PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joes in a black neighborhood...

Krgrecw
02-10-2014, 08:46 AM
The Trader Joe’s grocery chain has withdrawn plans to build a store in the heart of a predominantly black neighborhood after a black leadership group fought the move.

The Portland Development Commission was set to give the grocer a large discount on property that had been vacant for years, pricing it at just over $500,000, down from an appraised value of $2.9 million, according to The Oregonian.

The Portland African American Leadership Forum sent a scathing letter in December to city leaders, saying the plan would price residents out of the area and the group“remains opposed to any development in North/Northeast Portland that does not primarily benefit the black community.”

Trader Joe’s would increase displacement of low-income residents and “increase the desirability of the neighborhood,” for “non-oppressed populations,” PAALF wrote.

“[This decision] reflects the city’s overall track record of implementing policies that serve to uproot, displace and disempower our most vulnerable community members,” the letter said.

Trader Joe’s bowed out

So jobs don't benefit the black community? Tax revenues won't benefit the community? Do white homeowners devalue a neighborhood?

zitothebrave
02-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Research gentrification. Or if you want, watch the King of the Hill episode about hipsters.

Krgrecw
02-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Research gentrification. Or if you want, watch the King of the Hill episode about hipsters.

And that makes it acceptable? They'd Rather live in a **** hole

zitothebrave
02-10-2014, 09:34 AM
And that makes it acceptable? They'd Rather live in a **** hole

I think they'd rather live anywhere and not be homeless. Then be considered part of the homeless problem, yada yada yada. People who live in poor neighborhoods don't have the ability to just up and leave like someone with some means does. If my landlord decides to not renew my rent or jack up my rent, I can leave, throw my things in my car, get another deposit and go far away. These people don't have that same luxury. If they can't afford somewhere close, what will they do then?

Tapate50
02-10-2014, 09:46 AM
First thought that came to my mind was .... That's a terrible idea for TJ in the first place.

gilesfan
02-10-2014, 09:48 AM
The Trader Joe’s grocery chain has withdrawn plans to build a store in the heart of a predominantly black neighborhood after a black leadership group fought the move.

The Portland Development Commission was set to give the grocer a large discount on property that had been vacant for years, pricing it at just over $500,000, down from an appraised value of $2.9 million, according to The Oregonian.

The Portland African American Leadership Forum sent a scathing letter in December to city leaders, saying the plan would price residents out of the area and the group“remains opposed to any development in North/Northeast Portland that does not primarily benefit the black community.”

Trader Joe’s would increase displacement of low-income residents and “increase the desirability of the neighborhood,” for “non-oppressed populations,” PAALF wrote.

“[This decision] reflects the city’s overall track record of implementing policies that serve to uproot, displace and disempower our most vulnerable community members,” the letter said.

Trader Joe’s bowed out

So jobs don't benefit the black community? Tax revenues won't benefit the community? Do white homeowners devalue a neighborhood?

Trader Joes has several of these neighborhood centers. For some reason people believe Trader Joe's is an expensive supermarket, when it is not. The company that had planned on building the store was also owned by African Americans.

People in general are just dumb about real estate. Ask someone how much they think there house is worth.

gilesfan
02-10-2014, 09:50 AM
The Left: Grocer Trader Joe's has pulled out of a planned expansion to a poor area in Portland, Ore., after a community organizing group objected. The organizers can now take a bow for the neighborhood's loss.
Hectoring the private chain with racially tinged language, wealthy poverty-racketeers from a foundation-funded group called the Portland African American Leadership Forum claimed that a $2.4 million store on a vacant lot in a run-down part of northeast Portland would gentrify the area, driving up retail prices and driving out the local black community.
"This is a people's movement for African Americans and other communities for self-determination," declared PAALF's Avel Gordly, the Oregonian reported.
All that was missing was the pounding of the tiki sticks, as Tom Wolfe wrote in his scathing 1970 book, "Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers."
Much to their surprise, Trader Joe's didn't want to be the flak catcher. The retailer said goodbye, adding it didn't want to be anyplace where it wasn't welcome.
As Trader Joe's announced its decision, the community organizers were left to hold a press conference on an empty lot (see Google maps for proof) to explain to angry residents that they had nothing against the grocery. They just wanted to bring back jobs as well as blacks to the neighborhood.
As if keeping it a wasteland devoid of investment was the way to draw them back.
"This is not what the neighborhood people want," resident Kymberly Jeka told the Oregonian. Added another disgusted resident, Tran Nghi: "They (the community organizers) don't (even) live here anymore. They don't come to neighborhood cleanups."
Now, thanks to the self-appointed environmental stewards, the vacant lot will remain vacant, housing occupancy will remain depressingly low and the nearest grocery store will still be 12 blocks away.
Like-minded activists have yelled for years about "food deserts" and nobody wanting to invest in bad areas. Then a knight in shining armor comes forward to bring jobs, atmosphere, food choices and development. And all the poverty pimps could do was chase them out.
The one conclusion that can be drawn is that poverty rackets are entrenched and defend their interests. Their No. 1 priority isn't the welfare of the locals; it was, and is, to ensure that poverty persists.
Whether these activists know it or not, Trader Joe's isn't the enemy of the poor in Portland; they are.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/020514-689031-trader-joes-barraged-by-community-organizers-who-conserve-portland-food-desert.htm#ixzz2svmM106R
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

BedellBrave
02-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hawk
02-11-2014, 04:09 AM
Indeed.

Julio3000
02-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yeah, agreed. It feels that way sometimes.

I've spent most of my adult life living or working in transitional neighborhoods, and I think there are legitimate arguments in both directions.

BedellBrave
02-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Yeah, agreed. It feels that way sometimes.

I've spent most of my adult life living or working in transitional neighborhoods, and I think there are legitimate arguments in both directions.

Ghetto or hipsters? Food deserts and no jobs or hipsters and rising costs? Pimps and drug-dealers or skinny jeans & lattes?

I had good friends (a caucasian guy and his African-American wife from LA) working with kids in Reynoldstown in ATL, and there was an invasion of hipsters. And with great alacrity there were no more kids to minister to….

goldfly
02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
First thought that came to my mind was .... That's a terrible idea for TJ in the first place.

thought this was as well

goldfly
02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
the thought of anyone other than a black person doing work or shops in a black neighborhood is absurd