PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

50PoundHead
05-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I imagine you Falcon fans want to know about Hageman. Watched him all four years up here in Minnesota. Extremely talented physically, but extremely raw and needs to clean up his technique and run his motor at a little higher RPM. Probably best in a rotation system. When he's dialed in and goes for it, he can destroy pretty much anything in front of him. Trouble is, he gets a bit confused at times, so he's probably best in a system that will just point him in a direction and turn him loose.

Great personal story. Overcame a very rough childhood. Was adopted by a family in South Minneapolis and made it through college (earned his degree in 4.5 years after almost being ineligible after his freshman year). Credit current Gopher coach Jerry Kill with helping him turn it around.

Carp
05-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Mettenberger is not better than Murrary or McCarron.

Disagree completely. On actual talent and NFL potential, he's definitely better than either one. But he obviously comes with some baggage.

50PoundHead
05-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Apparently the Falcons are big on size-speed picks today. Southward is big and fast, but has almost no polish.

Southward would get lost in a phone booth. I'm not a Badger fan, but he can probably identify every receiver in the Big 10 because he saw all the names on the back of the jerseys.

Heyward
05-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Minus 2012, Baalke has killed the draft.

He's top 2-5, or somewhere up there.

Still not sure how a roster that deep will have more than 6-7 rookies make their team.

And why i think they should of traded up for a blue-chip guy.

Tapate50
05-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Southward would get lost in a phone booth. I'm not a Badger fan, but he can probably identify every receiver in the Big 10 because he saw all the names on the back of the jerseys.
Watched the ASU game , he looks a but reluctant to put his hat in the fray, but if he plays cF for us that's fine more times than not. Is rather him play conservative until he figures out the next level. All the reviews say he can cover a slot guy, but was a bit stiff.

Tapate50
05-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Fired up for Jerrick to go in the 3rd round. That's two years running GSU puts someone in the top 3 Rds of the draft. Wish Atl had a shot at him, but oh well. He should get some work behind AP, but not be relied upon in any capacity in year 1.

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Minus 2012, Baalke has killed the draft.

He's top 2-5, or somewhere up there.

Still not sure how a roster that deep will have more than 6-7 rookies make their team.

And why i think they should of traded up for a blue-chip guy.

Aside from 25% of his drafts he's killed the draft? Come on lets be real. This isn't someone who's had an insane amount of drafts to look back on. His first year he was given an extra mid first round pick by the previous GM, sure he deserves some credit for not ****ting the bed but how much credit are you willing to give. His first real test draft as a winning GM was 2012 and he shat the bed. 2013 he addressed the singular need the team had and used the other picks for high risk high reward guys. Not a bad strategy but not amazing either.

As I look at it with him. Too early to really comment on 2013, but 2010 he had 3 quality picks, Davis, Iupati, and Bowman. Only Bowman was a late pick. 2011 was the banner year where they used their high picks to get Smith, second round pick of Kaepernick,and Culliver, with a few good value picks in Kilgore and Hunter.

Baalke has drafted what 8 or 9 of San Fran's starting 22? His predecessors 6 or 7 and the remaining balance were free agents. Good return basically averaging 2 NFL starters a draft, but that's not some kind of wizardry.

thethe
05-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Aside from 25% of his drafts he's killed the draft? Come on lets be real. This isn't someone who's had an insane amount of drafts to look back on. His first year he was given an extra mid first round pick by the previous GM, sure he deserves some credit for not ****ting the bed but how much credit are you willing to give. His first real test draft as a winning GM was 2012 and he shat the bed. 2013 he addressed the singular need the team had and used the other picks for high risk high reward guys. Not a bad strategy but not amazing either.

As I look at it with him. Too early to really comment on 2013, but 2010 he had 3 quality picks, Davis, Iupati, and Bowman. Only Bowman was a late pick. 2011 was the banner year where they used their high picks to get Smith, second round pick of Kaepernick,and Culliver, with a few good value picks in Kilgore and Hunter.

