PDA

View Full Version : Coca Cola backlash after Superbowl AD

The Chosen One
02-03-2014, 12:15 PM
http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/75447787843/speak-english-racist-revolt-as-coca-cola-airs

So embarrassed, disgusted, and every other gross feeling after reading those tweets. Absolutely ashamed to know I live in the same country as these people.

It's sad you know. I was watching the game with my dad, and he was walking out of the room to take a bathroom break and all of the sudden a girl was singing the song in tagalog for a line. He stopped and ran back and was excited like wow!

My dad came here from the Philippines in '75, and in addition to having a small Filipino flag on his dashboard, he has Red White and Blue USA on his truck. After 9/11 he put like 100 "Power of Pride" stickers on his cars and his children's. He told me the struggle to come here, how he prayed night and day that one day he could be able to come here. When he came here, the first thing he did was kiss the ground and thank god for being able to live here. He said he'd never move back to the Philippines even after being homesick and that America was his home. He'd paid his taxes worked for years. He's exactly what the American Dream is, albeit excluding the mansion and luxury cars.

When he saw that commercial, he was happy for two reasons. To hear his first language, and to know that an American company like Coca Cola expressed how he felt about being a proud American immigrant.

gtcway
02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
It's sad the way lots of Americans act, but unless Coca Cola was trying to make some sort of statement, who couldn't see this coming?

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 12:24 PM
2 quick points.

1. Coca-Cola is giant multi-national corporation, they have global interests and the SUperbowl is aired in several areas.

2. The people sadly don't know that America doesn't have a national language. It's a fact.

Julio3000
02-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Let me guess—a healthy proportion of the tweets transmitting the "Speak English in 'Murica!" message were full of poor grammar and spelling. I mean, even by Twitter standards.

Dalyn
02-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Let me guess—a healthy proportion of the tweets transmitting the "Speak English in 'Murica!" message were full of poor grammar and spelling. I mean, even by Twitter standards.

I was about to point out the terrible grammar and spelling. :facepalm:

Dalyn
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piJNQVu0yp4#t=12

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Would have gone over so much better if they had filipinos, foreigners, etc. sing the song in English. Coke was just asking for backlash

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Would have gone over so much better if they had filipinos, foreigners, etc. sing the song in English. Coke was just asking for backlash

God forbid someone doesn't consider the ignorance of the American twats.

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
God forbid someone doesn't consider the ignorance of the American twats.

In other words, the people that consume their product. Not 100% of Coke drinkers are whiny liberals.

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
In other words, the people that consume their product. Not 100% of Coke drinkers are whiny liberals.

So by your logic, all ignorant people aren't liberals, so all ignorant people are conservative got it.

jpx7
02-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Hawk
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
My country ... :facepalm:

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Stole this from reddit

http://i.imgur.com/okJNSlU.gif

drewdat
02-03-2014, 06:54 PM
I bet they really just called Americans stupid in all those other languages. Joke's on you guys.

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Stole this from reddit

http://i.imgur.com/okJNSlU.gif

LOL. Thinking America the Beautiful should be sung in English means you are bigoted, for sure.

yeezus
02-03-2014, 08:27 PM
LOL. Thinking America the Beautiful should be sung in English means you are bigoted, for sure.

The commercial was not presenting the argument that America the Beautiful should now be sung in different languages. It was making a point about the diversity of the USA, which Coke felt was more effective using varying languages as opposed to accents, as someone suggested.
I don't see why people could possible complain about that, it's not shoving anything down anyone's throat and was a way of celebrating diversity - something considered a good thing, by some.

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 08:27 PM

For starters, yes it is bigoted by definition.

But ummm, did you not read many of the responses on there?

Such as 'That coke commercial sucked, Mexicans, terrorists, Jews, and ******s are not "American"'

or

"You can't sing this song if you don't speak English"

or

"Nice to see that coke likes to sing an AMERICAN song in the terrorist's language. Way to go coke. You can leave America"

or

"It's called English, your in America...not 3542 different languages"

That one is my favorite one of all, aside from the horrific grammar, it seems to imply that 3542 different languages is a place. So yay for failing English.

I'm tired of quoting these buffoons, but basically these people are implying that if you don't speak English you're not American. Ignoring that there is no national language of America, it's akin to saying if you're not white you're not American, as it's posing the majority as the law.

We're lucky to be one of the greatest melting pots of a country ever. Would you want to live in an America without diversity? Cause these people do.

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Saying English isn't the "official" language is stupid. 80% of Americans speak English and 95% speak it. All bills entered are in English. I could go on.

