PDA

View Full Version : True Detective: Season 2 stars named

Pages : [1] 2

The Chosen One
01-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Any viewers?

Watched the first 2 eps back to back, and love it!

Each season is going to have a different cast.

This season stars Woody Harrelson and Matt McCougirhnirh0t4y09ey.

Great performances so far, and the show is not as wild as The Following.

nocalgirl10
01-21-2014, 11:43 PM
I watched the first two episodes and really liked it as well. Cool idea to have each season feature a different cast too.

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Completely awesome, so far. Love it!

Krgrecw
01-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Like it. You guys know that one guy and only guy wrote the whole show? Every line. That's unheard of nowadays.

The Chosen One
01-22-2014, 01:11 AM
Like it. You guys know that one guy and only guy wrote the whole show? Every line. That's unheard of nowadays.

I think Aaron Sorkin wrote every episode of West Wing for the first 4 seasons or something like that.

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 02:09 AM

Also only one director.

gilesfan
01-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Im giving it 2 more episodes. Right now, I'm bored out of my mind.

BRule
01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
I've talked to a few people who say it's boring and I just don't get that....love it.

Runnin
01-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Im giving it 2 more episodes. Right now, I'm bored out of my mind.
Find a way to get The Bridge and/or The Killing, 2 crime dramas from Denmark. You have to read the subtitles but both shows are much better than the American versions, imo.

Runnin
01-23-2014, 08:48 AM
I've talked to a few people who say it's boring and I just don't get that....love it.
That show is a mystery that's going to take a whole season to be solved. A lot of people don't have that kind of patience. I like it too. I think the actors enjoy the chance to really develop their characters with a story that long.

gilesfan
01-23-2014, 09:41 AM
That show is a mystery that's going to take a whole season to be solved. A lot of people don't have that kind of patience. I like it too. I think the actors enjoy the chance to really develop their characters with a story that long.

Yeah, Agree. There are shows where the mystery keeps me intrigued enough to spend 15 hours watching a series. There just hasn't been anything that leaves me wanting to see the next episode right now. Maybe that changes in the next episode or 2, if not, I'm done with it.

Tapate50
01-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Liked it. Just caught up.

gilesfan
01-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Maybe next week will get interesting.

The Chosen One
01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Maybe next week will get interesting.

I think since the present day storyline is the Black Cops interviewing McCon and Woody separately, they're trying to figure out how they found their serial killer 10 years prior. I think the last few episodes are McConn and Woody helping the black cops find the present day serial killer which has yet to be revealed.

Looks like next week we get to meet a Buffalo Bill like character.

Dalyn
01-28-2014, 01:04 AM
I think since the present day storyline is the Black Cops interviewing McCon and Woody separately, they're trying to figure out how they found their serial killer 10 years prior. I think the last few episodes are McConn and Woody helping the black cops find the present day serial killer which has yet to be revealed.

Looks like next week we get to meet a Buffalo Bill like character.

I think they suspect Cohle of being a copycat of sorts. I've thought that since the beginning, but last episode really drove that point home with one of the murdered girls being the one he went on a (double) date with.

The Chosen One
01-28-2014, 01:10 AM
I think they suspect Cohle of being a copycat of sorts. I've thought that since the beginning, but last episode really drove that point home with one of the murdered girls being the one he went on a (double) date with.

Hmm.

I was wondering when he was looking at those pictures he was loooking at was of the girl he went on that double date with.

The flashback scenes I can't tell if they're in chronological order or just sporadic.

So you think they think Russ is a bad guy?

Dalyn
01-28-2014, 01:23 AM
Hmm.

I was wondering when he was looking at those pictures he was loooking at was of the girl he went on that double date with.

The flashback scenes I can't tell if they're in chronological order or just sporadic.

So you think they think Russ is a bad guy?

Yes. I think they think he is. Wouldn't surprise me to see a twist and have it be Hart.

Runnin
01-28-2014, 03:59 AM
This is the exact same formula as The Killing and The Bridge, and so far seems like the worst of the three, but I'm still interested.

However I used to look forward to new episodes of Barnaby Jones.

50PoundHead
01-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Did a binge watch the other day and I like it. It's a slow procedural and I tend to like those. I've never seen the Danish "The Killing," but I thought the first two seasons of the American knock-off was pretty decent (thought the third season had its moments as well). Couldn't get into FX's The Bridge, but I might binge watch it again and sometimes it takes me a second watch to warm up to things.

I will say this. For all the rap that McConaughey gets from some quarters, the guy is a really good actor. I'm glad he's ditched the rom-com circuit for now because I thought although it was making him a ton of jing, it was really putting him into a hole artistically. I also hold Harrelson in high esteem and he has elevated his game over the years.

nocalgirl10
01-28-2014, 09:08 AM
I will say this. For all the rap that McConaughey gets from some quarters, the guy is a really good actor.

Totally agree. He's awesome on this show.

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Another fantastic episode. Only four left? Ugh.

gilesfan
02-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Last nights was the first actual good and interesting episode. Thouse, episode 2 with Alexandra Daddario's titties was good.

BRule
02-10-2014, 11:44 AM
The last 10-15 minutes of that episode were easily the best TV I've seen in the last year, outside of maybe Breaking Bad. Just excellent.

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM
The last 10-15 minutes of that episode were easily the best TV I've seen in the last year, outside of maybe Breaking Bad. Just excellent.

You must not watch Game of Thrones.

BlackwaterPark
02-10-2014, 02:45 PM

This

BRule
02-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Last season of Game of Thrones was god awful

Tapate50
02-10-2014, 03:50 PM

It really was. The books started pissing me off because all people were doing was traveling somewhere, but something happens and they don't get there. Plus, after the RW i really lost all faith in fictional society.

Tapate50
02-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Last nights was the first actual good and interesting episode. Thouse, episode 2 with Alexandra Daddario's titties was good.

They really were. I could get on board with some mo o' dat!

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 04:54 PM

:facepalm:

It had one of the greatest moments in TV history. Period.

The Chosen One
02-10-2014, 05:02 PM
The getaway scene reminded me of Children of Men just a straight take.

All told, the sequence clocks in at around six minutes. Fukunaga and the crew ran through the whole thing seven times while the cameras were rolling. The director built in possible edit points if two takes had to be combined to make the perfect version of the shot, but anyone who is wondering should know that the sequence everyone saw in the episode is, in fact, a true single take and one of the great achievements of filmmaking for television.

jpx7
02-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Plus, after the RW i really lost all faith in fictional society.

I disagree with you regarding the quality of Game of Thrones' third season, but I can't dispute the quality of this sentence.

zitothebrave
02-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Nothing has received even close to the response of that episode. Replace greatest with "most shocking" if you like, but for many it amounts to the same thing.

The Chosen One
02-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Oops, forgot this was the Game of Thrones thread.

Meant to post in the True Detective.

zitothebrave
02-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Nothing has received even close to the response of that episode. Replace greatest with "most shocking" if you like, but for many it amounts to the same thing.

The end of Empire Strikes Back is one of the most shocking of all time, doesn't mean that it's a better movie than Apocalypse Now.

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
The end of Empire Strikes Back is one of the most shocking of all time, doesn't mean that it's a better movie than Apocalypse Now.

That has nothing at all to do with the point of what I posted. He specifically mentioned the best 10-15 minutes in the last year. And I never said having one of the greatest (most shocking) moments in TV history meant it was better than _________ overall.

BRule
02-10-2014, 05:56 PM

Serious?

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 06:08 PM
The level of response speaks for itself.

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Oops, forgot this was the Game of Thrones thread.

Meant to post in the True Detective.

My fault. :Bunchie1:

BRule
02-10-2014, 06:24 PM
The level of response speaks for itself.

It was just a blood bath, I don't see how that qualfies as "One of the greatest moments in TV history"....writing, acting, etc all should play a part....not just.....OH HEY, BLOOD

Also, one scene doesn't make a season great.

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 06:30 PM
It was just a blood bath, I don't see how that qualfies as "One of the greatest moments in TV history"....writing, acting, etc all should play a part....not just.....OH HEY, BLOOD

Also, one scene doesn't make a season great.

