PDA

View Full Version : MINORS THREAD 4/27: Sunday doings include facing Fister rehab

rico43
04-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Martin Next Prospect Pushing For Rotation Time in ATL

Cody Martin, the Braves' No. 10 prospect allowed one hit over five scoreless innings and recorded a season-high 10 strikeouts, pitching Triple-A Gwinnett to a 10-4 triumph at Toledo Saturday. Martin (2-1) struggled with his command, throwing 57 of 100 pitches for strikes. He walked the bases loaded in the second inning before fanning the next three batters. The 24-year-old right-hander ended up issuing four walks and also hit a batter.

"I didn't really do anything special," Martin said. "I was just trying to command my fastball to both sides of the plate. I just kind of think I confused some people with some sequences and got guys looking the first time around, and once I got deeper into the game, I mixed the slider and curveball in more. Once I was able to mix those in for strikes and use them as a putaway pitch as well, good things happened."

The high pitch count led to an early exit for Martin, who worked 5 2/3 and six innings in his previous two starts.

"My main goal isn't to strike guys out, it's to go as deep into the game as possible. Get contact early in the count," he said, "I felt like I should have gone a lot deeper into this game. I'm actually kind of upset that I only went five because my command went away at times. My command was off-and-on -- when it was on, I was punching guys out and when it was off, I was walking guys.

"So my pitch count rose because I wasn't being efficient with certain people. I think I was right around 50 percent with balls and strikes. When I'm looking at this outing I want to make sure that I throw a lot more strikes my next outing and not giving out so many free passes."

One of the keys for Martin in lowering his ERA to 2.66 was his ability to be smart with his breaking pitches on two-strike counts.

"Once I got two strikes, I didn't hang any curveballs or sliders," he said. "If you get two strikes early in the count, 1-2 or 2-2, you don't want to throw a hittable strike. But once you get deeper into a count, you gotta throw some strikes. I think really just throwing the ball for strikes and commanding all four pitches is the key to any outing."

Martin leads the International League with 33 strikeouts and ranks fourth among starting pitchers with a .173 batting average against.

----------------

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 3, Toledo 0

WP: Rodriguez (3-1) 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K.
Jaime (Save, 6) 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K.
Terdoslavich 2-5, 2B, R, RBI. (.317)
Salcedo 2-3, 2 RBIs, SB. (.231)

CLASS AA

Pensacola 2, Mississippi 0

LP: W. Perez (2-2) 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R(1R), 2 BB, 2 K.
Lipka 1-4. (.191)
Kubitza 1-4. (.217)

ADVANCED CLASS A

Potomac, Lynchburg 5

***Lynchburg losing streak now 8 straight.
SP: Ross 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.
LP: Holmes (0-1) 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
Peraza 3-5, 2B, R, RBI, SB (12th). (.331)
Wren 2-5, 2 R, SB (14th).
Ahrens 2-4, 2B, 2 RBIs.
Potomac starter: Fister 4 IP, 6 H, 0 ER(3R), 0 BB, 3 K.

CLASS A

Rome 3, Kannapolis 2

***Ends five-game losing streak
WP: Salazar (1-2) 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 6 K.
Tate (Save, 3) 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.
Carroll 2-3, 2B.
V. Reyes 3-3, 2B, R. (.329)

Braves1976
04-27-2014, 10:19 AM
I'll just ask this here as it's a question concerning a minor league signing. Has anyone heard what's going on with catcher Yenier Bello? I know the Braves signed the Cuban catcher, but after hearing that the deal was completed there's been nothing about him mentioned that I've noticed.

Jay212033
04-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Report from the Rome game.

Salazar is lights out I can see why the Braves are high on him and pushed him up to Rome. His FB ranged from 93-98 but sat mostly 93-94. If he throws strikes like he was doing today we could have a potential ace on our hands. His curve was virtually unhittable. His change was decent more of a show me pitch right now.

Reyes is a good looking player very long and athletic he can really, really hit.

Caratini has a very nice swing and I think he's going to be pretty good didn't have a hit while I was there though.

Camargo has been disappointing thus far after his hot start. Very weak contact from him. He and Reyes need to put on some weight.

The game is still going on but I'm headed home. Top of the 7th we're up 1-0 It was a snooze fest.

50PoundHead
04-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the report. I follow at milb.com and was glad to see Salazar had a good outing. Happy we prevented rico43 from heading down to Rome and summarily executing him after his previous performance.

