PDA

View Full Version : I need a new car

Krgrecw
07-16-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm not a gear head at all. I have about 20k I can spend on a new car/truck. I figure my current 05 Saturn ion with 90k is worth perhaps 1k on a trade in.

What is the best car/truck in that price range? Can't be a stick shift. I'm also 6 foot 7 and about 330 pounds so I'm thinking of getting a truck since I won't have to bend down and such getting in and out of cars. I keep on going back to the cheap Toyota Tacoma truck which fits into that price range. Is there really that much of a difference between cars in that price range or is the difference really the brands?

Thinking of the cheap Tacoma or the new corolla which comes out in a few weeks. Thanks in advance

zitothebrave
07-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Prius C or whichever the cheap one is. Fuel efficiency is key in this big oil run world.

Carp
07-16-2013, 11:55 PM
If you're going truck, I'd look into the F-150 Eco-Boost. Big truck feel, but gets 24 MPG

Metaphysicist
07-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Prius C or whichever the cheap one is. Fuel efficiency is key in this big oil run world.

You think someone who is 6'7" and 330 should get a Prius?

TURBO
07-17-2013, 12:55 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I dont even want to be crawling into a prius.

BlackwaterPark
07-17-2013, 06:15 AM
I love my Honda Ridgeline.

zitothebrave
07-17-2013, 07:52 AM

My brother who's 6'2 fits fine in his Prius. I fit fine into it and I'm 6'3.

Personally, I'd suck up the minor discomfort to double or triple my gas mileage. Now that said for someone my size in a Prius, it doesn't seat 4, cause no one is fitting in behind me. One thing with a lot of those type of cars (my girlfriend drives a Focus which I can fit into pretty easily and comfortably) is the seat goes all the way back, leaving almost no place for someone to sit behind you.

gilesfan
07-17-2013, 10:19 AM
LOL off Zito recommending a Prius to someone that big. Please take his word with a grain of salt. Do not get a ****in Prius.

Metaphysicist
07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
My brother who's 6'2 fits fine in his Prius. I fit fine into it and I'm 6'3.

Personally, I'd suck up the minor discomfort to double or triple my gas mileage. Now that said for someone my size in a Prius, it doesn't seat 4, cause no one is fitting in behind me. One thing with a lot of those type of cars (my girlfriend drives a Focus which I can fit into pretty easily and comfortably) is the seat goes all the way back, leaving almost no place for someone to sit behind you.

Yes, I am 6'2" as well, and my mom had a Prius that I spent plenty of time. I fit in there, sure. But I wouldn't equate my size to someone who had 5 inches and 100+ pounds on me. That's like saying I am the same size as someone that is 5'9" and 100 pounds.

krgrecw, for perspective, even my 5'5" mother eventually ditched her Prius because it was too small (not in terms of "can she fit," but how it drives; it can feel like it is getting tossed around in crosswinds sometimes, for example) and didn't feel like she was driving a real car.

gilesfan
07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Zito, please buy a Prius and take pics for us.

Kgrew, I am 6-3 200. I find the Tacoma a bit small, but manablable for me. I have 2 kids car seats in the back and have to eat the steering wheel though.

Tapate50
07-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Best bet? Finding a used tahoe or yukon or explorer.

We bought my wifes Yukon from a Nissan dealer locally, and they had big incentives for the new altimas. Seemed VERY affordable and well finished for the price. Check them out, but ive never had one.

I LOL'd at the Prius comment. HARD.

The Chosen One
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Zito's that kid that everyone busts his balls for every opinion and positive helpful advice he tries to give out.

Just look at how he's getting his balls busted in the REAL TALK forum in the Zimmerman thread.

Poor guy, the Sandusky effect must've really taken a toll on him and stuttered his emotional and mental maturation.

AerchAngel
07-17-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm also 6 foot 7 and about 330 pounds

What is your wrestling name in WWE/TNA/ROH?

AerchAngel
07-17-2013, 11:08 AM
And I thought I was a big person at 6'1" and 245 lbs.

You all have me trumped.

Dayuuuuum.

The Chosen One
07-17-2013, 11:10 AM
I THINK he might be Rikishi. Or he might be Prince Albert. Actually, the Undertaker's current out of shape body sounds like it could be that.

weso1
07-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Today I discovered that I may be the shortest person here.

The Chosen One
07-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Today I discovered that I may be the shortest person here.

I'm 5"6, 142.

AerchAngel
07-17-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm 5"6, 142.

X-Division of TNA?

The Chosen One
07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
X-Division of TNA?

Growing up, I wanted to be in the WCW Cruiserweight Division watching Mysterio, Ultimo, Malenko (even though he wasn't really a high flyer), Juventud do all of those insane athletic reversals, maneuvers, etc.

The reformed WWE Cruiserweight Division was just skinny short guys wrestling like heavyweights, nothing exciting.

I think TNA has kind of milked the X-Division too much. It used to be something to look forward to, but now they've kinda toned it down a little.

BRule
07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I heart Zito

Also, lease a new car/SUV/Truck....save your savings.

Tapate50
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I heart Zito

Also, lease a new car/SUV/Truck....save your savings.

May drive too many miles.

BRule
07-17-2013, 01:04 PM
As long as he drives under 15-17k a year it's worth it.

Tapate50
07-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Every lease I have ever seen was like 10-12k. They really rape ya on going over.

BRule
07-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Every lease I have ever seen was like 10-12k. They really rape ya on going over.

Most places will bump your payment 10$ a month for every 5k you go up a year...but I've only ever bought/leased Toyota and Nissan.

Krgrecw
07-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. I lol'd at the Prius. I was 175 lbs, size 34 pants when I moved out 14 years ago and since then I've put on around 155 lbs and now wear size 44 pants.

People have no idea how hard it is to find a size 4xlt shirt:)

TURBO
07-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. I lol'd at the Prius. I was 175 lbs, size 34 pants when I moved out 14 years ago and since then I've put on around 155 lbs and now wear size 44 pants.

People have no idea how hard it is to find a size 4xlt shirt:)

A buddy of mine is a big, not as tall but weighs more. He has hard time finding clothes too.

GMAJAH25
07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Chrysler 300
Dodge Charger
Dodge Ram
Chevy Malibu
Pontiac G8 GT

Tapate50
07-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Dodge Stratus?!

zitothebrave
07-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Yes, I am 6'2" as well, and my mom had a Prius that I spent plenty of time. I fit in there, sure. But I wouldn't equate my size to someone who had 5 inches and 100+ pounds on me. That's like saying I am the same size as someone that is 5'9" and 100 pounds.

krgrecw, for perspective, even my 5'5" mother eventually ditched her Prius because it was too small (not in terms of "can she fit," but how it drives; it can feel like it is getting tossed around in crosswinds sometimes, for example) and didn't feel like she was driving a real car.

