PDA

View Full Version : Beachy Likely to Have 2nd Tommy John Surgery

NYCBrave
03-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Per Dave O'Brien:

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 13m
#Braves Medlen and Beachy will both see Dr. Andrews on Monday

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 4m
#Braves Beachy now faces possibility of needing a 2nd Tommy John surgery, too. Will find out more Monday.

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3m
#Braves Beachy said when he told us Mon. he was confident ligament was good and was only biceps, he did so because that's what he was told.

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 2m
#Braves Beachy: "Lot of frustration. Really, really frustrated."

The Chosen One
03-14-2014, 10:25 AM

Why does this happen to us?!?!?

Knucksie
03-14-2014, 10:25 AM
The first surgery must've been botched up for this to happen so soon after expected recovery.

AUTiger7222
03-14-2014, 10:27 AM
I just don't believe it. The city of Atlanta is so cursed.

The Chosen One
03-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Can we fire who's in charge of our rehabilitation program?

thethe
03-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Maybe Dalyn was right about him being rushed last year.....

Damn I didn't want to have to admit that.

Millwood1Hitter
LOL, what a freakin joke.

There was a time when there was the notion that once a pitcher had TJ he came back stronger and would be relatively problem free in that area for the remainder of their career. Over time, that proved to be true, with so many success stories and little failures. I think most organizations came to the realization that a pitcher having to have TJ surgery was inevitable, but it was a good thing, and wanted to get it out of the way.

Until, of course, it involves some young Braves.

What a freakin joke

Cursed isn't even a word for it. I can't explain it.

Really, are you freakin kiddin me?

WTF SMH

jpx7
Damn.

Hawk
We need to bring in another arm, IMO. Even with the Santana signing the rotation is looking fragile as all get out.

The Chosen One
03-14-2014, 10:32 AM
So much for the opening day predicted rotation of:

Medlen
Minor
Beachy
Teheran
Garcia/Wood

jpx7
03-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Can we fire who's in charge of our rehabilitation program?

The Braves' medical staff is the Yellow King.

jcc03004
03-14-2014, 10:35 AM
This really really sucks so at full strength now were Teheran minor Santana wood hale pretty much? Damn now I'm waiting to find out that Julio also needs tommy John and we have to bring Dan kolb out of retirement to pitch what next make pitch opening day starter

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 10:36 AM
We've had so many good pitchers come through our system lately that had early success at the major league level that flamed out due to some sort of injury. I understand that is the way it works but my golly this is damn frustrating and infuriating to say the least.

Wasn't that long ago we had:

Jair Jurrjens: that proved he was a top of the rotation starter with 3 solid years and had a bright future ahead of him until a freak knee injury ended his career
Tommy Hansen: One of the best prospects in all of baseball that showed he was a dominant starter his first few years in MLB until shoulder problems diminished his effectiveness
Johnny Venters: Guy was absolute beast and unhittable relievers in game, still recovering and don't know how he will respond yet to second TJ surgery

Now Beachy & Medlen?

Really, what the hell is going on here?

Bad medical department? Poor throwing program? Bad mechanics being taught?

Somebody needs to do some explaining becasue this is pathetic!

AUTiger7222
03-14-2014, 10:37 AM
We need to bring in another arm, IMO. Even with the Santana signing the rotation is looking fragile as all get out.

I wonder if the O's would be up for trading Bud Norris? He's a guy I really like that I think could do wonders working under Roger McDowell and everything else that would come with a move to the Braves.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 10:41 AM
I think this is some type of jinx that was spelled upon us when we were able to get 6 great weeks out of Ben Sheets.

Hawk
03-14-2014, 10:42 AM
I wonder if the O's would be up for trading Bud Norris? He's a guy I really like that I think could do wonders working under Roger McDowell and everything else that would come with a move to the Braves.

The Braves have shown interest in Norris in the past, and I really wouldn't count anything out at this point.

What about Ricky Romero?

The Chosen One
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Re-sign Jair Jurrjens. He's a FA, he's only 28. No downside if you offer him minimum.

He'd put up similar numbers to Garcia probably and could be passable.

