PDA

View Full Version : MINORS FINAL 7/3: Dykstra Makes His Early Mark

rico43
07-03-2014, 03:33 AM
The next player you've never heard of likely to climb onto the Braves' top prospect list is a right-handed reliever by the name of Ramon Moreno. A surprisingly old 24, the Dominican has been the backbone of the Braves' best DSL team in recent memory. He has appeared in 13 games so far, with a 2-1 record and seven saves, including five in his last eight appearances.

Boy throws strikes: only one walk in 15 innings vs. 11 strikeouts, but 13 hits allowed. He gave up four of those hits in one bat outing June 17, and has not allowed one in his last five outings. Why so old for a DSL rookie? The media guide sheds no light on his, as he signed as a FA in December, likely out of a tryout camp. He is quite probably a literal rags to riches story if he continues to mow hitters down. Wish we knew more about the DSL guys!

-------------------

THURSDAY BOX SCORES (http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=144&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20140703)

--------------------

CLASS AAA

Durham 5, Gwinnett 3

LP: Schlosser (4-4) 6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 3 K.
Pastornicky 3-5. (.311)
Cunningham 2-4, 2 R, RBI, SB.
Terdoslavich 2-5, R.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 7, Huntsville 3

WP: Atkins (3-0) 6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.
Fassold 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Peraza 3-5, 2 2B, 2 R, SB.
Kubitza 2-4, 3B, R, 3 RBIs, 2 E (19).
Rohm 3-4, 2B, 2 R.
Loman 3-4, R, RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 10, Lynchburg 4

LP: Watts (0-2) 4.1 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 2 K.
Landoni 2-3, 2 R. (.341)
E. Garcia 1-2, R, 2 RBIs.
Skinner 1-3, 2B.
Brown 1-4, 2B.

CLASS A

Augusta 3, Rome 2

SP: Diaz 3.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K.
Barker 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. (Rome debut)
LP: Vail (BS, 0-3) 2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
Giardina 1-3, RBI.
Lien 1-3, RBI, SB.

SHORT-SEASON

Danville 5, Burlington 3

16 total strikeouts by D-Braves.
SP: Povse 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
WP: Miranda (1-0) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.
Dirks (Save, 2) 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Godfrey 2-4, 2B, 2 R, 2 SB.
Edgerton 0-2, 2 RBIs, 2 SF.
Kreitemeier 1-2, 2B, 2 RBIs, 2 BB.

GCL Phillies 6 GCL Braves 5

SP: Santana 5 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Gunther 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. (rehab)
LP: Dettman (0-2) 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 0 K.
Dykstra 4-4, 2B, R, RBI, BB.
Didder 2-5, 3B, R, RBI, SB.

DSL BlueJays 7, DSL Braves 2

Managed only 3 hits.
LP: L. Barrios (1-4) 2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K.
T. Josephina 1-3, 3B, RBI.
Cortes 1-4, 2B, R.

50PoundHead
07-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Ryan Gunther makes his 2014 debut with a scoreless inning in the GCL. My guess is he'll be in Danville or Rome when deemed healthy. Anyone know what type of injury he suffered that held him back this season.

Jay212033
07-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Luke Dykstra has been pretty good so far! 3-3, 2B, BB so far.

50PoundHead
07-03-2014, 01:42 PM

Ended 4-4. It's way early and he's played a ton of baseball at a young age so that has to be taken into account, but there's no question he's launched himself impressively.

nsacpi
07-03-2014, 01:42 PM

4 for 4 with a walk. Batting .500. Not bad.

Middle name is Avery. Destined for great things as a Brave.

Jay212033
07-03-2014, 01:53 PM
I love these young guys that are coming in and taking WALKS! It is so refreshing to see the plate discipline of some of these young guys like Albies, Dykstra, Edgerton. Love seeing more walks than strikeouts.

nsacpi
07-03-2014, 02:04 PM
I love these young guys that are coming in and taking WALKS! It is so refreshing to see the plate discipline of some of these young guys like Albies, Dykstra, Edgerton. Love seeing more walks than strikeouts.