And who's to say he wouldn't fit comfortably in it? How one person drives is different than another. While true 6'7 is much taller than 6'2, for me, in a world where gas is approaching 5 a gallon, I'd suck it up.

If my choice is a Prius with 45 MPG or a truck with 20 MPG I'd suck it up knowing that I'm potentially saving around 1000 bucks a year (assuming 3.50 a gallon and 10K miles a year) If it's 100% uncomfortable that's fine but consider he's been rolling around in a Saturn that's probably about the same size maybe a little smaller, I wouldn't think the size would be the biggest issue for me, and he's considering a Corolla which is a little bit larger than the Prius but I don't know if it sits larger.

BRule
07-17-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm 6'2 and my knees rub up against the dash on my girlfriends Corolla......stop with the prius talk

zitothebrave
07-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Most places will bump your payment 10$ a month for every 5k you go up a year...but I've only ever bought/leased Toyota and Nissan.

Leasing cars is for suckers. Only people who should ever lease are people who "need" new cars every 3 or 4 years. Personally, I love not having a car payment, one of the most liberating and awesome feelings there is.

Think of it this way, if you buy a car you pay say 500 a month for 6 years you walk out of it with a car that you can sell for some money or not keep on a lease, however you want to shake it. If after your lease you want to buy your car, your purchase price may be (in my experience almost always is) way higher than the car is actually worth. So if you want to buy your car you may be paying an astronomical rate and potentially making a payment on it because the cost is too high.

The BEST way to buy a car bang for buck is some good research and getting a pretty new used car. Or if you can get 0% financing on a new car as your money you save on inflation potentially outweighs the money wasted on buying a new car)

For example, my GF got last year a 2010 Ford Focus somewhat decked out with I believe 60K miles on it for around 11K, a new one would have run her around 20K 2 years earlier so basically in the 2/2 and a half year of waiting on the car almost half it's value was lost.

zitothebrave
07-17-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm 6'2 and my knees rub up against the dash on my girlfriends Corolla......stop with the prius talk

I'm just speaking the troof. I would much rather have a Prius and be slightly uncomfortable and save 1K a year, call me crazy but that's not chump change. In the words that pretty much everyone wants me to say, it would buy a hell of a lot of mustard.

BRule
07-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Leasing cars is for suckers. Only people who should ever lease are people who "need" new cars every 3 or 4 years. Personally, I love not having a car payment, one of the most liberating and awesome feelings there is.

Think of it this way, if you buy a car you pay say 500 a month for 6 years you walk out of it with a car that you can sell for some money or not keep on a lease, however you want to shake it. If after your lease you want to buy your car, your purchase price may be (in my experience almost always is) way higher than the car is actually worth. So if you want to buy your car you may be paying an astronomical rate and potentially making a payment on it because the cost is too high.

The BEST way to buy a car bang for buck is some good research and getting a pretty new used car. Or if you can get 0% financing on a new car as your money you save on inflation potentially outweighs the money wasted on buying a new car)

For example, my GF got last year a 2010 Ford Focus somewhat decked out with I believe 60K miles on it for around 11K, a new one would have run her around 20K 2 years earlier so basically in the 2/2 and a half year of waiting on the car almost half it's value was lost.

To each their own but I have no interest in keeping a car for 7+ years......If I'm going to pay 300-500$ a month to finance a car for 5 years and then just sell it in the 6th year....why wouldn't I lease the car for $100-$200 less and keep getting a new one every 2-3 years.....assuming you don't mind a car payment/can afford it.

Also....you're giving up your comfort in a vehicle you'll drive EVERY DAY, FOR YEARS......over 2-3$ a day or 80$ a month or 20$ a week. That just doesn't make sense to me...

zitothebrave
07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
To each their own but I have no interest in keeping a car for 7+ years......If I'm going to pay 300-500$ a month to finance a car for 5 years and then just sell it in the 6th year....why wouldn't I lease the car for $100-$200 less and keep getting a new one every 2-3 years.....assuming you don't mind a car payment/can afford it.

Also....you're giving up your comfort in a vehicle you'll drive EVERY DAY, FOR YEARS......over 2-3$ a day or 80$ a month or 20$ a week. That just doesn't make sense to me...

Yes I would. And I was going on a relatively conservative guestimate. Could be saving more.

If I use Edmond's true cost to own calculator they have the Prius C at 34,947, that's factoring in depreciation, insurance, financing, etc. The Tacoma is at 46,864, pretty much the entire difference is an estimated savings of around 10K in fuel with an estimate of 15K miles driven a year. If this is a long term investment and the initial cost is close to the same, why wouldn't you take something that pays out much higher?

By the way the 3 dollars a day thing is how sales people convince someone to buy **** they dont' really need. Hey if you get this GPD unit it's only 15 more bucks a month, 50 cents a day. Not telling you of course that you're spending 900 bucks for something you really don't need, but instead hooking you on the "ppennies a day" problem is those pennies a day quickly add up to several dollars.

NinersSBChamps
07-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Is this a measurements thread or a vehicle thread?

Carp
07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm just speaking the troof. I would much rather have a Prius and be slightly uncomfortable and save 1K a year, call me crazy but that's not chump change. In the words that pretty much everyone wants me to say, it would buy a hell of a lot of mustard.

If you're dropping 20k on a car you'd a f'n moron to buy a car you're uncomfortable in.

Hell if you're main concern is gas mileage buy a friggin Vespa

Carp
07-17-2013, 06:43 PM

If you can afford it and don't mind having a car payment for forever, then yeah that's cool. But if I'm buying a new/almost new vehicle, I'm probably going to keep it for 10 yrs or more hopefully.

gilesfan
07-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Zito spends his money on mustard so he can't afford gas. Claiming a prius is "slightly uncomfortable" is ridic

sturg33
07-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I bought a Ford Focus for gas mileage - but it was so small I was going insane and 10 months later I switched.

Cost myself a couple of grand but my new Altima is much more spacious and comfortable. Also, the 2013 Altimas get great gas mileage 28/38.

By the way, I bought my Focus but am leasing the Altima. I put zero down for the lease (zero taxes, zero signing fees, zero tags fees). And my monthly payment is $269 and I got a bump to 15K miles a year. In other words, leasing does allow you to get a really cheap payment with a little negotiation. My buyoff quote is a little much (14K), but by then I expect to be a lot richer than I am now and will likely to upgrade (unless of course the inevidible economic collapse takes place :)

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Zito spends his money on mustard so he can't afford gas. Claiming a prius is "slightly uncomfortable" is ridic

Do you want a car to swaddle your balls in cotton? Seriously it's a tool used to get from point A to point B and back. Unless you're in your car for several hours a day the comfort factor shouldn't be the first play.

