PDA

View Full Version : MINORS THREAD 4/30: Day games, short schedule Wednesday

rico43
04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
CLASS AAA

Gwinnett, idle.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 5, Jacksonville 1

WP: Northcraft (2-1) 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6K.
E. Reyes 2-4, HR (1st), 2 R, RBI. (.383)
Loman 1-4, HR (5th), 2 RBIs.
Rohm 2-3, 3B, 2 RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg, idle.

CLASS A

Asheville 12, Rome 7

LP: Ubiera (0-4) 2.1 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
Perez 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Oliver 1-5, HR (1st), 3 RBIs.
Luna 2-4, R.
E. Garcia 2-5, R.
A.J. Kirby-Jones 1-4, HR (1st), 2 RBIs.

ANOTHER SHAKEUP:

Chris Constantino, Jared Dettman deomoted from Rome to Danville; Alejandro Piloto, Colby Holmes demoted to Rome from Lynchburg. Lay Batista sent from Miss. to Lynchburg. David Carroll promoted from Rome to Lynchburg.
Braves sign A.J. Kirby-Jones (Padres 2013), on the day before he was scheduled to report to his Indy league team. Attended Tennessee Tech, prepped in Knoxville. A.J.'s given first name is Antwon.
Left-hander Eric Berger was assigned to Miss. Released by Oakland (AAA) on April 10; had good year for Astros AAA in 2013 (6-3, 1 save, 3.06 in 44 games). In the meanwhile, got married. Berger once sported a Rollie Finger-class 'stache:

http://cdn.fangraphs.com/favicon.ico

Jay212033
04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Could Elmer Reyes be the next Martin Prado? Reyes can is a much better IF defender than Prado but hitting wise they seem to be on similar mL paths.

nsacpi
04-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Could Elmer Reyes be the next Martin Prado? Reyes can is a much better IF defender than Prado but hitting wise they seem to be on similar mL paths.

Prado was a better hitter in the minors accounting for age and level. What is intriguing about Reyes is his arc of development last year and so far this year. A year ago, I would have put his odds of playing in the majors at less than 50%. Those odds have gone up a lot. I will say I was impressed by his athleticism when I saw him in spring training last year.

rico43
04-30-2014, 02:36 PM
It's time to welcome Aaron Northcraft back to list of bona fide prospects. He followed a four-inning, two-hit, no-run stint with today's five innings of shutout ball. THe disastrous AFL season was followed by an ugly time in camp in spring training, but his only real injury was a thumb problem, so he should be strong going forward. He's got the size: 6-4, 230. One more weapon in the arsenal.

50PoundHead
04-30-2014, 03:09 PM

I don't think so. I've always liked Reyes more than others, but I think he's a back-up IF. Could be a starting SS in the right situation, which isn't Atlanta with Simmons under contract.

Jay212033
04-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Prado was a better hitter in the minors accounting for age and level. What is intriguing about Reyes is his arc of development last year and so far this year. A year ago, I would have put his odds of playing in the majors at less than 50%. Those odds have gone up a lot. I will say I was impressed by his athleticism when I saw him in spring training last year.

I agree but he's much better defensively than Prado so his defense alone should get him to the show but if his bat continues to improve he could take the Prado/Infante type path where he starts in Super Utility role and then finds a home somewhere.

50PoundHead
04-30-2014, 04:19 PM
I agree but he's much better defensively than Prado so his defense alone should get him to the show but if his bat continues to improve he could take the Prado/Infante type path where he starts in Super Utility role and then finds a home somewhere.

I get what you're saying and I think Reyes is going to spend some time in the bigs. Whether it's Atlanta or elsewhere remains to be seen.

But people tend to forget that Omar Infante was a big league regular at age 22 (100 starts at 2B for the Tigers). He slid into the utility role after that and subsequently become a regular again.