PDA

View Full Version : Good Guys acquire Scott Downs in exchange for Cory Rasmus.

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Braves get Scott Downs from LA for Cory Rasmus. Are you kidding me, is that all?

Yogi44
07-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Another piece in place. Now for a starter.

Does seem like a low price on the surface.

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 11:28 AM
One of the baseball insiders tweeted, that this move might be it for the Braves. I think they might still have one more left in them, but kudos to Frank Wren, he just stole one of the best lefty relievers in the game for Cory Freakin Rasmus. That coupled with the Hanson/Walden deal, the Angels might not trade with Atlanta again.

thethe
07-29-2013, 11:29 AM
I like Rasmus. I think he has good stuff but this was a no-brainer.

mfree80
07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Not that I don't believe, but is there a link?

BRule
07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Can't complain at the cost, would've liked Ollie or Lopez more, though.

BRule
07-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Rosenthal and others haven confirmed via Twitter

NYCBrave
07-29-2013, 11:32 AM

It's on rotoworld, sourcing a CBS writer:

Braves acquired LHP Scott Downs from the Angels for RHP Cory Rasmus.

Downs has registered an exceptional 1.84 ERA in 29 1/3 innings this season for Anaheim while holding left-handed batters to a .196/.255/.216 slash line. The veteran southpaw is a great addition to the Atlanta bullpen. He will be eligible for free agency this November.

gilesfan
07-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Braves get Scott Downs from LA for Cory Rasmus. Are you kidding me, is that all?

What are people going to pay for 2 months of a LH reliever?

zitothebrave
07-29-2013, 11:34 AM
.219 wOBA against lefties, I'll take it. Especially for only Cory.

Braves1976
07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
The Angels must see something in Cory. I know he wasn't good his few games with us. But he was a lot better in AAA. So I wouldn't rule out him becoming a good reliever down the road. The kid just wasn't ready yet.

That said, I like this trade for us as Scott Downs gives us another strong lefty. But he is a free agent after the season so a rental.

Braves1976
07-29-2013, 11:36 AM
What are people going to pay for 2 months of a LH reliever?

Exactly. They have Cory Rasmus for a while. We're getting Downs for a few months. So it looks like a good trade for both sides to me.

Dunit24
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
This is a great trade for us. Rasmus has a good future ahead of him, but Downs is one of the best lefty RP in the game. So as we stand..

Kimbrel - Closer
Walden
Avilan
Downs

Our bullpen has reached sick level once again. Downs was saving games for the Angels. I hope Wren doesnt stop there. Go get another arm or two.

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Also once Maholm comes back, in all likelihood, Alex Wood will return to the bullpen, so you would once again have three lefties out there.

emk418
07-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I like Rasmus but this is a hell of a trade. Great job Wren. No let's get a bench piece to replace Janish and we're ready.

clvclv
07-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Wren For President 2016

zitothebrave
Also once Maholm comes back, in all likelihood, Alex Wood will return to the bullpen, so you would once again have three lefties out there.

Maybe Julio slides to the pen for inning concerns for a month or so. I wouldn't do it but it's not out of the question.

CrimsonCowboy
Good deal. Like it

weso1
07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Very nice. Rasmus has a chance to be a good reliever, but you certainly make this trade considering it improves our chances to win the division and in the playoffs.

jpx7
07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I liked this trade a lot, as far as tweaks go. Rasmus has good stuff and solid numbers in AAA, but was too wild for my tastes. I also don't think we can completely rule out Downs being re-signed, depending on his personal contract designs and rehabilitation developments with Venters.

Bj1133
07-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Good deal. Like it

Same here, but I'd still like to see us add a righty that could take the 7th inning duty

emk418
07-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Same here, but I'd still like to see us add a righty that could take the 7th inning duty

Agreed. I would love a RH set up man. I'd take a shot on Crain.

JohnAdcox
07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Would someone please explain to me how in the WORLD this deal was even remotely possible?

thethe
07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Would someone please explain to me how in the WORLD this deal was even remotely possible?

Downs is a rental and Rasmus has a good arm.

nsacpi
07-29-2013, 12:01 PM
I think this is a good fair deal for both teams. Rasmus has some upside. He has been surprisingly effective against lefties (good changeup) in his minor league career, so his future manager is going to have to figure out how best to use him.

bravesnumberone
07-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Very good deal by Mr. Wren.

Julio3000
07-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I like the idea of hitting the postseason with as many good arms in the 'pen as we can afford to carry.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 12:19 PM

The last two trades prove that Jerry Dipoto is actually a Braves fan.

Bye Week
07-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Just an awesome deal for the Braves. Downs is legit

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 12:22 PM
If there's one guy that's happy right now, it's easily Luis Avilan.

chopdrew
07-29-2013, 12:24 PM
We couldn't have gotten them to take gearrin too?

Julio3000
07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
If there's one guy that's happy right now, it's easily Luis Avilan.

