PDA

View Full Version : WEDNESDAY MINORS FINAL 8/4/21; Don't Look Now, But ...

rico43
08-03-2021, 11:56 PM
... Since his demotion to Gwinnett, A.J. Minter has done the following:
6 appearances
6 innings pitched
6 saves
0 hits
0 walks
8 Strikeouts

Just sayin'.
--------------
WEDNESDAY MINORS RESULTS

All Times Eastern

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 4, Charlotte 1

WP: J.Rodriguez (2-3) 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
Lee 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Biddle 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Newcomb 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Minter (Save, 6) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Camargo 1-4, HR (10th), 3 RBI
Pache 1-4, R
Waters 0-1, R, 3 BB
Contreras 1-4, 2B

CLASS AA

Birmingham 1, Mississippi 0 (11)

SP: Tarnok 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 6 K (95 pitches)
White 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Javier 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
LP: Hernandez (3-1) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER(1R), 0 BB, 2 K

Langeliers 1-4
Shewmake 2-5
Alexander 1-5, 2B

ADVANCED CLASS A

Greenville 5, Rome 4

SP: Shuster 4 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
Stallings 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
LP: Yeager (0-2) 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP

Waddell 0-3 (pro debut, 5th round pick)
Michel 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI, SB
Estrada 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI
Josephina 2-4, R

CLASS A

Game One
Charleston 3, Augusta 1 (7)

LP: Gordon (3-4, CG) 6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

Stephens 1-3, HR (12th), RBI
Horne 1-3, 2B

Game Two
Charleston 4, Augusta 3 (9)

SP: Acuna 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K
Austin Smith 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K (pro debut, 18th round pick)
Santos 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Williams 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
LP: Dum (0-1, BS) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER(1R), 0 BB, 1 K

Horne 1-4, 2B, RBI
Robinson 0-2 (pro debut, 15th round pick)
Conley 1-3 (1st pro hit)
Tolve 0-2
Robinson 0-2

ROOKIE COMPLEX

RCL Braves, idle again

50PoundHead
08-04-2021, 05:12 PM
Justyn-Henry Malloy (6th round pick in this year's draft) in the Game 1 line-up tonight for Augusta. Playing 3B and batting 7th.

50PoundHead
08-04-2021, 06:52 PM
Lots of 2021 draftee debuts tonight. In addition to Malloy, Waddell in Rome and Conley and Robinson in Augusta. Tolve in the Augusta line-up tonight after playing a game in the FCL last week.

clvclv
08-05-2021, 08:05 AM
Not sure anyone had any questions about Minter - he was struggling with the same mechanics and location issues EVERY high-leverage RP struggles with at times. The problem was that Snitker kept running him out there when he needed to hit the reset button. Chapman went through the same thing a few weeks ago, but Boone handled things correctly - getting him completely away from high-leverage work for a bit. He has walked a few (four) guys, but has given up ONE HIT since July 21st.

It was impossible for Minter to get out of his own way and just let it go because he kept getting used in the same situations - he was in his own head.

Carp
08-05-2021, 09:43 AM
It doesn't help that Snit let's him pitch the RHH's far too often. I know the rule change makes it harder for LOOGYs, but maybe don't put him in a situation where he ends up facing the heart of their lineup who all happen to be RHH? That happened far too often in the first month or two of the season with both Minty and Newk. I know we were short on pitchers with some injuries, but how about just play the match-ups Snit? That's always going to be your most likely scenario for success.

UNCBlue012
08-05-2021, 09:48 AM
I think Minter will be a fantastic reliever as soon as Snit stops deploying him in the seventh, eighth or ninth innings, matchups depending, of course. He's a good RP who doesn't have high-leverage mentality.

IslandBrave
08-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Waters with 3 BBs? What bizzaro world are we living in?

Enscheff
08-05-2021, 11:59 AM
It doesn't help that Snit let's him pitch the RHH's far too often. I know the rule change makes it harder for LOOGYs, but maybe don't put him in a situation where he ends up facing the heart of their lineup who all happen to be RHH? That happened far too often in the first month or two of the season with both Minty and Newk. I know we were short on pitchers with some injuries, but how about just play the match-ups Snit? That's always going to be your most likely scenario for success.

Are you suggesting Snit may not be using his BP arms in the optimal manner? How dare you?!?!

CJ9
08-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Waters with 3 BBs? What bizzaro world are we living in?

He's up to 10.5 BB% this year. Just wish the K% would come down.

thethe
08-05-2021, 12:22 PM

Slightly inflated because the numbers while he played hurt were awful but he definitely needs to make more consistent contact. The walk numbers are encouraging and what that is telling me is that these strikeouts may be in deeper counts. Strikeout nonetheless but at least working that count have other ancillary benefits to wins and loses.

clvclv
08-05-2021, 12:41 PM

I'm not nearly as concerned about the number of Ks as I am about what he's chasing.

I wouldn't classify myself as someone who "regularly" gets to watch Gwinnett, but I've watched more than just a handful of their games - enough of them that I don't consider myself someone who "scouts their boxscores". Waters swings at more than just a few really uncompetitive pitches, to the point that he reminds you of the bad version of Riley at times. The problem with that is that while Riley looked overmatched some of the time. he was facing significantly better pitching.

I wouldn't describe AAA Pitchers as "scrubs" by any stretch, but from what I've seen there's a significantly less than zero chance the Pitchers at this level carve him up just as badly as they did Pache if he doesn't shrink his zone quite a bit.

Southcack77
08-05-2021, 01:22 PM
With Waters I think I'd just be a little patient to see if a guy with his skills makes the necessary adjustments the first time he's been challenged.

I'm totally willing to trade him or Pache for good stuff, but some prospect fatigue being displayed here for sure.

I think the true number to read on his Ks is about 32% that's too high for his power profile, but my goodness he has time.

Deester11
08-05-2021, 03:57 PM
I'm not nearly as concerned about the number of Ks as I am about what he's chasing.

I wouldn't classify myself as someone who "regularly" gets to watch Gwinnett, but I've watched more than just a handful of their games - enough of them that I don't consider myself someone who "scouts their boxscores". Waters swings at more than just a few really uncompetitive pitches, to the point that he reminds you of the bad version of Riley at times. The problem with that is that while Riley looked overmatched some of the time. he was facing significantly better pitching.

I wouldn't describe AAA Pitchers as "scrubs" by any stretch, but from what I've seen there's a significantly less than zero chance the Pitchers at this level carve him up just as badly as they did Pache if he doesn't shrink his zone quite a bit.
This is absolutely what I've been saying and it is no slight to Waters even as I'm still the only Pache pusher. People were in disbelief about Pache and his bad ABS in the majors and if you've not seen enough of Waters, you wouldn't know that he's had stretches that make Pache look like the Babe. (Before this year). Even as I say that, Waters has shown signs of adjustments but clv hit it perfectly. It's not just swing and miss, its where some of the pitches are.

As Southcack said (yuck..lol) I wouldn't mind a trade of either if they get a good enough asset back.