PDA

View Full Version : David Price

CrimsonCowboy
06-18-2014, 05:32 PM
I don't have access to ESPN Insider, but I noticed a little something from Jim Bowden's Twitter. He had a piece about David Price. Again, I don't have access to the entire article, but I did see this:

The most interesting aspect of a potential deal is that there aren't as many contending teams looking for a top-of-the-rotation starter as in the past. For example, in the National League, teams such as the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Giants, Dodgers and Nationals all have enough pitching at the top that they have no reason to empty their farm system to acquire Price. In fact, I would argue the Braves (who, by the way, have the best starting pitcher ERA in the league) are the only NL team likely to inquire about Price.

So, should the Braves inquire about David Price?

50PoundHead
06-18-2014, 05:42 PM
I would say no.

depley
06-18-2014, 05:45 PM
I am torn, while I see the need for someone other than Teheran to fill the top of the rotation I am afraid of what we would have to give up. IF we could trade Santana and Harang then I would be all for it, within reason. We also need to have Alex Wood back in the rotation, I would be real happy to see a rotation of Price Teheran Wood Floyd and Minor. Then use the other 2 pitchers in trade to bolster the pen and we would be set for a run. Would Tampa be interested in having BJ Upton back lol

BremanFan88
06-18-2014, 05:47 PM
It would probably destroy our farm system for a few years though. Only way I'd make a trade for Price is if we can lock him up.

zitothebrave
06-18-2014, 05:47 PM
WE don't have the pieces to make that move without putting Tron and Wood in there. So no.

Millwood1Hitter
06-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Only if Wren can drug the entire Rays front office for about a week and convince them that their struggles are due to the absence of BJ Upton and do a straight up deal BJ for Price. And if the drugs work well enough I'd also do a Johnson for Longoria swap and have them throw Grant Balfour in on the deal as well.

stpeteirish
06-18-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't have access to ESPN Insider, but I noticed a little something from Jim Bowden's Twitter. He had a piece about David Price. Again, I don't have access to the entire article, but I did see this:

The most interesting aspect of a potential deal is that there aren't as many contending teams looking for a top-of-the-rotation starter as in the past. For example, in the National League, teams such as the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Giants, Dodgers and Nationals all have enough pitching at the top that they have no reason to empty their farm system to acquire Price. In fact, I would argue the Braves (who, by the way, have the best starting pitcher ERA in the league) are the only NL team likely to inquire about Price.

But is our ERA still the best after that beauty today?

stpeteirish
06-18-2014, 06:40 PM
The guy on the Rays I'd like to get is Zobrist, more so even than Price. Our rotation will be OK if Wood performs well and Santana gets his act together. Both of these things are reasonably possible.

Zobrist would give us someone to play instead of CJ or BJ. Man, could we use that. Neither of those guys are going to get any better than they have been, IMO.

They want prospects, not rentals, however so we would have to pony up.

Hawk
06-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Bowden's suggestion:

The trade: Alex Wood, Lucas Sims and a pitching prospect for Price.

I wouldn't do that, but it's a fair deal.

Gary82
06-18-2014, 06:53 PM

Can he he play 3B or CF?

Bravesfan205
06-18-2014, 08:18 PM
I think we should go for it. As long as we don't give up Wood, Teheran, or any of our good young position players. I mean it could deplete our system but I think we have so many good young players in the majors already that we don't need a deep system right now. We are set at 6 of the 8 positions for the next 3 years at least(although that includes BJ and CJ). Maybe Bethancourt and Sims and another low level prospect.
It would give us a legit Ace and a solid rotation for the rest of the year of Price, Teheran, Minor, Santana, and Wood or Floyd.

The Chosen One
06-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Price isn't going to score runs for us.

Price isn't going to improve our bunting or lack of clutch hitting.

jsebe10
06-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Bowden's suggestion:

Fair my left nut...

Only thing making that deal fair is if Price is willing to extend...No rentals...We should have learned our lesson on the Tex & Wainright deals.

Bravesfan205
06-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Price isn't going to score runs for us.

Price isn't going to improve our bunting or lack of clutch hitting.

While I agree with you that we really need more on offense how would you suggest we do it. We have so many players underachieving at the plate right now that you would except them to break out at sometime. Who do we replace on offense to get better? We couldn't get rid of BJ and maybe we could trade Johnson but who would we get that would be a big enough improvement to help us out?

NinersSBChamps
06-18-2014, 10:52 PM
I would love to add David Price to this rotation. However the likely cost he would net Tampa probably exceeds what we should give up for him. Besides our offensive is the most worrisome aspect of the team and adding a stud pitcher doesn't fix that.

zbhargrove
06-19-2014, 03:16 PM
The guy on the Rays I'd like to get is Zobrist, more so even than Price. Our rotation will be OK if Wood performs well and Santana gets his act together. Both of these things are reasonably possible.

Zobrist would give us someone to play instead of CJ or BJ. Man, could we use that. Neither of those guys are going to get any better than they have been, IMO.

They want prospects, not rentals, however so we would have to pony up.

I feel like Zobrist is just going to end up being another Uggla once he gets to a certain age (and younger than you'd expect it to be)

tomahawkchop10
06-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Bowden's suggestion:

Replace wood with Bethancourt and maybe(I'm not as high on Bethancourt as many.)

zitothebrave
06-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Replace wood with Bethancourt and maybe(I'm not as high on Bethancourt as many.)

Replace Wood with Bethancourt and the Rays hang up.

Maybe we could replace Wood and prospect with Gattis, but I still wouldn't do it.

zitothebrave
06-19-2014, 03:47 PM
I feel like Zobrist is just going to end up being another Uggla once he gets to a certain age (and younger than you'd expect it to be)

He will but with much better defense. 2B don't age well.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Bowden's suggestion:

I still think you make a deal for Price if you can WITHOUT including Wood.

Sims, Bethancourt, and Peraza? I'm in. Sims, Peraza/Bethancourt, and a better "throw-in" pitching prospect than Bowden's probably thinking? I'm in.

