PDA

View Full Version : Braves extend Frank Wren and Fredi Gonzalez. WOOOOOOO!!!

MadduxFanII
02-19-2014, 10:58 AM
According to DOB, Fredi and Wren both got contract extensions. Might justify a separate thread.

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 11:02 AM
According to DOB, Fredi and Wren both got contract extensions. Might justify a separate thread.

But I thought Fredi was going to get fired after this year? Afterall he's done a horrible job, right???

weso1
02-19-2014, 11:04 AM

Fredi has done an amazing job this offseason.

The Chosen One
02-19-2014, 11:07 AM
If any of you are having problems posting a new thread, VBulletin is having issues right now.

sturg33
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM

I really hope you're joking about Fred

thethe
02-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Not sure how Fredi can get an extension after that showing in the playoffs last year. I'm willing to see if he grows as a manager but this is now a win-now team. Can't have a manager making insane decisions that potentially costs us playoff games (KIMBREL!)

Tapate50
02-19-2014, 11:17 AM

Been attempting to post a new thread and it just locks up.

zitothebrave
02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Fredi extension is strictly symbolic. Coaches aren't like players, they get paid well, but firing them isn't the same as cutting a player. Fredi benig under contract means nothing. That said, this organization is about stability, and I don't think they can Fredi unless he epically collapses again.

thethe
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Fredi extension is strictly symbolic. Coaches aren't like players, they get paid well, but firing them isn't the same as cutting a player. Fredi benig under contract means nothing. That said, this organization is about stability, and I don't think they can Fredi unless he epically collapses again.

If we don't win a round this year I don't see how he is back unless the team was ravaged by injuries.

NYCBrave
02-19-2014, 11:24 AM
If we don't win a round this year I don't see how he is back unless the team was ravaged by injuries.

I really don't think that's fair. When was the last time the Braves won a round? Cox wasn't exactly winning in the playoffs every year either.

goldfly
02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
and just like that, the braves made their worst choice of the offseason

The Chosen One
02-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Fred is cox-lite. He'll be here until Wren retires like JS.

thethe
02-19-2014, 11:27 AM
I really don't think that's fair. When was the last time the Braves won a round? Cox wasn't exactly winning in the playoffs every year either.

Baseball is certainly all about the players. I won't deny that. But when your resume consists of leaving the best closer in baseball on the bench in a playoff game that could have resulted in a game 5 in your homebuilding then you deserve a lot of criticism.

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Should have fired him too I guess.

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Fred is cox-lite. He'll be here until Wren retires like JS.

Yep he's going nowhere, it's amazing people think otherwise. This organization strives on stability, they don't fire managers for postseason failures. Only way he gets fired is if they collapse in the regular season and that won't be happening.

zitothebrave
02-19-2014, 11:34 AM

If we win the division he will get a pass. I agree that too long is risky since we have a 2 year window for our best shot. But that's how the Braves operate.

The Chosen One
02-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Yep he's going nowhere, it's amazing people think otherwise. This organization strives on stability, they don't fire managers for postseason failures. Only way he gets fired is if they collapse in the regular season and that won't be happening.

Didn't Bobby have a few collapses there in 2007 and 2009 I wanna say?

zitothebrave
02-19-2014, 11:43 AM

And everyone wanted him out after then and he likely retired because of the pressure put on him at the end of 09. Also in 07 we weren't that good. We didn't collapse, we just were lucky the Phillies and Mets were so bad.

NYCBrave
02-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Baseball is certainly all about the players. I won't deny that. But when your resume consists of leaving the best closer in baseball on the bench in a playoff game that could have resulted in a game 5 in your homebuilding then you deserve a lot of criticism.

Although people have reason to be upset about that, I can think of a lot of reasons we lost that series.

yeezus
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
That's the thing with Fredi in that series. Managers, to me, generally have limited impact on games. Sure, they makes moves, but it's still largely your star players that are going to carry you. However, I feel Fredi had a major impact on the outcome of that series. It wasn't all his fault, and I think our offense is the primary reason we lost. But, Fredi had a bigger impact than I would have liked, and that impact was negative.