Baalke has drafted what 8 or 9 of San Fran's starting 22? His predecessors 6 or 7 and the remaining balance were free agents. Good return basically averaging 2 NFL starters a draft, but that's not some kind of wizardry.

These aren't just NFL starters. These are stars at their position. Who has had a higher hit rate the last 4 years?

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Falcons need to use number 103 on a OLB. Not sure who the best available is but they need someone to get to the QB. Glad we beefed up our OL, DL and are working on our secondary, all were needs, but we need someone who can get to the QB. Having an amazing secondary (not something Southward would magically do) is no good if they have to cover for 7 seconds. the season Trufant had last year was super impressive because he was out there in coverage so much and still was one of the top corners in the game. Falcons can't give QBs forever in the pocket, only Trufant has insane cover abilities. Willy Mo and Alford are ball hawks they need QBs to make mistakes and they take them away.

Serious question though, what are the odds that Southward is better than DeCoud right now? I'm not saying he is but DeCoud was brutal last year. He was OK when he only had to cover for a few seconds, but once the WR/TE had some time to run their route he looked horrific.

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 07:37 AM
These aren't just NFL starters. These are stars at their position.

I wouldn't call Kaepernick a star, he's very good and may become a star but I wouldn't call him a star. And there's no way Culliver and Reid are stars either. Maybe reid gets there but he's not there yet. The stars are Smith, Bowman, Iupati, and Davis. You can even argue Davis to a degree as he's not one of the elite LT does that mean he's even a star cause he's a really good LT? Kilgore haven't seen enough of to determine his ability. So I'll wait and see for the season.

In the last 4 years Dimitroff has added 3 stars does that make him amazing since he's one off from where the best drafter in the NFL is at? ANd he did all that without picking in the top 16 any season.

thethe
05-10-2014, 07:47 AM
I wouldn't call Kaepernick a star, he's very good and may become a star but I wouldn't call him a star. And there's no way Culliver and Reid are stars either. Maybe reid gets there but he's not there yet. The stars are Smith, Bowman, Iupati, and Davis. You can even argue Davis to a degree as he's not one of the elite LT does that mean he's even a star cause he's a really good LT? Kilgore haven't seen enough of to determine his ability. So I'll wait and see for the season.

In the last 4 years Dimitroff has added 3 stars does that make him amazing since he's one off from where the best drafter in the NFL is at? ANd he did all that without picking in the top 16 any season.

Who are the Falcons "stars" aside from Julio?

50PoundHead
05-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Watched the ASU game , he looks a but reluctant to put his hat in the fray, but if he plays cF for us that's fine more times than not. Is rather him play conservative until he figures out the next level. All the reviews say he can cover a slot guy, but was a bit stiff.

If he figures out how to play, he may develop into something. He's a third round pick based on his outstanding pro day performance and nothing other than that. Was one of the more "unnatural" players I've watched up here in the B1G.

cajunrevenge
05-10-2014, 09:29 AM
I was listening to the draft on fox sports radio and they are so butt hurt that Manziel wasn't drafted earlier. They keep playing thrse clips of someone who criticizes teams for not taking him. Even saying the Jags and Browns should be shutdown for not taking Manziel 3rd or 4th. They even had one guy who thought the saints were taking Manziel when they traded up.

Its almost as bad as espn and tgeir Manti Te'o zone ****.

CrimsonCowboy
05-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Uh Dallas, who did we just pick?

rico43
05-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Will not be able to root for this bastard Shembo that the Falcons just drafted. He and Notre Dame carry the stench of the worst of big-time football. Always despised the irish just because they so easily enter into these kinds of cover-ups. Shame on the Falcons for drafting this kind of person.

LINK (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-02-26/news/ct-seeberg-interview-met-20140226_1_lizzy-seeberg-tom-seeberg-seeberg-case)

Krovahn
05-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Only part of the Draft that overly disappointed me is that the Niners didn't use one of their last picks on Sam... even worse, he went to the Rams. SEC DPOY, even after a bad pro-day, is definitely worth a 7th round pick. Rams likely just got a steal.

Tapate50
05-10-2014, 07:50 PM
9rs had a big name draft. Got all the buzz guys.

