PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATED FIRST POST* ChopCountry Cooperstown Plans for July 27th, 2014.

The Chosen One
01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Update 6/23/'14.

I need to know who still plans on attending. Plan is to have dinner in Cooperstown or Albany on the Saturday before the Sunday ceremonies. The sooner I can get a head count, the sooner I can call a restaurant and reserve some tables for us.

So far we have:

SAV
GlavineBraves47 + 1 Guest
Knucksie

-----

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 2m
Braves fans will own Otsego County next July.

----
Another user (GlavineBraves47) and I have decided to make the trip to Cooperstown this year. He's in Boston and I'll meet him there and we'll make the pilgrimage from there.

Is anyone else potentially making plans to go up to see Glav, Maddux, and Cox get inducted?

Perhaps if enough of us from here go, we can get a little cheer section and I can get us some t-shirts.

---

CURRENT TALLY OF PRELIMINARY PILGRIMS:

8 most definitely
7 maybe probably

nsacpi
01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Since I'm living in NY now, I really should make the pilgrimage.

The Chosen One
01-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Since I'm living in NY now, I really should make the pilgrimage.

Not everyday one of your favorite managers and two of your favorite pitchers/players get inducted in the same year.

We may not have this happen for another 20 years when Heyward, Simmons, and Fredi get elected together. :facepalm:

nsacpi
01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
I think it will be a special year in more ways than one for Braves fans.

The Chosen One
01-08-2014, 08:50 PM
I think it will be a special year in more ways than one for Braves fans.
:fredi:

goldfly
01-08-2014, 08:56 PM
i will be there

had plans to go the day Maddux retired

still have them.

i don't need a shirt

The Chosen One
01-08-2014, 08:57 PM
i will be there

had plans to go the day Maddux retired

still have them.

i don't need a shirt

It was just an idea...:Sad:

zitothebrave
01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
I'll be heading up with my family sometime this year. I want to see the plaques so if they go early I may make a special trip. It's a long one, 5 hours from where I am now. So I don't think I could pull it as a day trip. 10 hours of driving is a little much.

Also damn son, driving to boston to go to cooperstown? Are you staying over in Boston?

The Chosen One
01-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Flying to Boston to meet up with GB47, then we'll ride to Cooperstown.

zitothebrave
01-08-2014, 09:14 PM
That's better then. I thought you were driving up there and that wouldn't make sense at all. Cause you'd be adding like 6 hours unnecessarily. Maybe more.

I'm pumped to go to Cooperstown, really excited to see what Ommegang did for with the new set up.

cajunrevenge
01-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Thats a long way off. I wanted to go for Smoltz and Chipper and I dont want to make the trip 3 times. Should my finances improve by July I might go. Would be a lot easier for me to carpool with a few other people if Biggio made it.

goldfly
01-08-2014, 10:07 PM
It was just an idea...:Sad:

i could change my mind on how it looks

but if it is mostly something about the board etc, i don't need one

not ****ting on your shirt idea

goldfly
01-08-2014, 10:11 PM
induction weekend is amazing time to be there

was at Dennis Eckersley and Paul Molitor's induction weekend (just happened to work out while on a baseball road trip)

a bunch of baseball nerds that love the game, town is full of them. remember being at a bar watching sunday night baseball and everyone just enjoying the game on and talking baseball stories

can't wait for that to happen and it be full of Braves fans

Millwood1Hitter
01-08-2014, 10:22 PM
How can I get in? How can I get tickets to the event, are they expensive?

Man it would be a treat to see my favorite pitcher ever Maddux get inducted, along with an all te great brave in tommy, and in my opinion the best manager ever in bobby. Just be fantastic along with seeing the HOF.

It would be nice to reminisce with a bunch of Braves fans, as well as hearing Maddog telling stories.

The Chosen One
01-08-2014, 10:25 PM
I think the ceremony is free since it's on an open field, but tickets to the museum, not sure how much it costs.

zitothebrave
01-08-2014, 10:44 PM
I think the ceremony is free since it's on an open field, but tickets to the museum, not sure how much it costs.

