PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Trade Deadline

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Enscheff
07-08-2022, 01:40 PM
The trade deadline is coming up in a few weeks. The Braves have some relatively minor holes, possibly lots of cash to fill them, but very little prospect capital to deal.

Lots of names have been thrown around as targets...

Ian Happ - Signed for $6.9M this year, controlled for 2023 via arb for what will probably be ~$10M. Seems like a good candidate to fill in at 2B then slide to the OF if/when Albies returns. It's unlikely many teams will be fooled by his current .341 BABIP bosting his BA a bit, and this is likely his career year. Should cost something approximating a FV45 or low end 50 plus filler.

Whit Merrifield - Signed for $7M this year, and $2.75M plus $4M in incentives for 2023 with an $18M mutual option for 2024 that is almost certainly not going to be picked up by both sides. Like Happ, he could be the 2B/OF hybrid that fits this roster nicely. He's never been a great hitter (102 career wRC+ is almost exactly average), but his current bad results appear mostly due to a career low .263 BABIP. He is on the downside of his career, and should be a bit cheaper to acquire than Happ.

David Peralta - Signed for $7.3M this year. It seems like this guy has been a potential trade target for years, and that's because he offers what the Braves always seem to lack: MLB average offense in LF. Peralta is back to doing Peralta-type things this year. He should be fairly cheap to acquire, but only makes sense if Rosario fails to rebound after eye surgery, which is why it's imperative to get Rosario as close to 100 PAs as possible before the deadline.

Andrew Benintendi - Signed for $8.5M this year. He is pretty much the lower power higher OBP version of Peralta. He should be similarly cheap to acquire, and like Peralta, only makes sense if Rosario doesn't get back to form.

Brandon Drury - Signed for $900k this season. He appears to be the utility guy the Braves have always wanted guys like Camargo and Arcia to be (remember how painful it was watching them play OF?). Drury could fill in at 2B and then slide over to LF when Albies is back if Duvall/Rosario aren't getting it done. He can also fill in everywhere else. This may be the guy to target, and he might be a bit more expensive to acquire than first meets the eye.

Those are just the position players that caught my eye, and AA probably needs at least one high leverage RHP in the BP. I suspect the rotation will be deemed good enough that they won't look to add there.

chop2chip
07-08-2022, 03:10 PM
Detroit has a few players that might make sense.

Schoop is a 2B on an affordable contract with a player option for next year that he probably declines. He’s been bad this year offensively, but he has a recent track record of success. Has never played the outfield, so YMMV whether he’s a fit. Provides good insurance for us in case Ozzie has complications coming back.

Meadows is a train wreck in the outfield, but he’s LH and young with solid upside (at least offensively). Controllable for the next three years.

Detroit has a lot of good arms in the bullpen as well (Fillmore, Soto, etc.).

Hudson2
07-08-2022, 03:14 PM
I’d put Drury then Happ as my top 2.

The Chosen One
07-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Drury gonna come home.

Reliving the Golden Wren years.

chop2chip
07-08-2022, 03:26 PM
The Rays are never shy about trading from their major league roster, especially guys that have guaranteed money.

Brandon Lowe could be perfect. Bats LH plays 2B/OF and cost controlled through 2026 (guaranteed $15m next two years). He is on the IL right now, but is expected back soon.

clvclv
07-08-2022, 03:37 PM
The Rays are never shy about trading from their major league roster, especially guys that have guaranteed money.

Brandon Lowe could be perfect. Bats LH plays 2B/OF and cost controlled through 2026 (guaranteed $15m next two years). He is on the IL right now, but is expected back soon.

Not so fast - Steven Matz hit him in the back of the head last night.

Nerfherders
07-08-2022, 04:13 PM
I'm predicting that AA will make a splash and it will be something we cannot predict, like getting a big-time starter that wasn't on anyone's radar.

thewupk
07-08-2022, 05:07 PM
I'm predicting that AA will make a splash and it will be something we cannot predict, like getting a big-time starter that wasn't on anyone's radar.

Syndergaard. Gonna get him to really **** the Mets down the stretch

clvclv
07-08-2022, 05:34 PM

Depending on what's considered "on anyone's radar" I think it's at least feasible that he includes Anderson to get a controllable guy like Castillo. He'd probably have to "back up the truck" to make it happen, but a Fried, Morton, Castillo, Wright, Strider rotation (with Strider shifting to the pen in the postseason) lines up with ANYBODY.

I don't really consider Castillo on my radar since I don't think Alex has the type of prospect package that will be required to get him, but if he's willing to include the three years of arbitration control over Anderson along with Muller (plus a sweetener if needed) might be enough to get him. If Anderson can get his act back together and Muller really has turned the corner pairing them with Greene and Lodolo ought to be pretty attractive for the Reds.

zbhargrove
07-08-2022, 05:45 PM
Syndergaard and Drury

The Chosen One
07-08-2022, 05:47 PM
Syndergaard seems like the type of move the Dodgers make first.

Or if Dodgers go big and get Castillo, I could see AA swooping in for Noah to match the move.

Hudson2
07-08-2022, 05:50 PM
The SP FA class is pretty good this offseason so if we trade Anderson I’d rather it be in a deal for a legit LF.

zbhargrove
07-08-2022, 05:51 PM
Just remember. Syndergaard was that one guy AA always regretted trading.

Hudson2
07-08-2022, 05:54 PM
I could see a Thor signing. The rotation will depend a lot on how Morton does down the stretch and how Soroka comes back. AA should be in a pretty good position this offseason to load the team up for a strong run the next few years.

bravesnumberone
07-08-2022, 05:58 PM
Ian Anderson for Freddie Freeman

msstate7
07-08-2022, 07:24 PM
Any chance the marlins would trade wendle?

chop2chip
07-08-2022, 07:38 PM
Any chance the marlins would trade wendle?
I like this idea a lot. Marlins could be contenders for that last WC spot so I would be surprised if they were sellers.

Coredor
07-08-2022, 11:44 PM
We don't have a lot of trade chips we could realistically give uo so I don't know how we'd get a good SP unless it's a situation like Thor since he's on a fairly expensive one year deal. We could always use a bullpen arm or two and I suspect we'll get that. I don't know what to expect of Matzek going forward. The LF ideas make sense depending on what Rosario does.

I wish we could get a starting pitcher. I worry Striker may wear down. He's a power arm who hasn't pitched this much before. I don't really trust Anderson either. Soroka could be a wild card, but I don't have any expectations for him. It would be hard to for a guy who hasn't pitched in two years.

The Chosen One
07-08-2022, 11:49 PM
We don't have a lot of trade chips we could realistically give uo so I don't know how we'd get a good SP unless it's a situation like Thor since he's on a fairly expensive one year deal. We could always use a bullpen arm or two and I suspect we'll get that. I don't know what to expect of Matzek going forward. The LF ideas make sense depending on what Rosario does.

I wish we could get a starting pitcher. I worry Striker may wear down. He's a power arm who hasn't pitched this much before. I don't really trust Anderson either. Soroka could be a wild card, but I don't have any expectations for him. It would be hard to for a guy who hasn't pitched in two years.

Striker has been pulling double duty posting here and in the politics forum.

I hope he doesn't wear down the rest of the way.

thethe
07-09-2022, 05:57 AM
Any chance to flipping Anderson+ for Castillo?

What would that look like?

NYCBrave
07-09-2022, 06:55 AM
Any chance to flipping Anderson+ for Castillo?

What would that look like?

The time to sell high on Anderson is probably over. Just like we see how much he's struggled so does the entire league. I think our best bet is to have him figure things out and retain him as a cheap starter.

On another note, I don't really see the need for a high end starter. Seems like an expensive luxury. Where would he even fit in the playoff rotation?

striker42
07-09-2022, 07:08 AM
Striker has been pulling double duty posting here and in the politics forum.

I hope he doesn't wear down the rest of the way.

No worries, I'm a machine.

thethe
07-09-2022, 07:12 AM
The time to sell high on Anderson is probably over. Just like we see how much he's struggled so does the entire league. I think our best bet is to have him figure things out and retain him as a cheap starter.

On another note, I don't really see the need for a high end starter. Seems like an expensive luxury. Where would he even fit in the playoff rotation?

Have a feeling strider will be our Mariano Rivera this postseason. We may have to hedge against Matzek regressing.

NYCBrave
07-09-2022, 07:20 AM
Have a feeling strider will be our Mariano Rivera this postseason. We may have to hedge against Matzek regressing.

But even if the division is a coin flip right now, there is a good chance we end up in a 3 game playoff series to start. Who do you want to bump from the rotation?

thethe
07-09-2022, 07:42 AM
But even if the division is a coin flip right now, there is a good chance we end up in a 3 game playoff series to start. Who do you want to bump from the rotation?

Maybe it’s a bad decision but I’m structuring the roster for 5/7 game series. If Wright has to be skipped then so be it.

bravesnumberone
07-09-2022, 07:44 AM
Haven’t heard David Robertson mentioned here much, but he’d be a good candidate for the pen. Would help Snit be able to use Minter or hopefully a revived Matzek in a big fifth-inning spot in the playoffs.

bravesnumberone
07-09-2022, 07:49 AM
I’m interested to see how Strider’s innings will be managed down the stretch along with what Soroka might be able to give us once he’s back. Will we see a situation where every five days, Soroka and Strider throw three innings apiece? Or Anderson and Strider if Soroka can build up and stay healthy? Either way, I don’t see AA grabbing a starter unless we have injuries or he thinks he can Houdini his way to a frontline one, which would likely involve trading Anderson.

bravesnumberone
07-09-2022, 07:56 AM
Merrifield has shown signs of heating up recently, much like Soler had been last summer. Maybe that career-low BABIP evening out some. AA might consider moving early on a move like that before the Royals think to ask for more.

bravesnumberone
07-09-2022, 08:19 AM
Since the Dodgers and Mets will likely be heavily in on the Castillo sweepstakes, what would it take for the Braves to potentially land him and Drury in the same trade? Anderson/Mueller/Davidson and one or two out of Waters/Grissom/Shewmake?

