PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Dream Team

zitothebrave
02-15-2014, 11:48 PM
You can create a team, I'm not gonna go too crazy, you can pick every position including DH (or excluding if you choose) and a starter and closer. Your criteria for why.

FOr me in the first I go with

C - Johnny Bench
1B - Gehrig
2B - Hornsby
3B - Mike Schmidt
SS - Honus Wagner
LF - Ruth
CF - Mays
RF - Aaron
DH - Williams

Ok I went pretty much all old school players. Bench was the easiest choice in the group, Pudge is really iMO the only other option. Gehrig I take over many others simply because he was so good. Hornsby was pretty easy as well. Schmidt was in a group with Matthews or with Robinson depending on what you value, Schmidt's bat wins him. SS is really hard. A-Fraud is probably the best, but he's also a fraud. The OF/DH situation was an interesting, debated between Bonds, Ruth, and Williams. Could go Bonds in LF, Ruth at DH, or Ruth LF and Bonds/Williams at DH, Or go Bonds LF, Ruth RF and Williams DH. But I elected to go with Aaron and Mays for RF and CF. Mays was pretty easy, some other great CF but none can hit and field like him. Some hit better only maybe 2 field better. Aaron I went with because of long term domination.

Starting pitcher and closer you have more of a fun debate. I'm going with Randy Johnson and Craig Kimbrel. RJ I went with because he's one of those rare combinations of peak and long term dominance. My biggest consideration against him were Clemens and Walter Johnson. Walter I almost went with because of the ridiculous feats he did. Clemens was super dominant, but I can't get over his general doucheyness about the roid stuff. Oh well guess it's my own prejudices. Kimbrel I took because I've watched him pitch, and though I love Mo's insanity, he's awesome, certainly the best closer, but my homerism takes over. Kimbrel at his best is the most dominating pitcher I've ever watched. And most stats would confirm that.

Anyway would love to hear everyone else's opinion.

Coredor
02-16-2014, 12:18 AM
I like your lineup. I don't know about those pitchers. I think highly of Kimbrel, but he doesn't have the years under his belt to be considered the best. It would have to be Rivera with an honorable mention to Trevor Hoffman for closer. Obviously for closers it would be modern players with the way the game has changed.

As far as starters, Randy Johnson was very good, but he's not the greatest ever. Walter would have a case. If you're going for pure dominance in his prime I'd probably say Koufax, but his lack of longevity could be held against him if you want one guy. I'll give you a rotation. Walter Johnson, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Sandy Koufax, and Cy Young. Of course there are plenty of other guys you could make a good case for there. It's harder than the hitters.

Dalyn
02-16-2014, 02:49 AM
C - Johnny Bench
1B - Pete Rose
2B - Jackie Robinson
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Honus Wagner
LF - Rickey Henderson
CF - Mickey Mantle
RF - Babe Ruth
DH - Ted Williams

P - Greg Maddux
C - Dennis Eckersley

zitothebrave
02-16-2014, 10:20 AM
I like your lineup. I don't know about those pitchers. I think highly of Kimbrel, but he doesn't have the years under his belt to be considered the best. It would have to be Rivera with an honorable mention to Trevor Hoffman for closer. Obviously for closers it would be modern players with the way the game has changed.

As far as starters, Randy Johnson was very good, but he's not the greatest ever. Walter would have a case. If you're going for pure dominance in his prime I'd probably say Koufax, but his lack of longevity could be held against him if you want one guy. I'll give you a rotation. Walter Johnson, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Sandy Koufax, and Cy Young. Of course there are plenty of other guys you could make a good case for there. It's harder than the hitters.

I'm not that in love with Trevor Hoffman, I'd rank my top 3 closers I'd consider as

1A Kimbrel
1B Mo
2 Wagner

Mo has the pedigree for sure, but considering that any closer is gonna have a pretty small sample size because they're all gonna be pretty low in innings pitched. Kimbrel has already produced 2 3 fWAR seasons, Mo on his whole career produced 4. Mo never did it in under 70IP like Kimbrel did. Mo was certainly a more dominant career. But I'm taking Kimbrel because he's more dominant in a 1 inning situations.

