PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Life After the World Cup... What to do now?

The Chosen One
07-13-2014, 08:27 AM
The final whistle blows. A new World Cup champion is crowned after today. For the last month, sports fanatics in the USA have been exposed to some of the World's best football, and thanks to our own Team USA, the Football Fever kicked into high gear with record breaking ratings and spurred many huge gatherings to watch games all over the country.

For those who follow soccer primarily during the world cup and are maybe interested in learning some more, Zeets and I here are here to tell you there's plenty of life after soccer.

You can go find yourself a club, either local or international.

MLS is going to be aired weekly on ESPN and Fox Sports.

NBC just won several awards for their coverage of this past season's Barclay's Premier League coverage. It was the first time US fans were allowed to get EPL coverage wall to wall (ESPN used to air one or two games a week) and it was absolutely fantastic. Very refreshing from the cliche American sports pre-game/post-game/half-time and daily coverage. Generally, NBC airs 3-4 games on a normal Saturday morning (EST here is going to be primetime there local). 7:45am game, a 9:45am game, a 12:45 game and sometimes a 2:30 game. Remember that Saturday's in England, are the equivalent to NFL Sunday's here. And Sunday's in England are sort of like Monday Night here. Sunday's usually have 2 games max but are generally marquee games featuring the topside squads in the league. During the midpoint of the season, the EPL schedule generally starts having games fall on a Tuesday-Thursday-Wednesday etc so some teams can play up to 3 games in a week's span. That's where the men are separated from the boys when the schedule gets brutal.

Keep in mind there are also 2 other simultaneous single elimination tournaments going on during the EPL season that are independent of the EPL season. You have the FA Cup (Football Association) which comprises of teams from nearly all the leagues in England (the lower tiers which we consider minor leagues). You can see some of the big squads get knocked off by lesser known teams or neighborhood teams. You also have the League Cup which is historically known as the Carling Cup.

Here is a list of the current notable teams in the Premier League:

Manchester United aka Man U, United, Fergies Boys, Biggest Bandwagon in The World - The Cardinals of the BPL.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/sport/sport_images/Manchester_United_FC_shield_logo.gif

Zito says: Great team, big spenders, but living under a shadow of a great coach retired. Key players, Wayne Rooney (England), Nani (Portugal), Juan Mata (Spain) oh and they hate being called Man U

SAV says: Cunts, lots of winning in the last two decades and you can’t take that away from them. Alex Ferguson is the most successful manager in premier league history… can be seen as maybe the Phil Jackson of the EPL. Doesn’t disqualify the fact they’re cunts. They play at “Old Trafford”. Same owner as Tampa Bay Bucs.

--

Manchester City aka Man City, City, Etihads.-

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/british-football-club/256/Manchester-City-icon.png

Zito says: The Dodgers of the BPL. New money has gone wild bringing in big name players with constant big money transfers. Key players Vincent Kompany (Belgium), Sergio Aguero (Argentina), David Silva (Spain) and Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast).

SAV says: The Dodgers. New ownership a few years ago and they’ve been spending and buying championships. They’ve been the best team in Manchester the last few years. They play at the “Etihad Stadium”. They can score at will most of the time.

--

Chelsea - Josie's Boys

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/british-football-club/256/Chelsea-icon.png

Zito Says: Yankees of the BPL. Spend big bucks all the time to compete, team you hate unless you love. Notable players, Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Eden Hazard (Belgium), and Oscar (Brazil)

SAV says: Not as big of cunts as Man U, but because Jose Mourinho is their manager, they’re slotted in that category as well. They’ve been big spenders for a decade now when they became relevant in EPL play yearly. They’ve had some notable players over the years, John Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba… for all you USMNT fans, our buddy Eden Hazard of Belgium plays for them.

--

Liverpool aka Pool –

http://footballaddict.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/liverpool-fc-logo-icon-256.png

Zeets say: Pirates of the BPL. Used to be a storied Franchise, after years of toiling are seeming finding form. Notable players Luis "The Cannibal" Suarez (Transylvania), Steven Gerrard (England), and Daniel Sturridge (England)

SAV says: Pirates, Notre Dame. All of their glory days happened decades ago. The Cannibal is no longer with them, which is going to make them competing for the title next year a bit more difficult. The image of Suarez on his knees crying after choking a 3-0 lead to Crystal Palace which would’ve been a virtual clinch of the title still makes me giggle.