Hudson2
07-09-2022, 09:40 AM
I don’t think we need the rotation help really. Any resources need to put into the bullpen and bench.

bravesfanforlife88
07-09-2022, 10:12 AM
I don’t think we need the rotation help really. Any resources need to put into the bullpen and bench.

Well by upgrading the rotation, you in turn upgrade your pen. Come playoff time, you can move 1 or 2 guys to the pen. For instance, you can roll with Fried, Morton, new addition , then have Strider, Anderson, and Soroka move to the pen. I include Strider assuming we are going to scale back his workload.

Coredor
07-09-2022, 10:31 AM
A starting pitcher would be hard to get. We really don’t have that many trade chips. We’ve been lucky to have hit on a high percentage on Strider and Harris because we’re not that deep thanks to Manfred’s international BS. Everyone will want the few that are available and with the expanded wild cards only the worst teams are out of it.

Hudson2
07-09-2022, 10:48 AM
Well by upgrading the rotation, you in turn upgrade your pen. Come playoff time, you can move 1 or 2 guys to the pen. For instance, you can roll with Fried, Morton, new addition , then have Strider, Anderson, and Soroka move to the pen. I include Strider assuming we are going to scale back his workload.

Wright has to be in there too. We don’t have the pieces to upgrade the rotation at the deadline imo. Yates is coming back and will help out. Strider might be the best reliever in the majors if put there. Muller could possibly come up and help the bullpen down the stretch too.

Nerfherders
07-09-2022, 11:59 AM
Heh, anyone we're talking about right now is on the radar. I'm thinking of someone controllable on a decent team that comes out of nowhere, and after we look at the trade, we'd be like, "Ehh, it kinda makes sense though!"

clvclv
07-09-2022, 01:25 PM

Everyone ALWAYS needs help in the rotation and the pen - it's baseball.

"You can never have enough pitching" should be considered the Eleventh Commandment.

clvclv
07-09-2022, 01:28 PM
Wright has to be in there too. We don’t have the pieces to upgrade the rotation at the deadline imo. Yates is coming back and will help out. Strider might be the best reliever in the majors if put there. Muller could possibly come up and help the bullpen down the stretch too.

You have absolutely no clue what you'll get from Yates - he's as big a question mark as Soroka at this point. To this point in his career Muller has shown he's a decent AAAA Pitcher - counting on guys like that lead to quick playoff exits.

Slippyjms
07-09-2022, 02:01 PM
Let’s just look at our ideal playoff roster from what we currently have internally

Lineup

Acuña RF
Swanson SS
Olson 1B
Riley 3B
Albies 2B
d’Arnaud C
Ozuna DH
Rosario/Duvall LF
Harris ll

Bench

Duvall/Rosario OF
Contreras C
Arcia SS
Heredia OF

SP

Fried
Soroka
Morton
Wright

Bulk

Anderson
Lee

RP

Mchugh
Chavez
Matzek
Yates
Minter
Strider

CL

Jansen

If everyone can stick then we’re really just looking to upgrade Heredia. Such a move makes sense as well due to our over load on OF. Rosario is our big lefty bat and Duvall can play CF if Harris goes down.

That said we need to find someone to push Duvall and Arcia for playing time. Preferably that could play CF. A competent 3rd catcher would help as well to get Contreras in the lineup more as well.

Hudson2
07-09-2022, 02:17 PM
You have absolutely no clue what you'll get from Yates - he's as big a question mark as Soroka at this point. To this point in his career Muller has shown he's a decent AAAA Pitcher - counting on guys like that lead to quick playoff exits.

Nope we don’t know but they still need to pitch so we can find out. We don’t have the resources to get a few studs right now. Fried, Morton, Wright is more than fine in a 5 game series. Add in Anderson or Strider for a 7 game series. Strider and Anderson come out of the bullpen in the 5 game series to lengthen the bullpen. I still think he’ll get a decent BP arm and a bench bat.

The Chosen One
07-09-2022, 02:32 PM
No worries, I'm a machine.

I know how much writing you do working as a lawyer.

Add on typing and posting as much as you do here.

I'm just trying to manage your workload to avoid tommy john.

Heyward
07-09-2022, 02:44 PM
I think we have enough in the rotation but agree a BP piece from the right side, and someone for the bench/depth is all thats needed. No idea who AA will target for that.

clvclv
07-10-2022, 01:23 PM
https://www.sportstalkatl.com/will-the-braves-restrict-spencer-striders-usage-because-of-an-innings-limit/

Enscheff
07-12-2022, 05:43 PM
Good list of potential targets: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/top-50-trade-mlb-trade-candidates.html

The names Benintendi, Merrifield, Drury, Happ, Peralta and Pham have been thoroughly discussed here as Duvall/Rosario replacements, but this list also has all the RHP BP arms that may be available.

Here are all the listed BP arms and their 2021/2022 xwOBA overall (vs RHH in parentheses). I left out Cishek since he is very similar to ODay.

Fulmer .289 (.278)
Jimenez .290 (.300)
Bard .293 (.267)
Robertson .300 (.334)
Bass .308 (.261)
Givens .314 (.311)
Trivino .321 (.280)
Lopez .339 (.322)
Colome .343 (.334)

Looks to me the target for another RH setup guy should be Fulmer, Bard, or Bass...possibly Jimenez or Trivino or Givens.

clvclv
07-13-2022, 09:09 AM
Good list of potential targets: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/top-50-trade-mlb-trade-candidates.html

The names Benintendi, Merrifield, Drury, Happ, Peralta and Pham have been thoroughly discussed here as Duvall/Rosario replacements, but this list also has all the RHP BP arms that may be available.

Here are all the listed BP arms and their 2021/2022 xwOBA overall (vs RHH in parentheses). I left out Cishek since he is very similar to ODay.

Fulmer .289 (.278)
Jimenez .290 (.300)
Bard .293 (.267)
Robertson .300 (.334)
Bass .308 (.261)
Givens .314 (.311)
Trivino .321 (.280)
Lopez .339 (.322)
Colome .343 (.334)

Looks to me the target for another RH setup guy should be Fulmer, Bard, or Bass...possibly Jimenez or Trivino or Givens.

Mentioned the two of them earlier, but if Alex is looking to fill BOTH those roles in the same deal that Happ/Givens would probably be the best target for that type of trade - particularly if he's looking to make something happen early. Those two aren't being widely talked about yet, and are both controllable next season which ought to make you feel a little better in the event you have to overpay a bit to get them (especially if you can make it happen before the market really heats up).

bravesnumberone
07-13-2022, 10:35 AM
Would like to see Givens' walks be a little lower.

thethe
07-13-2022, 10:51 AM
Where is this new relief pitcher everyone wants to acquire going to pitch?

I don't see a need in the pen right now.

Another bat off the bench is where we need to go.

NYCBrave
07-13-2022, 11:26 AM

It's really just a nice luxury to have. You can certainly upgrade from O'Day, Stephens, or Lee, but not sure what inning this player would even be used. We are pretty set in the back end of the bullpen.

thethe
07-13-2022, 11:35 AM
It's really just a nice luxury to have. You can certainly upgrade from O'Day, Stephens, or Lee, but not sure what inning this player would even be used. We are pretty set in the back end of the bullpen.

I could see that although I like Lee and think if hes your 5th/6th inning guy you're in very good shape.

msstate7
07-13-2022, 11:47 AM

Be nice if we could find a super utility lhh.

clvclv
07-13-2022, 12:11 PM

You add to the pen whenever the opportunity arises.

With Matzek back, you take advantage of the fact that Lee can be sent down without losing him - there's no need for a FOURTH lefty in the pen. O'Day going to the IL to make room for Jansen means you can replace Lee with a righty that's an upgrade over O'Day - if you find one you simply release O'Day to make room on the roster instead of having to juggle things.

striker42
07-14-2022, 01:11 PM
Be nice if we could find a super utility lhh.

I agree with this. I'd love a bat to put in left if Duvall and Rosario continue to struggle. However, a super-utility guy that can actually hit some would also be great. It could help guard against injury, let guys get rest down the stretch, and replace ABs by guys like Heredia and Arcia.

Hudson2
07-14-2022, 01:23 PM
Drury, Happ, and Benintendi are the 3 I want the most. Whichever one comes the cheapest I guess.

thewupk
07-14-2022, 01:26 PM
I agree with this. I'd love a bat to put in left if Duvall and Rosario continue to struggle. However, a super-utility guy that can actually hit some would also be great. It could help guard against injury, let guys get rest down the stretch, and replace ABs by guys like Heredia and Arcia.

Duvall is not struggling. Since June 1st Duvall has a 210 WRC+ against lefties and is at 131 on the year. He's currently fulfilling the role that should be expected of him. A lefty masher.

Right now the question mark is Rosario. Duvall needs a platoon partner. Hopefully, the last few games is Rosario getting back to being a non-****ty hitter.

striker42
07-14-2022, 01:38 PM
Duvall is not struggling. Since June 1st Duvall has a 210 WRC+ against lefties and is at 131 on the year. He's currently fulfilling the role that should be expected of him. A lefty masher.

Right now the question mark is Rosario. Duvall needs a platoon partner. Hopefully, the last few games is Rosario getting back to being a non-****ty hitter.

Only 34 PAs against lefties since June 1 so SSS issues there. However, if Rosario's struggles continue I'm not letting Duvall being above average against lefties dissuade me from getting someone else out there if a good enough bat comes available. I'm not against getting a lefty to platoon with Duvall (a Pederson type though I doubt he'll be available). But LF is an area where we can pretty clearly upgrade.

msstate7
07-14-2022, 01:55 PM
Could benintendi's vaccine status help him fall to us on the cheap?

Enscheff
07-14-2022, 02:52 PM
Considering the Braves don't have a ton of holes, especially if Rosario is back to normal, the play might be to help teams like the Padres by taking bad contracts packaged with prospects.

It seems like the Braves should have lots of money available at the deadline, and no real places to make an impactful upgrade.

thewupk
07-14-2022, 03:02 PM
Only 34 PAs against lefties since June 1 so SSS issues there. However, if Rosario's struggles continue I'm not letting Duvall being above average against lefties dissuade me from getting someone else out there if a good enough bat comes available. I'm not against getting a lefty to platoon with Duvall (a Pederson type though I doubt he'll be available). But LF is an area where we can pretty clearly upgrade.