Museum is normally 20 bucks for a person, but they have discounts if you're a member of AAA, Active or retired military, member of a veterans organization, or a senior.

goldfly
01-08-2014, 10:54 PM
yeah, ceremony is free

gcbraves
01-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Even if I can't make it I want a shirt!

FreemanFan
01-08-2014, 11:18 PM
HOF Admission info:

http://baseballhall.org/plan-your-visit/entering-hall/hours-amp-admission

I'm planning to make the trip up from south GA if I can get the week off from work. I've never been to the Hall, so this is the perfect time to go. In addition to the induction ceremony, it looks like I'll need about 3 days to see everything inside. An opportunity like this may not come for another 20 years, if ever.

zitothebrave
01-08-2014, 11:26 PM
HOF Admission info:

I'm planning to make the trip up from south GA if I can get the week off from work. I've never been to the Hall, so this is the perfect time to go. In addition to the induction ceremony, it looks like I'll need about 3 days to see everything inside. An opportunity like this may not come for another 20 years, if ever.

There's a lot in the museum, but a long day there should be able to cover it. When I went with my dad and brothers. We spent I think about 5 hours inside and saw pretty much everything. Back then they had an Aaron exhibit, and I spent probably an hour and ahalf just looking and reading everything.

goldfly
01-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Even if I can't make it I want a shirt!

you can have mine ;)

goldfly
01-08-2014, 11:40 PM
HOF Admission info:

i wouldn't say you need 3 days but you can spend a lot of time in there

it is mecca for a baseball fan

gilesfan
01-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Because of mutual acquaintances, Ive met Bobby Cox a couple times and hes given me his tickets before (well, he gave me Hank Aarons). Obviously a big fan before, but even bigger after meeting him. Glavine was my Moms favorite player and she met him several times. I still have a lot of crap she collected from him. This might be a must do trip for me for sentimental reasons. I wish Chipper was in this class, would have been even cooler.

CyYoung31
01-09-2014, 03:35 AM
Because of mutual acquaintances, Ive met Bobby Cox a couple times and hes given me his tickets before (well, he gave me Hank Aarons). Obviously a big fan before, but even bigger after meeting him. Glavine was my Moms favorite player and she met him several times. I still have a lot of crap she collected from him. This might be a must do trip for me for sentimental reasons. I wish Chipper was in this class, would have been even cooler.

Might be a good idea to save up vacation time for Bryce Harper's induction.

Javyz1fan
01-09-2014, 04:11 AM
I'm really tempted to go, but it is over 550 miles from me. That kind of distance I tend to reserve for vacation, not a couple days excursion. If I did this, I would probably not make it to Atlanta this year, since that's about the same distance (Atlanta is about 580 miles away).

I definitely want to go at some point but just not sure when. Smoltz was by far my favorite of the Big Three, but this is a unique situation with 2 out of the 3 going in plus Bobby. I've never even seen anyone inducted into the Braves' HOF, so I can't eliminate options that way. Decisions, decisions.

Hawk
01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
It is tempting.

Where do fans usually stay? There are like 6 hotels near Cooperstown.

NYCBrave
01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Since I'm living in NYC and it's a 3 and a half hour car ride from there, don't have much excuse except needing to rent a car (people living in Manhattan don't drive lol).

zitothebrave
01-09-2014, 09:29 AM
It is tempting.

Where do fans usually stay? There are like 6 hotels near Cooperstown.

Just branch out a little more. It's not a nice hotel, but there's a Motel (they call it an inn, but it's a Motel) that's pretty cheap and not a far drive from town, downside to that will be finding parking. Unfortunately since they announce these things so far in advance, finding a hotel will suck I'm sure. But if worst comes to worst I'm sure there there places in Utica, Oneonta, or on of the other surrounding towns that would be like a 20 mile drive to Cooperstown.

JohnAdcox
01-09-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm planning to go.

Nerfherders
01-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Me and a buddy were talking about it. It is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity for a fan of any team to see three teammates go in at the same time.