I doubt he gets fired, because we will have a good season and this team has a lot of upside. I don't think he will always make decisions that directly cost us games like in Game 4. The opportunity isn't always there.

goldfly
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM

You mean I have to wait for another heart breaking collapse before we might fire our terrible manager?

The Chosen One
02-19-2014, 11:58 AM
And everyone wanted him out after then and he likely retired because of the pressure put on him at the end of 09. Also in 07 we weren't that good. We didn't collapse, we just were lucky the Phillies and Mets were so bad.

That was the year the Phillies won like 11 out of 12 to win the division from NY and NY dropped 7 games in 12 days.

We choked the Wild Card I think. We were in it the last week then had a losing streak.

sturg33
02-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Did we not have an epic, monumental regular season collapse just two years ago?

The Chosen One
02-19-2014, 12:07 PM

First year on the job with us. He was hired because Florida was actually decent under him.

tululush
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
And to think what would have been had Hanley not drop kicked that baseball into left field and Freddi yanked him.

First year on the job with us. He was hired because Florida was actually decent under him.

Heyward
02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
If we win the division he will get a pass. I agree that too long is risky since we have a 2 year window for our best shot. But that's how the Braves operate.

Nats have a 2-year window too.

Up to the players to execute, thats not on Fredi.

Heyward
02-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Werent we ravaged by injuries that year?

skillet
02-19-2014, 01:40 PM
I find it very hard to believe the negative feelings about Gonzalez. His record as our manager these last three years is 279-207, a .574 winning percentage, which equates to an average record of 93-69 per season. Those are very good results. He has finished 4th and 3rd in manager of the year voting the last two years. And it is really easy after the fact to second guess the decision not to bring Craig in with one out in the 8th inning of that playoff game. Do you realize that Fredi never brought Craig in to get the last 5 outs of any game in the three years he has been manager or Craig's been our closer. Not once. Not to mention Carpenter had been excellent in that role all year. It has been a strategy that has been extremely successful the whole time he's been here. It just so happens that one time it didn't work out but it doesn't make it all of a sudden a bad strategy because one time out of hundreds it doesn't work.

nsacpi
02-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Managers of playoff teams get the boot on occasion. See Baker, Dusty for a recent example.

I do think the expectations for this team are a bit higher than just making the playoffs.

skillet
02-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Managers of playoff teams get the boot on occasion. See Baker, Dusty for a recent example.

I do think the expectations for this team are a bit higher than just making the playoffs.

Was Fredi responsible for our entire pitching staff, that had the best ERA (3.18) in all of baseball the entire year, fall completely on their collective faces in the playoffs (5.82)? Was he responsible for Jason Heyward, Justin Upton and Brian McCann hitting a pathetic 5 for 41, a .122 batting average in the playoffs?

nsacpi
02-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Was Fredi responsible for our entire pitching staff, that had the best ERA in all of baseball the entire year, fall completely on their collective faces in the playoffs?

Who said he was?

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 01:48 PM

And that's not even what I'm referring too, that team still had a good season. The collapse was bad but nothing to get fired over. People can think he's a terrible manager if they want but obviously the Braves don't feel that way, neither do a lot of people in the game of baseball. He's well respected and his teams win a lot of games.

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 01:53 PM
I find it very hard to believe the negative feelings about Gonzalez. His record as our manager these last three years is 279-207, a .574 winning percentage, which equates to an average record of 93-69 per season. Those are very good results. He has finished 4th and 3rd in manager of the year voting the last two years. And it is really easy after the fact to second guess the decision not to bring Craig in with one out in the 8th inning of that playoff game. Do you realize that Fredi never brought Craig in to get the last 5 outs of any game in the three years he has been manager or Craig's been our closer. Not once. Not to mention Carpenter had been excellent in that role all year. It has been a strategy that has been extremely successful the whole time he's been here. It just so happens that one time it didn't work out but it doesn't make it all of a sudden a bad strategy because one time out of hundreds it doesn't work.

