PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Report 4/3/14 Santana, Minor working Opening Day

rico43
04-02-2014, 10:52 PM
From MiLB
Breakout prospect: Tommy La Stella, 2B

La Stella was lighting up college pitching through his first two years at Coastal Carolina before a 2011 NCAA rule change made the familiar "ping" of the college ranks disappear in favor of bats that behave more like wood. That did not matter much to La Stella.

"That was one of the things our scout said when we drafted him," Richardson said. "That was right around the time when they changed the bats in college. Our guys said that he was still able to drive the ball all over, even with that change."

The Braves selected La Stella in the eighth round that year with the second baseman coming off a Big South Player of the Year season and a second-team All-American selection. His bat has spoken loudly since.

A career .327 hitter with an impressive .908 OPS through three Minor League seasons, La Stella is poised to move up for the first time to Gwinnett, where he'll continue working on his defensive acumen. He'll bring the experience of his first Major League action with him.

"He had a chance to go to big league camp this year to really learn a lot about himself," Richardson said. "Not only that, but he learned a lot from the veteran players."

La Stella batted .255 in 20 games this spring with the big club. Despite a series of nagging injuries that have limited him to a career high of 90 games in a single season, La Stella is pushing the envelope to compete for the Braves' second-base job.

"His bat is there right now, and we really feel that he can be an average defender at the Major League level and contribute soon."
--------

THURSDAY'S SCHEDULE

CLASS AAA

Durham 7, Gwinnett 6

Mejia 1-2, 2 R, BB, 3 RBIs, HR (1st) in 1st inning after two BB; Constanza 1-3, 2 BB, 2 R, 2 SB; JoeT 1-4, R, RBI, BB; La Stella 1-3, RBI; Hamilton 1-3, RBI, BB.

SP: Gavin Floyd 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, HR;
Maya 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER (3R), 5 K, HR.
LP: Lamm (0-1) 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
Note: 3 Braves Ps allowed HR.

CLASS AA

Mobile 6, Mississippi 2

LP: Mike Minor (0-1) 1st: K, K, HR, 3B, 1B, 2B, F4. Minor gave up cycle in 1st! 2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 5 K.
Batista 4.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 0 K.
Simmons 1 IP, 2 K.
Hefflinger 1-3, RBI; Landoni 1-4, RBI; Hunter 1-1, R (PH).

ADVANCED CLASS A

Frederick 6, Lynchburg 2

LP: Lucas Sims (0-1) 4 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K; Waszak 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Peraza 2-4, 2B; Skinner 2-3, 2 R, HR (1st), RBI; Hyams 2-3, RBI; Wren 2-4.

CLASS A

Hagerstown 4, Rome 0

LP: Lafreniere (0-1) 5.2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. Swanner 1 IP, 1H, 0 R, 1 K.
Brown 1-3, 2B; Carmargo 1-3, BB; Meneses 1-4.

LATE MOVES: Buchter optioined to Gwinnett to make room for Beato. P Andrew Russell (quad) placed on 7-day DL for Gwinnett.

Jay212033
04-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Here's a pretty cool story on Brady Feigl a mL FA we signed this offseason.

http://www.mountathletics.com/sports/bsb/2013-14/releases/20140206842nmk

Tapate50
04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Glad to see these back. One of my favorite things to follow. Thanks Rico!

Teheran_49
04-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Ahhh yes one of my favorite threads even going to back to the old boards. The Minors thread. Baseball is official now! Rico you are the man!!!

DaneHill
04-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Nice! Lots of pitchers to track today in each game! Which game is Santana pitching in? I'm surprised he isn't listed as one of the starters, especially over Floyd at Gwinnett.

rico43
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Nice! Lots of pitchers to track today in each game! Which game is Santana pitching in? I'm surprised he isn't listed as one of the starters, especially over Floyd at Gwinnett.

I was mistaken about gwinnett and didn't know how to change the header. Still spring training for me.

nsacpi
04-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Looks like Peraza is now a second baseman. Hope he will continue to get some work at short.

nsacpi
04-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Big fly (3 run variety) Mejia

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Big fly (3 run variety) Mejia

Yep, he crushed it too. I am watching via my MILB.tv account. I am looking forward to seeing how Floyd does tonight.

nsacpi
04-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Yep, he crushed it too. I am watching via my MILB.tv account. I am looking forward to seeing how Floyd does tonight.

Keep us posted.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Keep us posted.

Floyd got behind in the count to the first batter 2-0 and then 3-2 before getting him on an easy ground out to short (Greene), second batter he got early on with a grounder to Salcedo at third (Salcedo has a lot more range to his right than CJ, he stept in front and past the Greene at short fielding it). Then Floyd got behind the number 3 hitter 3-1 and then on a 3-2 fastball he doubled off the wall. The fourth batter flew out to deep center after Floyd fell behind in the count the same on him too. Floyd also threw a wild pitch moving the runner at second to third just before the last out of the inning.

That said, Floyd didn't look bad for this early as he was mostly just missing and threw a few good off speed pitches (one really nice change-up to the second batter IIRC). I'll see how he does next inning and get back to ya. I cannot tell his fastball velocity with the feed as it isn't tracked. We can probably find that out later though. It seems his velocity is fine though.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 06:06 PM
The second not starting well for Floyd, lead-off walk followed by a two run homer. 3-2 now. He then gets next batter to ground out to third on a 1-1 pitch and has just walked another batter. He continues to get behind in the count to almost every batter so far.