Again krg is going from a saturn ion to his new car, if you are too lazy to look up what the Saturn Ion is it's a car that's 15'4" long 4'9" tall and 5'7" wide. Interior has 40 inches of headroom and 42 inches of legroom. 49.5" hip room 53.7" shoulder room. The Prius C is 13'1 long 4'9" tall 5'7" wide. Interior has 38.6" headroom 41.7" legroom 51" hip room 52.3" Shoulder room

So yes it's a little smaller than his current car so maybe a smidge less comfortable but not a massive amount I'd guess. It's not like he's going from an Escalade to a Prius.

I mean if it was me, first I wouldn't buy a new car, I'd buy a used one, and I'd get a used Fusion hybrid.

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 11:16 AM
I bought a Ford Focus for gas mileage - but it was so small I was going insane and 10 months later I switched.

Cost myself a couple of grand but my new Altima is much more spacious and comfortable. Also, the 2013 Altimas get great gas mileage 28/38.

By the way, I bought my Focus but am leasing the Altima. I put zero down for the lease (zero taxes, zero signing fees, zero tags fees). And my monthly payment is $269 and I got a bump to 15K miles a year. In other words, leasing does allow you to get a really cheap payment with a little negotiation. My buyoff quote is a little much (14K), but by then I expect to be a lot richer than I am now and will likely to upgrade (unless of course the inevidible economic collapse takes place :)

BTW I assume you got a 3 year lease am I right?

So you'll be spending 9684 dollars for something you won't even own. Or if it's a 4 year 12,912

That's beyond insane to me. Sure if it's BS like taxes you deal with it. But that's an insane amount of money to pay for something that's not actually yours.

I'd also advise you all as someoen who used to do car sales, there's a reason that dealers love leases. They don't do it cause it's charity, they do it cause it makes them money. Lots of it.

sturg33
07-18-2013, 11:32 AM
BTW I assume you got a 3 year lease am I right?

So you'll be spending 9684 dollars for something you won't even own. Or if it's a 4 year 12,912

That's beyond insane to me. Sure if it's BS like taxes you deal with it. But that's an insane amount of money to pay for something that's not actually yours.

I'd also advise you all as someoen who used to do car sales, there's a reason that dealers love leases. They don't do it cause it's charity, they do it cause it makes them money. Lots of it.

3 years.

But if I choose to buy it, I'm paying about $23,700 for it. MSRP is about $23,200. So, yes I'm overpaying if I buy it, but not by a crazy amount.

However, if I hated the car (like I ended up hating the Focus), then I'm out without any negative equity. Also, if I'm making double what I make now in 3 years, I'd want an upgrade anyway. And in the meantime, I'm driving a nice car for a very low monthly payment,which allows me to save money now. So leasing has it's ups and downs. It's definitely not as good financially as buying, but it allows options and better cars at cheaper rates - and in the end, I can still put that $9,600 into the car if I choose to buy it. So it's ultimately up to me.,

gilesfan
07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
You also likely get to save on maintenance costs, etc.

I may lease my next vehicle after I drive this one for 15 years.

sturg33
07-18-2013, 11:38 AM
You also likely get to save on maintenance costs, etc.

I may lease my next vehicle after I drive this one for 15 years.

That's the thing. If you buy and keep a car until it dies, that is a great investment. But if you buy it just to get a new car in 6 years - you basically just leased it minus a few grand in trade-in value - but that trade in value probably doesn't equal the extra money per month you spent in your car paymenets that you would have saved by leasing.

Metaphysicist
07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I know Zito is wrong about 99% of things, but he is right about this. Leases are usually a bad long term investment. Not saying they never make sense, but they are not the best return for the money.

gilesfan
07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I know Zito is wrong about 99% of things, but he is right about this. Leases are usually a bad long term investment. Not saying they never make sense, but they are not the best return for the money.

Without a doubt it's a lesser investment. But, it's for people that want to have a nice, new car for cheap and to be able to not have to worry about maintenance costs. And some one that wants to always drive a nice, reliable car.

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 11:58 AM
3 years.

But if I choose to buy it, I'm paying about $23,700 for it. MSRP is about $23,200. So, yes I'm overpaying if I buy it, but not by a crazy amount.

However, if I hated the car (like I ended up hating the Focus), then I'm out without any negative equity. Also, if I'm making double what I make now in 3 years, I'd want an upgrade anyway. And in the meantime, I'm driving a nice car for a very low monthly payment,which allows me to save money now. So leasing has it's ups and downs. It's definitely not as good financially as buying, but it allows options and better cars at cheaper rates - and in the end, I can still put that $9,600 into the car if I choose to buy it. So it's ultimately up to me.,

No one should ever pay MSRP for a car on a lot, if you do you're a sucker. So in reality you'd be paying about 2-3 grand more. In general buying a new car is dumb. Since they loase about 10% of their value when you drive thme off the lot. I can buy a used 2012 Prius with 10K miles for less than a new one with lesser features.

As far as leasing, you're either paying more for the car than it's worth or stuck in a perpetual car deal Sure you're paying less than you do buying the car, but if you have to buy a new car every 4 or 5 years, you're a crazy person. I bought my care in 2008, for like 9K or so. Paid it off and have driven it for like 60K miles or so (not a heavy driver when I don't have to be) and still have my car. I could sell it for at least half th evalue of it's original purchase and I'd have spent way less money than you have on your new one. Not to mention my car's original MSRP buy was about 6 or 7K higher than your Altima so when I bought my car it was a nicer car (imagine buying a 2010luxury car vs a 2013 midsized sedan)

It's always the best investment when buying a car to 1. Buy used, and 2 pay cash.

Dealers offer you all kinds of incentives to buy or lease new cars for a reason, because they know they're getting you to spend several thousands of extra dollars in not real value.

TURBO
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
I think Zeets has stock in Prius

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Without a doubt it's a lesser investment. But, it's for people that want to have a nice, new car for cheap and to be able to not have to worry about maintenance costs. And some one that wants to always drive a nice, reliable car.

Aka leasing is pretty much worthless.

BTW I can't speak for all car dealerships and companies, but gneerally, you're paying for those maintenance fees in some way or another. Either they're already built into the sticker price, or you have to pay an extra monthly fee. Just my general knowledge of it.

If you need a new car every 3 years then fine, but honestly if you need a new car every 3 years you have money to burn that most people don't, or you have ****ty priorities.

gilesfan
07-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I know several smart businessman that drive lexus/mercedes/whatever for 1-3 years and trade in for a new lease. The dealers here offer free maintenance for 5 years on any new car or lease. They aren't going to keep a car for 10 years anyways, so they just trade up every year or so and keep costs down.

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 12:11 PM
I know several smart businessman that drive lexus/mercedes/whatever for 1-3 years and trade in for a new lease. The dealers here offer free maintenance for 5 years on any new car or lease. They aren't going to keep a car for 10 years anyways, so they just trade up every year or so and keep costs down.