Completely agree

jpx7
02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
I find it very hard to believe the negative feelings about Gonzalez.

It's the little things—in life, and in having negative feelings about Gonzalez.

jpx7
02-19-2014, 01:58 PM
And it is really easy after the fact to second guess the decision not to bring Craig in with one out in the 8th inning of that playoff game.

A lot of us first-guessed it, so I don't really think this logic applies.

Do you realize that Fredi never brought Craig in to get the last 5 outs of any game in the three years he has been manager or Craig's been our closer.

Do you realize that some regard that to be a flaw in his strategic abilities, and don't think season's precedent should guide decisions in every emergent, do-or-die case?

Heyward
02-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Who said he was?

The way some people talk about Fredi, you'd think that it was.

sturg33
02-19-2014, 02:06 PM

With the talent on this team, anyone should be able to win 90-95 wins without lifting a finger. Seriously, the team is loaded. Him winning games just by filling out the lineup card is not indicative of his abilities as a tactician during games.

He finished 4th and 3rd in manager of the year because of our record, not because of over achievement.

He never used Craig in a 5 out save before? So? Was the win-or-go-home game we played in April?

Lastly, I'd say 75% of this board was screaming for Kimbrel. And even if he was unable to pitch two innings, we wanted him pitching the 8th to get the heart of the order out.

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 02:07 PM

When is the last time the Braves did something like that? We aren't like everyone else. Also just because someone else does it that doesn't mean it was the right decision. What you do over the long haul should count for more than what you do in a short series. Expectations are high but I guarantee you this team won't even be picked to win the division, Washington will be by most people. Also expectations are also high for St. Louis and LA. So it's not like we don't have competition.

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 02:10 PM
With the talent on this team, anyone should be able to win 90-95 wins without lifting a finger. Seriously, the team is loaded. Him winning games just by filling out the lineup card is not indicative of his abilities as a tactician during games.

Weren't the Angels loaded as well? Why didn't they win 95 games if talent is all it takes? Why is Bobby so highly revered if division titles aren't anything to write home about? Afterall anyone can do it, right?

Also your post is inaccurate, he did more than fill out a lineup card. With the injuries we had and under performances we had from two key players he had to find a way to get production from others.

Enscheff
02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Was Fredi responsible for our entire pitching staff, that had the best ERA (3.18) in all of baseball the entire year, fall completely on their collective faces in the playoffs (5.82)? Was he responsible for Jason Heyward, Justin Upton and Brian McCann hitting a pathetic 5 for 41, a .122 batting average in the playoffs?

I still can't believe JUp didn't show up for the NLDS. I truly thought he was going to go into beast mode like he did when he had extra motivation during the regular season a few times and carry the team.

zitothebrave
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM

No but he was responsible for the team selection and selected our worst OF defense possible (sans something dumb) which there were more than a couple of runs that may have been saved with an OF with Jason in RF and Justin in LF. DOn't get me wrong Gattis played well, but when facing great pitching teams you have to play your best defensive team to limit their damage.

tululush
02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Totally different situation. This was an elimination game. Kimbrel was ready and wanted in. He would have been completely fine getting 5 outs. Also Carpenter gave up the hr to Hanley in game 1 I believe. So he wasn't exactly pitching lights out. Kimbrel was the correct call and it was blatantly obvious. I would have much rather lost with him in there than lose with him being held back. Potential last game of the season. Lay it all out on the line.

Dalyn
02-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Fredi getting an extension really ****s on my day.

Bdawg2309
02-19-2014, 03:04 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Fpe9nJ4.gif

Heyward
02-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Go root for a new team, then.

Dalyn
02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Go root for a new team, then.

Fredi isn't the ****ing Braves. Fans can be unhappy. Stop being such a **** all the time.

Heyward
02-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Fredi isn't the ****ing Braves. Fans can be unhappy. Stop being such a **** all the time.

I'm a dick all the time?

Dalyn
02-19-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm a dick all the time?