The Chosen One
01-09-2014, 12:04 PM
So as of right now, the tally is:

7 most definitely, and 6 maybe.

The more the merrier! A once in a lifetime experience to have 3 guys from the same team go in... and this will most likely be the last time we see two 300 game winners go in together let alone teammates... and also the 3-4-5 winningest managers of all time.

CyYoung31
01-09-2014, 01:37 PM
I really want to go. But, not sure that I'll be able to, especially now that I live in Oregon.

zitothebrave
01-09-2014, 01:46 PM
So as of right now, the tally is:

7 most definitely, and 6 maybe.

The more the merrier! A once in a lifetime experience to have 3 guys from the same team go in... and this will most likely be the last time we see two 300 game winners go in together let alone teammates... and also the 3-4-5 winningest managers of all time.

I'll be along term maybe. If I have a job that can let me swing a day trip out there I may have to do it. Especially if my family's trip falls through or we go before the induction.

goldfly
01-09-2014, 03:44 PM
yall need to quit making excuses on why not to go

gilesfan
01-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Might be a good idea to save up vacation time for Bryce Harper's induction.

Got plenty of years to worry about that.

tomahawkchop
01-09-2014, 08:11 PM
I'll be there

yeezus
01-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I'll ask some of my friends if they'd want to go. I'll be a maybe.

The Chosen One
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Right now current tally is:

8 most definitely
7 maybe probably

weso1
01-09-2014, 11:11 PM
I'll only do it if I can wear a shirt that says chopcountry.com is da bomb.

The Chosen One
01-10-2014, 12:16 AM
I'll only do it if I can wear a shirt that says chopcountry.com is da bomb.

chopcountry.com
has tons
of makeup.

---
PatioDaddio
is my
Homeboy

---
Clique Leader
4-Life Too Sweet.

----
Ken Gurnick
is my
Homie

----
Maddux wipes his ass
with the clean towels
in the locker room. Be aware.

----
I see Maddux and Glavine,
Where the hell is Smoltz?

----
Can't wait to see
Cox erected in the Hall.

----

I came to see Joe Morgan.

----

Actually, why not just have a t-shirt with this on the front

Sponsored By: The Fredi Fanatics at chopcountry.com

thewupk
01-10-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm planning on going with my family.

thewupk
01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
chopcountry.com
has tons
of makeup.

---
PatioDaddio
is my
Homeboy

---
Clique Leader
4-Life Too Sweet.

----
Ken Gurnick
is my
Homie

----
Maddux wipes his ass
with the clean towels
in the locker room. Be aware.

----
I see Maddux and Glavine,
Where the hell is Smoltz?

----
Can't wait to see
Cox erected in the Hall.

----

I came to see Joe Morgan.

----

Actually, why not just have a t-shirt with this on the front

Sponsored By: The Fredi Fanatics at chopcountry.com

OBP isn't on the scoreboard

FreemanFan
01-11-2014, 12:13 AM
We're in south GA and planning to fly and rent a car. What would be nearby airports to fly into, probably from JAX, TLH or possibly ATL? Also, if anyone knows, how wheelchair accessible is the HOF museum? I think and the induction ceremony is on an open lawn, so that should be fine.

zitothebrave
01-11-2014, 12:35 AM
We're in south GA and planning to fly and rent a car. What would be nearby airports to fly into, probably from JAX, TLH or possibly ATL? Also, if anyone knows, how wheelchair accessible is the HOF museum? I think and the induction ceremony is on an open lawn, so that should be fine.

There are 3 airports within about 100 miles of cooperstown but none super close. Unless you know how to get to a small airstrip. You have Albany, Syracuse, and Binghamton. I think Binghamton is the closest but Albany is the easiest to fly into.

