PDA

View Full Version : Official off-season trade rumor and suggestion thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Enscheff
11-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Starling Marte is owed $28.5M through 2019, can play CF, and hit .291/.356/.453/.808 last year with 30 SBs. The only reason he plays LF for the Pirates is because that guy McCutchen already plays CF, and I hear he's a decent little ballplayer.

The Pirates biggest needs this offseason are in the starting rotation after losing Liriano and Volquez, and at C after Martin left as a FA. They could also upgrade at 1B and save some cash by cutting loose Gabby Sanchez and/or Ike Davis.

So, what would you give the Bucs for Marte? Would Minor plus Gattis get them listening? Would you consider including Peraza, who might be a cheaper/better option for them in the middle infield over Walker and Mercer? Would someone like Wood or Teheran be in play if Lester were signed?

Deester11
11-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Starling Marte is owed $28.5M through 2019, can play CF, and hit .291/.356/.453/.808 last year with 30 SBs. The only reason he plays LF for the Pirates is because that guy McCutchen already plays CF, and I hear he's a decent little ballplayer.

The Pirates biggest needs this offseason are in the starting rotation after losing Liriano and Volquez, and at C after Martin left as a FA. They could also upgrade at 1B and save some cash by cutting loose Gabby Sanchez and/or Ike Davis.

So, what would you give the Bucs for Marte? Would Minor plus Gattis get them listening? Would you consider including Peraza, who might be a cheaper/better option for them in the middle infield over Walker and Mercer? Would someone like Wood or Teheran be in play if Lester were signed?
I like Marte enough, but I'm not listening if Teheran is on the table. I may be in the minority, but were it not for crappy run support, Teheran's W-L would make it a hard sell alone....not to mention he's just tapping into his talent. NO. Peraza? I get that prospects are just that, but assuming he pans out, I'm not apt to get rid of him. Lester to me is a luxury when you have other areas on the team needing improvement anyway.

emk418
11-19-2014, 01:44 PM

i like Marte but would not even consider parting with Teheran/Wood/Peraza

50PoundHead
11-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Not that big a Marte fan, but he'd certainly be an upgrade to everyone slated for our OF except J. Upton. Price would probably be too high for consideration. Like others here, I don't put Teheran, Wood, or Peraza on the table.

tomahawkchop10
11-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Would Minor, Bethancourt, and Simms get them interested? Wouldn't want to give up wood, teheran, or peraza. Also would like to keep Gattis' power.

emk418
11-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Would Minor, Bethancourt, and Simms get them interested? Wouldn't want to give up wood, teheran, or peraza. Also would like to keep Gattis' power.

Still not something I'd be interested in. Marte's a solid player but not worth Minor/CB/Sims

Enscheff
11-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Still not something I'd be interested in. Marte's a solid player but not worth Minor/CB/Sims

Solid player? He has posted a WAR of 5.5 and 5.1 over the past 2 seasons, can play CF, and is the same age as Heyward...all for about $3.5M per year through the 2019 season.

He worth WAY more than Peraza. I would say Teheran for Marte straight up would be about fair.

nsacpi
11-19-2014, 02:19 PM
A four WAR player with his contract is very valuable. OTOH the Pirates need a starting pitcher and a catcher. Minor plus Gattis for Marte might be something both sides could live with.

Carp
11-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Doubt the Pirates are looking to trade him. So whatever deal you think is fair probably won't even keep them on the phone.

Deester11
11-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Solid player? He has posted a WAR of 5.5 and 5.1 over the past 2 seasons, can play CF, and is the same age as Heyward...all for about $3.5M per year through the 2019 season.

He worth WAY more than Peraza. I would say Teheran for Marte straight up would be about fair. Perhaps the trade of JHey doesn't really signify that the Braves care about pitching more than a player of Marte's caliber? LOL. Seriously, NO and more no to trading Teheran. I don't care if they hung up or not.

Jay212033
11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
I'd rather trade for Polonco! Dude's gonna be a beast

Heyward
11-19-2014, 05:12 PM
They arent trading him so useless to talk about.

Dalyn
11-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Considering what we got for Heyward, I guess I would part with Hale and Graham.

emk418
11-19-2014, 06:00 PM

:facepalm:

Dalyn
11-19-2014, 06:41 PM

:Alone:

CyYoung31
11-19-2014, 07:38 PM

They'd have to throw in Mark Melancon as well.

Chico
11-20-2014, 11:35 AM
A four WAR player with his contract is very valuable. OTOH the Pirates need a starting pitcher and a catcher. Minor plus Gattis for Marte might be something both sides could live with.

This is not a bad idea. The Bucs need another lefty in their rotation and a bridge to Jameson Tallion and Tyler Glasnow. With Snider in LF Until Josh Bell is ready) and Cervelli at catcher Gattis could get plenty of Ab's. It would also complete the young controllable talent and defense up the middle mindset we're looking to do.

I doubt it would happen, but it does make sense.

NinersSBChamps
11-20-2014, 02:21 PM

He's one of my favorite players in baseball. I would love to have Marte here. Minor, Black Hole, and a good prospect to Pittsburgh. Obviously we eat some salary from the Black Hole contract.

bravesfanforlife88
11-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Peraza still a half season or so away and with a need to get rid of bj upton.

Braves get: Brandon Phillips and prospect (Rodriguez? )
Reds get: BJ and minor and cash

Phillips owed 39 mil through the end of 2017 while bj is owed 48 over the same time frame. Adding minor and cash would sweeten the deal for them as they would be getting a solid starting pitcher with a few years control

rico43
11-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Phillips owed 39 mil through the end of 2017 while bj is owed 48 over the same time frame. Adding minor and cash would sweeten the deal for them as they would be getting a solid starting pitcher with a few years control

Who'd be making that decision for the Reds? Marge Schott? Reds hate Phillips' contact, but the fans there love Phillips.

rico43
11-20-2014, 05:55 PM
This is ONLY for speculation, rumor, innuendo. No actual post-trade discussion.

GovClintonTyree
11-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Who'd be making that decision for the Reds? Marge Schott? Reds hate Phillips' contact, but the fans there love Phillips.

They shouldn't. He sucks.

GovClintonTyree
11-20-2014, 06:07 PM

If we're going to give Minor to get rid of Melvin, I want a broken Louisville Slugger and a box of balls back, not another problem contract. Phillips is the type of hitter we need to avoid, anyway. Low OBP and iffy alleged power. We got lots of those.

Hawk
11-20-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm going to go ahead and christen this new rumor thread:

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/upton14.jpg

Heyward
11-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Are Trout or Kershaw available, we should trade for them.

:Alone:

NinersSBChamps
11-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Off season speculation.

Our team isn't very good.

Heyward
11-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Off season speculation.

Our team isn't very good.

I like our rotation, hitting is god awful though.

NinersSBChamps
11-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I like our rotation, hitting is god awful though.

Yeah I like our rotation save for one pitcher. Overall it's fine though.

Heyward
11-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Yeah I like our rotation save for one pitcher. Overall it's fine though.

Minor i assume?

NinersSBChamps
11-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Minor i assume?

Absolutely. He is a decent fourth option because he's pretty cheap and under contractual control. I hope he is traded away because of this though.

Heyward
11-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Absolutely. He is a decent fourth option because he's pretty cheap and under contractual control. I hope he is traded away because of this though.

Only reason i wouldnt is because his value is at an all-time low right now

cajunrevenge
11-20-2014, 09:08 PM
I suggested it earlier in the offseason but how about Andrelton for Marte. They are signed for about the same time and the Pirates have depth in the outfield and next to nothing at SS.

NinersSBChamps
11-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I suggested it earlier in the offseason but how about Andrelton for Marte. They are signed for about the same time and the Pirates have depth in the outfield and next to nothing at SS.

I would hate to lose Simmons, but yes to this deal though. I love me some Marte.