Tapate50
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
WELL SH!T.

jcc03004
03-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Are u serious Lockhart? It's not the worst idea

cajunrevenge
03-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Its gonna be alright people. Put the noose down.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Re-sign Jair Jurrjens. He's a FA, he's only 28. No downside if you offer him minimum.

He'd put up similar numbers to Garcia probably and could be passable.

I think JJ is toast to be honest with you, I hate to say it, I loved JJ but I just don't see him being a viable and capable MLB starter anymore.

One thing I would look at, and it would take him some time to get ready, contact Javy Vasquez and see if he wants to come out of retirement.

depley
03-14-2014, 10:50 AM
no one knows how any of these guys will fair after a 2nd TJ, No one has really done well after a 2nd that I know of. I guess with Venters at least we will find out the potential of Medlen and Beachy after a 2nd, but it is not a good thing for sure. And yes it appears we need to make another move towards a starter, as it certainly leaves us with less than great starting pitching and not much ready in the minors. At this point both Medlen and Beachy might be considered non-tenders for 2015.

depley
03-14-2014, 10:51 AM
I think JJ is toast to be honest with you, I hate to say it, I loved JJ but I just don't see him being a viable and capable MLB starter anymore.

One thing I would look at, and it would take him some time to get ready, contact Javy Vasquez and see if he wants to come out of retirement.

I would rather approach Roy Halladay than Javy Vasquez.

PurpleBrave
Atlanta home of strikeouts and Tommy John surgeries

AUTiger7222
The Braves have shown interest in Norris in the past, and I really wouldn't count anything out at this point.

What about Ricky Romero?

I was just watching a video yesterday and the Blue Jays and Romero came up and Ken Rosenthal said that Romero was having a great spring in trying to win a job in the Blue Jays rotation. Dude is still very young and he's done great in the past so you know the potential is there even if we haven't seen it in the last couple of years.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Hansen
Medlen
Beachy
Jurrjens
Vizcaino

Venters

That's a damn good top 4 and ace reliever right there.

What could have been

AUTiger7222
03-14-2014, 10:54 AM
no one knows how any of these guys will fair after a 2nd TJ, No one has really done well after a 2nd that I know of. I guess with Venters at least we will find out the potential of Medlen and Beachy after a 2nd, but it is not a good thing for sure. And yes it appears we need to make another move towards a starter, as it certainly leaves us with less than great starting pitching and not much ready in the minors. At this point both Medlen and Beachy might be considered non-tenders for 2015.

Chris Capuano has been pitching for a few years now after having it a 2nd time and he's done just fine.

Heyward
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Season over.

Trade Heyward.

Hawk
03-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Chris Capuano has been pitching for a few years now after having it a 2nd time and he's done just fine.

And Brian Wilson looked great coming back last year, too.

AUTiger7222
03-14-2014, 11:00 AM
And Brian Wilson looked great coming back last year, too.

Yes he did.

The Chosen One
03-14-2014, 11:02 AM

Halladay barely threw 82 mph before his season ended.

Javy 5 years ago no arm or shoulder problems, was still touching 92-93.

I've been advertising the Vasquez thing since Medlen's injury this past weekend!

Javy Vazquez retired and said the only team he would come out of retirement for to play with is Los Bravos!

PurpleBrave
03-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Two Tommy Johns are difficult to come back from. I think Chris Capuano did it. Soria at Texas has done it. Pretty frustrating...

The Chosen One
03-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Are u serious Lockhart? It's not the worst idea

What options do we have?

Offer him minimum with incentives to see if he can reboot his career If he sucks you release him no problem and make him a recruiter in Curacao for future Braves players.

PurpleBrave
03-14-2014, 11:05 AM

Halladay & Vasquez? Jeez. Just bring back Livan Hernandez. We could pay him in Whattaburgers. Guy is as big as a Winnabago

drewdat
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Dr. James Andrews is obviously a Mets fan.

cajunrevenge
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Season over.

Trade Heyward.

I tried trading you. No one was interested.

PurpleBrave
03-14-2014, 11:10 AM
So are we back to the Hale/Garcia rotation at 5th starter till Floyd is ready?

Knucksie
03-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Halladay & Vasquez? Jeez. Just bring back Livan Hernandez. We could pay him in Whattaburgers. Guy is as big as a Winnabago

Forget those guys. I want El Presidente!

