PDA

View Full Version : Alex Wood: Key Player for the Second Half

nsacpi
07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Our pen has gotten lots of favorable pub lately. But it has some weaknesses. Kimbrel, Walden and Avilan are a very strong trio for high leverage situations in innings 7-9.

Varvaro and Carpenter have done well, but they are outperforming their peripherals and track records. I think we'll see some regression from those two in the second half.

Wood on the other hand is the real deal. His splits in AA and the majors show almost equal effectiveness against righties and lefties. Fredi may be taking off the training wheels on Wood. He used him three straight days this week, though his hand was forced a bit the last game due to it going 14 innings.

Wood is likely better than just about any lefty reliever that selling teams are going to make available. This will take any pressure off Wren to overpay.

I'm hoping Fredi moves him up the pecking order in the pen after the All-Star break. I'd rather see him out there than Varvaro, Carpenter or Ayala, even against righties. The Reds series might provide an interesting preview of what is in store for Alex.

Knucksie
07-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Expect some help for the pen by trade deadline. Wren's tries to avoid overpaying by dealing earlier than the rest of the market.

weso1
07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
I just hope Fredi doesn't over use Alex in the 2nd half if Wren doesn't get another lefty and Fredi starts relying on Alex more.

The Chosen One
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
We could make Maholm a reliever... if he exerts more energy in one inning he could top out at dare I say 89 MPH?!?

John Foster got away with that.

nsacpi
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
The decision to get another lefty might turn on Beachy's status. If he returns to the rotation, I could see Maholm getting bumped to the pen.

Our pen might look like this: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Wood, Maholm, and two of Carpenter, Varvaro, Ayala.

nsacpi
07-10-2013, 04:14 PM
We could make Maholm a reliever... if he exerts more energy in one inning he could top out at dare I say 89 MPH?!?

John Foster got away with that.

Addled minds think alike. It seemed that Maholm's velocity was down today. And he can't afford to lose any. Wonder if there is a health issue.

rico43
07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
I have no confidence in Ayala at all. I think Lamm might get a shot somewhere down the line. Certainly Beimel has shown no signs of being ready in Gwinnett.

Braves1976
07-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I have no confidence in Ayala at all. I think Lamm might get a shot somewhere down the line. Certainly Beimel has shown no signs of being ready in Gwinnett.

We basically agree, but Obispo should get a shot first IMO. I'd hoped he'd already got a shot by now given all the relievers we went through, etc.

Dalyn
07-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I just hope Fredi doesn't over use Alex in the 2nd half if Wren doesn't get another lefty and Fredi starts relying on Alex more.

Yeah. Last thing we need is Fredi pulling out Wood everyday until teams start slapping Wood around due to overexposure.

Bj1133
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah. Last thing we need is Fredi pulling out Wood everyday until teams start slapping Wood around due to overexposure.

Overexposed Wood - "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

AUTiger7222
07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Why is that? Ayala has been very good the last 2 years for the O's and done ok in the few games with the Braves. He had 1 bad game for the O's at the beginning of the season and they dumped him and he's had 1 bad game with the Braves.

We basically agree, but Obispo should get a shot first IMO. I'd hoped he'd already got a shot by now given all the relievers we went through, etc.

I agree about Obispo. I liked what I saw of him in spring training. Dude throws easy gas.

Metaphysicist
07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Last thing we need is Fredi pulling out Wood everyday

Speak for yourself.

zitothebrave
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm just concerned Fredi will misuse Wood. Nothing like riding Wood too hard to cause injury.

CyYoung31
07-10-2013, 10:21 PM
The problem is that Wood has no protection when he comes into the game. If Wood comes out spotty, it might spread to the rest of the team. Fredi would be wise to pull Wood out early if this is the case.

Carp
07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
PENIS.

I hate subtlety

cajunrevenge
07-11-2013, 03:56 AM
I know a lot of people want Wood in the minors starting but I think being in the pen in the majors is good for him. I think the experience vs ML hitters is invaluable and even if its an inning at a time this will help him when he becomes a starter full time. He has proven he can get out minor league hitters, he should only be in the minors if we need to stretch his arm out. We arent even losing a year of service time for this year.

Enscheff
07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
My opinion is that Wood is learning just as much by pitching out of the MLB BP as he would be starting at AA or AAA. He can be the 6th man next year while in the AAA starting rotation. I'm sure Minor or Teheran are just about due for a TJ surgery, so Wren needs to have a rock solid 6th man ready in AAA.

Keep in mind it was never the plan to have Wood in the BP, but the injuries to EOF and Venters forced the issue. It's not like Wren is going to plan on having Wood in the BP next year as well. The 2014 rotation will most likely be Minor, Beachy, Medlen, Teheran, and Hudson (brought back on a series of 1 year deals until he retires). As soon as Minor or Teheran feel a twinge in their elbow, or Hudson has a heart attack, Wood will be called up to start.

50PoundHead
07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Our pen has gotten lots of favorable pub lately. But it has some weaknesses. Kimbrel, Walden and Avilan are a very strong trio for high leverage situations in innings 7-9.

Varvaro and Carpenter have done well, but they are outperforming their peripherals and track records. I think we'll see some regression from those two in the second half.

Wood on the other hand is the real deal. His splits in AA and the majors show almost equal effectiveness against righties and lefties. Fredi may be taking off the training wheels on Wood. He used him three straight days this week, though his hand was forced a bit the last game due to it going 14 innings.

Wood is likely better than just about any lefty reliever that selling teams are going to make available. This will take any pressure off Wren to overpay.

I'm hoping Fredi moves him up the pecking order in the pen after the All-Star break. I'd rather see him out there than Varvaro, Carpenter or Ayala, even against righties. The Reds series might provide an interesting preview of what is in store for Alex.

I hope I'm not being a grammar/logic NAZI, but I don't think these two are outperforming their peripherals. Their peripherals are low and their results are in line with them. I agree with you that I don't believe they can keep this up and that their current peripherals are much, much better than their career numbers. Varvaro piques my curiosity, but I don't want him in there with the game on the line. Carpenter is more filler than anything else, but both of these guys can bring some serious heat. But I don't see either one of them as guys you would want pitching in high-leverage situations on a regular basis.

I think we'll try to land a bullpen guy at the deadline.

PS--I agree with Enscheff that Wood is learning more getting big league hitters out working out of the bullpen than he would be getting out has-been's and never-will-be's in the minors.

weso1
07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I know a lot of people want Wood in the minors

Only Zito wants that.... sorry.

nsacpi
07-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I hope I'm not being a grammar/logic NAZI, but I don't think these two are outperforming their peripherals. Their peripherals are low and their results are in line with them. I agree with you that I don't believe they can keep this up and that their current peripherals are much, much better than their career numbers. Varvaro piques my curiosity, but I don't want him in there with the game on the line. Carpenter is more filler than anything else, but both of these guys can bring some serious heat. But I don't see either one of them as guys you would want pitching in high-leverage situations on a regular basis.

I think we'll try to land a bullpen guy at the deadline.

PS--I agree with Enscheff that Wood is learning more getting big league hitters out working out of the bullpen than he would be getting out has-been's and never-will-be's in the minors.

What I meant by that is that their ERA is below their FIP and xFIP. Perhaps I was using the word peripherals idiosyncratically.

stpeteirish
07-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Maholm could be a situational lefty, he gets out lefties. There were none to get out yesterday. OPS vs lefties is 300 points lower this year.