Chico
11-20-2014, 09:48 PM
I'll throw a few random ones out there

Melvin and Mike Minor for R.A. Dickey and Dalton Pompey
Melvin and Gattis for Michael Bourn and Tyler Naquin
Rays- Evan Gattis for Jake Odorizzi and Mikie Mahtook
Evan Gattis and Anthony Varvaro for Trevor May and Oswaldo Arcia
Melvin and Evan Gattis FOR John Danks and Trayce Thompson

thewupk
11-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Ike David got DFAed by the Pirates today. Assuming he doesn't get a starting gig somewhere I'd look at him for the bench.

CrimsonCowboy
11-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Speculation tonight that the Reds are making Jay Bruce available

COGPK
11-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Bruce, Cueto, Phillips, Burgeois for Upton Brothers, Gattis and Minor.

UNCBlue012
11-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Bruce, Cueto, Phillips, Burgeois for Upton Brothers, Gattis and Minor.

I actually would be down with that deal. I know Phillips isn't what he used to be, but we'd be filling a few holes there. I almost think we could get more from Justin, Minor and Gattis, but I suppose you have to suck it up when you're dumping freaking BJ.

Tapate50
11-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Sherman of the New York Post reporting that Braves are shopping Upton at a high price, but he is likely to be moved. Interest in him has been deemed "significant". Another team's exec told the NYP that he "Will be moved".

Hawk
11-21-2014, 11:46 AM
It's amazing to consider that the Braves could potentially go into the 2015 season with a completely new outfield.

Chico
11-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Sherman of the New York Post reporting that Braves are shopping Upton at a high price, but he is likely to be moved. Interest in him has been deemed "significant". Another team's exec told the NYP that he "Will be moved".

We're in a good position with this being such a weak FA class for bats

Dalyn
11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
We're in a good position with this being such a weak FA class for bats

:pimp:

Hawk
11-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Jason Stark: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11909471/atlanta-braves-rebuilding-opening-day-2017-new-ballpark-mind

The Braves were so desperate to get B.J. Upton off the books, in fact, that other teams say the team told Justin Upton suitors that to get Justin, they'd have to take both brothers in the same trade. But good luck on that, too.

So the Braves have set out this winter, after a painful 27-40 second-half collapse, trying to walk the baseball tightrope. They're doing a tenuous "balancing act," Hart said, between the kind of gut-it-to-the-floor rebuilding he did in Cleveland and the retool-but-still-compete option that appears to be his bosses' preferred route to Cobb County.

"I didn't come in with the idea to take this thing down to the bare bones," said Hart, seven weeks after assuming the reins following the firing of general manager Frank Wren. "That's not one of the plans. But we're evaluating every possibility."

Dalyn
11-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Jason Stark: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11909471/atlanta-braves-rebuilding-opening-day-2017-new-ballpark-mind

The Braves were so desperate to get B.J. Upton off the books, in fact, that other teams say the team told Justin Upton suitors that to get Justin, they'd have to take both brothers in the same trade. But good luck on that, too.

So the Braves have set out this winter, after a painful 27-40 second-half collapse, trying to walk the baseball tightrope. They're doing a tenuous "balancing act," Hart said, between the kind of gut-it-to-the-floor rebuilding he did in Cleveland and the retool-but-still-compete option that appears to be his bosses' preferred route to Cobb County.

"I didn't come in with the idea to take this thing down to the bare bones," said Hart, seven weeks after assuming the reins following the firing of general manager Frank Wren. "That's not one of the plans. But we're evaluating every possibility."

There goes his trade value.

Hawk
11-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Braves have 'expressed interest' in David Ross, per DOB.

Dalyn
11-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Like a glance across a crowded room or more like a hand on the knee?

Hawk
11-24-2014, 11:43 AM

I'm thinking actions slightly more unsavory.

Dalyn
11-24-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking actions slightly more unsavory.

"Just the tip, John."

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2v9500m.jpg

clvclv
11-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Seager about to sign for 7/$100 million in Seattle.

Really time to start stockpiling young, cheap pitching folks - the only way we're going to have a shot at being competitive moving forward.

nsacpi
11-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Seager about to sign for 7/$100 million in Seattle.

Really time to start stockpiling young, cheap pitching folks - the only way we're going to have a shot at being competitive moving forward.

I'd rather stockpile hitting. Less risk. Plus we are in a pitching rich era.

Carp
11-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Hitting is much easier to acquire and much easier develop. Even with our farm system going to hell, we've still managed to produce at least 1 or 2 good positional players in the majors almost every season over last several yrs. Hell even this yr at the lowest our farm has been in 20+ yrs, we still produced La Stella.

Much rather stock up on pitching.

Hawk
11-24-2014, 12:49 PM

And Bowman says one of the others the Braves have contacted is A.J. Pierzynski.

CrimsonCowboy
11-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 1m1 minute ago
A.J. Pierzynski and David Ross are among the FA the #Braves have spoken to about serving as their backup catcher

Dalyn
11-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 1m1 minute ago
A.J. Pierzynski and David Ross are among the FA the #Braves have spoken to about serving as their backup catcher

Those two aren't even comparable. This team needs someone like Ross. Not so much someone like Pierzynski.

nsacpi
11-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Here's my trade idea du jour: Simmons to the Red Sox for Betts and Bogaerts

Tapate50
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Du Juor huh? MMMMMMM....That sounds good. I think i'll have that.

Chico
11-24-2014, 04:04 PM
I like Betts a lot. I'd also like to try and get Garin Cecchini.

CyYoung31
11-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Like a ten minute conversation over the phone with his in-laws.

Enscheff
11-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Minor to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp, who is owed $107M over the next 5 years? Maybe the Dodgers sending money back too?

Kemp would be an interesting option if JUp and Gattis are both traded. He and Tomas could be the corner OFers and give Freeman some excellent RHed protection in the lineup.

The Dodgers main needs are to unload an OFer, a SP, and BP help.

Dalyn
11-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Like a ten minute conversation over the phone with his in-laws.

More than Heyward got.

:icwudt:

Enscheff
11-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Very interesting. The Sox are looking like they will acquire both Hanley and Pablo, so they have somewhat of a glut in the IF and OF.

I doubt moving Simmons is even being remotely considered though.

nsacpi
11-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Very interesting. The Sox are looking like they will acquire both Hanley and Pablo, so they have somewhat of a glut in the IF and OF.

I doubt moving Simmons is even being remotely considered though.

They have an interesting assortment of disposable pieces. But for the most part I wouldn't be interested except at bargain basement prices. But Bogaerts and Betts have real upside and would help us solve some of our weaknesses.

Enscheff
11-24-2014, 04:50 PM
They have an interesting assortment of disposable pieces. But for the most part I wouldn't be interested except at bargain basement prices. But Bogaerts and Betts have real upside and would help us solve some of our weaknesses.

I have a feeling Hamels will be in Boston soon, and the Phils will get a nice little package of position players in return.

Millwood1Hitter
11-24-2014, 05:31 PM
I have a feeling Hamels will be in Boston soon, and the Phils will get a nice little package of position players in return.

Hart's master plan: purge all expensive assets right now for young talent, and mid season after Boston falls in the crapper, acquire Hamels, Panda, Hanley, & Cespedas along with 80% of their salary paid for Even Gattis & Mike Minor. The precusor to this would be the firing of the one and only Fredi Gonzalez.