--
Arsenal – The Gunners or native pronunciation of “Gooners”.

http://www.sportfresh.net/upload/sportfresh-net-premier-arsenal.png
Zeets say: Phillies of the BPL. Were great some time ago, now fans hold lofty goals of what to expect :banana: Notable players Mesut Ozil (Germany) Jack Wilshere (England) and a cast of former players they were too cheap to retain (that they don't share with the Phillies)

SAV say: The natural team any Atlanta Braves fan should gravitate towards. Have always been fiscally sound since their current manager, Arsene Wenger, took over almost 2 decades ago. Model their organization more on player development and scouting over purchasing power like Man U or Chelsea. Have the ability to sign a great player but can have the reputation for being somewhat cheap. Built a new stadium in 2004, which the debt is almost done being paid off, which will give them even more purchasing power soon. Have always had a reputation for beautiful football on the pitch. Because they’re like the Braves with long-time organization stability and player development, they’ve also admittedly choked a bunch in the clutch… Finally won a trophy for the first time in almost a decade a few months ago. Wenger is the futbol version of our own Bobby Cox. A player’s manager that never badmouths his guys publicly even when they are underperforming. Player loyalty as well, sometimes giving weaker players too much playing time. He probably just signed his last new contract which will hopefully see him ride off into the sunset with some new trophies.

Everton -

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/english-football-club/256/Everton-FC-icon.png

Zeets says: A's of the BPL. Team that's seemingly always in the hunt despite comparatively low pay. Notable players, Timmy Howard (USA!) Leighton Baines (England) and Kevin Mirallas (Belgium)

SAV says: I’d agree. Our own Landycakes spent a few tours playing for Everton. Hard to root against them really… just a blue collar team.

Tottenham – aka Totten****, Spurs, Spuds.

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/british-football-club/256/Tottenham-Hotspur-icon.png

Zeets says: Reds of the BPL. Always pretty good. Hovering around the top but never quite getting there. Notable players Hugo Lloris (France) Jan Vertonghen (Belgium), Paulinho (Brazil)

SAV says: This is gilesfan’s favorite team. Is there anything else to say? Oh their biggest rival is Arsenal, and pretty much everyone outside of Tottenham’s fanbase knows who owns North London. I’m trying to come up with an analogous American Pro Sports team to compare them to but all I can think of is feces.

We’ll ignore the rest of the BPL but there are lots of cool little clubs to root for further down the list: Newcastle, Aston Villa, Sunderland (Altidore’s current team), Fulham (Dempsey’s team that just got relegated).

---
Other Notable European Clubs
Barcelona [La Liga] - Big spenders with lots of big players. Messi (Argentina) Xavi (Spain) Iniesta (Spain) Neymar (Brazil), Ivan Rakitic (Croatia) and many many more. Just sold Alexis Sanchez to Arsenal, and bought Suarez from Liverpool.

http://icons.iconseeker.com/png/fullsize/soccer-teams/barcelona-fc-logo.png

Real Madrid [La Liga] - Biggest spenders. Ronaldo (Portugal), Luka Modric (Croatia), Xabi Alonso (Spain), Karim Benzema (France), Marcelo (Brazil), Gilesfan’s biggest ex-loverboy Gareth Bale, and more.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WuUAxn7tu30/UKLHy7Qe0vI/AAAAAAAAACI/GXcIK9SnNx4/s1600/realmadrid256x256.png

Paris Saint-Germain [Ligue 1]- The newest big spending team in the world. Notable players Edinson Cavani (Uruguay), David Luiz (Brazil), Thiago Silva (Brazil), and my one non-world cup participant as he's heavily talked about Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)

http://s019.radikal.ru/i642/1303/54/955b64cabfcb.png

Bayern Munich [Bundesliga] - Big spending german club. Notable players Robben (Netherlands), Shaqiri (Swiss), Mario Gotze (Germany), Thomas Muller (Germany), Toni Kroos (Germany) and many more Germans.

http://footballaddict.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bayern-munchen-logo-icon-256.png

Borussia Dortmund [Bundesliga] - Been fighting Bayern for top spot for quite some time. Not many players heavily featured in the World Cup. Only ones are Mats hummels (Germany) and Sokratis (Greece)

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/german-football-club/256/Borussia-Dortmund-icon.png

AC Milan [ Serie A ] - Notable players such as Balotelli, Kaka, etc.