I don't want to continue destroying this thread, but the acting and writing on Game of Thrones is pretty much always fantastic. That scene was certainly not just a blood bath. So much else going on that was just fantastic: the buildup; the music; the acting; the setting; the writing; the filming; the foreshadowing. etc etc Lots to admire.

And this wasn't about the season (though I found season three great), it was about your comment regarding the last year in TV and 10-15 minutes.

BRule
02-10-2014, 06:34 PM
I was on the edge of my seat for the last 10-15 minutes, it was extremely tense and the acting was amazing, the build up, everything was perfect.....nothing in the last year was close to that, other than maybe Breaking Bad.....Boardwalk had a few moments like that, especially in their finale but True Dective has been amazing. Hopefully it'll be the same even without MM and Woody.

Dalyn
02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
I can't imagine it being the same, unfortunately. Hate that this season is only eight episodes long.

50PoundHead
02-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Thought last night's episode was excellent. A little slow up until the last action, but in a miniseries like this, you have two story arcs: the one that runs the entirety of the series and the one that runs in each episode. I could see both going on last night. McConaughey's character is one of the more interesting ones I've seen in recent television history.

As per Game of Thrones, I'm midway through the fourth book, so I pretty much know what's coming and I'm interested in seeing how the story is told on television and I think they are doing a good job. I think Martin is one of the most cynical authors I've read (this is really the first fantasy fiction I've read) and that shows through and I'm sure it turns some folks away from both the book and the television series. But just because he's terribly cynical doesn't mean he's not a good writer. The books can be laborious and you need a scorecard to keep track of who's what and where.

The Chosen One
02-12-2014, 02:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

The Chosen One
02-12-2014, 02:52 AM
I was on the edge of my seat for the last 10-15 minutes, it was extremely tense and the acting was amazing, the build up, everything was perfect.....nothing in the last year was close to that, other than maybe Breaking Bad.....Boardwalk had a few moments like that, especially in their finale but True Dective has been amazing. Hopefully it'll be the same even without MM and Woody.

Considering the fact that a young Brule once upon a time was one of those black kids in the projects like in the final scene, I'm sure it touched you deeply.

Tapate50
02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Had to catch up and saw Sundays episode last night. Boy what a fantastic ending... I know its been mentioned before, but they seem to be trying to point the arrow back at one of the cops, without stating it directly. It would take a TON of development in the last few episodes to get there imo.

The preview showed MM walking out of the station after asking if they had anything on him though.... so who knows? I say it watching every episode, but Woody is a FANTASTIC actor.

BlackwaterPark
02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Just finished the second episode. Other than Alexandra Daddario, I'm not sure how I feel about the show yet.

Dalyn
02-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Word is the True Detective director is going to do an IT remake (two movies). ****ing outstanding, if true.

jpx7
02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Word is the True Detective director is going to do an IT remake (two movies). ****ing outstanding, if true.

IT Crowd?

Dalyn
02-12-2014, 05:14 PM
IT Crowd?

:Alone: Just It, I'm afraid.

Dalyn
02-14-2014, 04:58 PM
http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19fp0h47dv86cjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Dalyn
02-15-2014, 01:57 AM
http://michaelmhughes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/methcthulhu.jpg

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 03:44 AM
Ordered the book Galveston because of this series. (http://www.amazon.com/Galveston-Novel-Nic-Pizzolatto/dp/1439166668)

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 03:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_y5AcBV0x0#t=2

The Chosen One
02-17-2014, 04:01 AM
Looks like russ is the modern day killer

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Looks like russ is the modern day killer

No. They've had that red herring out there the whole series. He is undercover trying to find The Yellow King. That is the only reason they would've introduced his history working undercover. No point to that part of the story, otherwise.

The Chosen One
02-17-2014, 04:32 AM
No. They've had that red herring out there the whole series. He is undercover trying to find The Yellow King. That is the only reason they would've introduced his history working undercover. No point to that part of the story, otherwise.

Hmm so you're saying russ went into hiding as a hermit drunk to find the yellow King? In the modern age?

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 04:36 AM
Hmm so you're saying russ went into hiding as a hermit drunk to find the yellow King? In the modern age?

Yeah. Hardcore. They established that part of his character by showing how deep undercover he is willing to go.

There is also something with Hart's daughter. She was the one who had the dolls in sex positions (at a young age) and later ended up having a threesome with two dudes.

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 04:40 AM
I am thinking Rust's storage locker has all the evidence he has been collecting over the years. I might even go so far as to say the "altercation" between Hart and Cohle before he goes missing (that the modern detectives alluded to) might be something they cooked up between themselves to make it seem even more real to those watching them.

The Chosen One
02-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Well the things I've read online seem to indicate hart's daughter turning into a slut is a metaphor for her father's sins reborn.

The Chosen One
02-17-2014, 04:50 AM
I am thinking Rust's storage locker has all the evidence he has been collecting over the years. I might even ggo so far as to say the "altercation" between Hart and Cohle before he goes missing (that the modern detectives alluded to) might be something they cooked up between themselves to make it seem even more real to those watching them.

Wow. I didn't even think of that angle. Seems that Marty and russ' s relationship as partners grows. At first Hart thinks he's insane but trusts him more throughout the series.

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Well the things I've read online seem to indicate hart's daughter turning into a slut is a metaphor for her father's sins reborn.

Perhaps. But I respect the writing enough to think it is going to be part of the answer/question.

The Chosen One
02-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Perhaps. But I respect the writing enough to think it is going to be part of the answer/question.

Or she may end up being the next victim of the yellow king. Now that Marty and russ are publicly known, Hart's daughter might be a target.

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 04:58 AM
Or she may end up being the next victim of the yellow king. Now that Marty and russ are publicly known, Hart's daughter might be a target.

I think she was already a victim of someone. I just hope it wasn't Hart.

BRule
02-17-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm with Dayln on this one, no way he's the killer....I'm going with the deep undercover as well. They've made it a point to show how committed he can be several times throughout the first 5 episodes.

The Chosen One
02-17-2014, 11:53 AM
I think it's possible they showed how deep he would go undercover to show how dark his character transformed.

It may be one of those things where he obsesses so much about the mystery that it ends up consuming him and he carries on what Ledoux did.

With only 3 episodes left, there isn't any other major character other than Hart that would could be the serial killer and have the show be meaningful. The flashback scene of him going inside the school and back to the original murder scene and obsessing about the symbolism and signs.

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I think it's possible they showed how deep he would go undercover to show how dark his character transformed.

It may be one of those things where he obsesses so much about the mystery that it ends up consuming him and he carries on what Ledoux did.

With only 3 episodes left, there isn't any other major character other than Hart that would could be the serial killer and have the show be meaningful. The flashback scene of him going inside the school and back to the original murder scene and obsessing about the symbolism and signs.

Hart definitely has more subtle warning signs.

Julio3000
02-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Three episodes is a lot of time—they didn't even get to Ledoux 'til partway through the third episode, IIRC. I think they've dropped some little hints about others who might be involved. Tuttle's proximity to the whole thing is certainly worth noting.

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Three episodes is a lot of time—they didn't even get to Ledoux 'til partway through the third episode, IIRC. I think they've dropped some little hints about others who might be involved. Tuttle's proximity to the whole thing is certainly worth noting.

Yep.

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 03:47 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/17/true-detective-fans-get-the-king-in-yellow-free/

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/true-detective-poster-16x9-1.jpg?9098e0

The Chosen One
02-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Not sure if it was a fashion statement but his daughter had large earrings with crosses on the bottom

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Not sure if it was a fashion statement but his daughter had large earrings with crosses on the bottom

One or both being molested would also explain Hart's reaction to finding the kids.

Dalyn
02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
I think Hart's wife is going to play a much bigger role in the final episodes.

The Chosen One
02-18-2014, 05:28 AM
Marty says to the cops that russ and Maggie had something going on for a few years. Perhaps a smokescreen to make the cops think they're resentful? Was that altercation?

