree that the US is (and has been) a center-right country from its inception that undergoes periodic center-left hiccups. For the life of me, I can't figure out how some folks think Obama is this far left guy. He's left-of-center, but I don't think he's driving along in the ditch like some seem to think.

Julio3000
01-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Here, I beg to differ.

For reals.

Hawk
01-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Here, I beg to differ.

Do you believe Obama is centrist?

Hawk
01-21-2014, 05:10 PM
I guess conventional wisdom says that certain interests would insist on a rw firebreather or at least a garden variety holy joe as VP on a Bush ticket.

Lindsey Graham? :smilet-digitalpoint

Krgrecw
01-21-2014, 05:41 PM
I thought Jebb would have the best chances to beat Hillary months back but he will need one of a Latino, black or woman as his VP. GOP has to get away from always running old, white guys who people think are out of touch with young folks and minorities.

Balance Jebb with some young blood.

jpx7
01-21-2014, 06:34 PM

Overall I'd say he's even slightly right-leaning, compared to what I would label "decidedly left-leaning."

57Brave
01-21-2014, 07:03 PM
I thought Jebb would have the best chances to beat Hillary months back but he will need one of a Latino, black or woman as his VP. GOP has to get away from always running old, white guys who people think are out of touch with young folks and minorities.

Balance Jebb with some young blood.

Or, how about someone that advocates policies people vote for! If our (R) contingent would pay attention to the exit polls of the last election they'd see...
Last time (R) put forward a national candidate simply because they fit a certain demographic she wound up 2 years down the road babbling incoherently on Fox instead of getting morning national security briefings.
Man, just the thought boggles.

//////////////////////////

Jeb's family is on the record that they don't want him running. And if he did, after the debacle that was the Romney candidacy and the way (R) read the results, he will never make it out of primaries. Suppose he does -- he will spend the next 3 months trying to separate himself from the Iraq War and the collapse of 2008.

As a (D) voter -- sure put your eggs in Jeb's basket. These past two weeks we've watched what is/was seemingly (R)'s only chance to the White House piss on his shoe.
Sorry guys, but that is what is out there

Hawk
01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Overall I'd say he's even slightly right-leaning, compared to what I would label "decidedly left-leaning."

I guess that would depend on what your perception of modern liberalism is.

Krgrecw
01-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Or, how about someone that advocates policies people vote for! If our (R) contingent would pay attention to the exit polls of the last election they'd see...
Last time (R) put forward a national candidate simply because they fit a certain demographic she wound up 2 years down the road babbling incoherently on Fox instead of getting morning national security briefings.
Man, just the thought boggles.

//////////////////////////

Jeb's family is on the record that they don't want him running. And if he did, after the debacle that was the Romney candidacy and the way (R) read the results, he will never make it out of primaries. Suppose he does -- he will spend the next 3 months trying to separate himself from the Iraq War and the collapse of 2008.

As a (D) voter -- sure put your eggs in Jeb's basket. These past two weeks we've watched what is/was seemingly (R)'s only chance to the White House piss on his shoe.
Sorry guys, but that is what is out there

GOP fund raisers love Jebb. Hes still very we'll liked in Florida. He'd win Florida. GOP needs to win Florida. He's the only one who has a shot to beat Hillary.

zitothebrave
01-21-2014, 10:12 PM
GOP fund raisers love Jebb. Hes still very we'll liked in Florida. He'd win Florida. GOP needs to win Florida. He's the only one who has a shot to beat Hillary.

Risk at losing North Carolina and Ohio. Republicans may be better off going to a libertarian candidate like Johnson. If the middle of the roaders would vote for him he could poach maybe a few from the other side.

57Brave
01-21-2014, 11:16 PM

I don't know he could win the primary in Florida let alone a general election

Hawk
01-22-2014, 07:05 AM
I don't know he could win the primary in Florida let alone a general election

What makes you believe that, 57?

Bush left office in 2007 with approval ratings above 60%. Just saying.

57Brave
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
The (R) base is far different than it was in 2007. High profile (R) still seems to think they lost those two elections because they weren't far enough to the right.
Policy wise where is Jeb different than McCain or Romney?

