PDA

View Full Version : NHL/playoffs Thread

Heyward
04-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Need a NHL thread since the best playoffs in the world are here.

Can one of the mods pin this?

NinersSBChamps
04-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Maybe Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic, or Ray Bourque who finally got that elusive ring can pin this thread?

Ty Domi just sucker punched someone in the subway and Jeremy Roenick broke his jaw again. Meanwhile my boy Sergei Federov is having his way with the love of my life...Anna Kournikova.

Heyward
04-24-2014, 10:54 PM
bamp

yeezus
04-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Game of the season for the Flyers tonight.
I'm shocked Dallas has been so competitive with Anaheim. I thought Anaheim would end it 4-5. But, Dallas has a lot of talent, and when Getzlaf was out, that changes a lot.
I'm shocked the Lightning got swept. Montreal is good, but swept?
My Cup picks are Bruins and Blues. I really hope the Blues make it. Love that team.
Still have belief in the Flyers. Mason coming back will make a difference. That 1st goal Emery allowed in game 3 was really deflating for the whole team.

zitothebrave
05-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Lol Cindy.

gilesfan
05-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Great playoff games tonight

zitothebrave
05-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Great playoff games tonight

Yeah, Also, Crosby sucks.

But on seriousness. Lundqvist proved why a goalie in hockey is the most important position in sports. A Goalie can dominate.

Heyward
05-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Habs beat the Bruins.

Thats a huge upset, Bruins were a ****ing juggernaught this season.

zitothebrave
05-14-2014, 10:15 PM
It really comes down to the Goalie play. Price outplayed Rask.

gilesfan
05-15-2014, 08:49 AM
The Boston/Montreal series was absolutely nuts. You just will never have that type of series in any other sport.

gilesfan
05-16-2014, 09:30 AM
3 game 7s in the 2nd round NHL.

Meanwhile, 2 5 games and 2 6 games for the Lame NBA

thethe
05-16-2014, 09:41 AM
3 game 7s in the 2nd round NHL.

Meanwhile, 2 5 games and 2 6 games for the Lame NBA

So NBA round 1 was better than NHL round 1?

gilesfan
05-16-2014, 09:50 AM

Not even close

zitothebrave
05-16-2014, 09:50 AM

No, because at least a few of those teams should have put other teams to bed.

NHL also hasn't had refs change the tune of a series yet.

Heyward
05-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Quick carrying LA again.

He's so good.

A goalie in hockey may be the most impactful position in all of sports.

zitothebrave
05-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Quick carrying LA again.

He's so good.

A goalie in hockey may be the most impactful position in all of sports.

Only position that I think can potentially be more dominant is a SP in baseball. Sometimes a SP is unhittable and he can provide his own run support too. That said day in and day out a goalie in hockey can change the world. The difference between the US just missing the gold and not medalling or getting the bronze or whatever happened last olympics was goalie play.

NinersSBChamps
05-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Seriously how do you throw a flag for icing right there?!??

NinersSBChamps
05-16-2014, 09:53 PM
This Nordiques and Whalers game is epic!

thethe
05-23-2014, 09:12 PM
So how about those skilled goals scored in the Ranger/Canadian game?

yeezus
05-24-2014, 09:49 PM
I love and hate the Kings and Blackhawks. Kings because they are Flyers West (with actual success) and the Blackhawks because they beat the flyers in '10. But I love the way they play and Toews is the best captain in the game.

yeezus
05-24-2014, 09:59 PM
So how about those skilled goals scored in the Ranger/Canadian game?

Not sure if sarcasm but hockey is about so much more than pretty goals. In fact you won't find many between those two teams. The work and grit is so much more important. Hence why I can't stand a guy like Ovi. All about the scoring and basically doesn't work on the defensive end, which any truly elite player does. He'll score his goals but he was ~minus 32 for a reason, and it was a big reason his team didn't make the playoffs. Ovi is a bitch. In the end a combo of work and skill wins. Steve Yzerman is the perfect example of this. But grit is the reason a guy like Dustin Johnson will be a captain on a team. He doesn't score or put up pretty numbers, but he leads like a mofo and he's a lot of fun to watch.

yeezus
05-25-2014, 09:48 PM
overtime
:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

gilesfan
06-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Game 7 in eastern and Western. OT playoff Hockey!

zitothebrave
06-01-2014, 10:11 PM
It must feel so ****ty letting in a goal in golden goal overtime.

zitothebrave
06-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Though probably not as ****ty as being a defender who was used as the deflection

Heyward
06-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Hard to blame Crawford there, not much he could do.

Incredible series though, shame it had to go to an end.

thethe
06-01-2014, 10:20 PM
LOL, hockey is so great. The biggest goal of the season is a deflection off the the losing teams defenseman. SO MUCH SKILL!

zitothebrave
06-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Hard to blame Crawford there, not much he could do.

Incredible series though, shame it had to go to an end.

As being someone who's played a lot fo goaltending positions in various levels of competition from pickup to competitive. Letting goals in sucks. One game I was goalie and let in 5 goals. 4 of the goals came on penalties because I had an incompetent defense who got 2 handballs and 2 slide tackles from behind in the box. The 5th I had possession of the ball and the kid came in after I took possession of the ball and kicked it out of my hand which isn't permitted in soccer. ANd given the fact that I was on the ground and the ball was not that far from my head could have been a dangerous play worthy of a yellow card. Even though none of those goals were my fault (saved one of the penalties which is about average for a goalie) every time that ball hit the back of the net it stinged. Trust me being at "fault" doesn't matter. There's still a sinking feeling when you let in any important goals. I had a goal let in in a big game (don't remember if it was championship or not) when I was a kid that I had lined up but my defenseman deflected and I couldn't react to it. Wound up being the goal that cost me. Onetime I didn't make a save that took us to overtime, that sucked. When I made a save to win a shootout there wasn't a much higher feeling. Being a goalie is totally amazing and totally stressful at the same time. Wouldn't trade the rush for anything. it was bigger than sacking a quarterback, hitting a winning shot in basketball, or striking out someone to end the game for me.

gilesfan
06-01-2014, 11:12 PM
LOL, hockey is so great. The biggest goal of the season is a deflection off the the losing teams defenseman. SO MUCH SKILL!