English is the language of the U.S. Fortunately, it is a melting pot and is home to many ethnicity.......a large majority of them speaking English.

As I said, singing America the Beautiful in English with different ethnicity would have gone over so much better. They just created backlash for themselves. Maybe they wanted some publicity.

Dalyn
02-03-2014, 08:49 PM
• The United States has no official language. In fact, under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, it can be considered discriminatory to fail to provide access to government services or information to individuals with limited English proficiency.

• 60 million people in the U.S. speak a language other than English at home.This means that for every 5 people watching the Superbowl, at least 1 was probably speaking a language that wasn't English. In fact, many viewers were watching in another language too, thanks to the first-ever Spanish-language Superbowl broadcast.

• There are 381 languages that are commonly spoken within U.S. borders.The most popular are Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Arabic, per the latest American Community Survey data.

• America was multilingual long before English was spoken here. Of the 381 languages spoken here today, 169 of these languages are Native North American languages. While the ancestral languages of American natives are often forgotten, there are still 372,000 people speaking them today.

• Many of the founding fathers were multilingual. John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and John Quincy Adams all spoke multiple languages. In fact, of 44 American presidents, at least half could speak or write a language other than English.

• Nearly everyone is the product of immigration. With the exception of those who can claim Native American ancestry, everyone else in America is the product of foreigners.

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nataly-kelly/cocacola-superbowl-ad_b_4714935.html)

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Speaking of not speaking English. Boom roasted.

And English isn't the official language of the US. That's a fact you can choose to ignore that or not.

People freaking out over America the Beautiful being sung in different languages is moronic and I would put good odds that everyone who's upset by that is bigoted in one way or another towards a minority.

Just because i'm bored and I'm enjoying your attempt to spin this (methinks thou doth protest too much) do you think these same folks would be this upset if they found out that America the Beautiful was composed by a lesbian?

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 08:54 PM
1 in 5 don't call English there first language. 9.5 out of 10 speak it.

All of those languages other than Spanish are spoken by less than 1% of the population.

27 states have made English their official language.

What language was the Constitution written in?

I am Native American so I am not from foreign ancestry. Get off my land.

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Speaking of not speaking English. Boom roasted.

And English isn't the official language of the US. That's a fact you can choose to ignore that or not.

People freaking out over America the Beautiful being sung in different languages is moronic and I would put good odds that everyone who's upset by that is bigoted in one way or another towards a minority.

Just because i'm bored and I'm enjoying your attempt to spin this (methinks thou doth protest too much) do you think these same folks would be this upset if they found out that America the Beautiful was composed by a lesbian?

LOL off that attempt. The composer was named Samuel Ward. A man.

Dalyn
02-03-2014, 08:58 PM

I imagine he meant the lyrics.

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Lyrics were written by, if you must be anal retentive. Ward composed O mother dear, Jerusalem, not the words to America the Beautiful which is what people are freaking out about.

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 09:01 PM
I imagine he meant the lyrics.

You mean writer?

It's funny that whiny liberals like Zito that have no job believer pride in your country is related to bigotry toward homosexuality.

Dalyn
02-03-2014, 09:05 PM
You mean writer?

It's funny that whiny liberals like Zito that have no job believer pride in your country is related to bigotry toward homosexuality.

He meant writer. I was trying to be nice. You mean who and believe, right?

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
You mean writer?

I imagine you can find a correlation line between racism and homophobia. In a cursory google, there is a correlation between low IQ joining with homophobia, racism, and a desire for an authoritarian state where things are dealt in absolutes (with a leaning towards being socially conservative if you didn't catch my drift)

gilesfan
He meant writer. I was trying to be nice. You mean who and believe, right?

Yes. Typing on phone with fat fingers is fun.

Dalyn

All of those languages other than Spanish are spoken by less than 1% of the population.

You mean their?

gilesfan
02-03-2014, 09:07 PM
You mean their?

yep.

GMAJAH25
02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
"Native American" is a joke

Indians are more American than me....but I am not more American than little Juan Jr...

Good to know.

The Chosen One
02-03-2014, 09:52 PM

This just means we're becoming lazier and less inviting of other cultures.

Trust me, I know plenty of first-gen kids who have immigrant parents that have become so "Americanized", they don't even want to try to speak their parents native language.

My parents encouraged us to learn English first (to get an advantage), and in doing so they didn't teach us Tagalog. Me and my siblings have had to learn through conversation or just figure it out on our own. Not making the same mistake though as my sister has requested my parents speak to their granddaughter in Tagalog so she and my in-law can talk in English. That way my niece will be able to speak both.

