PDA

View Full Version : MNORS REPORT: 4/22: An Appreciation of Jacob Schrader (WHO?!?)

rico43
04-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks to MiLB.com for some of this story.

CAREER NIGHT FOLLOWS SCARE FOR SCHRADER

As the 27th-round pick in last summer's amateur draft, Jacob Schrader was the final pitch that the Braves felt was worth signing. No one below his round came around -- albeit a number of them were the "impossible signs." But if it stung him to be such a lowly pick, it didn't show. He signed less than two days after his pick.

But Schrader had credentials. Born and raised in Pasco County, he went to Tampa and wound up as the MVP in the Division II national tournament in 2013. In five tournament games, he had two homers and seven RBIs.

That number appeared again Monday night, when the now-struggling Schrader had a career (and career-saving?) night for the Rome Braves. Schrader, struggling with a .194 average this season, fell into a 1-2 hole against Greensboro starter Jarlin Garcia. He took a hack and fouled one off. A scary moment followed.

A blow to the face. Suddenly, nothing looked right.

"It hit me in my left eye," Schrader said of the foul ball. "My left eye was blurry."

A worst-case scenario for any batter, but Schrader shook it off and stayed in the game.

"I just tried just see the ball with my right eye and hit the ball," he said. "It happened to work, it was comical."

Schrader then crushed a pitch to deep left field for his first homer of the season, a three-run shot. He stayed locked in, finishing 3-for-5 with a career-high two homers and seven RBIs to lead Class A Rome past Greensboro, 14-9, at State Mutual Stadium.

"It was a weird at-bat," Schrader said. "The eye is good now, it's not blurry anymore. I've just got a couple lace marks above it."

The Braves' 27th-round pick last summer hit another three-run drive in the sixth and added an RBI single in the eighth to cap his best day as a pro. His Braves teammates hunted him down in the clubhouse shower and doused him with a cooler full of icy water afterward.

"Relief," he said. "I've been struggling the past few games, I put in some early work with our hitting coordinator, but it was mostly psychological stuff. My stroke has been feeling good, but (Minor League hitting coordinator Ortegon) helped me out a lot."

Schrader's seven RBIs were the most ever for a Rome batter -- four players had previously plated six runs in a game: Diory Hernandez in 2004, Jamie Romak in 2006, Cody Johnson in 2008 and Robert Hefflinger in 2012. The 23-year-old entered the game batting just .194 with no homers and six RBIs in a dozen games since receiving a promotion to the South Atlantic League. Hitless in his previous two starts for Rome, the University of Tampa product posted numbers Monday that weren't too far removed from his entire 2013 season total, when the first baseman hit .195 with five homers and 16 RBIs in 36 games with Rookie-level Danville. Monday's effort raised his average more than 50 points to .244.

"I just try to go out and do what I have to do, play the game right way and play hard," he said. "It's rewarding that the Braves have that kind of faith in me, to move me up after last season. It felt really good, they have that much faith in me."

------------------

CLASS AAA

Columbus 11, Gwinnett 1

LP: Rodriguez (2-2) 5 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 6 K.
Terdoslavich 2-3, R.
Hamilton 1-2, 2B, RBI.
La Stella 1-4.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 6, Montgomery 2

SP: W. Perez (2-1) 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.
Schlehuber 5-3, HR (1st), 2 RBIs.
E. Reyes 4-4, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBIs. (.476)
Kubitza 2-5, 2B, 3B, 2 RBIs. (.188)
Hunter 2-6, R.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg, idle.

CLASS A

Greensboro 11, Rome 4

LP: Salazar (0-2) 2.1 IP, 8 H, 8 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 4 WP. (12.83)
Perez 2 IP, 1 H, 2 K.
Schrader 1-4, 2B, R, RBI, SB.
Franco 2-3, R.

50PoundHead
04-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I think there was a poster in here at some point who mentioned that his sister was dating Schrader.

rico43
04-22-2014, 01:51 PM
After starting the year on the DL, Elmer Reyes has been the hottest bat in the farm system. 4-4 today, hitting .476.

In contrast, the end might be near for big Rob Hefflinger (.128) and David Rohm (.140).

nsacpi
04-22-2014, 02:04 PM
After starting the year on the DL, Elmer Reyes has been the hottest bat in the farm system. 4-4 today, hitting .476.

In contrast, the end might be near for big Rob Hefflinger (.128) and David Rohm (.140).

Interesting contrast between Reyes and Hefflinger. The little punch and judy hitter has continued to develop. Big strong guy never closed the holes in his swing.

