PDA

View Full Version : Matt Olson to Braves!

Pages : [1] 2

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 01:12 PM
Per Passan

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 01:13 PM
I’m completely shocked with Freddie still out there. I’m a big Olson fan and we save a bunch of money here. Super sad the Freddie era is over

ixiXSolidXixi
03-14-2022, 01:13 PM
Maybe we are moving Ozuna and signing Freeman too!! 😂

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 01:16 PM
AA wasn’t gonna get into a bidding war and I’m guessing the money and years were past of his comfort level

Super
03-14-2022, 01:22 PM
gave up Langeliers…damn.

oh well. welcome Matt Olson!

Tapate50
03-14-2022, 01:22 PM
Lol. I hope he gets 3/85 from LA now

Coach_Chris
03-14-2022, 01:23 PM
Wow, we gave up a lot....A LOT. Did not see that coming. Assuming he is signed for 8 years with the haul we gave up...

thethe
03-14-2022, 01:27 PM
Team like Braves cannot have 30M locked up in a slightly above league average player.

It just doesn't work. AA knows that.

bravesnumberone
03-14-2022, 01:29 PM
Better go ahead and start working on a long-term deal. Otherwise, it's right back in the same spot in two years.

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 01:30 PM
Olson is a beast and is from the area so I could see them working on an extension at the end of the season. I hate losing Langeliers but I’m glad we kept Harris and Grissom. Freddie over played his hand here.

thethe
03-14-2022, 01:31 PM
I wonder if a 3 year extension is in the cards and what it would cost.

Carp
Pache - a ton of potential but prospect status had taken a hit. Still, if the bat can even be league average, he should be an easy 3 WAR guy. Sucks to lose.

Langy - honestly ok with giving him up. Catching prospects always seem to be a bit overrated. And we are deep here.

Cusick - one of the highest potential arms in the organization. Sucks to lose him, but we have depth here.

Estes - one of the higher floors in the organization. But again, trading from depth.

thethe
Olson is a beast and is from the area so I could see them working on an extension at the end of the season. I hate losing Langeliers but I’m glad we kept Harris and Grissom. Freddie over played his hand here.

I just didn't want to give up Strider/Grissom. Still haven't left Waters island as well.

ixiXSolidXixi
But seriously Braves still have money to add Freeman and play Olson on the dh spot.

Allstar34bd
He didn’t overplay his hand. He wasn’t coming back, he let the Braves makes the move first so that he didn’t appear to be the bad guy.

Mad Dog Murph
03-14-2022, 01:32 PM
They just traded for one of the best 1B in the game, in his prime. What did you think it would cost? A case of popcorn and a bucket of balls? Of course it cost.

WaitingFor2017
03-14-2022, 01:32 PM
We will always have Freddie making the last out to gain us a WS title. Thanks, Freddie!

I’m excited about Olson!

thethe
03-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Pache - a ton of potential but prospect status had taken a hit. Still, if the bat can even be league average, he should be an easy 3 WAR guy. Sucks to lose.

Langy - honestly ok with giving him up. Catching prospects always seem to be a bit overrated. And we are deep here.

Cusick - one of the highest potential arms in the organization. Sucks to lose him, but we have depth here.

Estes - one of the higher floors in the organization. But again, trading from depth.

I'd agree. Having guys like Strider/Elder/Tarnok/Vodnik/Schuster make it possible to trade somone like CUsick/Estes.

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2022, 01:34 PM
But seriously Braves still have money to add Freeman and play Olson on the dh spot.

Absolutely no viable reason to sign Freddie now. Also Im sure AA called Freddie before closing the deal with the A's.

NinersSBChamps
03-14-2022, 01:35 PM
This means Freddie can finally be at third base!

bravesfanforlife88
03-14-2022, 01:37 PM
I feel like my right arm has been broken and started to atrophy but my left arm is now pumped up

jpx7
03-14-2022, 01:38 PM
I’m completely shocked with Freddie still out there. I’m a big Olson fan and we save a bunch of money here. Super sad the Freddie era is over

Price probably goes up a bit once Freeman is off the table. Plus the same two other teams chasing Freddie were chasing Olson.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 01:40 PM
Wow, we gave up a lot....A LOT. Did not see that coming. Assuming he is signed for 8 years with the haul we gave up...

Everybody's been waiting for Anthopoulos to push some real chips in. Here it is.

I wouldn't be shocked if he tries to extend Olson now, too.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 01:41 PM
LETS F’ing GO

jpx7

Freeman would be the DH. Olson is the better defensive player.

ixiXSolidXixi
Absolutely no viable reason to sign Freddie now. Also Im sure AA called Freddie before closing the deal with the A's.
Ozuna probably LF and Olson DH… Matt Olson contract probably is cheaper that Soler. We still have Waters and Harris coming to play center field.

McCann'sCans
03-14-2022, 01:43 PM
Wow. Unreal. So many mixed emotions.

Obviously sad to see Freddie go, but I think that contract becomes an albatross by 2024. We just can't allow that to happen. So glad we got to experience a World Series with him before he moved on.

I might be in the majority, but I'm actually more excited about Contreras' upside than Langeliers. I think Shea ends up being something like a rich man's Zunino, which would've been great for our roster. But I think Contreras has a shot to be really, really special.

Cusick profiles as a (good) reliever to me with a big fastball- I don't see anything there as a starter. Didn't like the pick at the time and this doesn't crush me.

I was starting to really like Pache based on his Twitter account alone and I still think he ends up having a good career. Shame to trade low on someone like him, but I get it. A little worried about CF defensively now- never felt comfortable with Duvall there.

I like Estes a lot more than most. He's probably the one who- especially in the A's org- I can see really biting us down the road.

But the bottom line is we found a way to ensure that our decline at 1B is marginal at best. We did it with an Atlanta kid who is in his prime and who we can keep around awhile, but we also keep our options open in the shorter term. Not only that, but we have an extra $18ish million to spend this season, which is exciting on its own. I truly think this was the best possible outcome.

CJ9
03-14-2022, 01:43 PM
Now we hope for Freddie to end up in the AL. Would be incredibly cool for him to go to Toronto.

thewupk
03-14-2022, 01:44 PM
AA finally makes the big trade and....I like it

Sucks that Freddie is gone but if he wants the super long deal then so be it.

Braves and Dodgers in the playoffs this year will have even more storylines. It's becoming quite the rivalry.

thethe
03-14-2022, 01:45 PM
For what its worth Olson was better than Freeman in things like Barrel/PA & and overall barrel percentage.

The Chosen One
Now we await the cringe Freddie Freeman Player’s Tribune article talking about how the fans and city of Atlanta molded him into the man he is today.

”You took this young Canadian boy from Southern California and showed him how to have some Soul. Thank you ATL.”

Jaw
Outstanding. Better production, lower salary, less risk of decline, and traded from positions of depth. I'm willing to help Anthopolous push the wheelbarrow that he must need to carry those balls around. Great move. Go get paid Freddie.

UNCBlue012
03-14-2022, 01:47 PM
Im sad, I’ll miss Freddie but I’m so stoked about this.

bravesfanforlife88
03-14-2022, 01:50 PM
Cristian pache
@cristianpache25
·
11m
My heart is broken. I just found out that I was traded to the A's. I know that's the way this business works, but I want Braves fans to know that I will be eternally grateful to him wherever he goes. Thank you for so much support, for so much love and for being so special to me.

mqt
I wonder what we spend the money on now in FA.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
AA should be fired if FF signs within $15 of our offer and for trading Lango. https://i.imgur.com/OD8yXsD.gif

Where will Olson sign in two years when we go through the same song and dance with him?

The Chosen One
Very good chance most of the fans in Braves County have zero clue who Matt Olson is. But they’ll be super prideful that they can brag he’s from ATL a hometown boy.

mqt
03-14-2022, 01:52 PM
AA should be fired if FF signs within $15 of our offer and for trading Lango. https://i.imgur.com/OD8yXsD.gif

Where will Olson sign in two years when we go through the same song and dance with him?

Two years from now we’d be starting to pay for Freddie’s decline years, so I’m not much worried about what happens then.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Wow. Unreal. So many mixed emotions.