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/italian-football-club/256/AC-Milan-icon.png

----

The Chosen One
07-13-2014, 08:42 AM
UEFA Champions League
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/3xhumed/mega-games-pack-25/256/UEFA-Champions-League-1-icon.png
What is the Champions League? It's a competition of Europe's best teams that takes place throughout the club season, and the champions league final is generally the last European futbol match played on the calendar season.

Champions league takes the best teams from the Premier League, Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc. and puts them in a round robin format similar to world cup, except you're required to play a home and away series against each team set in your draw/group. Some leagues like the Premier and Liga get 4 automatic qualifying teams because of the strength of their leagues. The qualifications are based on last year's Top 4 teams in the standings, or Top 3 plus the Europa League winner. Europa is basically a similar style tournament that has the Top 5-6 teams from those leagues and they fight it out to make it to the Champions league. Manchester United's streak of playing in Champions League ended after they failed to make the Top 4 in the EPL or win the Champions League this past year.

Champions League matches take precedence over domestic and league cups on the schedule. Those matches get moved to a different opening in the week. This past year's Champion's League winner was Real Madrid, who beat Atletico Madrid... who beat Real a week previously to win the La Liga Title.

Champions League television rights are owned by FOX Sports in the USA. They've done an ok job broadcasting games live simultaneously on Fox Sports, Fox Sports 1, and Fox Sports 2. Coverage is meh, but it's better than nothing.

Keep in mind that domestic club leagues do not have playoffs for their regular season records. The single-elimination format tournaments are throughout the year and are independent of club/league results. The winner of the Liga, EPL, Sliga are all whomever is atop alone in the standings on the last day of the season.

Champions League is as close to playoffs as you are going to get unless you watch MLS.

Also, European Leagues use a "relegation" format. In the EPL, the bottom 3 teams on the table (standings), are relegated to the League Championship (which is the league tier below the Premier League). When those 3 teams are relegated, this year it's Cardiff City, Norwich, and Fulham, 3 new teams are promoted from the Championship to join the big boys. This helps ensure that teams aren't throwing away games at the end of the year, and that they fight to keep their spot in the premier league, because $$$. Imagine basically the Cleveland Browns being relegated to AFL/Arena/UFL until they earn their spot back in the NFL 32. Or the Bucks being relegated to the NBDL and an NBDL team is promoted to the NBA, etc.

zitothebrave
07-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Small correction SAV, Kaka will be a member of OCSC. I'm guessing he'll stay in INter for the fall, but as of next February when OCSC opens their doors, Kaka will be joining Lampard as former European greats making their debut on MLS side.Though I heard he was being loaned to Sao Paolo to join another former intriguing Brazilian in Alexandre Pato.

Gilesfan feel free to add your opinions. This isn't exclusionary. Just something SAV wanted to work on and we did joint contributions.

I want to add though, if you have a local MLS team check them out. If you have a chance to see the US national team go. Soccer is cool on TV but it's awesome in person. I'd equate it to college sports fandom. It's much more active cheering than other US sports so it's probably not for everyone. But if I was still near civilization, I'd still be an American Outlaw that was fun. Only got to do one game with them but I thoroughly enjoyed it (USA/Mexico)

The Chosen One
07-13-2014, 08:43 AM
A Note from Zito on the USMNT:

http://rturek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/usmnt.jpg

I personally follow the USMNT players and the squads they play on.