Enscheff
11-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Gattis and JUp to Seattle for Walker, Miller and Saunders
Minor to LA for Kemp
CJ to SF for anything
Sign Tomas for $15M per year
Sign Masterson to 1 year $12M pillow contract, then give him a QO after the season
Payroll (including BJ and Uggla): ~$110M

C - CB
1B - Freeman
2B - Peraza
3B - Miller
SS - Simmons
LF - Tomas
CF - Saunders/BJ platoon
RF - Kemp

SPs - Teheran, Wood, Masterson, Walker, Miller

nsacpi
11-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Like Cespedes, Craig, Middlebrooks, Victorino, Nava?

yeezus
11-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Gattis and JUp to Seattle for Walker, Miller and Saunders
Minor to LA for Kemp
CJ to SF for anything
Sign Tomas for $15M per year
Sign Masterson to 1 year $12M pillow contract, then give him a QO after the season
Payroll (including BJ and Uggla): ~$110M

C - CB
1B - Freeman
2B - Peraza
3B - Miller
SS - Simmons
LF - Tomas
CF - Saunders/BJ platoon
RF - Kemp

SPs - Teheran, Wood, Masterson, Walker, Miller

If we gave Tomas $15 mil/year, would we have to pay 100% tax on that? I'm confused as to how it works.

Braves1976
11-24-2014, 09:19 PM
If we gave Tomas $15 mil/year, would we have to pay 100% tax on that? I'm confused as to how it works.

No, there is no 100% tax for signing Tomas.

yeezus
11-24-2014, 09:23 PM
No, there is no 100% tax for signing Tomas.

lol thanks, but what about Moncada? I asked a similar question in the other thread you answered me in.

Braves1976
11-24-2014, 09:24 PM
lol thanks, but what about Moncada? I asked a similar question in the other thread you answered me in.

Yes, the 100% tax is true for Moncada but not for Tomas.

yeezus
11-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Yes, the 100% tax is true for Moncada but not for Tomas.

Sorry, so if he signed for 4/60 (just a quick example) teams would actually be paying 30 mil a year? Or is the tax just in the 1st year?

Tapate50
11-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I'd really like to see us kick the tires on Brandon McCarthy if we miss out on Lester. No draft pick compensation I don't think and I don't think he will break the bank in FA either in years or total $. He could do well in this park.

Deal Minor to Tex along with Upton, and this guy can come in and do very well here.

Chico
11-25-2014, 09:39 AM
I wonder what it would take to get Jackie Bradley Jr....and if he's worth it or not. He could be a good buy low option.

Millwood1Hitter
11-25-2014, 10:04 AM
I'd really like to see us kick the tires on Brandon McCarthy if we miss out on Lester. No draft pick compensation I don't think and I don't think he will break the bank in FA either in years or total $. He could do well in this park.

Deal Minor to Tex along with Upton, and this guy can come in and do very well here.

I could see McCarthy doing very very well here, maybe come up as huge as Harang did this last year.

50PoundHead
11-25-2014, 10:18 AM
I wonder what it would take to get Jackie Bradley Jr....and if he's worth it or not. He could be a good buy low option.

For those who advocate rushing prospects, Bradley may be an example of why caution should be employed. I don't watch these guys day-to-day so I don't have any idea if he was ready or not, but I get the impression that Bradley was moved way too fast.

He could very well be a cheap option for CF, but I wonder if he is a reclamation project and, if so, how much of one.

nsacpi
11-25-2014, 10:20 AM

Yes. We should be trying to accumulate some alternatives to play center. I don't expect Bradley to turn into a major league regular, but there is still a chance and at the right price he would be worth picking up.

Enscheff
11-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Sorry, so if he signed for 4/60 (just a quick example) teams would actually be paying 30 mil a year? Or is the tax just in the 1st year?

Moncada would not sign for 4/60, he would sign for a one time bonus. The Braves would be taxed only on the amount of that bonus over their allotted international spending amount. That is why folks thought it was a big deal when the Braves traded TLS to the Cubs for $800k in international pool money. Any amount added to that pool was essentially worth "double" since it would also reduce the portion of the bonus taxed at 100%.

If Moncada is signed he becomes just like any other amateur acquired through the draft or international market. He would go to the minors and be subject to the same 6 years of team control at the MLB level, arbitration, the whole 9 yards.

The reason Tomas is different is because he has spent enough years in professional baseball in Cuba, so he is no longer considered an amateur. He is considered a regular FA for all intents and purposes of this discussion.

Enscheff
11-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Like Cespedes, Craig, Middlebrooks, Victorino, Nava?

No idea, but if the Phils are smart they would target 2-3 young guys to help the rebuild.

Enscheff
11-25-2014, 11:45 AM
I could see McCarthy doing very very well here, maybe come up as huge as Harang did this last year.

I would rather see Hart finalize the rotation with Masterson. He should be looking for a 1 year deal to reestablish his value for next offseason. The Braves could get 200 innings of 3.5 FIP ball out of him for ~$12M, and then make a QO at the end of the year to get a draft pick.

In fact, that is a strategy I would like to see the Braves employ routinely. There always seems to be a couple players each offseason looking for a 1 year deal to prove they are healthy and/or still productive. Sign 1-2 of them each year and net some extra draft picks (or lottery tickets) when they rebound and sign for bigger money the following offseason.

Millwood1Hitter
11-25-2014, 12:00 PM
I would rather see Hart finalize the rotation with Masterson. He should be looking for a 1 year deal to reestablish his value for next offseason. The Braves could get 200 innings of 3.5 FIP ball out of him for ~$12M, and then make a QO at the end of the year to get a draft pick.

In fact, that is a strategy I would like to see the Braves employ routinely. There always seems to be a couple players each offseason looking for a 1 year deal to prove they are healthy and/or still productive. Sign 1-2 of them each year and net some extra draft picks (or lottery tickets) when they rebound and sign for bigger money the following offseason.

Yep, and I like to call them a JC special, as it's been noted a few times already he's been great in this regard of finding these type of players that come out of nowhere and make significant contributions in a pinch to our club (Harang, Sheets, Carpenter)

Now that we got a competant hitting coach, hopefully we can start doing things like this as well to positional players instead of just McDowell with pitchers.

yeezus
11-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Moncada would not sign for 4/60, he would sign for a one time bonus. The Braves would be taxed only on the amount of that bonus over their allotted international spending amount. That is why folks thought it was a big deal when the Braves traded TLS to the Cubs for $800k in international pool money. Any amount added to that pool was essentially worth "double" since it would also reduce the portion of the bonus taxed at 100%.

If Moncada is signed he becomes just like any other amateur acquired through the draft or international market. He would go to the minors and be subject to the same 6 years of team control at the MLB level, arbitration, the whole 9 yards.

The reason Tomas is different is because he has spent enough years in professional baseball in Cuba, so he is no longer considered an amateur. He is considered a regular FA for all intents and purposes of this discussion.

Ah gotcha, thank you much for the clarification. It's hard to find that stuff online worded simply (or simply enough for me).

yeezus
11-25-2014, 12:19 PM
No idea, but if the Phils are smart they would target 2-3 young guys to help the rebuild.

I have no idea why they'd pursue Tomas on a ~4 year deal. They will not be good for at least 2-3 of them.

NinersSBChamps
11-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Matt Joyce perhaps. Rays are always looking to trade.

Russ2dollas
11-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Garin Cecchini from the sox? They have filled up 3B and OF. Looking for rotation help. Could we give a minor + CJ contract for Cecchini and a pitching prospect

BRule
11-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Need to call Baltimore if Nelly blots and offer them Upton for Bundy or Goose.

Heyward
11-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Bundy had TJ?

Goss isnt good.

BRule
11-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Gausman isn't good?

Heyward
11-26-2014, 03:49 PM
He's alright but more of a RP than SP.

gilesfan
11-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Gausman isn't good?

Da Fuq Heyward?

BRule
11-26-2014, 04:29 PM
He's alright but more of a RP than SP.

You can't be serious

Heyward
11-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Welp, with Tomas to Arz, what now?

NinersSBChamps
11-26-2014, 05:14 PM

A ton of homeruns from Trumbo, Goldy, and Tomas.

BRule
11-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Pretend we are interested in someone else

Heyward
11-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Pretend we are interested in someone else

:Sad:

Heyward
11-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Should have just gave Heyward 250 million.

Other than our pitching, aint much to get excited about going forward.

