PDA

View Full Version : MINORS THREAD 6/9: A note on Nick.

rico43
06-08-2014, 09:05 PM
David Nick, who is proving he is no Class A ballplayer, is hitting a productive .313 for Lynchburg in their attempt to hang on to a first-half pennant race. He was released by the Arizona organization in May, sort of a quick exit for a former fourth-round pick (out of HS) who is still only 24.
Nick was an all-star in the Pioneer League in 2009 while being named by Baseball America as one of the league’s top-20 prospects.
As recently as 2012, he was rated the No. 16 prospect in the D-Backs organization and was in Double-A. In May of 2013, he was bumped back to the Cal League, where i 2011, he hit 13-68-.300 with a hefty 169 hits.
He was still productive 10-41-.259, but he was still released March 30 of this spring. As Matt Eddy wrote,
"fourth-round pick out of high school in 2009, David Nick reached Double-A Mobile in each of the past two seasons, batting a cumulative .241/.294/.339 in 144 games. With limited power or speed, however, and with a tumble down the defensive spectrum from prep shortstop to pro second baseman to, most recently, left fielder, he fell out of the organization’s plans."
Nick hooked up withthe Southern Illinois Miners, but was signed by the Braves before ever playing in a game.
He is also the fourth Miner to join the Braves’ system in the last 12 months alone, joining Brandon Cunniff, Race Parmenter (since released) and Pete Perez from 2013.

----------

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 2, Rochester 1

WP: C. Martin (4-5) 6.2 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.
Jaime (Save, 12) 1 IP, 0 H.
Gosselin 2-4, 3B, R, RBI.
Simunic 1-3, R. (1st start)

CLASS AA

Chattanooga 2, Mississippi 1

LP: Northcraft (7-3) 7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 K.
Kleinknecht 2-3, RBI.
Nunez 2-4.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Myrtle Beach 5, Lynchburg 0

LP: G. Ross (4-3) 6.1 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 K.
Wren 2-4.

CLASS A

Augusta 10, Rome 1

LP: Watts (1-1) 4.2 IP, 11 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
Tate 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.
Wilson 1-4, HR (1st), RBI.
Caratini 1-2, 2B.

SHORT-SEASON

DSL Braves 7, DSL Angels 1

SP: Sanchez 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K.
Jesus Jones 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
WP: Joaquin (1-0) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.
Arias 3-5, 2B, R, RBI. (.357)
Willems 1-4, 2B, R, 3 RBIs.
Mercuri 2-4, 2 R, RBI.

rico43
06-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Nothing felt especially different for Mitch Atkins on Sunday. It all simply felt better, and it showed.

Atkins pitched six hitless innings, striking out seven and issuing just one walk, as Double-A Mississippi thumped Chattanooga, 14-1, at Trustmark Park.

"When I'm in a groove like that, and [catcher Matt Kennelly's] putting down the right fingers, it's easy for me to pitch and throw the ball and not have to worry about certain things," Atkins said. "Once you get in a groove, it's not too much thinking; it's just get the ball and throw."

The 28-year-old right-hander found himself in a jam in the first inning after hitting O'Koyea Dickson with a pitch and walking Daniel Mayora. That may have been the catalyst he needed. Atkins (1-0) recorded the final out in the first, then faced the minimum the rest of the day.

The lone man to reach base against the 2004 seventh-round pick after the opening inning was Scott Schebler, who got to first on a wild pitch for strike three. Even there, Atkins had an answer by picking off Schebler.

Back in Double-A after going 1-3 with a 4.72 ERA in 11 appearances for Triple-A Gwinnett, Atkins has acquitted himself well through his first two Southern League outings. After yielding two runs over five innings in his first start five days ago, he lowered his ERA to 1.64 and his opponents' batting average to .083.

"I started off a little rough this year," Atkins said, "and then I guess you just try to find out what works, try to look back on your good starts and figure out what's working for you. Maybe I figured something out tonight, so I'm going to try to keep it going, no matter where I am this year."

rico43
06-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Braves have signed Indy League pitcher Cody Scarpetta, who was 0-2 with Lancaster. He was 8-5 with Brewers Class AA in 2011, but had Tommy John surgery in June of 2012. Sound familiar?