So on that note. This is where some key US players play their games locally and internationally

Tim Howard (Everton)
Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
Deandre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)
Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
Matt Besler (Sporting KC)
John Brooks (Hertha Berlin)
Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt)
Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Michael Bradley (Toronto FC)
Mix Diskerud (Rosenburg)
Jermaine Jones (Bestikes)
Julian Green (Bayern Munich, hoefully more on the senior squad this year)
Graham Zusi (Sporting KC)
Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
Aron Johannson (AZ Alkmaar)
Jozy Altidore (Sunderland)

Some US players not on the WC roster but could be next go around.

Bill Hamid (DC United)
Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
Cody Cropper (Southampton)
Joe Corona (Tijuana)
Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake)
Brek Shea (Stoke City)
Danny WIlliams (Reading)
Josh Gatt (Molde)
Terrance Boyd (RB Leipzig)
Juan Agudelo (unattached, supposedly close to Steve Cherundolo's old team Hannover 96)
Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)
Jack Mcinerney (Montreal Impact)

And if we land Klinsmann's next target Zelalem, we add an Arsenal Youth to our squad.

Or if you don't want to follow that much. US has a handful of matches played every year in the friendlies. Klinsmann has done his work getting big name matches as well. We've gotten the Germans, Italians, Mexicans, and more. For other US competitions, we have the Gold Cup coming up next year, which if the US wins they'll get automatic birth into the COnfederations cup, which basically a mini-World CUp the year before the World Cup.

Also cannot recommend enough, go to a match. It's super fun, especially as a local supporter (aka sit in the US supporter section)

The Chosen One
07-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Small correction SAV, Kaka will be a member of OCSC. I'm guessing he'll stay in INter for the fall, but as of next February when OCSC opens their doors, Kaka will be joining Lampard as former European greats making their debut on MLS side.Though I heard he was being loaned to Sao Paolo to join another former intriguing Brazilian in Alexandre Pato.

Gilesfan feel free to add your opinions. This isn't exclusionary. Just something SAV wanted to work on and we did joint contributions.

I want to add though, if you have a local MLS team check them out. If you have a chance to see the US national team go. Soccer is cool on TV but it's awesome in person. I'd equate it to college sports fandom. It's much more active cheering than other US sports so it's probably not for everyone. But if I was still near civilization, I'd still be an American Outlaw that was fun. Only got to do one game with them but I thoroughly enjoyed it (USA/Mexico)

Forgot. I didn't read in a few weeks if Kaka was confirmed to go to Orlando, just read a rumor it was virtually a lock since the owner is Brazilian. I was just making up an AC Milan thing since YOU neglected to do so.

The Chosen One
07-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Also another few notes:

Club football is generally higher quality than World Cup football. Teams have better chemistry as they play together for 8 months out of the year, and it's the best of the best, not best of a country. IMO the atmosphere of a big club match can rival if not be better than a world cup environment. The Arsenal-Man U, Arsenal-Tottenham matches have amazing atmosphere to it.

Common Vocabulary:

Fixtures = Schedule
Table = Standings
Draw = Tie
On the Pitch = On the Field
Manager = Head Coach+GM (Generally makes Personnel Moves)

zitothebrave
07-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Also don't be daunted by the language. as someone on another message board I post on says arguing about pitch vs field is stupid and those who do it are usually hipster douches.

Also tomorrow night 10 PM Sounders/Timbers should be fantastic and will be on ESPN.

The Chosen One
07-13-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm no hipster but I was pointing it out incase some people are confused when players or managers say it in interviews.

Besides the purist in me loves saying on the pitch for some reason.

zitothebrave
07-13-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm no hipster but I was pointing it out incase some people are confused when players or managers say it in interviews.

Besides the purist in me loves saying on the pitch for some reason.

I don't think the ones listed above are that difficult.

People like myself who played soccer growing up called it a field. Cause that's the American terminology. Like why we call it soccer not football. I call it field/pitch pretty indiscriminately. Field from growing up pitch from watching too much BPL.

gilesfan
07-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Following MLS is fun, but following Premier league is a must. Just so much coverage available in the US.

I would take time picking a squad. Just watch as many matches as you can and a team will fall to you.

