PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Talk Show Thread: (9/9/'15 Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert Begins)

The Chosen One
04-03-2014, 03:49 PM
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/david-letterman-to-retire-from-cbs-in-2015-1201152380/

Love Craig Ferguson. Sincerely hope he doesn't get passed over or screwed.

Krgrecw
04-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Would CBS have the balls to go for Conan?

Are Conan and Letterman friends? That could be telling.

zitothebrave
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Would CBS have the balls to go for Conan?

Are Conan and Letterman friends? That could be telling.

Conan and Letterman are friendly. I dunno about Friends. Conan succeeded Letterman on Late Night. He brings the most fans immediately with him as well. No knock on Ferguson, but his following isn't close to Conan's.

There are a handful of issues with Conan. First will he agree to do it? Second being will there be stipulations CBS would be willing to meet if Conan presents them (such as moving the show to California) Third and final being considering Ferguson, if he feels shunned he may leave.

Personally I hope Conan stays on TBS, he's able to do **** that you can't get away with on Network TV. Like they had a time where someone (forget who) was talking abuot the time keeping guy, and they wound up wasting so much time talking about it that would not have happened on the Tonight show or Late Show.

zitothebrave
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Though one coincidence is that Conan's contact ends in 2015, sooooo

The Chosen One
04-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Ferguson doesn't have the following of Conan because he didn't have the tonight show lead him in for 15 years then have tonight show for 6 months and a huge media controversy to rally people behind him.

If he took Letterman's spot he could easily develop a following. Rumor is Neil Patrick Harris is being floated.

zitothebrave
04-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Ferguson doesn't have the following of Conan because he didn't have the tonight show lead him in for 15 years then have tonight show for 6 months and a huge media controversy to rally people behind him.

If he took Letterman's spot he could easily develop a following. Rumor is Neil Patrick Harris is being floated.

Conan had a huge following before taking over the tonight show. Ferguson is good, I like him. But if you have to choose between him and Conan you take Conan all other things being equal.

mossy
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM
I've enjoyed Dave over the years, but it's time I think.

Conan taking the spot is a fascinating thought. I've never watched Ferg, so I have no idea how good the show is.

Off topic...Tell you what, I sure love the comedy of Jimmy Fallon though.

Krgrecw
04-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Here's a name: Adam Carolla.

I guess him being a conservative will keep him out of the running, but he has the largest podcast so he has a helluva built in following.

zitothebrave
04-03-2014, 10:11 PM
A top billing show like that is gonna pull someone with late night show hosting experience. Jimmy Fallon had to do some time before moving into a prime spot.

Your most likely replacements are Conan, Ferguson, Stewart, Colbert (if they want it as it would be a totally different medium) are your most likely candidates. Some longer shots include bringing Leno out of retirement. sliding Chelsea Handler over (personally I think that she's likely to replace ferguson if he gets it though) and the possible move of Kimmel to the Late show which would then open up another spot. NPH is brought up because of his CBS ties and his stage experience but that would likely be a lousy experience.

BTW Walker Texas Ranger lever is the best thing in the history of television.

CrimsonCowboy
04-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Can Letterman just retire now?

The Chosen One
04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Again, Conan had Late Night for 15+ years or whatever it was. His lead-in was Jay Leno whom was the ratings king in the 11:30 time slot against Letterman.

And don't forget, during that whole Tonight Show fiasco, Conan gained fans just to spite Leno. People I know never cared about Conan for some reason started to follow and watch him after the Tonight Show screwing.

Ferguson has been under the radar, no scandals or controversies. If given the right time slot, his audience can grow.

zitothebrave
04-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Again, Conan had Late Night for 15+ years or whatever it was. His lead-in was Jay Leno whom was the ratings king in the 11:30 time slot against Letterman.

And don't forget, during that whole Tonight Show fiasco, Conan gained fans just to spite Leno. People I know never cared about Conan for some reason started to follow and watch him after the Tonight Show screwing.

Ferguson has been under the radar, no scandals or controversies. If given the right time slot, his audience can grow.

Dude, you just have no clue. Conan being on late night for so long is a positive. I don't know why that would hold again him. Ferguson has no draw, Conan had draw. As far as following Leno, Conan and Leno couldn't be more different. Mainly because Conan is actually funny.

The Chosen One
04-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Who said I'm using that against Conan? I specifically said he benefitted from being on Late Night for 15+, and the fact his lead in was Jay Leno who was king of the 11:30. Factor in the entire 2010 controversy and Conan gained tons of support.

All I said was Ferguson is under the radar because he's on a show CBS doesn't really care about, he doesn't have any major news stories like the 2010 Conan screwing. Ferguson actually beat Fallon a few times in the ratings, and I hear Seth Meyers isn't doing too well ratings wise. Letterman's ratings suck, they haven't been good since Jay went off at first in 2010. Letterman's bad ratings don't help Ferguson who is still unknown to many. I think your average late night joe would know Leno, Letterman, Conan and maybe Fallon. Then after that either Kimmel or Ferguson.

Eh you don't find Leno funny, but millions of other people did. I find Conan funny too, but I also find him too over the top at times. I could get a quick cheesy laugh watching Leno before I went to bed. Ferguson would keep me up just to keep laughing at the insanity he does.

AerchAngel
04-04-2014, 06:54 AM
I didn't know people watch that rubbish at night.

Tapate50
04-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Chelsea Handler is not funny. That is all.

zitothebrave
04-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Who said I'm using that against Conan? I specifically said he benefitted from being on Late Night for 15+, and the fact his lead in was Jay Leno who was king of the 11:30. Factor in the entire 2010 controversy and Conan gained tons of support.

All I said was Ferguson is under the radar because he's on a show CBS doesn't really care about, he doesn't have any major news stories like the 2010 Conan screwing. Ferguson actually beat Fallon a few times in the ratings, and I hear Seth Meyers isn't doing too well ratings wise. Letterman's ratings suck, they haven't been good since Jay went off at first in 2010. Letterman's bad ratings don't help Ferguson who is still unknown to many. I think your average late night joe would know Leno, Letterman, Conan and maybe Fallon. Then after that either Kimmel or Ferguson.