Obviously sad to see Freddie go, but I think that contract becomes an albatross by 2024. We just can't allow that to happen. So glad we got to experience a World Series with him before he moved on.

I might be in the majority, but I'm actually more excited about Contreras' upside than Langeliers. I think Shea ends up being something like a rich man's Zunino, which would've been great for our roster. But I think Contreras has a shot to be really, really special.

Cusick profiles as a (good) reliever to me with a big fastball- I don't see anything there as a starter. Didn't like the pick at the time and this doesn't crush me.

I was starting to really like Pache based on his Twitter account alone and I still think he ends up having a good career. Shame to trade low on someone like him, but I get it. A little worried about CF defensively now- never felt comfortable with Duvall there.

I like Estes a lot more than most. He's probably the one who- especially in the A's org- I can see really biting us down the road.

But the bottom line is we found a way to ensure that our decline at 1B is marginal at best. We did it with an Atlanta kid who is in his prime and who we can keep around awhile, but we also keep our options open in the shorter term. Not only that, but we have an extra $18ish million to spend this season, which is exciting on its own. I truly think this was the best possible outcome.

This is pretty much exactly my take, re the prospects involved. I liked Estes a lot, had hope for Pache rebounding, like Contreras better than Langeliers long-term, and think Cusick is a huge wildcard with substantial reliever risk.

But that's what it takes to acquire—all due respect to Freeman—probably the current best 1B in the game, this side of Toronto.

Garmel
03-14-2022, 01:53 PM

WaitingFor2017
03-14-2022, 01:53 PM
If you’re AA, do you try to go ahead and extend Olson through his age 34 season of 2026? That would put him as a FA similar to Ozzie and Ronnie.

Tapate50
03-14-2022, 01:54 PM
Outstanding. Better production, lower salary, less risk of decline, and traded from positions of depth. I'm willing to help Anthopolous push the wheelbarrow that he must need to carry those balls around. Great move. Go get paid Freddie.

I'll be honest... its a VERY savvy move once you get over Freeman being gone.

I have a friend that can't stand FF. He's gonna be really happy.

thewupk
03-14-2022, 01:59 PM

AA continuing to show he's one of the best GMs in the league

Russ2dollas
I hate it.

I don't like giving up Langeliers and Pache for a 1b. I know he can hit. I would think a package like that could get us a good hitter at a premium position. It's only two years of control. I would not have done it. I would have at least changed Lango for Contreras or Pache for Waters.

This also makes me worried that we are truly cash strapped.

I can only defend it if we spend the rest of the money on another impact bat or arm.

Hudson2
I wish we could have gotten Manaea somehow. But we have a lot of money to get whatever we need.

VirginiaBrave
Does this put anyone on the board?

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 02:01 PM
MLB Network had a Olson/Freeman numbers comparison the other night and the main offensive categories they highlighted were something like a 2-2 tie. Of course they then declared how much better Freeman was. I can't find it online.

Garmel
03-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Does this put anyone on the board?

We can get Soler and possibly go after a #3 pitcher instead of a #4.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 02:04 PM

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:05 PM
MLB Network had a Olson/Freeman numbers comparison the other night and the main offensive categories they highlighted were something like a 2-2 tie. Of course they then declared how much better Freeman was. I can't find it online.

but FF could be had for $. Olson cost us a ton of prospect capital.

thewupk
03-14-2022, 02:06 PM

And Freddie is likely to be way overpaid at the end of his contract

The Chosen One
Didn't realize Olson had like three fielding bible awards.

Chip is gonna be so sad because everyone loves how he scoops baseballs on low and bad throws.

Super
I hate it.

I don't like giving up Langeliers and Pache for a 1b. I know he can hit. I would think a package like that could get us a good hitter at a premium position. It's only two years of control. I would not have done it. I would have at least changed Lango for Contreras or Pache for Waters.

This also makes me worried that we are truly cash strapped.

I can only defend it if we spend the rest of the money on another impact bat or arm.

lol if you offer Contreras and Waters instead the deal isn’t made. Pache has fallen too much for that package to get a player at a premier position.

Tapate50
03-14-2022, 02:07 PM

Should recoup a draft pick for his exit I guess.

Not a "ton" either. Our farm system is....not good.

Super
03-14-2022, 02:07 PM

literally already over Freeman being gone.

McCann'sCans
03-14-2022, 02:11 PM
Feels like a Pujols situation. Everyone couldn't fathom that he would leave St. Louis. A couple years later, every Cardinals fan was thanking their lucky stars that they didn't sign him to an albatross contract. I think we'll be feeling the same after our fourth straight title in 2024 as Freddie is showing serious decline for the Dodgers.

Hulavol
03-14-2022, 02:12 PM
Said this in the other thread too: the big league is now much better and in much better shape for the window to stay open.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 02:13 PM
Feels like a Pujols situation. Everyone couldn't fathom that he would leave St. Louis. A couple years later, every Cardinals fan was thanking their lucky stars that they didn't sign him to an albatross contract. I think we'll be feeling the same after our fourth straight title in 2024 as Freddie is showing serious decline for the Dodgers.

I don't think Freddie would decline as bad as Pujols.

Fred is a gym rat. Pujols really let himself go. I think Fred will stay in shape but who knows how much that will counter his regression.

Pujols offensively was elite elite. So he fell off a bigger cliff. Freddie never been that close.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 02:14 PM

I'm trying to warm up to it. Don't like losing Lango (I think that hurt and was as shocking as Freeman) but Contreras has always been on my untouchable list. I'm just trying to make this day less sucky.

CJ9
03-14-2022, 02:15 PM
Link to Anthopoulos interview about 15 mins ago: https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/1503445124830924803?s=20&t=hp7XheQ-uZLQqRU9Ybqbkw.

Don't think I've ever heard this tone from him. He genuinely sounds emotional. Easy to see this was a tough decision.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 02:15 PM
Please don’t be to a division rival, the Dodgers, or the Yankees. That’s all I ask.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 02:16 PM
Obviously Braves feel confident in Contreras taking over from D'Arnaud eventually.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:16 PM
And Freddie is likely to be way overpaid at the end of his contract

and Langeliers and Pache and Cusik will be at minimum rates at the end of FF contract. Now they might not all be MLB players. I feel very confident SL was going to be at least an avg starting C.

VirginiaBrave
03-14-2022, 02:17 PM
We can get Soler and possibly go after a #3 pitcher instead of a #4.

I am thinking bigger. Correa bigger.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:19 PM
Should recoup a draft pick for his exit I guess.

Not a "ton" either. Our farm system is....not good.

Our Farm isn't bad. It's middle of the road. As we get expensive guys on the roster (Acuna, Olson, etc) we need cheap guys to balance. It's being described as a haul by neutral observers for a reason.

It's not like Olson has 4 years of control. He's making real money this year and will make a ton in his last arb year.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:20 PM
Obviously Braves feel confident in Contreras taking over from D'Arnaud eventually.

I'm going to have to agree. Maybe they really believe in Contreras' bat. Maybe they think the robot umps will make his defense less important.

AJonesATL
03-14-2022, 02:21 PM
Analytically its hard to argue against this unless your a prospect lover that hates giving up prospects. We got a guy that was statistically better last year, that is younger and likely about $20mm cheaper. Olson + another big bat is > Freeman next year - and that's ignoring the long-term.

Emotionally while it hurts, its pretty rare that we've seen the 30+ year old baseball player sign the big contract and make his old team regret letting him go years later. In a weird way the Acuna injury for those that are Acuna fanatics like I am, is almost the best example of why you should appreciate this trade. Why? Because Acuna is one of the most talented and exciting players ever - and this season sucked when he was healthy...and turned into the best memory Braves fans have had in almost three decades. The punchline is winning is >>> name on the back of the jersey. Punchline is while we have an emotional tie to players, it always comes down to the front of the jersey and this move should give us a better chance to win both now and in the future.

Just one question - Anyone have concerns or data alleviating concerns of how bad Olson was in 2020? The one thing he doesn't have is a track-record of consistency, albeit his power numbers look like they have always been there, so wondering if 2020 was a case of significant bad-luck?