Cannot complain one but about Falcons draft. Very nice work.

bravesnumberone
05-10-2014, 08:35 PM
No way in hell that Sam should have fallen back all the way to the seventh round. But good on St. Louis for drafting him.

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 08:35 PM

Cannot complain one but about Falcons draft. Very nice work.

Lucked out with a handful of quality late picks. Southward is the only questionable one but given the rate safeties were coming off the board needed a little stretch. But our day 3 was fantastic, got a need in the 4th who was expected to be a day 2 pick, Shembo well, no reason to sugar coat it the kid may be a total dirtbag. But he should be a decent edge rusher. ALlen should be quality depth, especially a good nickel as he lacks ideal size. Spruill intrigues me, probably will never play an significant time in Atlanta if we're ttoally healthy but looks like a solid ILB prospect. Really really really love the Smallwood pick. All awesome jokes aside, Falcons got a guy who was in discussion as a day 2 pick before pulling a hammy at the combine that hurt his value to being a 4-5 and then further dropped to us in the 7th. Fantastic pick. Smallwood I think will be the reason we don't see too much of Spruill, loved the tape I saw of him. I know nothing of Starr.

Glad the Falcons took a lot of LBs. Need LB depth to run a 3-4 and I'm sure that's where we'll be long term. WE'll run a hybrid this year though I'm sure.

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Only part of the Draft that overly disappointed me is that the Niners didn't use one of their last picks on Sam... even worse, he went to the Rams. SEC DPOY, even after a bad pro-day, is definitely worth a 7th round pick. Rams likely just got a steal.

No way in hell the Niners would take him, they had literally the only player in the NFL who said he wouldn't welcome a gay player into their locker room.

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Who are the Falcons "stars" aside from Julio?

Julio, Trufant and Spoon.

Pretty obvious he is.

Heyward
05-10-2014, 09:32 PM

Pretty obvious he is.

Spoon, eh, thats debateable.

Heyward
05-10-2014, 09:32 PM

Agreed, still not sure how they fit more than 6-7 rookies on their team though even if they "redshirt" 2-3 of them.

thethe
05-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Pretty obvious he is.

The CB yih drafted last year? Wow...Eric Reid is a star as well!!!

NinersSBChamps
05-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Agreed, still not sure how they fit more than 6-7 rookies on their team though even if they "redshirt" 2-3 of them.

They entered the draft with 11 picks. Left with 12 players and Stevie Johnson this weekend.

thethe
05-10-2014, 09:49 PM
They entered the draft with 11 picks. Left with 12 players and Stevie Johnson this weekend.

And he is signed to a reasonable contract. 49ers aare even deeper this year. Love the moves Baalke is making. Hopefully he and harbaugh can get along.

NinersSBChamps
05-10-2014, 09:53 PM
And he is signed to a reasonable contract. 49ers aare even deeper this year. Love the moves Baalke is making. Hopefully he and harbaugh can get along.

We have no cap room right now either. Will have some space freed up once Rogers comes off the books on June 1st.

Honestly my favorite pick was Marcus Martin. Versatile kid who can play center and guard.

NinersSBChamps
05-10-2014, 09:55 PM
And yes the team is stockpiling talent. There really is no excuse for not winning a Super Bowl this season. Barring a huge injury or two Bowman not withstanding this team has the most talent in the league. If Harbaugh can't win with this group he never will.

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 10:12 PM
The CB yih drafted last year? Wow...Eric Reid is a star as well!!!

Well barring a massive collapse, Trufant was one of the 10 best corners in the NFL, I am fairly certain he keeps that up. Especially since the Falcons couldn't rush the passer.

Reid wasn't close to Trufant's level.

NinersSBChamps
05-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Well barring a massive collapse, Trufant was one of the 10 best corners in the NFL, I am fairly certain he keeps that up. Especially since the Falcons couldn't rush the passer.

Reid was top 10 safeties last season. Just saying. More like top 7.

zitothebrave
05-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Reid was top 10 safeties last season. Just saying. More like top 7.

