PDA

View Full Version : FINAL Minors Report 4/5/14. Wrapping up the sweep!

rico43
04-05-2014, 11:36 PM
FREE ERNESTO MEJIA

Notable highlights: Victor Reyes joins the party with four hits.
Wren gives Lynchburg second straight walkoff win.
Daniel Rodriguez was overpowering and awesome for Gwinnett.
Meneses career night(?) for Rome.

-----------------------
Lynchburg paper full of interesting info about Sat. win:

The longer players are together through the stops in the minor-league system, the more each can pick up on the tendencies of the teammates. Case in point came with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning of Lynchburg’s 4-3 victory over Frederick.

Kyle Wren knew that Jose Peraza was going to attempt to steal second base. So he took two pitches before Peraza sped to second and followed on the third pitch from Lex Rutledge with a sharp single to left that scored Peraza for the Hillcats’ second straight walk-off victory Saturday night at City Stadium.

“I figured that Jose would try to steal second. The first pitch, he didn’t go. Next pitch, Jose steals, so I’m taking all the way to give him a chance … to get into scoring position,” Wren said.

“I’m looking for a fastball over the plate and trying to get good wood on it. He gave me one middle-away and I got enough on it and hit it up the middle to score [Jose].”

Peraza and Wren played the second half of last season in Rome and the two were staples at the top of that lineup. That chemistry has carried over to the start of the Hillcats’ season.

The ’Cats (2-1) were in position to win the game thanks to a two-run eighth inning. With the bases loaded and one out, Will Skinner lofted a fly ball to deep right field that easily scored Wren and allowed the runners to advance.

Daniel Castro, Friday night’s hero, placed a squeeze bunt perfectly down the third-base line that scored Josh Elander for a 3-2 lead.

The Keys (1-2) scored once in the ninth with two outs to tie the contest at 3-3. Torsten Boss doubled to the gap in right field and came around to score on Adrian Marin’s single to left. The damage was limited as closer Nate Hyatt got Steel Russell to ground out to set up Wren’s heroics.

Eric Pfisterer, who did not pitch Friday night after his name was unintentionally left off the lineup card, kept the Hillcats in the game with 3 ⅔ scoreless innings in relief of starter Wes Parsons.

-------------------

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett (2-1) 4, Durham 1

WP: Rodriguez (1-0) 5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K.
Jaime (Save) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.
G-Braves pitchers struck out 14.
Hamilton 1-2, HR, 3 RBIs, 2 BB.
Mejia 1-4, HR (4th), RBI.

CLASS AA

Mississippi (1-2) 4, Mobile 2

Mobile held to four hits.
SP: W. Perez 4 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K.
WP: Pacheco (1-0) 1 IP, 1 K. Shreve 2 IP, 4 K.
Simmons (Save) 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K.
Loman 2-4, HR, RBI, 2 R.
Nunez 3-4, R, RBI.
Lipka 1-4, RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg, (2-1) 4, Frederick 3

2nd straight walkoff win: Peraza single, SB, Kyle Wren GWRBI single!
SP: Parsons 4.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K.
WP: Hyatt (BS) 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
In between: Pfisterererer 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.
Ahrens 2-4, 2B.
Wren 1-4, RBI, R, BB.
Peraza 1-5, R, SB.
Castro 2-4, RBI.

CLASS A

Rome (1-2) 9, Hagerstown 8

Three-run ninth for Rome; 17 total hits!
SP: Salazar 2 IP, 3 H, 5 ER, 7 BB, 3 K.
WP: Tate (1-0) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 K.
Caratini 2-5, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R.
Meneses 3-3, 2B, HR, RBI, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB.
V. Reyes 4-5, R.
Camargo 3-5, 2 R.
Shrader 2-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI.

rico43
04-05-2014, 11:48 PM
This probably breaks all kinds of unwritten rules, but I personally want to give props to Andrew Sisson over at T---ing C--p for pegging Castro as his under the radar prospect for 2014. Early talk seems to indicate he's the complete package, and not that far from advancing.

Castro, not Andrew.

50PoundHead
04-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Castro is an interesting guy and just shows how much salt you need to take on DSL performances. He went back to the Mexican League and has developed into something interesting. Curious to see what his ceiling is. Wouldn't be surprised if he and Elmer Reyes were battling for the same role at some point.