PDA

View Full Version : This is getting ridiculous

sturg33
04-04-2014, 08:20 AM
LINK: Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich Resigns After Protests from Gay Marriage Supporters (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/mozilla-ceo-resigns-calif-gay-marriage-ban-campaign/story?id=23181711)

He uses his own money as he sees fit and must resign as a result? really? Come on people. Advocating your position is one thing. Forcing someone to give up their livelihood is quite another.

Tapate50
04-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Bullying behavior at its finest.

Krgrecw
04-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Disagree with gay marriage you're branded a bigot/racist and they call for your head.

Disagree with consevative viewpoints they uh... Don't care because they know it's your right.

zitothebrave
04-04-2014, 09:04 AM
LINK: Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich Resigns After Protests from Gay Marriage Supporters (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/mozilla-ceo-resigns-calif-gay-marriage-ban-campaign/story?id=23181711)

He uses his own money as he sees fit and must resign as a result? really? Come on people. Advocating your position is one thing. Forcing someone to give up their livelihood is quite another.

I disagree personally, but they were losing employees. Mozilla is a very forward progressive company with a very forward progressive fan base. If I was working for Catholic Charities and gave money to planned parenthood, I'd not count on job security or getting to be a CEO.

goldfly
04-04-2014, 11:58 AM
so you don't like the free market

got ya

sturg33
04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

got ya

LOL

goldfly
04-04-2014, 12:06 PM
LOL

:confused:

the market determined his stance wasn't wanted

you are mad about that

seems like the free market did its job

sturg33
04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
:confused:

the market determined his stance wasn't wanted

you are mad about that

seems like the free market did its job

I'm mad about how sensitive the pro-gay crowd gets about ANYTHING. Holy **** - he donated money to a cause. Get over it.

If anti-gay marriage folks boycotted every store that was in favor, half of US business would shut down

zitothebrave
04-04-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm mad about how sensitive the pro-gay crowd gets about ANYTHING. Holy **** - he donated money to a cause. Get over it.

If anti-gay marriage folks boycotted every store that was in favor, half of US business would shut down

Seriously, you don't get it huh?

If you worked for a company that was progressive, your primary consumers are progressive, you would practice caution.

goldfly
04-04-2014, 12:33 PM

so you don't like the market and you don't have a problem with someone denying rights to another citizen

weird turn around for you

Hawk
04-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Seriously, you don't get it huh?

If you worked for a company that was progressive, your primary consumers are progressive, you would practice caution.

It's not nearly as cut and dry as that.

This guy is being persecuted for his personal beliefs.

That's not right.

NinersSBChamps
04-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Surprised there was an anti gay contingency in California. That's the surprising aspect of the story.

sturg33
04-04-2014, 05:28 PM
so you don't like the market and you don't have a problem with someone denying rights to another citizen

weird turn around for you

I don't think you understand.

I'm not surprised

Krgrecw
04-04-2014, 05:32 PM
The Wall Street Journal reported that OKCupid, the popular online dating website, asked its followers to stop using Firefox. The wireless company Credo Mobile gathered more than 50,000 signatures on a petition calling for Eich to resign.

OKCupid posted a letter denouncing the Mozilla CEO, The New York Times reported.

“Those who seek to deny love and instead enforce misery, shame and frustration are our enemies and we wish them nothing but failure,” the letter stated.

Why not demand that those who oppose gay marriage relinquish the right to own property? Why not take away their right to vote? Why not take away their children? Why not just throw them in jail? Why not force them to work in chain gangs? Why not call for public floggings? Or better yet, let’s just strap them down on gurneys, stick a needle in their arm and rid the world of these intolerant anti-gay bigots once and for all.

I write about this very issue in my upcoming book, “God Less America.” There are pages and pages filled with stories of workers and business owners who’ve either lost their jobs or faced public floggings for their support of traditional marriage.

The left does not believe people who oppose gay marriage should be allowed to engage in the democratic process. And they have a proven track record of intimidating and bullying those who do.

Just ask Angela McCaskill, the chief diversity officer at Gallaudet University. She was suspended after she signed a petition in her church to put a gay marriage referendum on the ballot in Maryland.

Just ask Scott Eckern, the former artistic director of California Musical Theatre. He resigned under pressure after he gave money to support Prop 8. As one activist told The New York Times, “I do believe there comes a time when you cannot sit back and accept what I think is the most dangerous form of bigotry.”

Just ask our nation’s top military officials. They were called into President Obama’s office and told that if they could not support “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” they should resign their commissions.

“We were called into the Oval Office and President Obama looked at all five service chiefs in the eye and said, ‘This is what I want to do,’” said Coast Guard Adm. Robert Papp in remarks reported

The Chosen One
04-04-2014, 06:06 PM
On the issue of dadt, a straight serviceman is no more greater or more loyal to our country than a homosexual one.

I'm glad he did it. If Christians don't want to be persecuted for their beliefs, why should a gay person be persecuted for being who they are especially when they're fighting for our country.

Oklahomahawk
04-04-2014, 07:25 PM
LOL, yeah you guys are about as clued in about freedom of speech and what it REALLY means as conservatives are when they're just pretty damn sure that corporations are people, but workers aren't.

It's no wonder that this country is so effing screwed!!!

NinersSBChamps
04-04-2014, 08:01 PM
On the issue of dadt, a straight serviceman is no more greater or more loyal to our country than a homosexual one.

I'm glad he did it. If Christians don't want to be persecuted for their beliefs, why should a gay person be persecuted for being who they are especially when they're fighting for our country.