Going off memory, there are ramps to cooperstown, and I believe elevators to all the floors. I'm sure something like that is wheelchair accessible just by need, but I can't recall off the top of my head but my gut says it is.

bravesnumberone
01-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Don't think I can go, but I went in 2011 the week before the induction ceremony, and it's a wonderful place. Beautiful town, too.

lesak1313
01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm from Jersey and just booked hotel tickets for me and my girlfriend. I've only been up there once 13 years ago when I was 14. This ceremony is a once in a lifetime experience and we are both looking forward to taking it all in. I wasn't that concerned about finding a hotel in Cooperstown, but I don't think I had a choice. Maybe I was looking at the wrong websites, but it seemed everything was booked. Found a hotel about 45 minutes away for the 26th. We plan on going to the museum on Saturday and getting there early for the ceremony.

zitothebrave
01-11-2014, 04:06 PM
More hotels may become available. Sometimes for dates like that the early allotted rooms are few and go fast. Come April/May/June there may be more hotels available at a premium.

Bye Week
01-11-2014, 05:50 PM
I fly for free so if I can convince my wife to go I will be there or maybe one of buddies.

Knucksie
01-19-2014, 08:15 PM
I live in Western New York, and been thinking about this ever since the 90's. About 3 1/2 hours away. Have to makes plans sooner or later.

The Chosen One
01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
14 Probables
6 Maybes/Questionables

Sounds like it's going to be a party!

FreemanFan
01-21-2014, 12:59 AM
It looks like finding a hotel (3 adults, 3 nights, July 25-27) is going to be nearly impossible. I hope Zito is right about more rooms becoming available closer to HOF weekend. So far, only the Ramada Inn, New Hartford, NY looks open and anywhere near the HOF or the Clark Sports Center. The hotel has pretty bad reviews, but at this point I'll take just about anything.

cajunrevenge
01-28-2014, 04:15 PM
You can officially count me out. Would be nice to see Bobby go into the HoF but not interested in seeing Benedict Glavine or that Cubs pitcher go in. I'll save my money for Chipper and Smoltz.

The Chosen One
01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
You can officially count me out. Would be nice to see Bobby go into the HoF but not interested in seeing Benedict Glavine or that Cubs pitcher go in. I'll save my money for Chipper and Smoltz.

Just come to get drunk with us. lol

NinersSBChamps
01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Doubtful with a small chance I could make it.

Gary82
01-28-2014, 07:34 PM

benedict glavine and that cubs pitcher got us our only world series championship.

cajunrevenge
01-28-2014, 08:15 PM
And Drew Brees brought my football team their only championship too but if he chooses not to go into the hall of fame as a saint or signs with the Falcons I will **** on him too. I was the biggest Glavine fan in the world till he dumped me for the Mets. When I was 7 I went as Glavine for Halloween and my best friend as Avery. Championships are nice but increasingly meaningless in a sport that does not care about competitive balance. I dont recognize any accomplishments by the Yankees or their players so to me we won 4 championships.

All I really want is to shake Bobby, Chipper, and Smoltz's hand and thank them for their loyalty and great performance. I would rather cheer for players/coaches like them than win championships.

Gary82
01-28-2014, 08:55 PM
And Drew Brees brought my football team their only championship too but if he chooses not to go into the hall of fame as a saint or signs with the Falcons I will **** on him too. I was the biggest Glavine fan in the world till he dumped me for the Mets. When I was 7 I went as Glavine for Halloween and my best friend as Avery. Championships are nice but increasingly meaningless in a sport that does not care about competitive balance. I dont recognize any accomplishments by the Yankees or their players so to me we won 4 championships.

All I really want is to shake Bobby, Chipper, and Smoltz's hand and thank them for their loyalty and great performance. I would rather cheer for players/coaches like them than win championships.

Not even Gilesfan can doubt your intensity as a fan.

The Chosen One
01-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Smoltz took a few more to sign with Boston and chipper picked the Dodgers to win the series against us.

cajunrevenge
01-29-2014, 12:15 AM
I blame the Braves for Smoltz leaving and at that point he really should have just retired. There are several things that piss me off about Glavine leaving. First, it wouldnt bother me as much if he went to any team other than the Mets or Yankees. Second, saying he wanted to help end the streak was just twisting the knife in my wound. Third, he only took the Mets deal because he is a union shill and let the union thugs and his agent bully him into taking the biggest deal so other players would have more leverage in their contracts. He can pitch 8 shutout innings to win a world series clinching game but he doesnt have the balls to tell his agents and the union to go **** themselves.