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:21 PM
Please don’t be to a division rival, the Dodgers, or the Yankees. That’s all I ask.

FF will go to the dodgers and they are going to be so stacked. Only good part of the playoff expansion is maybe randomness in that format lets the Dodgers get bit.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 02:23 PM
Analytically its hard to argue against this unless your a prospect lover that hates giving up prospects. We got a guy that was statistically better last year, that is younger and likely about $20mm cheaper. Olson + another big bat is > Freeman next year - and that's ignoring the long-term.

Emotionally while it hurts, its pretty rare that we've seen the 30+ year old baseball player sign the big contract and make his old team regret letting him go years later. In a weird way the Acuna injury for those that are Acuna fanatics like I am, is almost the best example of why you should appreciate this trade. Why? Because Acuna is one of the most talented and exciting players ever - and this season sucked when he was healthy...and turned into the best memory Braves fans have had in almost three decades. The punchline is winning is >>> name on the back of the jersey. Punchline is while we have an emotional tie to players, it always comes down to the front of the jersey and this move should give us a better chance to win both now and in the future.

Just one question - Anyone have concerns or data alleviating concerns of how bad Olson was in 2020? The one thing he doesn't have is a track-record of consistency, albeit his power numbers look like they have always been there, so wondering if 2020 was a case of significant bad-luck?

2020 was a weird season since it was a third of the games.

Freeman’s usual cold months never came in so he stayed hot the entire 2.5 months and won an MVP.

Ozuna almost won the triple crown.

jsebe10
03-14-2022, 02:23 PM
Per DOB;

Alex Anthopoulos fought back tears as he discussed the Olson trade, which he said was the toughest decision he’s had to make as a GM, and it was clear he meant the Freddie Freeman aspect of it without saying his name.

jsebe10
03-14-2022, 02:24 PM
Per Joel Sherman:

Source told The Post that the #Braves did not give Freeman or his representatives a heads up that the Olson trade was coming.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:25 PM
lol if you offer Contreras and Waters instead the deal isn’t made. Pache has fallen too much for that package to get a player at a premier position.

I said or, not both.

And I would be ok without the deal being made.

I would rather have used that group to get a player at another position and either signed FF or Signed Soler to play 1B.

I feel like this is the package to get Bryan Renyolds, maybe throw in another arm. I'd rather put my eggs in the CF who can hit basket (with more control and a lower salary number) than in a 1B.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 02:26 PM
AA couldn't wait forever. I hope FF is happy he doesn't seem like the bad guy. Jives with the earlier report.

UNCBlue012
03-14-2022, 02:28 PM
Anyone heard from Enscheff about this?

The Chosen One
Per Joel Sherman:

Source told The Post that the #Braves did not give Freeman or his representatives a heads up that the Olson trade was coming.

AA said in a little press circle that they felt they couldn't wait any longer because there's too many other things they needed to address with the season coming up. Acuña not being ready the first month of the season.

So seems like FF's agent had months to figure out where Freddie stood, and kept milking it and prolonging a decision.

AA had to do what's best for the team first. And I think deep down he knew they gave FF a competitive offer btu he wasn't gonna be able to match or outbid LAD/NYY.

jpx7

That's pretty much the totality of his suitors.

UNCBlue012
DOB: Anthopoulos also noted that #Braves don't expect Acuña to be ready to play the outfield before late May. Said they had to put together team, decided last night to move forward (from Freeman) and that's when the A's trade talks got serious.

CrimsonCowboy
Can obviously tell how tough this was for Alex. I hate to see Freddie go and I know he does too. Sometimes, tough decisions need to be made.

nsacpi
03-14-2022, 02:29 PM
Sad to see Frederick the Great go. But this move is about financial flexibility and extenting the window of contention.

msstate7
03-14-2022, 02:30 PM
DOB: Anthopoulos also noted that #Braves don't expect Acuña to be ready to play the outfield before late May. Said they had to put together team, decided last night to move forward (from Freeman) and that's when the A's trade talks got serious.

So we can expect an OF soon

Super
03-14-2022, 02:31 PM
I'm going to have to agree. Maybe they really believe in Contreras' bat. Maybe they think the robot umps will make his defense less important.

Kiley has us at 27.

jpx7
t's being described as a haul by neutral observers for a reason.

Have to hope the Braves think they're selling high on everyone but Pache. I personally think this looks like a pretty fair deal for the second-best 1B in the game right now.

nsacpi
Better go ahead and start working on a long-term deal. Otherwise, it's right back in the same spot in two years.

I suspect Olson will only be a Brave for 2 years. Unless he extents for very team-friendly terms. AA only does long-term deals on team-friendly terms, and rightly so.

Russ2dollas
Link to Anthopoulos interview about 15 mins ago: https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/1503445124830924803?s=20&t=hp7XheQ-uZLQqRU9Ybqbkw.

Don't think I've ever heard this tone from him. He genuinely sounds emotional. Easy to see this was a tough decision.

Interesting that AA said, "Acuna can't PLAY THE FIELD until may." Is Acuna the DH? I'd think running the bases the way he does would be tough on the knees.

The Chosen One
So we can expect an OF soon

We have Duvall, Ozuna already. Heredia can play OF but I do not want to see him as a starter full time.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 02:34 PM

I was with you until the "Acuña sucked when he was healthy in 2021". He was, in fact, quite good, as he has always been thus far.

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 02:35 PM
Love Freddie but Olson is a stud and is younger and I think they’ll end up extending him. AA should be able to move pretty quickly on Soler and possibly Rosario both. What pitchers are available?

The Chosen One
Interesting that AA said, "Acuna can't PLAY THE FIELD until may." Is Acuna the DH? I'd think running the bases the way he does would be tough on the knees.

There's several options to go.

Acuna DH'ing until late May. Ozuna can DH after.

I think AA just looking for solid depth. We could bring Soler back or Rosario to be a body in the field. And then flip straws on Soler and Ozuna DH'ing when Ronald goes back to the field.

The Chosen One
I was with you until the "Acuña sucked when he was healthy in 2021". He was, in fact, quite good, as he has always been thus far.

Acuna had the highest WAR in baseball before he got hurt. So he was the de facto best player in baseball up to the point.

msstate7
03-14-2022, 02:36 PM
We have Duvall, Ozuna already. Heredia can play OF but I do not want to see him as a starter full time.

I say one of these 3: soler, Suzuki, or conforto

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 02:38 PM
Trading prospects isn’t without risk, but a guarantee of giving Freddie big money is that it limits the players you can retain or sign.

As long as payroll doesn’t go down (AA said it’s definitely “going up”), then this move makes much more sense than retaining Freddie. Olson’s prime window aligns perfectly with our core.

If the Braves gave the majority of their remaining payroll to sign Freddie, then we were always going to need to trade prospects (like Pache or Langeliers) to fill out the roster with more affordable options. I’m excited to see how AA uses the payroll flexibility.

Metaphysicist
End of the day, if we weren’t keeping Freeman its hard to ask for anything more than this.

Russ2dollas
Have to hope the Braves think they're selling high on everyone but Pache. I personally think this looks like a pretty fair deal for the second-best 1B in the game right now.

I think for me it's about 1B. I just do not put a lot of thought on 1B. If I'm moving a lot of my chips I want to get an impact bat who plays basically any other position. We could stick most anyone at 1B IMO. I know 1B defense helps. I know the confidence in FF over there helps the other INF. BUT I'd rather have Ozuna at 1B and Renyolds in CF (Obviously don't know if the Renyolds is gettable) than Olson at 1B.

jpx7
I said or, not both.

And I would be ok without the deal being made.

I would rather have used that group to get a player at another position and either signed FF or Signed Soler to play 1B.

I feel like this is the package to get Bryan Renyolds, maybe throw in another arm. I'd rather put my eggs in the CF who can hit basket (with more control and a lower salary number) than in a 1B.

