07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/harper-johnson-play-trade-204027136--mlb.html

:mad0182:

jpx7
07-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Wonderdouche, indeed.

thethe
07-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I officially do not like Harper anymore.

thewupk
07-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Hopefully this keeps his slump going

The Chosen One
07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Welcome Aboard BenchGuy! :tchop:

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 06:03 PM
What a punk! So glad the Braves don't have any guys like that.

benchguy
07-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Welcome Aboard BenchGuy! :tchop:

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 06:17 PM
What a punk! So glad the Braves don't have any guys like that.

Well, there was the whole Freddie Freeman incident earlier this year.

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Well, there was the whole Freddie Freeman incident earlier this year.

Which was?

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Which was?

Freddie acting like a baby about Fredi not letting him play after his oblique injury right before it put him on the DL.

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Freddie acting like a baby about Fredi not letting him play after his oblique injury right before it put him on the DL.

That's different. Freddie wasn't happy about going on the DL because the Braves didn't let him travel with the team. I still don't understand why he didn't get to travel with the team.

BoneThrower
07-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Just my opinion, but I think there's quite a big difference in a player being pissed because the club put him on the DL when he didn't think it was necessary, and another player being told they were giving him the weekend off so he sends his manager a text saying "Play me or trade me".

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 06:29 PM
That's different. Freddie wasn't happy about going on the DL because the Braves didn't let him travel with the team. I still don't understand why he didn't get to travel with the team.

He still acted immaturely by running on the field to shag fly balls when he was explicitly told not to, and for good reason.

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 06:47 PM
He still acted immaturely by running on the field to shag fly balls when he was explicitly told not to, and for good reason.

Ok. Whatever. I don't see how you can compare the two situations.

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Ok. Whatever. I don't see how you can compare the two situations.

I'm not saying one was worse than the other. Young players are just capable of doing rash things sometimes.

In the end, they both just want to play.

ChapelHillMatt
07-12-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't see the big deal honestly

People have to remember how young some of these players are. They are going to show some immaturity from time to time.

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't see the big deal honestly

People have to remember how young some of these players are. They are going to show some immaturity from time to time.

I don't consider what Bryce to be immaturity. I consider it to be a lack of respect for elders and people in higher positions of management than you.

ChapelHillMatt
07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I don't, I think he has passion for the sport he's playing and wants to play and was immature about the way he went about expressing that.

If I lost respect for anyone it's Johnson, if he wanted to give him a day off he should have. He's the manager, he calls the shots.

yeezus
07-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't consider what Bryce to be immaturity. I consider it to be a lack of respect for elders and people in higher positions of management than you.

then what freddie did is the same thing?
i can't get on bryce too much for this. shouldn't have done it, but big deal. johnson really shouldn't air that out to the media either, IMO.

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 08:34 PM

Yet you don't consider what Freeman did to be a lack of respect for management.

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Yet you don't consider what Freeman did to be a lack of respect for management.

By saying that he was pissed off about going on the DL and not being able to travel with the team. I see nothing wrong with that.

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Well, someone here is a little biased.

BremanFan88
07-12-2013, 09:13 PM
This is the problem with people that are told they are Superstars before they actually do anything...

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Well, someone here is a little biased.

Yes I am baised. But I still don't see what Freddie did that was wrong. He was pissed to be going on the DL and told the Braves that. He didn't send some text to the manager saying play me or trade me.

I seriously don't understand how you don't see the difference in the 2 situations.

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Yes I am baised. But I still don't see what Freddie did that was wrong. He was pissed to be going on the DL and told the Braves that. He didn't send some text to the manager saying play me or trade me.

I seriously don't understand how you don't see the difference in the 2 situations.

Please. I'm not a Bryce Harper fan by any means, but you don't even know the true context of the situation in question. I seriously doubt that Harper was being completely serious when he said that. He was simply acting on emotion, just like Freddie was. If you're going to defend Freddie by saying that he's passionate about playing, then you have to do the same for Harper in this case. Face it, the only reason this is being made a big deal about here is because it's Bryce Harper and he plays for the Nationals.

Julio3000
07-12-2013, 09:21 PM
"Play me or trade me." That's a clown reaction, bro.

I'm with Cy. Freddie had a little snit. It wasn't as *****y as Harper's, but shagging flies like he did was out of line. Nobody mad, though.

yeezus
07-12-2013, 09:21 PM

Freddie was ticked at the management for putting him on the DL when he didn't think he needed to. Bryce was upset about being told he can't play, too. The exact words used aren't all that important, they both reacted the same way,

yeezus
07-12-2013, 09:22 PM
"Play me or trade me." That's a clown reaction, bro.

I'm with Cy. Freddie had a little snit. It wasn't as *****y as Harper's, but shagging flies like he did was out of line. Nobody mad, though.

Right, and Freddie went out and did that after explicitly being told NOT to. If that's not disrespect, then what Harper did isn't, either.

AUTiger7222
07-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Please. I'm not a Bryce Harper fan by any means, but you don't even know the true context of the situation in question. I seriously doubt that Harper was being completely serious when he said that. He was simply acting on emotion, just like Freddie was. If you're going to defend Freddie by saying that he's passionate about playing, then you have to do the same for Harper in this case. Face it, the only reason this is being made a big deal about here is because it's Bryce Harper and he plays for the Nationals.

