PDA

View Full Version : Braves sign Eric Stults

Hawk
01-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Mark Bowman
@mlbbowman
The #Braves have signed LHP Eric Stults to a Minor League deal and invited him to Spring Training.

thethe
01-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Fifth starter spot will be a competition to see which **** can stick the longest.

Guy had a couple of decent years but it was in SD so I doubt this ever materializes into something valuable for the Braves.

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Good depth signing, if to only keep him away from pitching against us. It seems Eric always dominated us for the Padres.

PS -- Eric was among those I listed as someone I'd sign on a minor league deal instead of re-signing Harang back before Philly signed him. I like going with multiple minor league deals like this and allowing our young guns a fair shot at the 5th spot too. Plus I don't see Harang keeping up what he did last year with us.

dak
01-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Doesn't hurt to add him to the mix with Wandy and the others. Kinda pulling for Wandy though.

In other news, it's been 24 hours since the Gomes physical and still no update. I can't imagine he failed the physical. They're probably just trying to swing a small deal to clear a roster spot versus having to release someone.

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Doesn't hurt to add him to the mix with Wandy and the others. Kinda pulling for Wandy though.

In other news, it's been 24 hours since the Gomes physical and still no update. I can't imagine he failed the physical. They're probably just trying to swing a small deal to clear a roster spot versus having to release someone.

It also helps our depth in case someone gets hurt. Regarding the 40-man situation, I wonder if they're still trying to trade Avilan to clear a spot.

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Braves have also signed former Nats catcher Jesus Flores to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

Source: http://www.el-nacional.com/deportes/Jesus-Flores-buenas-expectativas-Atlanta_0_564543669.html

rico43
01-29-2015, 07:00 PM
I forsee triple-digit numbers on spring training jerseys.

(Actually, I forsee a ton of duplicate numbers; but seeing No. 108 or something playing in the spring just sounds oool.)

gamecock4braves
01-29-2015, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Hawk;190017]Mark Bowman
@mlbbowman
The #Braves have signed LHP Eric Stults to a Minor League deal and invited him to Spring Training.[/QUOTE

Stults?

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=Hawk;190017]Mark Bowman
@mlbbowman
The #Braves have signed LHP Eric Stults to a Minor League deal and invited him to Spring Training.[/QUOTE

Stults?

Haha, the actor from Mask is Eric Stultz. BTW, I actually typed out Stultz by mistake looking up Eric Stults stats page earlier tonight. :)

CyYoung31
01-29-2015, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=gamecock4braves;190043]

Haha, the actor from Mask is Eric Stultz. BTW, I actually typed out Stultz by mistake looking up Eric Stults stats page earlier tonight. :)

It's Stoltz.

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=Braves1976;190044]

It's Stoltz.

Correct, that's what I meant to type too. I just made a typo again, lol. Maybe this time I was combining their names. :)

skillet
01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
It appears that the Braves don't intend on Hale being the 5th starter, so he most likely will be our long relief guy. Would make the bullpen just about set:

Kimbrel
Johnson
Grilli
Russell
Outman
Simmons
Hale

rico43
01-29-2015, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=Braves1976;190044]

It's Stoltz.

Mask = Stoltz
Lefty = Stults

What is to like: Stults threw 176 innings last year. A healthy arm!

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 07:51 PM
It appears that the Braves don't intend on Hale being the 5th starter, so he most likely will be our long relief guy.

I wouldn't say that because all these veterans are on minor league deals, which should mean that Hale and all our young guns get a shot too. They're even planning to give Russell a shot. That wouldn't be the case if we'd signed Harang to a Major league deal.

Hawk
01-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Are quotes broken or something?

Anyways, the Phillies just signed Billingsley to a one year, $1.5MM deal says Bob Nightengale. Wouldn't have minded giving him a shot, but I'm not too keen on that guarantee.

What is Amaro smoking?

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 07:54 PM
Mask = Stoltz
Lefty = Stults

What is to like: Stults threw 176 innings last year. A healthy arm!

True. He also threw over 200 innings the year before last. I like the depth because you never know when the injury bug might hit (last spring being terrible for us losing both Medlen and Beachy).

The Chosen One
01-29-2015, 07:55 PM

Anyways, the Phillies just signed Billingsley to a one year, $1.5MM deal says Bob Nightengale. Wouldn't have minded giving him a shot, but I'm not too keen on thhat guarantee.

What is Amaro smoking?