BRule
11-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Should have just gave Heyward 250 million.

Other than our pitching, aint much to get excited about going forward.

SALCEDO!

Heyward
11-26-2014, 05:28 PM
SALCEDO!

:Gasp:

weso1
12-02-2014, 02:56 PM
I predict a deal with the Astros:

BJ Upton, Gattis and some cash

for

Dexter Fowler and Rio Ruiz

Sign Markakis to a 4 year 45 million dollar deal. Sign Peavy to a one year deal. Stick with Justin for one more season. I think that would allow us to be competitive next year and give us a lot of flexibility for 2017 and beyond.

Hawk
12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Buster Olney
@Buster_ESPN
Not surprisingly, Ervin Santana looking for as long of a deal as possible: Five years.

UNCBlue012
12-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Buster Olney
@Buster_ESPN
Not surprisingly, Ervin Santana looking for as long of a deal as possible: Five years.

Lol, how about a big no there. Someone could be that dumb, but please not us.

UNCBlue012
12-02-2014, 04:08 PM

for

Sign Markakis to a 4 year 45 million dollar deal. Sign Peavy to a one year deal. Stick with Justin for one more season. I think that would allow us to be competitive next year and give us a lot of flexibility for 2017 and beyond.

That is literally my prediction s well and honestly, I'm not against it.

Millwood1Hitter
12-02-2014, 04:14 PM

for

Championship caliber I say!

Tapate50
12-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Dirks was nontendered. Always had good numbers, would probably be an excellent 4th OF.

Julio3000
12-03-2014, 09:29 AM
List of non-tendered players. (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/list-of-non-tendered-players-2014-15.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+R umors%29)

tomahawkchop10
12-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Saunders traded to Toronto for Happ. Was interested in saunders, oh well.

CyYoung31
12-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Jesus. And we're in on a guy like Markakis for 11 million a year?

Julio3000
12-03-2014, 06:17 PM

****. I'd take a flyer on Saunders. Happ?

Julio3000
12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Jesus. And we're in on a guy like Markakis for 11 million a year?

Just dumb, really.

Fricking Saunders is just one of a list of guys who is probably going to be better than Markakis for the next 4 years.

bravesnumberone
12-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Is Seattle just brain dead? Good God, how could we not have been all over Saunders if that's all it took?

Julio3000
12-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Just dumb, really.

Fricking Saunders is just one of a list of guys who is probably going to be better than Markakis for the next 4 years.

I swear on Gerald's Laird's paunch that I wrote that without knowing that we had just signed Markakis. Sweet Jesus.

Braves1976
12-03-2014, 07:41 PM

He was among my top buy low trade targets to replace Heyward, of course we got Markakis instead. This off-season is getting better and better.

Dalyn
12-03-2014, 07:54 PM
This team is going to have Hart. That's for sure.

zbhargrove
12-03-2014, 08:51 PM
He was among my top buy low trade targets to replace Heyward, of course we got Markakis instead. This off-season is getting better and better.

Saunders has done nothing to show he's a better option than Markakis... in fact the only year he was a full time player for a full year, he was awful... last year was his best year but he didn't even get 300 at bats. Nothing in his career to suggest he's a reliable starter.

Julio3000
12-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Saunders has done nothing to show he's a better option than Markakis... in fact the only year he was a full time player for a full year, he was awful... last year was his best year but he didn't even get 300 at bats. Nothing in his career to suggest he's a reliable starter.

Talking Saunders vs. Markakis without considering age/cost is missing the point, IMO.

GovClintonTyree
12-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Talking Saunders vs. Markakis without considering age/cost is missing the point, IMO.

I'd have taken both and played Saunders in CF. Cause Saunders IS better than a BJ.

zbhargrove
12-03-2014, 09:30 PM

A fair point... and I agree with the Gov... would like both over BJ

Braves1976
12-03-2014, 09:30 PM

I can see why you accuse others of cherry picking stats. I mean I guess it's better to do so before they can call you on it, lol.

That said, Saunders has had an OPS of .720-.791 the last three seasons. While that is nothing special it looks better considering where he plays. Plus he hit 19 homers there a few years ago so it isn't out of the question that he'll hit for power outside of Seattle. But what makes Saunders a solid buying low choice overall in a trade is also his age/cost and the defense he provides along with the offense in right field. He's much better than Markakis defensively in RF. Markakis range has been bad for quite a while now, he's put up a -13 DRS in right field the last three years. Saunders on the other hand has shown good range numbers in right field and put up a positive 7 DRS there in only 480.2 innings last year.

Braves1976
12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I'd have taken both and played Saunders in CF. Cause Saunders IS better than a BJ.

While Saunders is a good right fielder and could be solid defensively at either corner spot. He isn't a true centerfielder, he put up a -29 DRS and lacked range there over the last three years.

zbhargrove
12-03-2014, 09:36 PM
I can see why you accuse others of cherry picking stats. I mean I guess it's better to do so before they can call you on it, lol.

That said, Saunders has had an OPS of .720-.791 the last three seasons. While that is nothing special it looks better considering where he plays. Plus he hit 19 homers there a few years ago so it isn't out of the question that he'll hit for power outside of Seattle. But what makes Saunders a solid buying low choice overall in a trade is also his age/cost and the defense he provides along with the offense in right field. He's much better than Markakis defensively in RF. Markakis range has been bad for quite a while now, he's put up a -13 DRS in right field the last three years. Saunders on the other hand has shown good range numbers in right field and put up a positive 7 DRS there in only 480.2 innings last year.

Again... the age/cost thing I get... but production still is not anymore a sure than than it is from Markakis.

nsacpi
12-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Steamer projects Saunders at 2.5 WAR (in 580 PAs) and a .729 OPS in 2015.

The 2015 projection for Markakis is 1.3 WAR (in 679 PAs) and a .728 OPS.

So let's be generous and call it a wash. But then there are small details like cost, length of contract, age.

skillet
12-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Steamer projects Saunders at 2.5 WAR (in 580 PAs) and a .729 OPS in 2015.

The 2015 projection for Markakis is 1.3 WAR (in 679 PAs) and a .728 OPS.

So let's be generous and call it a wash. But then there are small details like cost, length of contract, age.

You would also have to take into account who we would have had to give up to get Saunders. Not sure we have anybody that would be a decent comparable.

Heyward
12-03-2014, 10:28 PM
You would also have to take into account who we would have had to give up to get Saunders. Not sure we have anybody that would be a decent comparable.

Hale?

Hawk
12-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Dodgers are considering making Zach Greinke available in anticipation of him opting out of his deal next offseason. Are also in on Lester, now, too.

bravesnumberone
12-03-2014, 11:48 PM
MLB Network was just briefly speculating on Mariners-Rockies as possible trade partners for the Mariners to fill an outfield spot.

UNCBlue012
12-04-2014, 12:10 AM
MLB Network was just briefely speculating on Mariners-Rockies as possible trade partners for the Mariners to fill an outfield spot.

They dont have anyone as good as JUP. JUP is by far the best option for them.

Jay212033
12-04-2014, 02:04 AM
They dont have anyone as good as JUP. JUP is by far the best option for them.

Ummmm Cargo

Tapate50
12-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Dodgers are considering making Zach Greinke available in anticipation of him opting out of his deal next offseason. Are also in on Lester, now, too.

Must be nice to have $ comin out of your ears.

50PoundHead
12-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Must be nice to have $ comin out of your ears.

And every other orifice.

zbhargrove
12-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Ummmm Cargo

Don't think Cargo is available and his injury history makes him a weaker candidate than Upton.