For instance, would Jeb stand by his previous position on Stand Your Ground? Or would he be looking at the general election - where to have even a prayer he would have to disavow.
Another reason is his family didn't appreciate Tallahassee over S Florida or the spotlight that went with Governorship -- I really dont think the fishbowl of DC would suit -- It's a long way off but I just don't see the path

Hawk
01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
For instance, would Jeb stand by his previous position on Stand Your Ground? Or would he be looking at the general election - where to have even a prayer he would have to disavow. Another reason is his family didn't appreciate Tallahassee over S Florida or the spotlight that went with Governorship -- I really dont think the fishbowl of DC would suit -- It's a long way off but I just don't see the path

All valid points. FWIW, Bush came out immediately (early March) and said that Stand Your Ground did not apply to the Martin case; "Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn’t mean chase after somebody who’s turned their back." Nevertheless, I think you are right in saying that his role in signing that law into practice would certainly be a (negative) issue receiving much play in a 2016 primary or general election.

57Brave
01-22-2014, 04:17 PM
It will be interesting to see how (R) primaries operate this time. I know they will not be using the same debate formats . Perhaps that will neuter the people that cheered someone dying or booing service people that disagreed with them. I really think that will play big the election cycle. Another for instance - Romney had to carry that baggage around the country with him in the general election. IF (R) can lower the tone of the primaries and avoid 47% talk it could get interesting.

But, there are too many Neo-Sessionists and Ted Cruz' and Rick Santorums. Should someone of gravitas stand up to them = sorta the way Bill Clinton did with Jesse Jackson in 92 ...
but this is a different time. If (R) did have a Clinton in the wings (like (D) did at that) time our instant information society would have already identified him and tied him the closing of the George Washington Bridge.

This is why the Christie screw up/kerfuffle is such a big deal. He was the on;ly member of the party to have the weight to stand up to the crazies.
I still think this is a coup

mossy
01-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I still think Christie is electable. The young people like him, he has charisma, and is willing to take jokes from Jimmy Fallon.

Besides Christie or Jeb Bush, who is electable on a national scale?

Who do the Dems have? Hillary has baggage of her own, and I can't think of anyone else who will run against her.

The Iraq war, Benghazi, and Obamacare are far worse in my mind than a bridge scandal.

zitothebrave
01-23-2014, 10:06 PM

http://www.politicalcompass.org/charts/us2012.php

zitothebrave
01-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Gary Johnson

Krgrecw
01-24-2014, 01:29 AM
Gary Johnson isn't electable. He's probably more electable than Ron Paul but he's not electable..

goldfly
01-24-2014, 03:36 AM
that graph is right

Obama got elected and suddenly became a right of center president

goldfly
01-24-2014, 03:38 AM
I still think Christie is electable. The young people like him, he has charisma, and is willing to take jokes from Jimmy Fallon.

Who do the Dems have? Hillary has baggage of her own, and I can't think of anyone else who will run against her.

The Iraq war, Benghazi, and Obamacare are far worse in my mind than a bridge scandal.

it honestly doesn't matter at this point who the left has

it only matters who the right has or how the right will suppress voters in swing states

they (republicans) don't have the numbers to actually win on a national scale anymore

Hawk
01-24-2014, 07:32 AM
they (republicans) don't have the numbers to actually win on a national scale anymore

Maybe Obama is the American version of Hindenburg.

Hawk
01-24-2014, 07:35 AM
http://www.politicalcompass.org/charts/us2012.php

Arbitrary much?

In case anybody forgot, Mitt Romney was not elected president in 2012 and has only bought/remodeled his homes since then.

Hawk
01-24-2014, 07:49 AM

Cuomo is an interesting possibility, but I don't think he would ever run against Hillary.

Krgrecw
01-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Cuomo is an interesting possibility, but I don't think he would ever run against Hillary.

I don't think Cuomos statement last week won him any national supporters

sturg33
01-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Gary Johnson isn't electable. He's probably more electable than Ron Paul but he's not electable..

Why do you think Gary isn't electable? He won governor twice, more than Romney.

zitothebrave
01-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Arbitrary much?

In case anybody forgot, Mitt Romney was not elected president in 2012 and has only bought/remodeled his homes since then.

What's the difference between Obama and Romney? *** marriage and abortion? That's about it. Both are pro-Military industrial complex, pro-big government, etc.

Everything else is marginal. They have small skirmishes in areas that really don't matter that much aside from for a minority of people. Like taxing on the top 1% of earners.

Compare Obama to Jill Stein. What did Stein want?

To create small local sustaining jobs. Aka, offer a competitive advantage to your mom and pop, not to Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Renogiate or eliminate NAFTA. Raise minimum wage, Socialized medicine. Cut the military budget, reworking tax code so it's actually progressive. Break up massive banking conglomerates. Ending the Fed and replacing it with an actual central bank. Tuition free education. Repeal the patriot act, repeal NDAA, So on and so forth.