Still 131 WRC+ on the season. He had a slow start but Duvall is doing Duvall things out there.

Russ2dollas
07-14-2022, 03:19 PM
Could benintendi's vaccine status help him fall to us on the cheap?

If he's cheap, then I'd get him.

It's possible his value tanks for AL teams.

I'd be willing to leave ozuna off the playoff roster if I had 2 of Benintindi/Duvall/Rosario mashing (more likely just bench him). Plus you'd keep him from someone else. If he costs what any of our 3 WR costs last year, I'd take him and figure it out on the back end. They can make Heredia a coach or a ball boy if it's a roster crunch.

Russ2dollas
07-14-2022, 03:21 PM
Considering the Braves don't have a ton of holes, especially if Rosario is back to normal, the play might be to help teams like the Padres by taking bad contracts packaged with prospects.

It seems like the Braves should have lots of money available at the deadline, and no real places to make an impactful upgrade.

That would be 3D chess. I think it would be interesting to see.

Touki did not work out, but I LOVED the trade at the time. I think more teams should do NBA style trades. If you have a 50 million or so payroll, then I'd look to take an Ozuna off a team if they make it worth my while. Then maybe he puts it together and you flip him later.

I'd love to see the Braves buy a prospect or two. Maybe some bullpen arms to potentially free up the 30 million committed to Jansen and SMith this year for next year's budget?

thethe
07-14-2022, 03:21 PM

This I like...especially, if as you say, Rosario is back to 'normal' but the one caveat I'd add is if Yate is also effective before the deadline.

bravesfanMatt
07-14-2022, 03:25 PM
This I like...especially, if as you say, Rosario is back to 'normal' but the one caveat I'd add is if Yate is also effective before the deadline.

I still just can't get excited about a mid 30's reliever who hasn't thrown a pitch in 2 years as a reliable source of quality innings..

Russ2dollas
07-14-2022, 03:26 PM
you can only have 13 pitchers.

Assume 5 starters. And in the playoffs we likely keep those 5, even if Strider or Anderson go to the Pen.

1. Jansen
2. Smith
3. Minter
4. Maztek
5. Chavez
6. Lee
7. McHugh
8. Stephens

That is with DOD on a fake injury. I would love a playoff pen w/o DOD. Chavez has been good, but I think you could upgrade him.

We know Yates has a shot to be back and good, but it's still unknown. Soroka is difficult to count on.

Lee and Stephens have been good, but they are potential upgrade spots.

DirkPiggler
07-14-2022, 03:28 PM
you can only have 13 pitchers.

Assume 5 starters. And in the playoffs we likely keep those 5, even if Strider or Anderson go to the Pen.

1. Jansen
2. Smith
3. Minter
4. Maztek
5. Chavez
6. Lee
7. McHugh
8. Stephens

That is with DOD on a fake injury. I would love a playoff pen w/o DOD. Chavez has been good, but I think you could upgrade him.

We know Yates has a shot to be back and good, but it's still unknown. Soroka is difficult to count on.

Lee and Stephens have been good, but they are potential upgrade spots.

I guess you carry Stephens on a postseason roster, but it seems like he's the odd many out. Whichever starter gets bumped to the pen could take the mop up and/or long relief role.

Like you I could also see Lee being upgraded. Probably don't need three lefties in a situation where you'll never play more than two straight days.

thethe
07-14-2022, 03:30 PM
I still just can't get excited about a mid 30's reliever who hasn't thrown a pitch in 2 years as a reliable source of quality innings..

Yeah, its tough. Luckily we don't need to rely on getting 50+ innings from him. If he could find a way to pitch 20-25 innings and be somewhat close to what he once was then he is a dynamite weapon for us.

chop2chip
07-14-2022, 03:36 PM
You can’t pitch DOD or Chavez in a meaningful playoff game. Absolutely need to upgrade at least one of those slots. Kirby Yates hopefully fills one, and I suspect Braves will try to upgrade the other.

msstate7
07-14-2022, 03:40 PM
You can’t pitch DOD or Chavez in a meaningful playoff game. Absolutely need to upgrade at least one of those slots. Kirby Yates hopefully fills one, and I suspect Braves will try to upgrade the other.

Chavez...
2.97 era
3.06 FIP
3.14 xFIP
0.6 fWAR

He had 7 appearances in postseason with 0 er last season... he was fortunate though. The pen is deeper this season though

Mad Dog Murph
07-14-2022, 03:42 PM

You can pitch Chavez. I agree on DOD.

msstate7
07-14-2022, 03:44 PM
You can pitch Chavez. I agree on DOD.

The fact DOD got a phantom injury when Jansen returned is a pretty big clue he won't be on the playoff roster.

zbhargrove
07-14-2022, 03:45 PM

I don't get why Chavez keeps getting so much shade thrown at him. Dude has been excellent and the peripherals are pretty clear it's not a mirage. He was very good in the playoffs last year.

thethe
07-14-2022, 03:59 PM
Not sure if I think you can pitch Chavez in a meaningful game but I am also not sure that you can't. He is getting the job done and has done so for the Braves over a somewhat decent sample size.

msstate7
07-14-2022, 04:02 PM
Plus, he's what 5th inning guy in a playoff game? Mchugh, smith, or matzek would be 6th/7th

bravesnumberone
07-14-2022, 06:59 PM
The goal should be to have as few "you can't pitch this guy in a playoff game" guys as possible. As always, there will be well over a dozen relievers and a few guys capable of closing available. Zero excuse not to try to land one of them at least.

msstate7
07-14-2022, 07:00 PM
The goal should be to have as few "you can't pitch this guy in a playoff game" guys as possible. As always, there will be well over a dozen relievers and a few guys capable of closing available. Zero excuse not to try to land one of them at least.

So what we trading to upgrade the bottom of our bullpen?

bravesnumberone
07-14-2022, 07:05 PM
So what we trading to upgrade the bottom of our bullpen?

Well depending on who it is and years of control, guys like Muller and Davidson are certainly on the table. I'd start with looking at teams that might have a lot of value in AAAA type arms who can potentially stabilize their big-league rotation. This was probably one argument against trading three players (when the consensus seems to be that we're a thin system) for one draft pick, even though I agree with the draft strategy that's been articulated. It could also have been a solid argument for knocking off the bull**** and giving Freddie his sixth year. Considering Will Smith could be a free agent after the season and wouldn't cost another team much at all, you could look at including him in a deal, too. Sweeten the pot a little with some big-league players. Or we can just bank on Jansen staying healthy and Yates giving us what we think he could.

chop2chip
07-14-2022, 07:13 PM
I don't get why Chavez keeps getting so much shade thrown at him. Dude has been excellent and the peripherals are pretty clear it's not a mirage. He was very good in the playoffs last year.

.354 xWOBA, and let’s face it, it’s not like the eye test is much better. I love the results he’s getting and he’s perfectly capable in a swing innings role.

thethe
07-14-2022, 08:24 PM
Well depending on who it is and years of control, guys like Muller and Davidson are certainly on the table. I'd start with looking at teams that might have a lot of value in AAAA type arms who can potentially stabilize their big-league rotation. This was probably one argument against trading three players (when the consensus seems to be that we're a thin system) for one draft pick, even though I agree with the draft strategy that's been articulated. It could also have been a solid argument for knocking off the bull**** and giving Freddie his sixth year. Considering Will Smith could be a free agent after the season and wouldn't cost another team much at all, you could look at including him in a deal, too. Sweeten the pot a little with some big-league players. Or we can just bank on Jansen staying healthy and Yates giving us what we think he could.

No thank you on including Muller in a deal if the return is a 6/7th inning guy.

bravesnumberone
07-14-2022, 08:28 PM

I'm thinking more a closer-type guy. I would rather save Muller for a trade for a hitter or SP in the offseason, but we'll see.

NYCBrave
07-14-2022, 09:07 PM
I'm thinking more a closer-type guy. I would rather save Muller for a trade for a hitter or SP in the offseason, but we'll see.

The problem with trading Muller is we very well may need him to step into the rotation at some point. We've been pretty fortunate that our starters have stayed healthy. But injuries pop up all the time. Not sure who else is up next on the depth chart.

Hudson2
07-14-2022, 09:09 PM
Yeah I’m not trading Muller right now. He went 6 tonight and stuck out 7 with no walks.

Enscheff
07-15-2022, 10:41 AM

Agreed. If AA is going to upgrade a spot in the BP it should be a clear upgrade that can contribute in October. That means someone with a sub-.300 xwOBA vs RHH.

Replacing Chavez with another Chavez would be rather pointless.

Enscheff
07-15-2022, 10:44 AM
MLBTR on Albies' status, and threw around some trade candidate names:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/braves-targeting-mid-late-august-return-for-ozzie-albies.html

I never considered Solano, but they also mentioned Drury and Merrifield. I think the play for the deadline is one of those guy to cover 2B and then slide to the OF when/if Albies comes back strong.

msstate7
07-15-2022, 11:26 AM
Merrifield like benintendi is unvaccinated. This could help lower cost

jpx7
07-15-2022, 11:38 AM
MLBTR on Albies' status, and threw around some trade candidate names:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/braves-targeting-mid-late-august-return-for-ozzie-albies.html

I never considered Solano, but they also mentioned Drury and Merrifield. I think the play for the deadline is one of those guy to cover 2B and then slide to the OF when/if Albies comes back strong.

Or they go big on Ketel Marte for the same purposes—but that’s obviously highly unlikely.

bravesfanMatt
07-15-2022, 11:58 AM
Or they go big on Ketel Marte for the same purposes—but that’s obviously highly unlikely.

who do we have that could get him.. Couldn't even imagine an OF of Marte/MH2/RAjr

clvclv
07-15-2022, 12:09 PM
Merrifield like benintendi is unvaccinated. This could help lower cost

To the point that you don't trade for either if you're in Alex' shoes.