With cars like that, they're usually built into the base cost in something that the average consumer doesn't notice, sometimes by the manufacturer, sometimes at the dealership. For example, when I looked at my car there was some oddly worded charge of about 500 bucks. And they said it was for general maintenance or something like that for 3 years. Now I've had my car for about 60K miles, meaning I've done like 11 oil changes in 5 years. They've all cost me about 30 bucks a pop and I use full synthetic. Dealership was inflating the cost of general maintenance to make a few extra bucks. That's what they do. Nature of the business.

gilesfan
07-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah, that's why you negotiate it.

sturg33
07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
No one should ever pay MSRP for a car on a lot, if you do you're a sucker. So in reality you'd be paying about 2-3 grand more. In general buying a new car is dumb. Since they loase about 10% of their value when you drive thme off the lot. I can buy a used 2012 Prius with 10K miles for less than a new one with lesser features.

As far as leasing, you're either paying more for the car than it's worth or stuck in a perpetual car deal Sure you're paying less than you do buying the car, but if you have to buy a new car every 4 or 5 years, you're a crazy person. I bought my care in 2008, for like 9K or so. Paid it off and have driven it for like 60K miles or so (not a heavy driver when I don't have to be) and still have my car. I could sell it for at least half th evalue of it's original purchase and I'd have spent way less money than you have on your new one. Not to mention my car's original MSRP buy was about 6 or 7K higher than your Altima so when I bought my car it was a nicer car (imagine buying a 2010luxury car vs a 2013 midsized sedan)

It's always the best investment when buying a car to 1. Buy used, and 2 pay cash.

Dealers offer you all kinds of incentives to buy or lease new cars for a reason, because they know they're getting you to spend several thousands of extra dollars in not real value.

I'm not even disagreeing with you... Just merely pointing out that there are benefits to leasing.

My first car I bought was a 98 Maxima when I was 16. Paid $5,200 for it. Drove it for 7 years, but probably put another 3-4K in it for maintence as it was breaking down.

I don't expect to pay a dime for maintentce on this lease. In fact, I already blew a tire and they repaired it for free. I didn't pay a dime in upfront costs. So, let's assume I wanted to buy it new and didn't want to pay upfront.

The car is 23K MSRP, so say we agree to pay 21K with 0% APR for 60 months. OK. That means I'm paying $350 a month - or about $1K a year MORE than I am paying on my lease.

So in 5 years, it's paid for and has 80K miles on it. I can probably sell it for 7-8K. So if I want a new car after 5 years, I basically saved myself 2K buy buying instead of leasing. And that is assuming I don't have any maintence issues during the 5 years. It's only a great investment if I keep the car for several more years - but then you have to factor in major maintenence and repair costs - and the unsatisfaction of driving an older car while new technology is making you really want a newewr model (you figure that 6-10 years from now, even more fuel efficient tech will be out there).

But if I lease, I am only obligated to that 9k, and then have to option of buying that, or upgrading to the new model. So I can be driving a 2016 altima and still having that lower car payment. And after 6 years, we're basically even on our investment. If you choose to keep your car, you come out ahead. But I know me and 6 years from now something amazing will be out there that doesn't even exist, and I know I'm going to want it.

Tapate50
07-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Show of hands, who couldn't see that one coming? Anyone?

I buy em about a year into their use or freshly broken in.

jpx7
07-18-2013, 01:20 PM
The city bus/train costs $2.50 with two free transfers.

Tapate50
07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
The city bus/train costs $2.50 with two free transfers.

Yeah, but you don't own the bus after all those years.

jpx7
07-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Is this a measurements thread or a vehicle thread?

A little column-a, a little column-b.

jpx7
07-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Yeah, but you don't own the bus after all those years.

Tax-payer-funded, so don't I?

ESP47
07-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Just because they're smart businessmen doesn't mean they're making a smart financial decision. They probably make enough money as it is so they can justify spending the extra cash to always have a newer vehicle. It's the guys that are closer to paycheck to paycheck that are screwing themselves.

No one in this society wants to save their money and buy their own things anymore. A new car should only be for people that make a lot of money and can afford it. They have it set up so anyone can buy a new car and sure enough pretty much everyone owns a new car these days. The only problem is that it straps you financially for 5-6 years so most people are paycheck to paycheck because of it. Then once they get close to paying it off or get it paid off, they immediately trade it in for something new and repeat the cycle of stupidity over again. Unless you're well off financially, buying a new car is a suckers move.

Tapate50
07-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Tax-payer-funded, so don't I?

See if they let you sell it.

gilesfan
07-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Just because they're smart businessmen doesn't mean they're making a smart financial decision. They probably make enough money as it is so they can justify spending the extra cash to always have a newer vehicle. It's the guys that are closer to paycheck to paycheck that are screwing themselves.

No one in this society wants to save their money and buy their own things anymore. A new car should only be for people that make a lot of money and can afford it. They have it set up so anyone can buy a new car and sure enough pretty much everyone owns a new car these days. The only problem is that it straps you financially for 5-6 years so most people are paycheck to paycheck because of it. Then once they get close to paying it off or get it paid off, they immediately trade it in for something new and repeat the cycle of stupidity over again. Unless you're well off financially, buying a new car is a suckers move.

That is essentially what I've said in this thread. THough, I agree with sturg or whoever in that it's not as big of a difference as people make it seem.

BlackwaterPark
07-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Paying off a car is the way to go. It is this frame of mind that has America broke.

jpx7
07-18-2013, 03:47 PM
See if they let you sell it.

Well, they let me sell on it — does that count?

BRule
07-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Yes I would. And I was going on a relatively conservative guestimate. Could be saving more.

If I use Edmond's true cost to own calculator they have the Prius C at 34,947, that's factoring in depreciation, insurance, financing, etc. The Tacoma is at 46,864, pretty much the entire difference is an estimated savings of around 10K in fuel with an estimate of 15K miles driven a year. If this is a long term investment and the initial cost is close to the same, why wouldn't you take something that pays out much higher?

By the way the 3 dollars a day thing is how sales people convince someone to buy **** they dont' really need. Hey if you get this GPD unit it's only 15 more bucks a month, 50 cents a day. Not telling you of course that you're spending 900 bucks for something you really don't need, but instead hooking you on the "ppennies a day" problem is those pennies a day quickly add up to several dollars.

What Tacoma were you looking at, one with gold plated rims? Pretty sure you can get a Tacoma for 20-25k

BRule
07-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Paying off a car is the way to go. It is this frame of mind that has America broke.