50PoundHead
04-22-2014, 02:43 PM
I think Reyes and Lipka are the only hitters on the Mississippi team that have a reasonable chance to play and contribute in the big leagues and both those guys project as "bench at best" types. Maybe Kubitza, but I think his iffy contact rate is only going to get worse. Kubitza's advantage is he's a LHH who supposedly plays a decent 3B. If he can play 1B and some OF, he could possibly end up as a utility guy.

If Reyes shows he can hit consistently enough, I could see him in a 2B platoon with La Stella until Peraza is big league ready. Of course, we'd have to dump Uggla.

TURBO
04-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I think there was a poster in here at some point who mentioned that his sister was dating Schrader.

Close. Im dating his older sister.

nsacpi
04-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Alden Carrithers (ex Braves, left as a six year free agent) is off to a fantastic start in the PCL. .377/.507/.472.

I was hoping we'd find a way to keep him. Not surprised the A's saw the value.

50PoundHead
04-22-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks for straightening that out. At least I had the family right. Just the wrong members of the family. LOL.

The Chosen One
04-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Ask him to Rome on here. :)

thethe
04-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Salazar got rocked again.

nsacpi
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Salazar got rocked again.

not ready for Rome

rico43
04-22-2014, 08:50 PM
not ready for Rome

Four wild pitches, four walks, eight hits in 2.1 innings. That translates to an inability to throw strikes except with batting practice velocity. I'll go on record as saying the Braves cut their losses with him quickly. Too many good arms progressing.

nsacpi
04-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Four wild pitches, four walks, eight hits in 2.1 innings. That translates to an inability to throw strikes except with batting practice velocity. I'll go on record as saying the Braves cut their losses with him quickly. Too many good arms progressing.

They made some curious choices leaving pitchers like Gunther, Vail and Dil in extended spring training. Maybe some of them are hurt.

50PoundHead
04-22-2014, 09:49 PM

He's probably the highest-ceiling guy they drafted last spring, but I was surprised they pushed him the way they have.

Jay212033
04-22-2014, 11:35 PM

Cut their losses?! A 19 y.o. struggling in full season ball and you think the Braves will let him go after a handful of starts wow Rico.

The Chosen One
04-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Anyone have video of salazar? Would like to see him throw and his mechanics.

50PoundHead
04-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Cut their losses?! A 19 y.o. struggling in full season ball and you think the Braves will let him go after a handful of starts wow Rico.

People tend to forget he was pitching to high school kids a year ago.

rico43
04-23-2014, 08:40 AM
People tend to forget he was pitching to high school kids a year ago.

Didn't hear that comment relating to Lucas Sims this time a year ago. A second round pick Salazar was; wonder how he was projected by other teams. I know the Braves will make sure they have their investment covered, but his failures have been spectacular.

zitothebrave
04-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Didn't hear that comment relating to Lucas Sims this time a year ago. A second round pick Salazar was; wonder how he was projected by other teams. I know the Braves will make sure they have their investment covered, but his failures have been spectacular.

Lucas Sims is much better than Salazar. I'm willing to be patient with Salazar, his stuff is excellent. And he's really raw. Still needs some heavy works on command. Honestly he has this weird hitch in his step as a HS pitcher that needds to be fixed because it seems to be opening up too much and letting balls fly.

rico43
04-23-2014, 02:34 PM
They made some curious choices leaving pitchers like Gunther, Vail and Dil in extended spring training. Maybe some of them are hurt.

Very prescient of you. Vail arrived in Rome 24 hours after your post.

nsacpi
04-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Very prescient of you. Vail arrived in Rome 24 hours after your post.

Pitching well too in his first game.

On a different note, Caratini has been heating up, 9 hits in his last 6 games. Batting average now at .283. Victor Reyes at .309.

50PoundHead
04-23-2014, 02:54 PM

While Sims' start in Rome last year wasn't this lousy, it took him awhile to get his feet under him.

Salazar was ranked #92 by Baseball America and he was in the top 100 at PG Crosschecker. Braves drafted him in the third round at #102.

Jay212033
04-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Rico, You're normally a really good poster but your outtake on Salazar is a bit outlandish. A 19 y.o. kid who has barely gotten his feet wet and you think the Braves will cut him loose that quickly?! Obviously they saw something in him to start in Rome.

rico43
04-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Rico, You're normally a really good poster but your outtake on Salazar is a bit outlandish. A 19 y.o. kid who has barely gotten his feet wet and you think the Braves will cut him loose that quickly?! Obviously they saw something in him to start in Rome.

He is only 19, and I'm sure he got a solid bonus. I just think the Braves are quick to recognize lost causes. Go through his game-by-game totals last year and this year. But more than anything, I can't believe they felt he was ready to pitch against 23-year olds in Rome. I'll amend it; he heads back to Danville well before the short-season starts. Hopefully, he can dominate people his own age.