This is the first show I've watched each episode multiple times before the next episode. From the looks of it, Rust Cohle may be one of the most badass characters in the history of television.

The Chosen One
02-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Can you imagine how great the walking dead would be if it had writers and writing the quality of true detective?:Gasp:

They've really made Louisiana and Texas look like very very abysmal places, and very desolate to go along with the dark tone of the series. The more I watch this show, the more disappointed of how awful the walking dead is compared to what it could be. This show has raised the bar for storytelling, a shame it will be over in 3 weeks. If the Walking Dead was an 8 episode mini series, they could get rid of so much filler and have more meaningful episodes.

The Chosen One
02-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Pozzollato expounded on the two present day detectives and their "interview" with Rust.

Remember when Hart says "you thought you were getting a read on Cohle, when actually he was getting a read on you".

Pozzollato says that the genius of that scene is that Rust Cohle asked the detectives for the beer, and by drinking beer, anything he said after drinking would be inadmissible. He played them all along.

Looking more and more like Russ is indeed undercover still for the past 10 years, and Hart knows and is going on with it to.

Perhaps the title "True Detective" is a metaphor for Rust's commitment to solving this case that he went MIA for 10 years.

Tapate50
02-18-2014, 10:59 AM
What to make of Harts shock when they were telling him that Rust had veered the case where he wanted it to, and that he brought him all the evidence throughout the case? Nothing? Was that a distraction?

BRule
02-18-2014, 11:08 AM
What to make of Harts shock when they were telling him that Rust had veered the case where he wanted it to, and that he brought him all the evidence throughout the case? Nothing? Was that a distraction?

Plus they show the 2 getting into a fight over it in the previews for the next episode.....unless, again....they are just trying to make us think that.

The Chosen One
02-18-2014, 11:13 AM

I think Cohle bringing all the evidence had more to do with the fact Rust cared more about the case while Hart kind of wanted it to go to the taskforce.

Once the clues started going their way, Hart became more engaged in the case.

And I think Hart's "shock" face was a smokescreen. If Dalyn's theory might be true about Rust being undercover the last 10 years and Hart knowing about it, probably the right direction.

I still want to know the backstory of Audrey (Hart's daughter). Was she molested? She seemed to know a lot about sex very young and she was promiscuous as a teenager. I want to know where her storyline fits in with this.

The Chosen One
02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Something from a Past Episode that many have missed... Look at your own peril:

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LmlOJdu.jpg

Also, something from the "Making of True Detective" Featurette that is on HBO On Demand:

About 4 Minutes in during the Segment when they are talking about the Characters of Cohle and Hart, there is a 3-4 Second Shot of the Present Day(2012) Russ & Marty in a dark make shift evidence room with a evidence board, both of them drinking beers together... So, either they have been working together all along, or they definitely get back together to work the case.

Also, a slightly more up for interpretation tidbit, but when Michelle Monohan(plays Marty's Wife) is talking about the characters of Cohle & hart, she says "I think that's why they've stayed together for 17 years", which would seem to indicate that the whole 2002 Blowup between them and they haven't spoke for 10 years may have been fake and they have been working together in secret all this time... OR, maybe she just misspoke.

nocalgirl10
02-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Pozzollato expounded on the two present day detectives and their "interview" with Rust.

Remember when Hart says "you thought you were getting a read on Cohle, when actually he was getting a read on you".

Pozzollato says that the genius of that scene is that Rust Cohle asked the detectives for the beer, and by drinking beer, anything he said after drinking would be inadmissible. He played them all along.

Looking more and more like Russ is indeed undercover still for the past 10 years, and Hart knows and is going on with it to.

Perhaps the title "True Detective" is a metaphor for Rust's commitment to solving this case that he went MIA for 10 years.

Interesting....I like this.

Tapate50
02-18-2014, 09:36 PM
I still want to know the backstory of Audrey (Hart's daughter). Was she molested? She seemed to know a lot about sex very young and she was promiscuous as a teenager. I want to know where her storyline fits in with this.

I bet you do... Filthy animal.

nocalgirl10
02-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Patton Oswalt getting in on the action and spotting the Yellow King.

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/435281253789487104

Damnit I have to go re-watch that episode now!

jpx7
02-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Marathon-watched the first four on Sunday.

Just watched the fifth episode, and had been avoiding this thread until I finished it.

Surprisingly great show. I thought Harrelson was the standout in the first couple episodes, as playing the straight-man can often be more challenging than the crazed partner; but McConaughey's character has gained so much depth it's impossible to dispute the superlative nature of his performance.

I refuse to speculate on where this is going, beyond believing that the interviewing duo—whose relationship and agenda we seem to finally see fully-exposed in this fifth episode—are woefully under-informed.

The Chosen One
02-20-2014, 02:58 AM
I have this absurd theory... perhaps the Yellow King is the preacher from the tent? My brother and I have been watching this to find clues.

On the tent there was a huge cross outside o the front that looked white, but inside it was yellow. May not look yellow here, but on my TV in full LED HD it is yellow. Wasn't Dora Lang a visitor of this congregation?

http://i.imgur.com/xNM62l1.jpg

In chess, the sign of the cross is dedicated to the "King" piece.

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/f/b/5/3/1194991229442971996chesspieces-king.svg.hi.png

Perhaps the preacher, is the Yellow King like on a chess set. The followers in the tent are his pawns, who distract the heavy pieces. The knights and rooks were his minions such as Ledoux and Ledoux's partner? The king controls all the pieces and tells everyone where to go, just like the preacher. Also, Ledoux giving a bunch of existential blubber to Cohle could be similar to the religious blabber the preacher gives.

Chess is a game of patience and knowing when to make your move. McConaughey went undercover for 10 years to try and help solve the mystery case.

Dalyn
02-20-2014, 03:25 AM
I have this absurd theory... perhaps the Yellow King is the preacher from the tent? My brother and I have been watching this to find clues.

On the tent there was a huge cross outside o the front that looked white, but inside it was yellow. May not look yellow here, but on my TV in full LED HD it is yellow. Wasn't Dora Lang a visitor of this congregation?

http://i.imgur.com/xNM62l1.jpg

In chess, the sign of the cross is dedicated to the "King" piece.

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/f/b/5/3/1194991229442971996chesspieces-king.svg.hi.png

Perhaps the preacher, is the Yellow King like on a chess set. The followers in the tent are his pawns, who distract the heavy pieces. The knights and rooks were his minions such as Ledoux and Ledoux's partner? The king controls all the pieces and tells everyone where to go, just like the preacher. Also, Ledoux giving a bunch of existential blubber to Cohle could be similar to the religious blabber the preacher gives.

Chess is a game of patience and knowing when to make your move. McConaughey went undercover for 10 years to try and help solve the mystery case.

He definitely plays a part. It is why I linked that video of him preaching.

The Chosen One
02-20-2014, 03:32 AM
He definitely plays a part. It is why I linked that video of him preaching.

Damnit. All my hard work and this is the response I get.

Now that Ledoux and Partner is dead, it has to be him or his brother the governor. Or maybe they're in cahoots and it is a cult like many have speculated with the "task force" also in on it.

The Chosen One
02-20-2014, 03:33 AM
Just read another theory...

http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/true-detective-who-is-the-yellow-king.html

Tow-headed (the blonde/yellow king), alcoholic, and with a daughter who shows signs (see: drawings, dolls) of being introduced to sexual content at an early age, Hart blows Reggie Ledoux away rather than run the risk of his true identity becoming known. His mention in episode five of having gone hunting once is interesting specifically for his mention of having bagged a ten-point buck, the same number of points that matches Dora Lange's crown. (And, as mentioned above, he drew Cohle away from the Tuttle school that first time.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/1y6m9y/spoiler_have_you_seen_stacy_gerhart/

Something that caught my eye was that "Have you seen Stacy Gerhart?" sign we kept seeing. We've seen Rust staring at it a few times now and it made me think that maybe Rust was looking for her missing persons report on that PC, and found all those other reports that came up with "Made in Error". Is someone on the inside covering up for this Cult?
I think Rust is the "True Detective" and is still investigating the cult in the present day, collecting evidence and gathering it in his storage container. Maybe he believes there is someone on the inside covering up too, so he's working on his own.
Hart on the other hand, is one suspicious MF. All the **** with his daughter, the drawings and the dolls etc. Remember when Rust went to that school before, he knew something was up and who stopped him from going in? It was Hart, urgently honking his horn to call him back and drag him away. He also killed Reggie before they could take him in. Reggie never actually even saw his face, maybe he killed Reggie so he couldn't talk rather then through outrage/vengance. Maybe it was Hart who forced the guy in prison to kill himself too, after all it was he who didn't want prints to be taken from that payphone. Could he be involved in some way? Maybe that's what led to his falling out with Rust, Rust probably wanted to reopen the case and Marty refused him as he was the guy in charge of it. Tuttle must be involved in someway too, I remember him being linked to that school.
First post here, all just speculation but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Dalyn
02-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Damnit. All my hard work and this is the response I get.

