PDA

View Full Version : DOTW 7/22/13: Which pitcher should Beachy replace?

weso1
07-22-2013, 02:15 PM
And to go along with this question, do you think Wood should be in the rotation as well? And if so which two pitchers are out of luck.

bravesfan247
07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Beachy replaces Medlen and Wood replaces Maholm. Put them both in pen unless traded. Id also release Maholm if necessary.

Dalyn
07-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Medlen being replaced by Beachy and being sent to the bullpen is the best move for the team. It might make the rotation slightly stronger to replace Maholm, but the gain in the bullpen from Medlen would likely be a huge one. Wood should stay in the minors unless he goes back to the bullpen or someone goes on the DL.

nsacpi
07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Medlen being replaced by Beachy and being sent to the bullpen is the best move for the team. It might make the rotation slightly stronger to replace Maholm, but the gain in the bullpen from Medlen would likely be a huge one. Wood should stay in the minors unless he goes back to the bullpen or someone goes on the DL.

What would you expect out of Beachy in the second half if he were in the rotation?

What would you expect out of Medlen if he were in the rotation? If he were in the pen?

emk418
07-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Medlen to the pen obviously helps this team a lot this year but it's killing his value. I'd rather trade Medlen then put him in the pen. But I would love to get Wood and Beachy in the rotation.

parkvadawg
07-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Yep the only person that NEEDS to be replaced is Paul. Trade him or put him in the pen. Maybe we have the luxury of putting Meds in the pen but folks should be ready for a disappointment if y'all really think Wood will come up and dominate.

Dalyn
07-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Yep the only person that NEEDS to be replaced is Paul. Trade him or put him in the pen. Maybe we have the luxury of putting Meds in the pen but folks should be ready for a disappointment if y'all really think Wood will come up and dominate.

Wood definitely needs to stay out of the rotation this year.

Dalyn
07-22-2013, 02:56 PM
What would you expect out of Beachy in the second half if he were in the rotation?

What would you expect out of Medlen if he were in the rotation? If he were in the pen?

I am also fine with Beachy heading to the bullpen. Medlen is going to be Medlen. For this year, I think it helps the team more to move him to the bullpen.

PawPawMaxwell
07-22-2013, 03:01 PM
At this point I wouldnt bet that either of Beachy or Wood goes to the rotation. IMO the moves with both are more in preparation in case of trade or injury. Too far into the season to write off Medlen, looks like Maholm has regressed to the norm but his time in Atlanta is limited anyway. Hudson may or may not be back next year.

nsacpi
07-22-2013, 03:02 PM
I am curious what everyone would expect out of Medlen, Wood, Beachy and Maholm if they were in the rotation. Let's pick a common reference point (say xFIP) and lay our cards on the table.

I'll go first:

Medlen 3.6
Wood 3.3
Beachy 3.6
Maholm 3.9

Gary82
07-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd be interested to see how Wood handles being in the rotation. They should probably put Maholm on the DL, and give Wood a couple of starts. As far as Beachy, I'm not 100 percent sold that he is ready. I'd hate to take Medlen out of the rotation, regardless of the fact that his last two starts have been poor.

PawPawMaxwell
07-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Another point of consideration concerning Wood, did they send him down to get a handle on his emotions. I.E., slow it down or get put on Ridilin.

nsacpi
07-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Even though I think Wood would do very well, the plan I would follow would be as follows:

1) Maholm to DL or pen

2) Give Beachy and Medlen three or four starts*

3) In mid-August send the less effective of Beachy/Medlen to the pen and replace with Wood.

Our pen would eventually be Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, lefty to be acquired, one of Beachy/Medlen, Maholm, one of Carpenter/Varvaro/Loe/Ayala

*If Beachy and Medlen are both light out in those starts or Wood struggles in AAA, skip part 3.

TURBO
07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 1m

#Braves DL Maholm, will start Alex Wood on Thursday. Maholm only wrist contusion, not fracture.

The Chosen One
07-22-2013, 04:55 PM
I don't like the idea of sending Medlen down.

He said that pitching in the pen induced more stress on his arm which lead to TJ surgery.

He still has plenty of potential to pitch dominantly like he did last year. If he did it before he can do it again.

stpeteirish
07-22-2013, 05:12 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 1m

#Braves DL Maholm, will start Alex Wood on Thursday. Maholm only wrist contusion, not fracture.

great, hope we never see Maholm start another game. But that depends on Wood and Beachy.

emk418
07-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Beachy has looked very good his last two rehab outings. I know he won't be 100% this year but he is our best SP when healthy. So it's tempting to get him back in the rotation. I also don't want to mess with him coming back from TJ and now make him throw back to back days in the bullpen. I think we should just trade Maholm for whatever we can get, pick up a lefty reliever, and stick with Wood in the rotation until Beachy forces our hand.

Carp
07-22-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't like the idea of sending Medlen down.

He said that pitching in the pen induced more stress on his arm which lead to TJ surgery.

He still has plenty of potential to pitch dominantly like he did last year. If he did it before he can do it again.

This.

He had the lowest ERA in the rotation at the start of July. Now after 3 July starts he's apparently no better than a rookie who has made 1 career start in the majors.

weso1
07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Just got Mike'd itt. Thanks Sav.

The Chosen One
07-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Hudson. :YDS:

Dalyn
07-26-2013, 12:00 PM

I think Beachy would equal Medlen's production in the rotation. I think Medlen would dwarf Beachy's production in the bullpen.

NinersSBChamps
07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Beachy should replace everyone in the rotation except JT and MM.

Dalyn
07-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Beachy should replace everyone in the rotation except JT and MM.

Beachy
Minor
Beachy
Teheran
Beachy

That is a strong rotation.

NinersSBChamps
07-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Beachy
Minor
Beachy
Teheran
Beachy

That is a strong rotation.

That looks pretty good to me. I'd just change the order in which they pitch. Coming off TJ surgery should make Beachy ultra strong.

Beachy, Beachy, Minor, Teheran, Beachy.