Reynolds probably costs substantially more than the Olson package, for the very reasons you mentioned. Plus, as Encheff has noted frequently, the A's have a history of preferring a group of higher-floor, near-MLB players over one single blue-chip guy—which coincidentally made them a good fit for what Anthopoulos could offer.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:40 PM
I say one of these 3: soler, Suzuki, or conforto

I've always like COnforto. I think we could use another LH. Of course depends on dollars and years.

smootness
03-14-2022, 02:42 PM

He was saying the Braves sucked when Acuna was healthy last year, then took off later with him out. I think his point was that this isn't basketball, your team doesn't ride on a big star one way or another the way it does in other sports.

bravesnumberone
03-14-2022, 02:43 PM
So unless Olson is going to be the LF and Freddie at 1B, we better be getting another OF, maybe even two, pretty quickly.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:43 PM
Reynolds probably costs substantially more than the Olson package, for the very reasons you mentioned. Plus, as Encheff has noted frequently, the A's have a history of preferring a group of higher-floor, near-MLB players over one single blue-chip guy—which coincidentally made them a good fit for what Anthopoulos could offer.

But that is not this package unless you are really low on Pache. Pache and SL are low floor in the sense they have great Defense that will carry them. But they also have a lot of offensive potential. Cusick is a high ceiling guy we just drafted.

High floor low ceiling would be more like the WF Lefty over Cusick. Or Shewmake over Pache. Or taking a lot of the Davidson, Touki, Elder, Muller type guys.

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 02:44 PM
So unless Olson is going to be the LF and Freddie at 1B, we better be getting another OF, maybe even two, pretty quickly.
Put it this way, AA didn’t cry today because he had to trade Pache to make room for Olson in LF.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 02:47 PM
But that is not this package unless you are really low on Pache. Pache and SL are low floor in the sense they have great Defense that will carry them. But they also have a lot of offensive potential. Cusick is a high ceiling guy we just drafted.

High floor low ceiling would be more like the WF Lefty over Cusick. Or Shewmake over Pache. Or taking a lot of the Davidson, Touki, Elder, Muller type guys.

I like Langaliers, but I like Contreras more. And I'm just not sure I see the offensive potential of Pache; at this point, the hope was he'd hit enough to stick in the lineup.

Either way, I don't think any of that group is truly blue-chip—which is what I think it will take for Reynolds.

zitothebrave
03-14-2022, 02:48 PM
Honestly, Olson will never be as good as Freeman, I feel pretty comfortable saying that. I will always love Freddie, he's an icon. Just like Brian McCann, go get paid somewhere else. We'll always love you.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 02:51 PM
Honestly, Olson will never be as good as Freeman, I feel pretty comfortable saying that. I will always love Freddie, he's an icon. Just like Brian McCann, go get paid somewhere else. We'll always love you.

Olson was already better than Freeman in 2021?

AJonesATL
03-14-2022, 02:52 PM

Sorry my language wasn't clear - I was saying this season as a braves fan sucked when he was healthy - not acuna.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:53 PM
I will also say, this has to be a VERY clear message to the Max Fried, Riley, Dansby, Anderson etc of the world. IF you want to stay a brave, you need to talk to AA about an extension and you'll have to give up money.

If you want to maximize your money, no judgement, but AA is going to move on even if it makes him cry.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 02:54 PM

Olson has never played in a big game. FF has come through in big spots before. FF was also a leader. And that matters over 162.

FF also seemed to bully guys to play everyday. So maybe that gets better.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 02:54 PM

I think he means, no matter what Olson does, he will never match the love fans had for Freddie.

Freddie was supposed to be Chipper 2.0.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 02:55 PM
Olson has never played in a big game. FF has come through in big spots before. FF was also a leader. And that matters over 162.

Hadn't taken that into account but that's a big deal. He was basically overriding Snitker on guys resting.

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 02:59 PM
Hadn't taken that into account but that's a big deal. He was basically overriding Snitker on guys resting.
I look forward to Dansby and Ozzie not fading down the stretch this year because they aren’t broken

clvclv
03-14-2022, 03:00 PM
Almost think you HAVE TO follow this up by signing Conforto and possibly another OF.

I hear them saying they're fine with Ozuna playing defense in LF - I've yet to see anyone say it when someone can actually look them in the eyes when they do it. If you go get Conforto to play RF until Acuna's ready and sign Rosario or Joc to play LF until that point one of them can platoon with Ozuna at DH.

If nothing else, I think the main thing that can be gleaned from this deal is that they think Harris and/or Waters will be ready to assume everyday roles by Opening Day 2023.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 03:02 PM
I think he means, no matter what Olson does, he will never match the love fans had for Freddie.

Freddie was supposed to be Chipper 2.0.

Gotta take short-term deals at below-market to be Chipper 2.0.

I don't blame Freeman for not doing that—I'd probably do the same as him, in his position—but it's the reality of the situation.

bravesfanMatt
03-14-2022, 03:02 PM
I have never watch Olson play. I hope he can dig them like FF can. Our infielders don't throw the ball great all the time.

Tapate50
03-14-2022, 03:03 PM

Freeman has also disappeared in some big spots before. Last season's bias is showing.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:03 PM

I mean he already has been better than Freddie

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 03:04 PM
Klaw's trade article:
This seems like an incredible return for the A’s for two years of Olson as he comes off what is probably a career year.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 03:05 PM
Freeman has also disappeared in some big spots before. Last season's bias is showing.

Didn't say he was perfect. And Big spots happen in pennant races too, not just playoffs. Have the As had any pressure games?

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:05 PM

He's come through in some big spots... I remember him disappearing in big games more than coming through over the last few years. Last year was an exception.

Also Olson has played in big games... he's played in 9 career post season games. Granted he wasn't very good in those 9 games.

msstate7
03-14-2022, 03:07 PM
Klaw's trade article:
This seems like an incredible return for the A’s for two years of Olson as he comes off what is probably a career year.

Let's just hope we didn't get fleeced

Enscheff

Ouch. AA paid dearly to avoid paying an aging 1B.

I’m not sure I love this, but it probably means Freeman’s price got to the ludicrous range.

The Chosen One
He's come through in some big spots... I remember him disappearing in big games more than coming through over the last few years. Last year was an exception.

Lest we forget he started off the LCS like 0-8 with like six or seven strikeouts.

If you really look at his postseason numbers, a lot of his homers before 2020 in the playoffs were in blowout situations where we were already down and losing by a lot towards end of the game.

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 03:08 PM
Klaw's trade article:

He also thinks the Braves are better off with Olson than Freddie (and clearly better off once you factor in cost savings).

Enscheff
03-14-2022, 03:08 PM
There better be some big additions coming in the OF and at SP now.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:09 PM
Part of me is a little worried last year was a fluke for Olson... I mean... who cuts their K-rate in half in a year?

Tapate50
03-14-2022, 03:10 PM
Part of me is a little worried last year was a fluke for Olson... I mean... who cuts their K-rate in half in a year?

Guys who want AA to trade for them really really bad.

jpx7
Klaw's trade article:

Law is also the high-man on Pache, if I remember correctly, so that undoubtedly factors into his evaluation.

zbhargrove
There better be some big additions coming in the OF and at SP now.

Yup... IMO that's what will tell me how much I like this trade or now. We need 2-4 significant more pieces now.

thethe
03-14-2022, 03:11 PM
Yup... IMO that's what will tell me how much I like this trade or now. We need 2-4 significant more pieces now.

Why after this deal would we need 2-4 pieces? Olson/Freeman are effectively a push at this point.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 03:11 PM
Law is also the high-man on Pache, if I remember correctly, so that undoubtedly factors into his evaluation.

he is the no doubt high man on pache. But it's still just two years of control. I really think we should have only had to give up 2/3 headliners.

striker42
03-14-2022, 03:12 PM
I'm not worried about Olson. He's in his prime and is a very good bet to be a 4.5 win player at least. That's on par with what Freeman did last year.

I just want to see what they do with the cash they saved.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 03:13 PM
Why after this deal would we need 2-4 pieces? Olson/Freeman are effectively a push at this point.

Bc we needed them before.

Who is the LF? WHo is the CF? Who is on the bench? Who are the 4 and 5 starters? Do we have any impact RH RPs?

bravesfanforlife88
03-14-2022, 03:13 PM

Agreed. Theoretically, there should be a ton of cash available. They need 1 or 2 more bats, plus another starter

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:14 PM
Langeliers and Cusick are the ones that sting for me. I think both are going to be very good.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
Now go get Soler.

thethe
Bc we needed them before.