Eh you don't find Leno funny, but millions of other people did. I find Conan funny too, but I also find him too over the top at times. I could get a quick cheesy laugh watching Leno before I went to bed. Ferguson would keep me up just to keep laughing at the insanity he does.

So you're basically saying, Conan is the obvious choice if he wants the job. Got it.

Personally I don't think he wants it and I don't think there's a better second candidate to Ferguson unless Stewart wants it but I don't think he'll risk it. There's always a chance of a daytime host throwing their hat into the ring like Ellen, but would CBS take that big of a gamble? Late night is a fickle game, you need a certain quality to last there. Could be a surprise comic, but I really doubt it. Money would be on Ferguson or Conan unless both of them say no. Which I doubt Ferguson would.

Tapate50
04-04-2014, 08:56 AM
So you're basically saying, Conan is the obvious choice if he wants the job. Got it.

Personally I don't think he wants it and I don't think there's a better second candidate to Ferguson unless Stewart wants it but I don't think he'll risk it. There's always a chance of a daytime host throwing their hat into the ring like Ellen, but would CBS take that big of a gamble? Late night is a fickle game, you need a certain quality to last there. Could be a surprise comic, but I really doubt it. Money would be on Ferguson or Conan unless both of them say no. Which I doubt Ferguson would.

Ellen. Also UnFunny.

DjGrizz
04-04-2014, 03:11 PM
It won't happen but I would love Louie CK to take it. And fwiw kgrecw I love The Ace Man!

zitothebrave
04-04-2014, 08:42 PM
If this rumor is true the search will be short

http://mashable.com/2014/04/04/stephen-colbert-replace-david-letterman-late-night/

Would be interesting and not what anyone expects if it happens.

The Chosen One
04-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Eh. I love Colbert, but his thing is political satire... that's what has put him on the map and I'm not sure if the regular Colbert would be as good.

zitothebrave
04-04-2014, 08:54 PM
He is really good at what he does period. His political satire is one thing. His skills as an interviewer/showman is awesome.

Gary82
04-04-2014, 08:56 PM
It won't happen but I would love Louie CK to take it. And fwiw kgrecw I love The Ace Man!

Louis wrote for Conan, but he's got a good thing going.

zitothebrave
04-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Louis wrote for Conan, but he's got a good thing going.

yeah. And there's the interview aspect. Takes a certain skill to do that well.

Gary82
04-04-2014, 09:12 PM
yeah. And there's the interview aspect. Takes a certain skill to do that well.

A talk show host has to keep things interesting when they're interviewing dullards.

DjGrizz
04-05-2014, 04:44 AM
I think he would be good at the interviewing portion because he's not scared to ask the hard questions. Btw there was a whole Louie episode devoted to him taking the gig.I think the show ended with him standing outside of the studio flipping Dave off and yelling "f*** you Letterman" lol

Tapate50
04-05-2014, 05:31 AM
He is really good at what he does period. His political satire is one thing. His skills as an interviewer/showman is awesome.

Colbert would be excellent. Great interviewer and great off the cuff comedy. KL- Shouldn't pigeon hole because his writers go all political satire on him....that's the show. If the show was Late Night with Colbert they would write that type stuff .

Runnin
04-05-2014, 10:49 AM
I hate the way they announce this a year ahead of time so they can milk it for all it's worth. Just give them 2 weeks notice and leave. Nobody cares. You're not Johnny. No one is. Sorry, but there's Johnny Carson and then there's everyone else.

Gary82
04-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I hate the way they announce this a year ahead of time so they can milk it for all it's worth. Just give them 2 weeks notice and leave. Nobody cares. You're not Johnny. No one is. Sorry, but there's Johnny Carson and then there's everyone else.

LOL 2 weeks notice.

Chipper was no Johnny Carson either.

50PoundHead
04-06-2014, 11:31 AM
As great as Carson was, I don't think he re-engineered the genre the way that Letterman has. Tastes in television were changing, Letterman recognized that and rode that wave.

But let me be clear, I'm not dissing Carson. He perfected the genre that Steve Allen hatched and handed off to Jack Paar. Carson had such an easy style it was difficult not to appreciate how easy he made it look (and my guess is that it was very difficult). The other thing about Carson is that his dedication to young comics basically created the geography of stand-up in the 1960s through the 1990s.

zitothebrave
04-06-2014, 04:47 PM
As great as Carson was, I don't think he re-engineered the genre the way that Letterman has. Tastes in television were changing, Letterman recognized that and rode that wave.

But let me be clear, I'm not dissing Carson. He perfected the genre that Steve Allen hatched and handed off to Jack Paar. Carson had such an easy style it was difficult not to appreciate how easy he made it look (and my guess is that it was very difficult). The other thing about Carson is that his dedication to young comics basically created the geography of stand-up in the 1960s through the 1990s.

It's also worth noting that Letterman was on the air longer than Carson, The Late Show was out not quite as long as Carson being on The Tonight show, but combined with his 9 years of experience on Late Night, he's been on the air consecutively for 3 decades. I'm OK with there being a big deal being made about him retiring.

Runnin
04-07-2014, 06:11 AM
What has Letterman done to "re-engineer the genre? It looks pretty much the same as it always has.

Larry Bud Melvin was funny. Hecklers in the audience worked for a while but for some reason he doesn't do stuff like that anymore. Or does he?

I always liked Letterman above all the other talk show hosts but I think the Bush years turned him sour.

50PoundHead
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
What has Letterman done to "re-engineer the genre? It looks pretty much the same as it always has.

Larry Bud Melvin was funny. Hecklers in the audience worked for a while but for some reason he doesn't do stuff like that anymore. Or does he?

