PDA

View Full Version : Calvary on its way

stpeteirish
07-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Per this AM AJC Gattis is almost ready will do three rehab games in Gwinnett and, if all goes well, will be activated for the CWS series next weekend. Schafer will also be eligible for activation that weekend and (previously reported) should be good to go. Beachy was fine after his last rehab start and will go Sunday for Gwinett. They say one more start after that one.

That might mean (my speculation here, not theirs) that Beachy could replace Maholm by the Mets series.

And Heyward said last night he didn't think he'd be out long, no DL.

Plug those three guys in for Terdo, Pastor and Wood and we look pretty good. I'd move Maholm to the pen, use him as a LOOGY.

zitothebrave
07-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Sweet!

If we can make it through this weekend doing well, (just need to win one more game) and all those guys are ready after the ASB things will look up.

weso1
07-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Schafer got hurt at the wrong time. First BJ was out for a few games and now Heyward is out probably for the rest of the 1st half.

PawPawMaxwell
07-12-2013, 07:53 AM
I dont know if any of those guys are coming from Calvary but Im sure Fredi would welcome some help from the cavalry.

j/k

PawPawMaxwell
07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
With 2 OFers dinged up now is there any chance Gattis foregoes the rehab stint?

The Chosen One
07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't see Wood going down since he's a lefty.

Maholm and Wood could be both lefties out of the pen unless FW decides to acquire an Ollie Perez.

zitothebrave
07-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Maholm and Wood could be both lefties out of the pen unless FW decides to acquire an Ollie Perez.

Question would be, would Maholm be a long man, or would he be a lefty reliever. If it's the former than I assume Ayala goes down, if it's the latter, then it's Wood.

Braves1976
07-12-2013, 08:18 AM

If so, it makes sense to include Varvaro in a trade. He'd probably have some value unlike Carpenter. Plus Obispo could replace Carpenter or Ayala if needed. We have others on the farm not far off too.

JohnAdcox
07-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Makes me want to drive to Gwinnett Sunday to see Beachy pitch to Gattis.

Braves1976
07-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Question would be, would Maholm be a long man, or would he be a lefty reliever. If it's the former than I assume Ayala goes down, if it's the latter, then it's Wood.

I forgot about Ayala, I guess because I don't think much of him.

sturg33
07-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Why on earth would we move Maholm to the pen when thethe assures me we are going to get a draft pick compensation for him?

Braves1976
07-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Why on earth would we move Maholm to the pen when thethe assures me we are going to get a draft pick compensation for him?

:happy0157: I was wondering when someone would bring that up.

50PoundHead
07-12-2013, 08:56 AM
I was thinking about his the other day. Returns of a healthy Gattis and Schafer certainly bolster the bench and gives Gonzalez more reasonable options and flexibility.

Don't know about the pitching. Hard to tell on rehab assignments, but I've been a proponent of having Beachy in the bullpen, at least for a few weeks. If Maholm continues to falter, it's relatively easy to slide Beachy in there.

I don't know if there's a market for Maholm, but he could be a trade candidate to a contender as a back-end starter. He may have value in the American League, where he hasn't been seen before and someone could get a good month out of him. Think Baltimore.

thethe
07-12-2013, 08:57 AM

If he was pitching the way he was we would have. Sorry I didn't see him falling off a cliff after about 2+ years of solid pitching. Don't ever bring up any of the solid predictions I have made of course.

Go back to conspiracy theories.

thethe
07-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I think we are going to see a lot of Heyward in CF in hte second half of the season. Gattis needs to play.

The Chosen One
07-12-2013, 09:00 AM
All these false prophecies thethe... starting to question if I made the right move to bring you on board... not just staff-wise... but to this site. :mad0182:

thethe
07-12-2013, 09:06 AM
All these false prophecies thethe... starting to question if I made the right move to bring you on board... not just staff-wise... but to this site. :mad0182:

I could just go the samurai way.

zitothebrave
07-12-2013, 09:23 AM
If he was pitching the way he was we would have. Sorry I didn't see him falling off a cliff after about 2+ years of solid pitching. Don't ever bring up any of the solid predictions I have made of course.

He hasn't fallen off the cliff, he's pitched exactly the same as he has for his career. There was a very wise poster on Scout by the name of ZitotheBrave that said he'll finish with an ERA aorund 4 and around 200 innings, just like he did for his career. You know what you get with Paul, he's a good starter. Not a TOR but a good anchor. We can trade him for something I'm sure when the deadline approaches, too many teams need pitching and when the top pitching is gone or too pricey teams will go sniffing Maholm.

thethe
07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
He hasn't fallen off the cliff, he's pitched exactly the same as he has for his career. There was a very wise poster on Scout by the name of ZitotheBrave that said he'll finish with an ERA aorund 4 and around 200 innings, just like he did for his career. You know what you get with Paul, he's a good starter. Not a TOR but a good anchor. We can trade him for something I'm sure when the deadline approaches, too many teams need pitching and when the top pitching is gone or too pricey teams will go sniffing Maholm.

There were articles (mostly statistical) that talked about his improvements and how he was a different pitcher than earlier in his career. Clearly, it was too premature of a decleration.

zitothebrave
07-12-2013, 09:33 AM
There were articles (mostly statistical) that talked about his improvements and how he was a different pitcher than earlier in his career. Clearly, it was too premature of a decleration.

First about being premature

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o512/molhamer/CommunityDuh-Doy.gif

Second, I'd like to see these "articles"

Braves1976
07-12-2013, 09:38 AM

True. The only difference between what he did with the Cubs last year is one more run and a few more hits allowed. He even has allowed the same amount of homers, walks and is one better on strikeouts in near the same number of innings. He also had 9 wins with the Cubs too. So that's not really falling off at all, it's very consistent and what I expected.

jpx7
07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I dont know if any of those guys are coming from Calvary but Im sure Fredi would welcome some help from the cavalry.

Good catch. Not sure the Braves need Golgothan reinforcements at this point.

Julio3000
07-12-2013, 12:23 PM

j/k

Carpenter?

jpx7
07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Carpenter?

Damn: nice.

sturg33
07-12-2013, 12:55 PM

I'm just pumped we're going to get a draft pick for him!

PawPawMaxwell
07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Carpenter?

Nice!!!

Grayson Dawg
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Gwinnett is in Durham this weekend

Makes me want to drive to Gwinnett Sunday to see Beachy pitch to Gattis.

jpx7
07-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Maybe Gwinnett is where he keeps his television?

JohnAdcox
07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Yeah, I found that out when I actually looked at the schedule. Still, would have been fun. I haven't made it to a Gwinnett game this year, and I'd like to. I may check again in, oh, five days or so.

John

elmonthc
07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
never have up on gattis when most thou6he was mike hessman part 2. Maybe hes right about maholm ;)