Have some more thoughts later

yeezus
07-13-2014, 09:20 PM
I plan on going to some Union games now (MLS).
And for the record calling it a pitch is cool.

zitothebrave
07-13-2014, 09:32 PM
I plan on going to some Union games now (MLS).
And for the record calling it a pitch is cool.

I have 2 friends who're Sons of Ben. Cool supporters group. Union just suck right now but that's the nice thing about soccer supporters usually show up no matter the record.

yeezus
07-13-2014, 10:10 PM
I have 2 friends who're Sons of Ben. Cool supporters group. Union just suck right now but that's the nice thing about soccer supporters usually show up no matter the record.

I also hear their stadium is really cool.

zitothebrave
07-13-2014, 10:23 PM
It is I only went once but really liked it. Don't know if it's changed but it used to be kinda sketchy there. May want to consider going by public tranny

AerchAngel
07-13-2014, 10:37 PM
My ex wife and eldest child threw a party on their World Cup win. When they party, they really party, heck my now wife wish she were there with them.

The Chosen One
07-13-2014, 10:45 PM
My ex wife and eldest child threw a party on their World Cup win. When they party, they really party, heck my now wife wish she were there with them.

Are you the father of Jermaine Jones?

Ummmm, is he from Germany and born in the late 80's to early 90's?

My daughter is on the World Cup reserve team, or in the NFL they call it "Practice Squad"

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 01:08 AM
Early life[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jermaine_Jones&action=edit&section=1&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro)]

Jones grew up in Frankfurt-Bonames (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonames_(Frankfurt_am_Main)). His father is an African American U.S. Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army) soldier who was stationed in West Germany. As a child, Jones lived in Chicago, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago,_Illinois) and Greenwood, Mississippi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Mississippi), before his parents divorced and he returned to Germany with his mother.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Jones#cite_note-3)

Hawk
07-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Great thread.

yeezus
07-14-2014, 07:13 AM
It is I only went once but really liked it. Don't know if it's changed but it used to be kinda sketchy there. May want to consider going by public tranny

I love trannies.

sturg33
07-14-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm guessing everyone will go back to not giving a **** until about 2018.

acesfull86
07-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Was at Red Bull Arena on Saturday to witness vintage Thierry Henry...goal and 3 assists like a ******* boss.

Disappointed by the attendance... no WC bump

zitothebrave
07-14-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm guessing everyone will go back to not giving a **** until about 2018.

Some will, some will now be more curious. 5 years ago on scout soccer threads were nothing more than Shab being a braggart, SAV being a Gunner homer, and me talking about US Soccer with some sprinkling here and there. Hopefully the US wins the GOld CUp next year to get an auto bid for the next confederations cup. Most didn't care about that in 2009 and we actually had a fantastic run that should have sparked more interest. I do fully expect soccer to continue growing if not for any reason more than MLS coverage on ESPN. Even super boring **** like World Series of Poker got a huge interest boost that ESPN played a huge part in.

AerchAngel
07-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Early life[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jermaine_Jones&action=edit§ion=1&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro)]

Jones grew up in Frankfurt-Bonames (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonames_(Frankfurt_am_Main)). His father is an African American U.S. Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army) soldier who was stationed in West Germany. As a child, Jones lived in Chicago, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago,_Illinois) and Greenwood, Mississippi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Mississippi), before his parents divorced and he returned to Germany with his mother.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Jones#cite_note-3)

Wife is from Duisburg and we met in Koblenz, not near Frankfurt am Main.

yeezus
07-14-2014, 11:22 AM
I think as the MLS grows, interest in soccer in the USA will grow. MLS has been growing slowly but is getting better and better. I've never been to a game but want to go to a few now that I think I understand the sport better.

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 02:08 PM
No offense against the MLS, but the EPL on NBC is going to be a huge barometer of soccer interest in the USA.

Considering the EPL has a good chunk of the world class players, and it has some of the biggest soccer club notable names as well, I think it's going to be a good measure of interest. MLS will continue to grow as a domestic entertainment level, but people are always going to know that the EPL/Liga etc will have better quality and that MLS will be in part the retirement league for some of the greatest players out there.