For SP I went with RJ because at his peak he's absolutely dominating. He threw nearly 100 with an untouchable slider. I could have gone with a number of pitchers, but I went with him for basically that reason. I think aside from Maddux or Walter he's most likely to go 8 of shutout ball. Of course part of the risk of RJ is he may just walk the side.

AUTiger7222
02-16-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm only going to go with guys I've seen play.

C - Brian McCann
1B - Andres Galarraga
2B - Craig Biggio
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Derek Jeter
LF - Andruw Jones
CF - Ken Griffey Jr.
RF - David Justice
DH - David Ortiz

SP - Greg Maddux
CP - Craig Kimbrel

My batting order would be this.

1. Derek Jeter - SS - R
2. Ken Griffey Jr. - CF - L
3. Chipper Jones - 3B - S
4. Andres Galarraga - 1B - R
5. David Ortiz - DH - L
6. David Justice - RF - L
7. Andruw Jones - LF - R
8. Brian McCann - C - L
9. Craig Biggio - 2B - R

NinersSBChamps
02-16-2014, 12:33 PM
I will go a little more present day as well.

Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez
First Base: Jeff Bagwell
Second Base: Craig Biggio
Third Base: Wade Boggs
Short Stop: Omar Vizquel
Left Field: Rickey Henderson
Center Field: Ken Griffey Jr.
Right Field: Tony Gwynn

Starting Pitcher: Greg Maddux
Closer: John Wetteland

BlackwaterPark
02-16-2014, 01:55 PM
My team wins :)

I'm only going to go with guys I've seen play.

C - Ivan Rodriguez
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Robbie Almoar
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Barry Larkin
LF - Andruw Jones
CF - Ken Griffey Jr.
RF - Ichiro
DH - David Ortiz

SP - John Smoltz
CP - Mariano Rivera

My batting order would be this.

1. Ichiro - RF - L
2. Robbie Alomar - 2B - S
3. Ken Griffey Jr - CF - L
4. Albert Pujols - 1B - R
5. David Ortiz - DH - L
6. Chipper Jones - 3B - S
7. Andruw Jone- LF - R
8. Ivan Rodriguez - C - R
9. Barry Larkin - SS - R

AUTiger7222
02-16-2014, 02:00 PM
My team wins :)

Not a fan of Pujols, Ichiro, Pudge or Alomar. I went with guys that I'm fans of and were also good. And Kimbrel >>> Rivera

BlackwaterPark
02-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Maybe, but I won't be willing to say that about Craig until he's done at least 8-10 seasons like he is now...

keithlaw
02-16-2014, 07:43 PM
GM: Frank Wren

AUTiger7222
02-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Maybe, but I won't be willing to say that about Craig until he's done at least 8-10 seasons like he is now...

Kimbrel just had 3 seasons better than any season Rivera ever had in his career. Kimbrel has had the 3 best seasons by a relief pitcher in the history of baseball.

BlackwaterPark
02-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Kimbrel just had 3 seasons better than any season Rivera ever had in his career. Kimbrel has had the 3 best seasons by a relief pitcher in the history of baseball.

I undrstand, but it's like saying Mike Trout is one of the best players of all time. Big difference between a few great seasons, and best ever

AUTiger7222
02-16-2014, 08:42 PM
I undrstand, but it's like saying Mike Trout is one of the best players of all time. Big difference between a few great seasons, and best ever

Has Mike Trout done things that no one has ever seen before? No. Has Craig Kimbrel done things that no one has ever seen before? Yes. No other pitcher in the HISTORY of baseball has ever had a season where they struckout more than half the batter's they faced in a single season like Kimbrel did in 2012. That's just one of the many eye popping things Kimbrel has done that no one else in the HISTORY of baseball has ever done before. If Kimbrel never throws another MLB pitch he will go down as one of the GREATEST players in the HISTORY of baseball.