Who is the LF? WHo is the CF? Who is on the bench? Who are the 4 and 5 starters? Do we have any impact RH RPs?

Duval is our center fielder.

LF is the acquisition. I'm obviously of the belief that we need to use our depth of SP options to fill those spots.

We have TYler Yates for right handed pen help no?

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:15 PM
I'm not worried about Olson. He's in his prime and is a very good bet to be a 4.5 win player at least. That's on par with what Freeman did last year.

I just want to see what they do with the cash they saved.

Yeah but cutting your K-rate in half in one year is not something very common....

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:15 PM

Because we have a ton of money and could use huge upgrades in the OF and SP... what the heck is the point of trading for a cheaper option if you don't use those savings to really improve your club even more? Otherwise you just got rid of most of our Top 10 prospects for the same type team.

striker42
03-14-2022, 03:16 PM
Yeah but cutting your K-rate in half in one year is not something very common....

True, but he was about a 4 win player before that. So I think there's enough improvement there where 4.6 isn't much of a stretch

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:17 PM

LF is the acquisition. I'm obviously of the belief that we need to use our depth of SP options to fill those spots.

Duvall should not be our every day CFer lol

zbhargrove
True, but he was about a 4 win player before that. So I think there's enough improvement there where 4.6 isn't much of a stretch

I just hope his prime continue that complete player picture and he doesn't turn into something like Gallo

McCann'sCans

I tend to agree that Olson/Freeman are effectively a push. But we're down Soler, Rosario and Pederson from last year. Smyly started 23 games for us last year. Morton is coming off a broken leg and Acuna off a torn ligament. Unless we are assuming that those two will come back healthy quickly and we won't have any injuries this year, definitely seems to me that we need at least one OF and a SP.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:18 PM

Its Kirby Yates and he's coming off his second TJS and last I heard he won't be ready for a few months. Why would you count on that?

jpx7
03-14-2022, 03:19 PM

He was at 3.5 and 3.9 WAR in 2018 and 2019, respectively, before showing big gains in bb% in 2020 and 2021; then last year, he held those gains in bb% while cutting k%. It's quite possible he's just developing plate discipline as he enters his prime, to pair with his already-prodigious power (which should be aided by moving to a more hitter-friendly home park). Then there's the top-flight defense.

Outside of the sentimental elements re Freeman, it's hard to be too disappointed in this gamble by Anthopoulos.

thethe
Because we have a ton of money and could use huge upgrades in the OF and SP... what the heck is the point of trading for a cheaper option if you don't use those savings to really improve your club even more? Otherwise you just got rid of most of our Top 10 prospects for the same type team.

I'm all for a big addition. I just took umbridge with the idea we NEED to make 2-4 Big moves.

Give me Soler or Conforto in LF and then start extending the core that we have.

bravesfanforlife88
I tend to agree that Olson/Freeman are effectively a push. But we're down Soler, Rosario and Pederson from last year. Smyly started 23 games for us last year. Morton is coming off a broken leg and Acuna off a torn ligament. Unless we are assuming that those two will come back healthy quickly and we won't have any injuries this year, definitely seems to me that we need at least one OF and a SP.

AA did say in his press conference today that there are multiple holes on the team that need to be filled. So yes, I expect him to make at least 1-2 more deals before the start of the season.

thethe
Its Kirby Yates and he's coming off his second TJS and last I heard he won't be ready for a few months. Why would you count on that?

Because I don't care about the regular season honestly. I think Braves cruise to a playoff spot.

But being cautious as you say is the more prudent approach.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:20 PM
I'm all for a big addition. I just took umbridge with the idea we NEED to make 2-4 Big moves.

Give me Soler or Conforto in LF and then start extending the core that we have.

With how much money we have, it is insulting to the fans if you don't make 2-3 more significant moves with that much money available.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:21 PM
Because I don't care about the regular season honestly. I think Braves cruise to a playoff spot.

But being cautious as you say is the more prudent approach.

Well that and Venters is pretty much one of the only success stories to succeed after a second TJS. And even then, it didn't last long.

thethe

Nobody is going to disagree with the OF but I just think we need to find out if these guys can pitch in the 4/5 spots:

Ynoa
Wright
Muller
Strider
Elder
Davidson

I get if we only had 3-4 guys for that but we go pretty deep for guys that at least deserve a shot.

TURBO
Next 2 years are most likely going to be similar between Freeman and Olson. The value to us is avoiding paying likely 4 more years to an aging first baseman. This should give us a bit more flexibility. The prospect cost was high, but I trust AA has a plan for the saved money

thethe
03-14-2022, 03:22 PM
With how much money we have, it is insulting to the fans if you don't make 2-3 more significant moves with that much money available.

I think if you announce extensions for Fried/Riley that could go a long way to showing Brave fans you are committed t this core of winning.

DirkPiggler
03-14-2022, 03:23 PM

Remember that AA said last year that they considered activating Ronald and having him DH in the World Series.

thethe
03-14-2022, 03:23 PM
Also remember that AA likes to keep money in reserve for mid season upgrades. Never know when taking big money in a deal helps.

Its not about fielding your best team on April 7th.

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 03:24 PM
AA said payroll is definitely going up, so assuming a $160 million payroll, how much money does that leave us with?

Anybody here keep a tracker?

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:24 PM
I think if you announce extensions for Fried/Riley that could go a long way to showing Brave fans you are committed t this core of winning.

I'm not extending Fried with his injury/blister history.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:25 PM
Also remember that AA likes to keep money in reserve for mid season upgrades. Never know when taking big money in a deal helps.

Its not about fielding your best team on April 7th.

Never said it was... but the team is nowhere near ready to start the season.

thethe
I'm not extending Fried with his injury history.

Eh - Its mostly been blisters.

Fried is going to be an absolute workhorse moving forward.

The Chosen One
AA said payroll is definitely going up, so assuming a $160 million payroll, how much money does that leave us with?

Anybody here keep a tracker?

We usually keep room for mid-season additions.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 03:26 PM

Duval is a fake it in CF type.
Yates is not going to available for a while. His contract suggests we expect to get value in 2023.

I'm not sure who we can get to play in the OF for our pitching depth. We just traded our one big upside guy.

It's certainly possible we can get solid 4/5 production from a couple of Wright, Davidson, Strider, Muller, Touki, Ynoa and Elder. But that is a pretty big gamble on 40% of the rotation. Especially with Morton old and off a broken leg. And Fried seems like a guy that needs rest. I'm sure we'll sign an Annibal Sanchez type too. We do every year and they get 1 million if they make the team.

McCann'sCans
03-14-2022, 03:27 PM
Nobody is going to disagree with the OF but I just think we need to find out if these guys can pitch in the 4/5 spots:

Ynoa
Wright
Muller
Strider
Elder
Davidson

I get if we only had 3-4 guys for that but we go pretty deep for guys that at least deserve a shot.

Right, but even if we sign someone we still can put one of those guys in the rotation. It doesn't seem smart to expect Anderson/Morton/Fried to stay healthy all season. You don't want to suddenly be in May with a rotation of Morton/Elder/Ynoa/Wright/Muller because Anderson needs surgery and Fried has a blister.

thethe
03-14-2022, 03:27 PM
Never said it was... but the team is nowhere near ready to start the season.

Lets assume Soler in LF. By June 1st this is the lineup:

Acuna
Olson
Ozuna
Soler
Riley
Albies
TDA
Duvall
Dansby

That is a STACKED lineup. Depending on how Ozuna bounces back you could be talking about top 5 in the league.

Top 3 in the rotation is very good. Back end has a lot of high end talent guys.

Back end of bullpen is great with help from the arms that don't make it to the starting rotation.

I think the team looks very good after the one outfield signing.

Then at the deadline you take a big contract for a pitcher off a teams hands.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 03:28 PM
Remember that AA said last year that they considered activating Ronald and having him DH in the World Series.

I did not. Thank you.