The Jays are on the outside looking in and the likelihood that you have to play 3 or 4 World Series games there is extremely slim - but not zero. Those guys KNEW FOR A FACT they were going to have to go to Toronto at some point this season and chose not to get vaccinated. It's not like they can run out and get a quick shot to "fix" the issue between the end of the NLCS and the start of the World Series in the event they're traded to one of the NL contenders.

I'm all for their right to choose whether to get the shots - but I sure as *ell wouldn't trade assets for them if I knew they weren't likely going to be available during the Series. Choices come with consequences.

thewupk
07-15-2022, 12:20 PM
There is a point where it doesn't matter the cost. It's still worth it to get them. The odds of the Braves making the WS is low. Just the way it is. Odds are way lower they have to play the Jays. I wouldn't let their vaccination status be a hard no.

msstate7
07-15-2022, 12:20 PM
To the point that you don't trade for either if you're in Alex' shoes.

The Jays are on the outside looking in and the likelihood that you have to play 3 or 4 World Series games there is extremely slim - but not zero. Those guys KNEW FOR A FACT they were going to have to go to Toronto at some point this season and chose not to get vaccinated. It's not like they can run out and get a quick shot to "fix" the issue between the end of the NLCS and the start of the World Series in the event they're traded to one of the NL contenders.

I'm all for their right to choose whether to get the shots - but I sure as *ell wouldn't trade assets for them if I knew they weren't likely going to be available during the Series. Choices come with consequences.

If a player that could really help comes cheap and we pass bc we worried about a potential matchup in the WS, we dumb.

Would you have passed on soler last year bc he was unvaccinated? We knew there was a very real chance he'd have to sit bc of it, and he did.

sturg33
07-15-2022, 12:46 PM
There is a point where it doesn't matter the cost. It's still worth it to get them. The odds of the Braves making the WS is low. Just the way it is. Odds are way lower they have to play the Jays. I wouldn't let their vaccination status be a hard no.

wouldn't trading for an unvaccinated player essentially murder all of our vaccinated players?

too risky

clvclv
07-15-2022, 01:19 PM

I tend to lean this way as well - only fair to make the point though.

In the extremely unlikely event the situation does occur, SOMEBODY will be falling all over themselves looking to call Alex out over it.

Enscheff
07-15-2022, 02:56 PM
wouldn't trading for an unvaccinated player essentially murder all of our vaccinated players?

too risky

This was funny. Typical stupid conservatwit comment, but funny nonetheless.

Btw, when are you buying more crypto? Looking for some legit money management advice.

thewupk
07-15-2022, 03:54 PM
I tend to lean this way as well - only fair to make the point though.

In the extremely unlikely event the situation does occur, SOMEBODY will be falling all over themselves looking to call Alex out over it.

I'm sure somebody would. But nobody would give a **** because if the Braves make the WS again this year then AA would be thought of as the best GM in the sport.

Enscheff
07-15-2022, 07:11 PM
It’s looking like Harris may need a platoon partner in the playoffs, someone someone like Drury or Merrifield can cover 2B for a while, and then be part of the OF platoon.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 11:32 AM
Soto just rejected 440 MILLION from the Nats, per Ken. Nats will entertain trading him. Cant even imagine a package that can land him.

CrimsonCowboy
07-16-2022, 11:35 AM
Soto just rejected 440 MILLION from the Nats, per Ken. Nats will entertain trading him. Cant even imagine a package that can land him.

Just saw that. He really doesn’t want to play in Washington

Heyward
07-16-2022, 11:37 AM
Just saw that. He really doesn’t want to play in Washington

I wouldnt either, tbh. I dont even know who has the trade package to trade and eventually sign him long-term.

Hudson2
07-16-2022, 11:43 AM
No telling how much deferred money is in there. Washington is pretty much washed up and he knows it. He’ll be in NY or LA.

Enscheff
07-16-2022, 11:48 AM
I wouldnt either, tbh. I dont even know who has the trade package to trade and eventually sign him long-term.

It would have to be something like the a package from the Padres including Abrams. I could definitely see Preller doing that to improve the OF.

msstate7
07-16-2022, 11:48 AM
No telling how much deferred money is in there. Washington is pretty much washed up and he knows it. He’ll be in NY or LA.

Maybe the angels offer his 500 million

Heyward
07-16-2022, 11:49 AM

I think even Washington knows, with Boras as his agent he wouldnt accept a deferred deal. But Boras probably wants Soto to hit the market.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 11:56 AM
It would have to be something like the a package from the Padres including Abrams. I could definitely see Preller doing that to improve the OF.

I dont think Washington would be stupid enough to include Corbin or Stras' deal to lower the value. If you trade for him now, you get 3 playoff runs plus a draft pick in return if he walks. So it would have to take an absolute ****ing haul to land him.

CrimsonCowboy
07-16-2022, 12:26 PM

WaitingFor2017
07-16-2022, 12:32 PM
Nats still owe Strasburg 140 million over 4 years and Corbin 59 million for 2 years after the 2022 season.

It does seem like they were on the right track last year by getting Ruiz and Gray for Scherzer and Turner. If they're smart, they'll trade Soto for a haul and eat that Corbin contract since they won't be relevant for the last 2 years on his contract. They'd have to hope that Strasburg is then valuable to them for the final 2 years of his contract.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 12:32 PM

Not sure there's been a player like Soto available with a 2 years years of control left on the trade market. Dont even know whats realistic in terms of a trade offer that Washington would accept.

Mad Dog Murph
07-16-2022, 12:33 PM

Lol.

MadduxFanII
07-16-2022, 12:47 PM
Not sure there's been a player like Soto available with a 2 years years of control left on the trade market. Dont even know whats realistic in terms of a trade offer that Washington would accept.

I would think it's functionally impossible to make a "fair" trade for Juan Soto at this point in his career in terms of dollar value.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 12:47 PM

No deferred money in there, per Ken. Looks like it was 15/440. Boras probably wants something like 10-12/500+.

Enscheff
07-16-2022, 12:48 PM

Rough estimate for his surplus value is 15 wins times $8M is $120M, minus his projected arb salaries totally around $50M is around $70M.

A FV 60 prospect like Abrams would be worth close to $60M all by himself, and would cover the bulk of Soto’s value.

No idea what process the thing quoted in that tweet is using, but it seems a bit outlandish. Folks seem to forget Soto is going to make huge salaries in his final arb years (he will likely set records), and that salary reduces his value quite a bit.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 12:51 PM
I would think it's functionally impossible to make a "fair" trade for Juan Soto at this point in his career in terms of dollar value.

Mets could sign him in free agency but i cant see the Nats trade him there. In terms of farm systems, only teams who could make a somewhat realistic offer and pay him are the Dodgers, Jays, and Padres. Rays technically could but no way they could sign him, obviously.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 12:52 PM
Passan: Front offices are already having the conversations: What is it going to take to acquire Juan Soto in the wake of him turning down a 15-year, $440 million contract offer from the Nationals? And the answer is: The biggest trade package ever. “A Herschel Walker deal,” one GM said.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 12:54 PM
I think Nats probably wait until this winter to move him but that should be the latest they do it. However, a trading team would get 3 playoff runs with him if they do it at the deadline.

Hudson2
07-16-2022, 01:05 PM
Yeah this smells like something the Padres would do.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 01:58 PM
Article in the Athletic said teams would probably have to take on Corbin's contract if they trade for Soto.

zbhargrove
07-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Article in the Athletic said teams would probably have to take on Corbin's contract if they trade for Soto.

Good way to make the return a lot more underwhelming

UNCBlue012
07-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Good way to make the return a lot more underwhelming given the enormous return the Nats would still get, it could be a good way to bolster their farm and get out from under one of the worst deals in baseball.

Enscheff
07-16-2022, 02:24 PM
I’m just not seeing the massive surplus value for Soto. A valuable asset, but nothing a team like the Padres or another team with a strong farm couldn’t swing. Very interested to see this play out.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 02:27 PM
Good way to make the return a lot more underwhelming

I mean yeah but it's not gonna be that much more underwhelming. Still gonna get an insane deal and would get out from Corbin's deal to speed up their rebuild.

Enscheff
07-16-2022, 02:30 PM
I mean yeah but it's not gonna be that much more underwhelming. Still gonna get an insane deal and would get out from Corbin's deal to speed up their rebuild.

But why free up money in the years they aren’t going to contend anyways? This is precisely how teams blow a rebuild.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 02:32 PM
I’m just not seeing the massive surplus value for Soto. A valuable asset, but nothing a team like the Padres or another team with a strong farm couldn’t swing. Very interested to see this play out.

I'm not sure about Herchel Walker deal, biggest deal ever stuff. But if they're attaching Corbin with Soto, yeah i dont know. Maybe get like 3 top 5 prospects, and some filler. I dont know if a team is throwing away their whole farm for Soto.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 02:34 PM
But why free up money in the years they aren’t going to contend anyways? This is precisely how teams blow a rebuild.

Yeah i dont know either. They should keep Corbin and just let him soak up innings so they dont waste valuable years of pitchers coming up through their system eventually. While they're in a rebuild. I am interested what they eventually get for him whether it's at the deadline or this winter.

msstate7
07-16-2022, 02:38 PM
Isn't the team for sale? Maybe they wanna shed some salary for that reason

TURBO
07-16-2022, 02:39 PM
I know it won't happen but imaging Soto in LF for us is fun

Freshmaker
07-16-2022, 02:46 PM
Soto / Harris / Acuna

*drool*

msstate7
07-16-2022, 02:47 PM
I know it won't happen but imaging Soto in LF for us is fun

Acuna
Soto
Riley
Olson
Swanson
TDA/Contreras
Ozuna
2b
Harris

Yeah, that would work

bravesfanforlife88
07-16-2022, 04:25 PM
I'd get Soto just to see what he and Will Smith do in the same locker room

striker42
07-16-2022, 05:29 PM
I'd target a National but not Soto. Josh Bell would look really nice as our DH.

Enscheff
07-16-2022, 05:31 PM
How could the Braves possibly get Soto?

It would have to involve flipping Anderson for prospects, and then taking Soto/Corbin for the Anderson prospects plus additional prospects. Maybe something centered around Wright/Strider could work, but I don’t think the Nats want present value for Soto.

If you squint really hard you can see it, but I can’t imagine AA goes to those lengths in the middle of the season to acquire anyone.