Not really....As giles and I have said, if you don't want to have a 10 year old car and you can afford a car payment then leasing is the way to go. I understand not everyone can afford or wants a car payment their whole life but for those who don't mind it/can afford it....and want a new car every 3 years, leasing is cheap. Toyota pays for all of your maintenance, I know a few others do as well....so you don't put a dime into the car other than your car payment. You'll never have to worry about spending 3-5k on some major job because your car is out of warranty, or worry about when your car is going to die and you get nothing for it.

And to Zito, the reason dealers like to lease is....it keeps you coming back every 3 years, it's not because they rape you on a lease. Dealers make no money on leases, the reason they do it is, they can count on you being back in 2-3 years...assuming you don't buy out your lease.

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 07:16 PM
What Tacoma were you looking at, one with gold plated rims? Pretty sure you can get a Tacoma for 20-25k

That's true cost to own which are the costs associated with the car after purchase. Like insurance, maintenance, depreciation and gas. Think I made that pretty obvious in the post.

BlackwaterPark
07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Not really....As giles and I have said, if you don't want to have a 10 year old car and you can afford a car payment then leasing is the way to go. I understand not everyone can afford or wants a car payment their whole life but for those who don't mind it/can afford it....and want a new car every 3 years, leasing is cheap. Toyota pays for all of your maintenance, I know a few others do as well....so you don't put a dime into the car other than your car payment. You'll never have to worry about spending 3-5k on some major job because your car is out of warranty, or worry about when your car is going to die and you get nothing for it.

And to Zito, the reason dealers like to lease is....it keeps you coming back every 3 years, it's not because they rape you on a lease. Dealers make no money on leases, the reason they do it is, they can count on you being back in 2-3 years...assuming you don't buy out your lease.

The average car payment is $450 a month. If from age 20-60 you lived car payment free, and invested that $450 a month, you could retire with 4.5 million dollars....Just because you can afford a payment, doesnt mean you should buy something. It is this mindset, like I said, that causes 75% of Americans to live paycheck to paycheck.

GMAJAH25
07-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Car prices are ridiculous. Car dealerships are assholes.

They want me to trade my car in for 11k....but they are selling the same car with higher mileage for 15-17k...

I asked some of those assholes why there was such a large gap in the price they pay for the car and the price they sell it for. I was told it was for inspections and repairs and Im paying for piece of mind. They only make about 1k on used cars.

LMAO and die...please.

BRule
07-18-2013, 07:54 PM
The average car payment is $450 a month. If from age 20-60 you lived car payment free, and invested that $450 a month, you could retire with 4.5 million dollars....Just because you can afford a payment, doesnt mean you should buy something. It is this mindset, like I said, that causes 75% of Americans to live paycheck to paycheck.

And a lease payment on a sedan is 200-250$ a month, saving 200$ a month or more...there you go, invest your heart out.

BRule
07-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Car prices are ridiculous. Car dealerships are assholes.

They want me to trade my car in for 11k....but they are selling the same car with higher mileage for 15-17k...

I asked some of those assholes why there was such a large gap in the price they pay for the car and the price they sell it for. I was told it was for inspections and repairs and Im paying for piece of mind. They only make about 1k on used cars.

LMAO and die...please.

Of course dealers are assholes, of course they are going to buy your trade for 10k and sell it for 14. It's what they do

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 08:49 PM

BUAHAHAHAHA

No dealers love leases cause you pay more money than the car is worth, the hide fees into their cost and they keep you on perpetual purchase. Seriously there's a reason they love leases and it's not cause they love selling used cars.

Tapate50
07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
A car is a heavily depreciating asset. I'm not a fan of paying for something at 30 outright then four years later its only worth 10.

BRule
07-18-2013, 09:13 PM
BUAHAHAHAHA

No dealers love leases cause you pay more money than the car is worth, the hide fees into their cost and they keep you on perpetual purchase. Seriously there's a reason they love leases and it's not cause they love selling used cars.

So my friends family who has owned a large dealership for 50 years has no idea what they do and don't make money on?

Interesting

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 09:17 PM
So my friends family who has owned a large dealership for 50 years has no idea what they do and don't make money on?

Interesting

They're either exaggerating or doing it wrong. The whole purpose of a lease is to get someone to pay MSRP or higher with proper depreciation.

BRule
07-18-2013, 09:24 PM
They're either exaggerating or doing it wrong. The whole purpose of a lease is to get someone to pay MSRP or higher with proper depreciation.

Didn't you just say NO ONE pays MSRP? Now people are paying MSRP OR MORE??

BRule
07-18-2013, 09:35 PM
And the way they make money is a few ways:

Selling you that BS that everyone gets offered, alarm, remote start, etc

When you bring your lease back, assuming your buyout is 15k, they sell it for 18-19

And then when you lease again.

Dealerships make all their money on used cars, financed cars and service....leasing is last on the list

Carp
07-18-2013, 10:29 PM
And a lease payment on a sedan is 200-250$ a month, saving 200$ a month or more...there you go, invest your heart out.

His logic is flawed, as obviously you are not going to find 1 car to last you 40 yrs so you'll have to buy at least 2-3 more cars during this span. But even so, if you're saving 200 bucks a month on a lease, after 5 yrs, I'll own my car outright, and you'll still be rolling 200-250 bucks a month until you die. So it'll even out. Over time. The difference is, my truck will still be worth 5,000 or more after it's 10 yrs old. And I can put that towards a trade in on a new/newer car and make my monthly payments close to the same as your lease payment.0

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Didn't you just say NO ONE pays MSRP? Now people are paying MSRP OR MORE??

I was talking about when they buy a car you don't pay MSRP when you lease you often spend more.

zitothebrave
07-18-2013, 10:57 PM
And the way they make money is a few ways:

Selling you that BS that everyone gets offered, alarm, remote start, etc

When you bring your lease back, assuming your buyout is 15k, they sell it for 18-19

And then when you lease again.

Dealerships make all their money on used cars, financed cars and service....leasing is last on the list

Leasing is financing.

ESP47
07-19-2013, 12:22 AM

What the hell kind of investment gets you $4.5 million on like $200,000 some odd thousand dollars?

ESP47
07-19-2013, 12:34 AM
His logic is flawed, as obviously you are not going to find 1 car to last you 40 yrs so you'll have to buy at least 2-3 more cars during this span. But even so, if you're saving 200 bucks a month on a lease, after 5 yrs, I'll own my car outright, and you'll still be rolling 200-250 bucks a month until you die. So it'll even out. Over time. The difference is, my truck will still be worth 5,000 or more after it's 10 yrs old. And I can put that towards a trade in on a new/newer car and make my monthly payments close to the same as your lease payment.0

You're pretty much going to tie with him unless you keep up with this exact plan for 15-20 years. You'll save tens of thousands by saving your money, then buying a vehicle outright that has depreciated by 2/3rds. After that it's just maintenance and that is cheap. Even if the transmission goes out, you would have paid the same amount with just a few months of car payments anyway. You're going to come out ahead no matter what.