With that info you have to assume that the plan is Ozuna in LF, Duvall in RF and Ronnie at DH. So we don't have a CF unless you are the one person who believes in Waters. Harris isn't on the 40 man and that is a crazy jump.

thethe
03-14-2022, 03:29 PM
Duval is a fake it in CF type.
Yates is not going to available for a while. His contract suggests we expect to get value in 2023.

I'm not sure who we can get to play in the OF for our pitching depth. We just traded our one big upside guy.

It's certainly possible we can get solid 4/5 production from a couple of Wright, Davidson, Strider, Muller, Touki, Ynoa and Elder. But that is a pretty big gamble on 40% of the rotation. Especially with Morton old and off a broken leg. And Fried seems like a guy that needs rest. I'm sure we'll sign an Annibal Sanchez type too. We do every year and they get 1 million if they make the team.

I'm good with taking a low risk option like that. But I WANT to give those guys the opporutnity to fail/succeed and that outcome means much more to the Braves long term than 8 million on some #4 veteran pitcher.

thethe
03-14-2022, 03:30 PM
Right, but even if we sign someone we still can put one of those guys in the rotation. It doesn't seem smart to expect Anderson/Morton/Fried to stay healthy all season. You don't want to suddenly be in May with a rotation of Morton/Elder/Ynoa/Wright/Muller because Anderson needs surgery and Fried has a blister.

But I would like to keep in reserve enough to make a significant upgrade at the deadline that costs nothing but assuming a contract.

zbhargrove
Lets assume Soler in LF. By June 1st this is the lineup:

Acuna
Olson
Ozuna
Soler
Riley
Albies
TDA
Duvall
Dansby

That is a STACKED lineup. Depending on how Ozuna bounces back you could be talking about top 5 in the league.

Top 3 in the rotation is very good. Back end has a lot of high end talent guys.

Back end of bullpen is great with help from the arms that don't make it to the starting rotation.

I think the team looks very good after the one outfield signing.

Then at the deadline you take a big contract for a pitcher off a teams hands.

Because the back end rotation guys you are counting on have proven nothing. We aren't a developing team, we are champs.... I'm not gambling rotation spots with arms that have barely had any sustained success in MLB... that's just not smart. And you're way too comfortable with the very real health problems that our staff has exhibited.

zitothebrave

I was talking more as far as ceiling and historical performance. Freeman at 27 had logged 2000 more PA and better offensive numbers even with the general not greatness of Freeman's first 2 seasons.

Nerfherders
This is a sad day for me.

thethe
03-14-2022, 03:33 PM
Because the back end rotation guys you are counting on have proven nothing. We aren't a developing team, we are champs.... I'm not gambling rotation spots with arms that have barely had any sustained success in MLB... that's just not smart. And you're way too comfortable with the very real health problems that our staff has exhibited.

I'm making a calculation that the team overall is good enough to make the playoffs after the obvious LF addition we are going to make.

I don't really care about adding a middle ot back end rotation spot to increase the regular season win total by 1-2.

Carp
03-14-2022, 03:36 PM
How many more good years will Freddie need to make the HOF? Will 4 more mostly healthy years around career averages be enough?

jpx7
I was talking more as far as ceiling and historical performance. Freeman at 27 had logged 2000 more PA and better offensive numbers even with the general not greatness of Freeman's first 2 seasons.

Freeman's been building a borderline HoF career. Olson will likely not be able to boast that by the end of his career.

Nevertheless, I think Olson will be the more productive player from 2022 until the end of Freeman's career. And unfortunately that is what the Braves needed to prioritize.

MadduxFanII
A lot to take in with this one.

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 03:44 PM
How many more good years will Freddie need to make the HOF? Will 4 more mostly healthy years around career averages be enough?

He doesn’t have the huge peak other HOF have, so his case will need to be made on sustained excellence. Four years at ~4 WAR will get him in the discussion (~60 WAR, ~ 400 home runs, ~2300 hits), but probably not lock status. I think he would need at least two more years of league average production on top of that to guarantee it.

Germanbrave
03-14-2022, 03:49 PM
You have to hate it when a 10+year franchise player leaves...

JxnMissFan
03-14-2022, 03:51 PM
I wonder if AA is more shaken by Freeman leaving or that he gave up 4 prospects to get a player? It's very much in character for AA not give out a long term high AAV deal. It's very out of character for AA to part with 4 prospects. Especially prospects with the potential to contribute.

I'm ok with what AA gave up. Pache and SL are most likely glove first players. They aren't the guys that can carry a team. Plus catcher seems to be one of the positions that can be efficiently addressed by bringing in free agent veterans. As all Braves fans know, the chance of minor league pitchers ever making it to the majors is a crap shoot. So no strong feelings from me when it comes to trading pitchers.

I think Freddie will go to a surprise team. I'm sure the Dodgers are only offering a 3 year deal. I hate to see Freddie go. I think he has 3 to 4 more good years in him but AA made the right call for the future of the Braves.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 03:52 PM
You have to hate it when a 10+year franchise player leaves...

But you have to love it when the GM acquires a similar or possibly slightly better solution when it happens,

msstate7
03-14-2022, 03:55 PM
Watch the Phillies or Mets get FF. I'd hate him in the division

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 03:57 PM

Well. FF tried to recruit Harper to ATL before.

maybe Harper brings him to PHI and they can be in perennial 3rd-4th place together and block October out of their schedules for boating and hunting.

Russ2dollas
03-14-2022, 04:03 PM
Mets could take FF and move Alonso to DH. That would be Cohen move.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:05 PM

Dodgers, Yankees, Jays, and Rays according to Bowman, FWIW.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 04:08 PM
Dodgers, Yankees, Jays, and Rays according to Bowman, FWIW.

Rays? Lol wtf is Bowman smoking.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:09 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/video/jim-bowden-joins-chris-hassel-to-discuss-the-breaking-news-that-the-braves-have-traded-for-1b-matt-olson-from-the-as/

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 04:10 PM
Freddie to Toronto is absolute best case scenario.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 04:11 PM
Lol wtf is Bowman smoking.

Lots and lots of brisket, I'd guess.

zbhargrove
03-14-2022, 04:13 PM
Rays? Lol wtf is Bowman smoking.

Strangely there have been a few Freddie Rays rumors. It was even reported they offered him a contract before the lockout.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 04:14 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/video/jim-bowden-joins-chris-hassel-to-discuss-the-breaking-news-that-the-braves-have-traded-for-1b-matt-olson-from-the-as/

clicked link then x’d out before the video loaded when I saw Bowden’s name.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:18 PM
clicked link then x’d out before the video loaded when I saw Bowden’s name.

He said we won the trade. Did you hear about Scott Hall?

Heyward
03-14-2022, 04:19 PM
Hate to see Freddie most likely leave but Olson is incredible. Hoping we can get a long-term deal so it's not a 2 and done kinda deal. More interested what AA does with the extra savings now. Wasnt sure if AA would make a prospect trade like this, but here we are. Freeman will probably be a Dodger, but thats that.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:20 PM
Hate to see Freddie most likely leave but Olson is incredible. Hoping we can get a long-term deal so it's not a 2 and done kinda deal. More interested what AA does with the extra savings now. Wasnt sure if AA would make a prospect trade like this, but here we are. Freeman will probably be a Dodger, but thats that.

Do you prefer Rosario or Soler. Interested in your opinion on the matter.

Enscheff
03-14-2022, 04:24 PM
There are a few ignorant narratives floating around..

Olson is not a notable downgrade from Freeman. In 11 full seasons, Freeman has posted 5+ fWAR exactly 3 times. He is projected for 4.5-5 fWAR next year. Freeman is a good player, but this notion that he's some irreplaceable superstar is pure nonsense. Olson is going into his age 28 season, and is projected for fWAR values just under Freeman's projections. He probably isn't going to run another 16.8% K rate, but even if it regresses a bit he should still be a ~4 fWAR player.

The Braves owners are not going to "pocket" the savings. Freeman will likely earn $30M in 2022, while Olson will earn roughly $12M. That difference will almost certainly be used to upgrade the OF, and fill a hole in the rotation. Doesn't everyone remember that Morton is coming back from a broken leg? And Fried has blister problems? And Soroka can't even walk? The rotation needs a legit #4, and this savings should allow it to happen.