I would wait for Preller to call, and then see how crazy I could make him act trying to get Soto to SD. If AA is smart he might be able to swoop in and take advantage of Preller’s excitement somehow by helping SD up money.

Heyward
07-16-2022, 05:33 PM
How could the Braves possibly get Soto?

It would have to involve flipping Anderson for prospects, and then taking Soto/Corbin for the Anderson prospects plus additional prospects.

If you squint really hard you can see it, but I can’t imagine AA goes to those lengths in the middle of the season to acquire anyone.

Not that it would happen but probably something like Anderson, Strider, Harris, Muller, and Grissom. Probably well short of what it would take too.

Enscheff
07-16-2022, 05:37 PM
Not that it would happen but probably something like Anderson, Strider, Harris, Muller, and Grissom. Probably well short of what it would take too.

See that’s just silly. There’s no way any team could give up half of a starting lineup for 1 guy. This narrative that Soto is going to cost some insane package is nonsense, doubly so if they attach Corbin to him.

Most likely it will be something like a FV 60 guy (there are no prospects higher than that currently in the sport), a couple 50s, and filler. That’s a Top 10 overall guy, a couple Top 100 guys, and then some lottery ticket fillers.

Packages bigger than that simply don’t exist, and no contender is going to tear apart their MLB roster just to get 1 player. Futher, why would the Nats want anyone that’s MLB ready when they won’t be ready to contend for at least 2-3 more seasons, thus wasting the value of guys like Harris and Strider?

Heyward
07-16-2022, 05:40 PM
See that’s just silly. There’s no way any team could give up half of a starting lineup for 1 guy. This narrative that Soto is going to cost some insane package is nonsense, doubly so if they attach Corbin to him.

Most likely it will be something like a FV 60 guy (there are no prospects higher than that currently in the sport), a couple 50s, and filler. That’s a Top 10 overall guy, a couple Top 100 guys, and then some lottery ticket fillers.

Packages bigger than that simply don’t exist, and no contender is going to tear apart their roster just to get 1 player.

We'll just have to see what he ultimately ends up going for. But i do agree, i cant see a team gutting their farm and some of their major league team for one player, albeit a great ass player. Especially if they take on Corbin's deal too. I'd agree on Padres being the team, probably just to so the Dodgers cant get him.

Enscheff
07-16-2022, 05:48 PM
Looking through this list, there are very few teams who can even put together a package of a 60 plus a couple 50s:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2022-in-season-prospect-list/farm-ranking?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team=

Cleveland, Boston, Yankees, Mets, Cards, and Padres are the only contenders would could even afford Soto. If it’s really Soto plus Corbin, Cleveland is out, and most of the rest of those teams don’t have room under the cap.

My prediction is Preller goes nuts trying to free up payroll to get Soto in SD, and hopefully AA is trying to take advantage of him being desperate.

Carp
07-16-2022, 10:39 PM
Rough estimate for his surplus value is 15 wins times $8M is $120M, minus his projected arb salaries totally around $50M is around $70M.

A FV 60 prospect like Abrams would be worth close to $60M all by himself, and would cover the bulk of Soto’s value.

No idea what process the thing quoted in that tweet is using, but it seems a bit outlandish. Folks seem to forget Soto is going to make huge salaries in his final arb years (he will likely set records), and that salary reduces his value quite a bit.

I don't pretend to know how teams value players in terms of trades, but he's been the 2nd best hitter behind only Trout since 2018. And he's 23. I don't know how much more valuable you can get.

Buzzworm
07-16-2022, 10:57 PM
I know they couldn’t afford him but if I was the Brewers I’d send everything I could to aquire him.
They have always been a bat or two away from a WS run and putting him in that lineup would make them a legit contender with the pitching they have.

thewupk
07-17-2022, 12:03 AM
I don't pretend to know how teams value players in terms of trades, but he's been the 2nd best hitter behind only Trout since 2018. And he's 23. I don't know how much more valuable you can get.

You can be more valuable by being better on defense and being signed longer to a better deal. Which is why Acuna for example would bring back more in a trade than Soto. It's all about that surplus value baby.

Carp
07-17-2022, 07:20 AM
You can be more valuable by being better on defense and being signed longer to a better deal. Which is why Acuna for example would bring back more in a trade than Soto. It's all about that surplus value baby.

I know he's sucks on defense, but you can always DH him. And WAR doesn't seem to properly value the DH, imo. 23 year old truly elite hitters rarely become available in a trade, so I don't think teams will be using the standard reason this one.

The Chosen One
07-17-2022, 07:24 AM
He’ll hit free agency right when Ozuna’s contract expires. Perfect timing for a new DH.

jpack1
07-17-2022, 07:55 AM
Basically look at the Olsen deal and add a true premium prospect to it. That’s what Soto is worth. 70-100 mm surplus value. If they stupidly attach Corbin to it it’s 50-80 mm surplus. Then you are right back to similar package as Olsen trade.

SidSlid92
07-17-2022, 08:02 AM
Would something like this be even remotely close?

Anderson
Contreras
Grissom
Muller
Shewmake
Shuster
Royber
Tarnok

Carp
07-17-2022, 10:08 AM

Anderson
Contreras
Grissom
Muller
Shewmake
Shuster
Royber
Tarnok

Probably not. Not because it isn't valuable enough, but because they are probably looking for prospects and the 2 most valuable pieces in that deal have 1+ years of service already (Anderson will surpass 2 years before the end of the season most likely).

WaitingFor2017
07-17-2022, 10:33 AM
Hoping AA gets creative and gets us a solid LHH OF to platoon with Duvall while also getting rid of one of Rosario/Ozuna.

clvclv
07-17-2022, 02:03 PM

Anderson
Contreras
Grissom
Muller
Shewmake
Shuster
Royber
Tarnok

The problem - with any attempt at coming up with an "acceptable" offer - is HOW DO YOU PLAN TO PAY HIM???

Enscheff
07-17-2022, 02:51 PM

He could be 19 and that wouldn’t change the fact he’s only controlled for 2.5 years, and will earn something like $25M in 2023 and $30M in 2024.

Yes, teams put a premium on star players that goes beyond typical dollar/win calculations, but this narrative that Soto is somehow worth half of a contending lineup is nonsense. For one, no such prospect package exists in the sport, and no contender would gut their MLB roster to add a single player.

Enscheff
07-17-2022, 02:53 PM
Basically look at the Olsen deal and add a true premium prospect to it. That’s what Soto is worth. 70-100 mm surplus value. If they stupidly attach Corbin to it it’s 50-80 mm surplus. Then you are right back to similar package as Olsen trade.

I think this is a pretty good way to explain it.

That premium prospect carries a ton of value in the modern sport.

Carp
07-17-2022, 05:20 PM
He could be 19 and that wouldn’t change the fact he’s only controlled for 2.5 years, and will earn something like $25M in 2023 and $30M in 2024.

Yes, teams put a premium on star players that goes beyond typical dollar/win calculations, but this narrative that Soto is somehow worth half of a contending lineup is nonsense. For one, no such prospect package exists in the sport, and no contender would gut their MLB roster to add a single player.

I'm not saying that tweet was realistic. I'm just saying that I don't think standard WAR valuation chart's are gonna apply on this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring back 100+ million in FV in a trade, unless they try to attach Corbin to him. But for the life of me, I can't imagine why you be willing to shell out 400+ million to keep Soto and
then try to tank his trade value by attaching Corbin to him. You were gonna be stuck with Corbin if you extended Soto anyways. What exactly has changed?

thewupk
07-17-2022, 08:34 PM
I know he's sucks on defense, but you can always DH him. And WAR doesn't seem to properly value the DH, imo. 23 year old truly elite hitters rarely become available in a trade, so I don't think teams will be using the standard reason this one.

While that might be true I don't think he sees significant DH time right now.

striker42
07-17-2022, 09:22 PM
While that might be true I don't think he sees significant DH time right now.

He should. He's a terrible fielder.

bravesfanforlife88
07-17-2022, 10:10 PM
If Soto is traded I think it is in the off-season. As mentioned, I don’t think any team really has the prospect capital to hand out right now. I could see it being a 3 team or even 4 team deal to make the trade work.

mossy
07-17-2022, 10:56 PM
Will be fascinating to see where Soto ends up. The more I watch the kid play, the more I like him. In fact, the only thing I don't like is that he's in the NL East, and Will Smith has to face him. That stare down he shows make him look fearless and smart.

The only place out of our division I won't want to see him is LA or St. Louis....or Boston. I hope he ends up on a contender so he doesn't end up like Trout.

zbhargrove
07-17-2022, 11:30 PM
Will be fascinating to see where Soto ends up. The more I watch the kid play, the more I like him. In fact, the only thing I don't like is that he's in the NL East, and Will Smith has to face him. That stare down he shows make him look fearless and smart.

The only place out of our division I won't want to see him is LA or St. Louis....or Boston. I hope he ends up on a contender so he doesn't end up like Trout.

How does that stare down make him look fearless and smart? More like a giant douche... also the crotch grabbing... come on. I believe the Nats trade him when I see it... and if it happens I doubt it happens at the deadline.

clvclv
07-18-2022, 07:48 AM

Packages bigger than that simply don’t exist, and no contender is going to tear apart their MLB roster just to get 1 player. Futher, why would the Nats want anyone that’s MLB ready when they won’t be ready to contend for at least 2-3 more seasons, thus wasting the value of guys like Harris and Strider?

I tend to even question who will be willing to even offer your package of a Top 10, a couple Top 100s, and filler AND pay what it's going to take to extend him on top of that. While Soto has plenty of surplus value for the next couple of seasons, that value completely dries up when you have to give him half a billion dollars - even if you're a team in a market where you're capable of consistently playing at the upper levels of the luxury tax penalties you're going to need to surround him with prospects like that if your goal is to win a championship because you're going to have to pay some of your other core pieces substantial salaries as well.

