PDA

View Full Version : Oh BTW, Gattis Had Knee Surgery

Gary82
03-14-2014, 03:40 PM
http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/2014/03/14/braves-gattis-had-knee-surgery-in-october/

Braves catcher Evan Gattis hadn’t caught consecutive games this spring until Thursday, and now we know why: He had knee surgery in October, and the team has been careful with his workload behind the plate.

Gattis told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he had arthroscopic surgery to remove what he called a dime-sized bone chip that had been “floating around” in his knee right knee since around 2006, the year he had knee surgery known as the OATS procedure, when he was in junior college.

yeezus
03-14-2014, 03:52 PM
This sounds bad in the context of what's going on around our pitching right now, but this really does not seem like a big deal. It's been there since '06, and they just removed it.

zbhargrove
03-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Removing a bone chip is not a big deal... especially if its been there that long, it should only be a good thing in the long run. Its not a repair surgery or anything, so he shouldn't gain knee problems because of it.

KB21
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
OATS stands for osteochondral allograft translocation system. What this means is that he already has a degenerative condition in his knee, and they did the procedure to promote cartilage growth. Basically, he had a cartilage defect in his knee, and they took some cartilage from another knee to replace that deteriorated cartilage. 90% return to sport after this procedure, whereas only 40% return from the microfracture surgery.

I wonder if the "loose bone" was actually a loose body of cartilage and if the graft took or failed?

Yes, I am a doctor.

yeezus
03-14-2014, 04:05 PM
OATS stands for osteochondral allograft translocation system. What this means is that he already has a degenerative condition in his knee, and they did the procedure to promote cartilage growth. Basically, he had a cartilage defect in his knee, and they took some cartilage from another knee to replace that deteriorated cartilage. 90% return to sport after this procedure, whereas only 40% return from the microfracture surgery.

I wonder if the "loose bone" was actually a loose body of cartilage and if the graft took or failed?

Yes, I am a doctor.

Are you really? That's cool.
What kind of doctor?

KB21
03-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Are you really? That's cool.
What kind of doctor?

Family medicine

Millwood1Hitter
03-14-2014, 04:19 PM
He should be due for a major knee replacement by the second week of April.

Gary82
03-14-2014, 04:20 PM
You can't trade Bethancourt.

stpeteirish
03-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Wonder why the team finally decided to tell us now.

braves31win
03-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Wonder why the team finally decided to tell us now.

Week couldn't get any ****tier I guess

zitothebrave
03-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Removing a bone chip is not a big deal... especially if its been there that long, it should only be a good thing in the long run. Its not a repair surgery or anything, so he shouldn't gain knee problems because of it.

What if his bone chip was what was giving him power. YOU DON'T CUT SAMPSON'S HAIR!!

cajunrevenge
03-14-2014, 08:33 PM
For the love of Pete stop with the surgeries please. Unless its brain surgery for Fredi.

50PoundHead
03-15-2014, 08:00 AM
For the love of Pete stop with the surgeries please. Unless its brain surgery for Fredi.

If the doctors perform that procedure, I hope they fix any hemorrhoids while they're down there. Hey-oooooooooooooooooooooooooo!