The Chosen One
10-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Chuck James was awesome.

Julio3000
10-08-2014, 09:51 PM
I'M CHUCK JAMES, BITCH.

weso1
10-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I understand why you didn't do it, but I personally would love for this to be posted on the braves discussion forum. A legit grump.

zitothebrave
10-09-2014, 06:37 AM
TOMMY HANSON HAS GOOD MECHANICS, FTW!!!

First I want to say, shocked Carpe doesn't understand the point of this thread. Totally shocked

Second you're missing a big one

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/anthony_lerew_autograph.jpg

BRule
10-09-2014, 09:18 AM
First I want to say, shocked Carpe doesn't understand the point of this thread. Totally shocked

Second you're missing a big one

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/anthony_lerew_autograph.jpg

Lol, I assumed most wouldn't understand but I'm glad my target did.

****.....totally forgot about Lerew.....I heart him : (

The Chosen One
10-09-2014, 09:23 AM
BRule had a bad string of luck there for a while with his golden picks.

Lerew
Thorman avatar
Chuck James as well?
Oh and Sebastian Telfair.

BRule
10-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Chuck James isn't me, it's Zito, as are Davies, Devine, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

yeezus
10-09-2014, 11:42 AM
To be fair, Kyle Davies was going to be really good, but not being good at all held him back.

zitothebrave
10-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Chuck James isn't me, it's Zito, as are Davies, Devine, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

In my defense. Chuck James was a love affair of mine before I was too into stats and thought ERA was the ****. Didn't look at his super low K rate in the minors and think a thing, afterall a few people bucked the trend. Womp womp.

Devine was great, he just had absolute **** for mechanics.

Davies, eh, I loved him, but he sucked in the majors. Probably had to do with his groin injury, to go on that point, he had an issue with leaving the ball up, he was probably not going into full extension (stretch? Not sure the right word) and that may have been an issue.

At least I sniffed out the real turds like Jo Jo Reyes that Bill Shanks was trying to sell us as being good.

I think we can all say, we all blindly fall in love with fuggos. But at least we agree, Jason Heyward is mother****ing P-I-M-P

sturg33
10-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Chuck James hat a great K rate in the minors. 675Ks in 615 IPs

The Chosen One
10-09-2014, 07:36 PM
James was still a solid pitcher for us when you throw out his Minor-like knack for giving up the long ball. In many ways they're very similar pitchers.

zitothebrave
10-09-2014, 09:22 PM

Yeah, I just looked at it, I seem to remember it being lower than that. Guess statistically the hype was there, but I wasn't that in love with him when I watched him pitch more and more. I mean I liked him as a person a lot, but I didn't like him as a talent as much after he got to the majors. He had a tip on his best pitch.

zitothebrave
10-09-2014, 09:23 PM
James was still a solid pitcher for us when you throw out his Minor-like knack for giving up the long ball. In many ways they're very similar pitchers.

Saying Minor is Similar to James is like saying Vlad is similar to Francoeur.

weso1
10-09-2014, 09:32 PM
James lacked command.

The Chosen One
10-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Saying Minor is Similar to James is like saying Vlad is similar to Francoeur.

Their starts can look similar.

James had the Jorge Sosa/Julio 2013 syndrome of only making it to the 5th and sometimes 6th.

When James was on, he looked as good as Minor. But Minor can sometimes get to the 7th and 8th whereas James couldn't. When James was bad, he looks every bit as bad as Minor does. Homeruns, no control, get hit hard.

Carp
10-09-2014, 11:43 PM

More things Zito is wrong about. FTW!

zitothebrave
10-10-2014, 06:35 AM
More things Zito is wrong about. FTW!

If there's anyone on this board who has no room to talk about being wrong, it's you. You're wrong everytime you post. You're so wrong that Carpe and Wrong have become synonymous. Wake me up when Jake Locker has amounted to anything in the NFL.

zitothebrave
10-10-2014, 06:40 AM

James had the Jorge Sosa/Julio 2013 syndrome of only making it to the 5th and sometimes 6th.

When James was on, he looked as good as Minor. But Minor can sometimes get to the 7th and 8th whereas James couldn't. When James was bad, he looks every bit as bad as Minor does. Homeruns, no control, get hit hard.

No, their stats aren't similar at all. I'll pick on James's first 3 years vs Minor's career even if there's some sampling issues.

