PDA

View Full Version : MINORS FINAL 5/3: A Study of Sims; Cunniff Brilliant Save

rico43
05-03-2014, 04:24 AM
Sims Reminds Us Why He IS Braves Top Pitching Prospect

From MiLB.com

Lucas Sims felt the pressure of Lynchburg's nine-game losing streak when he took the mound Friday evening, And after a shaky second inning, he needed a little nudge. Sims, who said he was on a mission to avoid a big inning, took command and turned in one of his best starts of the young season, allowing one run over six innings for his second win as the Hillcats knocked off Salem, 7-2.

The Braves' top prospect struck out four while holding the Red Sox to four hits and a pair of walks in his sixth start. It was his best outing since he gave up one run on two hits over five frames on April 9 against Potomac.

"I came into my start knowing it's no secret we've been struggling pretty bad," said Sims, the Braves' 2013 Minor League Pitcher of the Year. "But it was important for me to compete and keep my team in the game and keep them off the board and give our team a chance to put some runs up."

The right-hander, who turns 20 on May 10, struck out Jon Roof to end a perfect first before allowing a run in the second as Reed Gragnani hit a one-out single and came home on Mario Martinez's double to center. Sims (2-3) pitched around an error, two steals and a walk in the third, avoided trouble after a leadoff single in the fourth and pitched a 1-2-3 fifth.

"Fastball in, I had too much of the plate and he got a single and it found a hole," Sims said of Gragnani's hit. "Next guy, I threw a little too much over the plate and he hit a double. It kind of started with my warmups, I kind of rushed it.

"I think the biggest thing was trying to eliminate the big inning, locking down with runners in scoring position, being able to execute quality pitches, not leave anything over the middle," Sims said. "I'm going after guys and making sure they don't have anything to hit. If they're going to hit anything, it's going to be my pitch."

The Georgia native said he's working on establishing more of his secondary pitches to complement a fastball that has helped him reach No. 56 overall on MLB.com's rankings of the Top 100 Prospects.

"I felt good about the start. Everything was kind of coming together, I'm getting a better feel for my breaking ball," he said. "It's not where I want it to be, but I'm locating my fastball better each outing. It's a process and I'm taking it in stride and learning from each one."

--------------------

CLASS AAA

Lehigh Valley 2 Gwinnett 1

Triple-A missing Mejia already
LP: Rodriguez (3-3) 6 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K.
Cunningham 3-5. (.308)
Terdoslavich 2-4, 2B, R. (.327)
Gosselin 2-5. (.315)
La Stella 0-4. (.316)

CLASS AA

Jacksonville 4 Mississippi 3

LP: W. Perez (2-3) 7 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
E. Reyes 1-1 (PH) (.351)
M. Jones 1-3, 2B, 2 R, 2 BB.
Kubitza 2-4, 2B, R.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg 5, Salem 3

SP: L. Batista 3 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
WP: Jadofsky (2-1) 3 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
Cunniff (Save, 3) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K.
Peraza 2-5, R, SB (14th). (.348)
Wren 1-3, R, RBI, 2 BB, SB (15th). (.267)
Odom 2-4, R.
Ahrens 1-4, 2B, R, RBI.
Carroll 1-2, 2B, R, RBI, 2 BB. (.429)

CLASS A

Savannah 12, Rome 2

LP: Salazar (1-3) 2.1 IP, 5 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, 2 WP.
Perez 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
Caratini 2-4, 3B, R.
V. Reyes 2-4, 2 RBIs. (.340)

50PoundHead
05-03-2014, 07:21 AM
I don't put much stock in W/L for our minor league teams because it's all about development, but I still think we are way too thin in the minors with offensive talent and that's starting to show up. Hope there is at least some development going on.

Hope Salazar can build on his last start. For the record, rico, I don't think Lucas Sims is an apples-to-apples comparison with Salazar. Although Sims had a lousy April in Rome in 2013 (6.85 ERA, 7 K/10 BB), he pitched entirely out of the bullpen. I'm not saying he was coddled, but the Braves eased Sims into the rotation for some reason. No such easing with Salazar, who pitched poorly until his last outing. I am just urging extreme patience with a guy who is perceived to have a very high ceiling.