This move is not for 2022. This move is for 2024 and beyond, when someone is going to be paying Freeman $30M during his age 35+ seasons. Guess what? There will be a good bat at 1B available in 2024 that doesn't require a 5-6 year commitment, and AA will get that guy at that time.

For the 547th time, and extension does not make a trade better. Paying market rate for a guy is not something that makes trade value any higher, or the trade any better.

The cost for Olson stings, and we should have been prepared for it. I was hoping it could happen without giving up Lango/Harris, but I suppose that was naïve.

Heyward
03-14-2022, 04:30 PM
Do you prefer Rosario or Soler. Interested in your opinion on the matter.

Umm, probably Soler but him and Ozuna is a little redundant. If Acuna wont be ready until May, then an outfielder is imperative.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 04:32 PM

Olson is not a notable downgrade from Freeman. In 11 full seasons, Freeman has posted 5+ fWAR exactly 3 times. He is projected for 4.5-5 fWAR next year. Freeman is a good player, but this notion that he's some irreplaceable superstar is pure nonsense. Olson is going into his age 28 season, and is projected for fWAR values just under Freeman's projections. He probably isn't going to run another 16.8% K rate, but even if it regresses a bit he should still be a ~4 fWAR player.

The Braves owners are not going to "pocket" the savings. Freeman will likely earn $30M in 2022, while Olson will earn roughly $12M. That difference will almost certainly be used to upgrade the OF, and fill a hole in the rotation. Doesn't everyone remember that Morton is coming back from a broken leg? And Fried has blister problems? And Soroka can't even walk? The rotation needs a legit #4, and this savings should allow it to happen.

This move is not for 2022. This move is for 2024 and beyond, when someone is going to be paying Freeman $30M during his age 35+ seasons. Guess what? There will be a good bat at 1B available in 2024 that doesn't require a 5-6 year commitment, and AA will get that guy at that time.

For the 547th time, and extension does not make a trade better. Paying market rate for a guy is not something that makes trade value any higher, or the trade any better.

The cost for Olson stings, and we should have been prepared for it. I was hoping it could happen without giving up Lango/Harris, but I suppose that was naïve.

Props for using ï

People who don't write Acuña make me sick.

thewupk
03-14-2022, 04:34 PM
Umm, probably Soler but him and Ozuna is a little redundant. If Acuna wont be ready until May, then an outfielder is imperative.

It's Joctober baby

CJ9
03-14-2022, 04:36 PM
It's Joctober baby

Kinda what I’m thinking. Need a lefty bat who can fake it in center. May as well bring him back.

clvclv
03-14-2022, 04:39 PM
Props for using ï

People who don't write Acuña make me sick.

Some of us have keyboards that don't offer the option.

Enscheff
03-14-2022, 04:40 PM

I'm not special. I just used spell check to fix it.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:44 PM

I slightly lean Soler over Rosario as well.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:45 PM

Just copy and paste it off of my screen name. You don't even have to leave the forum to do it. My computer is old and sucks and it's my screen name.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:46 PM
Acuña - No special keyboard needed...

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 04:47 PM
It's Joctober baby

I'd be fine with this as well. Can we get him for less than $10M that he declined?

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 04:48 PM

It doesn't matter if you're on a phone or computer... you simply hold the "i" button and the option for it will come. Same thing for ñ

clvclv
03-14-2022, 04:48 PM
It's Joctober baby

Conforto for 4/$72 million and Pederson (or Rosario) for 2/$16 million (the last year in both deals as team options) would put payroll at just over $165 million. Leaves the mish-mash of Wright/Ynoa/Muller/Davidson/Strider/Elder as the #4/#5 rotation options.

Have to wonder if Alex could get both Rosario and Joc back on matching one year plus option deals to play the corners until Acuna's healthy the best route to take wouldn't be to bring both back and add Greinke for a year at $10 million.

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2022, 04:51 PM
tell me who are the starting OFers based on todays roster. Opening day please.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 04:52 PM
tell me who are the starting OFers based on todays roster. Opening day please.

Would be Ozuna Heredia Duvall.

But it's pointless because AA will sign someone.

CrimsonCowboy
03-14-2022, 04:57 PM
JP Morosi

The #BlueJays have had conversations with Freddie Freeman’s camp and conveyed serious interest as his free agent decision nears, sources confirm. Freeman is a dual citizen of the U.S. and Canada and played for Canada at the ‘17 WBC.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 04:58 PM
JP Morosi

The #BlueJays have had conversations with Freddie Freeman’s camp and conveyed serious interest as his free agent decision nears, sources confirm. Freeman is a dual citizen of the U.S. and Canada and played for Canada at the ‘17 WBC.

Chelsea not gonna be a fan of the cold.

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 04:59 PM
JP Morosi

I figured the Blue Jays would get involved. I hope he goes to the AL

CrimsonCowboy

Unless her clothing line starts selling heavy coats and such

Heyward
I think he goes to LA. Interested to see the contract he signs, Dodgers usually dont go for long year deals. Would honestly be surprised if they offered 5 or 6 years.

jpx7
03-14-2022, 05:04 PM
It's Joctober baby

That'll help the Braves be a little less RH-heavy, for sure.

chop2chip
03-14-2022, 05:05 PM

She’s going to spend exactly 5 minutes in Toronto during the winter.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 05:07 PM
Joc needed for that swagger clutchness gene.

You see he spread it to Rosario and Soler last year in playoffs.

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Would be Ozuna Heredia Duvall.

But it's pointless because AA will sign someone.

I know but Im amazed that most on here are happy with Ozuna and Duvall along with the possibility of Soler and Heredia in the lineup at the same time.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Toronto fans show up opening week, and then only in playoff stretch mid-September and if they're in October.

Fred gonna have the whole stadium to himself for target practice.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 05:09 PM
I know but Im amazed that most on here are happy with Ozuna and Duvall along with the possibility of Soler and Heredia in the lineup at the same time.

Acuña is good enough to DH.

He can't field, and I don't want him stealing bases much either.

CJC
03-14-2022, 05:11 PM
OPTION 1:
2022 - Freeman 4.5-5.5 WAR - $30M
2023 - Freeman 4.0-5.0 WAR - $30M
2024 - Freeman 3.5-4.5 WAR - $30M
2025 - Freeman 3.0 WAR - $30M
2026 - Freeman 2.0 WAR - $30M
2027 - Freeman 1.5-2.0 WAR - $30M

That's an aggressive aging curve, no early retirement. It's not the worse case scenario obviously, but it's a bad projection for FF's value.

OPTION 2:
2022 - Olson 4.0-5.0 WAR - $12M
2023 - Olson 4.0-5.5 WAR - $20-2M
2024 - Reenter the 1B Market likely paying $35-40M for a 5 WAR hitter, or trying to get value, We really don't have an internal solution.

Basically we have traded 4 solid prospects for $18M payroll in 2022 and $8-10 in 2023.
We could've had Freeman at fair cost for 24-25 and an overpay in 26-27.
We trade that for uncertainty for 4 seasons now. Plus there will be additional acquisition cost for the 1B spot in 2024 unless Olson is extended.

KEYS to the deal -
1. Making GREAT use of the Payroll flexibility in 22 and 23. (re: two of Soler/Pederson/another good OF)
2. Extending Olson at less than $30M (will probably not happen if he puts up two 5 WAR seasons)
3. If Olson is not extended a FA 1B needs to come available at the right time. We already stripped the farm for Olson, we can't repeat that in 2 years. I know there might be 1 year options like the deals made to Donaldson/Ozuna/etc. AA can not miss on those signings like he did on the pitchers outside of Morton.

It's a tough move. End of the day, if Freddie was gone, then solid moves, but a real good argument can be made that just keeping him would be better overall.

zitothebrave
03-14-2022, 05:15 PM
It doesn't matter if you're on a phone or computer... you simply hold the "i" button and the option for it will come. Same thing for ñ

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Damn didn't work

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2022, 05:19 PM
Acuña is good enough to DH.

He can't field, and I don't want him stealing bases much either.