In his scenario, Bowden's proposal is likely Wood, Sims, and probably Northcraft as the third player. If Friedman will take Sims and Mauricio Cabrera with whichever one of Peraza or Bethancourt he prefers, I'd make the deal. If it takes both Peraza and Bethancourt to make it work for Friedman I'd even consider it. You improve the team wherever you can - we're not going to be able to upgrade CF or 3B given what's going to be available on the market this year. The future downgrade from Peraza to La Stella and Bethancourt to a veteran defense-first backup Catcher is worth it.

As long as you get to keep Wood, you're dealing from a position of strength while upgrading whatever area you can. Assuming you don't believe La Stella's going to turn into a pumpkin, make the rotation as bulletproof as possible and make a run. A playoff rotation of Price, Teheran, Minor, and Floyd or Wood stacks up against any rotation in the game.

Trade Santana to the Yankees to get them to eat more of Uggla's money - would give you more to play with in an attempt to extend Price. Santana and half of what we owe Uggla for Betances or J. R. Murphy and Aaron Judge would be one idea.

There's just no way I think you can include Wood without a favorable extension signed - say 5/$100 million. As long as you keep Wood, the extension isn't completely necessary - even if you keep Price until the end of his current deal and let him go when he turns down the QO, you're going to be able to get a Sims-level replacement with the draft pick you get when he signs elsewhere. For those that think Sims is so untouchable, please take your Bill Shanks Braves' Colored Glasses off when you look at his stats and watch him pitch - he's struggling far more against High-A competition than Teheran, Minor, or Wood EVER did in their time in the minors (at any level). If you project him as anything better than a potential #3 when he reaches this level you must be Bill.

Scream about the Teixeira trade until you're blue in the face - the pieces we gave up to get him wouldn't have been impactful as Braves. Salty was blocked (and still would be). Andrus was blocked (and I'd personally rather have Simba today). Harrison was no better than either Minor or Wood, and is now likely done (with Uggla-type dollars owed him). Feliz flamed out as a starter (and would have blocked Kimbrel - which would you rather have in the 9th inning???). Beau Jones was just another Gilmartin/Northcraft/insert AAAA pitcher name here.

zitothebrave
06-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Well that's an interesting take on the Tex trade. imagining we still had those players instead. The problem with the Tex trade was we emptied our farm and we weren't that good. Let's say we traded Salty and Escobar for some propsects or a starter because they were MLB ready. Then we could have traded ANdrus when Simmons was ready and gotten a prospect haul for thme.

The Tex trade has to be looked at the value of what happened then, we traded 3 A prospects a B/C prospect and a throw in. If we kept those A prospects they could have been used in another trade.

thethe
06-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Trading peraza would a huge mistake. Do the Braves have the money right now considering the Heyward/Upton situations to extend PRice?

cajunrevenge
06-19-2014, 04:37 PM
The thing about Price is he costs a lot in $. He is good but he isn't 15 mill a year better than Wood or Gattis. If they are going to hold out for a current mlb player as good as Wood or Gattis then Price will stay put.

Also if we got Zobrist we would not extend him. Just play thru 2015 then adios.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Well that's an interesting take on the Tex trade. imagining we still had those players instead. The problem with the Tex trade was we emptied our farm and we weren't that good. Let's say we traded Salty and Escobar for some propsects or a starter because they were MLB ready. Then we could have traded ANdrus when Simmons was ready and gotten a prospect haul for thme.

The Tex trade has to be looked at the value of what happened then, we traded 3 A prospects a B/C prospect and a throw in. If we kept those A prospects they could have been used in another trade.

Only by fans on message boards and at the bar.

Tell me my take on any of those guys we traded is wrong. I'll be happy to admit I am, but you and I both know I'm not.

I love prospects as much as anyone, but they don't win Championships.

thethe
06-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Only by fans on message boards and at the bar.

Tell me my take on any of those guys we traded is wrong. I'll be happy to admit I am, but you and I both know I'm not.

I love prospects as much as anyone, but they don't win Championships.

This is absurd. They help.

Free Agents don't win championships either!

clvclv
06-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Trading peraza would a huge mistake. Do the Braves have the money right now considering the Heyward/Upton situations to extend PRice?

If you believe La Stella could turn into a pumpkin (which I know you don't).

Would La Stella be a downgrade from a future Peraza? Probably. The question is, is that downgrade more than the upgrade from Santana to Price at the top of your rotation and upgrade from Harang to Wood at the bottom of it for the rest of this season and all of next? I don't think so personally.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 04:48 PM
The thing about Price is he costs a lot in $. He is good but he isn't 15 mill a year better than Wood or Gattis. If they are going to hold out for a current mlb player as good as Wood or Gattis then Price will stay put.

Also if we got Zobrist we would not extend him. Just play thru 2015 then adios.

Agreed. Without a signed extension at significantly below market value, there's no way I'd trade either of them in ANY package.

FWIW, I think Gattis is the most "untouchable" asset that's not already signed long-term at this point.

thethe
06-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Are the Braves going to spend 130 million on payroll? When is price going to have his inevitable Tommy John surgery?

Peraza is about as blue chip of a prospect as it gets. The Braves are going to need cheap players real soon. Kid is 19 and earned a promotion to AA. Sorry, but there is no way I am trading him. This kid is a better prospect than Andrus was.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 04:57 PM
This is absurd. They help.

Free Agents don't win championships either!

No player I mentioned has any chance of being a piece that helps win a Championship in 2014 or 2015, and maybe even 2016. Definitely not Sims or Cabrera. Peraza will be left in the minors until he so absolutely outperforms La Stella that you have to sell low on TLS to get him in the lineup. Bethancourt won't be the everyday Catcher in Atlanta before 2016 at the earliest.

When will they help more than getting you a top of the rotation Pitcher in return helps you for the next two years? At that point one of Heyward or J-Up is likely gone, and last I checked none of those guys is a potential replacement for either of them.

I just think it's always funny that everyone screams - "We're so close if we just had that "Ace". Here's your chance to get him by dealing pieces that won't negatively impact your MLB team for the next three years, but you'd rather HOPE those guys eventually turn out to be better than what we've already got.

Fredi Gonzalez
06-19-2014, 05:02 PM
The plan is to move La Stella to left after 2015 and Peraza to take over 2b.

thethe
06-19-2014, 05:03 PM
You have to develop aces and not trade for them. Especially not one with so many miles on him. In the next three years Price will have Tommy John surgery. You don't trade Peraza.

thethe
06-19-2014, 05:03 PM
The plan is to move La Stella to left after 2015 and Peraza to take over 2b.