Now that Ledoux and Partner is dead, it has to be him or his brother the governor. Or maybe they're in cahoots and it is a cult like many have speculated with the "task force" also in on it.

Sorry. Only half here. I will respond more later. :Alone:

Dalyn
02-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Just read another theory...

http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/true-detective-who-is-the-yellow-king.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/1y6m9y/spoiler_have_you_seen_stacy_gerhart/

I think Rust made it clear he thinks there are people on the inside covering up. Remember what he says to the older detective interviewing him? I think it is one of the reasons he is there. Trying to ruffle the right feathers to lure out the people involved.

The Chosen One
02-20-2014, 04:15 AM
I think Rust made it clear he thinks there are people on the inside covering up. Remember what he says to the older detective interviewing him? I think it is one of the reasons he is there. Trying to ruffle the right feathers to lure out the people involved.

Yeah the consensus online seems to be like Hart said "You were trying to get a read on Russ? He was getting a read on you." He was feeling out the detectives to see if they were involved. But ultimately I think they aren't, and just naive and trying to investigate how they normally would. Governor and Preacher are related, and when Cohle said "Big People", he was definitely referring to higher ups and rich men. Then Charlie who was in prison kept talking about "a place where rich men would go to worship the devil". Also, Cohle's big dramatic exit on the detectives was him seeing how they'd react. Since they felt they had everything to pin on him, they didn't arrest nor pursue. I think he sees they're fresh and naive to the case and just pulling strings to see what come out. Maybe he can use them to help solve the case. In term's of Hart's daughter though, either he did or his father in law did. Someone mentioned the conversation between his father in law where his f.i.l said "Kids these days, wearing their dark makeup" which would be an allusion to Audrey, Hart's daughter.

Dalyn
02-20-2014, 04:18 AM
Yeah the consensus online seems to be like Hart said "You were trying to get a read on Russ? He was getting a read on you." He was feeling out the detectives to see if they were involved. But ultimately I think they aren't, and just naive and trying to investigate how they normally would. Governor and Preacher are related, and when Cohle said "Big People", he was definitely referring to higher ups and rich men. Then Charlie who was in prison kept talking about "a place where rich men would go to worship the devil". Also, Cohle's big dramatic exit on the detectives was him seeing how they'd react. Since they felt they had everything to pin on him, they didn't arrest nor pursue. I think he sees they're fresh and naive to the case and just pulling strings to see what come out. Maybe he can use them to help solve the case. In term's of Hart's daughter though, either he did or his father in law did. Someone mentioned the conversation between his father in law where his f.i.l said "Kids these days, wearing their dark makeup" which would be an allusion to Audrey, Hart's daughter.

Yeah. The father-in-law makes sense. It would explain why they introduced him.

Ugh. Can't stand that this is only eight episodes long.

jpx7
02-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Not at all absurd—it was actually my first thought when the character appeared, but I dismissed it as too obvious that the greasy, culty, snake-oil preacher would be the greasy, occulty, Cthulu-ecclesiastic. (Plus, he's Nucky Thompson's brother, so his recognizability made me they might be using him as a red-herring.)

Yeah. The father-in-law makes sense. It would explain why they introduced him.

This is what I've been thinking over the past few days, especially since he hasn't recurred but was definitely featured over his few scenes. Plus he seemed to have a sinister air, as well as the socio-economic means to do a lot of things.

Dammit: I said I refused to speculate.

The Chosen One
02-21-2014, 10:20 AM
This show is consuming me like the case is consuming Cohle.

Dalyn
02-21-2014, 03:26 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/before-em-true-detective-em-the-short-stories-of-nic-pizzolatto/283992/

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/newsroom/img/mt/2014/02/trueD/lead.jpg?n1ckxh

Dalyn
02-21-2014, 05:17 PM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1781919_667430736632270_1734369417_n.jpg

Dalyn
02-21-2014, 10:21 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1517390_609883005771199_1244688984_n.jpg

Tapate50
02-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Watched the first two episodes again last night. A few things jump out.... There is a guy in police uniform through the first two episodes that no one introduces... He walks in the chiefs office directly after Hart looking all pissed off, and he is at the presser standing right behind them all pissed off. I don't think he is any yellow king or anything but he kept getting included in scenes early on.

Harts two little girls kind of doting and whispering about Cohle at dinner struck me differently than it did before.

The scene in the sheriffs office where "made in error" shows up for the first time and the scene at the brothel where she says take it up with the sheriff..... Also jumped out a bit.

Dalyn
02-22-2014, 01:00 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/02/02/writer-nic-pizzolatto-on-thomas-ligotti-and-the-weird-secrets-of-true-detective/

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-BI289_truede_E_20140202075924.jpg

Tapate50
02-24-2014, 10:24 AM
That Hart is a real ladies man I tell ya...

jpx7
02-24-2014, 11:50 PM
That Hart is a real ladies man I tell ya...

Human tampon.

The Chosen One
02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
It really didn't hit me that Beth the girl that Marty was sleeping with this time was the underage girl at the bunny ranch trailer park.

Tapate50
02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
It really didn't hit me that Beth the girl that Marty was sleeping with this time was the underage girl at the bunny ranch trailer park.

Did you miss that part of the episode when she introduced herself?

I didn't miss it, I kinda figured she would come back around.

The Chosen One
02-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Did you miss that part of the episode when she introduced herself?

I didn't miss it, I kinda figured she would come back around.

No. When she said I saw you before riding in my area. I thought it was a new character introduced.

Dalyn
02-26-2014, 01:59 AM
I like how Rust hadn't fixed his light since the fight. Nice touch.

Other than that (and a few other little things), this was the first disappointing episode for me.

Two left. Going to be fun.

The Chosen One
02-26-2014, 02:04 AM

Other than that (and a few other little things), this was the first disappointing episode for me.

Two left. Going to be fun.

Sexist. This episode was Maggie's.

Also, could you really expect them to top Eps 4 and 5? I don't even think Ep 7 or 8 will have the same awesomeness, probably a tad under.

Dalyn
02-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Sexist. This episode was Maggie's.

Also, could you really expect them to top Eps 4 and 5? I don't even think Ep 7 or 8 will have the same awesomeness, probably a tad under.

Ha!

I still enjoyed it, just not as much as the other five. And I expect 7 & 8 to be the best of the bunch.

Dalyn
02-26-2014, 03:03 AM
While disappointed overall, I should point out that the interrogation scene was one of my favorite scenes of the whole show. Loved it.

The Chosen One
02-26-2014, 08:28 AM
While disappointed overall, I should point out that the interrogation scene was one of my favorite scenes of the whole show. Loved it.

Pizzolatto has said that episode 5 is his baby, and that 4 hadt he most tension of any mainly because of the undercover stuff Rust did with Ginger and that beautiful 6 minute single take.

DOn't think 7 and 8 are going to be as well produced.

gilesfan
02-26-2014, 10:00 AM
You guys get to see Lili Simmons ALOT and you are complaining? WTF is wrong with you people?

http://theblemish.com/2014/02/lili-simmons-chick-got-naked-last-nights-true-detective/

jpx7
02-26-2014, 11:04 AM

That was great, as was the long-take that revealed this detail, following Cohle's truck from that low, clipped angle.