The question is, can you.... as a white American, actually save your money and not spend it or finance it? Can you live without having something shiny and new? The answer is probably no because you're already talking about trading in the vehicle you'd have already paid off. Besides why trade it in when you can get a couple more grand by selling it privately?

Metaphysicist
07-19-2013, 03:05 AM
What the hell kind of investment gets you $4.5 million on like $200,000 some odd thousand dollars?

Long term investment?

Carp
07-19-2013, 04:28 AM
You're pretty much going to tie with him unless you keep up with this exact plan for 15-20 years. You'll save tens of thousands by saving your money, then buying a vehicle outright that has depreciated by 2/3rds. After that it's just maintenance and that is cheap. Even if the transmission goes out, you would have paid the same amount with just a few months of car payments anyway. You're going to come out ahead no matter what.

The question is, can you.... as a white American, actually save your money and not spend it or finance it? Can you live without having something shiny and new? The answer is probably no because you're already talking about trading in the vehicle you'd have already paid off. Besides why trade it in when you can get a couple more grand by selling it privately?

I was just using that hypothetically. And if I keep my vehicile 10 yrs then I would be saving quite a bit of money. My truck will be paid off in 1.5 yrs. And it's still worth around 8-9 grand right now.

BlackwaterPark
07-19-2013, 05:55 AM

Yep, im sure you have figured out the big secret in life, but every money publication agrees that leasing a vehicle is the most expensive form of ownership. Why do you think they advertise for leases so much?

BlackwaterPark
07-19-2013, 05:56 AM

A mutual fund earning 10-12% and compound interest my friend...

Metaphysicist
07-19-2013, 06:37 AM
A mutual fund earning 10-12% and compound interest my friend...

Yeah, good luck finding that return reliably for 40 years.

BlackwaterPark
07-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Yeah, good luck finding that return reliably for 40 years.

And darn, if they only earn 8% you will still be a millionaire...

Metaphysicist
07-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Ok, but 8% is a good outcome, not a fallback.

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Ok, but 8% is a good outcome, not a fallback.

Not if you are investing in Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville Finance Plans.

zitothebrave
07-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Yep, im sure you have figured out the big secret in life, but every money publication agrees that leasing a vehicle is the most expensive form of ownership. Why do you think they advertise for leases so much?

Cause car dealerships are so charitable and don't make any money off leases

zitothebrave
07-19-2013, 08:21 AM

That's the key. Getting a car that someone else leased is making money off a sucker. My car was a leased vehicle, mygirlfriend's car was a leased vehicle, so on so forth.

ESP47
07-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Long term investment?

Like what? Because you seem to disagree with BlackwaterPark's investment numbers.

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Blackwater Park has a man crush on Dave Ramsey. That just needs to be said in full disclosure.

sturg33
07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
I really don't think ANYONE is arguing that leasing is a better financial investment than buying. But it is cheaper in upfront/short term costs, it allows for a nicer/more reliable vehicle, it allows upgrades every few years if you wish, and it still allows for ownership of the vehicle (a bit of an overpay - but still an option). It's also a lot more convenient.

Call me spoiled or a dumb American or whatever, but for something I spend hours in every day of my life, I want it to be something I'm happy in.

BRule
07-19-2013, 09:32 AM
^^^^^^^ that

The Chosen One
07-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Brule just loves leasing because it's a common practice among his people.:cooter:

BRule
07-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Brule just loves leasing because it's a common practice among his people.:cooter:

No, I just don't like mustard so I piss away my extra $$$

jpx7
07-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Mustard farms.

yeezus
07-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Leases are pushed hard these days because it's obviously in the dealerships favor.
I'm totally on board with zito here. When I graduate and start making real money, I'll buy a used car that's still relatively young/low on miles. I've been driving around in a '93 Buick Park Avenue for a year and a half so I'll be happy with anything newer.

ESP47
07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
I really don't think ANYONE is arguing that leasing is a better financial investment than buying. But it is cheaper in upfront/short term costs, it allows for a nicer/more reliable vehicle, it allows upgrades every few years if you wish, and it still allows for ownership of the vehicle (a bit of an overpay - but still an option). It's also a lot more convenient.

Call me spoiled or a dumb American or whatever, but for something I spend hours in every day of my life, I want it to be something I'm happy in.

Spending money on something that has cheaper upfront/short term costs only leads to losing more money in the long run. That's half the reason why most of America is in debt and why financially savvy people are against it. If you can't afford it, then you don't deserve a nicer/more reliable vehicle, you don't deserve upgrades every few years and you're kicking yourself in the ass by over paying to own that vehicle after you've already dropped a bunch of money into it. People that make $30k a year think they should be allowed to own the same kind of vehicle someone making $70k owns. It's that kind of thinking that gets people enslaved into debt for half their lives. Yeah people want to be happy in their new comfortable vehicle, but at what cost? Their ride to work is comfortable but now they have to stress over having credit card debt and pinching pennies just to stay afloat each month.

People think they're too good to own a 10+ year old car these days and financing has allowed them to get that new car while mortgaging part of their future. No one wants to bite the bullet and drive that ****ty 1998 Cavalier around for 5 years. Little do they know that they could have saved enough money to buy a real nice newer used car in that time. Then while driving that newer used car they could save up enough money for a down payment on a house. Instead, they buy the new car when they can't afford it and then they can't save anything. Once that new car is paid off, it's not so new anymore and now they go out and get themselves back into the same situation.

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 12:54 PM
What if people just don't want to throw 30k into something that depreciates so quickly?

sturg33
07-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Spending money on something that has cheaper upfront/short term costs only leads to losing more money in the long run. That's half the reason why most of America is in debt and why financially savvy people are against it. If you can't afford it, then you don't deserve a nicer/more reliable vehicle, you don't deserve upgrades every few years and you're kicking yourself in the ass by over paying to own that vehicle after you've already dropped a bunch of money into it. People that make $30k a year think they should be allowed to own the same kind of vehicle someone making $70k owns. It's that kind of thinking that gets people enslaved into debt for half their lives. Yeah people want to be happy in their new comfortable vehicle, but at what cost? Their ride to work is comfortable but now they have to stress over having credit card debt and pinching pennies just to stay afloat each month.

People think they're too good to own a 10+ year old car these days and financing has allowed them to get that new car while mortgaging part of their future. No one wants to bite the bullet and drive that ****ty 1998 Cavalier around for 5 years. Little do they know that they could have saved enough money to buy a real nice newer used car in that time. Then while driving that newer used car they could save up enough money for a down payment on a house. Instead, they buy the new car when they can't afford it and then they can't save anything. Once that new car is paid off, it's not so new anymore and now they go out and get themselves back into the same situation.