That's someone who's left leaning in how people portray the democrats. And some dems are like that, but not any who've ran for president. Every Dem and Rep who's ran for president has basically been down the middle. Leaning right and authoritarian especially lately.

50PoundHead
01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
I am loath to post protected content, but there is a portion of a great article in the latest edition of The New York Review of Books that I think helps dispel the notion that Obama is a "falling off the edge" left liberal. What is the protocol on that? Can I post the pertinent portion of the article with a notation or is any posting of protected content forbidden?

sturg33
01-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Back to Gary Johnson - while he's no Ron Paul, he's basically the perfect candidate for today's for American people:

- He is pro-*** marriage
- He is pro-choice (sadly)
- He is anti-war except for humanitarian efforts
- He is a strong fiscal conservative, and has a proven track record of fiscal excellence (unlike Romney's record in Mass)

He basically is the best of both world for liberals and conservatives.

Hawk
01-24-2014, 10:13 AM
What's the difference between Obama and Romney? *** marriage and abortion? That's about it. Both are pro-Military industrial complex, pro-big government, etc.

Everything else is marginal. They have small skirmishes in areas that really don't matter that much aside from for a minority of people. Like taxing on the top 1% of earners.

Compare Obama to Jill Stein. What did Stein want?

To create small local sustaining jobs. Aka, offer a competitive advantage to your mom and pop, not to Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Renogiate or eliminate NAFTA. Raise minimum wage, Socialized medicine. Cut the military budget, reworking tax code so it's actually progressive. Break up massive banking conglomerates. Ending the Fed and replacing it with an actual central bank. Tuition free education. Repeal the patriot act, repeal NDAA, So on and so forth.

That's someone who's left leaning in how people portray the democrats. And some dems are like that, but not any who've ran for president. Every Dem and Rep who's ran for president has basically been down the middle. Leaning right and authoritarian especially lately.

I'm finding it difficult to understand what Mitt Romney has to do with my characterization of Obama. Especially considering we have zero Romney presidential legislation to judge, but that's far beyond the point. My comment was not meant to be partisan - just observational. Comparing Obama to other politicians (Republican or Democrat) is counterintuitive to understanding where his political compass rests. Unless you are arguing towards a new definition of modern liberalism, which I guess I could buy into on some level.

To me, it's black and white: Obama has put into practice the beginnings of socialized medicine (administered by a national 'big' government), has backed down on immigration, passed ARRA (extension of welfare benefits), Kagan and Sotomayor to Supreme Court, a more multilateral approach to foreign relations ... and has gone 'liberal' on virtually every social issue: stem cell research, *** marriage, DADT, gun control.

How's that not decidedly left-leaning would go against my notions of what the left is - from both traditional and contemporary standpoints. Not calling him a pinko.

Hawk
01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
I am loath to post protected content, but there is a portion of a great article in the latest edition of The New York Review of Books that I think helps dispel the notion that Obama is a "falling off the edge" left liberal. What is the protocol on that? Can I post the pertinent portion of the article with a notation or is any posting of protected content forbidden?

Is it pay content?

You can post excerpts with a link and quotations, generally.

weso1
01-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Gary Johnson doesn't have the personality to contend.

50PoundHead
01-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Is it pay content?

You can post excerpts with a link and quotations, generally.

It is pay content. I am a subscriber, so I can get to it, but a non-subscriber could not. I was only planning on posting an excerpt of the entire article. I am a strong supporter of property rights, intellectual or otherwise.

sturg33
01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Gary Johnson doesn't have the personality to contend.

And Mittens & McCain did?

weso1
01-24-2014, 03:44 PM
And Mittens & McCain did?

No, but they lost. Both have better personalities than Gary Johnson.

zitothebrave
01-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm finding it difficult to understand what Mitt Romney has to do with my characterization of Obama. Especially considering we have zero Romney presidential legislation to judge, but that's far beyond the point. My comment was not meant to be partisan - just observational. Comparing Obama to other politicians (Republican or Democrat) is counterintuitive to understanding where his political compass rests. Unless you are arguing towards a new definition of modern liberalism, which I guess I could buy into on some level.

To me, it's black and white: Obama has put into practice the beginnings of socialized medicine (administered by a national 'big' government), has backed down on immigration, passed ARRA (extension of welfare benefits), Kagan and Sotomayor to Supreme Court, a more multilateral approach to foreign relations ... and has gone 'liberal' on virtually every social issue: stem cell research, *** marriage, DADT, gun control.