Jay212033
04-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the report. I follow at milb.com and was glad to see Salazar had a good outing. Happy we prevented rico43 from heading down to Rome and summarily executing him after his previous performance.

Lol yeah. I respect Rico but that was totally crazy of him to say that bout a kid not even 1 yr removed from HS.

rico43
04-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Do you think I'm rooting against the kid? If I'm wrong, everybody wins. I would like to know what kind of come to Jesus meeting he had since his last atrocious start, and with who.

keithlaw
04-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Report from the Rome game.

Salazar is lights out I can see why the Braves are high on him and pushed him up to Rome. His FB ranged from 93-98 but sat mostly 93-94. If he throws strikes like he was doing today we could have a potential ace on our hands. His curve was virtually unhittable. His change was decent more of a show me pitch right now.

Reyes is a good looking player very long and athletic he can really, really hit.

Caratini has a very nice swing and I think he's going to be pretty good didn't have a hit while I was there though.

Camargo has been disappointing thus far after his hot start. Very weak contact from him. He and Reyes need to put on some weight.

The game is still going on but I'm headed home. Top of the 7th we're up 1-0 It was a snooze fest.

How did you find out how hard Salazar was throwing? Did they finally start displaying velocity on the scoreboard?

Jay212033
04-27-2014, 03:32 PM
How did you find out how hard Salazar was throwing? Did they finally start displaying velocity on the scoreboard?

There was 2 guys with radar guns sitting a couple seats away and the guy sitting next to him kept calling out the readings.

Jay212033
04-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Do you think I'm rooting against the kid? If I'm wrong, everybody wins. I would like to know what kind of come to Jesus meeting he had since his last atrocious start, and with who.

No meeting needed just extra work. He's 19 Rico not every 19 y.o. that's a high rd pick is an instant success.

50PoundHead
04-27-2014, 03:36 PM

rico, he's 19 friggin years old playing his first year of full-season baseball and he only logged a grand total of 13 innings of short-season ball in 2013. The kid is a project with a high ceiling. He's likely going to scuffle. I don't think it took a Come-to-Jesus to get him going. He probably had a mechanical flaw that was smoothed out today. Heck, he could fall out of that groove in his next start. It's all about consistency and if he finds it, he has a chance.

rico43
04-27-2014, 03:43 PM
I'll just ask this here as it's a question concerning a minor league signing. Has anyone heard what's going on with catcher Yenier Bello? I know the Braves signed the Cuban catcher, but after hearing that the deal was completed there's been nothing about him mentioned that I've noticed.

The anonymity of extended spring training. I'm expecting to see him surface on the GCB roster.

nsacpi
04-27-2014, 03:48 PM

thethe had a talk with him

Braves1976
04-27-2014, 03:54 PM
The anonymity of extended spring training. I'm expecting to see him surface on the GCB roster.

I thought that might be the case, thanks for confirming Rico.

nsacpi
04-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Nice to see out better hitting prospects affirming their quality. Peraza, Victor Reyes, La Stella, Terdoslavich, Caratini all doing well. We needed those guys to step up given we are bit thin in position prospects. Bethancourt is the one disappointment so far among our top-tier position prospects.

nsacpi
04-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Williams Perez with 17 groundouts and 1 flyout today. ERA down to 1.32. Hasn't been regarded as a prospect, but maybe that should change.

Daniel Rodriguez also with a nice start. 7 shutout innings. ERA down to 2.67.

Just a couple more to add to our already excellent starting pitching depth.

Jay212033
04-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Williams Perez with 17 groundouts and 1 flyout today. ERA down to 1.32. Hasn't been regarded as a prospect, but maybe that should change.

Yeah I think it's time to take notice of what he's doing. He pitched well against the big league club as well.

rico43
04-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Daniel Rodriguez also with a nice start. 7 shutout innings. ERA down to 2.67.

Just a couple more to add to our already excellent starting pitching depth.

Saturday night, Northcraft had the best outing of his career (four hitless innings in relief).

cajunrevenge
04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
I view Martin as more of a future reliever/spot starter.

buck7580
04-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Great question!

The Chosen One
04-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Imagine if Fister played us at Turner Field and Chip was calling it...

"And Fister fists that one through the hole"

CrimsonCowboy
04-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Very happy to know the M-Braves are in Pensacola tonight and not a home. Tornado heading right for Pearl.

Julio3000
04-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Imagine if Fister played us at Turner Field and Chip was calling it...

"And Fister fists that one through the hole"

"Well pardner, I haven't seen this much fisting in Atlanta since . . . I'm going to shut up now."