PDA

View Full Version : THE 1966 BRAVES: #23 Denny Lemaster

rico43
01-28-2015, 05:13 PM
#23 DENNY LEMASTER
Left-handed Pitcher

What came before: After a strong 10-4 season at Louisville in 1962 pushed the California native into the major league for keeps, Lemaster was the beneficiary of a potent lineup in 1964, third-year big leaguer Lemaster won 17 games despite a 4.15 ERA and 20 wild pitches.
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii562/ricocarty25/Denny_Lemaster_ATL_zps65c24bd2.jpg
But he spent much more of his career failing to deliver on his promise. After that season, the dropoff in the Braves bats were reflected in his stats, beginning with a dismal 7-13 in 1965.

That 1966 season: It was a singularly magical day, Billy Hitchcock's first game as manager, one where all of his promise was delivered. Hitchcock sent the 27-year-old left-hander to the mound against one of the greatest pitchers of all time, future Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax. Before what then the largest crowd at Fulton County Stadium (52,270), Lemaster was every bit the equal of the Los Angeles Dodgers great as he carried a no-hitter into the eighth inning. If not for a ninth-inning walk-off home run by another future Hall of Famer, Eddie Mathews, the two lefties appeared to be destined to battle in extra innings. Instead, the Braves emerged as 2-1 winners. But for the season, Lemaster was 11-8, 3.74 despite 10 complete games.

What came next: Lemaster got off to a fast in 1967, making the all-star team. But another lackluster second half left him 9-10 and traded to the Astros at season's end with infielder Denis Menke for the leadoff man the Braves needed so badly, Sonny Jackson. Lemaster was more of the same for the Astro, masterful performances mixed with ordinary ones, leaving him with records of 10-15, 13-17 (despite a 3.16 ERA!) and 7-12 before the Astros moved him to the bullpen in 1970 as a LOOGY, then dealt him to Montreal.
He only lasted three months for the Expos, drawing his release July 1, 1972, with a 7.78 ERA.
In his retirement, Lemaster suffered a deep tragedy when his wife was killed in an Atlanta auto accident in the mid-70s. But he remarried and eventually had 14 grandchildren to enjoy in his golden years. He became an accomplished woodcarver.

50PoundHead
01-28-2015, 05:43 PM
You neglected to mention that his full first name was Denver.

rico43
01-28-2015, 05:46 PM
You neglected to mention that his full first name was Denver.

I probably won't point out Hank Aaron's first name is actually Henry, either. Your point?

50PoundHead
01-29-2015, 04:46 PM
I probably won't point out Hank Aaron's first name is actually Henry, either. Your point?

I just think Denver is such a cool name.