The Chosen One
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
We live in a country where Sikh people are looked at as Arab Muslim Terrorists because they wear a garment over their head.

That's all you need to know about the intelligence of the people pointing fingers. The prejudices are sad.

Even more sad is when you correct them that it's not the same thing, the response you get is "They all look the same to me."

Runnin
02-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Do people still drink Coke?

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 11:11 PM

I mainline it.

The Chosen One
02-03-2014, 11:17 PM

With Rum.

Not standalone.

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 11:19 PM
With Rum.

Not standalone.

We call that a Cuba libre in higher society circles.

The Chosen One
02-03-2014, 11:23 PM
We call that a Cuba libre in higher society circles.

What about Crown & Coke?

I can't stand crown straight up, but coke usually balances it out for me.

zitothebrave
02-03-2014, 11:35 PM
What about Crown & Coke?

I can't stand crown straight up, but coke usually balances it out for me.

I haven't drunk crown since ummmmmmm I could buy my own booze, so I don't know.

It's too expensive for cheap booze and not good enough to drink normal.

Zito's basic rules for booze, mix ****ty booze, drink good. Anything that costs between say 20 and 50 bucks per 750 ML is probably not worth it. Only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head for that is Makers and Johnny Black and if on sale Jack Single Barrel. Anything that's not well should be able to be drunk straight, if you don't like the taste of liquor neat or at worst on the rocks, save yourself the money and just drink from the well.

jpx7
02-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Anything that costs between say 20 and 50 bucks per 750 ML is probably not worth it.

False. You just need to educate yourself on what is and what isn't worth falling in that price-range.

For instance: there are really only two rye whiskeys one needs to stock in one's personal bar: Old Overholt (80 proof), which usually retails around $15, and Rittenhouse (100 proof), which usually retails $23-26. But Rittenhouse is very much worth the price.

Another example: most gins worth drinking fall in the $20-$40 range—and gin in probably the spirit with the largest disparity between low-end and middle-road offerings.

Only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head for that is Makers and Johnny Black and if on sale Jack Single Barrel.

False. I obviously need to start a spirits and cocktails thread tomorrow to help you step your game up. A man with your tastes in beer, meats, and mustard really needs to cultivate an appreciation of—not to mention a skill in making—a great Last Word or Yellow Rose of Texas, or proper Gimlet or Aviation, or even just a simple New Standard (1898) Manhattan.

Runnin
02-04-2014, 01:48 AM
I mainline it.
So you aren't diabetic yet?

zitothebrave
02-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Unless you're a hipster or a time traveler from the prohibition era, who cares about gin.

As for your last part.

Gimlet - 4 parts gin 1 part lime (hard to do in ounces since you never want more than a half ounce of lime unless someone requests it heavy)
Yellow Rose of Texas - 4 parts tequila 1 part yellow chartruese (sp?) 4 parts pinapple juice fill with club sode
Aviation - Gin, grenadine, lemon and something I'm forgetting
I'm assuming by New Standard Manhattan you're going with the Rye, bitters, and sweet vermouth. Though I'm not 100% where you're going since there are many different kinds of Manhattans. Personally if I have to pretend to be trendy and drink a mixed drink like that I'd go with a Rob Roy since Scotch is superior to Rye. And Though if I had my way I'd rather have that scotch neat with maybe a few drops of cold water.

I'm not saying I don't own lesser boozes but I don't spend serious money on them. Why would I spend 25 bucks on Jack Daniels or Jim Beam when I'd only shoot it, mix it, or chase it and instead I can get something ****ty for 15 and walk out with 4/6 of aweome beer that I can start the night off with before switching to inferior liquors.

As a smart fellow, I'm sure you know the basic history of the cocktail lets you know that the rise of many of the drinks you listed coincided with prohibition, where you had a switch from whiskey to gin (faster aging) and the reason they added so many ingredients is because the liquor sucks. Now that we live in a world where we don't have to consume inferior booze, I see no reason why I shouldn't just enjoy my quality scotches and bourbons, and what nots.

Hawk
02-04-2014, 05:59 AM
Unless you're a hipster or a time traveler from the prohibition era, who cares about gin.

Cheap drunks.

http://www.hypemeanseverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Hendricks-Gin-21.jpg

zitothebrave
02-04-2014, 08:31 AM
False, cheap drunks can go cheaper than that. My choice

http://www.franzia.com/images/about-house-thumbs2.jpg

The Chosen One
02-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Welp. So much for this thread.