I'm doing just fine financially. Thanks

BRule
07-19-2013, 01:07 PM

No, we are both poor

sturg33
07-19-2013, 01:10 PM
No, we are both poor

It's funny because when I bought my car, I put myself $17K in debt. When I leased, I put myself in much less debt

Also, I came out of school with $30K in college loans debt. 2 years later, I have that number down to $7K. But I'm stupid and lazy bc I want to be comfortable in ym car everyday of my life. I suppose I should also find a box to live in as well.

BRule
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
It's funny because when I bought my car, I put myself $17K in debt. When I leased, I put myself in much less debt

Also, I came out of school with $30K in college loans debt. 2 years later, I have that number down to $7K. But I'm stupid and lazy bc I want to be comfortable in ym car everyday of my life. I suppose I should also find a box to live in as well.

Yup....I put nothing down and my lease is 100$ less than my financed car, much nicer, more equipment, etc, etc.....

Clearly I should've put 10k down and had a 400$ car payment and blew threw my savings just so "say" I "own" my car and then trade it back in, in 5 years when I get tired of it.

But I realize now that it's that thinking that has made me REALLY poor.

The Chosen One
07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Yup....I put nothing down and my lease is 100$ less than my financed car, much nicer, more equipment, etc, etc.....

Clearly I should've put 10k down and had a 400$ car payment and blew threw my savings just so "say" I "own" my car and then trade it back in, in 5 years when I get tired of it.

Just thought that was because you're African-American.

zitothebrave
07-19-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm pretty sure ESP didn't say that at all. I'm pretty sure he made the same point that most sound economists make. Something the depreciates in value as steeply as a car you shouldn't pay interest on.

BRule
07-19-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty sure ESP didn't say that at all. I'm pretty sure he made the same point that most sound economists make. Something the depreciates in value as steeply as a car you shouldn't pay interest on.

Wasn't directed at you

zitothebrave
07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Wasn't directed at you

Everything is directed at me. I'm the soul of the internet,

The Chosen One
07-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Wasn't directed at you

U scared of Zeets bro?

BRule
07-19-2013, 01:31 PM
U scared of Zeets bro?

With a mind like his, how can you not be?

Metaphysicist
07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Like what? Because you seem to disagree with BlackwaterPark's investment numbers.

His numbers are exaggerated, but the idea is not wrong. If you start investing early, the compound interest will set you up pretty well in the long haul.

Metaphysicist
07-19-2013, 01:55 PM

As stated in this thread, your financial plan depends on getting much richer in the near future. I applaud your confidence, but I have my doubts as to your planning skills.

zitothebrave
07-19-2013, 01:56 PM
As stated in this thread, your financial plan depends on getting much richer in the near future. I applaud your confidence, but I have my doubts as to your planning skills.

Oh snap!

The gauntlet hath been thrown.

sturg33
07-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Well - I'm certainly not rich today, but I'm well over the median income in the most affluent county in the US. Still have lots of work to do though! Maybe I should stop spending so much time on braves message boards

The Chosen One
07-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Perhaps I should change the thread title on krgrecw's behalf to "Dudes, I Just Need a Car."

ESP47
07-19-2013, 03:07 PM

That's great but where did I mention your name in that post?

When did anyone call you stupid or lazy?

You and your boy BRule might not be struggling financially, but you both most certainly aren't getting the point that me and Zito are trying to make here. No one is saying buying a brand new vehicle is better than leasing. Both are bad investments. Were saying buy a used vehicle when you have the money. $17k for a used vehicle is another bad purchase whether you have cash or not because the vehicle is most likely still on a steep depreciation unless it's a classic.

I can't fault you for wanting to be comfortable in your vehicle, but apparently in your world vehicles only became comfortable in the last couple years....and they have to cost so much that you're forced to lease them.

You probably should find a box to live in. I'd be willing to bet the bum living in a box on the corner probably has more money than you because he isn't in debt. He has zero money while you have negative money.

sturg33
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
That's great but where did I mention your name in that post?

When did anyone call you stupid or lazy?

You and your boy BRule might not be struggling financially, but you both most certainly aren't getting the point that me and Zito are trying to make here. No one is saying buying a brand new vehicle is better than leasing. Both are bad investments. Were saying buy a used vehicle when you have the money. $17k for a used vehicle is another bad purchase whether you have cash or not because the vehicle is most likely still on a steep depreciation unless it's a classic.

I can't fault you for wanting to be comfortable in your vehicle, but apparently in your world vehicles only became comfortable in the last couple years....and they have to cost so much that you're forced to lease them.

You probably should find a box to live in. I'd be willing to bet the bum living in a box on the corner probably has more money than you because he isn't in debt. He has zero money while you have negative money.

Well considering I have more money saved than my car obligation and student loan obligation, you are incorrect. But I make more money in the stock market by investing tha tmoney than I would save by paying off the loans.

And I don't know if you have read what I have written or not - but I have flat out said that buying is smarter financially than leasing if you intend to keep the vehicle for many many years. I don't intend to do that so ......

BRule
07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
And I don't know if you have read what I have written or not - but I have flat out said that buying is smarter financially than leasing if you intend to keep the vehicle for many many years. I don't intend to do that so ......

:emot-siren.gif.17: :emot-siren.gif.17: :emot-siren.gif.17:

ESP47
07-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Live in debt, gamble on the stock market and lease a new car every few years. Sounds like you have it all figured out. I bid you good day!

BlackwaterPark
07-19-2013, 05:13 PM
What if people just don't want to throw 30k into something that depreciates so quickly?

The smart move is buying a 2-3 year old really nice car, cash. My dad just bought a 2003 Lexus LS430 with 50k miles on it for 12k. Car is pristine, and was 70k brand new. He bought it cash, and will be able to drive it most likely 4-5 years with no problem.

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 05:18 PM
That was sort of rhetorical but thanks. Just snagged the wife a nice deal on a gmc. Took some leg work, and a nicely executed dealer error and I am very happy.

Used car financing is as cheap as I've ever seen it. Right now, money is CHEAP!

yeezus
07-19-2013, 05:28 PM
The smart move is buying a 2-3 year old really nice car, cash. My dad just bought a 2003 Lexus LS430 with 50k miles on it for 12k. Car is pristine, and was 70k brand new. He bought it cash, and will be able to drive it most likely 4-5 years with no problem.

To be fair that's insanely cheap for a Lexus with 50K on it, 2003 or not.

Dalyn
07-19-2013, 05:28 PM
I'll see what I can do.

sturg33
07-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Live in debt, gamble on the stock market and lease a new car every few years. Sounds like you have it all figured out. I bid you good day!

Is it considered living in debt if I have no trouble paying my loans and am have saved more money than I owe in total?