That's not to discount MLS' importance to the movement itself because it is important, but I don't see the MLS growing without the EPL growing in popularity. Most casual sports fans in the USA that never have watched soccer already know Manchester United and Liverpool...

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Some will, some will now be more curious. 5 years ago on scout soccer threads were nothing more than Shab being a braggart, SAV being a Gunner homer, and me talking about US Soccer with some sprinkling here and there. Hopefully the US wins the GOld CUp next year to get an auto bid for the next confederations cup. Most didn't care about that in 2009 and we actually had a fantastic run that should have sparked more interest. I do fully expect soccer to continue growing if not for any reason more than MLS coverage on ESPN. Even super boring **** like World Series of Poker got a huge interest boost that ESPN played a huge part in.

Much agreed that this time around things might be a little different.

After the WC 2010, ESPN was only airing a select 1-2 games a week of EPL with very very little promotion.

MLS has been growing steadily for almost a decade now, mainly because they're getting smaller stadiums built besides expecting them to fill up a football stadium.

Now that ESPN has invested so much money in MLS, and that NBC Sports has invested so much in EPL rights, you're going to see them milk it for everything. The problem is FOX has the World Cup rights in 2018, and their coverage of anything sports related is god awful (NFL is passable). ESPN and NBC won't promote the World Cup for FOX, they'll only do it as tie-ins for their own broadcasting rights.

I remember when ESPN first won Nascar TV rights, they had so many Nascar themed studio shows, commercials etc. DOn't think it was a good gamble for them TBH, but it still shows what they can do and how they can influence a market with their resources.

Again not to really overstate NBC's rights to Premier League, but you're guaranteed to get at LEAST 5-6 matches aired live on TV in a week with all the others being able to stream for free on their NBC Sports Extra App and the quality is just as superb. And since there's no territorial blackouts, you KNOW they're going to pretty much air all the marquee match ups, but I'm even more impressed that they give about just as much equal time to the Newcastle's, Stoke City's, West Brom's of the world who aren't as famous but they still treat them as big time. Once the EPL schedule hits full force after Christmas (or their Boxing Day), then games can air on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday throughout the week. Then you have Champions League on FOX and FA Cup as well around that time, and ESPN has been carrying Spanish Liga stuff like El Classico (Madrid v Barcelona matches).

yeezus
07-14-2014, 03:30 PM
No offense against the MLS, but the EPL on NBC is going to be a huge barometer of soccer interest in the USA.

Considering the EPL has a good chunk of the world class players, and it has some of the biggest soccer club notable names as well, I think it's going to be a good measure of interest. MLS will continue to grow as a domestic entertainment level, but people are always going to know that the EPL/Liga etc will have better quality and that MLS will be in part the retirement league for some of the greatest players out there.

That's not to discount MLS' importance to the movement itself because it is important, but I don't see the MLS growing without the EPL growing in popularity. Most casual sports fans in the USA that never have watched soccer already know Manchester United and Liverpool...

Sure, but I think you need American stars to really, REALLY get casual fans interested. You need local MLS markets to thrive to get people in to the sport. I think they need that "local" connection that they get in other sports. Just my opinion.

Krgrecw
07-14-2014, 03:48 PM
To be the naysayer I don't think soccer will ever be big in America. It will always be a niche sport. MLS loses money. Their tv ratings and attendance were both down in 2013. The Best players play overseas. There is no competitive college level.

Soccer is a low scoring game and Americans aren't interested in low scoring games. They hate boring pitching duels in baseball and all soccer games are like that. 45 minutes in a half is way to long to keep people's attention that already aren't to interested in the sport. Americans like aggression, hitting, scoring, knock outs, watching big names compete , and sportscenter moments in Thier sports. Soccer really offers none of that.

People that like soccer in America will follow it but the converts to soccer that stick with it will be low. Soccers always been the most played sport in America yet it's never broken through. Never will. For soccer to get big over here it would need to be 'Americanized'

You realize that a typical Monday Night Raw has over 10x the viewers of an average soccer game on EsPn. 10x

The EPL could get bigger in America but MLS not so much.

sturg33
07-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Every world cup folks think Soccer is ready to grow in US, and every 4 years everybody stops caring.