Quoting works... quoteception is another story.

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 07:58 PM

Anyways, the Phillies just signed Billingsley to a one year, $1.5MM deal says Bob Nightengale. Wouldn't have minded giving him a shot, but I'm not too keen on thhat guarantee.

What is Amaro smoking?

Something like that, I've had to edit the last two posts I've made due to that. Further, Billingsley can make a total of 8 million if he reaches all incentives apparently. It's a 1.5 million base with 6.5 million in incentives according to MLBTR.

emk418
01-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Solid depth...could slide to the pen if we need a LH reliever. Still want to see Folty win the spot.

Hawk
01-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Something like that, I've had to edit the last two posts I've made due to that. Further, Billingsley can make a total of 8 million if he reaches all incentives apparently. It's a 1.5 million base with 6.5 million in incentives according to MLBTR.

Gross. Yeah, it's chump change for Philly, but for a team that is supposedly getting younger all they keep doing is adding age.

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Gross. Yeah, it's chump change for Philly, but for a team that is supposedly getting younger all they keep doing is adding age.

While I agree they have a really bad GM, I must say he's doing what it takes to give them a good shot at the first overall pick in the draft. They should take last place in the NL East and probably MLB pretty easy.

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:16 PM
While I agree they have a really bad GM, I must say he's doing what it takes to give them a good shot at the first overall pick in the draft. They should take last place in the NL East and probably MLB pretty easy.

Pretty easy? Oh, come on! What is with you negative posters never giving the Braves credit!?

Braves1976
01-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Pretty easy? Oh, come on! What is with you negative posters never giving the Braves credit!?

OK, you got me. I'll try to do better next time. :tchop:

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:25 PM
OK, you got me. I'll try to do better next time. :tchop:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/7/15/2/anigif_enhanced-buzz-23603-1373870512-2.gif

Julio3000
01-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Well, someone got in early with Mask, but no mi casa su casa?

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:26 PM

I came ready and lost the urge once I saw the Mask post.

Julio3000
01-29-2015, 08:28 PM
I came ready and lost the urge once I saw the Mask post.

Dammit, I was counting on you!

weso1
01-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Am I the only one struggling to figure out what curse word thethe used?

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:33 PM

I figured it was typical thethe and he went with -

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060530121541/uncyclopedia/images/e/e1/Jew.gif

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Dammit, I was counting on you!

I mean, I love Stoltz, so I was thrilled, but there's the Quote guy beating me to it and it just lost its appeal.

rico43
01-29-2015, 08:37 PM

I read it as "turd" which, under any circumstance, isn't a vulgar word.

Hawk
01-29-2015, 08:42 PM
I read it as ****.

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:43 PM
I read it as "turd" which, under any circumstance, isn't a vulgar word.

Stults is derived from Stoltz (the actual German spelling), usually changed by a German **** (not German turd). So you don't think this was typical thethe showing solidarity with the newest member of the Braves? He's usually a top notch guy like that.

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:46 PM
I read it as ****.

See. Hawk agrees with me. :eusa_dance:

weso1
01-29-2015, 08:48 PM
I read it as another word for penis.

to see which penis can stick the longest

Makes sense if you think about it.

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:50 PM
I read it as another word for penis.

to see which penis can stick the longest

Makes sense if you think about it.

That's what we need. More Wood in the rotation.

Dalyn
01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Where is Mickey O'Neil when you need a good translator?

50PoundHead
01-29-2015, 11:49 PM
Eric Stoltz?!? Wow. I loved him in Pulp Fiction. Didn't know he pitched!

http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/592x888/d_f/eric-stoltz_glamour__23jan14_getty_b_592x888.jpg

CyYoung31
01-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Everybody loves you. It pisses me off.

jpx7
01-30-2015, 12:39 AM
Eric Stoltz?!? Wow. I loved him in Pulp Fiction. Didn't know he pitched!

He's on record as taking any Pepsi Challenge advanced to him.

NinersSBChamps
01-30-2015, 12:45 AM
Cock?

CyYoung31
01-30-2015, 01:19 AM
He's on record as taking any Pepsi Challenge advanced to him.

Cocaine is ****ing dead as dead. Heroin is coming back in a big ****ing way.

Julio3000
01-30-2015, 08:36 AM
Since we've been speculating about this guy or that guy being a cylon, does it trouble you at all that we just signed the guy who created the cylons?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/cylon_zpsb8b2f3ec.jpg

50PoundHead
01-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Since we've been speculating about this guy or that guy being a cylon, does it trouble you at all that we just signed the guy who created the cylons?