Was originally 11th round pick of Brewers in 2008 out of Illinois high school. Stil only 25, but a hefty boy at 6-3, 250. Averaged better than a strikeout per inning for his entire minor league career. Word is he is put on Lynchburg roster.

50PoundHead
06-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Braves have signed Indy League pitcher Cody Scarpetta, who was 0-2 with Lancaster. He was 8-5 with Brewers Class AA in 2011, but had Tommy John surgery in June of 2012. Sound familiar?

Was originally 11th round pick of Brewers in 2008 out of Illinois high school. Stil only 25, but a hefty boy at 6-3, 250. Averaged better than a strikeout per inning for his entire minor league career. Word is he is put on Lynchburg roster.

Add to this, his cousin Brett was drafted by the Braves in the 33rd round of the 2006 draft but did not sign.

nsacpi
06-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Chasen Shreve has quietly put together an outstanding season.

(rico adds)
Lefty with control. Love that about him, too.
24 G, 3-0, 1 save, 2.50 ERA, 40 IP, 7 BB, 51 K
Strikeout ratio way up this year; betting he's perfecting a pitch

50PoundHead
06-10-2014, 08:18 AM
One thing I've noticed about Shreve over the years is that his splits are reversed RHH v. LHH. He's been more effective against RHH. Could have a killer change-up or some type of screwball working. He's climbed slowly and steadily. Can never have too much pitching.

In another brother connection, Braves drafted Chasen's brother Colby in the 8th round of the 2007 draft, but Colby went to the Community College of Southern Nevada (baseball factory that Chasen, Bryce Harper, Jordan Parraz, and other notables attended) instead. He was drafted by the Phillies a year later in the 6th round and after having a couple of injury setbacks, he made it to AA in 2013. I don't see him on any roster this year, so he's either injured again or has been released.

rico43
06-10-2014, 01:36 PM
One thing I've noticed about Shreve over the years is that his splits are reversed RHH v. LHH. He's been more effective against RHH. Could have a killer change-up or some type of screwball working. He's climbed slowly and steadily. Can never have too much pitching.

In another brother connection, Braves drafted Chasen's brother Colby in the 8th round of the 2007 draft, but Colby went to the Community College of Southern Nevada (baseball factory that Chasen, Bryce Harper, Jordan Parraz, and other notables attended) instead. He was drafted by the Phillies a year later in the 6th round and after having a couple of injury setbacks, he made it to AA in 2013. I don't see him on any roster this year, so he's either injured again or has been released.

My search indicated that he signed with the Astros in February and has been in extended spring and might actually be on the GCL roster as a placeholder. He would have to be cut or promoted, because I don't think they allow a veteran of his years to play in the GCL unless it is a rehab situation.

MadduxFanII
06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Is something wrong with this thread? I don't see Peraza doing anything awesome in the round-up.

rico43
06-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Is something wrong with this thread? I don't see Peraza doing anything awesome in the round-up.

Myrtle Beach happened. 42-20 in the first half, is 4-0 against Lynchburg, which has scored four runs in four games (27-4).
Peraza games against them:
1-4
3-4, 2B, R.
1-2, 3B. (6-inning game)
1-5.

He's still hitting .330, second only to another infielder named Reed Gragnani of Salem, who is at .337 but with 80 fewer at-bats. Peraza has 16 more hits than anyone else in the league. As the Braves broadcasters pointed out, Simmons won the batting title in this league hitting just .311.

Tapate50
06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Myrtle Beach happened. 42-20 in the first half, is 4-0 against Lynchburg, which has scored four runs in four games (27-4).
Peraza games against them:
1-4
3-4, 2B, R.
1-2, 3B. (6-inning game)
1-5.

He's still hitting .330, second only to another infielder named Reed Gragnani of Salem, who is at .337 but with 80 fewer at-bats. Peraza has 16 more hits than anyone else in the league. As the Braves broadcasters pointed out, Simmons won the batting title in this league hitting just .311.

Great info. Thanks.