I think the teams that just might be in play for Soto if/when he reaches free-agency are all the darkhorses with deep farm systems today - someone like Baltimore that has pieces like Rutschman, Mountcastle, and Hays already in place and kids like Rodriguez, Henderson, Cowser, Hall, Kjerstad, Westburg, and Holliday ready to establish themselves when the front office splurges on Soto's salary.

clvclv
07-18-2022, 10:50 AM
Yankees reportedly not interested in Benintendi since he's not vaccinated...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/latest-on-royals-trade-candidates.html

thewupk
07-18-2022, 12:24 PM
Yankees reportedly not interested in Benintendi since he's not vaccinated...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/latest-on-royals-trade-candidates.html

Considering they have to go to Toronto regularly and possibly in the playoffs it makes sense for them. An NL team would be the best bet land him.

CyYoung31
07-18-2022, 12:26 PM
Didn’t the Braves require everyone involved with team first-hand to become vaccinated? That’s why Chipper is no longer an instructor.

thewupk
07-18-2022, 12:31 PM
Didn’t the Braves require everyone involved with team first-hand to become vaccinated? That’s why Chipper is no longer an instructor.

Soler wasn't last year. Maybe their policy changed. Maybe it doesn't apply to players.

CyYoung31
07-18-2022, 12:44 PM
Soler wasn't last year. Maybe their policy changed. Maybe it doesn't apply to players.

It was changed this year. That’s why Chipper was an instructor last year and not this year.

CyYoung31
07-18-2022, 12:45 PM
Just looked, and it appears it’s only required for coaching staff, which is weird.

DirkPiggler
07-18-2022, 01:02 PM
Just looked, and it appears it’s only required for coaching staff, which is weird.

Coaching staff isn't part of a union.

chop2chip
07-18-2022, 01:09 PM

Player’s union ain’t about that

The Chosen One
07-18-2022, 06:05 PM
Also, coaching staff is usually a bunch of old overweight guys with years of health issues and injuries from decades of baseball.

PawPawMaxwell
07-19-2022, 12:11 PM
Gonna be a very slow week re: Braves. So a new game in mind around the Soto situation/speculation and dreams. Lots of suggested trade packages from posters and bloggers alike so just to roll along.
What are your suggestions/words for AA/or just tell me to go away. What kind of package would it take for Acuna to be moved. Consider his contract. Consider Braves needs. Consider prospect situation.
Consider anything you choose but what and who would be a return considered acceptable to Braves fans?

clvclv
07-19-2022, 12:52 PM
Gonna be a very slow week re: Braves. So a new game in mind around the Soto situation/speculation and dreams. Lots of suggested trade packages from posters and bloggers alike so just to roll along.
What are your suggestions/words for AA/or just tell me to go away. What kind of package would it take for Acuna to be moved. Consider his contract. Consider Braves needs. Consider prospect situation.
Consider anything you choose but what and who would be a return considered acceptable to Braves fans?

Any discussions surrounding the two are as apples and oranges as they come, and simply a waste of time.

PawPawMaxwell
07-19-2022, 02:59 PM
Any discussions surrounding the two are as apples and oranges as they come, and simply a waste of time.

Pretty much what kind of response I would expect from you and the fact is that everything you put up must waste time since you have nothing to sell and hours to waste..

Heyward
07-19-2022, 04:11 PM
Acuna is on a great contract for 6 more years including two team options for 17 mil the final 2 years. No one in baseball has a package to trade for him that would feel win/win. cv is right here.

clvclv
07-19-2022, 06:14 PM
Pretty much what kind of response I would expect from you and the fact is that everything you put up must waste time since you have nothing to sell and hours to waste..

Unfortunately whoever told you "there are no stupid questions" lied.

Hudson2
07-22-2022, 12:51 PM
Didn’t realize Michael Fulmer had been that good since moving to the bullpen. Hopefully he’s a target for us.

Enscheff
07-22-2022, 06:18 PM
Didn’t realize Michael Fulmer had been that good since moving to the bullpen. Hopefully he’s a target for us.

The tigers have proven very adept at holding pitchers too long on non contending rosters and tanking their trade value.

If you want an example of a poor FO, look there

Heyward
07-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Ken said it will take 4 to 5 top young players (combo of prospects and major leaguers with low service time) to potentially land Soto. Hefty price, but not unreasonable.

jpx7
07-23-2022, 04:07 PM
Ken said it will take 4 to 5 top young players (combo of prospects and major leaguers with low service time) to potentially land Soto. Hefty price, but not unreasonable.

How about Owen Murphy, JR Ritchie, Cole Phillips, and Adam Maier?

Enscheff
07-23-2022, 04:16 PM

Seems unreasonable to me. Soto already has 2.5 years of control, so why trade him for anyone with less than 6 years of control? The Nats should be targeting the best impact prospect they can get, plus 2-3 other Top 100 guys, plus even more. They should be turning Soto into the next core for 2025-2030, not guys who can contribute to losing seasons in 2023/2024.

I’m looking forward to the Nats screwing up this trade and setting their rebuild back 5 years.

CrimsonCowboy
07-23-2022, 10:57 PM
Seeing the Astros are being connected to Josh Bell.

CrimsonCowboy
07-23-2022, 11:50 PM

zbhargrove
07-24-2022, 07:19 AM

This is definitely a troll account... created in July 2022 with 6 followers.

thewupk
07-24-2022, 08:53 AM
Braves may be needing a Duvall replacement. Sad.

clvclv
07-24-2022, 06:51 PM
Braves may be needing a Duvall replacement. Sad.

Wonder if Grossman should be added to Alex' potential trade list - switch hitter that can handle both corners and pure rental having a tough year, and the Tigers would probably love to get anything for him to save a little money at this point.

Sounds familiar, no?

Adding him and Fulmer probably wouldn't hurt much.

msstate7
07-24-2022, 07:02 PM
Wonder if Grossman should be added to Alex' potential trade list - switch hitter that can handle both corners and pure rental having a tough year, and the Tigers would probably love to get anything for him to save a little money at this point.

Sounds familiar, no?

Adding him and Fulmer probably wouldn't hurt much.

Grossman has been pretty gross this year

clvclv
07-24-2022, 07:16 PM
Grossman has been pretty gross this year

He has - just as Soler, Joc, and Duvall were last summer before Alex traded for them.

If he can get Grossman and Fulmer for the same types of prospects he hit the lottery with last year, he doesn't lose anything if he tries to catch lightning in a bottle again.

msstate7
07-24-2022, 07:25 PM
He has - just as Soler, Joc, and Duvall were last summer before Alex traded for them.

If he can get Grossman and Fulmer for the same types of prospects he hit the lottery with last year, he doesn't lose anything if he tries to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Duvall wasn't
Don't know about joc
Soler had an enormous gap between wOBA and xwoba when he was acquired

Grossman doesn't look to be unlucky according to stats

clvclv
07-24-2022, 07:32 PM
Duvall wasn't
Don't know about joc
Soler had an enormous gap between wOBA and xwoba when he was acquired

Grossman doesn't look to be unlucky according to stats

You're missing the point.

The Tigers are the type of team that would probably take somebody like Jenista who has options just to get Grossman's money off their books. He's not going to be added to the Braves' 40-Man this winter, so he's probably not going to be in the organization anyway. He fits the same mold Jackson did when he was shipped off for Duvall - somebody that wasn't going to be kept.

Jenista and Davidson probably gets you Grossman and Fulmer - how the *ell do you lose if that's what it takes? If Grossman doesn't snap out of it, you DFA him or leave him off the playoff roster.

Garmel
07-24-2022, 07:35 PM
I'd love to see us get Ian Happ and Tyler Mahle. Yeah, I'd like to get more elite players if we can but I'm trying to be realistic. With Strider's possible shakiness as a starter and Ian having a rough go I think we need to get another starter. Perhaps Muller is ready?

msstate7
07-24-2022, 07:37 PM

The Tigers are the type of team that would probably take somebody like Jenista who has options just to get Grossman's money off their books. He's not going to be added to the Braves' 40-Man this winter, so he's probably not going to be in the organization anyway. He fits the same mold Jackson did when he was shipped off for Duvall - somebody that wasn't going to be kept.

Jenista and Davidson probably gets you Grossman and Fulmer - how the *ell do you lose if that's what it takes? If Grossman doesn't snap out of it, you DFA him or leave him off the playoff roster.

I have no problem with throwing junk for him. If he's the only addition though, we need need him to be good. Are his splits good? I didn't look at that

clvclv
07-24-2022, 07:41 PM
I'd love to see us get Ian Happ and Tyler Mahle. Yeah, I'd like to get more elite players if we can but I'm trying to be realistic. With Strider's possible shakiness as a starter and Ian having a rough go I think we need to get another starter. Perhaps Muller is ready?

Happ probably "should" be the main target, but the asking prices on him and Mahle are probably higher than Alex will want to pay.

It's a gamble, sure, but with Fried, Morton, and Wright locked in for the first three games of any series it's probably a safer gamble that you can get Strider through a lineup twice in a game four than it is that you're going to get production from LF with the current roster. Count me in the camp with those looking to upgrade LF over anything else.

Assuming Grissom is off-limits in talks, I'm not sure Alex has the pieces to get guys like Happ and Mahle - especially since they're controlled beyond this season.

Hudson2
07-24-2022, 07:48 PM
LF has to be the main focus now with a reliever right behind it. With us being a legit WS contender AA can over pay a little if he has too. But Happ and Drury are 2 big targets imo.

zbhargrove
07-24-2022, 07:56 PM

Duvall was very good when we traded for him. Soler and Joc had the pedigree. Grossman was never supposed to be good and more than likely has actually turned into a pumpkin at this point. No thanks.

zbhargrove
07-24-2022, 07:57 PM

Who cares if we can get him for cheap when he sucks? His underlying stats say he just sucks man

Russ2dollas
07-24-2022, 07:58 PM
Lf and 2b are replacement level at best. 5th starter, Anderson , as well. Need a plan.

zbhargrove
07-24-2022, 07:58 PM

I like getting these 2

thewupk
07-24-2022, 08:06 PM
Lf and 2b are replacement level at best. 5th starter, Anderson , as well. Need a plan.