I think we are going to see one of them take over for CJ at third if he doesn't start performing better.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Are the Braves going to spend 130 million on payroll? When is price going to have his inevitable Tommy John surgery?

Peraza is about as blue chip of a prospect as it gets. The Braves are going to need cheap players real soon. Kid is 19 and earned a promotion to AA. Sorry, but there is no way I am trading him. This kid is a better prospect than Andrus was.

You willing to trade Simba to get him in the lineup? I was on Peraza's jock before anyone else here was, and I was way ahead of the BA guys, Sickels, and Mayo on him (I had Gattis as #3 on my 2013 list and Peraza at #8 when you couldn't find them talked about anywhere).

If including him in a deal that upgrades the rotation as much as Price would, I'll happily take the step down from him to La Stella at 2B.

The Braves need "cheap" players that can play CF and 3B real soon - unfortunately he doesn't play one of those positions.

thethe
06-19-2014, 05:07 PM
You willing to trade Simba to get him in the lineup? I was on Peraza's jock before anyone else here was, and I was way ahead of the BA guys, Sickels, and Mayo on him (I had Gattis as #3 on my 2013 list and Peraza at #8 when you couldn't find them talked about anywhere).

If including him in a deal that upgrades the rotation as much as Price would, I'll happily take the step down from him to La Stella at 2B.

The Braves need "cheap" players that can play CF and 3B real soon - unfortunately he doesn't play one of those positions.

The Braves have power at plenty of positions. Peraza would be just fine at third base. And with his speed he could easily play CF adquately.

Why would you trade for a starting pitcher who has thrown so many innings. Its only a matter of time.

Carp
06-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Peraza is not a top prospect at this time. He has some potential, but he is not someone you think twice about trading for Price. Price is an interesting case, cause his value is about as low as it can be, and there likely won't be as many bidders. On the other hand, the Rays are also aware of this, and are not the type of team to take low on value on a player, especially one of their most well known/liked players.

But it isn't gonna happen anyways. We already have a logjam in the rotation. We have enough starting pitching. We just need a lot of BP help and a bench bat.

cajunrevenge
06-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Price has given up a lot of homers which I think is partly a result of playing in AL East snd partly a fluke. His other peripheral stats are good. Last I looked he had the highest k rate of his career. I think he would dominate the NL.

As for Peraza, I agree he isn't a super prospect but could be top 50 if he holds his own at AA. I still don't want to trade him because we need aright handed top of the order hitter. I am also a big fan of having plus defenders up the middle. Him and simmons will be a great defensive duo. Like clvclv said ee need quality cheap players to fill some positions so we can afford the big contracts.

skidlee
06-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Persoally this is who I would go after
James Russell and Emilio Bonifacio from the cubs.

I also would talk to them about Hammel.

I.Don't think the braves should go after a big time SP. A quality 3rd would be ok.

cajunrevenge
06-19-2014, 10:31 PM
A quality #3 would help us make the playoffs but I actually want to advance this time. The only proven formula for winning in the playoffs is having multiple aces. Price/Teheran/Wood/Minor would be a sick playoff rotation.

thewupk
06-19-2014, 10:46 PM
A quality #3 would help us make the playoffs but I actually want to advance this time. The only proven formula for winning in the playoffs is having multiple aces. Price/Teheran/Wood/Minor would be a sick playoff rotation.

Maddux Smoltz glavine have 1 ring. There are no proven formulas

thewupk
06-19-2014, 10:47 PM
And the braves need to score more runs or they won't make the playoffs regardless of who's pitching

clvclv
06-19-2014, 10:49 PM
As of now our rotation is Teheran, Minor, Santana, Harang, and Wood (in about 10 days).

Please don't tell me that you think that wins you either of the wildcards when Miami just promoted Heaney.

I was at least willing to consider the argument that we didn't need to improve the rotation when Wood was going to be the replacement for Harang (who happened to be the guy 99% of you have said the clock was going to strike midnight on since he signed) - he just became the replacement for Floyd.

This really was a two team race before tonight. It just became a three team race, and the Marlins have more MLB-ready SP than we do.

thethe
06-19-2014, 10:49 PM

+1000000

Thank you for saying this. We need a pitcher that gets hot. That isn't necessarily an ace. I'd like hammerlock.as well.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 10:56 PM
+1000000

Thank you for saying this. We need a pitcher that gets hot. That isn't necessarily an ace. I'd like hammerlock.as well.

Exactly which three of Teheran/Minor/Santana/Harang/Wood measure up with those three???

thethe
06-19-2014, 10:57 PM
What's the difference? Those three didn't win much of anything as is.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Everybody loves to *itch about the offense, and most of those complaints are legitimate.

However, Teheran/Minor/Santana/Harang/Wood doesn't get you into the playoffs unless the offense gets and stays hot for an extended period of time or Minor/Santana/Harang don't start pitching better than they've pitched in the last 3-4 weeks in a big hurry and keep pitching that way for the rest of the way.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 11:08 PM
What's the difference? Those three didn't win much of anything as is.

Always love a challenge. If you're game, I am.

If we DON'T make a move to improve the rotation from the outside and somehow make the playoffs with a rotation of Teheran/Minor/Santana/Harang/Wood and Hale and our other AAAA Pitchers, I'll turn in my chopcountry.com card.

If we stand pat and don't make the playoffs, you do the same.

tomahawkchop10
06-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Before this injury I was fine with just replacing Harang with Wood, but now I feel we have to make a move. We've already sacraficed our 1st Rd pick(would have probably been Chavis) to compete this year. I don't feel harang or hale will allow us to do that.

We all knew Harang wasn't a guy who should make 30+ starts. He gave us some great innings, but he's showing signs of going back to the real Harang. Also I know Hale has pitched well when starting, but I have not been impressed with what I've seen from him out of the BP. It's not very safe to just assume he'll be able to keep it up all year, plus he may be on an innings limit.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of emptying the farm for Price. If they are willing to be realistic that'd be great. But we need to be looking at guys like samardzija, Hammel, and anyone else who may be available. Wonder if Lee will be put on the block? He has shown he is a postseason monster, and I believe he is a FA to be? which would make the phils more inclined to deal within the division, although I'd hate to give them something they could use so idk. Point is I think some type of trade will need to be made. And we should consider all options.

thewupk
06-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Everybody loves to *itch about the offense, and most of those complaints are legitimate.

