PDA

View Full Version : MINORS FINAL 5/23: Former 5th round pick Reynolds gets 50-game suspension

rico43
05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
J.R. Graham teased Braves fans Friday. The first four batters reached against him in Chattanooga (one a bunt), but he had a caught stealing and struck out the next two, hitting 96 on the gun on the final strike.

Graham went on to retire 12 straight hitters, but ran out of juice one out shy of getting the win. He still threw 77 pitches, his season high (four strikeouts, no walks).

Cedric Hunter former Indians farmhand who was a FA, hit two homers with five RBIs and added his first SB of the season. Hunter is a lefty hitter and solid defensive LF (0 errors in 32 games). Myke Jones had two hits, 2 runs, RBI and is batting (.316). Reyes had an 0-fer but is still hitting .350.

Northcraft starting Sunday due to heavy pitch count last start.
-----------------
Both Rob Hefflinger and Matt Lipka have had hand surgery, but two vastly different problems. Heff is almost definitely out for the season, while Lipka hopes to return later on. Carlos Perez, the once-promising lefty who walked 11 in 2.1 innings, was put on the DL with a stomach virus, but remains in Disney over six weeks later.

---------------------

CLASS AAA

Norfolk 12, Gwinnett 5

SP: Maya 6.1 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
LP: Lamm (1-3) 0.2 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 K.
Gosselin 4-5, 2B, 2 RBIs, SB. (.339)
La Stella 1-3, 2 BB. (.303)
Boggs 2-5, 2B, HR (1st), 2 R, RBI.
Cunningham 2-5, R, RBI.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 7, Chattanooga 5

SP: Graham 4.2 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.
WP: Cornely (4-1) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Simmons (Save, 13) 1 IP, 2 BB, 0 K.
Hunter 2-4, 2 HRs (4), 5 RBIs, SB.
Jones 2-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI.
Carroll 1-4, R, RBI, SB.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg 10, Winston-Salem 4

WP: Batista (2-1) 5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, HBP, 2 WP.
Moore 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Skinner 3-5, 2B, 4 RBIs.
Castro 2-3, 2B, R, RBI.
Elander 2-5, 2 2B, 2 R, RBI.
Wren 2-4, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2 SB (21).

CLASS A

Greensboro 14, Rome 4

LP: Holland (1-2) 3.1 IP, 9 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
Lien 2-4, 2B, 2 RBIs. (debut)
Meneses 1-3, 2B.
V. Reyes 1-4, R.
Camargo 2-4, 3B, R, RBI.

ROSTER MOVES: Pitcher Ryan Kelly, on the Miss. DL all season, has been activated and assigned to Lynchburg.
Tyler Tewell activated from DL for Lynchburg; C Anthony Nunez assigned to Danville; P Colby Holmes assigned to Rome; P Eric Pfisterererer released.
OF Connor Lien promoted from Danville roster to Rome. 1B A.J. Kirby-Jones released. Rome SS Mikey Reynolds placed on restricted list, suspended for 50 games for first positive test for Methylphenidate.

50PoundHead
05-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Reynolds had not played since April 24. My guess is he's been injured and I wonder if he took the drug to aid his recovery. Too bad at any rate.

thethe
05-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Elander getting hot again. Did he get hurt? He was out for a bit there and is finally getting back into the swing of things. Guy is one of the better power prospects we have in the system. Maybe the top power guy.

rico43
05-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Elander getting hot again. Did he get hurt? He was out for a bit there and is finally getting back into the swing of things. Guy is one of the better power prospects we have in the system. Maybe the top power guy.

Elander just came off the DL the first of the week.

nsacpi
05-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Reynolds had not played since April 24. My guess is he's been injured and I wonder if he took the drug to aid his recovery. Too bad at any rate.

Methylphenidate is used to treat ADHD. Doubt it helps with recovery from an injury.

nsacpi
05-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Gosselin now at .339 after his 4-hit game. BABIP now at .400, but I bet his line drive percentage explains part of that. The small sample is getting bigger.

50PoundHead
05-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Methylphenidate is used to treat ADHD. Doubt it helps with recovery from an injury.

I had no idea. Thanks for cluing me in. I imagine it's high-powered speed.

rico, I've done a bit of research on Cedric Hunter and he was a high draft pick out of high school who actually made it to the big leagues with San Diego (a whole three seasons ago). He hit two dingers last night. Hard to tell with a 26-year-old who is retracing his steps, but did he have the "look" of a guy who can play?

weso1
05-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Reynolds should have just just roided the crap out of it. Same 50 game suspension. He blew it.

rico43
05-25-2014, 08:15 AM
I had no idea. Thanks for cluing me in. I imagine it's high-powered speed.

rico, I've done a bit of research on Cedric Hunter and he was a high draft pick out of high school who actually made it to the big leagues with San Diego (a whole three seasons ago). He hit two dingers last night. Hard to tell with a 26-year-old who is retracing his steps, but did he have the "look" of a guy who can play?

He's been battling a chronic hamstring problem all year, which is why he was pinch-run for after stealing a base! But definitely a plus outfielder whose hitting is more streaky than impressive. You can bet they'll stick with him all season to make sure, but Mychal Jones looks to be the far superior prospect right now.

rico43
05-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Reynolds should have just just roided the crap out of it. Same 50 game suspension. He blew it.

According to baseball america, Baseball has busted two Texas A&M guys this month alone for drugging it up. Makes you wonder what kind of parties they throw there.