50PoundHead
05-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't put much stock in W/L for our minor league teams because it's all about development, but I still think we are way too thin in the minors with offensive talent and that's starting to show up. Hope there is at least some development going on.

Hope Salazar can build on his last start. For the record, rico, I don't think Lucas Sims is an apples-to-apples comparison with Salazar. Although Sims had a lousy April in Rome in 2013 (6.85 ERA, 7 K/10 BB), he pitched entirely out of the bullpen. I'm not saying he was coddled, but the Braves eased Sims into the rotation for some reason. No such easing with Salazar, who pitched poorly until his last outing. I am just urging extreme patience with a guy who is perceived to have a very high ceiling.

Guess he couldn't.

nsacpi
05-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Williams Perez...ground ball machine

Victor Reyes...hitting maching...average now at .344

thethe
05-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Peraza is showing why he is the organizations #1 prospect. This kid has really taken a huge step forward early on this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in AA in two months.

nsacpi
05-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Peraza is showing why he is the organizations #1 prospect. This kid has really taken a huge step forward early on this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in AA in two months.

His ability to play SS, 2B, 3B and every outfield position is going to be invaluable.

nsacpi
05-03-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't put much stock in W/L for our minor league teams because it's all about development, but I still think we are way too thin in the minors with offensive talent and that's starting to show up.

It has been a long time since I can remember so few position players putting in performances that will earn promotions to the next level. There are some big gaps developing in the system.

There are two redeeming considerations, however. One is we are relatively well-stocked in AAA. So it will be a few years before the gaps at the lower level affect major league depth.

The other redeeming thing about the position players is that with the exception of Bethancourt the first-tier prospects have at least held serve so far this year. By first-tier I mean the ones who have a reasonable shot of being starting players in the majors. We had six of those by my estimation coming into the season.

Two of them, Peraza and Victor Reyes, have done much more than hold serve so far. Both have boosted their prospect status during the first month of the season. Three others, Caratini, La Stella and Terdoslavich, have held serve. Most people probably don't consider Terdoslavich to be a first-tier prospect but I do. True he used up his rookie eligibility last year, but for now he is in the minors. And doing pretty well. The one who has slipped so far is Bethancourt. Increasingly, I'm convinced he will be no more than a backup at the major league level.

50PoundHead
05-03-2014, 10:12 PM
His ability to play SS, 2B, 3B and every outfield position is going to be invaluable.

Yeah, I'm totally convinced that he's prepared to play 3B after that one game of minor league action he's had at the position, not to mention the fact he's never played in inning in the OF. Don't get me wrong. His performance thus far is encouraging, but I'm not quite ready to slot him in at a position at which he has no experience.

If La Stella moves up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Reyes in Gwinnett (provided his hitting uptick isn't a mirage), with Gosselin moving back to 2B, and Peraza moving up to AA and maybe sliding back over to SS. Castro hasn't played as well as Peraza, but he's a little older with a little more experience at a higher level, so it's possible he could move up first (or instead). Reyes is the only guy in Mississippi who is remotely in the way of any IFer currently in A ball.

nsacpi
05-03-2014, 10:16 PM
My view is a SS with speed will in most cases be able to play the outfield pretty well. It doesn't mean they will be used there, because their defensive skills will often be more valuable elsewhere. I'll mention Billy Hamilton as a recent example. I believe BJ Upton was drafted as a SS and played there in the minors for a while.

rico43
05-03-2014, 10:21 PM
David Rohm has saved his heinie in Mississippi. After 16 games, he was hitting .123 (6 for 49). In his last nine games, he's hitting .382.

nsacpi
05-03-2014, 10:23 PM
David Rohm has saved his heinie in Mississippi. After 16 games, he was hitting .123 (6 for 49). In his last nine games, he's hitting .382.

Kubitza is also doing better lately. OPS over 1.000 the last ten games.

50PoundHead
05-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Braves signed Rohm to a nice-sized contract when he came out of JC, but he hasn't developed. Some like Kubitza and he has done better lately, but I don't either of them is going to amount to much. There has been some talk of moving Kubitza around and he has had some time at 1B and in the OF. He could be a decent 25th guy, but I don't think he's much more than that. For a guy who supposedly fields well, he sure makes a ton of errors. I think he has 8 already this season.

nsacpi
05-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Yeah. I'll be happy if Rohm or Kubitza turn into useful major league bench players.