Obviously not, since that word isn't blocked. You just have something rude to say any time someone doesn't agree with the team (even in a minor way). There is no rule that says a fan has to be happy about every move their favorite team makes.

Heyward
02-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Obviously not, since that word isn't blocked. You just have something rude to say any time someone doesn't agree with the team (even in a minor way). There is no rule that says a fan has to be happy about every move their favorite team makes.

Ok, mister.

NYCBrave
02-19-2014, 04:01 PM
This is nothing new. I wish people could dig up the archives on scout of how often people complained about Bobby Cox, and that was a hall of fame manager.

BremanFan88
02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
This is nothing new. I wish people could dig up the archives on scout of how often people complained about Bobby Cox, and that was a hall of fame manager.

Who had 16 chances to win a title and failed 15 times. With all do respect to Bobby as a regular season manager but he was a horrible playoff manager. Not to mention all the pitchers he ran into the ground...

The Chosen One
02-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Going to move the other posts in here so people can express their adoration for Fredi.

Dalyn
02-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Can anyone confirm the name of Fredi's bookie? I want to make sure my information is accurate before I send this to Bud.

Heyward
02-19-2014, 06:38 PM
:fredi:

BremanFan88
02-19-2014, 06:49 PM
they don't fire managers for postseason failures.

You say that like its a good thing but I guess you're just happy with division titles?

Dalyn
02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4831586057127169&pid=15.1

http://cdn.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-product-image/t1514063-300.jpg

https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4623507798229529&pid=15.1

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4831165164031124&pid=15.1

CyYoung31
02-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Continuing to lock up our young core. Love it.

Dalyn
02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Continuing to lock up our young core. Love it.

http://offtherecordsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/JerrySandusky.jpg

The Chosen One
02-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Too soon. :facepalm:

Although give credit to Jerry they weren't locked up. They were out in the open in the showers.

CyYoung31
02-19-2014, 07:36 PM
http://offtherecordsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/JerrySandusky.jpg

I totally thought that was Roy Williams at first glance.

mossy
02-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Both deserved extensions.

We must have the whiniest fan base in professional sports. Hell, I whined too when I had time for it. Now that I'm working two jobs so I can get my wife thru nursing school, I'm just glad we have a baseball team in Atlanta.

Imagine it's 1989, and you'll all be happier.

goldfly
02-19-2014, 08:16 PM
so depressing to see Fredi get an extension

AUTiger7222
02-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Not sure how Fredi can get an extension after that showing in the playoffs last year. I'm willing to see if he grows as a manager but this is now a win-now team. Can't have a manager making insane decisions that potentially costs us playoff games (KIMBREL!)

That was an insanely dumb move but if you can't tell that Fredi Gonzalez has greatly improved from 2011 until now then you've not been paying attention. Fredi's management skills, particularly when it comes to the bullpen, the Kimbrel move aside, has been the area where he has improved the most.

AUTiger7222
02-19-2014, 08:28 PM

2007 for sure. Braves started off that year 24-12 but then Chipper and Smoltz got hurt and the season went down the drain. Braves ended up with only 84 wins that year. 2009 was different. 2009 the Braves played .500 ball all season until they got Adam LaRoche, then they took off like a house a fire and came from at least 5 games behind if not more, nearly making the playoffs. Once they were eliminated they tanked it by losing their final 6 games of the season.

AUTiger7222
02-19-2014, 08:32 PM

Dusty Baker has also been an MLB manager forever (It's not really that long but it feels like it) and has never won anything in all those years as a manage. That's one of the reasons the Reds let him go.

AUTiger7222
02-19-2014, 08:39 PM

I miss Bobby's fire and presence in the dugout more than I miss him actually making the managerial decisions.

NinersSBChamps
02-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Dusty Baker has also been an MLB manager forever (It's not really that long but it feels like it) and has never won anything in all those years as a manage. That's one of the reasons the Reds let him go.

20 seasons as a manager is a pretty long time.

AUTiger7222
02-19-2014, 08:40 PM
I totally thought that was Roy Williams at first glance.

So did I. LOL.

AUTiger7222
02-19-2014, 08:41 PM
20 seasons as a manager is a pretty long time.