Tapate50
12-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Ummmm Cargo

What is Cargo expected to make? (looked it up) between 15-20M the next three years 53 mill left on his deal til 2018

As an aside, when is he ever healthy?

mcollier
12-04-2014, 10:51 AM
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. With Detroit interested in trading David Price, can anyone see a scenario whereby Atlanta could move both of the Upton brothers and make room to add Price to our rotation? I don't see how it could be possible, but imagine a rotation of:

David Price
Julio Teheran
Alex Wood
Shelby Miller
Mike Minor

That would be fun, and perhaps Price would consider a 4 year extension with an offer to start the home opener in SunTrust Park in 2017.

Lineup would be (in random order)
RF: Markakis
CF: unknown (we could re-sign Bonifacio)
LF: Gattis
1B: Freeman
2B: Gosselin (until Peraza is ready)
SS: Simmons
3B: Johnson
C: Bethancourt

It would probably only work in video game land, but that rotation could be dominant in the postseason.

UNCBlue012
12-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Ummmm Cargo

Not with those Coors splits. The dude is average at best outside of the stadium.

Enscheff
12-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Looks like Headley has a 4/65 offer in hand already:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/540579259996061696

He was never a real option anyways.

bravesnumberone
12-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Wonder who the team is if it's not the Yankees or Marlins. Giants?

DirkPiggler
12-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Red Sox get:

Good Upton
Bad Upton
Gattis

Braves get:

Mookie Betts
Garin Cecchini
Allen Craig

If necessary to get the deal done, pay some or all of the difference between Bad Upton and Craig's contracts for the remainder of the deal ($9 million in 2015, $6.5 million 2016, $5.5 million in 2017).

Red Sox get a power bat for RF in Upton, a young cost controlled power bat that can play C, DH, and even LF in their park in Gattis, and a warm body to stand in center field. Plus, with Bad Upton on the team their chances of resigning Good Upton could increase. BJ might have a better chance of rebounding somewhat playing in Fenway.

Braves get a CF with OBP skills and speed, a left handed 3B who can platoon with Johnson and probably eventually take over full time, and a LF who could be a reclamation project. If we have to pay $15 million per year for an outfielder for the next three years I'd think Craig would be more likely to give us at least some return. Assuming that the Braves have to pay the difference between BJ and Craig, that would still free up the $14.5 MM owed to Justin, which would allow the team to add a 5th starter plus possibly some bullpen help or a bench bat.

I don't know if this makes much sense from the Red Sox point of view. From the Braves POV, if the Sox would take it I'd jump all over it.

NinersSBChamps
12-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Yankees acquire Didi Gregorious in a three team deal that included Detroit.

nsacpi
12-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Shane Greene pitched awfully well for the Yankees in the 14 starts they gave him. I like Detroit's end of this deal.

Tapate50
12-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Shane Greene pitched awfully well for the Yankees in the 14 starts they gave him. I like Detroit's end of this deal.

Who are the Yankees counting on to pitch for them in 15?!

nsacpi
12-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Who are the Yankees counting on to pitch for them in 15?!

Four injured guys: CC, Tanaka, Nova and Pineda. Plus swingman Phelps.

But this off-season is deep in pitching. I don't think they'll have any trouble signing a couple decent free agent starting pitchers. They have some interest having a younger tem. So that might inform their choices in terms of who they go after and whether they go after someone that would cost them their first round pick.

cajunrevenge
12-05-2014, 03:21 PM

Never going to happen but I would love it. Greinke = STUD. He doesn't opt out if he is in Atlanta.

BRule
12-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Andrew Miller to Yankees 4/36

thethe
12-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Must be nice to have money.

Tapate50
12-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Smart move by NYY. Send a closer packing for a draft pick, then sign one without having to sacrifice a pick.

BRule
12-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Yeah, some teams choose to blow their money on washed up OFers with bad necks :Gasp:

nsacpi
12-05-2014, 04:03 PM

I know WAR is an imperfect stat and projected WAR is even more dicey, but what the Yankees are paying him per projected win is about the same as what we'll be paying Markakis.

thethe
12-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Smart move by NYY. Send a closer packing for a draft pick, then sign one without having to sacrifice a pick.

Betances would be their closer if Robertson walks.

thethe
12-05-2014, 04:31 PM
I know WAR is an imperfect stat and projected WAR is even more dicey, but what the Yankees are paying him per projected win is about the same as what we'll be paying Markakis.

Thats ok, I'll take my chances with a position player that has a history of showing up to work everyday over a relief pitcher.

nsacpi
12-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Thats ok, I'll take my chances with a position player that has a history of showing up to work everyday over a relief pitcher.

I kinda agree. For example, I would never trade a solid position player like Adam LaRoche (back in his younger cost-controlled days no less) for a reliever like Mike Gonzalez. But I'm just a fan pecking away at a keyboard not a future Hall of Famer GM. So I'm just going to trust our front office to know what's best as we move through this off-season.

thethe
12-05-2014, 04:51 PM
I kinda agree. For example, I would never trade a solid position player like Adam LaRoche (back in his younger cost-controlled days no less) for a reliever like Mike Gonzalez. But I'm just a fan pecking away at a keyboard not a future Hall of Famer GM. So I'm just going to trust our front office to know what's best as we move through this off-season.

Ugh, what an awful trade that was. I loved Laroche and I think he would have an even better career had he stayed with the Braves.

Tapate50
12-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Betances would be their closer if Robertson walks.

Maybe. He would be hard pressed to be a better option than Miller.

It may start out that way but Miller is an awesome option back there.

Heyward
12-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Maybe. He would be hard pressed to be a better option than Miller.

It may start out that way but Miller is an awesome option back there.

Miller might be better suited to be in the 7th/8th and use him in certain situations.

Rather than keep him at closer and he cant come in until the 9th or randomly in the 8th for a 4-5 out save.

Tapate50
12-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Miller might be better suited to be in the 7th/8th and use him in certain situations.

Rather than keep him at closer and he cant come in until the 9th or randomly in the 8th for a 4-5 out save.

Options.

Tapate50
12-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Astros had the highest offer to Miller at 4/40.

GovClintonTyree
12-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Red Sox get:

Good Upton
Bad Upton
Gattis

Braves get:

Mookie Betts
Garin Cecchini
Allen Craig

If necessary to get the deal done, pay some or all of the difference between Bad Upton and Craig's contracts for the remainder of the deal ($9 million in 2015, $6.5 million 2016, $5.5 million in 2017).

Red Sox get a power bat for RF in Upton, a young cost controlled power bat that can play C, DH, and even LF in their park in Gattis, and a warm body to stand in center field. Plus, with Bad Upton on the team their chances of resigning Good Upton could increase. BJ might have a better chance of rebounding somewhat playing in Fenway.

Braves get a CF with OBP skills and speed, a left handed 3B who can platoon with Johnson and probably eventually take over full time, and a LF who could be a reclamation project. If we have to pay $15 million per year for an outfielder for the next three years I'd think Craig would be more likely to give us at least some return. Assuming that the Braves have to pay the difference between BJ and Craig, that would still free up the $14.5 MM owed to Justin, which would allow the team to add a 5th starter plus possibly some bullpen help or a bench bat.

I don't know if this makes much sense from the Red Sox point of view. From the Braves POV, if the Sox would take it I'd jump all over it.

I kinda like it. only problem I see is that you solved a problem for them by taking Craig off their hands, but compounded by giving them two more OFs.

GovClintonTyree
12-05-2014, 09:42 PM
I know WAR is an imperfect stat and projected WAR is even more dicey

I don't even care what you said after this.

Hawk
12-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
An executive not involved in the Lester bidding predicts he will get seven years: "Book it," the exec said. Make sense; likely separator.

Carp
12-08-2014, 01:16 AM
An idea I saw on another board that I tweaked a bit.

Tigers get:

Good Upton
CJ
Carpenter

Braves get:

David Price

Not exactly the cost controlled Ace we were looking for, but if we can't find a trade partner willing to give us the prospects we want, this could be a decent fallback option that could help shed some future salary. Price reportedly wants to play here, so may be we open the purse strings on an extension (unlikely though). If not, we still get the pick that we would have gotten with J-Up.