Well, Floyd isn't facing another batter as they just took him out for Maya. I thought he'd at least get a shot to finish two innings. He must have got to his pitch count limit already. So Floyd went 1 1/3 innings and gave up two earned runs (42 pitches and 21 strikes). Two hits (double and two run homer), no strikeouts and two walks along with a wild pitch.

nsacpi
04-03-2014, 06:20 PM
The second not starting well for Floyd, lead-off walk followed by a two run homer. 3-2 now. He then gets next batter to ground out to third on a 1-1 pitch and has just walked another batter. He continues to get behind in the count to almost every batter so far.

Well, Floyd isn't facing another batter as they just took him out for Maya. I thought he'd at least get a shot to finish two innings. He must have got to his pitch count limit already. So Floyd went 1 1/3 innings and gave up two earned runs (42 pitches and 21 strikes). Two hits (double and two run homer), no strikeouts and two walks along with a wild pitch.

I'm not surprised he struggled some. With rehabs, you often see the pitcher pitch a couple games to the lower levels, then gradually work his way up. AAA is a pretty good level and this is probably a fair reflection of where Floyd is right now.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm not surprised he struggled some. With rehabs, you often see the pitcher pitch a couple games to the lower levels, then gradually work his way up. AAA is a pretty good level and this is probably a fair reflection of where Floyd is right now.

My thoughts too. Plus when you get behind in the count to almost every batter they're bound to hit ya. His control will come back, he is just rusty as you'd expect this early on. I'd be interested in finding out what his velocity was tonight.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 06:40 PM
The G-Braves are lighting up Nate Karns, 6-2 now and should be 7-2. La Stella was called out at the plate but looked safe to me. La Stella btw flew out his first AB after working the count to 3-2, and then walked on another 3-2 pitch his last AB with the bases loaded (giving him his first RBI in AAA).

Karns is out, he was hit hard and walked a lot (7 BB's including Constanza twice). G-Braves still batting with 1st and 3rd and two outs (thanks to bad call on the play at the plate, La Stella beat the tag and ump lacked positioning to make the call). OK now inning over, G-Braves offense looks great so far.

thethe
04-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks for these updates.

How is Salcedo looking at the plate?

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for these updates.

How is Salcedo looking at the plate?

Sure, good to be watching some minor league ball again. Salcedo has grounded out twice. So hard to say so far. I like the range he has shown in the field thus far.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 07:11 PM
I am now trying to get the Mississippi game feed to work to watch Minor pitch tonight. I cannot get it to start for some reason, maybe an MLB.tv glitch or maybe game just not started due to pregame.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Well, after I praised Salcedo's range he makes an error (though I missed it as I had been trying to switch to watch Minor pitch for Mississippi).

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 07:26 PM
La Stella got his first AAA hit (single), making him now 1-2 with 1BB and an RBI (came on a bases loaded walk). Salcedo is now 0-3 as he followed La Stella's single with a strikeout.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Looks like Peraza is now a second baseman. Hope he will continue to get some work at short.

He probably will as needed, but they are just getting him ready to play along Simmons in Atlanta. I do believe he is likely our future at second base. He and Simmons would make an impressive DP combo hard to match IMO.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Wow, G-Braves just blew their lead fast. It was 6-3 but now 6-6 after Maya gives up a double and then two run homer. Then the Braves bring in Luis Vasquez and he quickly gives up a big fly to tie game at 6-6.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Minor must be rusty too, he has already given up three runs in the 1st. I haven't been able to watch as Mississippi feed on MILB.tv is not working for me. Sometimes the feeds don't work live but once posted after midnight or whenever do the next day (so some minor league games I watch a day later if the feed is bad).

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Well y'all, I lost my G-Braves feed too now so no more updates from me. I mainly wanted to see how Floyd and Minor's rehab went anyway. I'll just catch the rest of the game when they archive it later. I missed Arrow last night due to watching baseball, so I am going to go watch it now.

rico43
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Well y'all, I lost my G-Braves feed too now so no more updates from me. I mainly wanted to see how Floyd and Minor's rehab went anyway. I'll just catch the rest of the game when they archive it later. I missed Arrow last night due to watching baseball, so I am going to go watch it now.

Feel free to leave an update on that, too. I keep wondering how many members of the DC Universe are going to show up.

Braves1976
04-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Feel free to leave an update on that, too. I keep wondering how many members of the DC Universe are going to show up.

Hehe, yea me too Rico. BTW, I saw on twitter Mike Minor touched 95 mph tonight with his fastball and struck out side one inning (5 k's total despite giving up 3 ER). That's good to hear, sounds like he'll be fine once he gets his location back on track.

jpack1
04-03-2014, 09:16 PM
If Minor's arm strength is really back that's all that matters for him.

50PoundHead
04-04-2014, 07:09 AM
I don't put a lot of stock in rehab pitching. The guys are usually just trying to get their feel for pitching back.

Hate to start the season 0-4, but I don't put a lot of stock into minor league W/L because it's all about development. Interesting to see them move Peraza at 2B, but with Simmons signed to a 7-year deal, Peraza won't be playing SS when he gets to Atlanta and while it's a little out of character for the Braves who usually keep similar guys at SS all the way to the bigs, I see the logic here. Plus, Castro is a pretty good SS with utility man potential.

thethe
04-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I don't put a lot of stock in rehab pitching. The guys are usually just trying to get their feel for pitching back.

Hate to start the season 0-4, but I don't put a lot of stock into minor league W/L because it's all about development. Interesting to see them move Peraza at 2B, but with Simmons signed to a 7-year deal, Peraza won't be playing SS when he gets to Atlanta and while it's a little out of character for the Braves who usually keep similar guys at SS all the way to the bigs, I see the logic here. Plus, Castro is a pretty good SS with utility man potential.

To me that shows that the Braves believe in Peraza more than anything. They aren't caring about maximizing his value via trade as much as maximizing his value to the major league roster. Sounds like they see him as the future lead off hitter.