Tapate50
02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
That was great, as was the long-take that revealed this detail, following Cohle's truck from that low, clipped angle.

Wife commented as such as well. She said what a great shot to end it even though it was a bit slower than the previous two.

I took from it, he hadn't been driving it at all since he dissappeared (that and not renewing his DL until then).

gilesfan
02-26-2014, 11:25 AM
I took it as a symbol of a relationship that hasn't been repaired.

Julio3000
02-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Unfinished business.

jpx7
02-26-2014, 12:17 PM
I took from it, he hadn't been driving it at all since he dissappeared (that and not renewing his DL until then).

I took it as a symbol of a relationship that hasn't been repaired.

Unfinished business.

All of the above.

Dalyn
02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/trumpetbutt_photo/tXMUChE_zpsc534bb8e.gif

Is it Sunday yet? Growing up, Sunday was by far my least favorite day of the week. Now it is one of my favorites on a regular basis. Thank you, HBO, for giving me Sunday back.

Dalyn
02-27-2014, 10:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5ZpNovt.png

http://i.imgur.com/cvRO1FF.png

Notice anything?

The Chosen One
02-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Oh my. It better not be Marty. If it is I'm going to give up on this show. It would be too obvious

Dalyn
02-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Oh my. It better not be Marty. If it is I'm going to give up on this show. It would be too obvious

I think it just means the girl and Marty's girl(s) have been to the same place. If anything, it is another finger pointing at the father-in-law.

The Chosen One
02-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Maybe the father in-law donated money for that Psychiatric Hospital.

The Chosen One
02-28-2014, 12:30 AM
I wonder what happened to Major Ken Quesada. Flash forward to 2002 and we have a new Major... did Quesada just get written off for continuity (the position has a lot of turnover every few years) or did he get promoted to the Tuttle family? lol

Tapate50
02-28-2014, 06:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5ZpNovt.png

http://i.imgur.com/cvRO1FF.png

Notice anything?

Who is the man with the scars? So far, I haven't seen anyone with scars other than the guy that helps the revival that doesn't have all his wedding tackle.

The Chosen One
02-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Who is the man with the scars? So far, I haven't seen anyone with scars other than the guy that helps the revival that doesn't have all his wedding tackle.

Probably a metaphor. Plus they did mention people wearing animal masks.

Tapate50
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM

I did notice in the previews they have the guy with the green ears at the top of some board with a ton of evidence tacked to it wherever Hart and Cohle hunker down to figure this thing out.

Dalyn
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM

There is the lawnmower man.

The Chosen One
03-02-2014, 02:06 AM
I actually thought the long shot of the back tail light still being broken means metaphorically the end of flashbacks in reference to Marty and rusty's past storyline. Maggie gave her take. Marty did. The big event that separated them all in 2002 is over and it's time to do work in present. I see in the preview they show burglars which I'm assuming is rust breaking in Tuttle place

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 12:52 PM
http://observationdeck.io9.com/police-jargon-and-metaphysical-malarkey-in-true-detecti-1534483315/@rtgonzalez?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/browbeat/2014/02/28/TD_Glossary_STILL.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Enjoyed #7! Next week should be a trip.

gilesfan
03-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Pretty weak episode, but sets up the finale pretty well

Dalyn
03-04-2014, 04:59 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1920441_10152228065869334_845426823_n.jpg

Dalyn
03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
At this point, I feel a lot of things will be left to gnaw away at Cohle, Hart, and the audience. At least one of them (Cohle) won't handle it too well. But these themes might very well be the only recurring character this series has from season to season.

The Chosen One
03-06-2014, 07:00 PM
In the preview it looks some male is tied to a bed. Looks like Cohle.

Dalyn
03-07-2014, 04:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24#t=116

Makes all our theories look silly. This guy nailed it. Don't watch if you don't want to know who the "Yellow King" is.

Tapate50
03-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Not a metaphor.

Tapate50
03-07-2014, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24#t=116

Makes all our theories look silly. This guy nailed it. Don't watch if you don't want to know who the "Yellow King" is.

That is one excellent use of Youtube. That guy gets some e-life points.

The Chosen One
03-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Not a metaphor.

Thank you captain of obviousness.

Tapate50
03-07-2014, 09:36 AM

You are welcome. Metaphorically speaking of course...

jpx7
03-07-2014, 11:14 AM

You are welcome. Metaphorically speaking of course...

Are you really a captain?

Dalyn
03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af0fd1b35.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af399ac65.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af4968286.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af517010c.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af8a50daa.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310b1109c874.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af90c1bc7.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af936d62f.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/5310af965bcfb.png

The Chosen One
03-08-2014, 03:26 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1558439_10152314366407354_1995210695_n.jpg

jpx7
03-08-2014, 10:13 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1558439_10152314366407354_1995210695_n.jpg

Beautiful: what a shot. NOTICE KING

Dalyn
03-08-2014, 02:08 PM
And everyone assumes it means the lawnmower man! :icwudt:

Dalyn
03-09-2014, 02:06 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1621797_737563399621710_1222961033_n.jpg

The Chosen One
03-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Tom Jackson really did a good job transitioning from football player to analyst to actor.

Dalyn
03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
This is similar to how I think it will end -

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1904232_10152004079852012_417187811_n.jpg

The Chosen One
03-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Almost here!!!

Dalyn
03-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Almost here!!!

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:: pound::pound:

The Chosen One
03-09-2014, 09:10 PM
:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:: pound::pound:

No words.

Tapate50
03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Great series.... Finale left me hanging a bit, but after that ride ...I'll take it

The Chosen One
03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Great series.... Finale left me hanging a bit, but after that ride ...I'll take it

?

gilesfan
03-09-2014, 10:11 PM
good series. not great. Thought it started slow, series 4-6 were great. Last two were weak, was expecting more.

The Chosen One
03-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Figures the only episodes you liked had a lot of violence involving guns

Tapate50
03-10-2014, 06:54 AM
?

I had ?'s that weren't answered.

Why were people in power hiding this guy and covering up for him? Who was doing the MIE reports? Who set this guy up down there ? Why was he called the yellow king? How had this been going on for years with no one picking up on it?

Tapate50
03-10-2014, 07:09 AM
good series. not great. Thought it started slow, series 4-6 were great. Last two were weak, was expecting more.

I would go with great for sure.

gilesfan
03-10-2014, 08:32 AM
I would go with great for sure.

The show left way more questions than what you listed. The yellow king was literally introduced in 1 episode.

Tapate50
03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
The show left way more questions than what you listed. The yellow king was literally introduced in 1 episode.

I didn't like that either. And I agree, I wasn't going to list all the questions I had on my iphone on the way to work.

Tapate50
03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
This is similar to how I think it will end -

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1904232_10152004079852012_417187811_n.jpg

I have no idea what this is, but I wish you hadn't posted it.

Krgrecw
03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
So many people were watching True Detective on hbogo that it crashed the server. Impressive.

nocalgirl10
03-10-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm okay with the unanswered questions. Everything isn't always tied up in a neat little box with a bow.

I like that it was Marty who ultimately connected the dots about the house painted green. The very end was much more positive and optimistic than I was expecting. These guys really have their work cut out for them because I can't imagine a season 2 pairing who will do it better than Woody and MM.

Dalyn
03-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Really enjoyed the finale, and I loved the show. I think some of the unanswered questions will be recurring "characters" season to season.

The Chosen One
03-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Really enjoyed the finale, and I loved the show. I think some of the unanswered questions will be recurring "characters" season to season.

Interesting. Nic says season 2 will be an entirely different cast of characters and case.

Dalyn
03-11-2014, 12:56 AM
Interesting. Nic says season 2 will be an entirely different cast of characters and case.

Right. But I think the underlining unsolved mysteries will continue. It will be the only thing that "ties" each season together.

Dalyn
03-11-2014, 01:10 AM
I'm okay with the unanswered questions. Everything isn't always tied up in a neat little box with a bow.