Yeah and Baker has never won anything in how many trips to the playoffs? It was the same reason the Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer after 2006 in which the Chargers posted a 14-2 record. It's because they, and the rest of the NFL, realized that Schottenheimer, no matter how good the team is/was, was never going to get the job done. The Reds, and the rest of baseball, finally realized the same thing on Baker. Fredi Gonzalez isn't there year. He's only been an MLB manager for 7 years with 2 trips to the playoffs.

NinersSBChamps
02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah and Baker has never won anything in how many trips to the playoffs? It was the same reason the Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer after 2006 in which the Chargers posted a 14-2 record. It's because they, and the rest of the NFL, realized that Schottenheimer, no matter how good the team is/was, was never going to get the job done. The Reds, and the rest of baseball, finally realized the same thing on Baker. Fredi Gonzalez isn't there year. He's only been an MLB manager for 7 years with 2 trips to the playoffs.

I don't know and I don't care to look up Dusty Baker's record in the post season. So when the Braves get eliminated in their next playoff series again this season, if they are lucky enough to make it what happens to Fredi?

Oklahomahawk
02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

Hmm, great regular season manager, suckier than sucky in the postseason. Hmmm, where did he learn that.........Hmmmm...........

jason27nc
02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Can't say as I am happy with the Fredi part but I am glad for Wren. Fredi is a good manager but he does not have that "IT" factor. Maybe this year he proves me wrong. I sure hope so.

yeezus
02-19-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't know and I don't care to look up Dusty Baker's record in the post season. So when the Braves get eliminated in their next playoff series again this season, if they are lucky enough to make it what happens to Fredi?

Dude, you are the worst fan. "When they lose again." For real? Kick rocks.

Hawk
02-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Fredi ain't flashy, but he's consistent.

ChapelHillMatt
02-19-2014, 10:58 PM
You say that like its a good thing but I guess you're just happy with division titles?

Not completely satisfied but yes I do think winning your division is an accomplishment. I also think Fredi can improve as a manager.

zitothebrave
02-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Can't say as I am happy with the Fredi part but I am glad for Wren. Fredi is a good manager but he does not have that "IT" factor. Maybe this year he proves me wrong. I sure hope so.

Well Terry Francona won 2 world series so you never know. Francona is a worse manager than Fredi so you never know.

Problem is that you don't like having a weakness at manager because poor planning can put you in a bad position where you're totally reliant on your players to dig you out of a hole. For example, the time Fredi didn't bring in Kimbrel with the season on the line and the meat of the order coming up.

Julio3000
02-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Not completely satisfied but yes I do think winning your division is an accomplishment. I also think Fredi can improve as a manager.

He's already improved. He just often seems to be reeeeeaaaaalllly slow to figure stuff out, like that Zeus or John J. McGraw isn't going to hurl a lightning bolt at him if he uses his backup catcher to PH instead of, like, Paul Janish.

BremanFan88
02-20-2014, 07:09 AM
like that Zeus or John J. McGraw isn't going to hurl a lightning bolt at him

Fredi prays to both the Old Gods and the New...

NYCBrave
02-20-2014, 10:22 AM
So from what I've learned in this thread, we have so much talent that our manager has no impact on the team, and this guy would do a better job than Fredi:

http://savagehenrymagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/scarecrow.jpg

thethe
02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
So from what I've learned in this thread, we have so much talent that our manager has no impact on the team, and this guy would do a better job than Fredi:

http://savagehenrymagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/scarecrow.jpg

As long as he can point to Kimbrel then he just might be.

BremanFan88
02-20-2014, 10:35 AM
As long as he can point to Kimbrel then he just might be.

That guy would be afraid of Kimbrel's heat but still better than Fredi.

NinersSBChamps
02-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Dude, you are the worst fan. "When they lose again." For real? Kick rocks.

Okay. Have a good day. I won't stoop to your level anymore though.

chipchildress
02-20-2014, 02:19 PM
fredi is an awful manager on the field.

he may not be awful in the clubhouse however. i'm just not sure how smart the guy is.

