PDA

View Full Version : Alex Wood to Join Rotation in 2nd half?

skidlee
07-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 6m

As I said yesterday, I expect Wood to fill a spot in the rotation after he makes at least one Minor Lg. start. Maybe during the second turn.

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman

Trade, injuries, Beachy's progress could affect when Wood joins the rotation. With all things remaining equal, I'd still guess Medlen's spot

NinersSBChamps
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
As a guy who doesn't think Medlen is something special, I doubt he goes to the bullpen especially for Wood. Nor should be.

zitothebrave
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Why take Meds out? That doesn't make sense at all. I would assume Wood joining the second half rotation. I would assume it would be a 6 man type or rotation so Julio can be used in the playoffs. Or maybe slide Julio to the pen so he can be another deadly arm come post season

tvsportscaster
07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm guessing you might see a trade of Paul Maholm. If they can get some decent prospects for him in light of this being his free agent year, it wouldn't surprise me.

NinersSBChamps
07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Adding Wood to the rotation makes no sense unless we trade Maholm.

thethe
07-14-2013, 12:29 PM
This has to be the precursor to a trade.

We need to get Wood into the rotation though. Whether it be in the minors or majors. That kid is legit.

PawPawMaxwell
07-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Interesting that the WhiteSox are declared sellers, we are headed to Chicago. Could we leave someone there when we leave? Peavy a possibility? Sox are disgruntled with Dunn, Beckham and Alexi or so Ive read.
Anyone else of interest?

zitothebrave
07-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Wouldn't make sense with Beachy coming back. So unless we trade Maholm and Beachy has a setback I don't see a place unless we also trade Medlen as well or move huddy to the pen which JMO would be moronic since he's been awesome for us.

PawPawMaxwell
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing you might see a trade of Paul Maholm. If they can get some decent prospects for him in light of this being his free agent year, it wouldn't surprise me.

I cant think of anyone in contention who would give a decent prospect for Maholm.

AUTiger7222
07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Interesting that the WhiteSox are declared sellers, we are headed to Chicago. Could we leave someone there when we leave? Peavy a possibility? Sox are disgruntled with Dunn, Beckham and Alexi or so Ive read.
Anyone else of interest?

I just hope the Braves actually do well this time in Chicago against the White Sox. The Braves won their 1st ever game in Chicago against the White Sox in 2004 but have since lost 5 straight against the White Sox, all in Chicago. The only time the White Sox have ever come to Atlanta the Braves swept them in 2002.

drewdat
07-14-2013, 05:00 PM

On the one hand, it seems a bit rash, but on the other, we're getting pretty close to where we can consider/prioritize the postseason rotation, which Maholm shouldn't be a part of under any realistic set of circumstances, IMO. I'm thinking he has more value to another club for the rest of the season, and hopefully they'll pay for that value.

nsacpi
07-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Come September we'll be using our five most in-form starters. Not best, because to me quality is something that is revealed over a number of years. We will probably have seven to choose from. The current five, plus Beachy and Wood.

Minor has obviously been our most in-form guy in the first half. Followed by Teheran.

Could change by September. Come September and October the manager should give starts to the most in-form guys. Look what Bochy did last year. Lincecum sat in favor of Zito.

elmonthc
07-14-2013, 05:11 PM
6 man rotation and skip a couple huddy starts to save him for the playoffs?

Would we need to open up two spots for beachy and wood? Meds out of tye rotation would be a dumbarse move. Especially for a rookie pitcher.

Heyward
07-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Probably would mean Meds to the pen since he has experience there.

Could trade Maholm if possible though.

TURBO
07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Probably would mean Meds to the pen since he has experience there.

Could trade Maholm if possible though.

Welcome Heyward. About time

Heyward
07-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Not sure what they could get for Maholm, nothing enough to trade him.

stpeteirish
07-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Hudson's been named Friday starter. Not sure if that's enlightening or not. Wood replaces Maholm on 7/23, then Beachy plugs in somewhere later in the week and we go with a 6 man rotation if Beachy's healthy? I'm just guessing here.

nsacpi
07-15-2013, 08:36 AM
I believe Fredi has said Maholm is starting on Saturday.

