PDA

View Full Version : Google Chromecast

TURBO
07-25-2013, 12:50 AM
This thing seems pretty sweet. Basically turns any Tv with an HDMI input into a smart TV. And It includes 3 months of netflix to new and existing customers. This would cover most of the cost of the device which is only $35. I picked up one. Amazon has already run out of stock though...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DR0PDNE/ref=tv_srch_google?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=EFDF31B283A048B2B1B9&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1586791162&pf_rd_i=chromecast

DjGrizz
07-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Thinkin about getting one. Cheaper then a Roku or a blu-ray player. Hopefully they offer more content then just netflix even though that's what I would primarily use it for

Bj1133
07-25-2013, 06:21 AM
I have a 60 inch Vizio Smart TV but have never used any of its features other than just watching TV. What am I missing out on? Is it just the ability to stream shows from Netflix or is it something more?

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Whne it fully works with Chrome on your laptop (and I see evidence) I'll be on it. I want to watch Hulu (not Hulu plus) on my TV and if that gives me that functionality I'll take it.

Only bummer is I just bought a Roku 3 so I will be doubling up my devices. Probably will stick with the Roku for Netflix and Hulu plus since I'm guessing the mirroring will not transmit the audio but we shall see.

Krgrecw
07-25-2013, 09:20 AM
it's overrated. Spend $40-$50 bucks more and you can get many devices that do a lot more. This is basically a Netflix/Hulu/ music player.

I doubt you'll be able to watch a good quality of Hulu if at all with this. Content providers will still block thier programs.

Guess googles admitting Google TV is dead.

Zito, I'm surprised you didn't take a dig at the Apple TV and say how this contraption will be better

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Why would I take a dig at Apple TV? Different device. This is cheaper and only real feature similarity is that it does mirroring much better than Apple TV and it has Netflix and is much smaller and less invasive.

TURBO
07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
it's overrated. Spend $40-$50 bucks more and you can get many devices that do a lot more. This is basically a Netflix/Hulu/ music player.

I doubt you'll be able to watch a good quality of Hulu if at all with this. Content providers will still block thier programs.

Zito, I'm surprised you didn't take a dig at the Apple TV and say how this contraption will be better

I agree there are better devices, but this is only $35 and you get 3 free months of Netflix streaming. In the end it cost me less then $20.

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Now that I'm done work I'll actually address your various points.

Why spend 40-50 bucks more for something that does more? With Full HD Support Netflix, and mirroring from Android, iOS and Chrome, who needs to spend much more? I love my Roku cause it does get me some more stuff, but with chrome mirroring being fully functional (if it is) then it's totally no longer necessary to own a Roku aside from the fun of it.

Riddle me this, what can you do on Apple TV that you can't do on this aside from iTunes music and movies?

This isn't a competitor to Google TV. This is something to compete with Roku and Apple TV more directly Google TV is a different monster. Google TV isn't just about giving you Hulu, Netflix, movies, and music, it's primarily functioning to increase your use out of your own TV. XBox One is using similar technology so it's indicating that Google TV is gaining ground in it's style.

Carp
07-25-2013, 11:06 PM
I love my 42 inch Sony Google TV personally. It's basically a huge smart phone.

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I loved my Google TV but when I cancelled cable it was killed in it's ideal usage so I switched to the Roku. Because of it being newer tech it runs better. But of course this coming out kind of makes me wish I didn't get the Roku.

Krgrecw
07-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Google just did away with the 'three free months of Netflix' with the purchase of this product. That's kinda messed up
reviews are starting to come in saying the sound doesn't sync up 100% so its bothersome and you need a pretty fast wifi for this to work correctly. Google also had a better and more expensive version of this but was afraid to release it since they were afraid of releasing another dud.

zitothebrave
07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Google didn't "Do away" with the Netflix promo, it was just that, a promo. Hints to very strong pre-order numbers.

And you need fast wifi for pretty much anything to work properly.

gilesfan
07-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Why would someone buy this over an AppleTV? I haven't seen anyone answer that? I stream whatever I want to the tv, watch MLB.tv, Netflix, ESPN3, music, movies, pandora, pretty much anything I want.

DjGrizz
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Because its cheaper

gilesfan
07-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Because its cheaper

It's $65 cheaper and doesn't do half the stuff, right?

zitothebrave
07-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Only thing it doesn't do that Apple TV does (or won't cause Hulu+ support coming soon) is support iTunes and some apps. But support from a laptop with Chrome can easily get you most of the missing apps like MLB.tv. And for things that it can do unlike Apple TV is support both iOS and Android devices. Of course there could be issues with supporting Chrome fully.

