PDA

View Full Version : MINORS THREAD 5/18: Graham Gives It Another Go

rico43
05-17-2014, 09:22 PM
CLASS AAA

Indianapolis @ Gwinnett, ppd.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 4, Tennessee 2

SP: Graham 4 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K. (65 pitches)
WP: Shreve (1-0) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K.
Simmons (Save, 12) 1 IP, 0 H, 1 K.
M. Jones 1-3, 2B, R, RBI.
Rohm 1-3, 2B, 2 RBIs.
Hunter 1-3, 2B, RBI.
E. Reyes 1-3, R. (.362)

ADVANCED CLASS A

Wilmington 5, Lynchburg 4

SP: Batista 3 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
LP: Pruneda (0-2) 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.
Wren 1-4, 3 RBIs, SB.
Peraza 1-4, 3B, R, SB.
Skinner 1-3, R.
Nick 0-2, 2 BB, 2 OF assists.

CLASS A

Lakewood 8, Rome 3

LP: Gil (3-2) 5 IP, 12 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
Meneses 2-3, 2B, HR (8th), 2 RBIs.
Caratini 1-4, 2B.

Julio3000
05-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Braves made a MiL trade today: link. (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/05/minor-moves-osvaldo-martinez-angel-sanchez.html)

thethe
05-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Might be time to promote Menses and see what he can do at Lynchburg. Would be putting him in a good spot with Peraza/Wren hitting in front of him.

zitothebrave
05-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Might be time to promote Menses and see what he can do at Lynchburg. Would be putting him in a good spot with Peraza/Wren hitting in front of him.

I think we all know enough about Menses to not be told anything more. Good day Sir.

Tapate50
05-19-2014, 08:06 AM
I'd like to see that Lynchburg team play ball. Lots of speed there.

50PoundHead
05-19-2014, 09:52 AM

nsacpi had the Hefflinger comparison with Meneses last week and at face value it may be a good one. Only difference I see from a second glance is that Hefflinger didn't really get his feet underneath him until his third trip through Rome. If Meneses keeps hitting like he has been, my guess is he'll be in Lynchburg for the second half. There's certainly no one blocking him.

nsacpi
05-19-2014, 10:25 AM
I liked Meneses swing. Relatively compact. Good bat speed. He doesn't need to take a big hack to generate power. So I'm a bit higher on him after seeing him in person. I think he'll do better than Hefflinger as he gets promoted. But there is no guarantee of success. Maybe he tops out one level higher than Hefflinger. Maybe he goes on to a career as a bench player in the majors (a poor man's Terdoslavich). Those are the range of possibilities.

50PoundHead
05-19-2014, 10:39 AM
One can never tell. The minors are getting "older" top-to-bottom and it appears that for a lot of guys, the rungs of the ladder are ascended with greater deliberation on the part of the big club. The thing about Meneses is that he showed relatively little power previously to this season and had a terrible walk rate. How big did he look in person? He's listed as 6-3, 190, but those heights/weights are usually what they were when the prospect was signed.

nsacpi
05-19-2014, 10:49 AM
One can never tell. The minors are getting "older" top-to-bottom and it appears that for a lot of guys, the rungs of the ladder are ascended with greater deliberation on the part of the big club. The thing about Meneses is that he showed relatively little power previously to this season and had a terrible walk rate. How big did he look in person? He's listed as 6-3, 190, but those heights/weights are usually what they were when the prospect was signed.

He looks more like an outfielder than first baseman. Definitely not your prototypical lumbering first baseman. The weight looks right. I would have guessed an inch or two shorter. I didn't think he was as tall as Reyes who is listed as 6'3. But taller than Caratini who is listed as 6'0.

clvclv
05-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Shae Simmons has to have put himself in the conversation for next pen call-up when there's a need.

nsacpi
05-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Shae Simmons has to have put himself in the conversation for next pen call-up when there's a need.

I think he'll get promoted to AAA in a month or so. He could end up in the big leagues this year if we have some injuries. The "next in line" guy to me is Cody Martin. He's been doing very well in the rotation in AAA and has experience as a reliever. Neither Simmons nor Martin are members of the 40-man roster. If there is a short-term need the Braves might go with a guy already on the roster. Schlosser, Buchter, Obispo and Jaime are all on the 40-man. They are doing ok in AAA, but not as well as Martin and Simmons.