However, Teheran/Minor/Santana/Harang/Wood doesn't get you into the playoffs unless the offense gets and stays hot for an extended period of time or Minor/Santana/Harang don't start pitching better than they've pitched in the last 3-4 weeks in a big hurry and keep pitching that way for the rest of the way.

No ****. But which is the bigger issue. That potential rotation or our offense which is currently 29th in runs scored?

tomahawkchop10
06-19-2014, 11:27 PM
No ****. But which is the bigger issue. That potential rotation or our offense which is currently 29th in runs scored?

Problem is there is no real way to fix the problem. BJ is the biggest problem and he isn't movable. Lineup construction will help but only ho so far. I would like to see the hitting coaches fired though.

clvclv
06-19-2014, 11:29 PM

You have to improve where you can improve.

There are no available replacements for Johnson or B. J.. The only way this team makes the playoffs is if the starters perform the way did for the first six weeks. Teheran/Minor/Santana/Harang/Wood are incapable of doing so. Substitute Price/Samardzija/another high-end Pitcher for Harang and you've got a puncher's chance.

I understand not wanting to take that gamble. My point is that if you're not willing to do so, it's time to start shopping J-Up, Heyward, and whatever other pieces that potentially have value and start building for 2016.

thewupk
06-19-2014, 11:36 PM
You have to improve where you can improve.

There are no available replacements for Johnson or B. J.. The only way this team makes the playoffs is if the starters perform the way did for the first six weeks. Teheran/Minor/Santana/Harang/Wood are incapable of doing so. Substitute Price/Samardzija/another high-end Pitcher for Harang and you've got a puncher's chance.

I understand not wanting to take that gamble. My point is that if you're not willing to do so, it's time to start shopping J-Up, Heyward, and whatever other pieces that potentially have value and start building for 2016.

I think gambling on the hitting talent to improve and getting a starter but not emptying the farm for a Price/Samaraadsfajfafa is the better route. For one I don't think Jeff is worth the asking price the Cubs likely have and Price is a FA to be. Gutting the farm for him is not something we should do when we wouldn't be able to afford him either way. I would try to trade for a #3 to replace Harang with and see what happens. Don't forfeit the season but don't rape the farm either. Of course that's easier said then done. I also think shoring up the pen with 1 more legit arm and addressing the bench would help the team tremendously.

thethe
06-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Always love a challenge. If you're game, I am.

If we DON'T make a move to improve the rotation from the outside and somehow make the playoffs with a rotation of Teheran/Minor/Santana/Harang/Wood and Hale and our other AAAA Pitchers, I'll turn in my chopcountry.com card.

If we stand pat and don't make the playoffs, you do the same.

Who is saying I don't want to make a move? I don't want to trade the farm for a pitcher we are going to have to give a buttload of money to and has thrown a lot of innings. Trading Peraza/Sims for Price is just stupid.

thethe
06-20-2014, 07:19 AM
I think gambling on the hitting talent to improve and getting a starter but not emptying the farm for a Price/Samaraadsfajfafa is the better route. For one I don't think Jeff is worth the asking price the Cubs likely have and Price is a FA to be. Gutting the farm for him is not something we should do when we wouldn't be able to afford him either way. I would try to trade for a #3 to replace Harang with and see what happens. Don't forfeit the season but don't rape the farm either. Of course that's easier said then done. I also think shoring up the pen with 1 more legit arm and addressing the bench would help the team tremendously.

You just have to hope that TLS will continue to find a way to get on base and when the lineup is constructed right it will start clicking...hopefully.

Still need to get a guy like Arrieta/Hammel/etc...

50PoundHead
06-20-2014, 07:35 AM
If it takes Peraza, Bethancourt, or Sims to get Price or Samardzija, I just say no. We've had good fortune trading off mid-level prospects for short-term contributors, but we've been fairly lucky that we haven't had to surrender any of our top-tier minor league talent in recent trades. I don't worship the farm system and part of the job of the farm system is to support the big league club by supplying players and trading chips, but I just say we roll the dice with what we have and go from there.

Folks were dumping on the idea when it was suggested the Braves may be looking at Hammel (and I wasn't enamored with the idea given that Floyd was still healthy when the suggestion was made), but he's probably the kind of guy that will be affordable in terms of prospects if we do make a deal.

If all else fails, we can see what it takes to get Freddy Garcia back from the EDA Rhinos of the Taiwanese Baseball League.

thethe
06-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Something else that I noticed this morning is that CJ is actually heating up. Each month he has hit better so hopefully that will continue. Getting him back to a respectable place would be huge to extend the lineup.

thethe
06-20-2014, 07:38 AM
If it takes Peraza, Bethancourt, or Sims to get Price or Samardzija, I just say no. We've had good fortune trading off mid-level prospects for short-term contributors, but we've been fairly lucky that we haven't had to surrender any of our top-tier minor league talent in recent trades. I don't worship the farm system and part of the job of the farm system is to support the big league club by supplying players and trading chips, but I just say we roll the dice with what we have and go from there.

Folks were dumping on the idea when it was suggested the Braves may be looking at Hammel (and I wasn't enamored with the idea given that Floyd was still healthy when the suggestion was made), but he's probably the kind of guy that will be affordable in terms of prospects if we do make a deal.

If all else fails, we can see what it takes to get Freddy Garcia back from the EDA Rhinos of the Taiwanese Baseball League.

I just don't see for what reason Peraza should be traded...especially for a pitcher. You either develop an ace or you don't have one.

skidlee
06-20-2014, 09:33 AM
I would be willing to trade Minor for price but not wood.

thethe
06-20-2014, 09:37 AM
I would be willing to trade Minor for price but not wood.

If the Rays would do that and Price wanted to sign an extension I'd consider it.

The Chosen One
06-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Price would sign with us for 4 years, go 8-12 with a 3.80 era. Then start off the second season 7-0 and then have elbow discomfort and we lose him for second and third years.

nsacpi
06-20-2014, 10:10 AM
I suspect Price's price tag on an extension would be north of $20M. But we can always dream about a generous discount.

