PDA

View Full Version : who else likes Indie Rock?

Knucksie
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Curious about what new or recent stuff people are listening to. What do you like? What don't you like? Where do you samples sounds (XMU, Spotify, Band Camp, blogs, YouTube, etc.)?

Caught some great concerts by some favorites, locally, over the last year (Cults, Wild Nothing, Bat for Lashes). Got CD's (still a physical media guy) of the new Polica, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Small Black and Ducktails.

As a Braves site, Georgia has to be represented. Have the first Washed Out (Ernest Greene is said to be the Godfather of Chillwave). Haven't gotten the new one, but it's on the to-do list. Cat Power is certainly a talent, with a strong discography, but definitely a flake.

The overrated: Vampire Weekend, Grizzly Bear and Haim.

Hawk
02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Seriously, Vampire Weekend is intolerable. Almost as bad as MGMT (now). Grizzly Bear's older stuff is pretty good, though.

I love Washed Out. I have seen Ernest and crew perform three times now, including in Athens, which was surreal (he went to school there). The new album is OK, but really nothing in comparison to the genius of Life of Leisure. As a proud South Carolinian, I have to throw Toro y Moi into the mix (more alternative).

My top indie plays recently: Ghost Loft, St. Lucia, Keep Shelley in Athens, Phantogram, Roosevelt, Little Dragon, Bombay Bicycle Club, Snowmine

Currently listening to Beck's latest album (some may not consider Beck indie anymore) -- not bad, at all, but slow. Another fringy indie type that has been putting out some good singles recently: Broken Bells.

All in all, slant heavily toward Electronica. Get a majority of my music from Spotify (the best $10 per month I have ever spent) and its apps (Twitter #Music, Reddit Tunes, BBC Playlister, Hype Machine, Pitchfork). Subscribe to SiriusXM, but am usually glued to BPM or Electric Area.

jpx7
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Is Indie Rock even a coherent, meaningful term anymore?

Meanwhile: Beck is always awesome.

How about Drive-By Truckers, if you want some Georgia representation in this thread?

Knucksie
02-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Seriously, Vampire Weekend is intolerable. Almost as bad as MGMT (now).

Have to admit finding "Electric Feel" to be kind of catchy, but otherwise have little use for MGMT, too.

My top indie plays recently: Ghost Loft, St. Lucia, Keep Shelley in Athens, Phantogram, Roosevelt, Little Dragon, Bombay Bicycle Club, Snowmine

Just got the new Phantogram and digesting it. The indie realm is loaded with hotties, but Sarah Barthel takes it to another level.

Sounds like something Carles, from Hipster Runoff, would ask! Seriously, it has become kind a generic term though. Some of the acts, that are perceived as indie, are signed to major labels.

if you want some Georgia representation in this thread?

The opening act for Cults was Mood Ring, who are from Atlanta. Decent band but should've come up with a better name. Definitely worth watching.

zitothebrave
02-26-2014, 04:01 PM
I generally go more local for my "indie" fixes. Gaslight Anthem would be an example, they seem to be bigger now though, I assume they're not on an indie lable anymore. This is a band from Bucks county PA who I've seen since like 08 or so, they were featured in some NBA game which is how most people I know who know them who didn't see them through my family (brother knew of them before they started touring and whatnot)

That was a very confusing sentence, but here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZWZTu0pVg

goldfly
02-26-2014, 04:14 PM

How about Drive-By Truckers, if you want some Georgia representation in this thread?

Beck is amazing

Jason Isbell is putting out better music and is better than the Truckers now

Hawk
02-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Just got the new Phantogram and digesting it. The indie realm is loaded with hotties, but Sarah Barthel takes it to another level.

It's not bad. So far my favorite tracks are Nothing But Trouble and Fall In Love. I first got hooked on Phantogram during their Don't Move days -- so this is a bit of a transition for me. Your thoughts?

Hawk
02-26-2014, 04:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5U9QRiY46I

Knucksie
02-26-2014, 04:53 PM
It's not bad. So far my favorite tracks are Nothing But Trouble and Fall In Love. I first got hooked on Phantogram during their Don't Move days -- so this is a bit of a transition for me. Your thoughts?

XMU had been playing "Black Out Days" for months. Perfect lead single. They've found a nice sound. It's just kind of frustrating when a new song grabs me. Then it turns out to be a 6 months or a year from the release of a full album. So, there's not a chance to hear more. This happened with Charli XCX and Pure Bathing Culture. It teaches you to be patient.

Another new act out is Haerts. They've got a 4-song EP by download only (maybe vinyl too?). Full length album is supposed to be out, first half of this year. Really looking forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk52XHSpmF4

gilesfan
02-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Silversun Pickups
The Strokes

Are Broken Bells, White Stripes (Dead Weather), The Shins indie?

The Chosen One
02-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Broken Bells is on the radio alot. I remember high road is still on daily.

gilesfan
02-28-2014, 02:33 PM
My first listen to their new album and I thought it sucked. Gonna try again soon. I was really disappointed in them and Dierks new album.

gilesfan
02-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Modest Mouse?

gilesfan
02-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Top albums off the top of my head:

The Strokes- Is This It
The Shins- Chutes too Narrow
The Black Keys- Brothers
Animal Collective- Feels
The White Stripes- White Blood Cells
The Shins- Oh, Inverted World

Hawk
03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
The new Broken Bells is much better than their older stuff, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdvafn4GRg

I appreciate The Shins, although I guess they aren't Indie anymore. I saw then in concert the year Wincing the Night Away came out (2007). Sea Legs is one of my all-time favorite songs.

gilesfan
03-01-2014, 02:35 PM
The new Broken Bells is much better than their older stuff, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdvafn4GRg

I appreciate The Shins, although I guess they aren't Indie anymore. I saw then in concert the year Wincing the Night Away came out (2007). Sea Legs is one of my all-time favorite songs.

I like the new broken bells on 2nd and 3rd listen.

Built to Spill is one of my faves too

Knucksie
03-01-2014, 02:40 PM
A concert date was announced in town for Polica. Not going to miss them. For people who complain about ticket prices, indie represents some of the best value in music. Advance ticket prices are $14!

Hawk
03-01-2014, 02:44 PM
A concert date was announced in town for Polica. Not going to miss them. For people who complain about ticket prices, indie represents some of the best value in music. Advance ticket prices are $14!

A phenomenal deal for one of the best up-and-coming duos in the industry.

gilesfan
03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks for posting this. Indie Rock (garage), Classic Rock, and Country are the 3 types of music I enjoy the most. I have gotten away from listening to Indie, but this thread got me back into it.

There's Nothing Wrong with Love is what I'm hooked on right now.

Krgrecw
03-05-2014, 04:37 PM
The strokes are vastly overrated.. Good band than knows how to write songs.

gilesfan
03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
The strokes are vastly overrated.. Good band than knows how to write songs.

I only have the one album and it is fantastic.

Krgrecw
03-05-2014, 05:08 PM
I only have the one album and it is fantastic.

Ha. I meant underrated. Very Good band.

Knucksie
03-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Geting the I Break Horses new disc.

Previous views of this vid made me wonder what the deal was with the Bollywood footage. After watching it carefully, it made me realize what amazing editing was done. The scenes are in total sync with the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxlGaL807l0

Krgrecw
03-06-2014, 01:44 AM
Sparklehorse was a damn good indie rock band. Thier Good Morning Spider is the second best record I've ever heard.
It's good rockers, acoustic numbers, keyboard effects, and some simple to the point songs.

gilesfan
03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
I have heard good things about them, but never sit down and listen.

Band of Skulls is one of my favorite bands that no one really talks about. They are really simplistic, but good tunes.

Krgrecw
03-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Giles you have an Apple TV or ipad? Band of skulls is playing the iTunes festival next wed. it'll be streamed live on IOS devices. They are opening for Soundgarden who are playing Thier Superunknown CD, in honor of its 20th anniversary, in order.

I'll have to check out Band of Skulls. Thanks.

gilesfan
03-06-2014, 10:48 AM
I have both. What time does that start bc I really want to listen?

Band of Skulls gets a lot of criticism for their "simple and predictable" music. I don't care about that ****. I care if I like the sound coming through and I like Band of Skulls. They are kinda like a British cross between The Black Keys and Dead Weather. They are finally going to be headlining some shows and a new album releases April 1st.

gilesfan
03-06-2014, 10:49 AM
If I cant catch live, will I be able to check it out after the fact?

Krgrecw
03-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Apple will 'load' an iTunes SXSW app onto the Apple TV the day of the first concert or a few days before the 11th. Should be able to watch it on demand for a while or until the app gets pulled. Haven't seen any set times listed. The ipad/iPhone will just be an app you download from the App Store

Coldplay / Imagine Dragons / London Grammar
Tuesday, March 11

Kendrick Lamar / ScHoolboy Q / Isaiah Rashad

Wednesday, March 12
Soundgarden / Band of Skulls / Capital Cities

Thursday, March 13
Pitbull / ZEDD / G.R.L

Friday, March 14
Keith Urban / Willie Nelson / Mickey Guyton
Saturday, March 15

zitothebrave
03-06-2014, 11:29 AM
There are a ton of ****ty acts in the lineup.

I guess that's bound to happen though when you try to appeal to every demographic.

One thing I'm somewhat considering going to is Firefly in Dover. Mainly because of Outkast.

Krgrecw
03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
There are a ton of ****ty acts in the lineup.

I guess that's bound to happen though when you try to appeal to every demographic.

One thing I'm somewhat considering going to is Firefly in Dover. Mainly because of Outkast.

Hey. The bands play for free and tickets are free. Not all bands will play for free. Tickets are impossible to get. The bands play for 'free' is why Kanye West went on a tangent about Tim cook last week. Kanye is to good to play for free.

zitothebrave
03-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Hey. The bands play for free and tickets are free. Not all bands will play for free. Tickets are impossible to get. The bands play for 'free' is why Kanye West went on a tangent about Tim cook last week. Kanye is to good to play for free.

But the thing is that they could focus on smaller acts, not ****ty Keith Urban or Coldplay. Just another stage for ****ty bands I wish would go away.

gilesfan
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
But the thing is that they could focus on smaller acts, not ****ty Keith Urban or Coldplay. Just another stage for ****ty bands I wish would go away.

Then don't tune in.

Bc it's Apple, they could play ****ty Pearl Jam and you would complain about it.

zitothebrave
03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Then don't tune in.

Bc it's Apple, they could play ****ty Pearl Jam and you won't probably complain about it.

That last sentence doesn't make much logical sense.

Hawk
03-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Not to digress, but Coldplay is not ****ty.

zitothebrave
03-06-2014, 12:12 PM

:facepalm:

Krgrecw
03-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Coldplay is a good band. Chris Martin is a grade A songwriter. They owe Thier success to Apple. They play every event apple asks them to.

Hawk
03-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Geting the I Break Horses new disc.

Previous views of this vid made me wonder what the deal was with the Bollywood footage. After watching it carefully, it made me realize what amazing editing was done. The scenes are in total sync with the music.

I really like that music video, but I'm also a little obsessed with old school Bollywood.

"Weigh True Words" has been on my playlist for the past couple of weeks, but hadn't explored the other tracks from Chiaroscuro until your post.

Hawk
03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
:facepalm:

I can't help that they went mainstream, but Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are easily two of the best alt-rock recordings of all time.

zitothebrave
03-06-2014, 12:51 PM
I can't help that they went mainstream, but Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are easily two of the best alt-rock recordings of all time.

Imma let you finish, but that is one of the most absurd statements of all time.

Without thinking too hard

Nevermind, The Queen is Dead, Murmur, Doolittle, OK Computer, Joshua Tree, Ten, Kid A, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Downward Spiral, The Bends, Vs., Vitology, 13 Songs, In Utero, Nothing's Shocking, Superunknown, Badmotofinger, Violator, Remain in Light, Siamese Dream, Grace, or if you want to go out of the golden age of alt-rock and more recently Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Is This It, Sea Change, In Rainbows, Z, Funeral, Elephant, White Blood Cells, and lastly maybe my favorite of the last decade Good News for People who Love Bad News.

Coldplay could be worse, they could be nickelback, but yeah, they suck massively.

zitothebrave
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Coldplay is a good band. Chris Martin is a grade A songwriter. They owe Thier success to Apple. They play every event apple asks them to.

Ok I have to decide which is funnier, Fister>Shields or Chris Martin is a grade A songwriter.

Knucksie
03-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Some ear candy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F-bghLhWrg

Hawk
03-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Knucksie, do you use Spotify? Perhaps we could create a collaborative playlist.

holden
03-06-2014, 09:50 PM
My all-time favorite is probably Radiohead. I don't know if they count as indie anymore, but it's in the same vein.

If you don't like Vampire Weekend or Grizzly Bear, the problem is with you, not the band. "Hannah Hunt" is an incredible song.

Also, I really love Sparklehorse, and I love krgrecw for getting me into them 3 or so years ago.

Hawk
03-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Imma let you finish, but that is one of the most absurd statements of all time.

Without thinking too hard

Nevermind, The Queen is Dead, Murmur, Doolittle, OK Computer, Joshua Tree, Ten, Kid A, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Downward Spiral, The Bends, Vs., Vitology, 13 Songs, In Utero, Nothing's Shocking, Superunknown, Badmotofinger, Violator, Remain in Light, Siamese Dream, Grace, or if you want to go out of the golden age of alt-rock and more recently Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Is This It, Sea Change, In Rainbows, Z, Funeral, Elephant, White Blood Cells, and lastly maybe my favorite of the last decade Good News for People who Love Bad News.

Coldplay could be worse, they could be nickelback, but yeah, they suck massively.

I was going to respond to this at length, but musical tastes are so subjective I figured it wasn't worth the time. I appreciate a majority of the albums you listed, but would quibble about some of them (Nirvana, Soundgarden) being true 'alternative' rock listens.

But anyways, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEq8DBxm0J4

gilesfan
03-07-2014, 10:06 AM
I think you guys have different tastss than me for the most part, but I just stumbled across this group this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEA8-Rpy77g

Knucksie
03-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Knucksie, do you use Spotify? Perhaps we could create a collaborative playlist.

No, still a physical media guy, except for a Pioneer Inno. Statistically, I don't exist in the indiesphere: 40+ audiophile, who listens in on a home system. All of my exposure comes from XMU. Then will occasionally scan blogs (Gorilla vs. Bear, Hipster Runoff,Pitch4k) and UTube. Always glad to share some new finds here though!

Knucksie
03-08-2014, 09:20 AM
If you don't like Vampire Weekend or Grizzly Bear, the problem is with you, not the band.

Nobody's holding anything against the bands. They're just playing to different audiences. Not being 18 anymore, there's no urge to assert how my tastes are "better" than anybody else's. It's OK for bands to make music that doesn't appeal to me, because there's enough stuff out that will. Never going to begrudge anybody for liking whatever they want either.

So, having said that, there was A LOT of hype driving Vampire Weekend and Grizzly Bear. Definitely Tame Impala too ("one of the Most Important Bands of the Last Decade!"). All you have to do is look at the "Best of the Year" lists every December. Ever notice how the overwhelming majority of the same titles are on all of these lists? It's almost as if critics are thinking from the same brain. Why is that the case? Because they've become extensions of what Carles, from Hipster Runoff, calls The Corrupt Indie Machine. Even though these acts are posing as "Indie," they've still got backing and this is one of the tools for getting exposure and sales. This reached its apex with Lana Del Rey.

Let me chime in about Coldplay. They're not, by any means, Indie and never were. Maybe they were "Alt" when they've started, but they're firmly mainstream now with modern sound. Really like that new tune, and it's kind of unique to strip down the sound, but make it sound like remix without remixing it.

Anyway, I won a contest for their Townhall on XM. Got to hang out in the studio with them for 2 hours with the 19 other winners, who submitted questions. It was like a grad school course. Everybody had great questions and the band were locked in on giving detailed responses. Amazing experience overall. The band knows that there are people who do not like them. They're fine with it, and want to focus in on the fans who do. Anytime an artist gains huge popularity, he/she/they become a target - or is suddenly "uncool" to like. What is cool is that they're comfortable with the situation. Chris Martin said that their bass player is the only member who could probably make a living doing this outside of the band. The one thing that they do have, though, is chemistry.

With Coldplay, they probably alienated a large segment of their fanbase by doing a tune with Rhianna. Now's a good time for a change of direction. They've sold out hockey arenas and had top-selling albums and singles. So, they've earned the currency to take risks.

zitothebrave
03-08-2014, 09:36 AM
No, still a physical media guy, except for a Pioneer Inno. Statistically, I don't exist in the indiesphere: 40+ audiophile, who listens in on a home system. All of my exposure comes from XMU. Then will occasionally scan blogs (Gorilla vs. Bear, Hipster Runoff,Pitch4k) and UTube. Always glad to share some new finds here though!

Knucksie have you heard about Pono?

gilesfan
03-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Since I've been into playing some songs recently, what are some of your favorite songs to play?

Knucksie
03-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Knucksie have you heard about Pono?

Yeah, read about it in Neil Young's autobiography. He promoted it as having master tape sound. Supposed to finally launch soon.

zitothebrave
03-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Since I've been into playing some songs recently, what are some of your favorite songs to play?

You mean on guitar? One of the best, though not indie, I"ve done lately is Wagon Wheel.

zitothebrave
03-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah, read about it in Neil Young's autobiography. He promoted it as having master tape sound. Supposed to finally launch soon.

Yeah I'm really excited for it. I want to pick up a bunch of Rush, Floyd and Zeppelin when they finally release it.

Gary82
03-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Parachutes is a great chill album. I ****ing love Trouble. A Rush of Blood has some good tunes on it as well. After that, I stopped listening to them.

Gary82
03-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Anyone dig the band from Iceland, Of Monsters and Men? "Little Talks" is a good song, but they've got some other good tunes as well.

Knucksie
03-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah I'm really excited for it. I want to pick up a bunch of Rush, Floyd and Zeppelin when they finally release it.

Be cautious with Rush, as sound quality can be often be questionable. The mastering tends to use high compression and are LOUD. You don't want to experience ear bleed. The advantage of physical formats is having more options. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and Audio Fidelity have remastered some of the better-known titles. So, if you see torrents with those as sources, you're in good shape, because at least the MFSL come from the original masters. With Floyd, you're pretty safe, all around, as their recordings were consistently of a high standard. The '93 box set of Led Zep suits my needs fine, but there've been rumbles that another box set is on the way this year or next.

Krgrecw
03-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Listen to 'little talks' and 'home' by Edward Sharp and the Magnificent zeros. Same song to me

Gary82
03-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Listen to 'little talks' and 'home' by Edward Sharp and the Magnificent zeros. Same song to me

HEY!

Yeah there are similarities, but I love both songs. I guess that makes sense.

zitothebrave
03-08-2014, 10:51 PM

Want to hear the same song but slightly different, everything by Bright Eyes. So much of the same.

zitothebrave
03-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Be cautious with Rush, as sound quality can be often be questionable. The mastering tends to use high compression and are LOUD. You don't want to experience ear bleed. The advantage of physical formats is having more options. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and Audio Fidelity have remastered some of the better-known titles. So, if you see torrents with those as sources, you're in good shape, because at least the MFSL come from the original masters. With Floyd, you're pretty safe, all around, as their recordings were consistently of a high standard. The '93 box set of Led Zep suits my needs fine, but there've been rumbles that another box set is on the way this year or next.

Well don't want ears to bleed, but I do love my audiophile listening.

I will have to check out those Fidelity files. I love when I get my hands on some quality FLAC files. Pearl Jam used to (not sure if they still do) sell flacs of their concerts and they sounded amazing.

holden
03-08-2014, 11:43 PM
I get what you're saying about those bands having backing. And I like Hipster Runoff too. Regardless, they still make great music - earlier in the thread it seemed like you and others were acting like they were terrible and way overrated, and I just disagree with that. With some bands, I agree - I like Tame Impala, for instance, but I don't think they're as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Actually, I feel that way about Phantogram as well. A good band, but I don't understand all the hype. And the music is good but not revolutionary.

I do believe there is a way to have a discussion about the objective merits of certain music or certain bands in a critical sense, even if it's something you can't appreciate. Maybe Grizzly Bear is really just more meritorious than the other music that comes out in a given year, and a lot of critics agree with that. Similar to how you like Coldplay even though they're mainstream.. if it's good, it's good.

holden
03-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Also, I don't know if anyone else will remember this, but I really liked Left of Center (Sirius' old indie station, before the merger) much more than XMU. I still mostly like to XMU because it's the closest thing they have, but Left of Center appealed to my particular tastes more.

Krgrecw
03-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Giles the SXSW iTunes APP is up on the Apple TV so you can watch that band when they play.

zitothebrave
03-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Saturday will have the Pono questions answered when their kickstarter goes live

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/09/ponoplayer/

Player is expected to launch at 399.99 for 128 GB. Pretty steep.

Knucksie
03-10-2014, 07:39 AM
I get what you're saying about those bands having backing. And I like Hipster Runoff too.

It's about time for Carles to update the site. Think the latest update was from early November? He's a got a great thing going - to satirize the music that he loves. One thing we can all agree, even if we all love the same general scene - there's plenty about indie bands and fans to be satirized!

Regardless, they still make great music - earlier in the thread it seemed like you and others were acting like they were terrible and way overrated, and I just disagree with that. With some bands, I agree - I like Tame Impala, for instance, but I don't think they're as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Can't speak for others, but my only point was to differentiate the overhyped part with maybe overrated, as a consequence, while other deserving acts don't receive the same attention. Everybody's free to like/dislike what they want. The point of this thread is just for everybody to express their opinions. Discuss whatever you want. We're not here to say "the band sucks, and you suck if you like them." This should be beyond high school-level discussion.

If there's a band that you think is overhyped, say so. With Tame Impala, "Mind Mischief" was a pretty cool tune, but "Elephant" was played to death. If other people think that they're full of awesomeness, who are we to begrudge them. In 2012, XMU played just about every song off the Dirty Projectors album. Honestly, the dude, who leads them, has some talent as far as being the creative force, but to my mind, his vocals are substandard at best. Just my reaction. Loved the song that Amber did with Major Lazer through, "Get Free."

On the other side, there are acts that weren't given the superhype that were favorites of mine: Wild Nothing, Ducktails (although Real Estate gets ample attention) and Small Black. By the same token, it wouldn't have been some form of validation if these had been on all of the "Best of the Year" lists.

Actually, I feel that way about Phantogram as well. A good band, but I don't understand all the hype. And the music is good but not revolutionary.

They're not revolutionary, but this helps drive them:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/23/27/9e/23279e19b966c548b1250336711de8ba.jpg

http://kissesandnoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/phantogram_sarah_4_bw_kissesandnoise-300x200.jpg

Almost enough to make you forget the chick from Chairlift for a while!

I do believe there is a way to have a discussion about the objective merits of certain music or certain bands in a critical sense, even if it's something you can't appreciate. Maybe Grizzly Bear is really just more meritorious than the other music that comes out in a given year, and a lot of critics agree with that. Similar to how you like Coldplay even though they're mainstream.. if it's good, it's good.

Of course, just decide what you like and don't like, based on your own tastes. Critics can be a guide, just like what your friends like. In the end, it's up to you to decide how it sounds. Something may seem hot, at the time, and then in a few years, it might not hold the same appeal.

Sky Ferreria is another one. Thought "Everything is Embarrassing" was great. Finally got the EP. Decent songs with variety of styles. She can sing, that's for sure. As far as the full length album, there's nothing else on par with "You're Not the One." BTW, the recording is terrible - no midrange at all. Hipster Runoff used to player those songs regularly. Here's the thing: she got massive record company backing. She'd been scouted out since she around 15 years old with clips on MySpace.

rniki10
03-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I don't necessarily think Phantogram are amazing or anything, but "Fall In Love" is definitely my current favorite song. Kinda obsessed with it.

Knucksie
03-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Wasn't knocked out by the advance single from the new St. Vincent, but started warming up to it. Heard the second single off it this morning, and really enjoyed it. Probably will pick this up at some point.

Knucksie
03-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Cut Copy is going to be in town, one week from Tuesday. Getting tickets.

Hawk
03-16-2014, 03:42 PM
RE: Cut Copy

In Ghost Colours is one of my all-time favorite albums. Didn't like Zonoscope, but have been listening to a few tracks ("Footsteps" mainly) from their new album and it's not too bad.

Knucksie
03-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Need to start digging deeper into the work of Local Natives.

Knucksie
03-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Was up in Toronto over the weekend (no, didn't go to the Mets-Blue Jays game on Saturday). Big concert schedule. Would've wanted to check out Dum Dum Girls at Lee's Palace, but they weren't going to come on until 10:45pm, and had to be up in the morning.

rniki10
03-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Need to start digging deeper into the work of Local Natives.

Definitely one of my favorite bands. Favorite songs are "You and I" off Hummingbird and "Cubism Dream" off Gorilla Manor.

Hawk
03-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Going to see Tycho next month. Just trying to figure out which drug to obtain beforehand.

Knucksie
04-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Definitely one of my favorite bands. Favorite songs are "You and I" off Hummingbird and "Cubism Dream" off Gorilla Manor.

"Wide Eyes" caught my attention. Loved the story of the last album. They were working in a Brooklyn apartment above the guy from The National, who had a new baby with his wife. He kept calling them to see if they could play with a little less volume, so that the baby could sleep. The experienced inspried "Heavy Feet."

Knucksie
04-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Starting to like Interpol more and more.

Knucksie
08-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Caught Polica and Diiv this summer in separate shows at the same venue. Totally recommend seeing both acts!

Knucksie
09-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Foster the People outdoor show on Thursday for $15. Anybody seen them?

keithlaw
01-10-2015, 04:35 PM
I've started listening to more indie bands thanks to Knucksie's recommendations. My current favorite is Beach House. If you like Angelo Badalamenti's work, you'll like them. They even have Ray Wise in their Wishes video. I really like Motorama's Ghost too, but I haven't listened to anything else from them.

Gary82
01-10-2015, 09:29 PM
My current favorite is Beach House. If you like Angelo Badalamenti's work, you'll like them. They even have Ray Wise in their Wishes video.

Hmmmm

keithlaw
01-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Hmmmm

I can't believe we're getting a season 3

Gary82
01-10-2015, 11:36 PM
I can't believe we're getting a season 3

I feel lucky because I didn't watch the show until last year. I don't have the 25 year wait to suffer through.

Knucksie
01-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Springtime Carnivore. Think they're new? The music reminds me of the sound off the first Cults album, but the woman's vocals seem pretty distinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBH_7hvBu4

Could be one to watch.

Knucksie
05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Really itching to go to this festival:
http://www.osheaga.com/lineup/artists/#lineup

Hawk
07-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Knucksie

What are you listening to these days?

Have you heard the new Tame Impala album? I'm loving it -- from top to bottom -- a mix of Caribou/The Zombies/Gary Numan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTfYYRGTB3g

Knucksie
07-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Knucksie

What are you listening to these days?

Went for a lot of stuff from last year:
Got the Springtime Carnivore, War on Drugs, Warpaint, Alvvays and Yumi Zouma.

Got the new Courtney Barnett and will probably pull the trigger on the latest Best Coast. Saw Real Estate & Spoon live this summer.

Have you heard the new Tame Impala album?

XMU really pushes them. I liked one tune from the last one. The John Lennon vocals have been toned down to sound more natural. So, it might be worth listening with open ears.

jpx7
07-28-2015, 01:54 PM

How do you like them? I just downloaded their début album last week on a friend's suggestion.

Knucksie
07-28-2015, 04:13 PM
How do you like them? I just downloaded their début album last week on a friend's suggestion.

Really like Alvvays, but don't think that they have anything else as good as "Adult Diversion." They're going to be in Montreal, this weekend, for that Osheaga Fest. Will end up regretting not going. This fella, who owns a shop where I do most of my business (trading in used CD's) had seen them locally, opening for the Decemberists. Spoke very well of them, and was only familiar with them prior by ordering my disc!

Carles.buzz gave them a big push too. He thinks they're "auth."

Hawk
07-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Got the new Courtney Barnett and will probably pull the trigger on the latest Best Coast. Saw Real Estate & Spoon live this summer.

XMU really pushes them. I liked one tune from the last one. The John Lennon vocals have been toned down to sound more natural. So, it might be worth listening with open ears.

I didn't like their last album -- heavy on the spacey psych -- but found this go-around quite a departure.

I'm familiar with War on Drugs and Best Coast. Of course Real Estate and Spoon, will have to check out the others. I've fallen heavily into EDM this summer but have been trying to get back to Indie (preferably still mixed with Electronica) roots.

BTW, I went to Osheaga the past two years and would have gone again this year but am headed abroad for a while and couldn't make it fit into my schedule. Parc Jean Drapeau is really one of the most perfect spots for a festival in North America.

Knucksie
07-28-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm familiar with War on Drugs and Best Coast. Of course Real Estate and Spoon, will have to check out the others. I've fallen heavily into EDM this summer but have been trying to get back to Indie (preferably still mixed with Electronica) roots.

Further proof that Chillwave is done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTuT1s-YPLE

We'll get official confirmation when something new from Washed Out/Ernest Green comes out. That Neon Indian track is my nomination for 2015 summer song. Just seems right with the sun beating down.

Hawk
07-28-2015, 07:34 PM
Further proof that Chillwave is done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTuT1s-YPLE

We'll get official confirmation when something new from Washed Out/Ernest Green comes out. That Neon Indian track is my nomination for 2015 summer song. Just seems right with the sun beating down.

Yeah, I've been loving that track this summer too. Want more.

Did you hear the single he released on the Grand Theft Auto Soundtrack? It helps connect the dots between Era Extrana and 'Annie'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf0WbeOXRyY

I've traveled specifically to see Washed Out twice in Athens over the past six months -- both times completely mislead. It's just a 'DJ Set' and Ernest doesn't play ANY Washed Out or ANY electronica music. Last time it was some funky disco beats, not worth the ticket cost. People were pissed and screaming at him 'play your own music!' He didn't even acknowledge them.

The last Chillwavey thing I've heard is the latest New Division.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ae8_gdvr0

But, as you can hear, not nearly the same as Alan Palomo or Ernest in their heydays.

Knucksie
07-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I've been loving that track this summer too. Want more.

Did you hear the single he released on the Grand Theft Auto Soundtrack? It helps connect the dots between Era Extrana and 'Annie'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf0WbeOXRyY

Nice track. The next full length will be worth waiting for.

I've traveled specifically to see Washed Out twice in Athens over the past six months -- both times completely mislead. It's just a 'DJ Set' and Ernest doesn't play ANY Washed Out or ANY electronica music. Last time it was some funky disco beats, not worth the ticket cost. People were pissed and screaming at him 'play your own music!' He didn't even acknowledge them.

The last Chillwavey thing I've heard is the latest New Division.

About 2 years ago, there was a new band, called Small Black, who caught my ears. They're sort of the a leap from Chillwave to Dream Pop. Being a big fan of Wild Nothing made it easy to like them.

jpx7
07-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Alright—so a few of you guys obviously know a lot more about "contemporary" music than I do. It reminds me of my relationship with "new" music when I was 16-20; but around the latter edge of that range (so about eight years ago), I simply stopped pursuing "new" music. This was partially because driving stopped being my primary more of transportation; partially because I started listening to more "old" music (opera; 1920s–1930s blues and folk; 1940s–1950s country/western; doo-wop; hard-bop; late 60s/early-70s funk) that was nonetheless novel to me; and partially because who the hell knows why (probably laziness?).

So, those of you seem like you know what you're talking about (Knucksie, Hawk), or anyone else who thinks they know what they're talking about: what are three "contemporary" must-listens (album and/or artist) that you'd suggest?

Runnin
07-31-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't know Indie rock from Americana but I have recently been listening to a lot of Jason Isbell and Todd Snider. Here's a poem/tirade Todd Snider tweeted about Jason Isbell's new album reaching #1 on the Country charts. I found it hilarious.

Todd Snider
July 29 at 11:31pm ˇ

THE WAR IS OVER - A PRONOUNCEMENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF AIMLESS INC.

JASON ISBELL HAS THE NUMBER ONE RECORD
ON THE BILLBOARD
COUNTRY MUSIC CHARTS

I REPEAT
JASON ISBELL HAS THE NUMBER ONE RECORD ON THE BILLBOARD
COUNTRY MUSIC CHART
AND
NEVER THE LESS HE IS STILL
GATHERING CRITICAL ACCLAIM
TO RIVAL THAT OF ANYONE IN ANY GENRE
EVER

AND THAT MY FRIENDS
AT LEAST FOR ME
IS THAT

THATS WHAT WEVE BEEN WAITING FOR

THATS THE THING
"nashville"
WOULDNT LET ANYBODY DO.

WELL SOMEBODY DID IT

AND NOBODY STOPPED HIM

WITHOUT CHANGING HIS MUSIC
AND WITHOUT CHANGING HIS CLOTHING
JASON ISBELL

DID IT.

no more excuses folks
no more blaming music row
no more midnight good time picking parties
being ruined by the guy or girl who has to bring up
how uncool pop country music has become
o.k. nikki lane?
can we all get back to picking now?

what ever country music has become
how ever much you dislike bro country

ITS IS NO LONGER
STANDING IN THE DOOR WAY
OR
BLOCKING UP THE HALLS

NO MORE CALLS
WE HAVE WINNER
JASON ISBELL SAVED COUNTRY MUSIC
IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD
SO LET IT BE WRITTEN
SO LET IT BE DONE

AND NOW
ITS JUST LIKE YOKO ONO MADE JOHN SAY TO ALL OF US

THE WAR IS OVER IF YOU WANT IT

LET US REJOICE
IN PEACE
IN THE NAME OF BROCEPHUS
AMEN

written with authority by tommy noble
president
aimless inc.

@jasonisbell Thirty Tigers ‪#‎jasonisbell‬

jpx7
07-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Isbell is good, but I like his work with Drive-By Truckers better than his solo stuff.

Knucksie
08-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Good post!

Alright—so a few of you guys obviously know a lot more about "contemporary" music than I do. It reminds me of my relationship with "new" music when I was 16-20; but around the latter edge of that range (so about eight years ago), I simply stopped pursuing "new" music.

This is normal probably for most people. They identify mostly with the music that they grew up on, generally teen years/early 20's.

This was partially because driving stopped being my primary more of transportation; partially because I started listening to more "old" music (opera; 1920s–1930s blues and folk; 1940s–1950s country/western; doo-wop; hard-bop; late 60s/early-70s funk) that was nonetheless novel to me; and partially because who the hell knows why (probably laziness?).

It definitely requires effort. That's why Sirius XM is worth paying for the service. Granted, XMU is getting more restricted in their playlists, and eliminating songs after being out more than a few months. Like you, I go backwards as well, because of being an audiophile. That could include jazz. Since you mentioned hard bop, got Miles Davis - Complete Blue Note recordings on Blu Ray audio just last week and then Joe Walsh - So What on Audio Fidelity SACD just yesterday. So, there's a lot of excellent hi rez music being released. It's definitely more likely that Sinatra or Nat King Cole will be playing over Saturday dinner than Arcade Fire!

So, those of you seem like you know what you're talking about (@<a href="http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/member.php?u=114" target="_blank">Knucksie</a>, @<a href="http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/member.php?u=266" target="_blank">Hawk</a>), or anyone else who thinks they know what they're talking about: what are three "contemporary" must-listens (album and/or artist) that you'd suggest?

Will just rattle off a list of favorites. So, it may or may not be construed as a recommendation. When it comes to music, people can like/dislike whatever they wish. If they like some of my stuff, excellent. If not, that's fine too. (Interestingly, the neighbors tend to like my choices.)

Personal favorites are: Wild Nothing, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cults, Diiv, St. Vincent and Small Black. (Have seen all but Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Small Black perform live.) Think that Real Estate is a bit overrated, but really love lead guitarist Mat Mondanaille's side project, Ducktails.

For websites, Pitchfork and if you don't mind his style, Carles.buzz (formerly of Hipster Runoff).

Here's another new tune that seems nice for summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOoNlD_bNg

One caution, though, is that quite of few of these new artists put out one great track and the remainder of their material fails to approach that standard. Over 4 years ago, there was a group, called Givers from Louisiana. (Even Neil Young praised them in his book, more than once.) That song, "Up Up Up" was a killer track. Some local in the comments section posted that it was just one song. He was right! Same for Sleeper Agent with "Waves."

jpx7
08-01-2015, 04:01 PM
That could include jazz. Since you mentioned hard bop, got Miles Davis - Complete Blue Note recordings on Blu Ray audio just last week

Davis is obviously a giant. I'm a big Lee Morgan fan, as well.

Personal favorites are: Wild Nothing, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cults, Diiv, St. Vincent and Small Black. (Have seen all but Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Small Black perform live.) Think that Real Estate is a bit overrated, but really love lead guitarist Mat Mondanaille's side project, Ducktails.

Familiar with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs; already a fan of St. Vincent. Any specific first-listen albums you'd recommend for the other names you listed?

Knucksie
08-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Familiar with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs; already a fan of St. Vincent. Any specific first-listen albums you'd recommend for the other names you listed?

Gladly. The last Yeah Yeah Yeahs was recorded really well. Came out about 2 years ago, called Mosquito. "Sacrilege" was something new/different for them.

For Wild Nothing, Nocturne is the finest effort, but there's some great stuff before and after.

Their signature tune, "Shadow":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xTXB30hCQ

It really gets under my skin (in the best possible way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm636VSQXUU

This version did not appear on the album.

Diiv are on the same label as Wild Nothing. They only have one full length out, called Oshin. Maybe a new album by end of the year.

Their signature tune, "Doused":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnV-uhvOA5A

The Diiv tune is good at high volume too.

For Ducktails, The Flower Lane. At the CD release party in Brooklyn, the whole album was performed in its entirety. Sound must not have good, because the performance was off. It's unique, because practically everybody, who was involved in the initial recording, appeared at the concert.

This isn't the best way to experience it, but including it anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOk5TiR88xs

This is the tune, which first grabbed my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqsMJy5HeI

The album features a lot of different styles. This will help explain my preference of this over Real Estate, who don't vary in style much, if at all. Had a very positive encounter with Matt Mondanaille after the Real Estate concert too.

Cults debut is self-titled. It's girl group retro vocals with a lot of reverb on the voice & guitar. Saw them twice. Love them.

Think that Small Black only has one album out, Limits of Desire. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx0M9dBeRhg

(The album cover wasn't my idea!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm636VSQXUU

"Paradise," featuring Michelle Williams. Believe she also directed the vid. Personal bias: some of this was filmed near my hometown. You'll recognize Niagara Falls.

Hawk
08-01-2015, 07:28 PM
A tough order, but I chose three that I view as having heavily influenced their respective genres as well as having acted, at one time or another, as the soundtrack to my own life:

1) Washed Out - Life of Leisure (Chillwave/Electronica -- no words, really ... one of my favorite albums of all-time ... both ethereal and profoundly grounding)
2) Hot Chip - One Life Stand (British Electropop -- maybe a bit kitsch, but one of the first real blends of Alternative Euro Pop and Electronica)
3) Caribou - Our Love (Dance Psychedelic Alternative Electronic ... if you like him, then you've got to listen to Swim, and Andorra, in order -- incredible, versatile, constantly evolving)

Honorable mentions:
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Memory Tapes - Seek Magic
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend
Tycho - Dive

(Chose a 10 year window for 'contemporary' -- but most are from within the past ~5 years).

jpx7
08-02-2015, 02:08 PM
A tough order, but I chose three that I view as having heavily influenced their respective genres as well as having acted, at one time or another, as the soundtrack to my own life:

1) Washed Out - Life of Leisure (Chillwave/Electronica -- no words, really ... one of my favorite albums of all-time ... both ethereal and profoundly grounding)
2) Hot Chip - One Life Stand (British Electropop -- maybe a bit kitsch, but one of the first real blends of Alternative Euro Pop and Electronica)
3) Caribou - Our Love (Dance Psychedelic Alternative Electronic ... if you like him, then you've got to listen to Swim, and Andorra, in order -- incredible, versatile, constantly evolving)

Honorable mentions:
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Memory Tapes - Seek Magic
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend
Tycho - Dive

(Chose a 10 year window for 'contemporary' -- but most are from within the past ~5 years).

Already really enjoy Demon Days, but that album of course just barely fits into your ten-year umbrella. I'll start investigating the other suggestions, though, once I've processed Knucksie's gracious list.

holden
08-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Late on this, but Sufjan's latest album is incredible. His best yet IMO.

"Sparks," the track off Beach House's upcoming album, is also fantastic and makes me excited to see what they have in store.

holden
08-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Also, I saw Neutral Milk Hotel in concert earlier this summer and it was amazing. Probably still my favorite band/album ever.

Knucksie
08-20-2015, 11:03 AM
A plethora of indie acts to choose from this fall:

http://www.tralfmusichall.com/

Bully
Lower Dens
In the Valley Below
Neon Indian

jpx7
08-20-2015, 09:46 PM
Like Ducktails the best, so far, amongst Knucksie's suggestions.

Any of you all listen to The Dodos? They're hardly new, but they just crossed my radar; I am really enjoying 'Visiter' at the moment.

Knucksie
08-21-2015, 06:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7LLBBGOfKY

Knucksie
08-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Added the Michelle Williams vid for Wild Nothing "Paradise" on previous page. That version isn't available on the album (don't ask me why not). It's saved on my Pioneer Inno though, since XMU played it practically constantly.

Krgrecw
08-22-2015, 09:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7LLBBGOfKY

Actually a good song. I've usually shied away from bands with female singers

Knucksie
08-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Actually a good song. I've usually shied away from bands with female singers

Female voices have been pretty prominent in the indiesphere over the past few years. (Might give me an idea to share some prime examples.) Not matter who's leading the charge, they still have to deliver the goods.

Nevertheless, this tune has my attention and would like to hear more. Their local date is on Saturday and only $10 advance. Sometimes, there are still people who complain about concert ticket prices. This is the best value for the entertainment dollar. Even if it's not to one's liking, what did you lose?
jpx7

The Dodos are on the itinerary for October. (See the link post# 102).

Knucksie
08-23-2015, 06:36 PM
As promised, here's a list of every indie artist with a female vocalist, who's been on my radar screen over the last 5 years. This was never intentional. It was actually Jeff, the shop owner mentioned to me once that I have shown a lot of interest in female vocalists. So that this information any way you like. If anybody's curious for more detail, just post a message and we can get more vids included here.

Purity Ring
Sharon Van Etten
Haerts
Pure Bathing Culture
Grimes *
Lykke Li *
Charli XCX (before she went lamestream...but do kinda like "Boom Clap") *
Sky Ferreira *
St. Vincent *
Bat for Lashes *
Friends *
Phantogram *
Polica
Tennis
Dum Dum Girls
Zola Jesus
Chairlift *
Cults
Frankie Rose
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Tegan and Sara
Gang Gang Dance

* indicates extra hot indie chick eye candy

Knucksie
09-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Brand spanking new Small Black. Comes with my HIGHEST possible recommendation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJHtJWGFCQ

Hawk
10-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Knucksie http://www.npr.org/2015/10/12/445367719/first-listen-neon-indian-vega-intl-night-school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5XEgo_taDjc3HRXrnyHxkKHXYJMkw89R&t=203&v=jzg5aq7_UVA

Knucksie
10-14-2015, 11:24 AM
This new act, Day Wave, is kind grabbing my attention. It's one guy, like Wild Nothing, but he hires other musicians to tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOoNlD_bNg

Knucksie
12-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Both Diiv and Wild Nothing (a couple of favorites) have new albums coming out on Captured Tracks label this coming February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_9uS39YHyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVwA4XCDeM

Knucksie
12-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Empress Of (Lorely Rodriguez) cover of The Weeknd's "I Can't Feel My Face":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98tc5vKegg

Knucksie
01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
My nomination for Song of the Year...and it's still only January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hemIjEd9CYk

Knucksie
03-11-2016, 06:38 PM
Producer The Range pieced together unknowns from YouTube vids to achieve something truly brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqb7MFivis

jpx7
05-11-2016, 03:12 PM
As promised, here's a list of every indie artist with a female vocalist, who's been on my radar screen over the last 5 years. This was never intentional. It was actually Jeff, the shop owner mentioned to me once that I have shown a lot of interest in female vocalists. So that this information any way you like. If anybody's curious for more detail, just post a message and we can get more vids included here.

Purity Ring
Sharon Van Etten
Haerts
Pure Bathing Culture
Grimes *
Lykke Li *
Charli XCX (before she went lamestream...but do kinda like "Boom Clap") *
Sky Ferreira *
St. Vincent *
Bat for Lashes *
Friends *
Phantogram *
Polica
Tennis
Dum Dum Girls
Zola Jesus
Chairlift *
Cults
Frankie Rose
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Tegan and Sara
Gang Gang Dance

* indicates extra hot indie chick eye candy

Petition to add Rubblebucket.

Knucksie
05-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Petition to add Rubblebucket.

Just got the new Sunflower Bean (phenomenal!) but not totally sure if the vocalist eye candy. She might be, and may regret not going to see them in town last Sunday. Also need to scoop up the Silversun Pickups from last year.

Knucksie
07-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Caught Yumi Zouma (vid posted earlier in this thread) last month up in Toronto at a primo indie destination, called The Garrison. They have a Mexican cantina in the front with very impresive bar up front, featuring respective selection of Scotch (Glenfiddich, the Glenlivet) and quite an assortment of imported bottled and kegged beer (Pilsener Urqell on tap!). The female bartender seemed impressed at my coming up the QEW. I told her that this place fills a void that we do not have back home.

Unfortunately, one of our local establishments, The Tralf, did not feature its #summerofindie this year, as it had over the last 3 summers. All is not lost though. Their booking agent has been sending acts to other venues, and a fine double bill is set for Sunday, August 7 at the Tralf. Sunflower Bean opening for Best Coast.

bravos4evr
07-07-2016, 01:24 PM
I used to be a skater and all into indie music, but after the hipster thing took over I found that awesome bands like The Jesus Lizard, The Laughing Hyenas and Mule got replaced by lame shoegazey crap that seems designed to show everyone how cool and disinterested they are.

that and i got old

Knucksie
09-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Got the new Local Natives yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOCOOOZyNo

Knucksie
11-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Embarrassment of riches. Was all set for Day Wave at the Garrison in Toronto for this Friday night. Then Small Black and Wild Nothing got booked for at The Great Hall also in Toronto on same night. Love the Garrison but this was an easy choice.