I like that it was Marty who ultimately connected the dots about the house painted green. The very end was much more positive and optimistic than I was expecting. These guys really have their work cut out for them because I can't imagine a season 2 pairing who will do it better than Woody and MM.

This is perfect for someone like Mel Gibson. He needs a reboot, and he has shown time and again that he can be awesome.

Dalyn
03-11-2014, 01:13 AM
How about Mel Gibson and Mickey Rourke? I would love that.

The Chosen One
03-11-2014, 01:29 AM
I read that it might be two female leads this time.

We'll have to think of actors/actresses whose career isn't trending back to the top but could be a nice change up to their career.

MM taking this role was just him continuing his amazing streak of excellent performances in film. I don't think he would've gotten this role if this show was filmed after Dallas Buyer's Club.

Woody hasn't done a serious movie since Seven Psychopaths. There's rumors flying of Zombieland 2 which would be great but IDK.

I think it all depends on where the location is. Is it going to be Texas? Maybe a border town like El Paso? LA is over done and so is Vegas. I think an interesting idea would be to do one of the small populated New England states. Maine? Rhode Island? Vermont? New Hampshire? Don't think any place is going to make a serious drama in New Mexico after BB.

Dalyn
03-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Females - Gillian Anderson and Winona Ryder, Kathy Bates and Holly Hunter, Milla Jovovich and Fairuza Balk, Christina Ricci and Reese Witherspoon, Demi Moore and Viola Davis, Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone. Those would all make interesting pairings.

Dalyn
03-11-2014, 02:04 AM
I read that it might be two female leads this time.

We'll have to think of actors/actresses whose career isn't trending back to the top but could be a nice change up to their career.

MM taking this role was just him continuing his amazing streak of excellent performances in film. I don't think he would've gotten this role if this show was filmed after Dallas Buyer's Club.

Woody hasn't done a serious movie since Seven Psychopaths. There's rumors flying of Zombieland 2 which would be great but IDK.

I think it all depends on where the location is. Is it going to be Texas? Maybe a border town like El Paso? LA is over done and so is Vegas. I think an interesting idea would be to do one of the small populated New England states. Maine? Rhode Island? Vermont? New Hampshire? Don't think any place is going to make a serious drama in New Mexico after BB.

Woody was also in the recent Bale movie. Did well, of course. A serious role.

Runnin
03-11-2014, 04:34 AM
I enjoyed the finale but the end was way too abrupt for me. They could've easily drawn out the mystery a few more episodes. How about a chase? At least let us get to know Childress a little more. He was an interesting character, complete with a bizarre British accent. Papania and Gilbough deserved a little more camera time too. It was like it was a 10 episode series that had to suddenly end after 8 episodes.

The best thing about the series was the Hart and Cohle bromance. They had great chemistry. The plot was highly flawed, too much Yellow King mumbo jumbo that ultimately went nowhere. Dd they ever say what all that stick art was about? What was on the video tape??? To say that those questions will be revealed in season two doesn't work for me. They promised too much only to have the show end pretty much like every crime show ends.

It didn't live up to its promise for me. Without McConaughey and Woody Harrelson next season they'll need to do a better job with the plot.

gilesfan
03-11-2014, 08:04 AM
I enjoyed the finale but the end was way too abrupt for me. They could've easily drawn out the mystery a few more episodes. How about a chase? At least let us get to know Childress a little more. He was an interesting character, complete with a bizarre British accent. Papania and Gilbough deserved a little more camera time too. It was like it was a 10 episode series that had to suddenly end after 8 episodes.

The best thing about the series was the Hart and Cohle bromance. They had great chemistry. The plot was highly flawed, too much Yellow King mumbo jumbo that ultimately went nowhere. Dd they ever say what all that stick art was about? What was on the video tape??? To say that those questions will be revealed in season two doesn't work for me. They promised too much only to have the show end pretty much like every crime show ends.

It didn't live up to its promise for me. Without McConaughey and Woody Harrelson next season they'll need to do a better job with the plot.

Excellent points. I agree completely. It was built up with all these clues and unanswered questions and then it was abrubtly shut off. It was like episode 8 was supposed to be episode 10 and we just deleted 8 and 9.

Yellow king, yellow king, yellow king..........dud

The Chosen One
03-11-2014, 10:30 AM

First things first. The British accent has been mentioned on the internet quite a bit asking why.

I thought that was pretty simple. When you walk in his house, he has about a few thousand VHS tapes. I assume he watches a different movie each day, and that the British accent was his accent for the day. I mean he is a psychopath so multiple personalities isn't stretching.

Secondly, the bromance was the real focus of the show, the murders and case secondary.

The show was more about the evolution of both men than the case itself.

By the end of the show, both men had changed quite dramatically.

Rust, who was the pessimist the entire show finally showed signs of optimism at the end. His out of body near death experience change his view on the light winning.

Marty, the cheating and lying sob, finally calls Rust his "friend" and he could no longer lie to his wife and kids when he told them he was fine and ok then started to break down in front of them. Marty,the guy in 1995 who wasn't interested in solving the case and was more interested in popularity and his own ego, felt he had to do the right thing by helping Rust this time.

The Yellow King mumbo jumbo is more of a literary reference. You'll have to cite The King in Yellow book to understand. I thought the video tape was self explanatory. Girl was being raped and then "sacrificed". Carcosa is a location in the book.

As for the rest of the cult, I thought that was explained when Rust woke up and was telling Marty they didn't get them all and Marty says we won't get them all that's not how the world works but we did get our guy. The news lady saying "The state attorney general and the FBI have dismissed rumors that the killer was related to Senator Edwin Tuttle."

50PoundHead
03-11-2014, 12:58 PM
I'll have to watch the last two episodes again. I've been distracted while watching (working at the same time) and things moved really fast toward the end. Odd that the show started so slowly and closed up with a mad rush. Great work by Harrelson and McConaughey.

Dalyn, have you seen Gillian Anderson in "The Fall?" Tremendous work.

Dalyn
03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I'll have to watch the last two episodes again. I've been distracted while watching (working at the same time) and things moved really fast toward the end. Odd that the show started so slowly and closed up with a mad rush. Great work by Harrelson and McConaughey.

Dalyn, have you seen Gillian Anderson in "The Fall?" Tremendous work.

I haven't, but I will put it on the list. Thanks for the suggestion!

jpx7
03-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Secondly, the bromance was the real focus of the show, the murders and case secondary.

The show was more about the evolution of both men than the case itself.

By the end of the show, both men had changed quite dramatically.

Everything you posted hits all the nails on all the heads, but I want to highlight this in particular—because it is both why I ended up really enjoying the show so much, and why I'm so relieved the season ended as it did. I'm so glad there was no effort made to over-complicated the case, inject frivolous mystery at the end (beyond the very human, very real mysteries that pervade the show), or otherwise fabricate a big twist or big reveal. We eerily finally see the Yellow King—or, at least, Hart and Cohle's Yellow King—at the conclusion of the seventh episode, and in the final episode we as an audience see that revelation narratively played-out.

Though much was made about the author's Lovecraftian antecedents, the course of the show (so far) ultimately reminds me of Raymond Chandler's style of story-telling.

The Chosen One
03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
I think another thing to point out, when Papania and Gilbrough were "interviewing" Marty, and gave him enough evidence to make Rust look like the bad guy, Marty denies it outright and tells them if they dont' have anything to f off.

I think over the years, Marty didn't really blame Rust for the Maggie incident, and that he became warmer over time. Even when Marty confronts Rust about it in the car in 2012, Rust puts him in check by saying "for pushing a good woman so far she had to use me to make you go away". That really put Marty in his place, and I think Marty respected Rust more when they went their separate ways.

When Marty has second thoughts about Rust's theory in 2012, you can see how much he didn't want to help Rust until he saw Rust had something concrete (the video tape).

I think Marty hated Rust so much, that he hated the fact he had to respect Rust because everything Rust did was because of him.

Dalyn
03-16-2014, 01:54 PM
I can't wait until tonight's episode!

goldfly
03-16-2014, 02:59 PM

of what?