Imo that kind of money would be better spent on Jason and Justin.

zbhargrove
06-20-2014, 01:04 PM
He will but with much better defense. 2B don't age well.

Even if he had good defense, I wouldn't want to see Uggla out there everyday.

Bye Week
06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
I would love to add David Price to this rotation. However the likely cost he would net Tampa probably exceeds what we should give up for him. Besides our offensive is the most worrisome aspect of the team and adding a stud pitcher doesn't fix that.

I say we should but that is only because I know David and his family. They are great people and he would be a great addition to this organization. I literally live 500 yards from where David went to high school.

The Chosen One
06-20-2014, 03:43 PM
I say we should but that is only because I know David and his family. They are great people and he would be a great addition to this organization. I literally live 500 yards from where David went to high school.

I'm still disappointed you didn't ask him at the golf tourney if he would come to the braves. I would have given you a lifetime premium membership.

nsacpi
06-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Price feels the same way about the Braves as Zach Greinke and would give us a similar discount.

cajunrevenge
06-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Price feels the same way about the Braves as Zach Greinke and would give us a similar discount.

According to what? I remeber Price saying it wasn't about money but "being appreciated". I can't confirm money makes him feel appreciated but I think its implied.

nsacpi
06-20-2014, 05:59 PM
According to what? I remeber Price saying it wasn't about money but "being appreciated". I can't confirm money makes him feel appreciated but I think its implied.

Greinke loves the Braves. So does Price. Everyone knows that. It is well documented.

thethe
06-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Greinke loves the Braves. So does Price. Everyone knows that. It is well documented.

Everyone but Heyward.

Carp
06-20-2014, 09:38 PM

May be, but we haven't gotten past the 1st round of the playoffs since all 3 of them were on the team.

So may be there is more to it than you think.

Bye Week
06-21-2014, 08:22 AM
I'm still disappointed you didn't ask him at the golf tourney if he would come to the braves. I would have given you a lifetime premium membership.

He wants to play for the Braves. That is well known in this area. His parents still live here and it is a 2 hour and 45 min drive to Atlanta. They could come watch him pitch anytime they wanted to.

Now I'm not saying he wants to play here for half the price or anything like that but if he could pick one team to play for all things being equal it would be the Braves.

The Chosen One
06-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Price would be around the same age we acquired Huddy 10 years ago.

He could accept a team friendly deal, and at the same time re-unite BJ Upton with the Rays.

thethe
06-21-2014, 08:38 AM
The deal would have to be very team friendly IMO. He has a lot of miles on his tires.

Heyward
06-21-2014, 12:22 PM
The deal would have to be very team friendly IMO. He has a lot of miles on his tires.

Thats why i'd stay away.

I'd go after Samardizja if we get into the SP market.

He's only wanting around 100 million on a contract.

depley
06-21-2014, 05:13 PM
The more I look at Price the more I want him. At 28 he is just starting the prime of his career, and even if you got him for the next 1 1/2 years it might be worth it. We have the organizational depth to withstand several players in the mix for trade. As long as it does not include Alex Wood I would be ok giving up 4 prospects to get him. Having him along with Teheran, Wood, Minor and who ever as the 5th starter we would be a better club. It would mean you could trade Santana or Harang at the deadline for bullpen help. As far as the position players I just do not see a move to be made that helps this team (other than someone taking BJ Upton and his contract off our hands, but that is not happening)

thewupk
06-21-2014, 05:18 PM
May be, but we haven't gotten past the 1st round of the playoffs since all 3 of them were on the team.

So may be there is more to it than you think.

Maybe. But if multiple aces is sure fire success then why did that group only have 1 ring? Why did Hudson, Mulder, and Zito never make it past the LDS? The answer, imo, is that there is nothing you can do to guarantee wins in the playoffs. Greinke and Kershaw didn't make it past the LCS. Verlander and Co. have been shut out as world series winners the past few years. You can point to something like the Giants recently having won a couple of rings with great pitching and I can bring up multiple teams composed the same way that never won anything. It's all about getting hot at the right time.

Jay212033
06-21-2014, 05:36 PM
So lets just say the Braves wanted to trade for Price here's what I think a trade would look like.

Rays get:
Christian Bethancourt - C
Lucas Sims - RHP
J.R. Graham - RHP
Joey Terdoslovich - OF/1B

Braves get:
David Price - LHP, extend him 8 yrs/140 mil.

Our rotation would be unbelievable!

Price - LHP
Teheran - RHP
Minor - LHP
Santana - RHP
Wood - LHP

Heyward
06-21-2014, 06:02 PM
So lets just say the Braves wanted to trade for Price here's what I think a trade would look like.

Rays get:
Christian Bethancourt - C
Lucas Sims - RHP
J.R. Graham - RHP
Joey Terdoslovich - OF/1B

Braves get:
David Price - LHP, extend him 8 yrs/140 mil.

Our rotation would be unbelievable!

Price - LHP
Teheran - RHP
Minor - LHP
Santana - RHP
Wood - LHP

Swap out Wood for Graham, and yes.

No way the Rays do that without him in there.

Not that we are trading for him.

Heyward
06-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Maybe. But if multiple aces is sure fire success then why did that group only have 1 ring? Why did Hudson, Mulder, and Zito never make it past the LDS? The answer, imo, is that there is nothing you can do to guarantee wins in the playoffs. Greinke and Kershaw didn't make it past the LCS. Verlander and Co. have been shut out as world series winners the past few years. You can point to something like the Giants recently having won a couple of rings with great pitching and I can bring up multiple teams composed the same way that never won anything. It's all about getting hot at the right time.

Pretty much this.

There is no formula.

When Philly had Doc, Hamels, Lee, they didnt win a title, it's all about getting in and getting some breaks, getting hot.

cajunrevenge
06-21-2014, 06:15 PM

No strategy is absolute and the multiple aces strategy is the most proven formula. Winning in the playoffs isn't just winning a championship. We had 3 aces and won 1 title but we won far more series than we have since they got old/left.

thewupk
06-21-2014, 06:53 PM
No strategy is absolute and the multiple aces strategy is the most proven formula. Winning in the playoffs isn't just winning a championship. We had 3 aces and won 1 title but we won far more series than we have since they got old/left.