PFF had Reid as 23rd among all safeties.

Here's a read you can look up

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/08/2013-pff-defensive-rookie-of-the-year/

Notice no mention of Reid, but Trufant was their Rookie of the year. And posted sick cover stats despite the terrible falcons pass rush, imagine if he had less time to cover?

thethe
05-11-2014, 02:42 AM
Its one season. Lets see him do it again. Making him a star is a reach ti get a valid comparison between GMs. Baalke has blows TD away the last 4 tmyears.

zitothebrave
05-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Its one season. Lets see him do it again. Making him a star is a reach ti get a valid comparison between GMs. Baalke has blows TD away the last 4 tmyears.

And on average he's picked much higher so he didn't have to make a trade like the Julio trade to get say, Aldon Smith or Iupati, or Anthony Davis, they were at high picks from the Niners record or the previous GM's trade.

zitothebrave
05-11-2014, 07:04 AM
I guess my key point is so far he's gotten what 2 decent NFL starters so far who weren't high/mid first rounders or high seconds. Very good chance that both Hageman and Matthews start for Atlanta for quite some time. When you pick high in the draft it's easy to look brilliant. I'm not trying to compare Dimitroff to Baalke. I just brought it up for lulz. Dimitroff already left his stamp on Atlanta by bringing in Ryan, if Kaepernick stays healthy and one of the top 10 QBs in the NFL then Baalke will have left his mark on SF. BUt best drafter usually goes to teams that are constantly competitive but still replenish their teams. See Pats, Steelers, Ravens, etc.

thethe
05-11-2014, 07:14 AM
LOL...give credit to TD for Ryan and diminishes baalke for picking high. How ironic.

zitothebrave
05-11-2014, 07:23 AM
LOL...give credit to TD for Ryan and diminishes baalke for picking high. How ironic.

Never really gave him credit. I'm saying his legacy in the eyes of Falcons fans is set. He added the best QB in Atlanta's history. He's set even if he tanks drafts he'll be remembered fondly for that. If the Falcons get a ring he'll be idolized. Again I'm not comparing the 2. I just brought in Dimitroff for lulz. Because no one considers him an amazing drafter yet on the Falcons last year 14 of their 22 offensive and defensive starters were his picks. Sure many of them stank and have been replaced via FA. But he's still at 12 for this year assuming that something like Hageman beating out some of the other DL doesn't happen, and none of the FS we drafted take over. Again if KAepernick is legit adn is one of the top QBs in the NFL for a decade then Baalke has left his positive mark, if he isn't, what does he have to show that the previous SF GMs didn't?

And drafting QBs isn't as easy as drafting OL and DL. The bust rate on high OL and DL is much much lower than the bust rate on QBs.

zitothebrave
05-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Semi-conspiracy theory, What are the odds that the NFL encouraged teams to take Sam in the 7th round? I mean maybe they figured they'd get better ratings on the weak last day of the draft with the will Sam get drafted people paying attention.

Heyward
05-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Reid is gonna be really good.

I liked what i saw from him last year, impressive player.

Tapate50
05-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Trufant was a complete stud last year. Especially when you consider the huge learning curve at the position. It is much bigger than safety.

Lol thethe,
I like how Reid was a star (!!!!!!) after one year, but now let's wait before anointing Trufant. He would have had another int if Moore didn't knock him unconscious in the ez.

Tapate50
05-11-2014, 09:50 AM
TD also picked Ryan when most fans/execs/scouts thought they would go with the need at DT for Dorsey. That deserves some credit for seeing it and going for the guy he saw as a great qb.

Tapate50
05-11-2014, 10:06 AM
For anyone wondering about Southward... Looks like he will be a starter. Our staff coached him at he senior bowl .