I'm hard on Anderson but as a 5th starter he's fine. He won't see the rotation in the playoffs

2b I guess depends on ozzies time frame. I'm not sure when he'd expected to return but I don't want to waste resources on 2b if it's clear ozzie will be back for the stretch run

LF was an area of upgrade from the left side and now it's clear priority number one with duvall out.

Second area of concern is more pen hemp because you can never have enough.

Get the best OF you can and some pen help and go make another playoff run.

Russ2dollas
07-24-2022, 08:11 PM
I'm hard on Anderson but as a 5th starter he's fine. He won't see the rotation in the playoffs

2b I guess depends on ozzies time frame. I'm not sure when he'd expected to return but I don't want to waste resources on 2b if it's clear ozzie will be back for the stretch run

LF was an area of upgrade from the left side and now it's clear priority number one with duvall out.

Second area of concern is more pen hemp because you can never have enough.

Get the best OF you can and some pen help and go make another playoff run.
Seems reasonable. They know how to best handle Anderson. I wouldn’t mind giving muller a start if he’s not traded. Maybe Anderson needs to skip a start. Guy has been really helpful for a couple of runs.

Braves know the best how Ozzie is progressing. Still after deadline you can’t add outside the org. So unless you think shewmake or Grissom is capable to help I’d look to upgrade . Still a chance dansby or Riley needs a couple of weeks.

Lf and dh…forgot dh could use an upgrade. We don’t have much to trade. Can aa strike gold two deadlines in a row?

Carp
07-25-2022, 05:01 AM
Hunter Dozier is someone to keep an eye on as well. Decent bat. Plays a lot of positions but none of them particularly well. Would be super cheap.

CrimsonCowboy
07-25-2022, 11:51 PM
FWIW

bravesnumberone
07-26-2022, 06:13 AM
I don’t hate it, but we need more than just Joc. This also doesn’t make too much sense unless Rosario is in the deal.

clvclv
07-26-2022, 06:25 AM
FWIW

FWIW this is where Shanks gets his "inside information" - LOL.

Tweeted that the Cards "are prepared to offer one of the biggest trade packages in MLB history" for Soto yesterday AFTER tweeting that "they seem to be slowly backing out of the Soto sweepstakes" on the 23rd. Which is it??? He also tweeted that "if everything aligns perfectly (rare) Juan Soto will be traded tomorrow" on the 21st.

Would be nice if he was right, but it's probably fair to be skeptical of ANY Twitter account that doesn't even have a person's name associated with it - this is probably where Gottleib found out Close wasn't telling Freeman about offers.

Hudson2
07-26-2022, 07:45 AM
Pederson and Drury would help out a lot. Need to get a good bullpen arm from somewhere.

Tapate50
07-26-2022, 07:47 AM
Drury should have been a brave this last off-season

striker42
07-26-2022, 07:49 AM
Not sure why San Fran would be selling. They're 2.5 back in the Wild Card.

Tapate50
07-26-2022, 08:19 AM
Quintana should be a decent DL pickup for someone. Not owed much at all. Throwing his change 30% has helped.

Hudson2
07-26-2022, 08:34 AM
Fulmer would be a target for the BP. Hard throwing righty and has been better since going to the bullpen.

zbhargrove
07-26-2022, 10:08 AM
FWIW

Dude you gotta stop falling for these troll accounts

CJ9
07-26-2022, 11:37 AM
Fangraphs did a story where they did a bunch of mock trades for the deadline. Their Braves trade was Benintendi to Atlanta for Tarnok, Brandol Mezquita and Tyler Collins.

zbhargrove
07-26-2022, 01:39 PM
Fangraphs did a story where they did a bunch of mock trades for the deadline. Their Braves trade was Benintendi to Atlanta for Tarnok, Brandol Mezquita and Tyler Collins.

Yikes that’s a heavy package for a really mediocre player

Tapate50
07-26-2022, 01:43 PM

Kinda my thought

chop2chip
07-26-2022, 02:38 PM
Hypothetical that would never happen.

Detroit made an enormous mistake giving Baez that contract, and he’s been dreadful this year, but was really good last year. Let’s say Detroit was willing to eat $50-60m of his remaining contract, would there be interest in trading for Baez to play 2B rest of season and move him back to SS next year to replace Dansby? For the rest of the season, you have a good replacement for Ozzie and someone who would be able to slide to LF when Ozzie is healthy. The hope is that a change of scenery and being on a competitive team revives Baez.

You obviously can’t make this trade and risk pissing off Dansby and other Braves players. But something like that could be an interesting way of addressing multiple problems without a huge prospect cost.

jpx7
07-26-2022, 02:51 PM

It's the addition of Collins that really tips it. I think Tarnok and Mezquita is the sort of package that might entice Moore, though.

clvclv
07-26-2022, 03:09 PM
Hypothetical that would never happen.

Detroit made an enormous mistake giving Baez that contract, and he’s been dreadful this year, but was really good last year. Let’s say Detroit was willing to eat $50-60m of his remaining contract, would there be interest in trading for Baez to play 2B rest of season and move him back to SS next year to replace Dansby? For the rest of the season, you have a good replacement for Ozzie and someone who would be able to slide to LF when Ozzie is healthy. The hope is that a change of scenery and being on a competitive team revives Baez.

You obviously can’t make this trade and risk pissing off Dansby and other Braves players. But something like that could be an interesting way of addressing multiple problems without a huge prospect cost.

Wouldn't be interested in Baez even if they ate enough money to make him cost what Dansby costs now.

Hudson2
07-26-2022, 03:19 PM
Detroit is saying they’re willing to trade Skubal and everybody else.

jpx7
07-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Given that it's looking as if JD Martinez is going to be on the market (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/red-sox-trade-rumors-j-d-martinez.html), that's a bat I wouldn't mind adding to the team, even if the defensive fit would be sub-optimal.

UNCBlue012
07-26-2022, 03:26 PM
Marlins also willing to trade everyone but Alcantara. Yeah, AA will find a way to make upgrades.

chop2chip
07-26-2022, 03:42 PM
Marlins also willing to trade everyone but Alcantara. Yeah, AA will find a way to make upgrades.

I like Joey Wendle. He’s a floor raiser at a few position where we have some exposure and would slide nicely into a super utility role once everyone is healthy.

Nerfherders
07-26-2022, 04:05 PM
Bring back Soler!

chop2chip
07-26-2022, 04:20 PM
Bring back Soler!

I love Jorge, but he’s basically an awful fit as long as Ozuna is on the roster. That contract isn’t much better than Rosario’s either.

Mad Dog Murph
07-26-2022, 04:51 PM
Soler has been awful. No thanks. Someone opened up that bottle that lightning was in and it’s gone.

bravesnumberone
07-26-2022, 05:31 PM
Happ and Drury seem like the screamingly obvious moves. One or the other.

atl717
07-26-2022, 05:37 PM
Happ is a lot better. Get him. Drury is a fluke.

Slippyjms
07-26-2022, 06:08 PM
Given that it's looking as if JD Martinez is going to be on the market (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/red-sox-trade-rumors-j-d-martinez.html), that's a bat I wouldn't mind adding to the team, even if the defensive fit would be sub-optimal.

Out of the box idea. Get Bogaerts put him at 3rd and move Riley to LF.

zbhargrove
07-26-2022, 06:48 PM

Trade for Freddie to play 3rd... move Austin to LF lol

But seriously... that's an interesting idea. I'd worry about getting Austin out of his most comfortable position when he's dominating the league though

jgriff3029
07-26-2022, 06:53 PM
Play Boggarts at 2nd until Ozzie is back and then use Boggarts at 2nd, 3rd, SS and DH to keep the infield fresh. Would means Ozuna plays LF most days but it's an idea.

bravesnumberone
07-26-2022, 06:57 PM
He’s not being mentioned as much this year but what about Bryan Reynolds? Too steep a price to pay?

chop2chip
07-26-2022, 07:23 PM

I’m not moving a top 3 MVP out of position mid season. I’d rather just move Bogaerts to LF in that scenario

Hudson2
07-26-2022, 07:33 PM
I’m not moving a top 3 MVP out of position mid season. I’d rather just move Bogaerts to LF in that scenario

Xander probably needs to be moved anyways bc he’s not a good defensive SS.

Enscheff
07-26-2022, 09:19 PM

Benintendi is projected for 1 win at a cost of $2.8M. Accounting for the “playoff run premium”, that puts his value at roughly $10M-$15M.

Tarnok is a 40, Mez is a 40, and Collins is a 35+. That’s a total of less than $5M in prospect capital. Seems like a good value to me, even if the names aren’t exact.

The trade the intrigues me is Happ for Kelley (40+), Colas (45) and Vera (40+). AA can afford a package like that.

Hudson2
07-26-2022, 09:32 PM
Benintendi is projected for 1 win at a cost of $2.8M. Accounting for the “playoff run premium”, that puts his value at roughly $10M-$15M.

Tarnok is a 40, Mez is a 40, and Collins is a 35+. That’s a total of less than $5M in prospect capital. Seems like a good value to me, even if the names aren’t exact.

The trade the intrigues me is Happ for Kelley (40+), Colas (45) and Vera (40+). AA can afford a package like that.

Happ is who I hope we end up getting. Maybe we can get a reliever like Givens back too.

Hudson2
07-26-2022, 09:41 PM
We’d have Happ for next year to with him having a year of arb left so that’ll help cross something off AA’s list for next year too.

clvclv
07-27-2022, 08:08 AM

The question I have is "does he have any interest in paying it?".

If he's including Snitker in the discussions, you just know he's saying "we don't need him - Eddie's starting to hit and Ozuna had three hits the night before last". That's just who he is.

We don't know, but it's probably fair to assume that payroll may get another slight bump next season considering attendance and the success of The Battery. If that's the case (and the price), I don't see how Alex can afford NOT TO pull the trigger on a Happ deal - he could justify the potential increase in what Happ will make next year over what Duvall got this year (if there even is a difference) by explaining how much more balanced it makes the entire roster. Happ takes care of any need for a platoon in LF, Rosario and Ozuna can form some sort of a platoon at DH (with Ozuna receiving the majority of PAs), and you'd have your LF platoon in the event Happ misses any time. If you need to pinch pennies to make the money work you can DFA Heredia this winter and re-sign him for the minimum if you choose to carry a mascot - you could just let him go if you choose since Happ and Acuna can handle CF for a short period if needed.