I always liked Letterman above all the other talk show hosts but I think the Bush years turned him sour.

To me, Letterman brought back the more absurdist tone that was part of Steve Allen's schtick. As good as Carson was, he was as safe as safe can be (and very good at it). Carson would have never done the kind of interviews Letterman did with Pee Wee Herman and Chris Elliot. Letterman played the fool as much as the pilot of the show. Carson never did that.

yeezus
04-07-2014, 04:09 PM
I love Colbert and think he'd be funny no matter what he does. But, his character on his show is what's so funny. If he can't be his "fake" self and play a character, I'm not sure I'd want to see that over his show. I would love for him to be on more than just a half hour, though.

50PoundHead
04-07-2014, 04:28 PM
I love Colbert and think he'd be funny no matter what he does. But, his character on his show is what's so funny. If he can't be his "fake" self and play a character, I'm not sure I'd want to see that over his show. I would love for him to be on more than just a half hour, though.

I agree that will be a challenge for him. He would have to go back to when he was a reporter on The Daily Show and after more than a decade developing a character and a schtick, that might be almost insurmountable. I think he definitely has the interviewing chops.

The Chosen One
04-10-2014, 11:29 AM
It's official: Stephen Colbert will replace Letterman.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/10/stephen-colbert-letterman/

weso1
04-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I think Colbert is a pretty witty interviewer. Hopefully he'll be fair politically on this show. They may not want that though.

jpx7
04-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Eh. I love Colbert, but his thing is political satire... that's what has put him on the map and I'm not sure if the regular Colbert would be as good.

What put Colbert on the map were his hilarious interviews on The Daily Show, which started in 1997—two years before Jon Stewart even entered the game. That's his strength: that, and the fact he's a consummate ****ing showman. The satire streak will always be there, but I think he'll be able to shuffle off the institutional politics part of it as much as he cares to and still have a lot of success.

It was the Report, and his Colbert "character"—obviously—which brought the quasi-transcendent status he enjoys today, but he'd earned plenty of plaudits prior to it.

I like Conan—I grew up watching Late Night—but these days I really don't make time to watch any of the late night shows (and really haven't since I shipped off to college so many moons ago). With Colbert moving to that medium, however, I might have to make the effort to start, because dude done changed the game if he brings it like he always does.

50PoundHead
04-10-2014, 03:24 PM
I think the politics du jour on late night television is in that classic American vein of "they're all idiots" and although Colbert is pretty clearly ensconced on the left politically, I'm sure he'll skewer everybody.

zitothebrave
04-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I think Colbert is a pretty witty interviewer. Hopefully he'll be fair politically on this show. They may not want that though.

I don't think he'll be overly political aside from like other late nighters making fun of politicians.

Krgrecw
04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Colbert is a character. He's a gimmick. This was a bad move.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 01:28 PM

LOL.
Says the crotchety, bitter conservative.
He is a great interviewer, very, VERY intelligent, and one of the funniest people on TV. They made a great get by grabbing him. He will be popular.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 01:28 PM
I will miss his character on Report. I wish they just made that show an hour long.

zitothebrave
04-12-2014, 02:56 PM

I'm sure it can go on your list of millions of other great predictions.

Apple Stock will reach 1000, Chromecast won't sell, Developers won't support Chromecast, and I coudl go on. You're the worst at predicting trends.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Apple Stock will reach 1000, Chromecast won't sell, Developers won't support Chromecast, and I coudl go on. You're the worst at predicting trends.

Only someone with a strong bias can't see how talented Colbert is. They likely get upset at his politics and the points he makes about their joke of a party.

zitothebrave
04-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Only someone with a strong bias can't see how talented Colbert is. They likely get upset at his politics and the points he makes about their joke of a party.

People sadly think Colbert is a one trick pony.

Hawk
04-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Colbert is gonna flop like Katie Couric. I think he's talented, but his shtick precedes him too greatly IMO.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Colbert is gonna flop like Katie Couric. I think he's talented, but his shtick precedes him too greatly IMO.

Goddamnit do not compare Stephen Colbert to Katie freakin Couric. What the actual hell.

Hawk
04-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Goddamnit do not compare Stephen Colbert to Katie freakin Couric. What the actual hell.

Haha it's a legitimate comparison. Couric did 'serious' daytime TV, but was never respected in a primetime news role (and don't say it was because she is a woman - Diane Sawyer ran all over her). Colbert owned an extremely nichey segment of late night, but that doesn't mean his crossover is going to be seamless ... I think late night audiences are absurdly picky.

Krgrecw
04-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Colbert hire seems like it was a hire to attract a younger audience. I think he'll fail too. He's to gimmicky.

If they had balls they could had gone after JT. Although his show would probably be a mirror image of Falons.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Haha it's a legitimate comparison. Couric did 'serious' daytime TV, but was never respected in a primetime news role (and don't say it was because she is a woman - Diane Sawyer ran all over her). Colbert owned an extremely nichey segment of late night, but that doesn't mean his crossover is going to be seamless ... I think late night audiences are absurdly picky.

I get what you're saying but...Colbert is way more talented and legit than Couric. He's one of the wittiest, funniest, most intelligent people on TV.

Krgrecw
04-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Remember the Medlen is better than JJ arguments that no one else agreed on? I don't want to get into another google debate but I don't think i was wrong there.

Colbert is a one trick pony with a gimmick. He's like Cohen. Only Cohen stays relevant by reinventing himself, colbert has one character.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Colbert hire seems like it was a hire to attract a younger audience. I think he'll fail too. He's to gimmicky.

If they had balls they could had gone after JT. Although his show would probably be a mirror image of Falons.

All you're doing is proving you know little of Colbert's repertoire, or severely underselling it. I'm not sure if it's intentional, or coming from blindness.

zitothebrave
04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Remember the Medlen is better than JJ arguments that no one else agreed on? I don't want to get into another google debate but I don't think i was wrong there.