AUTiger7222
02-20-2014, 04:29 PM
fredi is an awful manager on the field.

he may not be awful in the clubhouse however. i'm just not sure how smart the guy is.

There are plenty worse managers than Fredi Gonzalez. If you don't know that then you don't pay attention. If you don't see the improvement Fredi has made from 2011 until now then you haven't been paying attention.

Dalyn
02-20-2014, 04:36 PM
There are plenty worse managers than Fredi Gonzalez. If you don't know that then you don't pay attention. If you don't see the improvement Fredi has made from 2011 until now then you haven't been paying attention.

Even with the "improvements" he is a poor in-game manager. And his improvements are often more along the lines of, "That didn't work. I'll do the exact opposite."

AUTiger7222
02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Even with the "improvements" he is a poor in-game manager. And his improvements are often more along the lines of, "That didn't work. I'll do the exact opposite."

:facepalm:

yeezus
02-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Okay. Have a good day. I won't stoop to your level anymore though.

My level, says the one who was SUSPENDED FROM THIS BOARD for childish, racist remarks.
You're right, you're not at my level, and never will be. I'm intelligent.

thewupk
02-21-2014, 12:52 PM

The Braves have had a poor in game manager for 25 years now. So it's not like this is anything knew. Bobby was horrible at it too. But like Bobby I think Freddi's biggest positive is handling the clubhouse which over a full season is more important. Yes poor in game managers can screw you in the playoffs as we saw last year.

NinersSBChamps
02-21-2014, 07:27 PM
My level, says the one who was SUSPENDED FROM THIS BOARD for childish, racist remarks.
You're right, you're not at my level, and never will be. I'm intelligent.

Okay great. Ttyl braj.

sturg33
02-21-2014, 08:06 PM
The fact that the majority of this board is well ahead of Fredi's correct decisions is pretty damning. The three that stick out the most to me are:

1. Starting Constanza over Heyward bc he was hitting well for a few games in a row - while the rest of the board was begging to play the much better Heyward… I believe we collapsed our for-sure playoff appearance that year

2. Batting Simmons and BJ Upton leadoff the whole year when the board was begging for Jason Heyward about 2 months prior to the switch

3. Kimbrel. Nuff said

I can think of several other examples. But the guy just comes across as totally clueless. And I don't think he handles the media very well at all (he seems to call out players from time-to-time).

CyYoung31
02-21-2014, 08:07 PM
The Braves have had a poor in game manager for 25 years now. So it's not like this is anything knew. Bobby was horrible at it too. But like Bobby I think Freddi's biggest positive is handling the clubhouse which over a full season is more important. Yes poor in game managers can screw you in the playoffs as we saw last year.

Yep. Pretty much what I was going to say.

ChapelHillMatt
02-22-2014, 12:00 AM

How many great in game managers are there? I'd be interested in seeing the list. It seems like every baseball game I watch a manager makes a move you can 2nd guess. Which leads me to believe managing is a lot harder than people think. I'd much rather have a guy that can run a good clean clubhouse than one who is a strategic genius. Managing 25 egos over the course of 162 games can't be easy.

I just can't justify being overly critical of someone that wins as much as Fredi does. It's disappointing that we continue to come up short in October but that's been a part of our history ever since I started watching Braves baseball so we should be used to it by now. Fredi is doing nothing differently than what we've seen since the run started in 1991.

Russ2dollas
02-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Not a Freddie guy. But the players seem to like him. I think with the marathon of a season having a great clubhouse manager is the most important thing. He seems willing to think about other ways of approaching the game. If we were going to get a Saber GM, then I'd want a new manager. But with Wrenn, Freddie is a fine pair.

Wrenn...I hope this offseason is the new Wrenn. Concentrate on signing guys you know and stay out of the FA market. Grow and sign our own guys and supplement our line up with SHORT term contracts from other teams. Keep the bullpen cheap but a priority. Basically I love Wrenn if he just stays out of the 10+ million/yr and more than 2 year FA signings.