AUTiger7222
03-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Forget those guys. I want El Presidente!

Now there you go! LOL!

http://www.autographwarehouse.com/images/products/detail/DennisMartinezBRAVES8x10.jpg

clvclv
03-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Mentioned to someone within minutes of Medlen walking off the mound the other day that I'd already be dialing Javy up if I was Wren.

jsebe10
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
We've had so many good pitchers come through our system lately that had early success at the major league level that flamed out due to some sort of injury. I understand that is the way it works but my golly this is damn frustrating and infuriating to say the least.

Wasn't that long ago we had:

Jair Jurrjens: that proved he was a top of the rotation starter with 3 solid years and had a bright future ahead of him until a freak knee injury ended his career
Tommy Hansen: One of the best prospects in all of baseball that showed he was a dominant starter his first few years in MLB until shoulder problems diminished his effectiveness
Johnny Venters: Guy was absolute beast and unhittable relievers in game, still recovering and don't know how he will respond yet to second TJ surgery

Now Beachy & Medlen?

Really, what the hell is going on here?

Bad medical department? Poor throwing program? Bad mechanics being taught?

Somebody needs to do some explaining becasue this is pathetic!

Lol calm down. What's too explain ? They got hurt again , that's life. Just a freak thing that's no ones fault.

AUTiger7222
03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
At age 44 while pitching for the Braves in 1998, Dennis Martinez threw a complete game shutout against the Brewers.

9 IP, 12 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 1 BB, 3 SO

June 2, 1998 - ATL @ MILl (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL199806020.shtml)

stpeteirish
03-14-2014, 12:11 PM
The first surgery must've been botched up for this to happen so soon after expected recovery.

Agree. Maybe its time to reevaluate who we use for these procedures. This would be the third surg on Beachy, he did a clean up in the fall. What could have changed since then?

skillet
03-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Wow, what are the chances that four prominent pitchers for the Braves in the past two years, O'Flaherty and Venters last year, Medlen and Beachy this year, would all need TJ surgery. That is either extremely bad luck, or something or someone is doing something wrong in our organization.

Having said that, I still think we should be OK for the rotation. Though Minor and Santana may not be ready for opening day, they should be ready by mid-April. That will leave a rotation of:

Minor
Teheran
Santana
Wood
Garcia/Hale - will be replaced by Floyd sometime in May

That is still pretty darn good.

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Samardzjia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tvsportscaster
03-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Not necessarily, once Gavin Floyd comes back, your rotation is still Santana, Teheran, Minor, Wood and Floyd with Hale and Garcia as back up. Still in good shape.

thethe
03-14-2014, 12:24 PM
I think internally the Braves were never banking on Beachy for this year.

ChapelHillMatt
03-14-2014, 12:28 PM
This is not surprising. Beachy was having too many issues, he couldn't go a start or two without something popping up. I think this explains why we were so quick to jump on Santana. Wren probably had a feeling he was about to lose two starters.

You just have to hope that Floyd can get back by May, if so then we aren't all that bad off.

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Porcello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dalyn
03-14-2014, 12:36 PM
:Sad:

We handled him so badly. This sucks.

thethe
03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Porcello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second this.

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Lackey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYCBrave
03-14-2014, 12:42 PM
If 2nd Tommy John surgeries are so difficult to come back from, why did we commit all of this money to Venters this year?

jpx7
03-14-2014, 12:51 PM
I was just watching a video yesterday and the Blue Jays and Romero came up and Ken Rosenthal said that Romero was having a great spring in trying to win a job in the Blue Jays rotation. Dude is still very young and he's done great in the past so you know the potential is there even if we haven't seen it in the last couple of years.

I sort of doubt the Braves would go for Romero given the number of walks he usually allows, but with a strong bounce-back campaign, coupled with a lot of losses for the Blue Jays through June, he could be an option down the line. For the moment, though, Toronto is weak enough as it is in their rotation—plus Anthopoulos may still be stinging from Wren's swoop-in job on Santana.

Gary82
03-14-2014, 12:56 PM
I laughed when I read the title of this thread. Not that I enjoy Beachy's or the Braves' current fortunes, but because how so damn absurd this is. I really wanted Wood to have a prominent role in our rotation; looks like I got my wish.