Or hell, could even make a 3 team trade out of it to get prospects, with Price going to TX, Boston, LAD, or Houston

blueagleace1
12-08-2014, 01:26 AM

Tigers get:

Good Upton
CJ
Carpenter

Braves get:

David Price

Not exactly the cost controlled Ace we were looking for, but if we can't find a trade partner willing to give us the prospects we want, this could be a decent fallback option that could help shed some future salary. Price reportedly wants to play here, so may be we open the purse strings on an extension (unlikely though). If not, we still get the pick that we would have gotten with J-Up.

I have thrown around something similar on another board, what kind of deal do you think Price gets next offseason? More or less than Lester?

goldfly
12-08-2014, 01:30 AM
So I'm just going to trust our front office to know what's best as we move through this off-season.

:Gasp:

Carp
12-08-2014, 01:32 AM
As long as Price remains healthy and puts another strong season together, he should get 150 million easy on the open market, imho. He's better and younger than Lester with a Cy Young under his belt.

I do worry about the wear his arm took this season though with well over 250 innings including the playoffs.

blueagleace1
12-08-2014, 02:06 AM
As long as Price remains healthy and puts another strong season together, he should get 150 million easy on the open market, imho. He's better and younger than Lester with a Cy Young under his belt.

I do worry about the wear his arm took this season though with well over 250 innings including the playoffs.

If an extension was agreed upon for say 7 years / $155 million I would do a deal that looked like this:

Tigers get:

Justin Upton
James Russell
Tyler Pastornicky

Braves get:

David Price
Jonathan Crawford
Steven Moya

COGPK
12-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Hearing that we may be close to a FA signing of a SP. I'm up for adding Edison Volquez.

nsacpi
12-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Hearing that we may be close to a FA signing of a SP. I'm up for adding Edison Volquez.

I'd rather we sign a groundball pitcher like Volquez than a flyball pitcher like Harang.

Julio3000
12-11-2014, 09:11 AM

But that would jeopardize our two-pronged strategy of weakening our outfield defense and exclusively employing flyball pitchers.

GovClintonTyree
12-11-2014, 09:14 AM
I'd rather we sign a groundball pitcher like Volquez than a flyball pitcher like Harang.

100% correct

DirkPiggler
12-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Twitter says that Masterson is about to sign with an unknown team. Seems like he would fit the profile of what the Johns are trying to sign.

Tapate50
12-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Twitter says that Masterson is about to sign with an unknown team. Seems like he would fit the profile of what the Johns are trying to sign.

I could get down with that. Flip that dude at the deadline after McDowell does his thing.

Oklahomabrave
12-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Cespedes to the tigers for Porcello

GovClintonTyree
12-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Cespedes to the tigers for Porcello

Tigers may have just exceeded their asshole quota.

Julio3000
12-11-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm cool with Masterson, too. Could be neutral, could be a coup.

CrimsonCowboy
12-14-2014, 12:25 AM
Melky Cabrera to the White Sox

Hawk
12-14-2014, 12:52 AM
Melky Cabrera to the White Sox

Looks like 3yrs, $45MM. Wow. White Sox really going for it.

Also, great news for the Braves. Texas/Baltimore/Seattle/ChC still in play for Upton and/or Gattis.

blueagleace1
12-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Looks like 3yrs, $45MM. Wow. White Sox really going for it.

Also, great news for the Braves. Texas/Baltimore/Seattle/ChC still in play for Upton and/or Gattis.

If the Cubs really showed legimate interest in Justin and he were to waive his no-trade clause do you think we could get:

Cubs get: Justin Upton/Juan Jamie/Aaron Northcraft

Braves get: Addison Russell/C.J Edwards

Have Russell slide over to 2B/3B for us in 2016 or sooner if Johnson is traded (If he is better at 2B then have Peraza move to CF)

skillet
12-14-2014, 08:52 AM
If the Cubs really showed legimate interest in Justin and he were to waive his no-trade clause do you think we could get:

Have Russell slide over to 2B/3B for us in 2016 or sooner if Johnson is traded (If he is better at 2B then have Peraza move to CF)

We aren't getting Addison Russell. Pipe dream. Would love to but it ain't happening.

Heyward
12-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Russell aint happening.

Their future infield is Rizzo/Russell/Castro/Bryant, with Solar/Baez/someone else in the outfield.

Heyward
12-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Tigers get:

Good Upton
CJ
Carpenter

Braves get:

David Price

Or hell, could even make a 3 team trade out of it to get prospects, with Price going to TX, Boston, LAD, or Houston

Only way that happens is if Max re-signs.

Although if they get Max, they could just go for it and go with Price, Max, Verlander, Sanchez, and Greene or Simon.

They arent going into the year with Verlander, Sanchez, Simon, Greene, ? in the rotation.

clvclv
12-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Only way that happens is if Max re-signs.

They arent going into the year with Verlander, Sanchez, Simon, Ray, ? in the rotation.

You're right there - although I'd imagine it has as much to do with Ray being in Arizona as anything else.

nsacpi
12-14-2014, 11:28 AM
You're right there - although I'd imagine it has as much to do with Ray being in Arizona as anything else.

Replace Ray with Shane Greene, who they got from the Yankees as part of the Didi Gregorius trade.

Heyward
12-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up, still, my point stands.

blueagleace1
12-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Russell aint happening.

Their future infield is Rizzo/Russell/Castro/Bryant, with Solar/Baez/someone else in the outfield.

One of Russell/Baez/Castro will be available, whether that is for a TOR arm or power hitting corner outfielder.

NinersSBChamps
12-14-2014, 08:52 PM
I absolutely hate trading MLB players who are good for prospects. How often has that worked in the Braves favor?

Heyward
12-14-2014, 09:30 PM
One of Russell/Baez/Castro will be available, whether that is for a TOR arm or power hitting corner outfielder.

Probably Castro.

Baez/Russell arent going anywhere.

blueagleace1
12-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Probably Castro.

Baez/Russell arent going anywhere.

It was said that when the Mets contacted them about Castro he was unavailable.

Castro is a proven hitter against Major League pitchers too.

cajunrevenge
12-14-2014, 11:34 PM
I absolutely hate trading MLB players who are good for prospects. How often has that worked in the Braves favor?

Renteria for jurrjens/gorkys

NinersSBChamps
12-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Renteria for jurrjens/gorkys

Not really. Jair couldn't stay healthy after he an electric first of a season.

NinersSBChamps
12-15-2014, 12:14 AM
I loved me some Edgar Renteria though. His career began to unwind after we dealt him. So I will give you that. Who knows if he would have been good like he was if he stayed in Atlanta.

chop2chip
12-15-2014, 12:41 AM
My memory serves that the Marte for Renteria trade was largely panned by the scout board folk. But in retrospect that was a great JS trade and, unintentionally, seems to reflect some modern player valuation such as valuing base running and defense (which at the time was considered archaic).

Awesome trade. One of JS's best.

Carp
12-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Not really. Jair couldn't stay healthy after he an electric first of a season.

Jair threw 670 innings for the Braves his first 4 seasons with us, winning 47 games with a 3.34 ERA (121 ERA+). We got that for a good but aging SS with 1 year of contol left. I'd call that a pretty frigging good haul. If we get 4 years of 121 ERA+ and 700+ innings out of whoever we get for Upton, then it is most certainly a great trade.

As far as other trades for prospects, we haven't really traded away any star players in the last several years for prospects. Only stars I recall us trading for prospects were Tex and Yunel. Now yes we didn't get back much in these trades, aside from Pastor, but both trades were made by our former GM. And in both trades, Wren limited our return by demanding in return a current major league starter for the same position that he was trading away (Kotchman for Tex and Gonzalez for Yunel, respectively).

blueagleace1
12-15-2014, 01:22 AM
Jair threw 670 innings for the Braves his first 4 seasons with us, winning 47 games with a 3.34 ERA (121 ERA+). We got that for a good but aging SS with 1 year of contol left. I'd call that a pretty frigging good haul. If we get 4 years of 121 ERA+ and 700+ innings out of whoever we get for Upton, then it is most certainly a great trade.