Good call! Forgot all about Caprica. I wish it had stuck around.

Julio3000
01-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Good call! Forgot all about Caprica. I wish it had stuck around.

Yeah, likewise. It had real promise.

clvclv
01-30-2015, 11:11 AM

Anyways, the Phillies just signed Billingsley to a one year, $1.5MM deal says Bob Nightengale. Wouldn't have minded giving him a shot, but I'm not too keen on that guarantee.

What is Amaro smoking?

We guaranteed Wandy $2 million if he's on the roster - don't see much of a difference. I personally would rather roll the dice with Billingsley since he's got more upside.

Of course I'm all for any situation that gives Folty and Banuelos the full season to sharpen arsenals and work on control and command in Gwinnett - plug them both in in 2016 to replace Minor and Wandy/Hale/Stults/whomever.

Hawk
01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
We guaranteed Wandy $2 million if he's on the roster - don't see much of a difference. I personally would rather roll the dice with Billingsley since he's got more upside.

I meant signing him relative to the roster now, as there's just not a fit (especially, now, seeing the incentive package - which was probably a chief disqualifier for Atlanta) financially or otherwise.

I'm with you though, I would have preferred the Braves go after Billingsley as opposed to Wandy because of upside Chad brings to the table.

Braves1976
01-30-2015, 11:21 AM

The difference is that Billingsley can make up to 6.5 million in incentives along with the 1.5 million base salary. So that would be 2 million vs 8 million if Billingsley stays healthy and reaches those incentives.

Braves1976
01-30-2015, 11:28 AM
I meant signing him relative to the roster now, as there's just not a fit (especially, now, seeing the incentive package - which was probably a chief disqualifier for Atlanta) financially or otherwise.

I'm with you though, I would have preferred the Braves go after Billingsley as opposed to Wandy because of upside Chad brings to the table.

Yea, I am guessing we even made Billingsley an offer or were willing to do so. We probably even would've given him more money wise than what Wandy can earn. But it was also likely no where close to 8 million total with incentives. I am guessing somewhere between 2-4 million including incentives would be more our range (give or take a million). Further, I would also guess we talked to a number of free agents like Wandy, Billingsley, Stults, Harang, etc.

clvclv
01-30-2015, 11:46 AM
The difference is that Billingsley can make up to 6.5 million in incentives along with the 1.5 million base salary. So that would be 2 million vs 8 million if Billingsley stays healthy and reaches those incentives.

And if Billingsley comes even remotely close to approaching those incentives he nets you a helluva lot more in a trade than Wandy or Stults will.

Moving a healthy Minor and healthy Billingsley at the deadline would bring one heckuva haul.

Braves1976
01-30-2015, 12:20 PM
And if Billingsley comes even remotely close to approaching those incentives he nets you a helluva lot more in a trade than Wandy or Stults will.

Moving a healthy Minor and healthy Billingsley at the deadline would bring one heckuva haul.

I wouldn't compare what Billingsley might bring as a rental to what Minor would bring if he bounces back. Minor should bring a lot more as he wouldn't be a rental, he's not a free agent till 2018. But that isn't to say Billingsley as a rental wouldn't bring back a nice return because even Roberto Hernandez brought back a nice return from the Dodgers last year at the deadline. Which is more in line with what a rental like Billingsley should bring back. Further, it is hard to say how much more Billingsley might bring back in a trade than Wandy or Stults because you could have someone like the Dodgers overpay for one of them a la Hernandez. It happens that way at the trade deadline sometimes for various reasons.

clvclv
01-30-2015, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't compare what Billingsley might bring as a rental to what Minor would bring if he bounces back. Minor should bring a lot more as he wouldn't be a rental, he's not a free agent till 2018. But that isn't to say Billingsley as a rental wouldn't bring back a nice return because even Roberto Hernandez brought back a nice return from the Dodgers last year at the deadline. Which is more in line with what a rental like Billingsley should bring back. Further, it is hard to say how much more Billingsley might bring back in a trade than Wandy or Stults because you could have someone like the Dodgers overpay for one of them a la Hernandez. It happens that way at the trade deadline sometimes for various reasons.

I didn't compare anything. I said moving the two of them would bring back a nice return if they're healthy.