Colbert is a one trick pony with a gimmick. He's like Cohen. Only Cohen stays relevant by reinventing himself, colbert has one character.

I purposely only selected things involving trends, not involving other things. You're a very opinionated and sheltered person. You miss regularly on things becuause you like or don't like. Not looking instead at what people will like. Conan has also not even remotely reinvented himself. Hes very much true to what got him his giant audience.

The Chosen One
04-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I have nothing against Colbert, and I'm sure he'll do fine as Late Show host.

My issue is, he's probably the best tool the left has on TV to counter the insane propaganda on the right.

Nobody can pull off the character he's perfected. Stewart plays the liberal who shows how much non-sense goes on in the right. Colbert plays the "conservative" that makes you go wow you know they really do say and act this certain way.

It sucks seeing him go because this is the domain he perfected, and was definitely the best political satirist in the modern age.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 05:16 PM

My issue is, he's probably the best tool the left has on TV to counter the insane propaganda on the right.

Nobody can pull off the character he's perfected. Stewart plays the liberal who shows how much non-sense goes on in the right. Colbert plays the "conservative" that makes you go wow you know they really do say and act this certain way.

It sucks seeing him go because this is the domain he perfected, and was definitely the best political satirist in the modern age.

This I agree with. It's upsetting he won't be able to play that character anymore and make the right look even more silly.

50PoundHead
04-12-2014, 05:33 PM
I think everyone has to go back and watch Colbert's work on The Daily Show--where he wasn't a one-trick pony (or at least was a different-trick pony)--to see that there's more there than his schtick on The Colbert Report.

I don't know if he'll succeed or not. The market will determine that. But the guy is talented. Cut his teeth in improv and to succeed in that medium, you've got to be able to both write and perform. He'll have a top-notch writing staff at his disposal. All that said, he could flop miserably.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 05:42 PM
I think everyone has to go back and watch Colbert's work on The Daily Show--where he wasn't a one-trick pony (or at least was a different-trick pony)--to see that there's more there than his schtick on The Colbert Report.

I don't know if he'll succeed or not. The market will determine that. But the guy is talented. Cut his teeth in improv and to succeed in that medium, you've got to be able to both write and perform. He'll have a top-notch writing staff at his disposal. All that said, he could flop miserably.

He could because the crowd who will be watching and judging him will be fickle and it's a tough market. But he's got the talent, and I'm not sure that's debatable.

zitothebrave
04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
This I agree with. It's upsetting he won't be able to play that character anymore and make the right look even more silly.

Who replaces him on CC could be huge. I hope they get someone good. I'm not sure if any of the current correspondents can hold their own for half an hour.

weso1
04-12-2014, 06:09 PM

He's just preaching to liberal sheep though for the most part. They'll find another guy that liberal youth will slobber over.

weso1
04-12-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't think he'll succeed if he's overly partisan. So it will be interesting to see how he handles that. He should make fun of politics, but he'll alienate his viewer base if he sticks far left.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 06:11 PM
He's just preaching to liberal sheep though for the most part. They'll find another guy that liberal youth will slobber over.

Meh, typical short-sighted view. He points out how retarded a majority of them are. It's ok that you don't like it, because it is embarrassing.
And no one on the right has that wit and intelligence (unfortunately).

weso1
04-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Meh, typical short-sighted view. He points out how retarded a majority of them are. It's ok that you don't like it, because it is embarrassing.
And no one on the right has that wit and intelligence (unfortunately).

I'm sure you think your reply was cute, but it didn't really disagree with my point that it's mostly the liberal sheep that are watching it religiously, and in fact you seem to be a perfect example of the consistent Colbert Report watcher. And your own statement is truly the short sited one. While it's true that there are many more liberal comedians to choose from there are certainly just as many laughs to be had from liberal politicians. It's all sadly hilarious.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm sure you think your reply was cute, but it didn't really disagree with my point that it's mostly the liberal sheep that are watching it religiously, and in fact you seem to be a perfect example of the consistent Colbert Report watcher. And your own statement is truly the short sited one. While it's true that there are many more liberal comedians to choose from there are certainly just as many laughs to be had from liberal politicians. It's all sadly hilarious.

Well you don't have a point, because why would conservatives watch someone who so frequently points out their absurdity and stupidity? And he's a great showman and hilarious. He's wildly popular, and more popular than Stewart by far...there's a reason for that.

50PoundHead
04-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Who replaces him on CC could be huge. I hope they get someone good. I'm not sure if any of the current correspondents can hold their own for half an hour.

Very good point. Most of the talent on the network came up through the network as it developed. I didn't think John Oliver did particularly well (but wasn't flat out awful) subbing for John Stewart. Don't know if he's in line for anything or not.

yeezus
04-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Very good point. Most of the talent on the network came up through the network as it developed. I didn't think John Oliver did particularly well (but wasn't flat out awful) subbing for John Stewart. Don't know if he's in line for anything or not.

Yeah, not a huge Oliver fan. Hope they find someone else. Like you said, no terrible, but just isn't that guy. Filling Colbert's shoes will be near impossible.

Runnin
04-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Colbert will tone down and recreate himself for Late Nite, and be funnier than ever. And he's not as liberal as people make him out to be. He's a Catholic.

weso1
04-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Well you don't have a point, because why would conservatives watch someone who so frequently points out their absurdity and stupidity? And he's a great showman and hilarious. He's wildly popular, and more popular than Stewart by far...there's a reason for that.

I just don't think you understand my point based on your posts. My initial reply was in regards to Sav stating that Colbert was a great tool to help counter the conservative message and now that he's gone it's a big loss because of that. I just stated that it doesn't really matter because most of the people watching are liberals anyway and their mind is already made up. That's my point.

You seem like one of the more closed minded liberals on this board and you are obviously a big Colbert fan. I think someone like you makes up their target audience.

weso1
04-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Colbert will tone down and recreate himself for Late Nite, and be funnier than ever. And he's not as liberal as people make him out to be. He's a Catholic.