Winning a world series is all that matters once you are there. Nobody cares how many games you win if you don't bring back a ring.

cajunrevenge
06-22-2014, 10:28 AM
When you lose 10 straight nlds series I start to care about just getting to the nlcs.

CrimsonCowboy
06-22-2014, 12:58 PM
The Braves are among the teams scouting David Price.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/22/cardinals-dodgers-giants-braves-and-marlins-among-teams-watching-rays-ace-david-price/

NinersSBChamps
06-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Can't afford him.

thewupk
06-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Can't afford him.

Won't help either when the offense can't score runs for him.

Jay212033
06-22-2014, 03:45 PM
The Braves are among the teams scouting David Price.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/22/cardinals-dodgers-giants-braves-and-marlins-among-teams-watching-rays-ace-david-price/

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/nl-east-notes-jennings-braves-hamels-mets.html

DOB said no sir!

UNCBlue012
06-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Can't afford him.

No, we without a doubt can afford him. It's just not sure how worth it, it is.

Jay212033
06-22-2014, 08:29 PM
The Braves can definitely afford him. He'd actually be another key face going into the new stadium in 2017 and it helps he's alway been a Braves fan.

NinersSBChamps
06-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Wren was on record after the Santana signing. Saying something about getting back down to budget. Ownership opened up their wallets before, but I doubt they will do it again. Unless we are getting rid of BJ or Uggla in a trade. Which we all know isn't happening.

GovClintonTyree
06-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Won't help either when the offense can't score runs for him.

It seems to me like our pitching has been putting us in a hole pretty regularly lately. Other than BJ, the offense has come along. Why he continues to hit second is beyond me. We're kind of past the stage of "getting him going."

tomahawkchop10
06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/rays-prepared-to-move-david-price.html

Rays ready to move Price now. Still think the asking price would be too high.

COGPK
06-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Hey! I got an idea. Let's trade Uggla and BJ for Price.

(jk)

CrimsonCowboy
06-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Marc Topkin ‏@TBTimes_Rays 2h
Among teams w/scouts at #Rays/Price game: #BlueJays + #Royals (2 each), #Braves. #Brewers, #Rangers, #Nationals, #Mariners, #Twins, #Orioles

nsacpi
06-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Braves might have interest in a couple other Rays players. Lefty relievers Ramos and McGee to be specific.

Heyward
06-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Would cost at least Sims, Wood, Bet, and one of our bullpen arms.

And honestly not sure he's a MASSIVE upgrade over what we got :Alone:

tomahawkchop10
06-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Braves might have interest in a couple other Rays players. Lefty relievers Ramos and McGee to be specific.

I would love to see us pick up McGee.

CrimsonCowboy
07-15-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24622613/southern-comfort-price-names-favorite-team-other-than-the-rays

UNCBlue012
07-15-2014, 09:12 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24622613/southern-comfort-price-names-favorite-team-other-than-the-rays

Do I think we will get him? Probably not. But, I believe we have as good of a chance as anyone and I believe if we DID get him, he'd sign longterm for a decent deal on both parts.

CrimsonCowboy
07-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Do I think we will get him? Probably not. But, I believe we have as good of a chance as anyone and I believe if we DID get him, he'd sign longterm for a decent deal on both parts.

I don't think it's likely the Braves will trade for him this year, though I still think they need to look at rotation options in addition to the pen. Offseason, we'll see.

Fredi Gonzalez
07-15-2014, 10:05 PM
This Price thing reminds me of the Ervin Santana thing. All logic and past actions say it won't happen. They finally opened up th checkbook and made a win now decision. Maybe it can happen again. To say we don't have the ammo is ludicris. We have a wealthy of young players to trade.

Bethancourt only raised his stock with his showing in the majors and is under contract thru atleast 2020.

Shae Simmons could close for 6.5 seasons before being a free agent

David Hale is a quality swingman also under team control for many years.

Lucas Sims is a big prospect despite a down year so far

Jose Peraza is going nowhere but I would bet the Rays holding out for him.

Tommy La Stella's stock has to be soaring and might be available if the Braves think Peraza could be ready to start 2015. Note, you have to view this thru the eyes f a front office that just signed CJ to a multi year deal and does not hate him with the passion some here do.

Jason Hursh, I have no idea what to make of this kid. He is doing well at AA and that's no small accomplishment soon after being drafted but I would expect to see more k's. Still a 2013 rd 1 pick, he has value.

Any trade for Price probably coincides with trading Harang. He has been solid and we could get a decent prospect from a third organization to flip to the Rays.

I think a trade could happen dependant on a contract extension similar to the Hudson trade. While the trade was done without an extension they knew it was close when the trade was finalized. If Price would sign a reasonable contract I think it gets done. And by reasonable I mean 20 mill a year as opposed to 25.

zitothebrave
07-15-2014, 10:06 PM
We will get no decent prospects for Harang Fredi. I know that it's the break but you shouldn't post drunk .

The Chosen One
07-15-2014, 10:08 PM
This Price thing reminds me of the Ervin Santana thing. All logic and past actions say it won't happen. They finally opened up th checkbook and made a win now decision. Maybe it can happen again. To say we don't have the ammo is ludicris. We have a wealthy of young players to trade.

Bethancourt only raised his stock with his showing in the majors and is under contract thru atleast 2020.

Shae Simmons could close for 6.5 seasons before being a free agent

David Hale is a quality swingman also under team control for many years.

Lucas Sims is a big prospect despite a down year so far

Jose Peraza is going nowhere but I would bet the Rays holding out for him.

Tommy La Stella's stock has to be soaring and might be available if the Braves think Peraza could be ready to start 2015. Note, you have to view this thru the eyes f a front office that just signed CJ to a multi year deal and does not hate him with the passion some here do.

Jason Hursh, I have no idea what to make of this kid. He is doing well at AA and that's no small accomplishment soon after being drafted but I would expect to see more k's. Still a 2013 rd 1 pick, he has value.

Any trade for Price probably coincides with trading Harang. He has been solid and we could get a decent prospect from a third organization to flip to the Rays.

