PDA

View Full Version : First camp cuts: 17 sent down

rico43
03-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Three players on 40-man roster were optioned to Gwinnett: Perez, Obispo, Northcraft. Northcraft has been idle with finger injury and DNP while in camp. Should be OK going forward.

Non-roster players cut:pitchers Hursh, Rodriguez (a bit of a surprise), Lamm, Batista, Graham, Martin, Maya, Simmons.
Catchers: Kennelly, Schlehuber, Yepez
Outfielder: Lipka
infielders: Salcedo, Hamilton

According to DOB, 45 players still in camp. Some tough cuts coming.

Teheran_49
03-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Rico, do you have any numbers on Salcedo's ST? It seems like the few times I saw his name in the box score he had solid performances.

Knucksie
03-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Curious about where Salcedo is going to land this season. Will he start the year at Gwinnett? Lipka's probably back at AA. Is Graham ready for AAA?

50PoundHead
03-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Curious about where Salcedo is going to land this season. Will he start the year at Gwinnett? Lipka's probably back at AA. Is Graham ready for AAA?

Lipka will likely be in AA, but this will be his first go-round there. My guess is Salcedo starts in AA again. Graham, I have no idea. Because of his injury last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in AA as well.

I think the next round of cuts will be a bit more difficult to make, but I doubt what we will end up seeing will qualify as a surprise. The last few spots in the bullpen and the 25th guy all have been narrowed down to a handful. Some folks will be disappointed at who the choices will be, but I think there will be logic to the final choices.

rico43
03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Rico, do you have any numbers on Salcedo's ST? It seems like the few times I saw his name in the box score he had solid performances.

He was 5-for-19 (.263) with two doubles and a homer and three RBIs and five strikeouts. He also had a handful of errors, including a two-error game.

I think he is at the point where he needs to start and Triple-A, and see what develops. It is rare for a prospect to put a full season in Double-A and not advance (or be cut).

50PoundHead
03-16-2014, 09:56 PM
rico, I get what you are saying, but AAA isn't really a developmental league anymore and I think Salcedo still needs some development.

NYCBrave
03-17-2014, 09:36 AM
What's the plan for Maya? I thought some guys on here were high on the guy when we signed him.

stpeteirish
03-17-2014, 09:51 AM
What's the plan for Maya? I thought some guys on here were high on the guy when we signed him.

Maya appears ticketed for Gwinnett's rotation. He's being stretched out to start somewhere.