PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Creationism in Public Schools

Runnin
01-27-2014, 04:19 AM
I ran across this map today. Finally Mississippi outdoing its neighbors on something. I have to believe it's just a matter of time before they get on board with this.

GREEN- Public schools in states where state law allows creationist instruction.

ORANGE- Private schools that teach creationism and accept tax-exempt vouchers

RED- Responsive Ed charter schools using creationist curricula. (A bunch in Texas.) FULL MAP HERE (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_public_schools_mapped_where_tax_mon ey_supports_alternatives.html)
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_public_schools_mapped_where_tax_mon ey_supports_alternatives/140124_motw.png.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.png

And I don't know if this is an actual poll or who of, but this also came up in a google search.

http://www.lsu.edu/highlights/2009/04/louisiana_public_policy_lab_gallery/images/2.jpg

Without trying to be smug or dismissive, it's really hard to believe that this can still be an issue in 2014. I would love to sit in on some of those creationist classes. I'll bet the teachers hate teaching it.

Hawk
01-27-2014, 04:41 AM
What are the colors of the dots supposed to signify?

Runnin
01-27-2014, 09:09 AM
What are the colors of the dots supposed to signify?
Sorry about that. Good question.

goldfly
01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
And we wonder why we are falling behind in every category

We are going backwards when it comes to science in this country

thethe
01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
If you want Creationism taught then send your kids to a Catholic School. Public schools should NEVER include this in their curriculum.

Dalyn
01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
If you want Creationism taught then send your kids to a Catholic School. Public schools should NEVER include this in their curriculum.

Or just teach them in Sunday School. Better yet, just teach them about evolution and tell them, "That's how God did it."

AerchAngel
01-27-2014, 05:29 PM
And we wonder why we are falling behind in every category

We are going backwards when it comes to science in this country

I would go further than that in teachers aren't allow to teach but spoon feed what the government want them to learn, you know, like to obey like a sheep/lemming.

jpx7
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Or just teach them in Sunday School. Better yet, just teach them about evolution and tell them, "That's how God did it."

That's how the Episcopals explained it at my parochial elementary school.

zitothebrave
01-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Catholic School I went to taught evolution. Of course overall the catholic school I went to was very good about not jamming religion into all classes. Religion had a religion class, and history and science were their own thing.

goldfly
01-27-2014, 08:49 PM
my earth science teacher (Mrs Wall) cried in front of the class cause she said she was being forced to teach some evolution theories

cajunrevenge
01-27-2014, 11:54 PM
I am okay with teaching creationism only if they include the flying spaghetti monster.

50PoundHead
01-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Catholic School I went to taught evolution. Of course overall the catholic school I went to was very good about not jamming religion into all classes. Religion had a religion class, and history and science were their own thing.

My brother teaches math in a parochial school and its pretty much what you describe here. They have chapel and religion class, but there's no direct religious influence in the rest of the curriculum.

Runnin
01-30-2014, 06:26 AM
I wonder if classes are making it harder for students to believe in creationism without being ridiculed by their classmates. It's shining a light on something that's best left in the shadows. That's why it shouldn't be in the schools.

How do you talk about the subject without having to deal with all the awkward facts?

Metaphysicist
01-30-2014, 08:47 AM
The Catholic church does not deny evolution. I'm sure the fundies won't like y'all confusing them for catholics (aka, not real christians).