So is your advice that I pull all my money out of the market (currently yielding >20%), pay off all of my debt in full (leaving me with only a little of savings), and buy a car?

gilesfan
07-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Is it considered living in debt if I have no trouble paying my loans and am have saved more money than I owe in total?

So is your advice that I pull all my money out of the market (currently yielding >20%), pay off all of my debt in full (leaving me with only a little of savings), and buy a car?

Debt is not evil.

yeezus
07-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Debt is not evil.

did he say it was?

ESP47
07-19-2013, 11:06 PM

I said good day!

BlackwaterPark
07-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Yes....if you have debt, you are living in debt....I feel it is all about eliminating risk in life if something were to occur. Due to this, I am working on becoming debt free asap, and that will be next summer. I have $1000 in savings and the rest of my money went to debt. When we are debt free except the house next summer, we will then have free'd up $2000 a month we were sending to bills. At $2000 a month, we can catch up on any savings/retirement that we halted for the year and a half it took to become debt free very quickly. When following this plan, and having 3-6 months of expenses in a money market account, you will truly have financial peace and a very very low risk

sturg33
07-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Yes....if you have debt, you are living in debt....I feel it is all about eliminating risk in life if something were to occur. Due to this, I am working on becoming debt free asap, and that will be next summer. I have $1000 in savings and the rest of my money went to debt. When we are debt free except the house next summer, we will then have free'd up $2000 a month we were sending to bills. At $2000 a month, we can catch up on any savings/retirement that we halted for the year and a half it took to become debt free very quickly. When following this plan, and having 3-6 months of expenses in a money market account, you will truly have financial peace and a very very low risk

And if you lose your job you are screwed...

I have about twice as much saved up as I am in debt. So I don't consider myself in debt at all.

BlackwaterPark
07-20-2013, 01:22 PM
And if you lose your job you are screwed...

I have about twice as much saved up as I am in debt. So I don't consider myself in debt at all.

thats what the 3-6 months of expenses are for....if you are debt free except the house, and have 3-6 months, the risk a d worry are very very reduced. By eliminating those debt payments, it wouldn't take you long to replenish your savings

i just dont understand why you would stay in debt if you had the means to not be in debt....

yeezus
07-20-2013, 01:28 PM
thats what the 3-6 months of expenses are for....if you are debt free except the house, and have 3-6 months, the risk a d worry are very very reduced. By eliminating those debt payments, it wouldn't take you long to replenish your savings

i just dont understand why you would stay in debt if you had the means to not be in debt....

I know that as far as school loans go, my friend has the means to pay off a whole bunch of his. But it doesn't really benefit him in any way to do so. In fact, it benefits him more to have the debt, make the payments, and raise his credit score than it does to pay more than he has to.

sturg33
07-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Bc I'm making more money on investing my savings than I save by paying off debts.

ESP47
07-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I know that as far as school loans go, my friend has the means to pay off a whole bunch of his. But it doesn't really benefit him in any way to do so. In fact, it benefits him more to have the debt, make the payments, and raise his credit score than it does to pay more than he has to.

One of the biggest misconceptions is thinking you need to carry debt to raise your credit score. Using credit and then paying it off before accruing interest is just as effective, if not more so than carrying a balance and paying it off little by little. Your friend is essentially paying for his credit score via interest payments, when all he has to do is pay his debt off and then use a credit card for normal purchases and pay it off completely at the end of every month.

gilesfan
07-20-2013, 11:03 PM
did he say it was?

No. I was agreeing with him

gilesfan
07-20-2013, 11:14 PM

The best way to guard against something happening is to have money set aside, not by putting it al to mortgages, student loans, etc. I guarantee you can make more in interest on an investment than the interest rate you pay on your mortgage or student loan

1k in savings,I have no clue how anyone can live off that we're something to happen (lose job) or your AC goes out. I don't have a ton of debt (home, small student loan). I see no reason to pay down my debt (even if I were to buy car). I have about a years worth of mortgage payments in savings. Another 4-5 years worth in retirement account. I also have a couple in an online brokerage I playground with for fun.

If I would have put all my money toward debt instead of Savings/retirement, it would take me several years to match what I have saved right now.

BlackwaterPark
07-21-2013, 08:21 AM
The best way to guard against something happening is to have money set aside, not by putting it al to mortgages, student loans, etc. I guarantee you can make more in interest on an investment than the interest rate you pay on your mortgage or student loan

1k in savings,I have no clue how anyone can live off that we're something to happen (lose job) or your AC goes out. I don't have a ton of debt (home, small student loan). I see no reason to pay down my debt (even if I were to buy car). I have about a years worth of mortgage payments in savings. Another 4-5 years worth in retirement account. I also have a couple in an online brokerage I playground with for fun.

If I would have put all my money toward debt instead of Savings/retirement, it would take me several years to match what I have saved right now.

Thats fine dude. Keep living in debt, I know people thinking paying off debt is weird, because you have been lead to believe its ok to have it. Honestly, I dont have much fear at all in losing my job, nor does my fiance. Its not like all I have is 1k. If something happened, I am snowballing 1500 a month to my lowest payment right now. I could easily throw my 1k, and pay minimums on those bills and have 2.5 k available in a month. I also have around 40k in retirement, but have cut down funding to it dramatically to become debt free. I have a plan for financial peace and hope that I know will work.

DjGrizz
07-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I just bought a nissan altima with dubs snd I love it

Krgrecw
07-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Torn between the cheap tacoma and a scion Xb. Xb's getting good reviews for tall people. Anyone have one or ever ridden in one?

BlackwaterPark
07-29-2013, 06:30 AM
XB's are ok, Tacoma's are OK. I did a ton of research and test driving and chose the Ridgeline over the Tacoma, and LOVE it.

Krgrecw
07-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Yeah I like the Ridgeline but at $12,000 more than Tacoma is out of my price range

gilesfan
07-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Thats fine dude. Keep living in debt, I know people thinking paying off debt is weird, because you have been lead to believe its ok to have it. Honestly, I dont have much fear at all in losing my job, nor does my fiance. Its not like all I have is 1k. If something happened, I am snowballing 1500 a month to my lowest payment right now. I could easily throw my 1k, and pay minimums on those bills and have 2.5 k available in a month. I also have around 40k in retirement, but have cut down funding to it dramatically to become debt free. I have a plan for financial peace and hope that I know will work.

Im not living in debt. How am I living in debt? I have more money in my accounts than I owe, even including my home.

BlackwaterPark
07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah I like the Ridgeline but at $12,000 more than Tacoma is out of my price range

Wow really? Usually they are both about the same from what I saw

zitothebrave
07-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Here's a list of cars for big and tall

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-best-cars-for-tall-drivers-for-2013.html

The Optima, Altima, and Sonata are all not to far from your price range, with your trade (which depending on features and stuff you shoudl get at probably 3K for) and some bartering.