There are few things I can stand less than a player who pretends like they dont have a choice in the matter. For example when a player says "well I want to stay here but thats between my agent and the team now" or "I need make sure I can feed my family" or "I really want to stay but thats up to the team now". 99% of those cases are bull****. McCann falls in that 1% in that it was best for both him and the Braves he goes elsewhere. Players hiding behind their agents so they dont look greedy is BS. Andruw wanted to stay a brave and he did something about it. I have so much respect for him doing that even though he eventually left. Andruw didnt get shafted by the Braves, he got a very fair deal.

I know people worship the almighty dollar but if you would turn down 15 million a year to be a brave to take 20 million a year to play for someone else your not really a fan of the team. I think agents and the union try and crush the fandom in players so this doesnt happen. When McCann was drafted his mom wouldnt let him talk to the team because she knew he would sign for next to nothing to be a Brave. 10 years later he is turning down 14 million a year to go to another team.

Gary82
01-29-2014, 01:06 AM
I know people worship the almighty dollar but if you would turn down 15 million a year to be a brave to take 20 million a year to play for someone else your not really a fan of the team. I think agents and the union try and crush the fandom in players so this doesnt happen.

I've been a die hard fan of the Braves since I was 9. I'd take that deal if it was from a team in a major city. I could still root for the Braves and live in a penthouse in Manhattan, and I'm sure that's what Mac will be doing.

cajunrevenge
01-29-2014, 01:22 AM
I guess I just dont understand. What are you going to buy with that 5 million more a year that 15 million a year wont buy you? I could understand if you a fringe player or a reliever where you might only make a few million over your career, those guys I completely understand taking more money. But 100 million to play for your favorite team or 120 million to play for the Mets. Maybe I just have a different set of morals that most of other people. After about 25 million I think I would just give the rest away. I would just feel guilty having so much money and not using it to help people who have nothing.

NinersSBChamps
01-29-2014, 01:15 PM
I guess I just dont understand. What are you going to buy with that 5 million more a year that 15 million a year wont buy you? I could understand if you a fringe player or a reliever where you might only make a few million over your career, those guys I completely understand taking more money. But 100 million to play for your favorite team or 120 million to play for the Mets. Maybe I just have a different set of morals that most of other people. After about 25 million I think I would just give the rest away. I would just feel guilty having so much money and not using it to help people who have nothing.

A 20 million dollar home?

cajunrevenge
01-29-2014, 03:48 PM
You can buy a 20 million dollar house if you make 15 million a year.

The Chosen One
04-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Has anyone made arrangements yet?

Jetblue is finally in Savannah... a ticket from SAV to BOS (I'm meeting GlavineBraves047) is like $180.

cajunrevenge
04-24-2014, 07:38 AM
My finances have improved remarkably this month so I am considering it again. Would really like to hear from anyone that has booked a trip or been before. Can I just fly up there, rent a car and check into a local hotel. Or would I just be better off just gettinglb's travel package.

The Chosen One
04-24-2014, 07:41 AM
From what I've read, the hotels are pretty much all going to be booked, so you're better off trying to find a room outside the city.

NinersSBChamps
04-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Has anyone made arrangements yet?

Jetblue is finally in Savannah... a ticket from SAV to BOS (I'm meeting GlavineBraves047) is like $180.
Is Boston the closest major airport?

NinersSBChamps
04-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Albany is 71 miles away from Cooperstown. Last time I was there I had a run in with the cops. Basically got drugged at the bar and ended up doing something stupid and the cops beat my ass. I need to return to Albany.......and apologize.

The Chosen One
04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm flying in to Boston because that's where GlavineBraves047 lives. We're gonna drive to Cooperstown.