As far as other trades for prospects, we haven't really traded away any star players in the last several years for prospects. Only stars I recall us trading for prospects were Tex and Yunel. Now yes we didn't get back much in these trades, aside from Pastor, but both trades were made by our former GM. And in both trades, Wren limited our return by demanding in return a current major league starter for the same position that he was trading away (Kotchman for Tex and Gonzalez for Yunel, respectively).

I always thought Gonzalez was an underrated SS and Yunel was a clubhouse cancer so I would say Frank Wren got a nice return for Escobar (and Jo-Jo Reyes), as far as someone who could step in right away and help our club (Gonzalez) and then two fairly decent prospect at the time in Pastornicky and Tim Collins.

nsacpi
12-15-2014, 06:07 AM
My memory serves that the Marte for Renteria trade was largely panned by the scout board folk. But in retrospect that was a great JS trade and, unintentionally, seems to reflect some modern player valuation such as valuing base running and defense (which at the time was considered archaic).

It was Wren's first trade as GM. He was named GM October 11, 2007. The trade was made on October 29, 2007.

It marked a change after several years where we were giving up young players/prospects for older ones.

Knucksie
12-15-2014, 08:33 AM

The statgeeks had hardly seen Marte play, and ignored posted reports about certain aspects of his status (hole in swing, weight). No personnel decisions are to be made without first consulting Fangraphs, Talking Chop, Twitter and various fantasy league message boards.

Deester11
12-15-2014, 09:08 AM
The statgeeks had hardly seen Marte play, and ignored posted reports about certain aspects of his status (hole in swing, weight). No personnel decisions are to be made without first consulting Fangraphs, Talking Chop, Twitter and various fantasy league message boards.
I agree. The nerve of Hart to make that "spoken-to-death-trade-that-shall-not-be-uttered-by-me" without consulting the GM wizards on the message board. I for one am outraged!

zitothebrave
12-15-2014, 09:41 AM

I don't think anyone was reading fangraphs back then. It was more b-ref, b-pro, hardball times, and some other big ones I'm forgetting.

As far as Marte, something never clicked, and I think what a flaw we missed back then was minor league K rates. The hole in the swing if you would. His K rate didn't look bad if you directly compared it to say Adam Dunn, but a guy who strikes out around 20% of the time in the minors is gonna strike out more often than that in the majors and when Marte's power didn't come along like expected the train came off the tracks

chop2chip
12-15-2014, 11:26 AM
It was Wren's first trade as GM. He was named GM October 11, 2007. The trade was made on October 29, 2007.

It marked a change after several years where we were giving up young players/prospects for older ones.

Andy Marte for Edgar Renteria was most certainly a JS move

Knucksie
12-15-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't think anyone was reading fangraphs back then. It was more b-ref, b-pro, hardball times, and some other big ones I'm forgetting.

As far as Marte, something never clicked, and I think what a flaw we missed back then was minor league K rates. The hole in the swing if you would. His K rate didn't look bad if you directly compared it to say Adam Dunn, but a guy who strikes out around 20% of the time in the minors is gonna strike out more often than that in the majors and when Marte's power didn't come along like expected the train came off the tracks

Marte never got over it. My buddy, Carlos, has AAA Bison season tickets. Marte was the starting 3B when they were Indians affiliate. Carlos told me emphatically how much Marte blew. So, it wasn't even a situation of a "AAAA" player. He was barely holding on at the top level of the minors.

The Chosen One
12-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Never liked Marte the first time I saw him play when he played for Chipper. He swung at pitches in the dirt like Andruw, and his stance was very weak with awful bat speed.

nsacpi
12-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Andy Marte for Edgar Renteria was most certainly a JS move

You're right. I confused it with the Jurrjens for Renteria trade.

Braves1976
12-15-2014, 08:45 PM
You're right. I confused it with the Jurrjens for Renteria trade.

I knew that was the move you meant based on you referencing it as Wren's first trade after becoming GM.

Hawk
12-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Marlins sign Mike Morse to two-year deal.

Tapate50
12-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Marlins sign Mike Morse to two-year deal.

Offensively SF has taken a beating this offseason. Them and Baltimore have to do something I'd imagine.

Hawk
12-16-2014, 10:56 AM
2 years, 8 million with performance bonuses for Morse. Excellent add for the Marlins at that price.

Braves1976
12-16-2014, 04:10 PM
2 years, 8 million with performance bonuses for Morse. Excellent add for the Marlins at that price.

If Fernandez comes back strong Miami has a real shot at winning the NL East this coming season, IMO. Morse was an excellent add as you say.

Dalyn
12-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Another strong move for them. The Marlins are going to be tough.

gilesfan
12-16-2014, 05:19 PM
If Fernandez comes back strong Miami has a real shot at winning the NL East this coming season, IMO. Morse was an excellent add as you say.

Im not convinced it is, but it's a low cost addition. Morse could easily have a .700 OPS season due to his age to go along with his (d)efense.

Heyward
12-16-2014, 07:09 PM

Nah, Nats are still favorites, but Marlins clear 2nd best team.

CrimsonCowboy
12-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Edison Volquez to the Royals. Two years, $20 million.

MadduxFanII
12-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Apparently Matt Kemp's agent is...Junior Spivey, which just freaks me right the hell out.

Tapate50
12-18-2014, 12:07 PM

I saw 2/16+ incentives?

Mlbtraderumors is projecting Aoki to be in the same ballpark as that deal.

CrimsonCowboy
12-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 60s60 seconds ago
Jace Peterson 2B also going to Braves in Upton deal

CrimsonCowboy
12-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Good grief, Padres....................

“@JeffPassan: Source: Padres nearing a deal that would send Ryan Hanigan to Boston for Will Middlebrooks.” LOL

Hawk
12-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Why didn't the Braves hire AJ Preller?

Julio3000
12-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Good grief, Padres....................

“@JeffPassan: Source: Padres nearing a deal that would send Ryan Hanigan to Boston for Will Middlebrooks.” LOL

Is Preller making calls from Caray Manor?

Hawk
12-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Jon Heyman
@JonHeymanCBS
david ross is signing with padres

Dalyn
12-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Jon Heyman
@JonHeymanCBS
david ross is signing with padres

:happy0157:

Talk about symbolism.

CrimsonCowboy
12-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Martin Prado to the Marlins for Nathan Evoaldi per various reports

Hawk
12-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Dalyn oughta love that.

Carp
12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Not sure how this move benefits the Yanks. Evalodi is nothing special. Who is gonna play 2b now?

DirkPiggler
12-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Not sure how this move benefits the Yanks. Evalodi is nothing special. Who is gonna play 2b now?

Uggla. Having finally recovered from his three year concussion, Dan will hit 35 bombs with a .900 OPS, with some Gold Glove caliber defense thrown in to boot. All on the Braves dime by the way.

This of course assumes that God isn't through laughing at us yet.

Millwood1Hitter
12-19-2014, 02:24 PM
If only Wohlers didn't hang that slider to Leyritz. The baseball world, and the perspective of baseball history, would have completely changed. Oh well, that night forever changed the dynamic of the game of baseball, and it was us Braves fans that had to endure the consequences more than anyone else. And then our GM signed a deal with the devil to keep the division run going, only to never ever see postseason success ever again.

That pitch, that night, forever changed the game, and sealed the deal on the future fate of the Atlanta Braves being a legit powerhouse dynasty that had a change to go down as not only an unprecedented run, but one of the best dynasties ever assembled.

Dalyn
12-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Martin Prado to the Marlins for Nathan Evoaldi per various reports

Fair trade with a slight edge to the Yankees. Marlins added a good bench piece.