The Chosen One
03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Don't remind me. :Sad:

Dalyn
03-16-2014, 03:51 PM
of what?

Just being silly.

Krgrecw
03-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Brad Pitt is number 1 on Thier short list.

I heard the two women series lead too. I hope not. That won't work to well.

jpx7
03-19-2014, 09:35 AM
I heard the two women series lead too. I hope not. That won't work to well.

What, exactly, do you think prevents it from plausibly working well?

Tapate50
03-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Rizzoli and Isles

zitothebrave
03-19-2014, 11:40 AM

I lolled at Tapate's response, but American Horror Story Coven is a serious example. Show rocked with Female leads, female antagonists, etc.

jpx7
03-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Rizzoli and Isles

I could search for this on wikipedia, but I'd rather you explain to me what this is.

Tapate50
03-19-2014, 01:32 PM
I could search for this on wikipedia, but I'd rather you explain to me what this is.

I cannot help you more than this can:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Rizzoli+and+Isles

jpx7
03-19-2014, 01:49 PM
I cannot help you more than this can:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Rizzoli+and+Isles

I said I could search for it—but, like I said, I want to read about it in your own words.

The Chosen One
03-19-2014, 02:05 PM
If the two leads were female, I could trust the writer Nic to make it happen. The hard part is replacing the director Cary Fukunaga. Good writing is nothing without great vision and direction.

Tapate50
03-19-2014, 02:24 PM
I said I could search for it—but, like I said, I want to read about it in your own words.

I completely understand what you said, but I flat out know nothing about the show. You are welcome for the link.

Krgrecw
03-19-2014, 02:43 PM
If the two leads were female, I could trust the writer Nic to make it happen. The hard part is replacing the director Cary Fukunaga. Good writing is nothing without great vision and direction.

You know who would be good? Rob Zombie.

The Chosen One
03-19-2014, 02:44 PM
You know who would be good? Rob Zombie.

Devil's Rejects is one of my favorite movies of all time. I was about to fall asleep at 1:30 am the other night, and saw Devil's Rejects was on Showtime... couldn't pass it up.

I'm kind of meh on House of 1000, it was scary for sure but I loved the tone of DR.

Haven't seen Salem Witches yet, bought it but haven't gone around to it.

Krgrecw
03-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Devil's Rejects is one of my favorite movies of all time. I was about to fall asleep at 1:30 am the other night, and saw Devil's Rejects was on Showtime... couldn't pass it up.

I'm kind of meh on House of 1000, it was scary for sure but I loved the tone of DR.

Haven't seen Salem Witches yet, bought it but haven't gone around to it.

I just think he's a natural at the psychological guessing game type of stuff. Was Devils Reject the one where 'Freebird' played in the background of a car scene and all hell broke loose?

Dalyn
03-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Good screenwriting is nothing without great vision and direction.

http://www2.binghamton.edu/ece/images/blank.jpg

The Chosen One
03-19-2014, 06:26 PM
I just think he's a natural at the psychological guessing game type of stuff. Was Devils Reject the one where 'Freebird' played in the background of a car scene and all hell broke loose?

Yes the final scene

jpx7
03-19-2014, 08:26 PM
You know who'd be perfect, if they don't go with two female leads?

Nicolas Cage.

Dalyn
04-05-2014, 11:33 AM
You know who'd be perfect, if they don't go with two female leads?

Nicolas Cage.

:YDS:

The Chosen One
04-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Dalyn, you haven't made flowers on me for maybe three weeks. Makes me sad.

Dalyn
04-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Dalyn, you haven't made flowers on me for maybe three weeks. Makes me sad.

:pound:

Tapate50
04-10-2014, 08:12 AM
I can't take Nic Cage seriously since about the late 80's.

50PoundHead
04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
I can't take Nic Cage seriously since about the late 80's.

Cage has become a caricature, but he's getting a lot of positive buzz about his latest movie, "Joe," that is being released nationwide this coming weekend. I read the book and I'm interested in seeing the movie.

The re-make of "Bad Lieutenant" starring Cage was one of the worst movies I've seen. Thank heavens it was relatively low cost because of my Netflix subscription.

jpx7
04-10-2014, 05:52 PM
The re-make of "Bad Lieutenant" starring Cage was one of the worst movies I've seen.

I really liked it—but I'm a huge Werner Herzog fan, so there you go.

I've also come around to Roger Ebert's views on Nicolas Cage, and after some study of his films count myself a modest advocate of his work. If Cage has become a caricature, it's because he takes and takes seriously roles that a "good actor"—as we conceive such an entity—shouldn't.

50PoundHead
04-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I really liked it—but I'm a huge Werner Herzog fan, so there you go.

I've also come around to Roger Ebert's views on Nicolas Cage, and after some study of his films count myself a modest advocate of his work. If Cage has become a caricature, it's because he takes and takes seriously roles that a "good actor"—as we conceive such an entity—shouldn't.

I just thought the Abel Ferrera original with Harvey Keitel was so disgustingly amazing that the re-imagining didn't quite work for me.

jpx7
04-11-2014, 02:03 PM
I just thought the Abel Ferrera original with Harvey Keitel was so disgustingly amazing that the re-imagining didn't quite work for me.

Having not seen the "original" (Herzog, in his typically arcane manner, claims to have never seen the Ferrera film, nor to have known of it, nor to have even known who Abel Ferrera was prior to releasing the film) probably helped in terms of enjoying Herzog's re-imagining.

50PoundHead
04-12-2014, 07:42 AM
I'm a big Herzog fan too, but I didn't realize he directed the Cage re-make.

I think Aguirre: The Wrath of God is one of the greatest films ever made. It flies below a lot of people's radar because it's a foreign language film, but it an awesome piece of work.

Julio3000
04-12-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm a big Herzog fan too, but I didn't realize he directed the Cage re-make.

I think Aguirre: The Wrath of God is one of the greatest films ever made. It flies below a lot of people's radar because it's a foreign language film, but it an awesome piece of work.

Seconded. Much love.

I think I posted a clip of the last 5 minutes of the film sometime last year during the scout meltdown . . . you know, patio as Aguirre. "WHO IS WITH ME?"

I also liked the remade Bad Lieutenant. I am nowhere near the encyclopedia of cinema that jpx is, but I'm a huge fan of Herzog.

jpx7
04-14-2014, 01:14 PM

That's likewise my favorite of his. A stunning work of small grandeurs punctuated by that final magnificent image of the ship, surreal and skeletal in the tree-tops, as the world seems to be literally falling apart around the raft. Perhaps the most succinct statement of Herzog's ethos and aesthetics. The first time I saw it (in a cinema, fortunately), it heaped me in a way much the same as Malick's Days of Heaven.

I'm also a huge fan of an early work of Herzog's, Signs of Life—a black-and-white flick filmed on a small Greek island and set during World War II—which may fly even further under the radar. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser is pretty stunningly great as well.

jpx7
04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
I think I posted a clip of the last 5 minutes of the film sometime last year during the scout meltdown . . . you know, patio as Aguirre. "WHO IS WITH ME?"

Patio as Aguirre, us as all the monkeys, and KeithLockhart as Patio's very own daughter, whom he will marry and with whom he will found the purest baseball message-board dynasty the world has ever seen.

Speaking of the monkeys, I love this all-too-typically-Herzog anecdote:

To obtain the monkeys used in the climactic sequence, Herzog paid several locals to trap 400 monkeys; he paid them half in advance and was to pay the other half upon receipt. The trappers sold the monkeys to someone in Los Angeles or Miami, and Herzog came to the airport just as the monkeys were being loaded to be shipped out of the country. He pretended to be a veterinarian and claimed that the monkeys needed vaccinations before leaving the country. Abashed, the handlers unloaded the monkeys, and Herzog loaded them into his jeep and drove away, used them in the shot they were required for, and released them afterwards into the jungle.

Julio3000
04-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Patio as Aguirre, us as all the monkeys, and KeithLockhart as Patio's very own daughter, whom he will marry and with whom he will found the purest baseball message-board dynasty the world has ever seen.