Walk rates and to a lesser extent strikeout rates have been shown to help predict prospect success. There will always be a few that defy that. But I'd much rather have a group of prospects with a hitting profile like La Stella than like Bethancourt.

50PoundHead
07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Anyone here speak Spanish/Papiamento or whatever Ray-Patrick Didder is speaking in this interview with Claret Lopez?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7f89YhHoo

Jay212033
07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Walk rates and to a lesser extent strikeout rates have been shown to help predict prospect success. There will always be a few that defy that. But I'd much rather have a group of prospects with a hitting profile like La Stella than like Bethancourt.

Exactly! I want more prospects that show a good eye at the plate even if it comes with sacrificing some power. The Braves have too many swing for the 3 run homer type than put the ball in play/walk type players.

50PoundHead
07-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Does the research on walk rates get down to the rookie league level? I've never done a comprehensive analysis, but it just seems to me that there are more than a few guys (especially college level players) who walk quite a bit in the minors, but can't hold the rate all the way up the chain because they can't hit. I have looked at league walk rates and I'm surprised they aren't that much higher in rookie ball than in higher leagues, but the standard deviation in talent that is on the mound is pretty wide in rookie ball and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to wait for the pitcher to throw strikes (which often doesn't happen).

nsacpi
07-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Does the research on walk rates hold at the rookie league level? I've never done a comprehensive analysis, but it just seems to me that there are more than a few guys (especially college level players) who walk quite a bit in the minors, but can't hold the rate all the way up the chain because they can't hit. I have looked at league walk rates and I'm surprised they aren't that much higher in rookie ball than in higher leagues, but the standard deviation in talent that is on the mound is pretty wide in rookie ball and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to wait for the pitcher to throw strikes (which often doesn't happen).

The research suggests that walk rates at the rookie league level are not that important. AA is the time when you want to start paying attention to them.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/1/31/5346254/minor-league-prospects-career-walk-strikeouts-success

thethe
07-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Kubitza has to be considered a legit option for the 25 man next year now IMO.

atl717
07-03-2014, 09:11 PM
No he doesn't. He will start next year in AAA.

KB21
07-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Kubitza has to be considered a legit option for the 25 man next year now IMO.

It may not be saying much, but he is probably the best bat in the system right now not named Jose Peraza.

I tell you something else as well. With the way Elmer Reyes has hit with his promotion to AAA ball, along with Phil Gosselin's production this year, there will be very little reason to keep Dan Uggla on the roster for much longer. Right now, it is obvious that the Braves would rather play with a 24 man roster than just pay Uggla to go away.

thethe
07-03-2014, 09:34 PM
It may not be saying much, but he is probably the best bat in the system right now not named Jose Peraza.

I tell you something else as well. With the way Elmer Reyes has hit with his promotion to AAA ball, along with Phil Gosselin's production this year, there will be very little reason to keep Dan Uggla on the roster for much longer. Right now, it is obvious that the Braves would rather play with a 24 man roster than just pay Uggla to go away.

Yeah, its good to produce these plug in guys who can fill out a rotation. I'm just hoping that Kubitza is a big more than that.

atl717
07-03-2014, 09:42 PM
He strikes out a lot and doesn't have much home run power. Great eye but his walk rate will fall as pitchers challenge him. Looks like a bench guy to me.

thethe
07-03-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm fine with guys that have doubles power and work the counts. We need more guys like that.

50PoundHead
07-04-2014, 08:22 AM
The research suggests that walk rates at the rookie league level are not that important. AA is the time when you want to start paying attention to them.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/1/31/5346254/minor-league-prospects-career-walk-strikeouts-success

Thanks.

I know the author doesn't contend that his research is foolproof, but Aaron Hicks seems to deviate from his findings. Guy has walked at all levels, including the majors and hasn't struck out that much, but he has no power and simply can't put the ball in play with much authority. I think batting average can be very misleading, but it still does matter.