Gary82
03-14-2014, 12:57 PM

and they still sat on their thumbs the entire offseason? I think they were banking on Beachy.

PawPawMaxwell
03-14-2014, 12:59 PM
I laughed when I read the title of this thread. Not that I enjoy Beachy's or the Braves' current fortunes, but because how so damn absurd this is. I really wanted Wood to have a prominent role in our rotation; looks like I got my wish.

Lets just hope Wood doesnt follow the trend and need his 2nd TJ. We could wind up with Kameron Loe again.

Dalyn
03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Teheran
Wood
Garcia
Hale (one start--or two--before Santana is ready)
Santana
Minor

If we care about Wood's innings, we need another pitcher.

Gary82
03-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Lets just hope Wood doesnt follow the trend and need his 2nd TJ. We could wind up with Kameron Loe again.

I'm afraid for Wood, Minor and Teheran. Young pitchers are ticking clocks, apparently.

AUTiger7222
03-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Go get Bud Norris. For everyone ****ting all over me for not liking the Santana signing here's something for you to chew on.

Santana fWAR
2009 - 1.1
2010 - 1.9
2011 - 2.6
2012 - (1.0)
2013 - 3.0
TOTAL - 7.6

Norris fWAR
2009 - 0.3
2010 - 1.6
2011 - 1.6
2012 - 1.5
2013 - 2.7
TOTAL - 7.7

And Norris did that while pitching mostly for terrible teams.

jason27nc
03-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Kershaw!!!! Get him now!!! He is a little better than average but maybe he could cut it here in the Atlanta.

goldfly
03-14-2014, 02:06 PM
If 2nd Tommy John surgeries are so difficult to come back from, why did we commit all of this money to Venters this year?

we only signed him for a little over a million

Knucksie
03-14-2014, 02:50 PM

That thought occurred to me too, but it's not as if they were expecting him to require another surgery either.

50PoundHead
03-14-2014, 02:58 PM

If that is the case, I'm puzzled as to why Wren didn't go into the market a little more aggressively after Hudson signed with the Giants.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Kershaw!!!! Get him now!!! He is a little better than average but maybe he could cut it here in the Atlanta.

The guys pretty good I hear.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 03:02 PM
If that is the case, I'm puzzled as to why Wren didn't go into the market a little more aggressively after Hudson signed with the Giants.

Because, haven't you heard, we will be able to acquire 2 for the price of 1 if we wait until July. He could have gotten Price but if he waits we will be able to get both Price and Lee right before the deadline at a 1/3 of the cost.

50PoundHead
03-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Because, haven't you heard, we will be able to acquire 2 for the price of 1 if we wait until July. He could have gotten Price but if he waits we will be able to get both Price and Lee right before the deadline at a 1/3 of the cost.

Oh, I see. I imagine those guys could be really helpful if we're 10+ games out of the playoff hunt.

zitothebrave
03-14-2014, 03:31 PM
2 truths seem to come out of this.

First Beachy's career in Atlanta is likely done. I'm sure we'll sign him for next year but he won't be even remotely counted on and will probably have to fight for a spot, which is a damned shame considering how great he was to start his career I was hoping he'd make it through this year before another injury.

Second, I'm pretty sure this settles the argument between myself and zbhargrove (you were martefuture right?) or whoever I got into it with about Beachy's mechanics, you don't have this kind of arm issues without bad mechanics.

BRule
03-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Wait....people were actually counting on Beachy to not only pitch BUT pitch well this year? Why?

Gary82
03-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Wait....people were actually counting on Beachy to not only pitch BUT pitch well this year? Why?