Well that is my point again. I doubt they will risk him DHing and running the bases. May PH for awhile if they have enough roster to pinch run for him.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 05:19 PM
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Damn didn't work

Racist

Enscheff
03-14-2022, 05:35 PM
OPTION 1:
2022 - Freeman 4.5-5.5 WAR - $30M
2023 - Freeman 4.0-5.0 WAR - $30M
2024 - Freeman 3.5-4.5 WAR - $30M
2025 - Freeman 3.0 WAR - $30M
2026 - Freeman 2.0 WAR - $30M
2027 - Freeman 1.5-2.0 WAR - $30M

That's an aggressive aging curve, no early retirement. It's not the worse case scenario obviously, but it's a bad projection for FF's value.

OPTION 2:
2022 - Olson 4.0-5.0 WAR - $12M
2023 - Olson 4.0-5.5 WAR - $20-2M
2024 - Reenter the 1B Market likely paying $35-40M for a 5 WAR hitter, or trying to get value, We really don't have an internal solution.

Basically we have traded 4 solid prospects for $18M payroll in 2022 and $8-10 in 2023.
We could've had Freeman at fair cost for 24-25 and an overpay in 26-27.
We trade that for uncertainty for 4 seasons now. Plus there will be additional acquisition cost for the 1B spot in 2024 unless Olson is extended.

KEYS to the deal -
1. Making GREAT use of the Payroll flexibility in 22 and 23. (re: two of Soler/Pederson/another good OF)
2. Extending Olson at less than $30M (will probably not happen if he puts up two 5 WAR seasons)
3. If Olson is not extended a FA 1B needs to come available at the right time. We already stripped the farm for Olson, we can't repeat that in 2 years. I know there might be 1 year options like the deals made to Donaldson/Ozuna/etc. AA can not miss on those signings like he did on the pitchers outside of Morton.

It's a tough move. End of the day, if Freddie was gone, then solid moves, but a real good argument can be made that just keeping him would be better overall.

No, that aging curve isn't harsh at all...that's how 1B age. Literally all of them that aren't on PEDs.

The Braves don't need a 5 win guy at 1B...that's where this type of analysis falls apart. They need good players all over the roster, not just at 1B. There will always be a 2-3 win guy available for a short term deal at 1B every single off season. This year it's Rizzo.

Maybe the Braves develope a bat by 2024. Maybe Riley moves to 1B. Maybe another team needs to trade a 1B like the As just did.

The point is roster/payroll flexibility, which goes away when a team is paying a 37 year old 1B $30M to hopefully post 1 WAR.

CrimsonCowboy
03-14-2022, 05:40 PM
Jeff Passan:

BREAKING: The Los Angeles Dodgers are in agreement with All-Star first baseman Freddie Freeman on a six-year, $180 million deal, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN .

Mad Dog Murph
03-14-2022, 05:43 PM
Jeff Passan:

BREAKING: The Los Angeles Dodgers are in agreement with All-Star first baseman Freddie Freeman on a six-year, $180 million deal, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN .

Glad AA isn’t that dumb

WaitingFor2017
03-14-2022, 05:44 PM
Jeff Passan:

I don't see that tweet from Passan.

Mad Dog Murph
03-14-2022, 05:47 PM
I don't see that tweet from Passan.

Me neither. Fake news

Heyward
03-14-2022, 05:48 PM
Jeff Passan:

I got Passan's notifications on, dont see this. You got played. I expect him to the Dodgers though. I'd be absolutely stunned if Dodgers give him 6 years.

CrimsonCowboy
03-14-2022, 06:01 PM
I even looked to see if it was verified. Dang.

Sorry about that. Twitter is crap sometimes

UNCBlue012
It’s a fake account

Hudson2
I got Passan's notifications on, dont see this. You got played. I expect him to the Dodgers though. I'd be absolutely stunned if Dodgers give him 6 years.

Freeman’s gonna look dumb if he takes a 3 year deal when we offered 5 even if the AAV is high. At 35 he will be in decline big time.

Heyward
03-14-2022, 06:04 PM
Freeman’s gonna look dumb if he takes a 3 year deal when we offered 5 even if the AAV is high. At 35 he will be in decline big time.

I think Dodgers do at most a 3+1 or a 4+1, i cant see Friedman guarantee 6 years.

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 06:09 PM
I think Dodgers do at most a 3+1 or a 4+1, i cant see Friedman guarantee 6 years.

Me either. If they did 4 years at 35 per it would be what we offered over 5 years. But 35 per for Freeman is insane.

Hudson2
03-14-2022, 06:10 PM
Greinke, Soler, and one of Joc/Rosario and be done. All realistic options but Greinke would be my 1st priority bc all the other FA options are blah.

CrimsonCowboy
03-14-2022, 06:30 PM

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 06:36 PM

chip and Tommy are gonna be oozing in the booth.

nsacpi
03-14-2022, 06:39 PM

That's what I do whenever I have to type Anaïs

drewdat
03-14-2022, 06:45 PM

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm not seeing it

clvclv
03-14-2022, 06:49 PM
Greinke, Soler, and one of Joc/Rosario and be done. All realistic options but Greinke would be my 1st priority bc all the other FA options are blah.

Soler is going to get more money (and years) than Rosario and Pederson - he's likely not an option if Alex plans to add another SP.

I do think there's enough money in the budget to add both LH bats and Greinke or Pineda to the rotation. Probably the best route if Alex is going to spread the money around. Both Rosario and Joc can play much better defense than Soler, and will give you a LH bench bat once Acunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna's healthy.

The Chosen One
03-14-2022, 06:50 PM
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm not seeing it

hmm. You must be on windows. Try holding alt and doing it.

I have a Mac, iPhone, and android and all I have to do is hold the letter for a second and the accented versions appear.

Garmel
03-14-2022, 06:52 PM

Like I said in another post Olson is going to love the porch in RF.

clvclv
03-14-2022, 06:52 PM

I have a Mac, iPhone, and android and all I have to do is hold the letter for a second and the accented versions appear.

He's in America now - my keyboard is American - his name is Acuna now.

Heyward
03-14-2022, 06:54 PM
Was thinking how disgusting this lineup is.

Acuna
Ozzie
Olson
Ozuna
Riley
Soler ?
TDA/Duvall
TDA/Duvall
Swanson

Garmel
03-14-2022, 06:55 PM

Acuna
Ozzie
Olson
Ozuna
Riley
Soler ?
TDA/Duvall
TDA/Duvall
Swanson

I like it but against RH I would have Soler batting 2nd.

clvclv
03-14-2022, 06:57 PM

Acuna
Ozzie
Olson
Ozuna
Riley
Soler ?
TDA/Duvall
TDA/Duvall
Swanson

Like the one with the LH bats better...

SS- Dansby
3B- Riley
1B- Olson
2B- Albies
DH- Ozuna
LF- Rosario
CF- Duvall
RF- Pederson
C- d'Arnaud/Pina

Dansby drops to 8th with Acuna leading off when he's healthy with Pederson becoming the 4th OF and you never have to worry about Ozuna or Soler playing defense.

drewdat
03-14-2022, 07:00 PM

No dice. I can find these ‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽ though.

buck75
03-14-2022, 08:44 PM
Cedric Mullins, are you coming home?

bravesnumberone
03-14-2022, 08:49 PM

That would certainly help the CF void.

msstate7
03-14-2022, 08:53 PM

Who would we trade for him? Don't see it

ixiXSolidXixi
03-14-2022, 08:58 PM
Who would we trade for him? Don't see it
The rest of the farm! 😂

Hulavol
03-14-2022, 09:13 PM
The rest of the farm! 😂

Who’s farm?

CyYoung31
03-14-2022, 09:53 PM

**** this guy…

Dude was long gone before AA got here. No idea what he’s so bitter about.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 10:00 PM

My special Acuña phone.

https://jordanrussiacenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/get-smart-shoe-phone.jpg

Acuña’s Bat Flip
03-14-2022, 10:03 PM
He's in America now - my keyboard is American - his name is Acuna now.

:ban

goldfly
03-14-2022, 10:12 PM
Olson gonna be fun to watch at truist.

Thank you for your service Freddie. Hope y’all do well except when ya play against us.

CrimsonCowboy
03-14-2022, 10:16 PM
Aside from being a top notch player, Olson is a top notch guy