PDA

View Full Version : NSA Be All Up in Them Texts

jpx7
01-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Well well well well well well well (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/16/nsa-collects-millions-text-messages-daily-untargeted-global-sweep):

The National Security Agency has collected almost 200 million text messages a day from across the globe, using them to extract data including location, contact networks and credit card details, according to top-secret documents.

The untargeted collection and storage of SMS messages – including their contacts – is revealed in a joint investigation between the Guardian and the UK’s Channel 4 News based on material provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The documents also reveal the UK spy agency GCHQ has made use of the NSA database to search the metadata of “untargeted and unwarranted” communications belonging to people in the UK.

The NSA program, codenamed Dishfire, collects “pretty much everything it can”, according to GCHQ documents, rather than merely storing the communications of existing surveillance targets.

The NSA has made extensive use of its vast text message database to extract information on people’s travel plans, contact books, financial transactions and more – including of individuals under no suspicion of illegal activity.

An agency presentation from 2011 – subtitled “SMS Text Messages: A Goldmine to Exploit” – reveals the program collected an average of 194 million text messages a day in April of that year. In addition to storing the messages themselves, a further program known as “Prefer” conducted automated analysis on the untargeted communications.

[...]

While GCHQ is not allowed to search through the content of messages without a warrant – though the contents are stored rather than deleted or “minimized” from the database – the agency’s lawyers decided analysts were able to see who UK phone numbers had been texting, and search for them in the database.

[...]

“In contrast to [most] GCHQ equivalents, DISHFIRE contains a large volume of unselected SMS traffic,” it states (emphasis original). “This makes it particularly useful for the development of new targets, since it is possible to examine the content of messages sent months or even years before the target was known to be of interest.”

[...]

Analysts are warned to be careful when searching content for terms relating to UK citizens or people currently residing in the UK, as these searches could be successful but would not be legal without a warrant or similar targeting authority.

[...]

The note warns analysts they must be careful to make sure they use the form’s toggle before searching, as otherwise the database will return the content of the UK messages – which would, without a warrant, cause the analyst to “unlawfully be seeing the content of the SMS”.

The note also adds that the NSA automatically removes all “US-related SMS” from the database, so it is not available for searching.

Of course "not available for searching" only qualifies the access that allied governments have to the data—you damn well know that it's still available for searching to the NSA itself.

gtcway
01-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Does this surprise anyone anymore? You've just got to accept the fact that anything you say or type into any electronic device can and will be stored for future "use".

Man, the NSA should have a killer collection of nude photos:cooter:

sturg33
01-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Gotta fight the terrorists!!!

sturg33
01-16-2014, 09:27 PM
In 2007 Barack Obama 'described a surveillance state run amok and vowed to rein it in. “That means no more illegal wiretapping of American citizens,” he declared. “No more national security letters to spy on citizens who are not suspected of a crime.”'

BedellBrave
01-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Nothing to see here. Move along.

gilesfan
01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Darn, the NSA knows I have to pick up milk on the way home.

jpx7
01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
In 2007 Barack Obama 'described a surveillance state run amok and vowed to rein it in. “That means no more illegal wiretapping of American citizens,” he declared. “No more national security letters to spy on citizens who are not suspected of a crime.”'

This is one of the primary reasons I've been extremely disappointed with President Obama's administration. I don't think the Republican option in either election would have curbed these abuses anymore so, but that Obama has so specifically contravened his own pre-Presidential rhetoric and assurances is a shameful travesty.

mossy
01-31-2014, 10:12 PM
Didn't the Patriot act make this pretty much inevitable? Does anyone really think text or any other electronic monitoring started in January of 09? Maybe I'm missing the point.

That said, yes, I am disappointed with the way the current has handled a lot of things.

But how much power do our puppets really have?

weso1
02-01-2014, 10:45 PM
This is one of the primary reasons I've been extremely disappointed with President Obama's administration. I don't think the Republican option in either election would have curbed these abuses anymore so, but that Obama has so specifically contravened his own pre-Presidential rhetoric and assurances is a shameful travesty.

Let me ask you this though. Don't you think it's possible that Obama met with his security officials and looked at their information and decided that maybe he was just simply wrong? We are on the outside looking in after all. How can we say for sure what decision we would make without all the facts?

goldfly
02-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Let me ask you this though. Don't you think it's possible that Obama met with his security officials and looked at their information and decided that maybe he was just simply wrong? We are on the outside looking in after all. How can we say for sure what decision we would make without all the facts?

i honestly don't care what the security officials had to say

we believe in the idea or we don't

we believe in freedom and the ideas that we as people should be free etc or we don't "don't piss in my face and call it rain"

weso1
02-02-2014, 02:04 PM
It's not really an issue of freedom so much as it is an issue of privacy.