How's that not decidedly left-leaning would go against my notions of what the left is - from both traditional and contemporary standpoints. Not calling him a pinko.

He hasn't put into place socialized medicine. He placed mandated health insurance which screams something that Big Pharma/Big Med loves. Not that people actually want. Obama hasn't backed down on immigration, he's just catering to the hispanic vote. Not real immigration reform. 2 supreme court appintees doesn't mean anything. We could go on with the list of presidents who appointed someone who went totally against them. Obama's multilateral approach to foreign nations is bombing them with drones, bomb them with cruise missiles, or invade them with troops. He added the drone aspect.

As far as gone liberal on virtually every social issue, you may have a point there, but nothing he has signed into law has gone into place on them. He just makes his points loudly.

Obama is right leaning authoritarian in his ways. He's pro-wall street, he's pro-big business, he's anti-individual. He is very simialr to Bush.

If he was truly left leaning, he wouldn't push for war in Syria, support NSA spying until it's obviously unpopular, allocate hundreds of billions to nuclear weapons, sign NDAA, extend the patriot act, and not to mention hands down the most un-left thing he did was sing into law the Monsanto Protection Act.

zitothebrave
01-24-2014, 05:51 PM
No, but they lost. Both have better personalities than Gary Johnson.

Really? McCain I can see as a maybe, but Romney is as dull as a baseball bat. Johnson at least has some personality.

weso1
01-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Really? McCain I can see as a maybe, but Romney is as dull as a baseball bat. Johnson at least has some personality.

I'm not saying Romney's personality was good, I'm just saying Gary Johnson's personality is that bad in regards to running for President. Romney did have good statesmanship in his personality, but just wasn't very relatable. You need both statesmanship and relatability. Gary Johnson has neither, imo. He doesn't seem very presidential and only the libertarians relate to him.

57Brave
03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Thought it might be a good time to revisit this thread and see just how well Gov Christie is weathering the storm - and, the "everybody does it" meme.
Interesting to note which (D) Governors have been in the drink with Christie since the first of the year

Let's move on
//////

FLEMINGTON, N.J. — For several weeks, since it went national, Gov. Christie has dismissed “Bridgegate” as a story driven by partisan enemies and the media. To support that claim Christie rightly noted that in his town halls since January not one of the dozens of voters he engaged directly asked him about it.

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/21/partys_over_for_christie_gets_lambasted_in_town_ha ll_over_bridge_flap_for_first_time/

57Brave
02-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Good night Chris Christie. Don't let the door hit you ...

Before the bridge scandal, Christie was known as a governor who transcended New Jersey’s reputation for toxic politics and toxic dumps. He took on the exploding costs of the state’s pension system, reformed property taxes, and worked with his opponents in the legislature, and he provided decisive leadership after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. But the scandal hinted at a darker story line: that Christie’s barrelling style, and the dealmaking that had secured his rise through New Jersey politics, might as easily undo him.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/04/14/crossing-christie

BedellBrave
02-10-2016, 04:40 PM
He could be a really super delegate for Hillary couldn't he?

50PoundHead
02-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Good night Chris Christie. Don't let the door hit you ...

Before the bridge scandal, Christie was known as a governor who transcended New Jersey’s reputation for toxic politics and toxic dumps. He took on the exploding costs of the state’s pension system, reformed property taxes, and worked with his opponents in the legislature, and he provided decisive leadership after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. But the scandal hinted at a darker story line: that Christie’s barrelling style, and the dealmaking that had secured his rise through New Jersey politics, might as easily undo him.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/04/14/crossing-christie

This is kind of revisionist. Christie managed to be a somewhat conservative governor in a blue state, but he ruled like a bull in a china shop. To me, the thing that has been most telling about his tenure in New Jersey is his attempt to dismantle the decision in the Abbott v. Burke education funding lawsuit pretty much by fiat until the Supreme Court stepped back in and told him he had to undo the cuts in funding he had ordered. Unlike Scott Walker (who I detest), who ran his program through the Wisconsin legislature, Christie did so much of his governing outside of the process.

zitothebrave
02-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Christie was a mediocre governor. He was better than Corzine, but that's not saying much. Corzine was your stereotypical corrupt NJ politician.

Julio3000
02-10-2016, 08:00 PM
I confess to liking Chris Christie, whatever his faults. If I were in NJ or anywhere close, I might feel differently, but from afar I kinda think he's ok.