Think of the olympics. I tune in to watch a swim meet, but I don't start caring about swimming when it's over.

It is what it is.

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Sure, but I think you need American stars to really, REALLY get casual fans interested. You need local MLS markets to thrive to get people in to the sport. I think they need that "local" connection that they get in other sports. Just my opinion.

Not necessarily. I mean nearly every soccer fan in the usa knows Messi and Ronaldo. The newbies learned who they were after FIFA and ESPN made this the Messi Cup. In NFL people will watch Peyton or Brady play no matter what market and same for NBA with LeBron or Kobe.

Local heroes are nice but aren't necessary since Soccer is more of a team sport than any of those other US sports. It's nice to have a go to guy but I've found in soccer especially Europe it's more about the club than player. The exceptions being of course an Henry ( despite zeets insistance that Henry is not a big name), Messi, Ronaldo who can carry a team.

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Every world cup folks think Soccer is ready to grow in US, and every 4 years everybody stops caring.

Think of the olympics. I tune in to watch a swim meet, but I don't start caring about swimming when it's over.

It is what it is.

Since 2002 it's been growing steadily every world cup. The market is proof of that as before 2006 world cup, club soccer was almost nonexistent on basic cable and the premium tier package only had 1 channel for soccer. Fast forward 8 years later and US cable networks are paying big money for bidding on soccer.

Nbc with EPL, Espn and Fox with MLS, Fox with champions league and fa cup, espn with select la liga matches and beinTV.

It's growing steady. Yes a lot of people are US Men's soccer fans but each world cup more fans use the world cup as a segue to club elite soccer.

yeezus
07-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Look at the ratings for yesterday's game. Speaks for itself.

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 04:23 PM

It is what it is.

2002, World Cup matches in Korea are between midnight and 6 am.

2005, Fox Soccer Channel gets bigger, begins showing more original content instead of simulcast feeds from Europe.

2006, World Cup ratings in USA get huge, despite terrible performances in Germany.

2007-2012, ESPN airs more MLS games, FA Cup matches, La Liga matches, and some Champions League.

2010, Fox airs Champions League final on BIG FOX, no longer on Fox Soccer Channel.

2010, USA ratings for World Cup gets even bigger, thanks to matches vs. England, and a comeback win against Algeria. US-Ghana match is one of the highest rated soccer matches of all time.

Post 2006, ESPN increases soccer coverage to include more US Men's National matches/friendlies/tournaments.

2013, NBC wins bidding rights with a 3 year deal with the Barclay's Premier League to air matches exclusively on NBC Universal. First time ever any network has aired more than 2 matches per week of European Soccer, which includes up to 4 matches on Saturday, 2-3 on Sunday and 1 on Monday.

2014, ESPN and FOX join forces to make largest bid for soccer in an American TV Contract with MLS.

2014, FOX agreeds to extend contract with the FA Cup, agreeing to expand coverage to more of it's sister networks.

2014, World Cup produces highest TV ratings in US history, with the Ghana game averaging more in the NY Market than a Jets' home game.

2006-Present, Major League Soccer almost doubles the size of it's league with a new expansion team named every year, and new stadiums built exclusively for soccer.

If you think the trend developing here is soccer not growing, well...

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 04:33 PM
To be the naysayer I don't think soccer will ever be big in America. It will always be a niche sport. MLS loses money. Their tv ratings and attendance were both down in 2013. The Best players play overseas. There is no competitive college level.

Soccer is a low scoring game and Americans aren't interested in low scoring games. They hate boring pitching duels in baseball and all soccer games are like that. 45 minutes in a half is way to long to keep people's attention that already aren't to interested in the sport. Americans like aggression, hitting, scoring, knock outs, watching big names compete , and sportscenter moments in Thier sports. Soccer really offers none of that.

People that like soccer in America will follow it but the converts to soccer that stick with it will be low. Soccers always been the most played sport in America yet it's never broken through. Never will. For soccer to get big over here it would need to be 'Americanized'

You realize that a typical Monday Night Raw has over 10x the viewers of an average soccer game on EsPn. 10x

The EPL could get bigger in America but MLS not so much.