BlackwaterPark
02-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Has Mike Trout done things that no one has ever seen before? No. Has Craig Kimbrel done things that no one has ever seen before? Yes. No other pitcher in the HISTORY of baseball has ever had a season where they struckout more than half the batter's they faced in a single season like Kimbrel did in 2012. That's just one of the many eye popping things Kimbrel has done that no one else in the HISTORY of baseball has ever done before. If Kimbrel never throws another MLB pitch he will go down as one of the GREATEST players in the HISTORY of baseball.

No no he won't be...

zitothebrave
02-16-2014, 10:06 PM

If someone wants to put Trout as their CF they can. This is your own preference. I know that RJ isn't the top starter of all time in terms of compiled or rate stats. But I have my reason for picking him.

My reason for picking Kimbrel is if I need 3 outs, I trust him more than Mo at any point in Mo's career. That's just me.

zitothebrave
02-17-2014, 09:17 AM
If I had to build one of players I've seen

C - Pudge (just edges out Mauer)
1B - Pujols
2B - Utley
3B - Chipper
SS - Jeter
LF - Bonds
CF - Griffey
RF - Larry Walker
DH - Frank Thomas

SP - RJ
CL - Kimbrel

And I'm a little shocked that so many people went with accumulators picking Biggio or Alomar ignoring the insane peak of Utley, who's a better defender, hitter and baserunner than either of them. Utley is gonna go down as one of the most underrated players of this era, JMO.

AUTiger7222
02-17-2014, 10:34 AM
No no he won't be...

Yes he will. Do you have to have a 10-15 year career to be considered one of the greatest players in the history of baseball especially when you've done things and set records that have never been accomplished before.

AUTiger7222
02-17-2014, 10:37 AM
If I had to build one of players I've seen

C - Pudge (just edges out Mauer)
1B - Pujols
2B - Utley
3B - Chipper
SS - Jeter
LF - Bonds
CF - Griffey
RF - Larry Walker
DH - Frank Thomas

SP - RJ
CL - Kimbrel

And I'm a little shocked that so many people went with accumulators picking Biggio or Alomar ignoring the insane peak of Utley, who's a better defender, hitter and baserunner than either of them. Utley is gonna go down as one of the most underrated players of this era, JMO.

I didn't go with any players I didn't like. Utley plays for the Phillies and has crushed the Braves more times than I care to remember. I'll never forget the walk-off homerun he hit off John Smoltz in 2004 (before he became a starter in the majors) and screaming "WHO IN THE **** IS CHASE UTLEY!?!?"

I was a huge fan of Craig Biggio and the way he played the game.

zitothebrave
02-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Utley is about as good of a baseball player and character guy (by baseball standards) as there is. I mean you can hate the Phillies, but hating on Utley is like hating on David Wright, decent enough guy, plays the game right and if he was a Brave he'd be one of your favorites. I can understand hating when he beats you, but you not liking him would be like a Phillies fan not like McCann.

BlackwaterPark
02-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes he will. Do you have to have a 10-15 year career to be considered one of the greatest players in the history of baseball especially when you've done things and set records that have never been accomplished before.

Yes usually you do. Is Eric Gagne one of the greatest closers of all time?

zitothebrave
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Yes

Though he did cheat.

AUTiger7222
02-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Utley is about as good of a baseball player and character guy (by baseball standards) as there is. I mean you can hate the Phillies, but hating on Utley is like hating on David Wright, decent enough guy, plays the game right and if he was a Brave he'd be one of your favorites. I can understand hating when he beats you, but you not liking him would be like a Phillies fan not like McCann.

You're correct with the fact that I would have loved to have had him on the Braves back in the day before his knees gave out. I respect him as a player. That doesn't mean that I have to like the guy. Had he played for someone else it might have been different but because it was the Phillies, I just can't do it.

AUTiger7222
02-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Gagne will forever be remembered for having one of the greatest runs that we've ever seen from a closer, 2003 NL Cy Young winner, 84 straight consecutive saves.