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff confirmed third-round pick S Dezmen Southward will play free safety.
Southward will be the "center fielder" in Atlanta. He doesn't have much experience in man coverage but is an athletic freak who ran a scintillating 4.38 forty and posted a 42-inch vertical at Wisconsin's Pro Day. Southward has some injury red flags, but he should be able to beat out Dwight Lowery for the starting gig.

thethe
05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Atlanta Falcons: B-

Top needs: OT, DE/OLB, TE, S

Needs: C
Value: B

Summary: I was a big fan of the Jake Matthews pick when it happened, and I'm not changing my tune now. Big need, good player and you add the bonus of his versatility. The Falcons also got a pretty good safety prospect in Dez Southward, hitting another need. But there were also a couple areas I think they missed, and maybe it had to do with the way the board was breaking. For instance, they really need pass-rush help, and Demarcus Lawrence could have been an option at No. 37, but Dallas moved up and grabbed him. Atlanta ends up with a high-upside talent in Ra'Shede Hageman, but he ran really hot and cold at Minnesota. Devonta Freeman gives them an underrated running back, which is something they need, and maybe Prince Shembo can provide some value as a pass-rusher. Ricardo Allen is a solid player and gives them added depth at CB. Tyler Starr is also a sleeper as a pass-rushing addition. The question for me is whether they did enough to really help the pass rush, which was a big need, and I also think a tight end made sense given the departure at that position. Not bad, overall. Matthews will be good.

2014 draft picks
Rd Pk Pos Player College
(1) 6 T Jake Matthews Texas A&M
(2) 37 DT Ra'Shede Hageman Minnesota
(3) 68 DB Dez Southward Wisconsin
(4) 103 RB Devonta Freeman Florida State
(4) 139 OLB Prince Shembo Notre Dame
(5) 147 DB Ricardo Allen Purdue
(5) 168 LB Marquis Spruill Syracuse
(7) 253 OLB Yawin Smallwood UConn
(7) 255 LB Tyler Starr South Dakota

thethe
05-11-2014, 10:36 AM
I really like this Carlos Hyde pick. He was incredibly productive and based on clips I've watched of him he is an excellent cutter and doesn't seem to lose that much speed in and out of his cuts. I love that the team is still staying dedicted to the run. It really helps Kaep out and makes his running all the more effective.

yeezus
05-11-2014, 10:40 AM
I really like this Carlos Hyde pick. He was incredibly productive and based on clips I've watched of him he is an excellent cutter and doesn't seem to lose that much speed in and out of his cuts. I love that the team is still staying dedicted to the run. It really helps Kaep out and makes his running all the more effective.

You'll be much more impressed with his bruise-ability than his cuts or speed. Dude loves running up the middle.

thethe
05-11-2014, 10:43 AM
You'll be much more impressed with his bruise-ability than his cuts or speed. Dude loves running up the middle.

Yeah, his highlights were impressive for sure. Guy doesn't mind the contact but that probably means his career will peak quick and end even quicker.

cajunrevenge
05-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Matthews and Hageman were great picks by the Falcons. And I also think Hyde is going to be a stud. If the saints needed a rb I would have wanted it to be Hyde.

Tapate50
05-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Wasn't there some ?s about Hyde coming into the year about not being the starter? Always leery of rbs with a mobile qb.

Tapate50
05-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Atlanta Falcons: B-

Top needs: OT, DE/OLB, TE, S

Needs: C
Value: B

Summary: I was a big fan of the Jake Matthews pick when it happened, and I'm not changing my tune now. Big need, good player and you add the bonus of his versatility. The Falcons also got a pretty good safety prospect in Dez Southward, hitting another need. But there were also a couple areas I think they missed, and maybe it had to do with the way the board was breaking. For instance, they really need pass-rush help, and Demarcus Lawrence could have been an option at No. 37, but Dallas moved up and grabbed him. Atlanta ends up with a high-upside talent in Ra'Shede Hageman, but he ran really hot and cold at Minnesota. Devonta Freeman gives them an underrated running back, which is something they need, and maybe Prince Shembo can provide some value as a pass-rusher. Ricardo Allen is a solid player and gives them added depth at CB. Tyler Starr is also a sleeper as a pass-rushing addition. The question for me is whether they did enough to really help the pass rush, which was a big need, and I also think a tight end made sense given the departure at that position. Not bad, overall. Matthews will be good.