James's first 3 years he compiled a fine ERA 4.00, good for a 110 ERA+ but the Cracks had shown before that, 6.7 K/9 3.4 BB/9 1.6 HR/9. Good for a 5.28 FIP. Minor's ERA isn't as good, his career ERA 4.10 and his ERA+ is 93, but Minor has much stronger peripherals. 7.8 K/9 2.6 BB/9 1.1 HR/9 which is why his FIP is 3.90. Minor is a much stronger pitcher than James. He doesn't have the ERA James had, but his peripherals are so much better which is why he goes deeper into games. Call it a hunch, but I think James's ERA was boosted because of Bobby knowing when to pull him out of games before he imploded.

The Chosen One
10-10-2014, 07:38 AM
No, their stats aren't similar at all. I'll pick on James's first 3 years vs Minor's career even if there's some sampling issues.

James's first 3 years he compiled a fine ERA 4.00, good for a 110 ERA+ but the Cracks had shown before that, 6.7 K/9 3.4 BB/9 1.6 HR/9. Good for a 5.28 FIP. Minor's ERA isn't as good, his career ERA 4.10 and his ERA+ is 93, but Minor has much stronger peripherals. 7.8 K/9 2.6 BB/9 1.1 HR/9 which is why his FIP is 3.90. Minor is a much stronger pitcher than James. He doesn't have the ERA James had, but his peripherals are so much better which is why he goes deeper into games. Call it a hunch, but I think James's ERA was boosted because of Bobby knowing when to pull him out of games before he imploded.

I didn't say stats, I said their starts. You know, Medlen can never get close to Maddux's stats but when we watched him go on that roll in 2012, we all said "it's like watching Maddux pitch".

I'm going by the eye test. When they both struggled, they both had similar tendencies to give up long balls, walk guys, and get hit hard.

Their stuff is kind of similar. James was low 90's fastball, a change and a curve. Minor is the same way, although Santana taught him somewhat of a cutter.

THere were times BObby left Chuckie in too long as well.

BRule
10-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Jorge ****ing Sosa

BRule
10-10-2014, 10:30 AM
If there's anyone on this board who has no room to talk about being wrong, it's you. You're wrong everytime you post. You're so wrong that Carpe and Wrong have become synonymous. Wake me up when Jake Locker has amounted to anything in the NFL.

Jim Brown would be Brandon Jacobs in todays game.

ALL OF THE LULZ

zitothebrave
10-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Jim Brown would be Brandon Jacobs in todays game.

ALL OF THE LULZ

Hahah I forgot about that one in all the stupidity that's happened since.

BRule
10-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Never forget.

zitothebrave
10-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Kind of like when he said Hosmer is very good.

keithlaw
10-12-2014, 07:50 PM
and a plus changeup

Metaphysicist
10-13-2014, 04:09 PM
I think my very first post on Scout was in praise of Russ Ortiz.

Heyward
10-14-2014, 07:04 PM

LOL

zitothebrave
10-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I think my very first post on Scout was in praise of Russ Ortiz.

My first screen name was the antithesis of that.

cajunrevenge
10-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Its ridiculous to say Bobby knew when to pull him. It was pretty clear early on he was a 5 inning starter. Bobby kept running him out there for the 6th and he would get hammered. Almost every game was 5 inning 1 run, with the lead, then comes back for the 6th and ends up with 5.1 innings pitched 3-4 runs given up and we now trail. It was like NLDS game 4 when Fredi brought Carpenter in for the 8th. We all knew how it was going to end, but this was every Chuck James start. I still can't understand why 5.1 innings and trailing is better than 5 innings and the lead on the off chance that he actually made it to the 6th. I know our pen wasn't the best at the time but we probably could have got better results putting a position player on the mound than bringing James back for the 6th.

I was really big on James at the time. I think he was a fine pitcher when he came up. If not for injuries I think he would have had a solid career as a long reliever.

BRule
10-16-2014, 08:46 AM

I have a friend who still thinks Hosmer is very good.....

zitothebrave
10-16-2014, 09:17 AM
I have a friend who still thinks Hosmer is very good.....

Hosmer could easily turn it around, and he had a good yaer his rookie year and 2013, but he was trainwreck bad in 2012 and worse than BJ last year.