FreemanFan
04-26-2014, 08:49 PM
It looks to me like the drive from the airport to the hotel won't be the biggest inconvenience. It's the long drive from the hotel to the museum and ceremony site. For those who plan to visit the museum for a couple of days or more, it will be a long commute each day. It looks like I will miss this trip, but I'll get there someday.

zitothebrave
04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
I won't be making that trip because my family and I are going in mid-august.

Krovahn
04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Albany is the closest to Cooperstown; however, Rochester is only about 2.5-3 hours away and is a nice city. If you don't mind a few hour drive each way, it may be the way to go.

If I do have the funds to go, I will be driving from out there. What really sucks, though, is that I will be in Albany for about a week, 2 weeks after the ceremonies.

GlavineBraves47
05-21-2014, 12:20 AM
I've been checking hotels for months and Albany is about as close as you're going to get. It's about 70 miles from Cooperstown. You can also get a tent and stay in the woods.

goldfly
05-21-2014, 12:51 AM
I won't be making that trip because my family and I are going in mid-august.

weak sauce

goldfly
05-21-2014, 12:52 AM
I've been checking hotels for months and Albany is about as close as you're going to get. It's about 70 miles from Cooperstown. You can also get a tent and stay in the woods.

i have been keeping an eye on airbnb

some "ok" deals that way

when i get back from the world cup is when i am going to dive head first into this plan

The Chosen One
05-21-2014, 01:30 AM
Can we get a current headcount of those coming?

The tentative plan is to reserve tables for dinner at a restaurant for us in Cooperstown. I think most of us will be visiting the museum on Saturday, so Saturday night would be ideal for everyone to have dinner here... maybe we can run into some of the HOF'ers, I have a feeling maybe JS, Justice, Javy, Chipper, Mazzone, maybe Andruw too will be there to see Bobby/Maddux/Glavine get inducted. Smoltz is already confirmed to be there as he's working the HOF for MLB Network. Would love to buy JS a beer and ask him why he loved using the phrase caliber so much or run into any of the other guys. Maybe a Keith Lockhart sighting?

Then of course Sunday we should have our own little cheering section. About 2 months away from the big weekend! :tchop:

Knucksie
06-17-2014, 08:32 PM
The dinner sounds like an excellent idea.

Knucksie
06-22-2014, 06:27 PM
What's the latest for the weekend? I've booked a stay in Albany for the Saturday night. What's the word on meeting for dinner? Confirmed here!

The Chosen One
06-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Plane tickets purchased. My hotel is in Albany also.

I guess I should call now to book dinner reservations.

Knucksie
06-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Since I'll be driving in from WNY, it'll make the most sense to head directly to Cooperstown on Saturday, then check into to the Holiday Inn in Albany after dinner. Anyway, count me in!

The Chosen One
06-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Updated first post, please read.

NinersSBChamps
06-23-2014, 01:57 PM
I think I was on the fence initially, but I am definitely out. School and work would not allow me to make this once in a lifetime trip.

Hope you cats have a blast though!

FreemanFan
06-23-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm out, too. I hope everyone has a great weekend, though!

zitothebrave
06-23-2014, 09:08 PM
I'll be going to Cooperstown in August, and I'm going to Jersey that weekend, so I'm for sure out. Maybe I'll pee on someone in the shower to show some respect.

goldfly
07-08-2014, 01:51 AM
only a few more weeks

can't wait to get up there

The Chosen One
07-11-2014, 01:49 AM
only a few more weeks

can't wait to get up there

Can I count you in for dinner with the rest of us the Saturday night of the HoF weekend?

goldfly
07-11-2014, 01:54 AM
where? what time?

edit: just seeing the first post is updated. let me give it a look and see if it works

2nd edit: not much info there. haha. i am not exactly sure where our group is staying as of yet but i would say don't put me in the reservations cause of that but i could be a late add and it could be worked around i am sure. just keep me updated on info. after this upcoming wednesday i won't be here other than maybe the tuesday before the hof weekend

The Chosen One
07-11-2014, 08:06 AM
It would be in alb or Coopers. Either one.

goldfly
07-12-2014, 01:58 AM
word

i understand that, i was saying, we aren't sure if we are staying in Cooperstown or Albany or maybe south etc.