2014 draft picks
Rd Pk Pos Player College
(1) 6 T Jake Matthews Texas A&M
(2) 37 DT Ra'Shede Hageman Minnesota
(3) 68 DB Dez Southward Wisconsin
(4) 103 RB Devonta Freeman Florida State
(4) 139 OLB Prince Shembo Notre Dame
(5) 147 DB Ricardo Allen Purdue
(5) 168 LB Marquis Spruill Syracuse
(7) 253 OLB Yawin Smallwood UConn
(7) 255 LB Tyler Starr South Dakota

With an extremely weak TE class, we weren't going to draft a TE with a top 3 pick (which is the only place were you were going to get a starter). We would rather go 3 wide and use Levines big self on short routes and the red zone. I think Freeman was an awesome pick and should see time sooner rather than later. 4 guys that will probably see significant time this year with 3 getting HEAVY snaps. Hageman knows his weaknesses but has Cox to motivate him. Shouldn't be much of an issue going forward.

We tried to move back into the first for Ford, but couldn't meet the high price. Don't blame them in this draft.

NinersSBChamps
05-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Wasn't there some ?s about Hyde coming into the year about not being the starter? Always leery of rbs with a mobile qb.

He was involved in an assault case before the season. Magically the woman dropped the charges all of a sudden.

cajunrevenge
05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
With an extremely weak TE class, we weren't going to draft a TE with a top 3 pick (which is the only place were you were going to get a starter). We would rather go 3 wide and use Levines big self on short routes and the red zone. I think Freeman was an awesome pick and should see time sooner rather than later. 4 guys that will probably see significant time this year with 3 getting HEAVY snaps. Hageman knows his weaknesses but has Cox to motivate him. Shouldn't be much of an issue going forward.

We tried to move back into the first for Ford, but couldn't meet the high price. Don't blame them in this draft.

I disagree about this being a weak draft for tight ends.

zitothebrave
05-11-2014, 06:15 PM

It was come round 3. And I'd much rather use my second on a DL than a TE. Maybe if the Falcons traded down.

Tapate50
05-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Huge drop off after the top 3 guys and even they weren't very complete players. The later round guys probably wouldn't have been drafted in other years. Very thin class.

zitothebrave
05-11-2014, 06:38 PM
The kid we signed was rated about equal to everyone drafted after the second round.

zitothebrave
05-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Interesting factoid. This was the first draft since 1937 that no Longhorns were drafted. Meaning that this year a player from Princeton and Penn was taken but no one from Texas.

Carp
05-11-2014, 11:58 PM
I really like the Titans new RB Sankey. Think he was definitely the right pick there. Was nice to be able to trade down and still get our guy.

Also like the Mettenberger pick. Yes he has some issues, but on overall potential I think he's among the Top QB's in the class. If the drug test issue never came up, he's likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Only QB's in the class I wanted more were Manziel, Garoppolo, and Bortles.

thethe
05-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Question for you college football fans:

I've been reading that a lot of people believe Carlos Hyde was a better RB in college than Eddie Lacy. Is that true? Could Hyde be as prodductive as Lacy in his rookie season (with less attempts of course). I just don't know what level of competition Hyde went against in comparison to Lacy in addition to the quality of offensive lines.

Tapate50
05-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Question for you college football fans:

I've been reading that a lot of people believe Carlos Hyde was a better RB in college than Eddie Lacy. Is that true? Could Hyde be as prodductive as Lacy in his rookie season (with less attempts of course). I just don't know what level of competition Hyde went against in comparison to Lacy in addition to the quality of offensive lines.

I don't think so. Level of competition was probably down a good bit also. He had a very good OL in college, and was probably helped by the fact he had mobile Qbs as the main defensive focus.

I think whoever is saying that is drinking a large jug of Kool Aid.

Tapate50
05-12-2014, 07:53 AM
I really like the Titans new RB Sankey. Think he was definitely the right pick there. Was nice to be able to trade down and still get our guy.