Hudson2
07-27-2022, 08:18 AM
I like Benintendi but Happ is the clear choice for a more impact player. I’ve seen us connected to Castillo a lot the last few days. No clue what he’d cost but it’d take the rest of our farm system for sure.

NYCBrave
07-27-2022, 08:32 AM
I like Benintendi but Happ is the clear choice for a more impact player. I’ve seen us connected to Castillo a lot the last few days. No clue what he’d cost but it’d take the rest of our farm system for sure.

I just get the impression these guys we want are also in demand from all or the other playoff contenders. Not sure we will be able to or even willing to offer a better package for any of them.

Oklahomabrave
07-27-2022, 08:51 AM

Our biggest asset might be available payroll. What would he cost if we just ate the Moose contract?

Hudson2
07-27-2022, 09:10 AM
Our biggest asset might be available payroll. What would he cost if we just ate the Moose contract?

Moose will cost 18 million next year with a 4 million buyout in 2024 so I’d steer clear of that. Castillo will be in high demand and we’ll be outbid no doubt. But what I would do is offer Anderson up as the headliner if the Reds were interested. They’d have Anderson for 3 more years after this one. We’d have to add somebody with him but I’d do it to get Castillo for next year. Not sure if the Reds would be interested though.

NYCBrave
07-27-2022, 09:48 AM
Moose will cost 18 million next year with a 4 million buyout in 2024 so I’d steer clear of that. Castillo will be in high demand and we’ll be outbid no doubt. But what I would do is offer Anderson up as the headliner if the Reds were interested. They’d have Anderson for 3 more years after this one. We’d have to add somebody with him but I’d do it to get Castillo for next year. Not sure if the Reds would be interested though.

Just a note about Anderson. The Braves actually have 4 more years of control after this one. Since he came up mid year 2020 it wasn't a full year of service time.

Enscheff
07-27-2022, 09:48 AM

I agree with this sentiment, if not the targets.

AA should have nearly unlimited money to spend at the deadline, and it is undoubtedly his biggest asset to acquire upgrades. Adding $20M to the 2022 payroll wouldn’t shock me at all.

Russ2dollas
07-27-2022, 01:39 PM

AA should have nearly unlimited money to spend at the deadline, and it is undoubtedly his biggest asset to acquire upgrades. Adding $20M to the 2022 payroll wouldn’t shock me at all.

I am curious where this idea comes from?

I agree the team has printed money with ws and attendance.

I am not aware that the payroll flexibility is that huge.

I’d love to see us take on a bad deal to get an impact guy over using the little extra talent we have in minors

msstate7
07-27-2022, 01:42 PM
Lh reliever is a must. Will and matzek couldn't keep Gwinnett in a pennant race

Hudson2
07-27-2022, 02:26 PM
We probably need 2 bp arms, LF, and starter if we can get an impact guy.

CyYoung31
07-27-2022, 02:53 PM
We probably need 2 bp arms, LF, and starter if we can get an impact guy.

This is interesting. Haven’t we been told all year that there’s no need to acquire another starter or reliever since we we were loaded on both fronts?

Hudson2
07-27-2022, 02:55 PM
This is interesting. Haven’t we been told all year that there’s no need to acquire another starter or reliever since we we were loaded on both fronts?

Yep and of course they were wrong.

msstate7
07-27-2022, 03:08 PM
Lord knows I'll go full speed ahead using a SSS, but braves are #1 in FIP in mlb. If you trust this stat, perhaps things aren't as bad as we making it right now

clvclv
07-27-2022, 03:19 PM

Interesting thought along those lines in the event he is going to get a bump next season as I mentioned earlier.

I wonder if agreeing to take on Heyward's remaining salary could be Alex' ace in the hole in a potential Happ/Givens deal? It would probably require some shuffling next season, but could arguably be worth it. Just ballparking things here, so these numbers wouldn't be exact.

1.) Happ will make roughly what Duvall did in his last year of arbitration, so let's call that a wash.
2.) Yates takes Smith's spot - $7 million savings.
3.) Strider gets converted to the pen and becomes your Closer, taking Jansen's spot - $15 million savings.
4.) Givens replaces Chavez and Stephens and you have Cruz/Jay Jackson/Ynoa take the open spot - costs ~ $2 million.

That almost covers Heyward's 2023 salary - he replaces Heredia as the defensive replacement/mascot. Would put payroll at around $165 million PLUS whatever Fried/Riley/Minter/Matzek get for arbitration raises with Anderson/Soroka/Muller/Elder/Davidson/Shuster competing for the #4/#5 spots in the rotation.

FG has current estimated payroll at ~ $185 million - IF there's room to bump that to ~$195 million in 2023, that kind of deal would actually be possible.

zbhargrove
07-27-2022, 03:25 PM
Interesting thought along those lines in the event he is going to get a bump next season as I mentioned earlier.

I wonder if agreeing to take on Heyward's remaining salary could be Alex' ace in the hole in a potential Happ/Givens deal? It would probably require some shuffling next season, but could arguably be worth it. Just ballparking things here, so these numbers wouldn't be exact.

1.) Happ will make roughly what Duvall did in his last year of arbitration, so let's call that a wash.
2.) Yates takes Smith's spot - $7 million savings.
3.) Strider gets converted to the pen and becomes your Closer, taking Jansen's spot - $15 million savings.
4.) Givens replaces Chavez and Stephens and you have Cruz/Jay Jackson/Ynoa take the open spot - costs ~ $2 million.

That almost covers Heyward's 2023 salary - he replaces Heredia as the defensive replacement/mascot. Would put payroll at around $165 million PLUS whatever Fried/Riley/Minter/Matzek get for arbitration raises with Anderson/Soroka/Muller/Elder/Davidson/Shuster competing for the #4/#5 spots in the rotation.

FG has current estimated payroll at ~ $185 million - IF there's room to bump that to ~$195 million in 2023, that kind of deal would actually be possible.

Stephens and Chavez are not the problems in the pen, not sure why you keep trying to dump them... they are both cheap and effective... there's no reason to take them out of the pen. Replace the guys who suck... $2 million is not going to keep us from acquiring a big contract lol

chop2chip
07-27-2022, 03:35 PM
Lord knows I'll go full speed ahead using a SSS, but braves are #1 in FIP in mlb. If you trust this stat, perhaps things aren't as bad as we making it right now

Exactly. Braves are really good. Every contender has minor holes they are looking to fill right now.

Carp
07-27-2022, 04:04 PM
While not a sexy move, I would inquire on Odorizzi from Houston to help stabilize the rotation. They'd probably give him away. FIP of 3.87 suggests he may be getting a bit unlucky. Either way, his 4.25 ERA is a damn sight better than Ian's 5+ ERA.

I think the most logical solution offensively is Joey Wendle. Shouldn't cost a ton, gets on base pretty well, and a has a lot of position flexibility. Move him to LF once Ozzie is back.

We don't have a lot of holes and our system is paper thin. My mindset would essentially be the same as last year. Find some cheap role players and roll with what we got.

Enscheff
07-27-2022, 04:07 PM
I am curious where this idea comes from?

I agree the team has printed money with ws and attendance.

I am not aware that the payroll flexibility is that huge.

I’d love to see us take on a bad deal to get an impact guy over using the little extra talent we have in minors

Mainly from the fact that AA seemed to have much more money to play with than he used before the season, and the Braves are drawing monster attendance that is likely beating preseason projections.

50PoundHead
07-27-2022, 06:01 PM
I think Happ is the best fit, but this is the first season where he's been >.800 OPS versus LHP. Happ provides some positional flexibility and he's got another year of control. With Duvall going down, it would seem that a RHH would be the target, but is there one out there? Too bad Demeritte was a mirage.

As for additional pitching, I think the bullpen is alright (especially if Yates returns and is somewhat effective). Another starter would be good, but outside of the obvious (and likely expensive) upgrades, I don't know if what is out there is truly better than what we have right now.

Should be interesting. We don't have a lot of trade chips given the lack of quality depth in the minors, but maybe there are some of our mid-tier guys that could net some help (like last year). I wouldn't be surprised if Anthopoulos targets guys with control beyond this year (like Happ).

zbhargrove
07-27-2022, 06:15 PM
I could see Muller and Grissom as the headliners for a Castillo deal... I would think some clubs could value Grissom closer to a 50 FV prospect at this point, Muller has really increased his value quite a bit this year IMO but I'm unsure how his broken non pitching hand changes things up.

CrimsonCowboy
07-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Um, this Pirates writer with a proposal………..

Yeesh

zbhargrove
07-27-2022, 06:37 PM

Yeesh

lol... how dumb.

MadduxFanII
07-27-2022, 06:41 PM
I like Happ and I'm totally on board with trading for him, but I do think it's worth pointing out that he's basically just an outfielder at this point. He hasn't played meaningful games in the infield since 2019 -- he hasn't played any infield at all this year, just 10 games last year and only two in 2020 (both at first). He probably still has the theoretical ability to handle some games there, but I don't think you can count on him as a super-utility guy.

Also, his B-Ref fielding numbers for the outfield are pretty ugly, if not Ozuna-esque.

Hudson2
07-27-2022, 07:05 PM
Happ and Drury I wouldn’t think would cost a ton. If we could get em both somehow along with a couple bp arms then we would be in pretty good shape.

50PoundHead
07-27-2022, 07:16 PM

Yeesh

The Pirates won't get a trade package anywhere near that, but it's important to remember that Reynolds is under team control until the 2025-2026 off-season. That will likely drive up acquisition cost.

Hudson2
07-27-2022, 07:28 PM
Yeah that Pirates proposal would probably get just about anybody

zbhargrove
07-27-2022, 09:38 PM
Well it won't be Benintendi... sounds like the Yankees just got him.

CrimsonCowboy
07-27-2022, 09:41 PM

Yep

Hudson2
07-27-2022, 09:43 PM
Well there is one name of a few that makes sense for us.

jsebe10
07-27-2022, 09:56 PM

Now he’s gotta shave that kick ass beard he has going on KC…such a dumb rule the Yanks have.