If you think Wandy or Stults would bring back nearly as much as a healthy Billingsley, we'll just have to disagree.

Hawk
01-30-2015, 12:32 PM
It's way too premature to be gauging the 2015 trade deadline, which could feature Cueto and Zimmerman, among more premium arms.

Braves1976
01-30-2015, 12:41 PM
I didn't compare anything. I said moving the two of them would bring back a nice return if they're healthy.

If you think Wandy or Stults would bring back nearly as much as a healthy Billingsley, we'll just have to disagree.

The way you brought them up together made it seem like you thought they'd bring back a similar return. And I don't claim to know what Wandy or Stults might bring back at the trade deadline. If one of them surprises like Harang did last year the return could be better than expected. It depends on their performance this year and other teams needs, timing, etc. That is why I said it is "hard to say" in my previous response. Further, I didn't expect Hernandez to bring back anything of note but the Phillies got a good return for him last year.

Braves1976
01-30-2015, 12:42 PM
It's way too premature to be gauging the 2015 trade deadline, which could feature Cueto and Zimmerman, among more premium arms.

Agreed.

clvclv
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM

It's NEVER too early to be gauging those situations - what do you think front offices get paid for?

You don't think the reason that James Shields is still unsigned three weeks before camps open is because most of his potential suitors are well-aware of the fact that better, younger arms with less innings on them will be out there? Why on earth would the Red Sox give Shields $20 million per when they know they can have Hamels or Cueto any time they want them?

JohnAdcox
01-30-2015, 02:35 PM

That’s Glen Larson?

Hawk
01-30-2015, 02:50 PM
It's NEVER too early to be gauging those situations - what do you think front offices get paid for?

You don't think the reason that James Shields is still unsigned three weeks before camps open is because most of his potential suitors are well-aware of the fact that better, younger arms with less innings on them will be out there? Why on earth would the Red Sox give Shields $20 million per when they know they can have Hamels or Cueto any time they want them?

The answer to that question is exceedingly simple: Because Hamels and Cueto will cost (top tier) prospects and Shields will cost dollars.

You can speculate, but it's a fool errand considering you have virtually no solid data on a plethora of factors which could drive a team to pursue an arm at the deadline (ranging from finances as a result of early season performance, to surprise contenders [or non-contenders], injuries, etc.)

Braves1976
01-30-2015, 02:50 PM
This may explain the Flores signing covered earlier in this thread:

@DOBrienAJC · 7m 7 minutes ago
Veteran catcher Eli Whiteside signed minor league deal earlier this winter w/ #Braves, but decided to retire and become a coach w/ Giants.

Braves1976
01-30-2015, 02:52 PM
The answer to that question is exceedingly simple: Because Hamels and Cueto will cost (top tier) prospects and Shields will cost dollars.

You can speculate, but it's a fool errand considering you have virtually no solid data on a plethora of factors which could drive a team to pursue an arm at the deadline (ranging from finances as a result of early season performance, to surprise contenders [or non-contenders], injuries, etc.)

It also seems he misunderstood the context of your previous point. I took it as you saying it with regard to us fans, not for GM's who don't have to speculate so much like we do.

Julio3000
01-30-2015, 03:20 PM
This may explain the Flores signing covered earlier in this thread:

@DOBrienAJC · 7m 7 minutes ago
Veteran catcher Eli Whiteside signed minor league deal earlier this winter w/ #Braves, but decided to retire and become a coach w/ Giants.

Hmm. I wonder what changed his mind?

MadduxFanII
01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
All of you hush with the Galactica stuff. I just started the second season DVDs.

You don't see me spoiling the fact that Sansa will become a White Walker in the next season of Game of Thrones, do you?

clvclv
01-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Other than Ben Cherrington saying that they're simply waiting until then when he was asked yesterday you mean? That was his answer when Bowden asked him that question on XM.

Hawk
01-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Other than Ben Cherrington saying that they're simply waiting until then when he was asked yesterday you mean? That was his answer when Bowden asked him that question on XM.

No, I was talking about teams in general, not the Red Sox specifically.

Dalyn
01-30-2015, 05:08 PM
You don't see me spoiling the fact that Sansa will become a White Walker in the next season of Game of Thrones, do you?

She's actually killed when she attacks Cersei. You must be thinking about Sam.

CyYoung31
01-30-2015, 08:36 PM

I was worried that I was going to be the only one with a Pulp Fiction-less Eric Stoltz reference. Good job.