No offense Keith, but it's entirely different at least in my opinion if you have served in the military.

The Chosen One
04-04-2014, 08:03 PM
No offense Keith, but it's entirely different at least in my opinion if you have served in the military.

I understand why it might be uncomfortable or awkward but it's the right thing to do. Can't ask a gay person to risk their life for our country and then say keep your secret hidden.

Dalyn
04-04-2014, 08:04 PM
It seems my computer is having trouble loading some of these comments. Rare to have problems with Firefox.

goldfly
04-05-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't think you understand.

I'm not surprised

I understand that you don't like how the free market dealt with this man

I am surprised that you for some reason don't like the free market

The Chosen One
04-05-2014, 12:43 AM
Just like the entire duck dynasty saga, free speech is allowed by everyone but there are consequences in the private sector for things you say.

Can't count the amount of conservatives that said Phil getting suspended by a&e for his comments was a&e violating his free speech rights. Free speech is protected by you against the government not your employer.

Free market dealt with this. People wanted him out and now he's out. No idea why you don't understand this sturg.

Hawk
04-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Lol 'free market'

KL you need to go back to economics 101.

sturg33
04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
You guys completely misunderstood my criticism…

What is ridiculous is the REACTION of the left. They are the most sensitive group of people in world history

Oklahomahawk
04-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Just like the entire duck dynasty saga, free speech is allowed by everyone but there are consequences in the private sector for things you say.

Can't count the amount of conservatives that said Phil getting suspended by a&e for his comments was a&e violating his free speech rights. Free speech is protected by you against the government not your employer.

Free market dealt with this. People wanted him out and now he's out. No idea why you don't understand this sturg.

Come on SAV, you know what I'm talking about (not sure if you were talking to me or not, just thought I would go ahead and clarify) I always said A&E or whatever network it was probably had every legal right to fire Phil or rehire them once they started catch flack for firing him, that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about how everybody (pretty much) on the left jumps all over people who say anything negative about certain subjects, such as same sex relations. The true measure of whether a person, group, or nation really cares about freedom of speech is whether they do/don't defend the free speech rights of a person who DISAGREES with them. You guys have now got it to where as long as people agree with you, they're cool and deserve all those 1st amendment protections, but anything they say that bothers you, all you have to do is brand whatever they said as "hate speech" and then you don't have to allow it. What's any different about that attitude and the attitude of the Cheney administration practicing the same kind of censure (or in some cases even character assassination) of anyone who disagreed with their "we'll invade any damn place we want and anyone who questions is just doesn't support the troops"?? Remember a real champion of free speech stands up next to someone they absolutely loathe when their rights to free speech are being challenged as they do when it's someone they agree with 100%

Oklahomahawk
04-05-2014, 10:21 AM

What is ridiculous is the REACTION of the left. They are the most sensitive group of people in world history

I think this guy might give them a run for their money (though I do agree they're pretty touchy)

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/gty_dick_cheney_ll_120326_wg.jpg

I'll let you guys caption it.

goldfly
04-05-2014, 11:20 AM

yes, the other side that thinks Christians are being persecuted in this country and that there is a war on Christmas is the bastion of sanity

congrats on going wedge issue though and telling the free market how to act. the free market loves regulations

edit: i just saw "in world history" hahahaha

The Chosen One
04-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I'd be a little sensitive too if I had a political party pushing an agenda to constitutionally discriminate against me, and at the same time pass state laws that would make it easier to discriminate against me.

Do you think if gay rights' activists weren't as sensitive and just passive, that there would be legalized same sex marriage in as many states as there are?

Dalyn
04-05-2014, 11:39 AM

http://cdn.frontpagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/jihadist.jpg

Dalyn
04-05-2014, 11:40 AM
yes, the other side that thinks Christians are being persecuted in this country and that there is a war on Christmas is the bastion of sanity

congrats on going wedge issue though and telling the free market how to act. the free market loves regulations

edit: i just saw "in world history" hahahaha

:happy0157:

The Chosen One
04-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Come on SAV, you know what I'm talking about (not sure if you were talking to me or not, just thought I would go ahead and clarify) I always said A&E or whatever network it was probably had every legal right to fire Phil or rehire them once they started catch flack for firing him, that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about how everybody (pretty much) on the left jumps all over people who say anything negative about certain subjects, such as same sex relations. The true measure of whether a person, group, or nation really cares about freedom of speech is whether they do/don't defend the free speech rights of a person who DISAGREES with them. You guys have now got it to where as long as people agree with you, they're cool and deserve all those 1st amendment protections, but anything they say that bothers you, all you have to do is brand whatever they said as "hate speech" and then you don't have to allow it. What's any different about that attitude and the attitude of the Cheney administration practicing the same kind of censure (or in some cases even character assassination) of anyone who disagreed with their "we'll invade any damn place we want and anyone who questions is just doesn't support the troops"?? Remember a real champion of free speech stands up next to someone they absolutely loathe when their rights to free speech are being challenged as they do when it's someone they agree with 100%

I loathe the KKK, but I still respect their right to protest like they did in Atlanta. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not, but if I can do everything I can within the boundaries of law to put them out of business I would.

I think businesses more than anything understand how much money gay's have, and gay supporters. You discriminate against 1 gay person, you aren't factoring in their friends whom will find out and protest your business as well. Gay rights have evolved, and are no longer gays themselves. You see parents of gay kids going out and marching now in support as well, that was unheard of decades ago.

I think what people are confusing, is free speech and opinions that have consequences. Like Zito said, progressive company, progressive consumers, should know better. If you're a liberal campaign manager, there's a 99.9% certainty you aren't going to work and manage a Republican campaign. You still respect the Republican campaign's right to free speech, but you are working against them.

Politics should not be in the workplace, so this CEO resigning is a prime example of it.

CEO's not going to jail, he's not being deported.

People called for his ousting, and if there wasn't financial components to this he'd still be working.

EDIT: I wasn't talking to you BTW, I was directing to sturg.

Hawk
04-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Eich should sue Mozilla for discrimination. And the HRC. He'd probably win. I don't think I've ever seen such an egregious example of corporate bigotry exhibited before.

If the tables were turned in this situation -- a conservative board pushing out a CEO over a donation against Prop 8 -- people would be going caustically ballistic.

weso1
04-05-2014, 01:58 PM
I honestly think this kind of thing turns people off of the gay marriage movement. This is pretty extremist. I mean honestly gays are winning/are going to win the gay marriage battle so why bother with something so petty? This seems unnecessarily mean spirited. Just a case of mob mentality.

weso1
04-05-2014, 02:00 PM
I loathe the KKK,

That's not what you told me via PM the other day. You went on and on about how much you love the KKK.

weso1
04-05-2014, 02:01 PM

got ya

YOU SO GOT HIM! GOOD ONE!

Oklahomahawk
04-05-2014, 02:45 PM
I moved this to the top so that I could respond to it first. EDIT: I wasn't talking to you BTW, I was directing to sturg. I apologize, I had been meaning to address this for a while, I just never saw the opportunity. I guess I should have waited until I found a better opportunity, I just jumped in here, sorry about that.

I loathe the KKK, but I still respect their right to protest like they did in Atlanta. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not, but if I can do everything I can within the boundaries of law to put them out of business I would.---This is how I feel. Sometimes you have to "hold your nose" while you're doing the right thing in a democracy.

I think businesses more than anything understand how much money gay's have, and gay supporters. You discriminate against 1 gay person, you aren't factoring in their friends whom will find out and protest your business as well. Gay rights have evolved, and are no longer gays themselves. You see parents of gay kids going out and marching now in support as well, that was unheard of decades ago. I'm actually fine with the Rosa Parks approach, get together with a business or a person if you don't agree with them, but I do think weso has a point on this, any time you have a group that already has the pitchforks and torches out and ready to go and you jump on anyone who disagrees with your point of view that's more mobocracy than democracy and you know as well as I do we're moving towards that on both the left and right wings in this country. The prevalence of social media is probably what is most responsible for things getting to this point IMO. I've always said that I'm against same sex marriage being equated with regular marriage, even though I would never be for any state passing a law to discriminate against them and I've also always said that if any given state votes to legalize it then so be it. That's what a democracy does. Oh and any person who physically harms a gay person should be immediately locked up in a prison full of them until I say they can be let out. to me there's always room for disagreements, but violence NEVER gets to enter the picture except in cases of self defense.

I think what people are confusing, is free speech and opinions that have consequences. Like Zito said, progressive company, progressive consumers, should know better. If you're a liberal campaign manager, there's a 99.9% certainty you aren't going to work and manage a Republican campaign. You still respect the Republican campaign's right to free speech, but you are working against them. As I said I'm OK with consumers spending their money hand in hand with their beliefs, but I think we should all be careful here not to get too aggressive too quickly on these things. I freakin' hate Wal Mart but I still shop there sometimes.

Politics should not be in the workplace, so this CEO resigning is a prime example of it. "Forced politics" should not be in the workplace but if I want to have a Ron Paul sticker on my desk, or a Mitt Romney sticker, or a Barrack Obama sticker, or a marriage is between 1 man and 1 women sticker, or a same sex marriage is cool sticker on my desk, any of these should be fine as long as it doesn't otherwise affect my work.

CEO's not going to jail, he's not being deported. Not today, but you can't tell me there aren't extremists in this country who wouldn't want to literally lock up anyone who disagrees with them.

People called for his ousting, and if there wasn't financial components to this he'd still be working. I saw that Dalyn liked Firefox and it used to be my favorite browser too, and on my laptop it still is, but the one of my desktop isn't very good anymore. Google Chrome has become my fave, though it has been a little shaky lately. IE now has sucked (as in being able to suck a bowling ball through a garden hose) for some time now. I NEVER use it anymore and it used to be my favorite. Maybe if he was spending the time and money to make sure his stinking browser worked correctly none of this would have happened.

Oklahomahawk
04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
That's not what you told me via PM the other day. You went on and on about how much you love the KKK.

That's how these big time big monied discussion forum owning types are man, they say one thing in public but another thing entirely in the PMs. :icon_biggrin:

The Chosen One
04-05-2014, 03:06 PM

The gays had their pitchforks fort he Phil Robertson case. He was "suspended indefinitely", which was code for until the heat on this "controversy" died down. Robertson is back, Duck Dynasty continues to make millions.

I think having a marriage between 1 man and 1 woman sticker is worse than an Obama-Romney-Paul sticker. Most people wouldn't get offended (I see more Republicans disgusted if you say you voted for Obama than vice versa) if you said you were voting for the other party, it's when you start talking about issues specifically then it gets heated.

There are always extremists, I don't think any gay person would shoot a politician for their freedom, while on the other hand I sometimes wonder the genuine validity of things I read on the tea party facebook page about shooting Obama if he was in their city, etc.

I haven't used firefox since I had a PC, been using Mac ever since and even when I did have a PC I was leaning towards Chrome overall and sometimes Opera.

Anyways back to the issue at hand, I think Eich is moreso on the hotseat because this is a "ban" on gay marriage and not a proposal to legalize. I think the issue of banning or prohibiting something is way more testy than saying you disagree.

What OkCupid did was their choice of using free speech as well. Free Speech does not grant anyone immunity from consequences in the private sector, only from the government as we all should know. My co-manager can't tell my other co-worker he wants to sleep with her and expect to use the freedom of speech card.

Why do conservatives (maybe not yall here but the ones I've eben reading on this story) find it hard to believe that gays and liberals can organize and boycott just as well as they can? Are they not allowed the same right? I see praise for the Tea Party forcing moderate democrats out of office, as well as pressuring moderate Republicans to vote a certain way and give htem ultimatums or they'll get primaried.

This all boils down to $$$. Companies don't want politics and personal views to get in the way of business. Isn't that what conservatives want? For the business to focus on increasing profits?!?? It's a different world, and goes back to what Zito said. You are CEO of a progressive company, and your demographic is progressive. Why put yourself in that situation?

goldfly
04-05-2014, 03:16 PM
YOU SO GOT HIM! GOOD ONE!

thanks weso

i love the all caps to off set my use of not using them at all btw

50PoundHead
04-05-2014, 03:21 PM
I get tired of the political correctness, but at the same time, think of all the careers and lives that were ruined during the Red Scare when people who did something as innocuous as attending a meeting or signing a petition got dragged through the mud (and then some). It's a bit too stylized, but the movie "Trumbo" is available for streaming at Netflix and I urge everyone to watch it. Tremendous story.

AerchAngel
04-05-2014, 03:38 PM
The gays had their pitchforks fort he Phil Robertson case. He was "suspended indefinitely", which was code for until the heat on this "controversy" died down. Robertson is back, Duck Dynasty continues to make millions.

I think having a marriage between 1 man and 1 woman sticker is worse than an Obama-Romney-Paul sticker. Most people wouldn't get offended (I see more Republicans disgusted if you say you voted for Obama than vice versa) if you said you were voting for the other party, it's when you start talking about issues specifically then it gets heated.

There are always extremists, I don't think any gay person would shoot a politician for their freedom, while on the other hand I sometimes wonder the genuine validity of things I read on the tea party facebook page about shooting Obama if he was in their city, etc.

I haven't used firefox since I had a PC, been using Mac ever since and even when I did have a PC I was leaning towards Chrome overall and sometimes Opera.

Anyways back to the issue at hand, I think Eich is moreso on the hotseat because this is a "ban" on gay marriage and not a proposal to legalize. I think the issue of banning or prohibiting something is way more testy than saying you disagree.

What OkCupid did was their choice of using free speech as well. Free Speech does not grant anyone immunity from consequences in the private sector, only from the government as we all should know. My co-manager can't tell my other co-worker he wants to sleep with her and expect to use the freedom of speech card.

Why do conservatives (maybe not yall here but the ones I've eben reading on this story) find it hard to believe that gays and liberals can organize and boycott just as well as they can? Are they not allowed the same right? I see praise for the Tea Party forcing moderate democrats out of office, as well as pressuring moderate Republicans to vote a certain way and give htem ultimatums or they'll get primaried.

This all boils down to $$$. Companies don't want politics and personal views to get in the way of business. Isn't that what conservatives want? For the business to focus on increasing profits?!?? It's a different world, and goes back to what Zito said. You are CEO of a progressive company, and your demographic is progressive. Why put yourself in that situation?

The definition of marriage has two meanings, one religious, one government sponsored. I support the latter and I call it a union, my family and kind for the most part accept it as such, but the church (black) for the most part don't. I just don't understand why we must accept something that we feel in our gut is not. I can't see how a man/man or woman/woman can have offspring unless they are herms.

It bothers me that we are pigeon holed in bigotry even though I have no problems with it. I have family and friends who are gay and they have no problems with my view and honestly they agree with me, the two of religion and government should be separated AND AGREE that people/business should not be targeted because of that. They believe it makes the problem worse and why the hatred grows. They believe that they will win the war if you can call it that, but they will cause more harm than good.

This is what Okie is referring to and I agree and my gay family and friends as well.

Gary82
04-05-2014, 03:41 PM
I can't see how a man/man or woman/woman can have offspring unless they are herms.

I certainly hope this isn't an argument against gay marriage.

AerchAngel
04-05-2014, 03:42 PM

It's the glamourization of it that causes this issue.

You hate gays will be PLASTERED in the liberal media which controls all media. Faux News is not the media to me, but a mouth piece and have no bite.

When you glamourize something it is viral and that is why it is an issue. Just like Chick Fil A or Ducks Dynasty, they target a liberal stance and it gets news. If it was a some mom and pop shop, like we have in this city, there is no news, if people don't like it they won't go there, but they been in busy for 50 years and getting business even though they do not tolerate things like that.

It is a scare tactic that is working, it is a war they are winning, but after they win, then what? You never going to change people's minds or them submitting on their own free will, but by a gun(besmirching) to bully them.

AerchAngel
04-05-2014, 03:44 PM
I certainly hope this isn't an argument against gay marriage.

marriage by the government has been cool with me since the beginning, but in the church they are not married and live in sin, that is my stance. But I am not the one who is judging them, He will. It is up to Him to do that but I will follow His lead and just shake my head and pray for them.

Gary82
04-05-2014, 03:48 PM
marriage by the government has been cool with me since the beginning, but in the church they are not married and live in sin, that is my stance. But I am not the one who is judging them, He will. It is up to Him to do that but I will follow His lead and just shake my head and pray for them.

Kindly step down from your high horse, good sir.

The reason I quoted you was that it seems to me you believe that the purpose of marriage is to have kids. There are a lot of marriages with no kids. Are they living in sin or violating some religious covenant?

AerchAngel
04-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Kindly step down from your high horse, good sir.

The reason I quoted you was that it seems to me you believe that the purpose of marriage is to have kids. There are a lot of marriages with no kids. Are they living in sin or violating some religious covenant?

I am not on a high horse per se. I just tell you how I feel. Judge me you can, change my mind, you cannot. Marriage in God's eyes is about procreation so children and then their children and so on and so forth, be fruitful and multiply He said. It is His will we do this, but we have a choice, those who don't want to have children it is their choice, He is not making them. A sacrament to the church is to multiply, but even under that guise is troublesome as some multiply out of greed and stupidity, but a soul is a soul and we must honor that if you believe and if you don't, again, that is your choice and I am not the person to judge you.

Gary82
04-05-2014, 04:04 PM
I am not on a high horse per se. I just tell you how I feel. Judge me you can, change my mind, you cannot. Marriage in God's eyes is about procreation so children and then their children and so on and so forth, be fruitful and multiply He said. It is His will we do this, but we have a choice, those who don't want to have children it is their choice, He is not making them. A sacrament to the church is to multiply, but even under that guise is troublesome as some multiply out of greed and stupidity, but a soul is a soul and we must honor that if you believe and if you don't, again, that is your choice and I am not the person to judge you.

You're speaking from a stance of knowing. You know more and thus are more pure. In reality, you think you know, so come down and join the rest of us troglodytes.

So, by what you just said, those who marry and make a conscious decision not to have children are living in sin or are violating a religious covenant. In that sense, those who are straight and marry and dont procreate are just as wrong and sinful as homosexuals marrying.

AerchAngel
04-05-2014, 04:13 PM
You're speaking from a stance of knowing. You know more and thus are more pure. In reality, you think you know, so come down and join the rest of us troglodytes.

So, by what you just said, those who marry and make a conscious decision not to have children are living in sin or are violating a religious covenant. In that sense, those who are straight and marry and dont procreate are just as wrong and sinful as homosexuals marrying.

That is your opinion and opinion alone. No, God gives you that choice. He is your judge, I am not.

I cannot change your mind what you feel about my opinion.

I will leave it at that.

sturg33
04-06-2014, 09:12 AM
I'd be a little sensitive too if I had a political party pushing an agenda to constitutionally discriminate against me, and at the same time pass state laws that would make it easier to discriminate against me.

Do you think if gay rights' activists weren't as sensitive and just passive, that there would be legalized same sex marriage in as many states as there are?

A political party? This was a private business man

The Chosen One
04-06-2014, 09:40 AM
A political party? This was a private business man

Must've missed the last 15 years of national politics.

sturg33
04-06-2014, 10:01 AM
We're discussing this issue. And the LGBT crowd is insane

AerchAngel
04-06-2014, 03:26 PM
We're discussing this issue. And the LGBT crowd is insane

Actually, they are bullies, no pun intended <wink>.

goldfly
04-06-2014, 03:43 PM
And the LGBT crowd is insane

it's weird

i guess some people don't like to be treated as a 2nd citizen with not as many rights as others

i guess that makes some people mad

guess they should just "know their place" eh?

Hawk
04-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Hahahaha your poor bleeding heart.

sturg33
04-06-2014, 08:48 PM
it's weird

i guess some people don't like to be treated as a 2nd citizen with not as many rights as others

i guess that makes some people mad

guess they should just "know their place" eh?

You know that I support the LGBT cause on the marriage front, right?

goldfly
04-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Hahahaha your poor bleeding heart.

uh

what?

goldfly
04-07-2014, 12:13 AM
You know that I support the LGBT cause on the marriage front, right?

i have read you say that

yeah

Krgrecw
04-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Is someone supports gay marriage would they also have to support polygamy? If there all consenting adults and such....

goldfly
04-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Is someone supports gay marriage would they also have to support polygamy? If there all consenting adults and such....

has no bearing on this conversation

but to answer the dumb question

sure, i could support it. it wouldn't bother me

sturg33
04-07-2014, 06:51 AM

I support it. As well as prostitution.

Krgrecw
04-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Polygamy fits into the conversation.

If you redefine marriage as two consenting adults instead of man-women wouldn't you have to say 'well if two people can agree why not three?'

If, as some liberals say, not allowing gays to marry is against Thier rights, I would think they'd have to say the same about polygamy.

I'd just like to see a polygamist try to challenge it. If the Christains are in an uproar about gay marriage if like to see them Whig out over polygamy

50PoundHead
04-07-2014, 01:56 PM

I think there are arguments against gay marriage, but by the definition you'e trotted out here, my second marriage would be invalid because my wife was beyond her childbearing years when we wed. We could have chosen to attempt to multiply, but that wouldn't have mattered given the physical reality of the situation.

I get the "second class citizen argument" put forward by the GLBT lobby and it resonates with me somewhat, but I don't know if the hounding of guys like Eich do much good for anyone. I'm just saying this is a slippery slope. But don't get me wrong, there are a lot of groups out there that would love to make every member of the GLBT lobby and their allies second class citizens.

I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the folks at Front Porch Republic, but there are some fairly deep (mostly conservative) thinkers over there and they can be thought-provoking. Found this entry from today to be one worth reading, although I don't agree with much of it.

Link: http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2014/04/equality-culture-perpetual-offense/

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I think there are arguments against gay marriage, but by the definition you'e trotted out here, my second marriage would be invalid because my wife was beyond her childbearing years when we wed. We could have chosen to attempt to multiply, but that wouldn't have mattered given the physical reality of the situation.

I get the "second class citizen argument" put forward by the GLBT lobby and it resonates with me somewhat, but I don't know if the hounding of guys like Eich do much good for anyone. I'm just saying this is a slippery slope. But don't get me wrong, there are a lot of groups out there that would love to make every member of the GLBT lobby and their allies second class citizens.

I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the folks at Front Porch Republic, but there are some fairly deep (mostly conservative) thinkers over there and they can be thought-provoking. Found this entry from today to be one worth reading, although I don't agree with much of it.

Link: http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2014/04/equality-culture-perpetual-offense/

Actually you two didn't get the gist of what I was referring to.

Of course many people can't have kids, what I am referring to you and Gary is that male/female can in most cases produce biologically, you can't in any other instance of same sex unless you are Jesus. I don't think He is going to be upset if you can't have kids but the normality of human nature is innate in us. I know many people that can't have kids due to defects and I don't treat them any more different than I treat normal people or gays. This mindset that I anti-gay is kind of absurd childish to me to be honest and people getting upset shouldn't. I am not denying them anything, not one thing but they are denying me my own opinions based on religion, not everyday life. There is a difference between accepting and denying.

As how I feel "How dare they try to force me to accept them into my religion." Religion is sacred to every individual on this Earth. My best friend on here is Dalyn and he is atheist, do you think I think any less of him than Christians? No. He doesn't force nor bully me to accept it and make me submit to it. All he ask is to accept him for who he is keeping religion out of it or any discussion. See how easy that is. That his how I feel about gays. I am not going to force them to breakup or say HEATHEN YOU HAVE SIN. I do not judge. But I am not going accept them in my christian view of the world and they are going to have to accept it because there is no way in hell I am going to change my mind no matter how much bullying they do.

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Basically.

Marriage is between Man and Women in the Christian world and I believe that and will always. Bullies can try and change my mind but it won't. What can you do to me that have already been done? Nothing. It doesn't affect my life in any shape or form.

They got the "marriage" or "contract" as I call in the corporate world and that is enough, publicly you have your wishes but privately you can't force people nor people should be forced just like serving Jews, Blacks, Hispanics and what not if they don't agree with them or their kind. I agree with this even though I am black. If you don't want to serve me because you feel like that, no sweat off my back because that is your prerogative.

sturg33
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Solid article.

I think it points our exactly what my issue is. That the LGBT group (in this case) will disregard any basic human freedoms in the name of their agenda. They have every right to do it of course, but I believe it ultimately hurts their cause. I, for one, am less likely to defend such a rabid group of bullies.

Another example, my college JMU was recently overtaken by a staged crowd of LGBT students... They spray painted "GAYMU" all over campus. Vandalized "conservative" groups meeting rooms, interrupted and walked through classes as they were happening, while screaming utter nonsense the whole time. By the time they were done, everyone was pissed off at them. As the janitors were seen scrubbing the sidewalks and walls of their vandalism, the "conservative" groups pitched in to help them clean up the campus...

Guess who won the sympathy card among the student population?

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Curios Sturg, what happened?

Being bullied to the point of having to step down is going to get worse. Chick Fil A and Duck Dynasty, if you don't like what they stand for, don't buy their products and now Mozilla, what is next Microsoft or Apple?

Like myself, I can't force whites to accept me fully and don't want them to. If they want to harbor those feelings or see me as substandard, that is on them. Now you prohibit me from providing for my family or attack me physically, then we have an issue.

But in the end, I harbor what I feel and accept and don't accept and if you have a problem with that....tough schitzkis and society be damned for the bullying.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Polygamy fits into the conversation.

If you redefine marriage as two consenting adults instead of man-women wouldn't you have to say 'well if two people can agree why not three?'

If, as some liberals say, not allowing gays to marry is against Thier rights, I would think they'd have to say the same about polygamy.

I'd just like to see a polygamist try to challenge it. If the Christains are in an uproar about gay marriage if like to see them Whig out over polygamy

In theory, I have nothing against polygamy. If consenting adults want to marry each other, and it doesn't bring about abuse, and a form of slavery, who gives a ****? If it's not a part of some weird ****ing cultish practice that is deleterious to its participants...I don't care.

I also don't have anything against prostitution either...in theory again. If it's regulated and legitimate, and it treats its women (and men) with respect and dignity, who gives a ****?

I also don't care if a Japanese man wants to marry a cartoon character.

Anything else?

Julio3000
04-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Lots of folks support prostitution . . . just not its legalization.
:flirty:

Gary82
04-07-2014, 09:07 PM
I also support divorce, gay divorce, cartoon divorce, too.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Lots of folks support prostitution . . . just not its legalization.
:flirty:

It's working in some countries.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Actually you two didn't get the gist of what I was referring to.

Of course many people can't have kids, what I am referring to you and Gary is that male/female can in most cases produce biologically, you can't in any other instance of same sex unless you are Jesus. I don't think He is going to be upset if you can't have kids but the normality of human nature is innate in us. I know many people that can't have kids due to defects and I don't treat them any more different than I treat normal people or gays. This mindset that I anti-gay is kind of absurd childish to me to be honest and people getting upset shouldn't. I am not denying them anything, not one thing but they are denying me my own opinions based on religion, not everyday life. There is a difference between accepting and denying.

I wasn't factoring those who could not have kids. My query had to do with those who were fertile and chose not to have kids. Is that a sin? And if so, was it equal to the sinfulness of gay marriage.

The Chosen One
04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Zito lost his virginity to a prostitute.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Well, if you're gonna lose it, you might as well lose it to a professional.:cooter:

Hawk
04-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I have paid for sex ... and I have been paid for sex.

So I'm neutral on the issue of prostitution.

The Chosen One
04-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I have paid for sex ... and I have been paid for sex.

So I'm neutral on the issue of prostitution.

Wait a second... are you talking about Bill Shanks?

Gary82
04-07-2014, 09:39 PM

http://replygif.net/thumbnail/423.gif

(since y'all like 'rasslin')

zitothebrave
04-07-2014, 09:41 PM

It's not nice to talk about your mom like that

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 11:03 PM
I wasn't factoring those who could not have kids. My query had to do with those who were fertile and chose not to have kids. Is that a sin? And if so, was it equal to the sinfulness of gay marriage.

Of course not.

My belief is marriage is okay by the government for any individuals, man/woman, man/man, woman/woman 3 man/3 woman, man/beast, woman/beast. But when it comes to the church NOPE, man/women only. Only a handful of churches in American and in the world for a fact would actually do a ceremony for gay marriage. They are the fringe churches that would but most would not recognize it. It is okay to be gay, which I am 100 percent behind and you can be of the church, but your acts are against His will and most churches states that as well.

Like I said, my dealings with gays, mostly family and friends are like no other but they know where my line stands in regards to marriage in the church/religion and it ends there. They seem to respect that and have no issue with it and they do not understand why it is blown out of proportion. The government gives them their monetary rights like any other married coupl and that is what they were looking for.

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 11:04 PM

Gon?
Herps?
Clams?
Crabs?

Fess up.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 11:16 PM
They are the fringe churches that would but most would not recognize it. It is okay to be gay, which I am 100 percent behind and you can be of the church, but your acts are against His will and most churches states that as well.

Churches will become more accepting of gay marriage in time. In a generation, it will have wide acceptance (among the electorate, not church going demographic as a whole.) As each generation grows up with its acceptance, it will become more and more of a non issue.

I don't believe it will be a hot issue like abortion, where we will NEVER move on. :facepalm:

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Churches will become more accepting of gay marriage in time. In a generation, it will have wide acceptance (among the electorate, not church going demographic as a whole.) As each generation grows up with its acceptance, it will become more and more of a non issue.

I don't believe it will be a hot issue like abortion, where we will NEVER move on. :facepalm:

It is already widely accepted in most churches just don't slob the knob or wet the carpet and they are okay with it. You just cant get married in church unless they rewrite history (bible) and that ain't happening. Nothing wrong with that. You got a government marriage. What's so important with a church marriage to you or them, really? You slob the knob or wet the carpet as same sex is sin. If you don't care that is your choice and I am not your judge, be happy and do it with your hearts content, makes no difference to me.

As for abortion, kill a baby, it's sin. Case in point, girl preggy at 14 weeks, drunk driver hit her, kill baby, he/she is up for murder charges, but if mom takes a coat hanger to her/him at 14 weeks it's okay. Hmmmm?

Hawk
04-07-2014, 11:34 PM

He's still working on my corner.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 11:34 PM
It is already widely accepted in most churches just don't slob the knob or wet the carpet and they are okay with it. You just cant get married in church unless they rewrite history (bible) and that ain't happening. Nothing wrong with that. You got a government marriage. What's so important with a church marriage to you or them, really? You slob the knob or wet the carpet as same sex is sin. If you don't care that is your choice and I am not your judge, be happy and do it with your hearts content, makes no difference to me.

As for abortion, kill a baby, it's sin. Case in point, girl preggy at 14 weeks, drunk driver hit her, kill baby, he/she is up for murder charges, but if mom takes a coat hanger to her/him at 14 weeks it's okay. Hmmmm?
churches will marry gays. they won't rewrite history or the bible, just choose to ignore certain aspects of it. that's nothing new though. when was the last stoning?

Hawk
04-07-2014, 11:37 PM
when was the last stoning?

Probably about 5 minutes ago somewhere in Maharashtra.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Probably about 5 minutes ago somewhere in Maharashtra.

i was referring to 'Murica, but you're probably right. ugh.

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 11:41 PM
churches will marry gays. they won't rewrite history or the bible, just choose to ignore certain aspects of it. that's nothing new though. when was the last stoning?

No they won't. If they haven't by now, they won't. There is no monetary or media gain for them to do so. They are not a business that the LGT community can bully in this instance.

Forcing someone to accept them as a religious couple will never happen. I know the black community won't or ever will. Myself won't but I gladly accept their government one as I was a best man at my cousins ceremony but it wasn't in the church. He knows my feelings on the matter and he accepts it. How do you feel about that? I have what six gay friends and four gay family members and they have NO problem with my feelings on the matter.

They come to church knowing the feelings and accept them. We welcome them but not their lifestyle in a physical sexual sense like unmarried hetero couples but we do not kick them out. We treat them the same.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 11:46 PM
No they won't. If they haven't by now, they won't. There is no monetary or media gain for them to do so. They are not a business that the LGT community can bully in this instance.

Forcing someone to accept them as a religious couple will never happen. I know the black community won't or ever will. Myself won't but I gladly accept their government one as I was a best man at my cousins ceremony but it wasn't in the church. He knows my feelings on the matter and he accepts it. How do you feel about that? I have what six gay friends and four gay family members and they have NO problem with my feelings on the matter.

They come to church knowing the feelings and accept them. We welcome them but not their lifestyle in a physical sexual sense like unmarried hetero couples but we do not kick them out. We treat them the same.

I'm not saying you are going to change your opinion, or your church presently is going to marry gays. I'm saying in time, as it becomes more accepted and more of a non issue, as children grow up with it being accepted by society, things will change. People will start their own churches if they have to.

I'm not saying it's going to happen next Thursday.

I do believe there will be people that will resist for many years, decades, whatnot, but their numbers will dwindle as time passes. Unless, we hit another dark age, america falls, and social conservatism makes a comeback.

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm not saying you are going to change your opinion, or your church presently is going to marry gays. I'm saying in time, as it becomes more accepted and more of a non issue, as children grow up with it being accepted by society, things will change. People will start their own churches if they have to.

I do believe there will be people that will resist for many years, decades, whatnot, but their numbers will dwindle as time passes. Unless, we hit another dark age, america falls, and social conservatism makes a comeback.

Maybe 200 years, but not in the next few generations it won't happen, especially for Catholics and mainstay Baptists faith, which I am a hybrid of. I don't see it with Mormons, definitely Muslims, Church of God, Church of Christs, Methodists. Lutherans and non denominational I can see it happen but they are hodgepodge of religions which anything can happen.

What I don't understand, why is it import for Christians to marry people in their church? What is there to gain from it? Money?

The government can't force them, do you want them to do that?

AerchAngel
04-07-2014, 11:56 PM

Oh, I am not part of any church or a participant of any religion. I don't believe in them. I might go to different churches but I do not follow their doctrine. I have my own and I will keep it that way until my death.

Gary82
04-07-2014, 11:58 PM
Maybe 200 years, but not in the next few generations it won't happen, especially for Catholics and mainstay Baptists faith, which I am a hybrid of. I don't see it with Mormons, definitely Muslims, Church of God, Church of Christs, Methodists. Lutherans and non denominational I can see it happen but they are hodgepodge of religions which anything can happen.

What I don't understand, why is it import for Christians to marry people in their church? What is there to gain from it? Money?

The government can't force them, do you want them to do that?

No one should force anyone to marry anyone. Are gays forcing priests to marry them? Hardly. There are priests, preachers, whatever, that are willing to marry them.

I don't advocate forcing a religion to marry gays. I'm saying that people of this religion will marry them.

I also think that belief in religion is dwindling and that may coincide with social acceptance of ancient "taboos."

This is just my opinion. I may be incredibly wrong.

Gary82
04-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Oh, I am not part of any church or a participant of any religion. I don't believe in them. I might go to different churches but I do not follow their doctrine. I have my own and I will keep it that way until my death.

Everyone follows their own dogma.

maybe that should read everyone should follow their own set of principles.

within reason.

...well thats subjective....****. nevermind.

AerchAngel
04-08-2014, 12:02 AM
No one should force anyone to marry anyone. Are gays forcing priests to marry them? Hardly. There are priests, preachers, whatever, that are willing to marry them.

I don't advocate forcing a religion to marry gays. I'm saying that people of this religion will marry them.

I also think that belief in religion is dwindling and that may coincide with social acceptance of ancient "taboos."

This is just my opinion. I may be incredibly wrong.

Really? I would love to see this list. The only church that would do them are fringe churches. Like Church of Sweden, Church of Canda, some bumfvck Baptist church that is not sanctioned. No Roman Catholic, Mormon, Muslim or any other main stream church would.

Oh, you are wrong, but you just don't know it yet.

Again, why is it important for marriage to be recognized in the church, it has no bearing on a gay couple, none, whatsoever. They have all the legal rights as a hetero couple. I am so cool with that why not you?

Gary82
04-08-2014, 12:07 AM
i think its ridiculous to expect the "moral majority" to recognize and accept gay marriage (right away). I agree that government recognition is what should be targeted. Is this what we were arguing? I thought we were arguging whether or not straight couples not having kids was as wrong as gay marriage. Damn it, I'm tired and have to sleep.

AerchAngel
04-08-2014, 12:12 AM
i think its ridiculous to expect the "moral majority" to recognize and accept gay marriage (right away). I agree that government recognition is what should be targeted. Is this what we were arguing? I thought we were arguging whether or not straight couples not having kids was as wrong as gay marriage. Damn it, I'm tired and have to sleep.

LOL. yeah, sorry about it bud, we got off track. I have no problems with gays marrying, just the church part I thought you were questioning why God does not sanction it and I provided why in partial.

Get some sleep. I am an insomniac so sleep is hard for me at times.

Gary82
04-08-2014, 12:13 AM
LOL. yeah, sorry about it bud, we got off track. I have no problems with gays marrying, just the church part I thought you were questioning why God does not sanction it and I provided why in partial.

Get some sleep. I am an insomniac so sleep is hard for me at times.

I hear ya. I have to get up early anyway. I guess we'll have to solve our society's problems another night.

50PoundHead
04-08-2014, 07:09 AM
I had a conversation with one of my libertarian-leaning friends yesterday and we agreed the pertinent point here is more about disclosure laws than the nature and definition of marriage. I'm not a fan of the Citizens United decision, but what I don't think the left gets is that these types of witch hunts only strengthen the argument of the Koch brothers for the retention of anti-disclosure laws to protect political speech. I realize this may be just me, but I'd rather Brandon Eich be left alone and we have laws that protect the transparency of mass political discussion than the obverse, where Eich is publicly humiliated and chastised and the case for erecting a wall of anonymity for those who fund political speech is thereby strengthened.