PDA

View Full Version : doin' the right thang

nsacpi
10-16-2023, 10:00 PM

nsacpi
10-16-2023, 10:01 PM
Rabbi Ari Hart explains why the Rabbis attended the funeral:

“The Jerusalem Talmud teaches that the Jewish people are obligated to comfort the mourners of our people and of all people because of darchei shalom - the paths of peace.

Today, a group of rabbis of us went to the funeral of Wadea Al-Fayoume, a six year old Muslim boy who was killed in his home by his depraved landlord because he was Palestinian and Muslim.

This picture is with the imam of the mosque where the funeral was held. We met with the Imam, heard from the father, and stood with the boy’s community as they mourned this horrific loss. We witnessed the pain. We expressed our shock and condemnation of the attack. We wept.

I can’t say that it was simple to be there.

These are not simple times.

But the murder of a six year old because of his faith and his identity is not complicated. It is a heinous crime. And that’s why we went today.

These days it really feels like the world has lost its way.

But I can’t give up on trying, yearning, dreaming, even right now, of finding the way to shalom. The way to peace.”

These rabbis show what it is to be a mensch.

sturg33
10-16-2023, 10:01 PM
This compassion for the other side will only ever go one direction

nsacpi
10-16-2023, 10:56 PM
When Hamas unleashed its attack on thousands of Jews attending a music festival in southern Israel earlier this month, an Israeli Arab paramedic insisted on staying at the scene to try to save lives.

In the end, he gave his own.

Awad Darawshe was 23, single, handsome — but he wasn’t at the Tribe of Nova festival to dance. He worked for Yossi Ambulances and was among a team of paramedics assigned to work the festival in a tent on the site’s periphery.

He was killed when Hamas militants slipped undetected into Israel from the Gaza Strip and butchered their way through the festival crowd and into nearby villages, settlements and kibbutzim.

Shortly after dawn on Oct. 7, rockets pierced the skies. Grenades went off. Gunfire ricocheted everywhere. Injured, bleeding revelers raced to the paramedics’ station. But the chaos quickly escalated. As the scope of the Hamas attack became clear, the station’s leader ordered the paramedics to evacuate.

Darawshe refused to leave. He was shot to death while bandaging one of the injured.

Days later, after his body was identified, the surviving paramedics told Darawshe's family why he had chosen to stay. He felt that, as an Arab, he could somehow mediate with the attackers.

“He said, ‘No, I’m not leaving. I speak Arabic, I think I can manage,’” said his cousin, Mohammad Darawshe, who spoke to The Associated Press by telephone from his home in northern Israel.

That fateful decision has left the Darawshe family reeling with sorrow, their only comfort the bravery of Awad's actions.

"He brought us a lot of pain, he brought us a lot of agony, he brought us a lot of sorrow,” his cousin said. “But he also brought us a lot of pride — because he chose to stay with his mission until the last moment.”

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/arab-paramedic-treated-israelis-injured-hamas-militants-remembered-103990275

The article doesn't specify his religion but maybe the name of his cousin is a hint.