57Brave
02-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Provided he isn't indicted ,, does he have a future in politics
or has he used it up?

I still think he was set up with the bridge closings

Oklahomahawk
02-10-2016, 09:56 PM
I confess to liking Chris Christie, whatever his faults. If I were in NJ or anywhere close, I might feel differently, but from afar I kinda think he's ok.

It's hard not to like Christie at least a little bit, I mean he was a Dallas Cowbys fan growing up and idolized Roger Staubach. He even has one of his signed footballs in his office

57Brave
09-23-2016, 10:11 AM
been a while since we looked in on Trumps presumptive AG and errand boy

This is what a scandal looks like. Only took 2 years to flush out

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Key-NJ-Legislators-Looking-at-Christie-Impeachment-Sources-394560041.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Key members of the New Jersey Assembly have begun researching whether or not to bring articles of impeachment against Gov. Chris Christie, NBC 4 New York has learned.

This follows early testimony in the George Washington Bridge scandal trial, which some Assembly members believe shows the Republican governor had more knowledge of the lane closures in Fort Lee during and after that week in 2013 then he has led the public to believe.

Christie Was Told About Plan to Close GWB Lanes: Prosecutor

One committee chairman who did not want to be named said "clearly obstruction of justice" would be an obvious charge against the governor.

Spokespeople for Christie were not immediately available to comment.

The decision on impeachment will be up to Democratic Speaker Vincent Prieto and if he gives the go-ahead, the Assembly Judiciary Committee would begin the process.

Christie 'Flat Out Lied' in GWB Case: Ex-Aide

It takes a majority of the 80-member Assembly to vote articles of impeachment.

If it passes the Democrat-controlled body, the trial would be in the Senate, where two-thirds of senators would be needed to convict. Although Democrats hold a majority in the Senate, they would need three Republican senators to join them if all Democrats vote to convict.

Gov. Christie Orders Shutdown of NJ Transportation Projects

Christie is nearing the end of his second term, with a new governor due to be sworn in 16 months from now. The one-time presidential candidate and key Donald Trump advisor is often mentioned as a possible attorney general in a Trump administration.

Earlier this month, Christie acknowledged to MSNBC that the bridge scandal was likely a factor in Trump passing him over for vice president.

Source: Key NJ Legislators Looking at Christie Impeachment: Sources | NBC New York http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Key-NJ-Legislators-Looking-at-Christie-Impeachment-Sources-394560041.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand#ixzz 4L5ly0klo
Follow us: @nbcnewyork on Twitter | NBCNewYork on Facebook

57Brave
09-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Katie Kyros Verified account
‏@KatieKyros

Wildstein testifies Christie staffers used personal email addresses in order to keep emails secret #Bridgegate

Michael Cohen
‏@speechboy71

Michael Cohen Retweeted Katie Kyros

I'm old enough to remember when Chris Christie attacked Hillary Clinton for using a private email account

57Brave
09-27-2016, 10:21 AM
BREAKING: David Wildstein testifies that he and Bill Baroni "bragged" to @GovChristie abt GWB lane closures as they were going on

Hawk
09-27-2016, 11:26 AM
BREAKING: David Wildstein testifies that he and Bill Baroni "bragged" to @GovChristie abt GWB lane closures as they were going on

If it was before lunch time it doesn't count.

57Brave
09-28-2016, 06:41 AM
There is a political analogy between Christie and Trump. Christie's original appeal was his image as someone who would tell it like it is and stand up to power. He was often shown on TV telling reporters and dissenters to "shut up!"
He promoted that tough image which he thought might propel him to become the Republican presidential nominee. As it turned out, we now know that both Christie and Trump are egregiously cynical politicians and liars unfit to hold any public office. The question isn't, should Christie be impeached?
It is how and when.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/nyregion/bridgegate-trial-chris-christie.html?_r=1

57Brave
09-28-2016, 07:43 AM
at it's core replace the name Chris Christie with HRC

isn't this the scandal that since 1990 people have tried to pin to HRC ?

I see no speculation a potential Attorney General used his influence to not be indicted -- (payed off?)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a death in an emergency vehicle stuck in bridge closure traffic ?

Suppose the name Clinton was attached to Bridgegate.

Where there is actual malfeasance yet Gov Christie gets to stand outside.
Replace the name David Wildstein with Sidney Blumenthal . The reaction ???