To others above who have commented on Uggla, I don't see a single reason why he should still be on the team.

nsacpi
07-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Nineteen year old Luis Miranda continues to impress in Danville.

2 1 0 0 1 4 in relief last night. 12 strikeouts and 2 walks so far in 8 innings.

Guy was skipped directly to Danville from the DSL last year.

Teheran_49
07-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Cedric Hunter is having a rather decent year in AA. He's 26 and a former Padre farmhand but he has been in the majors before and isn't relatively old. 30 XBH in 227 AB's and walking as much as he's k'ing. Also is hitting at a .317 clip with a 900+OPS.

nsacpi
07-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Kubitza's numbers for May, June and now July are incredible. The 400 plus BABIP doesn't hurt.

sturg33
07-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Perazza just keeps on trucking

Teheran_49
07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Perazza just keeps on trucking
I think Peraza is closer to the Majors than I first thought at beginning of season. He is producing at a very nice level at AA for a 20 year old, though a small sample. Looks like we've found our future table setter that we've needed since Furcal.

Braves1976
07-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Cedric Hunter is having a rather decent year in AA. He's 26 and a former Padre farmhand but he has been in the majors before and isn't relatively old. 30 XBH in 227 AB's and walking as much as he's k'ing. Also is hitting at a .317 clip with a 900+OPS.

Yep, he is also from my hometown. I like him and have repeatedly said I believe he could help us right now. I see him as a bit of late bloomer, he seems to be finally putting it together after at one time being a highly thought of Padres prospect. He could be an upgrade to Schafer and someone that I wouldn't rule out as starter material in the outfield. He can play all three outfield positions too.

Braves1976
07-04-2014, 02:38 PM
4 for 4 with a walk. Batting .500. Not bad.

Middle name is Avery. Destined for great things as a Brave.

Yea, good start for the kid. I liked the draft pick and expect him to continue to do well.

nsacpi
07-04-2014, 02:39 PM
A couple nice days at the plate for our guys in the GCL.

17 year old SS Ozhaino Albies goes 3 for 3 to push his average to .361.

19 year old Franklin Azuaje also goes 3 for 3 (with 2 doubles) to push his average up to .381.

I think Albies is already one of our Top 10 prospects.

Braves1976
07-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I think Peraza is closer to the Majors than I first thought at beginning of season. He is producing at a very nice level at AA for a 20 year old, though a small sample. Looks like we've found our future table setter that we've needed since Furcal.

Yea, Peraza could be ready for a Sept. call-up at this rate. He is getting a lot of multi-hit games and when he's on base good things happen.

nsacpi
07-04-2014, 02:44 PM
We have some good talent in Rookie ball. The teams in Rome and Lynchburg don't have much, but that'll change next year with the influx from Rookie ball.

thethe
07-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't call up Peraza in September at the latest. If he continues to hit like this till the end of August then what the hell do you do? If he could be a weapon in the postseason then you kind of have to put him on the roster.

Honestly, right now who would you rather have on the 25 man? Uggla or Peraza?

rico43
07-04-2014, 02:57 PM
We have some good talent in Rookie ball. The teams in Rome and Lynchburg don't have much, but that'll change next year with the influx from Rookie ball.

Rome has been one of the all-time stinker teams. I'm sure young Jon Schuerholz appreciates getting a free pass from the good folks at Chop Country. I can only imagine the postings if Fredi had the big club 30 games below .500 halfway through the year.

nsacpi
07-04-2014, 02:57 PM

That's a tough call.

rico43
07-04-2014, 03:00 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't call up Peraza in September at the latest. If he continues to hit like this till the end of August then what the hell do you do? If he could be a weapon in the postseason then you kind of have to put him on the roster.

This is a game we all can play...

Uggla or Kubitza?

Uggla or Leonard?

Uggla or Gosselin?

Uggla or Eddie Gaedel?

Uggla or Pete Gray?

Uggla or Stevie Wonder?

Uggla or your mama?