I think a trade could happen dependant on a contract extension similar to the Hudson trade. While the trade was done without an extension they knew it was close when the trade was finalized. If Price would sign a reasonable contract I think it gets done. And by reasonable I mean 20 mill a year as opposed to 25.

Really good insight there Fredi. Is that your perspective based on what you know speaking with the coaches and the front office, or just as a fan of the team?

Fredi Gonzalez
07-15-2014, 10:46 PM
As a fan. Frank won't tell me ****.

Fredi Gonzalez
07-15-2014, 10:53 PM
We will get no decent prospects for Harang Fredi. I know that it's the break but you shouldn't post drunk .

I don't drink anymore. Last time I got drunk I somehow agreed to manage the marlins. I still share an occasional blunt with the Upton boys between innings every now and then though.

CyYoung31
07-15-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't drink anymore. Last time I got drunk I somehow agreed to manage the marlins. I still share an occasional blunt with the Upton boys between innings every now and then though.

Can BJ hit it?

Fredi Gonzalez
07-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Can BJ hit it?

He a 1 hitter quitter.

nsacpi
07-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Very unlikely.

But there are some interesting scenarios to ponder.

1) A package of young players/minor league prospects. My guess is it takes something along the lines of Peraza, Bethancourt and Sims.

2) A package that includes Minor. The attraction for the Rays is Minor is under team control through 2017. And though he is having a down year, he is still regarded as a quality pitcher. In that scenario the package might be along the lines of Minor, Bethancourt, Sims.

3) A package that includes Heyward or Justin Upton. I know this one will seem crazy. But the Braves could be in a position where if they sign Price to a team-friendly long-term deal, they could not afford both Jason and Justin. So why not send one of them to the Rays. They could send us someone like DeJesus to play the outfield.

4) A trade centered around Price and Gattis. If you look at things from a medium-term perspective there is quite a bit of logic to this one.

Five
07-16-2014, 09:47 AM
4) A trade centered around Price and Gattis. If you look at things from a medium-term perspective there is quite a bit of logic to this one.

I was gonna mention Gattis. I think we could include him. Personally, I feel Gattis would be better suited in the AL.

The Chosen One
07-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Gattis' injuries are only going to get worse like Mac for us the last few years. Might as well trade him to a team that will control him for a long time and he can DH in AL.

Enscheff
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
I......don't know. I just can't see a trade of this magnitude (in both players and dollars) happening at the trade deadline. In the offseason? Maybe, but not during the season. So much shuffling would need to be done to accommodate Price that it seems almost impossible this year.

nsacpi
07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
I......don't know. I just can't see a trade of this magnitude (in both players and dollars) happening at the trade deadline. In the offseason? Maybe, but not during the season. So much shuffling would need to be done to accommodate Price that it seems almost impossible this year.

Most of the scenarios make more sense in the off-season. I wonder how strongly the Rays are motivated to sell right now. They're playing better and the AL East is not that strong.

nsacpi
07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Interesting article on how trading for Price would affect various teams post-season odds.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-trading-for-david-price-changes-the-odds/

MadduxFanII
07-16-2014, 04:25 PM
I think we have enough in the farm system to acquire Price, though doing so would utterly gut us (start with Peraza and Sims and go from there). But other teams have more, and we'll quickly lose any sort of auction. The Cardinals can out-bid just about anyone, for instance.

Fredi Gonzalez
07-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Just because a team can outbid doesn't mean they will. The market for Price is going to be relatively small. Jays/Mariners/Angels/Cards/Dodgers/Giants/ Braves. Thats 7 teams that make any sense. Jays/Mariners/Angels are the most desperate but all 3 stand little chance of re-signing him based on comments he made about not wanting to be too far from home. The Dodgers have to be the favorites as we know they have the prospects, the money, and a win now attitude. Won be surprised if its the Giants, just keeping him from the Dodgers would be extra motivation to make it happen. Cards and Braves are in a very similar situation. Probably can't afford him long term and not likely to give up what the Rays want.

yeezus
07-16-2014, 10:15 PM
I wish Price had a NTC so he could just say "Only Atlanta."

cajunrevenge
07-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Mariners supposedly in talks for Zobrist and Price. That could benefit the braves as Price said he won't re-sign with a team that is far from home like the mariners. That would make him a free agent the same offseason as Uggla/Justin/Heywood/Walden. Thats 40 mill of next years payroll. If Justin and/or Heywood don't take the big contracts the braves offer then maybe Price does.

Enscheff
07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
So Price has officially become the next Jake Peavy for the Braves? The local guy that loves the Braves and desperately wants to wear the uniform?

I forgot...how did all those Peavy rumors turn out?

zbhargrove
07-17-2014, 11:42 PM
So Price has officially become the next Jake Peavy for the Braves? The local guy that loves the Braves and desperately wants to wear the uniform?

If I recall, the Braves basically had a deal for Peavy and it was him who nixed it because Escobar was said to be included. I don't remember anyone saying Peavy wanted desperately to be a Brave... just that we may be a favorable location.

That's a big difference, especially considering I haven't heard a single source other than speculative fans thinking we are a serious landing spot. Most speculation I see from the experts say we realistically almost have zero chance.

Enscheff
07-18-2014, 11:52 AM
My mistake. I get all the "he wants to be a Brave so he will be traded for and will extend for cheap" stories confused.

The Chosen One
07-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Wait Peavy no-go'd the deal because he wanted Escobar to stay?

ramadon101
07-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Wait Peavy no-go'd the deal because he wanted Escobar to stay?

Yes and no. Jake had another reason to reject the trade (which is personal and which I won't divulge) but he did outwardly ask Barry (Axelrod, his agent) who would play SS for Atlanta if Esco goes to SD in the deal. He was concerned that his add to the Braves would not only remove their incumbent SS but also put further financial strain on the Braves to go out and acquire anyone else of substance to replace Esco.

cajunrevenge
07-19-2014, 12:30 AM
For those who say we can't afford Price he is getting paid the exact same as Santana. If we flip Santana to someone else that's the payroll space we need plus it gets prospects to lessen the hit on the farm system. They can always backload a long term deal to keep within the budget until the new stadium opens.

I think we forget just how good he is. In the NL I think he would put up similar numbers to Wainwright. Looked at his game log and Price has pitched 8 innings in 6 of last 7 starts and has pitched atleast 7 for 10 straight starts. Its almost like trading for bullpen help at the same time.