Do I smell a double standard --
why ?

sturg33
09-28-2016, 07:51 AM
There is a political analogy between Christie and Trump. Christie's original appeal was his image as someone who would tell it like it is and stand up to power. He was often shown on TV telling reporters and dissenters to "shut up!"
He promoted that tough image which he thought might propel him to become the Republican presidential nominee. As it turned out, we now know that both Christie and Trump are egregiously cynical politicians and liars unfit to hold any public office. The question isn't, should Christie be impeached?
It is how and when.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/nyregion/bridgegate-trial-chris-christie.html?_r=1

So the issue here is Christie and Trump are liars?

GO HILARY!!

57Brave
09-28-2016, 08:00 AM
no, the issue is (R) and (L) have the scandal they have been looking for for 25 years right under their noses.
All the intrigue, political backstabbing, influence peddling,election bullying, abuse of power, vengeance ...
Wondering - didn't we just explore ALL of those characteristics of a scandal and attach them to someone ?

No, this isn't about HRC, it is about cherry picking , double standards and willfull ignorance of fact and reality.
Or simply turning a blind eye to what Bedell calls "your team"

Can anyone link the Fox News report on yesterdays proceedings?
Drudge or Breitbart --

https://images.newrepublic.com/19778fd781fbbfb8da750788eba351661ebf09a0.jpeg?w=60 0&q=65&dpi=1&fm=pjpg&h=389

Lock Chris Christie up!

While the New Jersey governor has long denied that he knew about the George Washington Bridge lane closures until after they were reported in the news, David Wildstein, the mastermind behind Bridgegate, testified on Tuesday that he and Bill Baroni, the governor’s appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, had “bragged” about the lane closings to Christie as they were happening during a 9/11 memorial ceremony. Christie, he testified, laughed in response. Needless to say, the governor did nothing to intervene in the following two days during which the lanes were closed and traffic snarled into a multi-day gridlock.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/137266/lock-chris-christie-up

57Brave
10-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Matthew Yglesias ‏@mattyglesias 9m9 minutes ago

In other news, Donald Trump’s transition director is facing a criminal summons.

57Brave
11-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Matt Arco Verified account
‏@MatthewArco

BREAKING: Kelly & Baroni were reached charged with 7 counts. Both found guilty on ALL charges. #Bridgegate

57Brave
11-15-2016, 11:11 AM
The Donald Trump transition, already off to slow start, bogged down further Tuesday with the abrupt resignation of former Congressman Mike Rogers, who had been coordinating its national security efforts.

Two sources close to Rogers said he had been the victim of what one called a "Stalinesque purge," from the transition of people close to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who left Friday. It was unclear which other aides close to Christie had also been forced out.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-transition-shake-part-stalinesque-purge-christie-loyalists-n684081?cid=sm_tw

Christie headed to a place far worse for his ilk.
Oblivion

Hawk
11-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Christie headed to a place far worse for his ilk.
Oblivion

You've been saying this for 10 months. I'll believe it when I see it.

57Brave
11-15-2016, 11:40 AM
no , 10 months ago he was sent on McDonald's runs.

Now he is banished - and on his own
and after all the grief he took for eating just 2 french fries !

57Brave
11-08-2017, 09:37 AM
I will miss this thread.

just for old times sake:

2 cheeseburgers
small fries
small chocolate milk shake

and get something for yourself ---- too
.................................................. ......

"your prison is walking through this world all alone"
remember ?

Runnin
11-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Don't you draw the Jack of Diamonds, boy, he'll screw you if he's able.

57Brave
04-26-2019, 05:27 AM
Since America's Mayor has taken so much of the spotlight lately lets check in on America's Governor

In her statement Wednesday, Kelly said the fact that she was punished for the scheme while other former members of Christie's administration -- including the former governor -- were not "does not prove my guilt. It only proves that justice is not blind."

The one that wont go away

cajunrevenge
04-26-2019, 07:44 AM
What did this fat piece of **** do?

Oklahomahawk
04-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Don't you draw the Jack of Diamonds, boy, he'll screw you if he's able.

A quasi-Eagles reference? Nice...

Runnin
04-26-2019, 08:36 PM
What did this fat piece of **** do?

He's allowing two aides, one a woman, to go to prison for 13 months for his screw up.

Of even uglier skullduggery is how he screwed over Bridget Kelly from the beginning. He sent his longtime lawyer buddy to her who said he was going to represent her and lied about having no conflict of interest. He then strung her along for a few weeks, getting to hear her full story and all the ways that she could potentially hurt Christie. Then he suddenly quit on her, leaving her without counsel and citing a conflict of interest, which Ms. Kelly suspected that he had from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSmD7dmRvZY