Tapate50
12-19-2014, 04:11 PM

They have no one to pitch.

Carp
12-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Is Evaldowhathisname really a better option than someone like Kendrick, Vogelsong, Peavy, or Chris Young?

rico43
12-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Is Evaldowhathisname really a better option than someone like Kendrick, Vogelsong, Peavy, or Chris Young?

Peavy was long gone. Better option than the others, absolutely.

But not Harang!

Heyward
12-19-2014, 08:39 PM

He's under control for 3-4 more years.

Stuff-wise, hes pretty talented.

With Headley signed and ARoid coming back, they have no use for Prado now especially if they make a run at Maconda.

Dalyn
12-20-2014, 02:27 PM
I wonder if we're about to have a Kang playing second...

:icon_biggrin:

Tapate50
12-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Josh Johnson got 1M base +6.25 M in incentives from SD. How did he do so much worse than Medlen?

thethe
12-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Josh Johnson got 1M base +6.25 M in incentives from SD. How did he do so much worse than Medlen?

Meds never relied on throwing the baseball hard.

OkieBrave
12-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Didn't know where to put this so I'm putting here:
@Nationals: The #Nats have agreed to terms w 2B Dan Uggla on a Minor League deal w an invitation to Major League Spring Training. http://t.co/B2YZsuNmYK

Knucksie
12-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Didn't know where to put this so I'm putting here:
@Nationals: The #Nats have agreed to terms w 2B Dan Uggla on a Minor League deal w an invitation to Major League Spring Training. http://t.co/B2YZsuNmYK

If that doesn't pan out, he's got more time for the gym, the stripper and money to burn.

The Chosen One
12-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Meds never relied on throwing the baseball hard.

He relied on throwing the fastball as hard as his body would let him.

AerchAngel
12-26-2014, 04:43 PM
I wonder if we're about to have a Kang playing second...

:icon_biggrin:

I didn't know Klingons played baseball?

Dalyn
12-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I didn't know Klingons played baseball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzYf_fWAtPI

"Find him and kill him!"

kingphatcow
12-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Minor League

Where he will no doubt regain his form and hit 275 homeruns against us.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/nats-notes-zimmermann-second-base-moore-giolito.html

also, his middle name...
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/ugglada01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.mlbtraderumors.com

CyYoung31
12-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Old.

kingphatcow
12-29-2014, 08:16 AM
I QUIT THIS BOARD. YOU'RE SUCH A SARCASTIC A$$!

sorry. I just saw it yesterday.

blueagleace1
12-31-2014, 09:06 PM
Who hangs up first?

Orioles get: Evan Gattis, Luis Avilan, and Edward Salcedo

Braves get: Hunter Harvey, Stephen Tarpley, and Jimmy Paredes

Horsehide Harry
01-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Would anyone do a BJ Upton for Josh Hamilton trade?

Would the Braves?

Would the Angels?

Both contracts run through 2017. Hamilton is owed significantly more money but is much more productive...at least for now. Both seem to have worn out their welcomes at their current stays. If either were traded in a different trade, the team would have to include money as part of the deal (if not outright release altogether).

I am not sure I would do it. Hamilton looks like big risk/possible reward while we know what Upton is and may be better off just taking the medicine.

NinersSBChamps
01-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Would anyone do a BJ Upton for Josh Hamilton trade?

Would the Braves?

Would the Angels?

Both contracts run through 2017. Hamilton is owed significantly more money but is much more productive...at least for now. Both seem to have worn out their welcomes at their current stays. If either were traded in a different trade, the team would have to include money as part of the deal (if not outright release altogether).

I am not sure I would do it. Hamilton looks like big risk/possible reward while we know what Upton is and may be better off just taking the medicine.

I make any deal that gets the team free of that pile of poop.

Horsehide Harry
01-04-2015, 03:47 PM
I think I would do it. Obviously it would be a gamble because Hamilton could crater and you would end up owing about $35Million more than what you would owe just by keeping BJ. BUT, let's say Hamilton hit .280 with 15 HR going into the all star break. I think you could flip him to a contender in need of power and a. rid yourself of the contract and b. get some talent back.

I would view the $35M difference in the same way as a contract for a prospect - you are fronting money in the hopes of a good return.

dak
01-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Phillies sign Harang. Glad we didn't land him, but will be curious to see $.

@JonHeymanCBS · 4m 4 minutes ago
phillies have a deal with aaron harang, who had a nice year with braves in '14

Hawk
01-05-2015, 12:04 PM
A bullet dodged, for sure.

How does Ruben Amaro Jr. still have a job?

chop2chip
01-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Probably won't work out, but it's hard to criticize a one year deal.

But I agree with everyone here. I would much rather go with some young guys like Banuelos.

dak
01-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Multiple reports have it as a one-year deal at $5m plus incentives.

I think it's a fair deal. Not a great value, but Phillies did fine.

Hawk
01-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Maybe, especially when you factor in the dearth of consistent arms left available on the FA market as it currently stands. The Phillies obviously have money to burn, so the dollars are largely irrelevant, but I've disliked 95% of the moves Amaro has made over the past several years as it has become more and more evident that the Philadelphia core was becoming decrepit. If you are not going to rebuild, then at least go young. I guess he's in the process of doing that -- the Rollins and Byrd trades did reap them surprisingly significant talent, and Hamels will probably bring a very solid haul, but Harang just seems like a waste of roster space to a team like Philadelphia or Atlanta. I like going after Banuelos types as back-end rotation filler, because the potential is abundant and cheap. Another strategy the Braves have found great success employing is simply waiting until the end of Spring Training to grab guys (see Harang 2014).

Interestingly, I read earlier that Florida is taking a hard look at James Shields (who apparently has an offer in-hand for $110MM).

Julio3000
01-05-2015, 01:03 PM
He's gonna be huge for Philly.

Something something Philly cheese steak.

Julio3000
01-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Maybe, especially when you factor in the dearth of consistent arms left available on the FA market as it currently stands. The Phillies obviously have money to burn, so the dollars are largely irrelevant, but I've disliked 95% of the moves Amaro has made over the past several years as it has become more and more evident that the Philadelphia core was becoming decrepit. If you are not going to rebuild, then at least go young. I guess he's in the process of doing that -- the Rollins and Byrd trades did reap them surprisingly significant talent, and Hamels will probably bring a very solid haul, but Harang just seems like a waste of roster space to a team like Philadelphia or Atlanta. I like going after Banuelos types as back-end rotation filler, because the potential is abundant and cheap. Another strategy the Braves have found great success employing is simply waiting until the end of Spring Training to grab guys (see Harang 2014).

Interestingly, I read earlier that Florida is taking a hard look at James Shields (who apparently has an offer in-hand for $110MM).

I'm anticipating this, rather than a $4-5M commitment to a FA.

Braves1976
01-05-2015, 01:15 PM
He's gonna be huge for Philly.

Something something Philly cheese steak.

I hear the Phillies are going to pay his incentives in Philly Cheese Steaks. :)

Braves1976
01-05-2015, 01:38 PM
I didn't see this posted: Continuing their very busy offseason, the White Sox have signed free agent Emilio Bonifacio to a one-year contract with a team option for 2016. According to Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com it’ll be worth $4 million.

MLBTR: Bruce Levine of 670thescore.com tweets that Bonifacio will earn $3MM in 2015, and the option is valued at $4MM with a $1MM buyout.

nsacpi
01-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Vogelsong and Kendrick still out there. I'd be ok with Hale as the fifth starter.

Braves1976
01-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Vogelsong and Kendrick still out there. I'd be ok with Hale as the fifth starter.

I firmly believe Hale would do better than those two. Just look at his numbers starting last year (SSS I know but still very good). Plus I would argue that Hale is a better starter now than he had been in the minors. He wasn't throwing the sinker throughout the minors and has improved most of his pitches since then too.