I was very discouraged by Beachy's performance last year.

yeezus
03-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Are you being facetious, or suggesting that someone here felt this way?
I ask because, some people here seem to think good pitching grows on trees, and Wren had all kinds of opportunity to easily bolster the depth and chose not to.
Personally, I believe he did pretty much the best he could. I really like low-cost, low-risk signing of Floyd. He could have a very good season at the back end of our rotation. I think you always have to plan for injury to pitching. I guess we missed the boat on Fister, but that happened seemingly quickly, and the Tigers got two guys who are not highly-regarded by pretty much anyone. That was just an odd trade, IMO, and still is.
I do believe we had a lot of depth before the injuries:
Minor
Medlen
Teheran
Beachy
Floyd
Wood
Hale
Garcia

I add Garcia, because like it or not, it's pretty much a fact that he's a solid guy to have..as your 8th option.
Even now, a rotation of
Santana
Teheran
Minor
Wood
Floyd

with Garcia, Hale as next in line is not a bad rotation, or bad depth. Three young guys with room for growth (4 including Hale), Santana who, in all likelihood, will be solid; and Floyd, who was very solid for 4 straight years.

Overall, we will still be a good team. Our offense has a lot of room for growth. I know I've said this, but I think it's reasonable that, provided health, of course, Heyward, Upton, Upton, Simmons, Freeman could ALL improve this coming season compared to last. Uggla can't be much worse, Johnson is likely in for a, albeit probably small, decline, and Gattis is a huge question mark (at least to me). Our offense definitely has a shot to be dynamic, as far as I'm concerned. A lot of young talent.

yeezus
03-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Who is doing this? I don't think I've seen it. I could have missed it.

edit: pretty much everyone has come to the conclusion, at least in this thread, that Beach is out for the year. What are you referring to?

BRule
03-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Who is doing this? I don't think I've seen it. I could have missed it.

Well if you go off peoples reaction in this thread, you would think we lost something of expected value.....why freak out over someone we didn't expect anything from?

yeezus
03-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Well if you go off peoples reaction in this thread, you would think we lost something of expected value.....why freak out over someone we didn't expect anything from?

Oh, I see.
I think people were moderately hopeful he could pitch at some point. Especially before the Spring began, there was reason to believe coming off TJ he'd be OK, as a lot of guys are these days. The fact that he won't even have the opportunity to pitch, not even give us a slight chance of production, stinks.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't know if I was exactly COUNTING on him, but I was HOPEFUL that he would be able to give us a good chunk of innings this year. I mean it's almost 2 years since he had TJ surgery, and with the success rate ranging from Smoltz to Hudson, one had to figure that all should be well and he would be able to give us good production. I was as concerned and worried as most were on here with some of the set backs he had last year, but everyone is different and responds differently, but generally the closer you get to 2 years off of that surgery pitchers return to previous levels.

Smoltz came back, and got rocked and hammered as a starter and really struggled with his slider and consistancy when he first came back, until he was relegated to closer role late in the season and looked dominant again, albeit in short stints. I think if we wanted, and didn't choose to go the closer route, which was a need at that point in time, that Smoltzie would have been vintage Smoltzie as a starter in 2002.

Hudson struggled with consitancy and location at first and had a few minor setbacks with discomfort & scar tissue , but looked as good if not better by the 2nd year off of surgery and arguably gave us his best season in a Braves uniform coming off that.

So there was hope, just seemed like we've been getting boned by surgeons lately.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Oh, and 50POUNDHEAD, I was referring to Wren's blow smoke up our arse quote of saying multiple times that we can get a better player at considerably lower cost by waiting until mid season to acquire.

50PoundHead
03-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Millwood, I got that. I guess my point is that if you're ten games out of the playoffs, why not pull another Teixeira deal? I believe we agree.

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Oooops, that wasn't mean't for 50PoundHead but yeezus. Sorry

Dalyn
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM

:fredi:

Dalyn
03-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Oooops, that wasn't mean't for 50PoundHead but yeezus. Sorry

Now you're faking your own quotes. :icon_biggrin:

zitothebrave
03-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Well, it's really simple, most pitchers recover from TJ fine. Beachy was less than 2 years removed from his TJ. Most guys who have the operation pitch for years before needing a second or have a weird complication sooner (like Brian Anderson) Beachy before going down was sick Hell even including last year he has a career 3.23 ERA and 3.34 FIP.

Orphan Black
03-14-2014, 06:06 PM
All I can say is wow

braves31win
03-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Agree. Maybe its time to reevaluate who we use for these procedures. This would be the third surg on Beachy, he did a clean up in the fall. What could have changed since then?