Speaking of the monkeys, I love this all-too-typically-Herzog anecdote:

Beautiful.

I doubt there was an SPCA disclaimer on that film.

Tapate50
04-14-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't remember anything with monkeys happening in True Detective. Where am I? Whats happened to the True Detective thread?

The Chosen One
04-14-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't remember anything with monkeys happening in True Detective. Where am I? Whats happened to the True Detective thread?

Uh, I remember it clear as day.

http://i.imgur.com/BWIlMrQ.gif

The Chosen One
04-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Crap. Nvm those are leaves not monkeys.

jpx7
04-14-2014, 02:52 PM

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/questions.gif

The Chosen One
04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
I guess none of y'all liked the monkeys I provided since tapate said they didn't exist.

bravesnumberone
04-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Just finished it up. Overall pretty solid. I think I may need to watch it through again to fully appreciate it. Episodes 4-5 were as good as just about anything.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the second season and a reboot.

Dalyn
05-20-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/exclusive-jessica-chastain-offered-lead-role-in-hbos-true-detective-season-2/

http://www.nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/jessica-chastain.jpg

The Chosen One
05-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Brad Pitt is rumored to be a virtual lock. I like it but would prefer someone else just because I've seen Pitt as a detective in Se7en.

goldfly
05-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Pitt will be awesome

wonder who he will be partnered with

Krgrecw
05-21-2014, 12:11 AM
If Jessica Chastain was offered a lead role wouldn't that mean Pitt was out? Looks like they are going with two women in lead positions.

The Chosen One
05-21-2014, 12:19 AM
It's not a murder case it's apparently a fugitive chase.

jpx7
05-21-2014, 11:20 AM
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/exclusive-jessica-chastain-offered-lead-role-in-hbos-true-detective-season-2/

Or maybe not (www.avclub.com/article/jessica-chastain-probably-wont-star-true-detective-204906):

E! News says that both HBO and reps for the actress say she’s definitely not involved, and The Wrap says that Chastain’s publicist concurs, offering a statement saying, “I can tell you she’s not doing this project officially.”

Of course, as The Wrap points out, this statement also creates some semantic ambiguity, leaving open the possibility that Chastain just hasn’t officially signed on yet—and thereby drawing a parallel to the writings of philosopher Gilbert Ryle, who criticized the “official doctrine” of mind/body dualism and its false dogma of the “ghost in the machine,” as it pertains to mental states being mysteriously separate from physical ones. For example, the illusion of there being a separation from mentally knowing you will star on an HBO show and physically signing a contract to star on one.

gilesfan
05-27-2014, 01:09 PM
3 leads?

Tapate50
05-27-2014, 01:18 PM
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/questions.gif

This is excellent work.

Krgrecw
07-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Colin Farrell? Don't think anyone saw that coming a week ago.

BRule
09-23-2014, 01:54 PM
HBO makes it official.........

Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn will be the two leads

BlackwaterPark
09-23-2014, 02:31 PM
I really dislike Vince...ugh

The Chosen One
06-28-2015, 09:04 PM
This show just pissed me off. Ruined the best part of the show so far.

chop2chip
06-29-2015, 12:32 AM
This show just pissed me off. Ruined the best part of the show so far.That would be very Game of Thrones like if what happened is a finality of sorts.

Tapate50
06-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Kevlar? Just sayin'.

Would be very odd to have him out of the entire rest of the season.

The Chosen One
06-29-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm hoping it's just rubber bullets or salt like Kill Bill. I watched it on dvr again and I didn't see blood anywhere when he got shotm

Tapate50
06-29-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm hoping it's just rubber bullets or salt like Kill Bill. I watched it on dvr again and I didn't see blood anywhere when he got shotm

Some of the trailer scenes have not occurred yet and he is in those.

The Chosen One
06-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Some of the trailer scenes have not occurred yet and he is in those.

Then the episode description for next week includes Ray in it. So I'm hopeful...

BRule
06-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Then the episode description for next week includes Ray in it. So I'm hopeful...

Flash backs of what happened with his ex

chop2chip
06-29-2015, 11:00 AM

The trailer clips are the dead giveaway that he's still alive. If you look at the scene, it also looks like a stage crime scene as well.

I seriously doubt he is dead.

The Chosen One
06-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Flash backs of what happened with his ex

Yes. Don't think it'll top Daddario or Monaghan scenes from last year.

bravesnumberone
06-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Last night was a little better than first episode. Still a little meh, but good and interesting enough so far. Vince Vaughn is the weak link. They are trying to give him dialogue and moments like Rust Cohle, and that's really not fair.

So far, Rachel McAdams' character is the one I'm most interested in.

Abigail Spencer, though....

:pound:

gilesfan
06-30-2015, 07:58 AM
If he's alive, then the show loses all credibility to me.

Tapate50
06-30-2015, 08:03 AM
If he's alive, then the show loses all credibility to me.

Jeez. It is a fictional TV series. Let go a little.

gilesfan
06-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Jeez. It is a fictional TV series. Let go a little.

All the build up to that last scene and to have him shot? This isn't some b-list tv series that needs shock endings to draw you into the next week. Its cheap

Tapate50
06-30-2015, 08:26 AM
All the build up to that last scene and to have him shot? This isn't some b-lick tv series that needs shock endings to draw you into the next week. Its cheap

I think you take TV way too seriously. They could have just gone black before he gets blasted. I liked it. They don't need it but it doesn't ruin anything for most people.

gilesfan
06-30-2015, 08:35 AM
I think you take TV way too seriously. They could have just gone black before he gets blasted. I liked it. They don't need it but it doesn't ruin anything for most people.

I really don't take it that serious. I'm not a fan of shock endings that turn out to be misleading. It caters to stupid people.

Tapate50
07-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Everything unfolding VERY slowly.

BRule
07-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Everything unfolding VERY slowly.

This is a high speed chase compared to Season 1

bravesnumberone
07-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Looking pretty good now. Getting better every week.

The Chosen One
07-07-2015, 10:23 PM
I think people need to do their best to separate htis from Season 1 to appreciate it more.

I loved season 1, fantastic leads, environment, themes, and acting.

Season 2 is a different cast, mystery, production altogether. I think by itself it's better than a lot of what's on TV, it's just Season 1 is held in such high regard (a lot in due part thanks to MM, and the advantage of having the desolate southern backwoods creepiness to help it). What Season 2 could have done is make Vinci feel so big that it's almost impossible to solve the mystery just like the Bayou area was so big in Season 1 they had to really dig deep to investigate and solve it. They've tried to do with with constant shots of the interstate and tons of cars driving around, but it could be pulled off better.

I mean so far things have almost fallen into the hands of the detectives. Kitsch goes on his motorcycle ride, and happens to find Casper's body. McAdams' investigating a prostitution raid happens to find her sister. Then she investigates the missing Mexican girl, and that girl happens to have worked at her dad's retreat. Then last night the suspect just so happens to set off the missing car at the same time Stache and McAdams are doing police work at the driver's house.

These are hollywood coincidences, whereas Season 1 actually had great detective work.

The Chosen One
07-20-2015, 02:06 PM
This season has been entertaining. It won't live up to S1's bar, but it's fine as a standalone.

Runnin
07-20-2015, 07:10 PM
This year's story is easier to follow. I thought season one's plot resolution was weak. A lot of weird conjecture that never went anywhere.

bravesnumberone
07-20-2015, 11:05 PM
I just am not very interested in this season. I'm finding it hard to care about the characters.

jpx7
07-20-2015, 11:42 PM
I've liked it. Not transcendent, but quite good nonetheless.

bravesnumberone
08-03-2015, 04:56 PM
This has been a really uneven season, but it's been really good the last two weeks.

Runnin
08-04-2015, 12:23 AM
This week's show, episode 7, was the best of the season so far. imo

chop2chip
08-04-2015, 01:04 AM
This week's show, episode 7, was the best of the season so far. imo
Maybe the best the show has ever done. It basically made this entire convoluted plot make at least a modicum of sense.

Vince Vaughn has been out of his element on the show, but he was fantastic in this episode.