DjGrizz
07-26-2013, 09:56 AM

You asked what would possibly make someone want to buy this over Apple TV. And I answered because its cheaper.

I think I did a pretty good job of answering your question

gilesfan
07-26-2013, 10:05 AM
You asked what would possibly make someone want to buy this over Apple TV. And I answered because its cheaper.

I think I did a pretty good job of answering your question

I get that. But, if I ask why someone would buy a 22 inch tv instead of a 50 inch flatscreen, is the answer "its cheaper" enough to warrant the purchase?

DjGrizz
07-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I get that. But, if I ask why someone would buy a 22 inch tv instead of a 50 inch flatscreen, is the answer "its cheaper" enough to warrant the purchase?

Fair enough but I suspect they will add content to the google chromecast.

zitothebrave
07-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Comparisons are not your strength

Carolina Kid
07-26-2013, 01:17 PM
It seems it's sold out everywhere I look. Anyone got a lead on where I can buy this *****?

zitothebrave
07-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Just wait they'll release more. You can get them off eBay but for 100 bucks and that's stupid

I think the play store is still selling them. They're just backordered there

Krgrecw
07-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Zito forgot to say that it doesn't stream games like the Apple TV does. that's pretty big.
It also doesn't have dedicated apps like the Apple TV does. Mirroring off of a computer to a TV is not great quality. A built in app on the appletv is perfect. That's why hbo never allowed 'airplay' until recently. Looks like ****.
Googles also pissed a lot of content providers off by not doing anything about limiting piracy. They're not exactly lining up to google. Rumor has it they may do the opposite and disable thier videos from working on this.

zitothebrave
07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
People play iOS/Android games on their TV?

As far as the whole apps thing, when money is involved people will slide the apps over. There's money to be made everywhere, they'll make money in Chromecast with the rate it's selling.

Krgrecw
07-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Yeah they do. A lot.
Gabe Newell of Steam said the Apple TV is the future of gaming.

Electronic Arts made more money from the Apple AppStore than any other retail distributor including best buy, GameStop and its own download service.

zitothebrave
07-31-2013, 09:45 PM
HBO Go coming to Chromecast.

Guess all the companies are really shying away?

Carolina Kid
08-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Still can't find anywhere to buy this damn thing!

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 08:59 AM
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

Ships in 3-4 weeks from Google

Krgrecw
08-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Believe it when you see it. 'Hulus been coming to google tv' for years.

Hbogo is 'exploring' chromecast. that doesn't mean they are working on it. Cable providers hate google for allowing piracy. I'll be shocked if TWC does this.

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Lol that's not what they said

We are actively exploring supporting Chromecast as another way for our subscribers to enjoy HBO Go, but at this point we can’t comment on specific plans regarding timing.

Basically they won't say when the app is out, but they're gonna make one as long as it logistically works.

Krgrecw
08-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Jesus. They said 'exploring' they didn't say they were working on one. You just repeated what I said

zitothebrave
11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Jesus. They said 'exploring' they didn't say they were working on one. You just repeated what I said

So Chromecast has HBO Go support.

So with that Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora what else is really missing from this vs Apple TV aside from sports?

Of course I'll take Roku over either.

Also the APple TV Netflix app is the worst. Not a fan of Hulu either.

Krgrecw
11-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Still shocked that TWC put HBogo on chromecast. Id be more shocked if Disney put Thier stuff on chromecast.

The big difference other than iCloud, where all your personal stuff easily is accessible, is the higher quality and more abundant apps in the apple App Store. You can do a lot more. It plays games.

Apple had two video game controllers coming out so the Apple TV is now a game system with airplay. You can't stream games on the chromecast.

zitothebrave
11-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Who plays games onthier TV? Like how many different versions of angry birds do you need?

I'm guessing more people have apple TV for the hulu and Netflix than any other reason.

zitothebrave
04-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Chromecast continues to get more app support, Plex, Vevo, Songza, Crackle, Vudi, Rdio, and BBC iPlayer out, Chromecast keeps adding support. I also believe they just recently or are soon planning on making public release of code for app building. Menaing a lot more cool apps will come. In theory you could with quality coding turn any smartphone into a gaming capability similar to the WiiU in it's controller function. Would require great coding, but would make for some amazing games if it does.