If Bryce had said it to Johnson's face that is different. Doing it with a text is the issue.

yeezus
07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
If Bryce had said it to Johnson's face that is different. Doing it with a text is the issue.

ok...

gilesfan
07-12-2013, 10:04 PM
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-07-07/sports/40427688_1_bryce-harper-nats-davey-johnson

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/bryce-harper-text-still-being-taken-seriously-rofl/2013/07/11/abea320a-ea3b-11e2-aa9f-c03a72e2d342_story.html

Bdawg2309
07-12-2013, 10:06 PM
This is old news that was dismissed as nothing

Metaphysicist
07-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah, this isn't particularly bad once you get the context.

CyYoung31
07-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Man, am I right or what?

Runnin
07-13-2013, 01:54 AM
I thought FF sounded a little childish with his comments, but at least it was over by the next morning and he knew why he had to be DL'd.

50PoundHead
07-13-2013, 09:25 AM
I think Davey Johnson is a dope to even mention it to the press.

Agree with those who think that some of these young players have a sense of entitlement and can just pop off whenever they feel like it. And, of course, it always gets in the press.

yeezus
07-13-2013, 09:42 AM
people here not read the articles giles posted?

Julio3000
07-13-2013, 09:52 AM
I think Davey Johnson is a dope to even mention it to the press.

Agree with those who think that some of these young players have a sense of entitlement and can just pop off whenever they feel like it. And, of course, it always gets in the press.

Agreed.

I guess I was quick to assume the worst re hype crab.

Knucksie
07-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Harper was a punk and a douche, long before he reached the majors. Some of your are just realizing that now? Think of how swelled his already fat head got over the SI cover story.

gilesfan
07-13-2013, 10:09 PM
It was said in a joking manner. Problem with reading it vs watching interview

ViperVisor
07-13-2013, 10:55 PM
He's been built up so high its mental. He is 1 out of 8+1 on a team.

It was probably a sarcastic statement but all part of feeling like you have to polish the statue built in his image.

Its part of why Favre's nonsense was never question like it should have. The Gun Slang'r could do no wrong.

Metaphysicist
07-14-2013, 01:13 AM
What a douche:

link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/07/05/bryce-harpers-visit-with-gavin-rupp/)

Carp
07-14-2013, 01:20 AM
So charity work means he can't be a douche?

Harper is the one if the biggest douchebags in sports. Not surprised to see Giles defend him. And defending him with Washington newspapers articles..... Yeah like they're really going to trash their golden boy.

Johnson caved because he doesn't want to lose his job that some have already speculated may already in jeopardy. Because if the decision is play or trade, the franchise won't bay an eye in throwing Johnson to the curb.

CyYoung31
07-14-2013, 01:22 AM
So charity work means he can't be a douche.

Harper is the one if the biggest douchebags in sports. Not surprised to see Giles defend him. And defending him Washington newspapers articles. Yeah they're really going to trash their golden boy.

Johnson caved because he doesn't want to lose his job that some have already speculated may already in jeopardy. Because if the decision is play or trade, the franchise won't bay an eye in throwing Johnson to the curb.

Harper may be a douche (I don't know), but he wasn't in this situation. It was clearly a joke, as I indicated it might be in one of my earlier posts.

Even if it wasn't a joke, he was probably just pissed about not playing. Again, if you're going to play the young and passionate card with Freeman, then you have to play it here too.

Carp
07-14-2013, 01:38 AM
There is quite a bit of difference in demanding a trade and shagging fly balls, even if both players were acting out.

Demanding a trade if you don't get your way is giving your superiors an ultimatum and effectively questioning the authority of your superior.

If you want to say the scenarios are similar, that's fine. But they are far from being the same

CyYoung31
07-14-2013, 03:46 AM
There is quite a bit of difference in demanding a trade and shagging fly balls, even if both players were acting out.

Demanding a trade if you don't get your way is giving your superiors an ultimatum and effectively questioning the authority of your superior.

If you want to say the scenarios are similar, that's fine. But they are far from being the same

The whole thing was reported as being a joke, so I don't even know what you're going on about at this point.

And, yes, they ARE comparable, assuming that even if it wasn't a joke Harper was just running on emotion and not being a prima donna. But, considering there hasn't been any evidence that I'm aware of that he's been a prima donna up to this point, there is no reason to believe that he was.

Dunit24
07-14-2013, 07:52 AM
i dont think harper is a douche bc of this. I think he is a douche bc he plays for a rival team that gets hyped up by the media too much. Thats just fan hood. I would hope he wasnt serious though. No player is above the manager.

gilesfan
07-14-2013, 08:14 AM
So charity work means he can't be a douche?

Harper is the one if the biggest douchebags in sports. Not surprised to see Giles defend him. And defending him with Washington newspapers articles..... Yeah like they're really going to trash their golden boy.

Being ignorant is fun.

If you actually read the articles, watch the actual interviews, and understand how Davey Johnson works, clearly you would see that it was a joke. That's why people are just now bringing it up bc the story went nowhere once people realized it was a joke.

I don't think you understand how Washington area newspapers go.

Who is speculating that Davey is going to lose his job, please provide a link.

Many people have already decided they dislike the guy. Which is fine, he plays for a rival. And he's certainly done some things that have added fuel to the fire. But, if you really want to find out about the guy besides sitting in the corner and ignoring facts to fuel your hate, watch the espn piece on Harper. It explains his background and talks about some of the misconceptions about him as well as some of the mistakes he's made. There is some good thoughts by Cal Ripken.

So basically Carpe is right despite everyone that follows the team, the manager, the player, and anyone that watched the interviews saying otherwise. Not surprising.