PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Report: Thursday 704

rico43
07-04-2013, 03:07 PM
It looks like Joe Terdoslavich is going to miss the Class AAA all-star game -- but for a very good reason. The Braves purchased Terdoslavich's contract from Triple-A Gwinnett after placing Jordan Schafer on the disabled list with a right ankle contusion on Thursday morning.

Terdoslavich, who has never previously been called to the big leagues, is expected to be in uniform for Thursday night's scheduled game against the Marlins at Turner Field. He is rated as Atlanta's No. 14 prospect by MLB.com.

Schafer has had limited mobility since fouling a pitch off his ankle last week on June 26 in Kansas City. The versatile outfielder favored his right leg while running to first base during the two pinch-hit plate appearances he has made the past two nights. Swelling around his Achilles has prevented Schafer from being available to play in the field.

Terdoslavich has the ability to play both corner outfield positions and his presence as a switch-hitter strengthens Atlanta's bench. The 24-year-old prospect has opened some eyes while hitting .318 with 18 home runs and a.926 OPS in 85 games with Triple-A Gwinnett.
-------------
Details are sparse and I can claim no first-hand information, but this seems to be a largely complete list of the Braves international signings from July 2.

The top signee is probably left-hander Luis Barrios of Columbia, rated 27th on Scout.com's list. Probably no conincidence that the Braves also signed his twin brother, shortstop Rafael Barrios.

There is a growing interest in any player recruited out of Curacao, and the Braves spent well to acquire two this year: shortstop Ozhaino Albies ($350 K) and shortstop Kevin Josephina ($300 K). The Braves also spent $350 K to sign right-hander Frank Gil from Panama.

The Braves have added three notable signings from the Domincan: outfielder Jayson Cabrera, shortstosp Renny Guillermo and rigtht-hander Luis Perez. One signee from Venezuela, outfielder Jose Pina, and one player from Nicarauga (who I've yet to identify).

THURSDAY'S GAMES

CLASS AAA

Charlotte @ Gwinnett (37-50), 7:05

SP: Poveda (5-5, 3.42).

CLASS AA

Mississippi (5-10) @ Birmingham, 7:00

SP: Atkins (1-1, 3.68).

ADVANCED CLASS A

Frederick @ Lynchburg (3-8), 7:05

SP: A. Sims (904, 8.50).

CLASS A

Asheville @ Rome (5-9), 7:00

SP: TBA.

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Braves (4-4) 4, GCL Phillies 3

WP: Caicedo (1-1) 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. Espinosa (Save, 1) 1 IP, 1 K.
Arno 1-3, 3B, 2 RBI; V. Reyes 1-4, RBI; Murphy 2-2, R, RBI, SB; Livesay 1-3, 2B, R; Sanchez 1-3, 2 R, SB; Manwaring 2-2 (1.000).

DSL Braves (11-13) @ DSL Blue Jays, 10:30

SP: TBA.

Danville (3-8) @ Pulaski, 4:00

SP: Flores (0-1, 5.63).

weso1
07-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I know nothing of typical international signings. How does this year's signings compare to years past? I know we've gotten some bigger names. Did we go cheap like we did with the draft?

rico43
07-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I know nothing of typical international signings. How does this year's signings compare to years past? I know we've gotten some bigger names. Did we go cheap like we did with the draft?

Spent $300 K or more on two Curaco guys. What I don't get is teams overspending their budget. I'm confused what the budget means and what penalties there are, if any, for exceeding it.

The Chosen One
07-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Excellent. Christening the new forum with a Rico Report on the first day.

thethe
07-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Spent $300 K or more on two Curaco guys. What I don't get is teams overspending their budget. I'm confused what the budget means and what penalties there are, if any, for exceeding it.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2012/2613345.html

rico43
07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Excellent. Christening the new forum with a Rico Report on the first day.

HELP. How do I edit it?

weso1
07-04-2013, 06:36 PM
That's weird. I was able to edit earlier but now the edit button isn't there. First day glitches I guess.

For some reason I was able to edit this post, but not the one I made earlier in the thread. That's weird.

rico43
07-04-2013, 08:22 PM
That's weird. I was able to edit earlier but now the edit button isn't there. First day glitches I guess.

For some reason I was able to edit this post, but not the one I made earlier in the thread. That's weird.

Where was/is the edit icon?