James Andrews is 70+ years old. His fellows do most of his operations with him present to observe. Not sure if he makes exceptions with pro athletes.

stpeteirish
03-14-2014, 07:45 PM

well, they kept telling us he was fine. Some of us (like me) were naive enough to believe them. From now one its BS until the player shows it isn't.

Heyward
03-14-2014, 08:01 PM

1-2 million is alot?

Knucksie
03-14-2014, 08:06 PM
James Andrews is 70+ years old. His fellows do most of his operations with him present to observe. Not sure if he makes exceptions with pro athletes.

Dr. Andrews will one day decide to retire or pass on. If these are the results of his staff's work, with younger pitchers getting TJ surgery twice, then that doesn't bode well for the future. This used to be a one and done procedure. Somebody like Smoltz was the exception, and he had spent several years in the majors before experiencing a 2nd ACL tear.

http://www.11alive.com/story/sports/mlb/atlanta-braves/2014/03/11/kris-medlen-john-smoltz/6310973/

CrimsonCowboy
03-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Man oh man. Not a funny situation, but I found these on Twitter today. May need something to give us a chuckle, considering the unfortunate circumstances:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bis55fMIMAA2Sqr.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bis2aDZCMAEu7su.jpg:large

NinersSBChamps
03-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Season over.

Trade Heyward.

"Just a clean up."

nsacpi
03-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Pitchers break. Quite often and often unexpectedly. Better to avoid long-term contracts with them. I remember there was a clamor a couple years ago to lock Beachy up.

thewupk
03-15-2014, 08:45 AM
I agree with most peoples sentiments. After last year I wasn't going to count on Beachy until he could actually show he was back. It sucks if he has to go under the knife again but it is what it is. Only real concern is Minor. Hopefully he gets going soon and doesn't have to miss more then a couple of weeks.

NYCBrave
03-15-2014, 09:09 AM
1-2 million is alot?

When you have a budget like ours, it is. I remember how people freaked out when we committed 1 mil to Proctor a few years ago.

thewupk
03-15-2014, 09:58 AM
When you have a budget like ours, it is. I remember how people freaked out when we committed 1 mil to Proctor a few years ago.

Apparently our budget isn't as bad as it used to be. We spent 14 million at the drop of a dime to fix our rotation.

bravesnumberone
03-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Well, godd****it.

Here's hoping Wood and Hale ball out this year. Probably didn't have the money, but this kind of makes me wish we had signed Burnett. He would have gotten hurt, too though.

DirkPiggler
03-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I've been away from the board for a few hours. Anybody else blown out their elbow today?

Dalyn
03-15-2014, 04:53 PM
We need our pitchers to stop doing the chop.

Dalyn
03-15-2014, 04:58 PM
I've been away from the board for a few hours. Anybody else blown out their elbow today?

I heard Fredi hurt his, but he can still not give the steal sign, so everything should be okay.

Tapate50
03-15-2014, 05:17 PM

Sadly, this is a great post

DirkPiggler
03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
I heard Fredi hurt his, but he can still not give the steal sign, so everything should be okay.

Was it his right elbow? If so we'll never see Kimbrel now.

ramadon101
03-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Medlen to have TJ surgery tomorrow.

Beachy getting 2nd opinion.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/medlen-to-have-tommy-john-tuesday-beachy-seeks-ano/nfFZh/

Dalyn
03-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Medlen to have TJ surgery tomorrow.

Beachy getting 2nd opinion.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/medlen-to-have-tommy-john-tuesday-beachy-seeks-ano/nfFZh/

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/369880320/h506F7360/

Braves1976
03-17-2014, 08:25 PM
I remember there was a clamor a couple years ago to lock Beachy up.

There was also a clamor by some to sign Medlen long term. The AJC's DOB was among those doing so. I remember reading on his blog (and/or an article) just before Medlen went down arguments about why Medlen ought to be considered next in line for a long term deal. Thankfully that didn't happen, though I hated seeing both Medlen and Beachy injured again.

We just have to hope Santana steps up and has a great season, while Minor, Teheran and Wood continue to improve. If so then we'll just need someone to step up and give us a decent 5th starter. Of course we also cannot afford any more injuries to our rotation anytime soon.