PDA

View Full Version : Depth

nsacpi
07-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Well it always comes into play over a long season. Going into this season, I thought we had good depth on our bench and in AAA (which I think of as our second bench) at every position except starting pitching. We've been lucky that our starting five have held up until Beachy's return (knock on wood, no pun intended).

As for the other positions, here is what the situation is:

1) Outfield. We're going to be tested here. Hopefully Heyward and the Uptons aren't out too long. Schafer is out another four weeks, maybe a little longer. But outfield happens to be our deepest position. We were carrying Reed Johnson as a fifth outfielder, something most teams don't do. Gattis has played outfield and will do so again when he comes back. Pastornicky can play outfield. Terdoslavich has been very good in AAA. And our other two AAA outfielders (Constanza and Cunningham) have had solid seasons. Outfield is our deepest position and where we are actually best positioned to withstand a rash of injuries.

2) Infield. The loss of Pena hurt. But we can choose between Janish and Pastornicky to replace him, depending on how those two fit in within the context of the rest of the team.

3) Catcher. We've been carrying 3. No problems given Gattis' imminent return.

4) Relievers. We've had some losses here (EOF, Venters, Martinez, Ayala and Walden spent time on the DL). But replacements have stepped forward. Avilan has done well in a higher leverage role. Carpenter has been a positive surprise. Wood has developed faster than expected. I think Wren will make a trade to bolster things there because of uncertainty about whether Varvaro and Carpenter can sustain what they've been doing.

5) Starters. As I said we had to keep our fingers crossed, especially given the struggles and injuries of Hale and Gilmartin in AAA. But it looks like Beachy is going to be back soon. And none of our starting five has had to miss a start.

No one wants injuries. But you have to plan for them. And Wren has done a pretty good job putting together depth at every spot except starting pitching this year.