That's a terrible assumption.

Again, there's nothing high scoring about an NFL game except for the fact that 1 point actually pretty much means 7.

A 21-14 NFL game is really 3-2, in the same way a 35-7 blowout is 5-1.

And just because some soccer matches are low scoring do not make them the equivalent to a pitcher's duel at all. I've seen matches where a team has 80% possession but can't score because of defensive luck or a great keeper performance. I've also seen a match where a team has 60-40 possession and loses 1-0.

The excitement about soccer is the development of the play, not just the finish. You've been brainwashed into thinking that scoring is the end all because of US Sports Media. Durant and Carmelo are big scorers because they throw up so many shots, not because they're efficient. People criticize LeBron for not scoring when he's the closest thing to Magic Johnson we've seen. People loved Steve Nash because he played the game differently and was a great distributor, not because he was a scorer. Made all of his teammates better. The Spurs absolutely dominated the Heat in the finals, but not many people will admit it and say their brand of basketball isn't beautiful.

Most MLB games are low scoring, watching our own Braves for the most of the last two decades is proof of that.

zitothebrave
07-14-2014, 05:59 PM

Well he may not be American 100% but Julian Green will be a star by most considerations. 19 year olds who almost break the Bayern first team are not a long list. Thomas Muller wasn't fully on board til his 19 year old season. Julian Green, John Brooks and if we get him Zelalem will be stars. Deandre Yedlin will be an American born and raised star. Michael Bradley is a star.

I think what MLS needs is to just embrace the big market teams. **** parity. Parity plays in the NFL but instead of shooting for parity let LA, Seattle, New York, etc. go spending crazy. Keep the big markets fully invested, to keep some parity have the small clubs gain extra draftpicks.

I think in a few years you'll see the class of MLS rise. Hopefully MLS will be smart as well and lets kids go to Europe as it's reputation builds so does the asking price which means as the asking price builds they can invest that money into either bigger names or into scouting. I think that tapping the inner city youth is important. When you're looking at someone who isn't a James, Durant, etc. someone who's good but will likely get a ride to a college and maybe play overseas or semi-pro in the US. Instead try to get him young into soccer. That's where the big boys have the biggest potential impact. Imagine getting a 14 year old kid telling him if he signs with us he still goes to school, we'll pay for college if he wants or he can play professional ball for real money.

zitothebrave
07-14-2014, 06:02 PM
To be the naysayer I don't think soccer will ever be big in America. It will always be a niche sport.

That may be your most wrong prediction ever. Even more than Apple stocks being over 1000. Even if you ignore the growing trend in the 20 year old white male population of soccer rising. Even if you throw that out the window. The hispanic demographic is going to take over America. Not likely to exceed whites but likely to challenge it in a way no minority ever has. You think the hispanic community will leave soccer behind for Football, Basketball or Baseball? Well maybe baseball but not that likely. Sure it may not be a boom for MLS (though it likely will) but it will be a growing interest. By 2050 I'll say soccer is at worst the 3rd most popular sport in US.

The Chosen One
07-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Hispanics are singlehandedly carrying the Houston Dynamo's attendance sheets, last I checked which was quite some time ago lol.

zitothebrave
08-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Looking at the US under 21 club one small thing that makes me smile, there are 2 kids in Premier league squads ok well 1 premier league squad and one former premier league squad. Cody Cropper who may be the US goalie next World Cup plays for Southampton (well in the academy but he could be their backup and has been called up a few times already) And Will Packwood plays for Birmingham City.

Also nice is that most of the kids are on professional squads, not college teams.

goldfly
08-10-2014, 02:55 AM

It is what it is.

you're an idiot if you don't think soccer continues to grow in this country

it is a fad for some

but it has grown so much and continues to grow in this country. it's crazy how far it has come since the 94 cup

zitothebrave
01-11-2018, 09:15 AM
By 2050 I'll say soccer is at worst the 3rd most popular sport in US.

Resurrecting this thread to find this post. Looks like I was wrong. Looks like it may be the 3rd most popular sport sooner as it's more popular to watch on TV than baseball in the U-66 age group.