Heyward
07-19-2014, 07:59 AM

Greinke too.

Heyward
07-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Mariners supposedly in talks for Zobrist and Price. That could benefit the braves as Price said he won't re-sign with a team that is far from home like the mariners. That would make him a free agent the same offseason as Uggla/Justin/Heywood/Walden. Thats 40 mill of next years payroll. If Justin and/or Heywood don't take the big contracts the braves offer then maybe Price does.

I'd rather sign Heyward/JUp than trade the prospects, use the cash it will take to sign Price.

JMO.

NinersSBChamps
07-19-2014, 10:11 AM
I'd rather sign Heyward/JUp than trade the prospects, use the cash it will take to sign Price.

JMO.

How are we going to sign Price? Jason is due for a pretty hefty contract, is he not? I believe it's somewhere around 120 million?

zbhargrove
07-19-2014, 10:27 AM
How are we going to sign Price? Jason is due for a pretty hefty contract, is he not? I believe it's somewhere around 120 million?

He was saying do not sign Price... use the money instead to sign Heyward or Upton... use the money we would have signed Price for.

NinersSBChamps
07-19-2014, 10:30 AM
He was saying do not sign Price... use the money instead to sign Heyward or Upton... use the money we would have signed Price for.

I know what he is saying.

Just making fun of him because he thinks Jason is worth 100 million plus.

Heyward
07-19-2014, 12:04 PM
I know what he is saying.

Just making fun of him because he thinks Jason is worth 100 million plus.

Of course i do, players get overpaid.

Jason isnt elite offensively but the other traits he brings make him worth it (elite baserunner, amazing defensive outfielder)

If it's Price or Justin/JUp (both), i'm taking JUp/Jason.

The Braves have developed pitching pretty well, hitting prospects OTOH eh.

NinersSBChamps
07-19-2014, 12:07 PM

Jason isnt elite offensively but the other traits he brings make him worth it (elite baserunner, amazing defensive outfielder)

Jason is average offensively. Yes he is elite in those other areas you mentioned, but not near 100 million if you ask me. Something along the lines of the BJ Upton contract I would be fine with. I know it's not going to happen though.

Heyward
07-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Jason is average offensively. Yes he is elite in those other areas you mentioned, but not near 100 million if you ask me. Something along the lines of the BJ Upton contract I would be fine with. I know it's not going to happen though.

Fair enough, we'll see this offseason what they offer him, although i doubt Jason accepts heading into his FA year where alot of players all of a sudden have great years

NinersSBChamps
07-19-2014, 12:13 PM
It just sucks because BJ could be used as a baseline especially within the organization. We all would agree that Jason is more valuable and important than BJ Upton. His bargaining chip would be just that. He deserves to make more than BJ Upton without a doubt.

Carp
07-19-2014, 01:37 PM

JMO.

Huddy turned out to be pretty good.

I'd rather pay D. Price 140 million than sign Jason to 100+ million given his way inconsistent performance. And I doubt Justin will want to resign if we truly are looking to trade his brother as rumored.

cajunrevenge
07-19-2014, 02:34 PM

I don't see why it would be Price or both Justin and Heywood. All 3 should get contracts around 20 million even with a discount. Its more like trade for Price and re-sign one of Heywood or Justin. Price has to be considered the easiest to sign. Plus we get 1.5 years of all 3 of them. Maybe if we go deep into the playoffs both years we can keep all 3.

Tapate50
07-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I get real nervous about doling out a massive contract to a pitcher with miles on his tires like Price.

Heyward
07-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Huddy turned out to be pretty good.

I'd rather pay D. Price 140 million than sign Jason to 100+ million given his way inconsistent performance. And I doubt Justin will want to resign if we truly are looking to trade his brother as rumored.

Price has alot of innings on his arm, not saying he isnt good, i'd like to have him but it makes me weary potentially giving him a massive deal.

Of course we'd like to move BJ but it wont happen so it's stupid to discuss.

I'd pay Jason/Justin 100+ each before giving the prospects/contract it will take for Price.

cajunrevenge
07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
For those against trading for Price. Would you oppose signing him when he is a free agent if one or both Heywood/Upton leave?

Tapate50
07-19-2014, 02:58 PM
For those against trading for Price. Would you oppose signing him when he is a free agent if one or both Heywood/Upton leave?

Probably. I see too many contracts that turn the other way for big time pitchers.

AerchAngel
07-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Probably. I see too many contracts that turn the other way for big time pitchers.

we got burnt on Hampton and Lowe

Yanks got burnt on CC Walrus.

Carp
07-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Yanks hardly got burnt on CC the first time. The 2nd contract hasn't gone so well. And I'd say Cliff Lee has been a pretty good investment for the Phils. Think LA is regretting signing Greinke?

Coredor
07-19-2014, 11:52 PM
If we did acquire Price we should really consider trading JUp or Heyward in the offseason. We wouldn't have the money to keep both, and we'd need some cheap, young talent to replace what we'd have to give up to get Price. Personally I'd be afraid to make the commitment it would take to get Price.

Heyward
07-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Nope, because we arent getting into a bidding war with the LA/NY/Phi markets if he hit FA.

I'd rather sign JUp/Heyward to extensions and roll with the pitching we got.

nsacpi
07-20-2014, 06:19 PM

I'd be ok with that if he gave us a discount.

Heyward
07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
I'd be ok with that if he gave us a discount.

Like Greinke did?

:Sad:

nsacpi
07-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Like Greinke did?

:Sad:

Indeed. One can dream.

Heyward
07-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Indeed. One can dream.

I'd like Price too but he'd cost Tex 2.0, maybe more given Tampa has the best GM in baseball.

GovClintonTyree
07-20-2014, 07:30 PM
I'd like Price too but he'd cost Tex 2.0, maybe more given Tampa has the best GM in baseball.

I think the reigning champ in that regard would have to be Brian Sabean. Guts of a burglar, a lot of unconventional big money decisions that are paying off, pulling off deals (Pence), developing and finding good pitching, and a couple of titles this decade. Smartest thing this year was sign Huddy, who has been awesome, and has also been invaluable in helping Tim Lincecum reinvent himself.