AUTiger7222
07-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Hudson's been named Friday starter. Not sure if that's enlightening or not. Wood replaces Maholm on 7/23, then Beachy plugs in somewhere later in the week and we go with a 6 man rotation if Beachy's healthy? I'm just guessing here.

And I've already seen on Twitter that Teheran will now pitch in front of Medlen in the rotation.

I think the current rotation order should be Hudson, Minor, Medlen, Teheran and Maholm. Why? Well that gets us the lefty/righty all the way through the rotation and allows us avoid having Hudson, Medlen and Maholm pitching in a row which made it easier on teams because they are all groundball pitchers that throw in the same velocity range.

jpack1
07-15-2013, 10:31 AM
If we take Meds out but leave Maholm in then we are stupid. Maholm has been the worst pitcher so far.

emk418
07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I think it makes sense. Maholm is solid but he's pretty much our 5th starter right now. With the emergence of Teheran, we would be fine with another young arm in the 5th spot in the second half. It makes sense to me to spin off Maholm for a prospect or two and stretch out Wood. Wood can take Maholms spot until Beachy is back then either finish the year in the pen or go back to AAA to continue developing as a SP.

cajunrevenge
07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
I can only guess that Wood has really impressed the front office if he is going to be given a rotation spot. I dont really like the idea because at any time we could see a rash of injuries just like we have with the outfield. We have been pretty fortunate with a lack of injuries to the starting 5 of the rotation so far.

sturg33
07-15-2013, 12:44 PM
It would be dumb to trade Maholm considering we will be getting a first round pick for him - thethe

JohnAdcox
07-15-2013, 12:45 PM
I think it makes sense. Maholm is solid but he's pretty much our 5th starter right now. With the emergence of Teheran, we would be fine with another young arm in the 5th spot in the second half. It makes sense to me to spin off Maholm for a prospect or two and stretch out Wood. Wood can take Maholms spot until Beachy is back then either finish the year in the pen or go back to AAA to continue developing as a SP.

This, and I say that as a Maholm fan. There will be desperate semi-contenders that will overpay, at least a little, and the Braves have depth to compensate for, well, a few injuries, anyway. Maholm has been steady and dependable, but sadly, some of the playoff games will be on the road. I think the Braves will get some value.

TURBO
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
It would be dumb to trade Maholm considering we will be getting a first round pick for him - thethe

you act like thethe is the only one to make a mistake. It was funny at first, but just let it go.

Enscheff
07-15-2013, 01:19 PM
If Wren trades Maholm then he must have already decided he won't be making a qualifying offer. If that is the case, any return is better than no return when Paul signs elsewhere this offseason.

I see no problem in trading Maholm and using Wood in the rotation until Beachy is ready. At that point Wood goes back down and sits in AAA until a starter goes down with injury.

skidlee
07-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Wren was never going to make a qualifying offer to Maholm.

I could see a team looking a Maholm that doesn't want to spend big on garza or Bud Norris.

JohnAdcox
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Wren was never going to make a qualifying offer to Maholm.

I could see a team looking a Maholm that doesn't want to spend big on garza or Bud Norris.

Or after those guys are off the market. Although by then I guess the list of buyers is short.

emk418
07-15-2013, 01:53 PM
If we trade Maholm, I just don't see us not being able to still get solid innings out of the 5th spot between Wood and Beachy.

sturg33
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
you act like thethe is the only one to make a mistake. It was funny at first, but just let it go.

The difference is only thethe obsesses about reminding people how right he is on certain folks. If he wasn't so obsessed about being proven right, I would be less annoyed.

Eventually, if you make enough stupid predictions, one of them will come true. And he reminds us about it all the time

Heyward
07-15-2013, 04:55 PM

Depends on the offer.

Just a couple meh minor league prospects, no, but something somewhat decent, you consider it.

But since Julio may be shutdown in Sept b/c of an innings limit and potential injuries, i'd still keep him.