I agree with this. I think Colbert played his character and played to his audience well. He's not as liberal as his character was. I think he's more open minded than that and understands it's not hard to make fun of both sides.

I think late night is tough to predict though. I think it's anyone's guess whether he'll be good or not.

Hawk
04-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Comedic gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QquTUR9nbC4

zitothebrave
04-12-2014, 11:12 PM
I want to find this awesome interview he did with a joint chief on the Daily Show, can't find it online though.

yeezus
04-13-2014, 01:05 PM
I just don't think you understand my point based on your posts. My initial reply was in regards to Sav stating that Colbert was a great tool to help counter the conservative message and now that he's gone it's a big loss because of that. I just stated that it doesn't really matter because most of the people watching are liberals anyway and their mind is already made up. That's my point.

You seem like one of the more closed minded liberals on this board and you are obviously a big Colbert fan. I think someone like you makes up their target audience.

And your point is inaccurate, because Colbert is widely the favorite and has far surpassed Stewart. So no, replacing him will not be easy or seamless because he is the absolute best at what he does. He's not blindly followed for his general views, but because he's really funny and really smart and great at playing his character. It will be a big loss because no one will be as funny.

I think "closed minded liberal" is a bit of an oxymoron, and that "closed minded" and "conservative" are synonymous, as they borderline pride themselves on being closed minded. It's part of their party. Unfortunately.

yeezus
04-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Comedic gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QquTUR9nbC4

You can't fight stupid by outsmarting them, so Colbert has to outstupid the stupid.

nocalgirl10
04-13-2014, 02:54 PM

This.

Colbert will be great. His interviews (Better Know a District) are my favorite. Granted, he won't be able to mock people like he does in those, but he'll find some balance and still make it funny.

acesfull86
04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
I think Colbert is an unfunny douche, but I'm in bed by 9:30 anyway, so good for him.

jpx7
04-14-2014, 05:15 PM

Ha.

goldfly
04-14-2014, 06:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FTF4Oz4dI

The Chosen One
04-14-2014, 11:53 PM
Ferguson may not show it, but he's certainly upset that he was passed over.

How can you say Colbert can excel on the Late Show, and then say Ferguson couldn't? That's not a shot at Colbert by any means, I just think Ferguson wanted the chance to see what he could do at 11:30.

Ironic that Dave screwed a guy waiting to bump up to his slot in a way he got screwed over.

zitothebrave
04-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Hardly comparable. Letterman and Conan got screwed in ways no one else can complain about.

The Chosen One
04-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Hardly comparable. Letterman and Conan got screwed in ways no one else can complain about.

I think it was sort of implied a few years ago that Ferguson would at least get a chance to try 11:30. He's done the Late Late Show for 9 years now. Colbert is younger than him so he's not going to get a chance via age and next in line.

zitothebrave
04-15-2014, 12:05 AM
I think it was sort of implied a few years ago that Ferguson would at least get a chance to try 11:30. He's done the Late Late Show for 9 years now. Colbert is younger than him so he's not going to get a chance via age and next in line.

Yeah, not comparable to Conan and Letterman where Conan signed a contract that basically kept him at NBC to take over late night, and Letterman was 11 and a half and replaced by someone with no real experience. Ferguson should have been consdiered and I'm sure he was but they chose Colbert. If they want to beat Fallon, you don't fight with Ferguson.

The Chosen One
04-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah, not comparable to Conan and Letterman where Conan signed a contract that basically kept him at NBC to take over late night, and Letterman was 11 and a half and replaced by someone with no real experience. Ferguson should have been consdiered and I'm sure he was but they chose Colbert. If they want to beat Fallon, you don't fight with Ferguson.

Ferguson has a stipulation/bonus in his contract that pays him more if he DOESN'T get the 11:30 slot.

Letterman hadn't beaten Leno in about 19 years consistently in the ratings. Don't know if Colbert is going to beat Fallon consistently for years. The Tonight Show, like Leno said, is an elite institution. Unless Leno himself took over Dave's spot, highly doubtful Colbert will steal Fallon's ratings.

zitothebrave
04-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Already was beating Letterman in the key demographic.

sturg33
04-15-2014, 09:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FTF4Oz4dI

I watched 8 minutes and never laughed out loud once...

The Chosen One
04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
You don't have a soul.

This was also funny because of the unease of Bush and Laura. Don't think they were expecting the pot shots.

The Chosen One
04-15-2014, 09:21 AM
You don't have a soul.

This was also funny because of the unease of Bush and Laura. Don't think they were expecting the pot shots.

zitothebrave
04-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Wow 6 minutes apart repost. That's pretty epic.

The Chosen One
04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Wow 6 minutes apart repost. That's pretty epic.

It's raining, I was driving, plus my phone was still pinging... so yes.

Runnin
04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm disappointed that Colbert took the job. What a waste of his talent. It's like taking a great musician and making him play the same corny solo for the next 30 years.

The Chosen One
04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Ferguson out after 10 years.

I really really like Colbert, but Ferg paid his dues 10 years and was deserving at 1130 or at least an opportunity. If he flops, then you can still snatch up Colbert from another CBS property. People say Ferguson's style would not work at 1130, then say Colbert would have no time switching from political satirist to late night talk show host. Ferguson deserved an opportunity to get a chance and least see if he had new tricks to adapt to 1130.

I don't care for Fallon or Meyers tbh, looks like the Stewart and Colbert combo will remain supreme.

zitothebrave
04-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Don't really blame Ferguson for leaving. CBS is going for the jugular. Late Night is pushing for younger crowds and Colbert crushes Ferguson already. It's a risk on their behalf. But you have to take risks. Ferguson didn't fit many molds. I think he can do a Conan and find a niche on cable to live in. I don't think Ferguson would have succeeded in the new market for late night. Call me crazy but I think Colbert is a better bet because the initial buzz alone will lead to some draw.