That's why you shoot the puck.

Did I miss any blowouts in the NBA tonight? When is the next game, July?

yeezus
06-03-2014, 07:06 AM

You don't understand the sport in the least. Did you see how the goal was created? Na, ESPN doesn't show the work that goes in to goals like that. But it's about a good, effective forecheck and puck possession in the offensive zone. I have no idea why you think goals are supposed to be pretty. A lot of work went in to that goal.

yeezus
06-03-2014, 07:16 AM
I mean, are you really going to suggest hockey doesn't take skill? Watch again how the goal was created instead of watching a clip from BSPN. And they aren't giant pussies like NBA players. No hockey player misses a single shift for whatever it was Ibaka had.

thethe
06-03-2014, 07:29 AM
I mean, are you really going to suggest hockey doesn't take skill? Watch again how the goal was created instead of watching a clip from BSPN. And they aren't giant pussies like NBA players. No hockey player misses a single shift for whatever it was Ibaka had.

A basketball players calf is there lifeblood. How do you you think you generate force out of your jumps? What a stupid comparison.

thethe
06-03-2014, 07:30 AM
You don't understand the sport in the least. Did you see how the goal was created? Na, ESPN doesn't show the work that goes in to goals like that. But it's about a good, effective forecheck and puck possession in the offensive zone. I have no idea why you think goals are supposed to be pretty. A lot of work went in to that goal.

I've watched plenty of hockey. The idea that shooting the puck and deflecting off of the opposing team as a great goal is stupid. Its a lucky goal and not something the team is intending to do. Hey, lets deflect it off this guys shoulder who isn't looking and the puck will turn 45% right over the blocker. YEAH!

gilesfan
06-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Wait, the Kings didn't intend to score?

BTW< what the Kings have done is amazing. Had to run through Sharks (down 3-0), Ducks, Blackhawks, all on the road (3 of best teams in NHL)

So the Heat and Spurs had to beat who, exactly?

yeezus
06-03-2014, 11:20 AM
I've watched plenty of hockey. The idea that shooting the puck and deflecting off of the opposing team as a great goal is stupid. Its a lucky goal and not something the team is intending to do. Hey, lets deflect it off this guys shoulder who isn't looking and the puck will turn 45% right over the blocker. YEAH!

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. You're completely ignoring the work that went in to the goal. Getting a shot through a bunch of bodies is tough. Guys throw it on net and hope for bounces/rebounds all the time. This time is no different. Hockey is not about scoring pretty goals. It's about working hard to create opportunities to get the puck on net. They didn't intend to do that? Are you retarded? That makes me think you never watch or simply are too stupid to understand the game. Watch the Rangers play and see how tough it is to even get a puck on net. They block shots like crazy. So when a team has a chance to get the puck on net, they throw it there all the time. They absolutely were hoping for a good bounce or deflection, and they got it. You don't know what you're talking about. Just accept it.

yeezus
06-03-2014, 11:22 AM
A basketball players calf is there lifeblood. How do you you think you generate force out of your jumps? What a stupid comparison.

Yeah, you're right, hockey players don't use their calves to skate or push or anything.
The point is hockey players play through everything, and basketball players will sit out in the conference finals and maybe "miss the rest of the post season" for something they were able to return from 2 games later. According to you, Ibaka playing from game 1 would have ended the series in 5 games. So, according to you, he cost them the series by not playing. 0 hockey players do that.

Heyward
06-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Wait, the Kings didn't intend to score?

BTW< what the Kings have done is amazing. Had to run through Sharks (down 3-0), Ducks, Blackhawks, all on the road (3 of best teams in NHL)

So the Heat and Spurs had to beat who, exactly?

Heat had a cakewalk road, East blows.

Spurs had a 7-game series with Dallas, easy series with Hou, and really only 1 competitive game vs OKC.

gilesfan
06-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Heat had a cakewalk road, East blows.

Spurs had a 7-game series with Dallas, easy series with Hou, and really only 1 competitive game vs OKC.

Dallas weren't good.

gilesfan
06-05-2014, 03:36 PM
You cannot get any better sports than the last minute of the game last night. No moment in any sport can top that.

zitothebrave
06-05-2014, 04:37 PM
You cannot get any better sports than the last minute of the game last night. No moment in any sport can top that.

http://blogs.mcall.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fe353ef01156fa9520e970c-pi

http://s3.amazonaws.com/37assets/svn/the_catch.jpg

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120325144857/uncyclopedia/images/7/75/CS2_-_ALI-LISTON.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7ekcVFBw3mg/UFfSTmHQLiI/AAAAAAAAZeA/C40ccQEr7z0/s400/SHOT.jpg

I really could go on. But I won't trash you for that thetheesque statement.

gilesfan
06-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Nope, the action didn't get better than that.

zitothebrave
06-05-2014, 04:55 PM
OK thethe

zitothebrave
01-29-2015, 09:56 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--YmWLftoM--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/lvebaadjxr9fsszjen9u.gif

zitothebrave
02-04-2015, 09:18 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--hoPaltkB--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/jfyeqauywmc75gp2ngak.gif