Also like the Mettenberger pick. Yes he has some issues, but on overall potential I think he's among the Top QB's in the class. If the drug test issue never came up, he's likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Only QB's in the class I wanted more were Manziel, Garoppolo, and Bortles.

Roos gonna hang on? I'd hate for Carolina to snag him if he is cut.

thethe
05-12-2014, 08:02 AM
I don't think so. Level of competition was probably down a good bit also. He had a very good OL in college, and was probably helped by the fact he had mobile Qbs as the main defensive focus.

I think whoever is saying that is drinking a large jug of Kool Aid.

Doesn't Alabama always have a great offensive line as well? Either way, I'm excited about the pick. Highlights are misleading of course but he was really impressive on the tape that I watched.

gilesfan
05-12-2014, 08:24 AM
thethe, do you read homer Niners blogs?

Hyde was one of the better RBs in the draft, but he's nowhere close to Lacy coming out. Hyde is a Brandon Jacobs type, pretty slow, not elusive, won't break long runs, but will give you 3 yards.

Tapate50
05-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Doesn't Alabama always have a great offensive line as well? Either way, I'm excited about the pick. Highlights are misleading of course but he was really impressive on the tape that I watched.

You must be getting this from a 49rs board, because it really isn't even close.

Yes, but as a general rule they play against better defenses and lines.

Don't discount the mobile qb factor either. Most mobile qbs get a lot out of the running game.

I think it's a two day horseback ride to even compare the two, but some folks like their cucumbers pickled ya know.

It was a very weak class of rbs and TEs for all that this draft had to offer at other spots. Cb and wr were being taken left and right.

thethe
05-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Again, thats why I'm asking you guys because I do not watch college footbal. Thank you for the input. I hope he can at least be a serviceable secondary running back in short yardage situations.

gilesfan
05-12-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't watch combine junk or read Mel Kipers crap, but I do watch a ton of college football.

I love the Ravens draft. First 3 picks could be starters.

I would not have traded up for Watkins if I was the Bills. There were way too many WRs in this draft and chances are Watkins doesn't even end up as the best. (I love Cooks)

Browns had a heckuva draft and I don't like Johnny Foosball. If he pans out, they probably destroy this draft.

Lions took Ebron too early, but he can play and Van Noy is one of the best players I saw last year. They also signed DJ Morrell from ODU, who I've seen everyone of his games. He shutdown Aaron Donald last year.

Texans win this draft even if Clowney is so so. I love there picks 2nd through 4th/5th.

Jags got some weapons to go with Blackmon.

Chiefs seem to have a lol worthy draft.

VIkings were solid, should have done more damage with the amount of picks they had.

Steelers had a really solid draft as usual. Tuitt is perfect for them.

Skins draft was so so. Murphy was a reach, but was one of the top 3-5 defensive players in college football last year. Problem is he doesn't have NFL measurables for an OLB. I read that Stanford runs a non traditional strength program and the reason why his bench was so low. Possibility that he moves inside, but I think he probably takes over for Orakpo after next year. Moses should be the starting RT, I think that turns out to be the best pick.

NinersSBChamps
05-12-2014, 12:44 PM
ththe Hyde benefited greatly from an offensive line that was tops in the nation. That isn't his fault obviously. He is a physical runner who is athletic enough to make tacklers miss on occasion. He has good hands for a back his size. I don't think he displays very good vision, but it's hard to say for sure because a lot of his runs he just sprints through gaping holes. I don't compare him to Brandon Jacobs except they are both very strong running backs. Hyde has more speed granted it's not a ton. Lacy is a tougher runner as well.

50PoundHead
05-12-2014, 03:08 PM
CC, I see the Packers are planning to sign Adrian Hubbard provided he passes his physical. What's the scouting report on him?

Heyward
05-12-2014, 06:51 PM

After Ebron, Amaro, ASJ, Nikklas, and Fiedo, it's pretty weak, yeah.

Falcons needed to keep adding depth/talent to their Front 7.

TURBO
05-12-2014, 06:53 PM
You guys know anything about the TE the Pats signed. All I really saw was that he is one big dude, but very raw.