Krgrecw
05-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Joel McHale got the late,late show.

The Chosen One
05-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Larry Wilmore replaces Stephen Colbert.

zitothebrave
05-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Larry WIlmore should do fine. I'm not a huge fan of McHale taking over. We'll see how he handles it. I never really liked him on Talk Soup.

jpx7
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM

CBS is really getting their youth-demographic ducks in a row.

I'm not a huge fan of McHale taking over. We'll see how he handles it. I never really liked him on Talk Soup.

Largely agree. Though, if Dan Harmon's writing for him, and/or Alison Brie's his co-host, I'd watch.

But hell: they should have just gone with Alison Brie.

Hawk
05-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Has anybody seen John Oliver's new show on HBO yet? A friend was raving about it.

zitothebrave
05-15-2014, 04:47 PM
CBS is really getting their youth-demographic ducks in a row.

Largely agree. Though, if Dan Harmon's writing for him, and/or Alison Brie's his co-host, I'd watch.

But hell: they should have just gone with Alison Brie.

Imagine Alison Brie Bikini hour

jpx7
05-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Imagine Alison Brie Bikini hour

Now that's a Kickstarter to which I'd contribute.

zitothebrave
05-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Now that's a Kickstarter to which I'd contribute.

Kickstarter, more like tent pants hour.

50PoundHead
05-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Been busy with work. Hadn't heard about McHale taking over for Ferguson. He should do well in the snark department, but Talk Soup really writes itself so there will be a challenging transition for him.

I like Larry Wilmore and it will be fun to see if he can carry a show. I'm guessing he'll be way more buttoned down than W. Kamau Bell (who I find very entertaining), but I love Wilmore's really subtle style.

weso1
05-15-2014, 07:00 PM

I just don't think he's going to work out. He's perfect for his show on E! but I just don't see it in regards to late night.

Krgrecw
05-15-2014, 09:48 PM
I just don't think he's going to work out. He's perfect for his show on E! but I just don't see it in regards to late night.

Agree. That's how I feel about Colbert. Some people are better and perform better in Thier niche vs the big stage.

zitothebrave
05-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Comparing Colbert's resume and McHale's resume is like comparing Apples and Cancer.

The Chosen One
02-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Jon Stewart announced he's stepping down from The Daily Show at the end of this year.

Sucks for Comedy Central to lose Colbert and Stewart in a year's time. Wilmore has been pretty good.

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 08:57 PM
We'll see how Wilmore trends if it's negative they may ditch the news at 11 thing and go some other way.

goldfly
02-10-2015, 09:22 PM
We'll see how Wilmore trends if it's negative they may ditch the news at 11 thing and go some other way.

doubt that

A little over a year ago, the line of succession at "The Daily Show" was clear, and it was deep. If Jon Stewart were to step down — maybe to finally take that broadcast network late-night job he'd always been rumored for — then Stephen Colbert would get the job. If Colbert didn't want to leave "The Colbert Report," then John Oliver had just wrapped up a brilliant stint filling in for Stewart over the summer. And if Oliver was somehow unavailable, well... "The Daily Show" had a lot of talented people on that bench like Samantha Bee, Jason Jones and Larry Wilmore.

And then... things got complicated. Oliver left to do "Last Week Tonight" for HBO — a decision he doesn't seem to regret in the slightest, based on the sheer joy on his face during each installment. David Letterman retired, and CBS moved quickly to hire Colbert to replace him. Wilmore was promoted to succeed Colbert as host of the new "The Nightly Show."

So now that Jon Stewart has announced his "Daily Show" retirement, who's left to succeed him?

Bee and Jones are still there, and the married duo could bring a new energy to the show as co-hosts. Or if Comedy Central wants to promote from within while continuing to bring more diversity to late-night (which is all-male and, save for Wilmore, all-white), Jessica Williams or Aasif Mandvi have put in their time in the trenches. The instant creative success of both "Last Week Tonight" and "The Nightly Show" suggests "The Daily Show" has become a well-oiled host-producing machine, and it's entirely possible that anyone from the current roster (including occasional contributors like Kristen Schaal) could step up and do the job.

As alums go, I wouldn't expect Steve Carell or John Hodgman to come back to host, but Comedy Central could also reach outside the group affiliated with the show. Remember, waaaay back in the days of ancient Rome Craig Kilborn, Brian Unger seemed like he was being groomed to take over the show, and instead Comedy Central brought in Stewart, who completely reinvented "The Daily Show" from a superficial parody of local news into what it would become: an institution that eventually grew more respected than the many straight journalists it was lampooning.

And Comedy Central will find a successor for Stewart. The franchise is too important at this point. Johnny Carson got replaced. Letterman is about to be replaced. No cow is too sacred in this business, no matter how great Stewart was.

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Reading that 2 former daily show correspondents come to mind as someone I'd like to see get a show. Demetri Martin and Mo Rocca. Mo Rocca has a weird cooking channel show, Demetri Martin has tours but I don't think he's doing much else.

Bj1133
02-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Reading that 2 former daily show correspondents come to mind as someone I'd like to see get a show. Demetri Martin and Mo Rocca. Mo Rocca has a weird cooking channel show, Demetri Martin has tours but I don't think he's doing much else.

I'm a big fan of Demetri Martin. I really enjoyed his short lived "Important Things" show on Comedy Central a few years ago

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Demetri Martin. I really enjoyed his short lived "Important Things" show on Comedy Central a few years ago

Important Things only lasting 2 seasons is a classic example so shenanigans in television.

Runnin
02-10-2015, 11:43 PM
I'm sure they're out there somewhere but I don't know of anyone who can replace Jon Stewart. He's got that perfect combination of sincerity and wackiness.

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 11:45 PM
I'm sure they're out there somewhere but I don't know of anyone who can replace Jon Stewart. He's got that perfect combination of sincerity and wackiness.

Conan. But he's got his own thang.

The Chosen One
09-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Colbert starting off on fire.

Using a lot of elements from the Report.

Interesting to see if he'll continue using elements from the Report, or slowly transition to new stuff once the audience is there. So far I'm sold on him, which you will find in this thread I was initially skeptical he could go from political satirist to generic late night talk show host.

zitothebrave
09-08-2015, 11:11 PM
He was using his style of humor. Without pandering to his "character" of being a pro-Bush, O'reilly disciple.

It's good but I hope he evolves as well.

chop2chip
09-09-2015, 02:12 AM
He was using his style of humor. Without pandering to his "character" of being a pro-Bush, O'reilly disciple.

It's good but I hope he evolves as well.
I have no doubt he will succeed. He simply so much smarter than the rest of his competition. Give him time and he will have the late night format mastered.

Runnin
09-09-2015, 08:53 AM
I thought the show sucked. Such a waste of his talent. Like the world needs another talk show host, though I'm sure he'll do clever things. The genre is already past the saturation point. The best Shakespearean actor just got a soap opera. Whoopee.

At least he had Derek Trucks and Buddy Guy on.

50PoundHead
09-09-2015, 12:58 PM
I thought he did well. A bit over the top at a couple of points, but generally solid. Thought his interview with Jeb went really well (for both of them). I think they were both a little nervous. Fun to watch Clooney simply be a goof. I agree with chop2chip that he's simply a lot smarter than either Fallon or Kimmel (which shouldn't matter because the target audiences are somewhat different). Colbert has a chance to be both funny and weighty.

The Chosen One
09-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Colbert's opening show destroyed Fallon and Kimmel. Higher rating than both of them combined. I remember when Leno used to double Letterman's.

After Colbert, Ferguson and Stewart all left I had no reason for late night but now I think I may keep my dvr alive at 1130 now.

50PoundHead
09-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Colbert's opening show destroyed Fallon and Kimmel. Higher rating than both of them combined. I remember when Leno used to double Letterman's.

After Colbert, Ferguson and Stewart all left I had no reason for late night but now I think I may keep my dvr alive at 1130 now.

His guest list has been great and I'll be curious to see if he can keep that rolling. The other things I've noticed about the show is that it is pretty much all Colbert and that he has a fabulous writing staff. No announcer or second banana. Pretty short monologue, but a lot of Colbert-centric stuff. He's been a better interviewer than I thought he'd be although he "jumps" his guests' responses periodically.

Fallon and Kimmel will likely be hipper, but I think Colbert will build on Letterman's audience.

The Chosen One
09-12-2015, 10:18 AM
His guest list has been great and I'll be curious to see if he can keep that rolling. The other things I've noticed about the show is that it is pretty much all Colbert and that he has a fabulous writing staff. No announcer or second banana. Pretty short monologue, but a lot of Colbert-centric stuff. He's been a better interviewer than I thought he'd be although he "jumps" his guests' responses periodically.

Fallon and Kimmel will likely be hipper, but I think Colbert will build on Letterman's audience.

I actually think Colbert is more popular with the younger audience than Fallon or Kimmel.

And yes it is kind of strange to not have an announcer as that was usually the Late Night tradition. But I guess that's part of his character's ego.

jpx7
09-12-2015, 11:39 AM
I actually think Colbert is more popular with the younger audience than Fallon or Kimmel.

And yes it is kind of strange to not have an announcer as that was usually the Late Night tradition. But I guess that's part of his character's ego.

One of my favorite lines of his so far was his quip: "I used to play a narcissistic conversative pundit; now I'm just a narcissist."

BedellBrave
09-12-2015, 08:58 PM
I thought the interviews with both Bush and Biden were well done - and did different things and that he was up front and honest in a humorous way with his own political biases. In the Biden one, there was more depth as should be expected per Biden's losses. I think that Colbert can pull that off because that's a part of who he is.

Krgrecw
08-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Rumors of Colbert being demoted down the clock are starting to be louder and louder.

Called Colbert sucking before it happened. Dudes a gimmick.

Runnin
08-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Rumors of Colbert being demoted down the clock are starting to be louder and louder.

He's not a gimmick. He's too talented for the late night shtick.

I thought it was a mistake.

goldfly
08-21-2016, 11:30 PM

classic Kgrecw

The Chosen One
08-21-2016, 11:58 PM

Interesting. Who the hell would they replace him with?

For me, I was a huge Craig Ferguson guy. They should have at least tried to move Ferguson to 1130 even though his show was probably a bit too much for the 1130 crowd. I think he would have done well at 1130. He's very adaptable and he makes interviews go from boring to hilariously interesting.

I gave Corden a try for a few days and didn't like it. I see his Car Karaoke stuff on social media but have never watched it. I just loved Ferguson's show because it never took itself serious and his humor was a lot of IDGAF.

Krgrecw
08-22-2016, 12:12 AM
Interesting. Who the hell would they replace him with?

For me, I was a huge Craig Ferguson guy. They should have at least tried to move Ferguson to 1130 even though his show was probably a bit too much for the 1130 crowd. I think he would have done well at 1130. He's very adaptable and he makes interviews go from boring to hilariously interesting.

I gave Corden a try for a few days and didn't like it. I see his Car Karaoke stuff on social media but have never watched it. I just loved Ferguson's show because it never took itself serious and his humor was a lot of IDGAF.

Word was that Corden was going to move up

The Chosen One
08-22-2016, 12:23 AM
Word was that Corden was going to move up

Googled it, doubt it'd be that way.

Also doubt Colbert would accept a demotion to 12:30. I bet he'd rather go back to Comedy Central at 11:30, and I'm sure Comedy Central would pay him a ton to do it now that Wilmore's show got cancelled and Daily Show is getting crap ratings.

I also would be very pissed at CBS for letting Ferguson go and giving Corden 11:30 when Ferguson was way funnier and entertaining htan Corden.

Krgrecw
08-22-2016, 01:01 AM
Was Ferguson fired or did he quit when he didn't move up?

The Chosen One
08-22-2016, 01:05 AM

Quit. I don't remember if he was promised the gig but he did have a clause in his contract that if he wasn't offered Letterman's job (Letterman's tv production company owned Ferguson's show) he would either get a handsome pay raise or a huge buyout.

Runnin
08-22-2016, 02:55 AM

Ferguson said he was tired of doing the show but I think he's the best of the bunch, at least in that role.

The Chosen One
08-22-2016, 03:00 AM
Ferguson said he was tired of doing the show but I think he's the best of the bunch, at least in that role.

He definitely took the high road. He had a clause in his contract at the time that if he wasn't given Dave's job he would get a nice raise to stay at 1230 or a nice bonus buyout.

I think if he went to 1130 he would have stayed and done well.

jpx7
08-22-2016, 03:04 AM
Colbert's been great. I think it'd be hilariously short-sighted for CBS to outmaneuver themselves into losing him.

The Chosen One
08-22-2016, 03:06 AM
Colbert's been great. I think it'd be hilariously short-sighted for CBS to outmaneuver themselves into losing him.

Ultimate CBS swerve? Replace Colbert with Leno.

Not everyone likes Leno but I always did.

50PoundHead
08-22-2016, 08:24 AM
I'm partial to Colbert, but I can understand some of the consternation. I think part of his problem is that a fair segment of the viewership that migrated over from his Comedy Central show thought his new show would be an extension of his previous work. I think the other problem is his demographic runs a bit to the Boomer side of the ledger and Corden's runs younger. Corden has come up with a couple of gimmicks that are really working for him and his show seems more tech savvy with the ready-made clips for viral distribution (Fallon is also very successful with that style). That's not Colbert's strength. His show is clearly more old school.

jpx7
08-22-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm partial to Colbert, but I can understand some of the consternation. I think part of his problem is that a fair segment of the viewership that migrated over from his Comedy Central show thought his new show would be an extension of his previous work. I think the other problem is his demographic runs a bit to the Boomer side of the ledger and Corden's runs younger. Corden has come up with a couple of gimmicks that are really working for him and his show seems more tech savvy with the ready-made clips for viral distribution (Fallon is also very successful with that style). That's not Colbert's strength. His show is clearly more old school.

Much more than ratings—which have been quite solid, though they haven't eclipsed Fallon (whose popularity I admit I just don't understand, I'm sure in part because I'm not a mid-forties suburban mom)—I think it's this area that has caused disappointment out of CBS, since they see it as the Next Big Arena. Scratch that: I know it's CBS' biggest locus of disappointment, because they've said as much. But I think a good share of the blame for that fails at CBS' feet, as Comedy Central never asked Colbert or his writers to produce digital content, it was never an important component of his previous show, and in general Comedy Central pretty much took care of all the online nonsense. I hope both CBS and The Last Show's writer's room are able to improve in the area, as I think otherwise Colbert has done a good job negotiating his first year—and I think, moreover, he's just basically funnier than any of the other late night folks (including his fellow TDS alumni).

The Chosen One
08-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Count me in as another that doesn't understand Fallon's popularity.

But then again as 50 said the hot ticket is online clips and their views. Colbert runs a traditional talk show. Corded is much more entertainment.

What's crazy is CBS brought in Colbert because of how popular he is amongst millenials. I think he's way more popular than Fallon

50PoundHead
08-22-2016, 06:38 PM
Count me in as another that doesn't understand Fallon's popularity.

But then again as 50 said the hot ticket is online clips and their views. Colbert runs a traditional talk show. Corded is much more entertainment.

What's crazy is CBS brought in Colbert because of how popular he is amongst millenials. I think he's way more popular than Fallon

I'm not going to argue with Lorne Michaels' genius, but I could never understand how Fallon managed to survive on SNL as long as he did (unless constantly breaking character in skits was considered part of his act). I think Fallon is pretty light and maybe that's what works on late night now. I can't remember Carson bringing many non-entertainment heavyweights on the show, which Colbert does (though less recently than he did in his first few months). I just think Colbert's show is so much smarter in a lot of ways than his competition, but again, maybe folks want a few jokes and nothing more before heading off to bed.

The Chosen One
08-22-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm not going to argue with Lorne Michaels' genius, but I could never understand how Fallon managed to survive on SNL as long as he did (unless constantly breaking character in skits was considered part of his act). I think Fallon is pretty light and maybe that's what works on late night now. I can't remember Carson bringing many non-entertainment heavyweights on the show, which Colbert does (though less recently than he did in his first few months). I just think Colbert's show is so much smarter in a lot of ways than his competition, but again, maybe folks want a few jokes and nothing more before heading off to bed.

I liked Leno for that reason. On days I'd stay up Ferguson was awesome to watch at 1am. Even when I'd dvr Ferguson it was awesome.

zitothebrave
08-23-2016, 06:41 PM

Yeah. I don't get Fallon. He has some good bits here and there, but not enough to keep me. Colbert is really good. I love him, but only late night show I watch regularly is Conan and Last Week Tonight.

zitothebrave
11-10-2017, 08:00 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/arts/television/conan-obrien-artistic-risks-late-night-talk-show.html

50PoundHead
11-11-2017, 12:38 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/arts/television/conan-obrien-artistic-risks-late-night-talk-show.html

Watched the clips. Conan is still the flat-out funniest guy on late night in a pure humor sense.

zitothebrave
11-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Watched the clips. Conan is still the flat-out funniest guy on late night in a pure humor sense.

Conan is pure brilliance. I think what he likes about TBS is it gives him the ability to do the creative things he wants. Sure the budget isn't as nice as the Tonight Show, and I miss Max Weinberg, but I love what he's been able to do with all the creative freedom he has. I mean clueless gamer alone, he's gotten some big game previews because of how popular that has been.