PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Francoeur tricked into thinking player was deaf.

Krovahn
04-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Link: http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/13/jeff-francoeur-was-tricked-into-thinking-minor-league-teammate-was-deaf-for-a-full-month/

rico43
04-13-2014, 02:16 PM
This was an epic prank, and ex-Brave teammates Blaine Boyer and Brooks Conrad were co-conspirators. Frenchy now has a new nickname -- "idiot."

CyYoung31
04-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Seems like it would be pretty easy to convince a blind person that someone is deaf.

The Chosen One
04-13-2014, 03:26 PM
If only we could've tricked him into thinking OBP and BB were important in baseball.

nsacpi
04-13-2014, 04:20 PM
If only we could've tricked him into thinking OBP and BB were important in baseball.

If OBP was so important why don't they put it up on the scoreboard. That response will always summarize Francoeur for me.

The comments by Boyer and Conrad were revealing and not too flattering in terms of his IQ, though they both were fairly diplomatic.

50PoundHead
04-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Average (at best) IQ + Some sort of ADD = Jeff Francouer.

He never struck me a somebody all that bright.

The clincher for me on Francoeur's IQ (or lack thereof) is the time he jogged home with the potential winning run and almost got nailed on a force play that would have ended the inning.

acesfull86
04-14-2014, 08:08 AM
If they pulled that prank for two days it would have been funny...that it went as long as it did is just epic.

stpeteirish
04-14-2014, 08:31 AM
One thing I really miss about being on team sports is stuff like this, the pranks. Unless, of course, you're the idiot.

Jeff's reputation definitely preceded him on this one.

gilesfan
04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
That team must lead AAA in ex fringe major leaguers.

nsacpi
04-14-2014, 08:41 AM
That team must lead AAA in ex fringe major leaguers.

Actually, a lot of AAA teams look like that these days. The population of guys who have just a few games of major league experience is quite large.

gilesfan
04-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Actually, a lot of AAA teams look like that these days. The population of guys who have just a few games of major league experience is quite large.

I realize that, but I don't think many are to this degree. Literally every position player they have has spent of few years in the majors, not just cups of coffee.

CyYoung31
04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Blaine Boyer is still in baseball?

The Chosen One
04-22-2014, 12:12 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24534733/video-jeff-francouer-toes-the-rubber-and-pitches-in-triple-a

Pitched an inning in AAA.

Got Dykstra's kid out, two flyouts and a groundout.

We need some help in the pen. I'm all for feel good stories, and we all know he had a rocket arm.

50PoundHead
04-22-2014, 11:49 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24534733/video-jeff-francouer-toes-the-rubber-and-pitches-in-triple-a

Pitched an inning in AAA.

Got Dykstra's kid out, two flyouts and a groundout.

We need some help in the pen. I'm all for feel good stories, and we all know he had a rocket arm.

His sub-normal baseball IQ and other shortcomings aside, he always had this tool. Holy crap some of the throws he made.

The Chosen One
04-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Too bad he never lived up to the poor man's Vlad comp.

50PoundHead
04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Too bad he never lived up to the poor man's Vlad comp.

The woes of below average bat speed. I always thought Francoeur's problem--and lousy coaching probably contributed--is that he always thought he could successfully hit what he could reach. That probably worked through high school. Above average plate coverage doesn't count for much when the result is three-hoppers to the middle infielders. Add that to what I always considered a slider-speed bat and you've got the right equation for disappointment.

The Chosen One
04-22-2014, 01:28 PM
The woes of below average bat speed. I always thought Francoeur's problem--and lousy coaching probably contributed--is that he always thought he could successfully hit what he could reach. That probably worked through high school. Above average plate coverage doesn't count for much when the result is three-hoppers to the middle infielders. Add that to what I always considered a slider-speed bat and you've got the right equation for disappointment.

Which is why reliever might be interesting for him since he can still throw pretty hard. How many position players turned into decent pitchers?

gilesfan
04-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Which is why reliever might be interesting for him since he can still throw pretty hard. How many position players turned into decent pitchers?

At his age?

Hawk
04-22-2014, 01:59 PM
At his age?

Have you ever seen The Rookie?

gilesfan
04-22-2014, 02:22 PM
That should be in my AMA, but yes.