AerchAngel
02-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Welp. So much for this thread.

You can't blame me on this one.

The Chosen One
02-04-2014, 10:31 AM
You can't blame me on this one.

I won't, but if you're volunteering that's another story. :pound:

50PoundHead
02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Until the Coke logo came up, I thought it was going to be an ad for religious tolerance from some non-profit (and if it had been a non-profit, they would have remained so given the ad prices).

I just thought it was an odd ad. I didn't find it offensive.

Cheap drunks. Hmmmmmm. It'll be 30 years dry in April (and it's only been the monthly communion wine since then), but here's my Hall of Fame:

Cream of Kentucky.http://www.whiskyparadise.com/public/4070_Cream_of_Kentucky.jpg

Old Thompson. http://b208032a1d3287a6d3f3-258d94be31bdb406871c37e2eb1690c4.r56.cf1.rackcdn.c om/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/l/old_thompson_nv_1l.png

In the cooler, Colt .45: http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/06/hardees_badthings/image/colt_45.jpg

And good out of the bottle or floating on top of the Colt .45 for quick blitzo pleasure (warning, comes with heavy hangover), Mogen David 20/20:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_J7g7Be4ywNg/TLaDIGxoeBI/AAAAAAAAAGY/Q52Rj_lG308/s320/IMG_0102.JPG

The Chosen One
02-04-2014, 11:16 AM
So 50, did you stop drinking because of prohibition?

jpx7
02-04-2014, 01:16 PM
So as not to derail this thread anymore (though it may be permanently of its tracks), I've responded here (http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146&p=76126#post76126).

weso1
02-04-2014, 03:09 PM
So 50, did you stop drinking because of prohibition?

pwnt of the day?

weso1
02-04-2014, 03:21 PM
I couldn't care less about any of this, but I must say if anything I was offended by the incredible cheesiness of this year's commercials, this one included.

Oklahomahawk
02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1551461_706784352686875_463787010_n.jpg

I don't know for sure if she really said this or not, frankly I was scared to look but thought I'd share it with you guys nevertheless...

Runnin
02-04-2014, 08:54 PM
the famous saying attributed to Texas Governor Miriam Amanda "Ma" Ferguson: "If the King's English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for the children of Texas!" ...... the quote.....a favorite of another former Texas governor, Ann Richards. .... haven't been able to find any firm attributions of the quote to Ferguson.... died in 1961.... humorous variations ...... all the way back to 1881. (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003084.html)

"What's the matter with the good old King James version?" the farmer replied. "That was good enough for St. Paul, and it's good enough for me."

Oklahomahawk
02-04-2014, 09:55 PM
the famous saying attributed to Texas Governor Miriam Amanda "Ma" Ferguson: "If the King's English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for the children of Texas!" ...... the quote.....a favorite of another former Texas governor, Ann Richards. .... haven't been able to find any firm attributions of the quote to Ferguson.... died in 1961.... humorous variations ...... all the way back to 1881. (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003084.html)

"What's the matter with the good old King James version?" the farmer replied. "That was good enough for St. Paul, and it's good enough for me."

So, she the latest in a long line of dumbasses?

Runnin
02-05-2014, 12:57 AM
So, she the latest in a long line of dumbasses?
It's a pretty brilliant line, you have to admit. I guess that's why it's survived so long.

Probably gets used in some variation or another at least once every Sunday, and not only in Texas.

bravesnumberone
02-05-2014, 01:56 AM
I'm offended if any of you think English should be our official language. We declared independence from goddamn England almost 240 years ago.

We speak 'Murican in this here country.

50PoundHead
02-05-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm offended if any of you think English should be our official language. We declared independence from goddamn England almost 240 years ago.

We speak 'Murican in this here country.

This is the t-shirt for you!

Link: http://www.headlineshirts.net/captain-merica-t-shirt.html#.UvJBVPldVqU

NinersSBChamps
02-05-2014, 03:55 PM
So ESL? AMIRITE?

goldfly
02-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Cheap drunks.

http://www.hypemeanseverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Hendricks-Gin-21.jpg

cheap drunks drink the best gin in the world?

that doesn't make sense

goldfly
02-06-2014, 12:22 AM
also

if you have a problem with that commercial

you are the reason this country is falling behind and failing

Hawk
02-06-2014, 04:55 AM
cheap drunks drink the best gin in the world?

that doesn't make sense

Being a cheap drunk doesn't have anything to do with money. :snort: