Johnson, C, 3B
Uggla, DH
Simmons, A, SS
Terdoslavich, LF
Constanza, CF
Beachy P

Braves1976
02-28-2014, 06:33 PM
1-0 Braves after first, Braves scored on a bases loaded walk by Uggla.

BremanFan88
02-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Bases loaded with no outs turned to bases loaded two outs until Uggla took one of those base on balls to drive in the first run of the game.

Braves1976
02-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Bases loaded with no outs turned to bases loaded two outs until Uggla took one of those base on balls to drive in the first run of the game.

True, but the only hit was an infield hit. Harrell's issue was not throwing strikes. Plus CJ had a bad strike three call go against him according to the announcers.

stpeteirish
02-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Beachy didn't make it out of inning two. Gave up 5 hits in 1 2/3.

Julio3000
02-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Peter Moylan in for the 'Stros.

Dalyn
02-28-2014, 07:27 PM
1-0 Braves after first, Braves scored on a bases loaded walk by Uggla.

http://miista.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/owl-eyes.jpg

AUTiger7222
02-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Dan Uggla has a perfect spring going. 2-for-2 on Wed. and tonight he's got 2 walks (one with bases loaded) and a sac fly.

AUTiger7222
02-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Todd Cunningham hit a homerun. I'm really hoping he can land that last OF job away from Jordan Schafer.

chopdrew
02-28-2014, 10:36 PM
If nothing else, Uggla appears to be seeing the ball much better.

rico43
02-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Breaking down the box:

Does Schafer have to worry about Cunningham? I'd say definitely, based on the first three games. Schafer can't make contact, while Cunningham today was 2-for-2 with a homer, a walk, a stolen base and an outfield assist. He's also worked out at second and third.

Uggla had two walks and a sac fly and is still perfect this spring. La Stella 1-for-3 with a walk.

Freeman 2-for-2 with a double, walk and RBI. He's ready.

How about JoeyT? three walks, stolen base today, run scored. played both left and right.

Two pitching concerns on which many things hinge: Beachy unable to make it through two innings, allowing five hits (two runs, earned) with a walk and a strikeout.
Graham (uh-oh) unable to finish one inning, three hits, walk, two runs
Walden (uh-oh) two hits, two runs in one inning (walk, two doubles)
PLUS: Ian Thomas strikes out the side in his inning. Kimbrel one hit, two Ks in his middle inning appearance. Cory Gearrin also perfect coming in to bail out Beachy.

zitothebrave
02-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Personally I'm not sold on Schafer, I know people are high on him because of his hot streak last year, but I think he's at best a mediocre bench player. If we can spin him to someone to save 500K and put that on a reliever I'd gladly do that.

I like Cunningham, if I had total control over the team and options weren't a factor he'd be starting out in thebigs with Schafer in the minors. They may both make the team though. JMO it's a battle between Pastor and Cunningham as long as they don't choke for th elast bench spot.

AUTiger7222
02-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Breaking down the box:

Does Schafer have to worry about Cunningham? I'd say definitely, based on the first three games. Schafer can't make contact, while Cunningham today was 2-for-2 with a homer, a walk, a stolen base and an outfield assist. He's also worked out at second and third.

Uggla had two walks and a sac fly and is still perfect this spring. La Stella 1-for-3 with a walk.

How about JoeyT? three walks, stolen base today, run scored. played both left and right.

Two pitching concerns on which many things hinge: Beachy unable to make it through two innings, allowing five hits (two runs, earned) with a walk and a strikeout.
PLUS: Ian Thomas strikes out the side in his inning. Kimbrel one hit, two Ks in his middle inning appearance. Cory Gearrin also perfect coming in to bail out Beachy.

I think it's far too early to worry about guys who were making their first appearance of the spring. If it's March 20th and Beachy and Walden are still struggling then I'll start to get concerned, but not before that time.

AUTiger7222
02-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Personally I'm not sold on Schafer, I know people are high on him because of his hot streak last year, but I think he's at best a mediocre bench player. If we can spin him to someone to save 500K and put that on a reliever I'd gladly do that.

I like Cunningham, if I had total control over the team and options weren't a factor he'd be starting out in thebigs with Schafer in the minors. They may both make the team though. JMO it's a battle between Pastor and Cunningham as long as they don't choke for th elast bench spot.

Schafer was terrible after that ankle injury. He went back to being the guy the Braves and Astros both got rid of.

.176/.252/.213 (.465) - 121 PA, 108 AB, 10 R, 19 H, 2 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 7 RBI, 11 BB, 38 SO, 13 SB, 3 CS

And remember we could have benefited from him doing good after Heyward got hit in the face. But Schafer got to start a lot when Heyward was out and did nothing.

Heyward
03-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Dan Uggla has a perfect spring going. 2-for-2 on Wed. and tonight he's got 2 walks (one with bases loaded) and a sac fly.

Time to trade him.

Heyward
03-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Bench will be, this i think..

Pena
Laird
Doumit

2 of Schafer/Terdo/Cunnigham/Lastella.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 02:26 AM
Bench will be, this i think..

Pena
Laird
Doumit

2 of Schafer/Terdo/Cunnigham/Lastella.

I would carry Laird, Doumit, Pena, Pastornicky and Cunningham on my bench. I would choose Terdoslavich but he and Doumit are redundant players. Pastor can play anywhere in a pinch so he gets the leg up in my book.

BremanFan88
03-01-2014, 04:52 AM
La Stella with a hit and a walk. Pretty typical game for him.

clvclv
03-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Breaking down the box:

Uh-ohs following first appearances? Seriously???

Most guys are doing very little other than working on fastball location and are on strict pitch counts at this point. Chris Sale didn't make it out of the third against the Dodgers yesterday. The difference? Location. Sale got through 2.2 innings on 42 pitches.

I'll start to worry if any of our starters are struggling in 2 weeks or so. I don't ever look at results before they get up to the 80 pitch range.

clvclv
03-01-2014, 09:56 AM
I would carry Laird, Doumit, Pena, Pastornicky and Cunningham on my bench. I would choose Terdoslavich but he and Doumit are redundant players. Pastor can play anywhere in a pinch so he gets the leg up in my book.

Personally have to think the "ideal" bench would be...

Laird
Doumit
Pena
Cunningham
Terdoslavich

Of course that's assuming Cunningham proves remotely adequate at 2B or 3B.

Laird - C/PH
Doumit - PH/RF/C/1B
Pena - PH/2B/3B/SS
Cunningham - PH/CF/LF/RF/2B/3B
Terdoslavich - PH/LF/RF/1B/3B (in a pinch)

Having three switch-hitters on the bench would be awesome - possibly an even bigger advantage than having three lefties in the pen or three Cs on the roster IMO.

50PoundHead
03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Breaking down the box:

Holy small sample size Batman!

I am worried we are going to go 0-162 (plus all the winless games in spring training)!

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
In terms of how they project offensively, there isn't much to choose from between Schafer, Cunningham and Constanza. You have to look at other elements to try to pick between the three and they each have arguments in their favor.

For Schafer, the arguments in his favor are that he is the best defensive outfielder of the three and the best base runner.

Constanza is the third best defensively of the three and second best base runner. What he has in his favor is an uncanny ability to come through in big moments.

Cunningham's advantage is the ability to fill in as an infielder if necessary. I also like the fact he is a switch hitter.

I believe Schafer is the only one of the three out of options and that might be the deciding factor at the end of spring training in terms of which one makes the team. I do think there is a chance that two of these players makes the team, depending on how they stack up relative to Joey T and Pastornicky.

stpeteirish
03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
In terms of how they project offensively, there isn't much to choose from between Schafer, Cunningham and Constanza. You have to look at other elements to try to pick between the three and they each have arguments in their favor.

For Schafer, the arguments in his favor are that he is the best defensive outfielder of the three and the best base runner.

Constanza is the third best defensively of the three and second best base runner. What he has in his favor is an uncanny ability to come through in big moments.

Cunningham's advantage is the ability to fill in as an infielder if necessary. I also like the fact he is a switch hitter.

I believe Schafer is the only one of the three out of options and that might be the deciding factor at the end of spring training in terms of which one makes the team. I do think there is a chance that two of these players makes the team, depending on how they stack up relative to Joey T and Pastornicky.

Schafer's also the only one on a Major League contract so when you drop him you still have to pay him. Not big $ but I'm sur its a factor.

Think there's room for two of the three actually. And all three will spend some time in the majors in all likeyhood. Cunningham and Costanza can go back and forth as many times as the team wants.

50PoundHead
03-01-2014, 11:24 AM
I think the problem with Schafer is that he may be one of those guys who fits the tautology of "he needs to have consistent playing time to be good, but he's not consistently good enough to merit the playing time." He can be a spark plug in doses and the guy is a tremendous defensive outfielder and base-runner, but his contact skills are really lousy.

Curious to see if (and how much) playing time in the IF Cunningham gets. If he could play a passable 2B or 3B, that would help him tremendously.

Put me in the column of never wanting Constanza to get another major league AB in a Braves' uniform.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I think the problem with Schafer is that he may be one of those guys who fits the tautology of "he needs to have consistent playing time to be good, but he's not consistently good enough to merit the playing time." He can be a spark plug in doses and the guy is a tremendous defensive outfielder and base-runner, but his contact skills are really lousy.

Curious to see if (and how much) playing time in the IF Cunningham gets. If he could play a passable 2B or 3B, that would help him tremendously.

Put me in the column of never wanting Constanza to get another major league AB in a Braves' uniform.

Schafer's problem is that he just sucks (at the plate).

I think Cunningham is MUCH better for the team, at this point. If things continue like they have so far, my prediction will pan out. Cunningham over Schafer.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 12:45 PM

I would like to see Schafer traded for a LHP. Even if you have to throw in Gearrin to get it done.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 12:47 PM
I would like to see Schafer traded for a LHP. Even if you have to throw in Gearrin to get it done.

But but Gearrin is one of my favorites. Can we trade Varvaro instead?

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Schafer's problem is that he just sucks (at the plate).

I think Cunningham is MUCH better for the team, at this point. If things continue like they have so far, my prediction will pan out. Cunningham over Schafer.

I'm curious how big a difference you think there is between Cunningham and Schafer. What kind of OPS are you expecting from them in 2014?

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 12:54 PM
But but Gearrin is one of my favorites. Can we trade Varvaro instead?

That works fine.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm curious how big a difference you think there is between Cunningham and Schafer. What kind of OPS are you expecting from them in 2014?

I think, right away, there is a difference of several hundred thousand. Cunningham can also play infield. His speed is right there with Schafer (better even), though Schafer is a more seasoned baserunner. Defense is behind (not much). Bat is ahead (maybe not much, but he makes consistent contact and lets his speed work for him).

The LHP I am interested in is Drew Smyly, but I don't think Detroit has any use for Schafer(it would take more, anyway, but he would also serve as rotation depth, which would be nice).

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I like Smyly too. Le Carré wrote a novel titled Smiley's People. I think he misspelt his name.

clvclv
03-01-2014, 01:17 PM
I think, right away, there is a difference of several hundred thousand. Cunningham can also play infield. His speed is right there with Schafer (better even), though Schafer is a more seasoned baserunner. Defense is behind (not much). Bat is ahead (maybe not much, but he makes consistent contact and lets his speed work for him).

The LHP I am interested in is Drew Smyly, but I don't think Detroit has any use for Schafer(it would take more, anyway, but he would also serve as rotation depth, which would be nice).

You understand the reason they traded Fister was to create a rotation spot for Smyly, right???

9 Jordan Schafers don't get you Smyly.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 01:18 PM
You understand the reason they traded Fister was to create a rotation spot for Smyly, right???

9 Jordan Schafers don't get you Smyly.

We have more than nine of them, but that wouldn't get it done, either. I even said as much.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 01:27 PM
As I recall George Smiley vanquished Karla in the end. Very good novel. This thread is making me want to read some le Carré. Maybe I'll stop by the book store tonight.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Personally have to think the "ideal" bench would be...

Laird
Doumit
Pena
Cunningham
Terdoslavich

Of course that's assuming Cunningham proves remotely adequate at 2B or 3B.

Laird - C/PH
Doumit - PH/RF/C/1B
Pena - PH/2B/3B/SS
Cunningham - PH/CF/LF/RF/2B/3B
Terdoslavich - PH/LF/RF/1B/3B (in a pinch)

Having three switch-hitters on the bench would be awesome - possibly an even bigger advantage than having three lefties in the pen or three Cs on the roster IMO.

If Cunningham proves to be adequate at 2B and 3B then I agree with you. One of the reasons I wasn't a huge fan of the Doumit trade is because it kinda blocks Terdoslavich and I'm a huge fan of Joey T and what he could possibly do.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Holy small sample size Batman!

I am worried we are going to go 0-162 (plus all the winless games in spring training)!

I seriously thought about posting that.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 02:23 PM

I have been screaming this for 2 years now and keep getting verbally abused for it.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 02:26 PM
That kid, Chris Jones, that the Braves traded to the O's last year for Luis Ayala was just released by Baltimore. I don't know if he is hurt or what because he had decent numbers last year in the minors. But I agree that trading Schafer for a LHP in the pen would be ideal and I would gladly add Varvaro to make it work. A guy I like, that we wouldn't be able to get for Schafer and Varvaro is Jerry Blevins from the A's.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I have been screaming this for 2 years now and keep getting verbally abused for it.

No, you don't. There might be two people around here who advocate using Constanza, and they only want him used in September/October. Fredi is the only real fan. And maybe Constanza's mother.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Buchter has been shaky in his two outings so far. Wonder when Severino will get a chance.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 02:37 PM
That kid, Chris Jones, that the Braves traded to the O's last year for Luis Ayala was just released by Baltimore. I don't know if he is hurt or what because he had decent numbers last year in the minors. But I agree that trading Schafer for a LHP in the pen would be ideal and I would gladly add Varvaro to make it work. A guy I like, that we wouldn't be able to get for Schafer and Varvaro is Jerry Blevins from the A's.

Blevins would be nice. But he is with the Nationals now.

stpeteirish
03-01-2014, 03:02 PM
a lot of bad pitching so far. I think we've had a lead and given it up every game so far. Early, early spring, I know.

chopdrew
03-01-2014, 03:09 PM
When do we start to get a little optimistic about Uggla? Another RBI hit & walk today. I think his vision is MUCH better...

keithlaw
03-01-2014, 03:14 PM
When do we start to get a little optimistic about Uggla? Another RBI hit & walk today. I think his vision is MUCH better...

At the allstar break. Spring training performances are meaningless and a million times more so when its only 4 games into spring training.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 03:19 PM
No, you don't. There might be two people around here who advocate using Constanza, and they only want him used in September/October. Fredi is the only real fan. And maybe Constanza's mother.

I wasn't just talking about on this board.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Blevins would be nice. But he is with the Nationals now.

Really? I didn't know that. Ugh!

chopdrew
03-01-2014, 03:22 PM
At the allstar break. Spring training performances are meaningless and a million times more so when its only 4 games into spring training.

LOL. So we shouldn't be AT ALL optimistic that his vision appears to be much better than this point a year ago?

Why even have spring training, then?

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 03:25 PM

You must spend a lot of time with Fredi and Constanza's mother. :Alone:

thewupk
03-01-2014, 03:27 PM
LOL. So we shouldn't be AT ALL optimistic that his vision appears to be much better than this point a year ago?

Why even have spring training, then?

To have discussions like this. The telling thing for me will be his k%. With the Marlins he was at 22% most of the time and he was at 23% his first year in Atlanta. That spiked to 26% then 31% the next two years. If a month into the season he is in the 22-23% range then I will be very optimistic for the rest of the season. The same for his infield fly %. It's been 11%, 16%, 13% his 3 years here and he was never in double digits with Florida. So if he can lower the strikeouts and hit less popups he's going to have a good year. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 03:28 PM

You're a shark (coyote), aren't you?

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 03:43 PM
La Stella, Pena and Uggla a combined 5 for 7 so far today. Not too shabby for our weakest position.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Buchter, Varvaro and Lamm not helping themselves today.

thethe
03-01-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm happy for Uggla that he is having a good ST so far but man....Its time for some LaStella as long as he can adquately defend.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm happy for Uggla that he is having a good ST so far but man....Its time for some LaStella as long as he can adquately defend.

LaStella's defense has been a little rough so far. But it is early spring training.

thethe
03-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm surprised there isn't more outrage over Uggla seemingly getting the auto nod for starting secondbaseman like there is with Garcia getting the fifth starter spot.

BlackwaterPark
03-01-2014, 04:07 PM
uggla is hitting because pitchers are throwing mostly straight pitches at this point. he will look lost again soon.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 04:12 PM
uggla is hitting because pitchers are throwing mostly straight pitches at this point. he will look lost again soon.

Yeah, the real test is yet to come for Danny Boy.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Buchter, Varvaro and Lamm not helping themselves today.

Add Obispo to the list of pitchers who struggled badly.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 04:16 PM

Yep. Too early to get too excited about Uggla.

sentenza
03-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Ok! 15-16 after 6 is horrible!
Only good, that we will not see our "relief pitchers" when the season starts.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Pitching looks ready for the playoffs.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Pitching looks ready for the playoffs.

Sure does. But I'm worried about the hitting.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Sure does. But I'm worried about the hitting.

Me too. Too many selfish at-bats.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 04:49 PM
The only guy who's looked good today is Schafer.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 04:51 PM
The only guy who's looked good today is Schafer.

I know. He is showing the rest how to be a team player.

sentenza
03-01-2014, 04:51 PM
But 24 hits looks good. Everybody can hit today.

sentenza
03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Teheran looks good also.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 04:53 PM
But 24 hits looks good. Everybody can hit today.

Selfish at-bats. How many bunts? Moving the runner over? Sacrifices? This is a NL team acting like a spoiled AL team. Disgusting.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 04:55 PM
I know. He is showing the rest how to be a team player.

I think your comments motivated him. I tweeted them to him.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I think your comments motivated him. I tweeted them to him.

:happy0157:

Which ones?

nsacpi
Teheran looks good also.

His pitching looked a bit selfish to me.

nsacpi

Which ones?

The ones saying Richie Cunningham was better than him.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Middle of the game, and Schafer is twitting about Jennifer Aniston.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 04:58 PM
The ones saying Richie Cunningham was better than him.

"Let's get something straight right now, all right? The days when Schafer can come running in and solve all our problems with a few choice bunts are long gone! So why don't you get him to leave-a-mundo and let me take over."

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Severino with a 1-2-3 inning, helped by a double play. I think this team needs a pitcher named Atahualpa on it.

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Amazing comeback by the Gnats. They gonna be tough this year.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Ayala looked good. Must be injecting his medication now. Or snorting it. :snort:

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 05:17 PM
I like how Varvaro and Obispo made the most out of their one out. Way to get your work in!

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Ayala looked good. Must be injecting his medication now. Or snorting it. :snort:

He looked pretty good in the playoffs against the Dodgers too. I'd rather have him than Garcia.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 05:31 PM
He looked pretty good in the playoffs against the Dodgers too. I'd rather have him than Garcia.

Indeed. Garcia is making more, too. :facepalm:

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Amazing comeback by the Gnats. They gonna be tough this year.

Are you flipping serious? :facepalm:

nsacpi
03-01-2014, 06:22 PM

I take pre-season very seriously.

AUTiger7222
03-01-2014, 06:30 PM
I take pre-season very seriously.

Then I feel sorry for you. It must be tearing you to pieces that the Braves are 0-4.

Dalyn
03-01-2014, 06:36 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvixLth8jPjioo55gRjEHZIlEmckfin 4HScn-EBNyODFmnMGcS

NinersSBChamps
03-01-2014, 11:23 PM
So the Braves are on a 6 game losing streak now?

cajunrevenge
03-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Love hearing Teheran say he thinks he has improved his slider. The one knock he has is that he lacked an out pitch. Get on da bandwagon!

Heyward
03-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Then I feel sorry for you. It must be tearing you to pieces that the Braves are 0-4.

It hurts me too.

Trade Heyward/Kimbrel/CJ/JUp for prospects.

BLOW IT UP NOW!

Braves1976
03-02-2014, 12:51 AM

So you didn't catch any sarcastic humor in either of his replies I suppose?

AUTiger7222
03-02-2014, 01:34 AM
Love hearing Teheran say he thinks he has improved his slider. The one knock he has is that he lacked an out pitch. Get on da bandwagon!

Agreed. Lack of consistency with this slider is what was holding him back last year. If he can consistently get swings and misses with his slider then look out!

AUTiger7222
03-02-2014, 01:35 AM
So you didn't catch any sarcastic humor in either of his replies I suppose?

I guess you didn't get the sarcastic humor the response that you quoted?

Braves1976
03-02-2014, 02:33 AM
I guess you didn't get the sarcastic humor the response that you quoted?

If that was intended to be sarcastic humor, then I'd say it's back to the drawing board.

Bdawg2309
03-02-2014, 03:04 AM
If that was intended to be sarcastic humor, then I'd say it's back to the drawing board.

it was probably the "damn, i didnt know it was sarcasm...so i'll play my post off as sarcasm too" play

nsacpi
03-02-2014, 09:48 AM
So the Braves are on a 6 game losing streak now?

Awful isn't it. Meanwhile the Gnats look unstoppable.

Julio3000
03-02-2014, 10:09 AM

It's particularly scary when you consider that each Zombie Expo win counts as 2.

NinersSBChamps
03-02-2014, 01:08 PM

Yep it is. This core is locked up and they can't even win a game!

AUTiger7222
03-02-2014, 01:18 PM

So the second part of that post was not sarcastic humor?

AUTiger7222
03-02-2014, 01:18 PM
it was probably the "damn, i didnt know it was sarcasm...so i'll play my post off as sarcasm too" play

Whatever!

nsacpi
03-02-2014, 01:24 PM
1-2-3 first for Hale. 2 Ks. Astros announcers impressed by his changeup.

thethe
03-02-2014, 02:28 PM
1-2-3 first for Hale. 2 Ks. Astros announcers impressed by his changeup.

Hale is a legitimate back of the rotation type option for sure. Its very comforting how much depth the team has.

thethe
03-02-2014, 02:28 PM
LaStella with another double today. This kid HAS to be our second baseman real soon.

Julio3000
03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
LaStella with another double today. This kid HAS to be our second baseman real soon.

If he wants second base, he'll have to pry it from our cold, dead Dan.

thethe
03-02-2014, 02:36 PM
If he wants second base, he'll have to pry it from our cold, dead Dan.

Hopefully Uggla will continue his normal level play and absolutely suck for the rest of the spring because LaStella is our future there. At least until Peraza could potentially take over.

thethe
03-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Also, Alex Wood with a solid showing in his first ST outing. Its really awesome just how much young talent this organization has cultivated in the last 5-8 years.

Tapate50
03-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Also, Alex Wood with a solid showing in his first ST outing. Its really awesome just how much young talent this organization has cultivated in the last 5-8 years.

It really is impressive.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 03:17 PM
If someone has to go to the bullpen to give Garcia room in the rotation, I really wish they would send Beachy. Wood needs to start and Beachy needs to be handled with care.

thethe
03-02-2014, 03:29 PM
I'd rather just put Wood into.the rotation two months into.the season. Ultimately he will be one of our top 4 pitchers.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
I'd rather just put Wood into.the rotation two months into.the season. Ultimately he will be one of our top 4 pitchers.

To replace Beachy? Cause I have a terrible feeling that's as long as he'll last.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Martin is fun to watch. Promising command. I could see him having a long career as an innings-eater #4.

Heyward
03-02-2014, 03:43 PM
To replace Beachy? Cause I have a terrible feeling that's as long as he'll last.

Thats not good.

Heyward
03-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Hopefully Uggla will continue his normal level play and absolutely suck for the rest of the spring because LaStella is our future there. At least until Peraza could potentially take over.

How about a future infield of CB/FF/LaStella/Simmons/Peraza.

Heyward
03-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Hale is a legitimate back of the rotation type option for sure. Its very comforting how much depth the team has.

We dont have any pitching depth...

thethe
03-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Martin is fun to watch. Promising command. I could see him having a long career as an innings-eater #4.

He has been overlooked since he was drafted. All he has done is get people out.

Heyward
03-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Kevin McAlpin @KevinMcAlpin
Wood: "I'm coming here trying to win a job, plain and simple. Nothings been given to me" #Braves

Kevin McAlpin @KevinMcAlpin
Wood: "I just want to help this team win games and go win a World Series. Whether it's starting or in the pen I'm fine either way" #Braves

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 04:11 PM
He has been overlooked since he was drafted. All he has done is get people out.

Yep. I like him more than I like Sims. Two very different players. Hope they pitch here for a long time.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Doumit looks primed to be huge off the bench.

thethe
03-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Yep. I like him more than I like Sims. Two very different players. Hope they pitch here for a long time.

Really, Sims? Our #1 prospect?

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Really, Sims? Our #1 prospect?

Yeah. Not significantly more, but a little. I love the command. Sims will likely never touch it.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 04:18 PM
I liked Graham better than both, but the injuries have hurt him.

thethe
03-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Yeah. Not significantly more, but a little. I love the command. Sims will likely never touch it.

I've always been a big Cody fan but I can't compare the two. Sims could be an ace type pitcher while Martins ceiling is what you described.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I've always been a big Cody fan but I can't compare the two. Sims could be an ace type pitcher while Martins ceiling is what you described.

I think Martin's floor is not much lower than his ceiling (and if his cutter gets even better, he could be a solid #2). I think he'll be consistent and extremely valuable.

Julio3000
03-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Doumit looks primed to be huge off the bench.

I think we'll be glad we made that move.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Definitely.

rico43
03-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Breaking down SATURDAY Box (Sorry, this one took a while)

Hideous control problems were why Braves blew 14-6 lead. (Lamm, 3 BB in 0.2 IP; Jaime, 2 BB in his one inning and Obispo, 4 BB, 0 H (ugh) in 0.1 IP. Simmons blows another save, unable to clean up Obispo mess.

Varvaro, three hits, walk (four runs) in 0.1 IP. Teheran, only P with scoreless game (two IP)

OK, to quick to judgement on Schafer maybe, as he went 3-for-3 (two 2B)

Lipka must be hearing the talk that he is slipping off the board. Remarkable day: 3-for-6, 4 RBI, SB.
La Stella, 3-6, 2B, 3 R scored.
Uggla 1-2, BB, 2 R, RBI (he hot! he can't be stopped!)
Pena 2-3, 2 RBI (we will be VERY happy we have him)
JoeyT 1-3 (2B, natch)
Elmer Reyes 2-2, 2B, R, RBI, E
Constanza 2-6,. 2R, RBI
CJ 1-3, 2B, RBI
Mejia 2-3, R (no room for him, sadly)

SUNDAY box breakdown

(You gotta love spring ... 16-15 one day, 0-0 in 10 innings the next)

SPLIT SQUAD vs DETROIT
Lipka 1-3, BB
Freeman 2-3 (.500)
Constanza 1-2, BB
Uggla 0-3

10 shutout innings!
Thomas another scoreless inning (one BB)
Wood 2 IP, 3 H, 2 K, HBP
Avilan 1 IP, 0 H, 1 K
Harper 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
Rodriguez 2 IP, 1 H, 2 K
Gearrin 1 IP, 1 H

(only 2 walks allowed Sunday vs. Tigers)

SPLIT SQUAD vs. ASTROS (lost, 7-4)

La Stella 2-4, 2B, RBI
Schafer 2-3, 2B, R
Cedric Hunter (FA Cleveland) 2-2, R, CS
B. Upton 1-3, 2B, RBI
Pena 1-2, 2B, E (played SS)

Hale 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 K
Carpenter 1IP, 2 H, 1 ER

By the way, Count my vote for separate game threads.

AUTiger7222
03-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Braves are 0-5-1 now. How much longer before the negative nancies start jumping ship?

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Braves are 0-5-1 now. How much longer before the negative nancies start jumping ship?

Who gives a **** about the record in ST?

nsacpi
03-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Who gives a **** about the record in ST?

I do.

Dalyn
03-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I do.

http://replygif.net/i/203.gif

cajunrevenge
03-03-2014, 02:35 AM

As soon as we go do a run in the regular season. Then its back to "Braves better get their **** together cause the nats just won 2 games in a row and are about to go on a roll and roflstomp the league" posts.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Gnats won again yesterday.

thewupk
03-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Gnats won again yesterday.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/8143d8d8fd19b4336fef2ff672d49d8f/tumblr_inline_n1mzqxOvpr1r6lc2q.gif

50PoundHead
03-03-2014, 10:21 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/8143d8d8fd19b4336fef2ff672d49d8f/tumblr_inline_n1mzqxOvpr1r6lc2q.gif

I have only caught that show when my stepdaughter lived at home (thankfully, she graduated from college and is out of the house), but that guy always cracked me up.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Garcia making pitch. 2 strikeouts in the first inning.

I'm worried.

thethe
03-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Garcia making pitch. 2 strikeouts in the first inning.

I'm worried.

You're worried that we will have a quality back of the rotation pitcher for a month or two while Alex Wood is properly regulated?

I wouldn't be.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
None of our starting outfielders are hitting over .200.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
You're worried that we will have a quality back of the rotation pitcher for a month or two while Alex Wood is properly regulated?

I wouldn't be.

Oh, come on...

thethe
03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Oh, come on...

Quality back end of the rotation pitcher is a relative term. If he pitches to a 4.5 FIP (which I think is certainly possible) then we should be happy.

Again, this is just to regulate Woods innings.

Julio3000
03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
None of our starting outfielders are hitting over .200.

Dough Mitt gots all the hits.

Or, as Jon Miller would have it, DoughMEAT.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Quality back end of the rotation pitcher is a relative term. If he pitches to a 4.5 FIP (which I think is certainly possible) then we should be happy.

Again, this is just to regulate Woods innings.

Okay.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 01:59 PM

4.5 FIP is not something to be happy about. From my fifth starter I'd want something in the low 4s or better.

I agree with the need to keep Wood's innings to 180 or less. But I don't think Garcia is the best choice for starting when Wood is given some time in the pen. I would put both Floyd and Hale ahead of Garcia for that task.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Dough Mitt gots all the hits.

Or, as Jon Miller would have it, DoughMEAT.

I guess DogMeat and Garcia will be shouldering the burden for us.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Heyward doesn't look even close to ready. Glad the season is still a month away.

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:04 PM
4.5 FIP is not something to be happy about. From my fifth starter I'd want something in the low 4s or better.

I agree with the need to keep Wood's innings to 180 or less. But I don't think Garcia is the best choice for starting when Wood is given some time in the pen. I would put both Floyd and Hale ahead of Garcia for that task.

I have no clue but what was the average FIP for fifth starters last year?

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 02:04 PM
When are we gonna win a game?

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:07 PM
When are we gonna win a game?

Not sure but I know we will win the last game that is played in 2014.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Buchter REALLY wants Garcia in the rotation.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Not sure but I know we will win the last game that is played in 2014.

Will Fredi be the manager?

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
4 straight balls in ST...

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:12 PM

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:20 PM
If you're looking at mlb gameday it will list any walk as 4 straight balls.

thewupk
03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I have no clue but what was the average FIP for fifth starters last year?

Hard to really find out. There were 139 starters in 2013 that pitched at least 100 innings. Only 21 pitches had a 4.5 FIP or worse. So yeah that is on the bad end these days. I think the average FIP for starters last year was in the 3.95 range. I don't think Garcia would kill the team but there are likely better options. The Braves did survive 150 innings of Malhom and his 4.24 FIP last year. I don't think Garcia for two months as the 5th starter would be horrible since you can skip him every so often.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:24 PM
If you're looking at mlb gameday it will list any walk as 4 straight balls.

So he didn't?

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Hard to really find out. There were 139 starters in 2013 that pitched at least 100 innings. Only 21 pitches had a 4.5 FIP or worse. So yeah that is on the bad end these days. I think the average FIP for starters last year was in the 3.95 range. I don't think Garcia would kill the team but there are likely better options. The Braves did survive 150 innings of Malhom and his 4.24 FIP last year. I don't think Garcia for two months as the 5th starter would be horrible since you can skip him every so often.

Yeah, I'd imgaine that number is hard to quantify but since the fifth starter role is a revolving door for a lot of teams I'd bet that 4.5 FIP is a decent barometer to use.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:26 PM

This is why 4.5 would be terrible, and it is sad that some are hoping Garcia can even manage that.

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:28 PM
So he didn't?

That a mystery of hte universe that will never be answered.

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
This is why 4.5 would be terrible, and it is sad that some are hoping Garcia can even manage that.

I just don' tthink its worse than what the average would be for fifth starters.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
I just don' tthink its worse than what the average would be for fifth starters.

So you think the average 5th starter was worse than Maholm last year?

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:30 PM

Absolutely.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Team is gonna be really bad this year. Garcia. Dogmeat. Black holes in the outfield and second.

thethe
03-03-2014, 02:47 PM
LaStella walks against a lefty. Why wouldn't we want this guy to be our starting second baseman again?

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 02:59 PM
LaStella walks against a lefty. Why wouldn't we want this guy to be our starting second baseman again?

I think most people wanted Uggla traded. Since he wasn't, give him another month or two and bring Stella up once he's cheaper. If Uggla performed well, trade him for whatever. If he didn't, release him and hope to save the minimum when another team takes a chance.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Maybe we can trade La Stella and Garcia for a good sixth starter.

Btw I don't mean to be pedantic but it is La Stella not LaStella or Stella.

Millwood1Hitter
03-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Uggla is gonna mash this year, BELIEVE IT! Lima Time

Heyward
03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Heyward doesn't look even close to ready. Glad the season is still a month away.

Glad to see you're in midseason form already.

:Alone:

thewupk
03-03-2014, 03:14 PM

I would say so. Most teams don't even have 5th starters. It's just a revolving door with guys getting a few starts here and there. 187 guys 'started' last year and pitched at least 50 innings. Garcia is not a good pitcher. However I wouldn't be upset if he pitched for two months to limit Woods innings. I think keeping him in the rotation any longer then that would be a mistake.

thethe
03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
I would say so. Most teams don't even have 5th starters. It's just a revolving door with guys getting a few starts here and there. 187 guys 'started' last year and pitched at least 50 innings. Garcia is not a good pitcher. However I wouldn't be upset if he pitched for two months to limit Woods innings. I think keeping him in the rotation any longer then that would be a mistake.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMjRWge_k7veKIED0yw4hKDEWd2vMtZ j8qc4ruWQ__kWPomaqIaw

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 03:22 PM

2 months!?!? That would be a dozen starts or so. I don't think that would be a good idea at all.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:24 PM
2 months!?!? That would be a dozen starts or so. I don't think that would be a good idea at all.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMjRWge_k7veKIED0yw4hKDEWd2vMtZ j8qc4ruWQ__kWPomaqIaw

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Maybe we can trade La Stella and Garcia for a good sixth starter.

Btw I don't mean to be pedantic but it is La Stella not LaStella or Stella.

I know it isn't Stella. But I wanted to call him Stella. Stella!

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:29 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/a0/a07568b8281322a69e92d512a016b32ad43a43c39a0d89f2b4 f4937a1c8032f5.jpg

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 03:45 PM
We finally score. On a wild pitch. Could be the turning point in our season. Maybe the guys wills top pressing so hard now.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Cunningham didn't help his cause there. :Sad:

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Lipka is fast. If they ever allow players to steal first base, he'll be pretty valuable.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Matt Kennelly! Note the three pairs of double letters in his name. That's a very auspicious name. We need to call him up along with Atahualpa Severino.

thethe
03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
LaStella with 2 walks today. Geez.

I want the same Freddy Garcia sucks crowd to be outspoken against not starting Dan UGgla as well.

Yes I know, I am being inconsistent with this.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Speaking of the devil. Looks like he'll be pitching the ninth. Big save opportunity.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 03:54 PM

I want the same Freddy Garcia sucks crowd to be outspoken against not starting Dan UGgla as well.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.--Winston Churchill

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Hope Atahualpa Went The Little Green Frog doesn't blow our first win.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 03:57 PM

WHERE have you been? After three years, it gets old. We've all advocated getting rid of Uggla. What more is there to say? Uggla is signed to a huge contract. What excuse do the Braves have to play Garcia?

thewupk
03-03-2014, 04:00 PM

With off days Garcia could make 6 starts with Wood going into the rotation on May 30th. That's with giving everybody else 5 days of rest. Now to be honest I doubt this happens as Minor is going to be behind in his throwing program and could miss the start of the season by a week or so. And then Fredi could just pitch every and not worry about off days in regards to the pitching order. But Garcia could make a minimum of 6 starts for 2 months to limit some of Woods innings.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Hope Atahualpa Went The Little Green Frog doesn't blow our first win.

http://lifeuntelevised.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/frog1.jpg

thethe
03-03-2014, 04:01 PM
WHERE have you been? After three years, it gets old. We've all advocated getting rid of Uggla. What more is there to say? Uggla is signed to a huge contract. What excuse do the Braves have to play Garcia?

That the best option needs to be on an innings limit.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 04:04 PM
That the best option needs to be on an innings limit.

That's an excuse to put Wood in the bullpen. Shouldn't have a thing to do with Garcia.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Atahualpa and Buchter are doing their best to smooth Ian Thomas' path to the majors.

thethe
03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
That's an excuse to put Wood in the bullpen. Shouldn't have a thing to do with Garcia.

Then its preference between Hale and Garcia. I think Hale could use a little more time in AAA before we is relied on to be a starter at the major league level.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Then its preference between Hale and Garcia. I think Hale could use a little more time in AAA before we is relied on to be a starter at the major league level.

I have no doubt Hale would perform better than Garcia for a month or two.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Losing to the Mets and Astros. Not a good sign. At least the Gnats lost today.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Liberty needs to start spending more.

tvsportscaster
03-03-2014, 04:30 PM
I don't get all the hate on this board for Freddy Garcia, the Man has done nothing since signing with the Braves but pitch well and continues to pitch well and you guys is keep bitching and moaning about him. The Braves have bigger problems than worrying about a proven MLB pitcher in Freddy Garcia.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 04:32 PM
I don't get all the hate on this board for Freddie Garcia, the Man has done nothing since signing with the Braves but pitch well and continues to pitch well and you guys is keep bitching and moaning about him. The Braves have bigger problems than worrying about a proven MLB pitcher in Freddie Garcia.

What are those problems?

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 04:34 PM
I don't get all the hate on this board for Freddie Garcia, the Man has done nothing since signing with the Braves but pitch well and continues to pitch well and you guys is keep bitching and moaning about him. The Braves have bigger problems than worrying about a proven MLB pitcher in Freddie Garcia.

I love Freddy Garcia. I even spell his name correctly. But I don't want him making more than a spot start or two. I think we have better options.

tvsportscaster
03-03-2014, 04:43 PM
What are those problems?

2nd Base and CF

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 04:52 PM
2nd Base and CF

Okay. Nothing we can do about those. Why add an additional problem you didn't need to?

Bdawg2309
03-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Garcia can start for 2 months with a sub 2 ERA and get criticized on here

tvsportscaster
03-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Okay. Nothing we can do about those. Why add an additional problem you didn't need to?

If you want to complain about adding an unnecessary, then let's talk about Gavin Floyd.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 04:57 PM
If you want to complain about adding an unnecessary, then let's talk about Gavin Floyd.

Floyd is a MUCH better option than Garcia, but I certainly wish we would've spent the money elsewhere.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Anything can happen. But you have to make decisions based upon probabilities. And chances are Hale, Floyd and Wood would pitch better as starters than Garcia. So if you have better alternatives why use him as a starter.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 05:00 PM

That just isn't true. The plunking guy made four starts for us. FOUR. And you guys act like he is more that pitcher than the guy who made ten terrible starts for Baltimore last year or the guy who made seventeen equally bad starts for the Yankees the year before.

tvsportscaster
03-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Anything can happen. But you have to make decisions based upon probabilities. And chances are Hale, Floyd and Wood would pitch better as starters than Garcia. So if you have better alternatives why use him as a starter.

I guess you guys didn't see him pitch late last year with the Braves and go toe-to-toe in an elimination game against Kershaw, but I guess we aren't letting facts stand in the way of good ole fashioned hate.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 05:03 PM
I guess you guys didn't see him pitch late last year with the Braves and go toe-to-toe in an elimination game against Kershaw, but I guess we aren't letting facts stand in the way of good ole fashioned hate.

Please. Look at the facts. Please.

NinersSBChamps
03-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Braves have worst record in spring ball.

Heads need to roll!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zLeMcgeaW18/SSe_UkjEoFI/AAAAAAAAB9I/mq5o153WS18/s320/RollingHeads.jpg

BremanFan88
03-03-2014, 05:04 PM
What's the Nats division lead up to now?

thethe
03-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Garcia pitched in the AL his whole career and in hitters parks at the tail end. I think a haircut of his final few years is appropriate when you put him in our ball park with our defense.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 05:07 PM

And he didn't go toe-to-toe with Kershaw (even on short rest).

Kershaw = 6 innings, 3 hits, 2 UNEARNED runs, 1 walk, and 6 strikeouts

Garcia = 6 innings, 8 hits, 2 EARNED runs, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Garcia pitched in the AL his whole career and in hitters parks at the tail end. I think a haircut of his final few years is appropriate when you put him in our ball park with our defense.

A haircut still has him with over a 5.00 ERA.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 05:16 PM

rico43
03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Monday box (ANOTHER LOSS)

5 run in 9th allowed by Atahualpa Severino in 0.1 IP. Glad we won't have to learn his name. Lamm came on and allowed hit, but damage done. Last run driven in by former top Braves draft pick, Eric Campbell.

Kimbrel shutout inning

Schlosser two IP, 0 H, 1 BB. Told you guys. I told ya. I told ya.

Buchter continues to blow it. 1 IP, 2 BB, 1 H, 1 R.

Gattis (DH) 1-3
Doumit C 1-1, BB
La Stella 0-1, 2 BB
Heyward throws out runner at home for DP

Can't wait for first cutdown day.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Same could be said of Floyd.

The Chosen One
03-03-2014, 05:27 PM

Gavin pitched 3 years in Philly. :v

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Schlosser two IP, 0 H, 1 BB. Told you guys. I told ya. I told ya.

Schlosser is going to make it as a ROOGY, maybe a bit more. He's got the sidearm motion and not surprisingly pretty pronounced splits. Will follow in the Moylan and Gearrin mold. He might have a little more upside given that he has come through the system as a starter.

nsacpi
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Gavin pitched 3 years in Philly. :v

Freddy also pitched with the Phillies! Amazing parallels.

thethe
03-03-2014, 05:32 PM

I loved the Floyd signing. I think he will end up being in our playoff rotation if Wood's innings get out of control.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 05:46 PM
I loved the Floyd signing. I think he will end up being in our playoff rotation if Wood's innings get out of control.

Hope he has a more successful return than Beachy did.

stpeteirish
03-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Matt Kennelly! Note the three pairs of double letters in his name. That's a very auspicious name. We need to call him up along with Atahualpa Severino.

ugh. guess not.

Julio3000
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Have they put the magic number up at the park yet?

Heyward
03-03-2014, 06:39 PM
lol at Dalyn, holy over-reaction batman.

Garcia as the 5th starter is fine.

NinersSBChamps
03-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Yes. It's right next to OBP...

NinersSBChamps
03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Hope he has a more successful return than Beachy did.

How dare you!?!??

Beachy will be fine. His season ending surgery last season was "just a clean up."

We have nothing to worry about.

-Heyward

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
lol at Dalyn, holy over-reaction batman.

Garcia as the 5th starter is fine.

I said he sucks, and we have better options. How is that an overreaction?

Runnin
03-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Isn't his nickname Chief? That oughta count for something.

Heyward
03-03-2014, 07:30 PM

Like who?

Hale?

Wood who needs to be in the bullpen to watch his innings.

Heyward
03-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Mike Minor (shoulder) will throw his first spring training bullpen session on Wednesday.
Minor is behind the other Braves' pitchers due to some shoulder soreness, but he's coming along and has plenty of time to catch up. It's not clear when the left-hander will be ready for some Grapefruit League action, but he's not in danger of missing the start of the season as long as he can avoid setbacks.

Gavin Floyd (elbow) will throw live batting practice on Wednesday.
It will be the first time he's thrown to hitters since last May's Tommy John and flexor muscle surgery. Floyd has already thrown plenty from the mound and incorporated all his pitches, and this is the next step in the rehab process. The Braves are hoping he'll be ready to join their rotation in mid-to-late May.

Heyward
03-03-2014, 07:32 PM
How dare you!?!??

Beachy will be fine. His season ending surgery last season was "just a clean up."

We have nothing to worry about.

-Heyward

Beachy has made one start.

But yeah, he's done, should retire.

:Sad:

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Like who?

Hale?

Wood who needs to be in the bullpen to watch his innings.

How can you argue that we have great depth AND argue that we don't have a better 5th option than Garcia?

Hawk
03-03-2014, 08:40 PM

Gilesfan is burning the midnight oil to have it ready by the first televised game of ST.

AUTiger7222
03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Heyward
03-03-2014, 09:14 PM
How can you argue that we have great depth AND argue that we don't have a better 5th option than Garcia?

Wood is probably a better option now but i dont want him burned out by September.

Hale could be a better option, i like him but not the end of the world if he starts in Gwinnett.

Garcia as the 5th starter is not that big of a deal.

thewupk
03-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Mike Minor (shoulder) will throw his first spring training bullpen session on Wednesday.
Minor is behind the other Braves' pitchers due to some shoulder soreness, but he's coming along and has plenty of time to catch up. It's not clear when the left-hander will be ready for some Grapefruit League action, but he's not in danger of missing the start of the season as long as he can avoid setbacks.

Gavin Floyd (elbow) will throw live batting practice on Wednesday.
It will be the first time he's thrown to hitters since last May's Tommy John and flexor muscle surgery. Floyd has already thrown plenty from the mound and incorporated all his pitches, and this is the next step in the rehab process. The Braves are hoping he'll be ready to join their rotation in mid-to-late May.

So assuming everyone is healthy then who's spot does he take? Garcia and keep Wood in the pen? Beachy?

rico43
03-03-2014, 10:32 PM
So assuming everyone is healthy then who's spot does he take? Garcia and keep Wood in the pen? Beachy?

These things have a remarkable way of taking care of themselves. I credit Wren for the foresight of having a guy who can be an innings-eater the second half of the season.

AUTiger7222
03-03-2014, 10:52 PM
These things have a remarkable way of taking care of themselves. I credit Wren for the foresight of having a guy who can be an innings-eater the second half of the season.

Exactly. Just when you think you don't have enough pitching it's when it tends to rear it's ugly head and bite you. Floyd is a proven innings eater and if he doesn't come back until sometime in June then it's fine. Garcia starting for 2 months is not the end of the world. Paul Maholm was terrible last year and the Braves still won 96 games. At least give Garcia a chance based on what he did for the Braves last year. Who in the hell cares what he did for Baltimore? That means absolutely nothing.

Dalyn
03-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Exactly. Just when you think you don't have enough pitching it's when it tends to rear it's ugly head and bite you. Floyd is a proven innings eater and if he doesn't come back until sometime in June then it's fine. Garcia starting for 2 months is not the end of the world. Paul Maholm was terrible last year and the Braves still won 96 games. At least give Garcia a chance based on what he did for the Braves last year. Who in the hell cares what he did for Baltimore? That means absolutely nothing.

If what he did for Baltimore means nothing, then what he did for the Braves means even less than nothing.

mossy
03-04-2014, 12:50 AM
I dearly love spring. Spring training is wonderful, and real baseball isn't far away.

I simply want to enjoy whatever happens this year. If we aren't perfect, I simply don't care.

That said, I still have a hard time accepting Chipper is gone. We may never see another position player like him again in our generation.

jason27nc
03-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Are we going to ever win another ST game? I know they really don't matter and our starters are doing a good job but I hate losing at anything. Screw losing! Win the whole damn thing!

nsacpi
03-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Here is a reasonable plan for our starting pitching (which might or might not coincide with what the front office intends):

1) Begin the season with a rotation of Medlen, Minor, Beachy, Teheran Wood

2) When Floyd is ready move Wood to the pen for a month or two.

3) When injury/regression strikes someone in the rotation move Wood back to the rotation.

Of course no plan survives first contact with the enemy so you need fallback options when something unexpected happens. Hale is a good fallback option. Garcia is also nice to have. We already have an unexpected event with Minor possibly not being ready for the first week or two of the season. If he isn't I'm ok with going with Hale or Garcia as a fifth starter for a game or two. My view is that Garcia was signed with the idea that he would compete for a bullpen spot. But with Minor not taking his turn in the rotation so far in spring training he is being used as a starter. I think Garcia's ultimate role is as long man in the pen. His competition there is Varvaro and so far Garcia is winning that battle.

I do have a small worry that Fredi will give a bigger role to Garcia than he should. But I would put the odds of Garcia being in the rotation and Wood not at the start of the season as fairly low. We'll see.

Tapate50
03-04-2014, 09:07 AM
I dearly love spring. Spring training is wonderful, and real baseball isn't far away.

I simply want to enjoy whatever happens this year. If we aren't perfect, I simply don't care.

That said, I still have a hard time accepting Chipper is gone. We may never see another position player like him again in our generation.

This was a shameless plug to accumulate Thanks.

\Well played sir

AUTiger7222
03-04-2014, 12:43 PM
If what he did for Baltimore means nothing, then what he did for the Braves means even less than nothing.

It means nothing because it's not the Braves. Why is that hard to understand? Yes he blew chunks for Baltimore. Nobody is denying that. But he was great for the Braves. You're not taking into considering all the factors for why that may have been the case. Camden Yards is an extremely hitter friendly park as are all of the parks in the AL East. Turner Field on the other hand is a pitchers park, as is most of the parks in the NL East. Also Roger McDowell is a great pitching coach and clearly he and Garcia clicked last year. I wasn't thrilled with the signing of Garcia last year but he proved me wrong and I'm willing to give him a chance this year, especially when at worse it's 2 or 3 months. If the Braves can win 96 games with Paul Maholm throwing up a terrible ERA for 20 or however many starts it was the Braves will be fine with giving Garcia 10-15 starts.

Diesel
03-04-2014, 01:08 PM
It means nothing because it's not the Braves. Why is that hard to understand? Yes he blew chunks for Baltimore. Nobody is denying that. But he was great for the Braves. You're not taking into considering all the factors for why that may have been the case. Camden Yards is an extremely hitter friendly park as are all of the parks in the AL East. Turner Field on the other hand is a pitchers park, as is most of the parks in the NL East. Also Roger McDowell is a great pitching coach and clearly he and Garcia clicked last year. I wasn't thrilled with the signing of Garcia last year but he proved me wrong and I'm willing to give him a chance this year, especially when at worse it's 2 or 3 months. If the Braves can win 96 games with Paul Maholm throwing up a terrible ERA for 20 or however many starts it was the Braves will be fine with giving Garcia 10-15 starts.

When I think of 'park factors', I think of cheap homeruns. I don't think that was Garcia's issue. It was his inability to miss bats because his stuff has deteriorated. And just how much effect do you think a pitching coach can have on a 37 yr old vet? Let's be real. Garcia pitched well over a very short span for the Braves. Could he do that again? Maybe. Could he get hammered around the ballpark and be painful to watch. Maybe. But it won't have anything to do with park factors or a pitching coach.

nsacpi
03-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Against that must be weighed the fact that the sample size with the Braves is quite small and that the data from other ballparks is not completely irrelevant and can be adjusted to take park effects into account.

Also worth considering is history of pitchers who pitch at the velocity he is currently throwing at. Not too many right-handed pitchers with a fastball topping out at 87-88 mph enjoy much in the way of sustained success in the majors. I would rather take my chances on the other guys we currently have available for the starting rotation.

skillet
03-04-2014, 01:26 PM
BJ out to a rousing 1 for 11 start with 4 strikeouts. Some things never change. :mad0182:

Julio3000
03-04-2014, 01:37 PM
I can't stand to look. How bad are we getting tooled by Natty Lite?

thethe
03-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Thats impressive that we have mustered a hit against the great Stephen Strasburg.

Dalyn
03-04-2014, 01:58 PM
It means nothing because it's not the Braves. Why is that hard to understand?

Because that isn't how the real world works.

And Garcia is worse than 2013 Maholm (and I bet he will be MUCH worse than 2014 Maholm).

thethe
03-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Magic number for Washington has to be 50 at this point right?

jpx7
03-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Magic number for Washington has to be 50 at this point right?

Fifty douche-bags? I think they cap rosters at 40.

thethe
03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
White Bear time!

nsacpi
03-04-2014, 02:18 PM
White Bear time!

He's the only player on our team not intimidated by the Gnats.

Julio3000
03-04-2014, 02:26 PM
He's the only player on our team not intimidated by the Gnats.

That deadly combo of big hair and small penis is tough to contend with.

thethe
03-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Obviously holding a lead against the best team in baseball is difficult to do. Can't fault the Braves.

AUTiger7222
03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Because that isn't how the real world works.

And Garcia is worse than 2013 Maholm (and I bet he will be MUCH worse than 2014 Maholm).

Paul Maholm in his last 22 starts for the Braves pusted an ERA of 5.12 dude and the Braves still won 96 games. I honestly don't get the negatively some people have about everything Braves related. It must be a living nightmare to be a Braves fan since all you see is negatively everything. Try being positive for a change and give Freddy a chance. After what he did for the Braves last year, he deserves that.

nsacpi
03-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Paul Maholm in his last 22 starts for the Braves pusted an ERA of 5.12 dude and the Braves still won 96 games. I honestly don't get the negatively some people have about everything Braves related. It must be a living nightmare to be a Braves fan since all you see is negatively everything. Try being positive for a change and give Freddy a chance. After what he did for the Braves last year, he deserves that.

Actually I'm pretty positive in regards to seven of our starting pitchers: Medlen, Minor, Beachy, Teheran, Wood, Floyd, Hale. We don't have an ace but a pretty good group of what would be called 2's and 3's and good depth. And I think one of them will take a step forward and establish himself as one of the top 20 starting pitchers in the majors, ie. an ace.

gilesfan
03-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately for some reason, everyone in baseball seems to have that crappy old guy that they let hang on too long. Garcia has no business pitching for the Braves, I'm sure he'll be replaced by July.