At least he'll get some relief from that one recurring nightmare where Fredi beats on his left arm with a claw-hammer.

Krovahn
07-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Bravo; excellent trade.

jpx7
07-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Bravo; excellent trade.

http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=435109&bbat=46513&inline

sentenza
07-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Jackpot!!!
Great deal for this season!
But what will he want for the future?
3 years 11 Mio.?

Krovahn
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=435109&bbat=46513&inline...and honestly, it was completely unintentional; but, awesome nonetheless, now.

Tapate50
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Excellent. The circle is now complete.

50PoundHead
07-29-2013, 12:51 PM

It might seem counterintuitive, but the cost for a rental may actually be a bit higher than for a similar player over whom the acquiring team would retain control past the end of the season (that would depend on expected salary of course). No on-going salary costs associated with a rental. I really think this is a very good deal. Rasmus has battled back from injuries, but his ceiling looks to be similar to the Carpenter/Varvaro tandem we currently have working, so we got the part we needed at a reasonable cost.

Dalyn
07-29-2013, 12:52 PM
What a great deal!

Dunit24
07-29-2013, 01:04 PM
I liked this trade a lot, as far as tweaks go. Rasmus has good stuff and solid numbers in AAA, but was too wild for my tastes. I also don't think we can completely rule out Downs being re-signed, depending on his personal contract designs and rehabilitation developments with Venters.

Is it a pipedream to think next years bullpen could consist of this bunch..

Kimbrel
Walden
Graham...from the right side

EOF
Venters
Avilan
Downs..from the left side

#ballgame

Krovahn
07-29-2013, 01:10 PM

Kimbrel
Walden

EOF
Venters
Avilan

#ballgame
Sadly, I think it is a pipedream; even once they are back from TJ, I think EOF is likely too expensive for what we would want. I doubt we stick Graham in the pen either... and I doubt we resign Downs. My guess for next year would be Kimbrel, Walden, Venters, Avilan, Carpenter, Varvaro and Martinez. I would much rather have your scenario, but, I doubt it happens.

Slippyjms
07-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Kimbrel
Walden

EOF
Venters
Avilan

#ballgame

Yes. First of all that's too many lefties and Venters and EOF (assuming he's re-signed) wouldn't be back till midseason.

sentenza
07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Sadly, I think it is a pipedream; even once they are back from TJ, I think EOF is likely too expensive for what we would want. I doubt we stick Graham in the pen either... and I doubt we resign Downs. My guess for next year would be Kimbrel, Walden, Venters, Avilan, Carpenter, Varvaro and Martinez. I would much rather have your scenario, but, I doubt it happens.

But how much more expensive will EOF be then Downs?
But I think it's right, we can't hold EOF, Venters and Downs!
But with Avilan, Walden and Craig it will be "lights out!"

Krovahn
07-29-2013, 01:38 PM
But how much more expensive will EOF be then Downs?
But I think it's right, we can't hold EOF, Venters and Downs!
But with Avilan, Walden and Craig it will be "lights out!"
EOF and Downs will likely be about the same price range... but, I don't think we keep either of them. I just think our money will be spent elsewhere, mainly on giving our core talent some extensions and raises, even with the ~25 mill we may have. I do think we will keep Venters once he returns mid-season, assuming he is even remotely close to what he was the last couple of years.

Gary82
07-29-2013, 01:50 PM
I can't complain about this trade. This definitely shores up the pen and gives us that LOOGY we need. I just hope that Fredi uses him only against lefties, but I won't hold my breath.

MadduxFanII
07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
There's a pretty reasonable chance Rasmus becomes a Rudy Seanez type, and a non-zero chance he becomes even more. So if you're the Angels, of course you make this trade. You're not getting any use out of Downs over the rest of this lost season, and you get Rasmus for six years.

Still, Rasmus wasn't breaking in to the bullpen for us this year, and we have a chance to win a World Series. And if you're going to do the six-years-of-control-for-two-months game, giving up a reliever is usually the best way to ensure you don't get too screwed on the value.

parkvadawg
07-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Another example that Wren is very good at what he does.

parkvadawg
07-29-2013, 02:00 PM
There's a pretty reasonable chance Rasmus becomes a Rudy Seanez type, and a non-zero chance he becomes even more. So if you're the Angels, of course you make this trade. You're not getting any use out of Downs over the rest of this lost season, and you get Rasmus for six years.

Still, Rasmus wasn't breaking in to the bullpen for us this year, and we have a chance to win a World Series. And if you're going to do the six-years-of-control-for-two-months game, giving up a reliever is usually the best way to ensure you don't get too screwed on the value.

Great first post on this site

nsacpi
07-29-2013, 02:01 PM
At the start of this season we had Carpenter, Rasmus and Obispo in the pen in Gwinnett. Those three were in a bit of a competition to see who would emerge as the top RH reliever to be called up when the need arose. David Hale, who was in the starting rotation, was also a candidate. Basically Carpenter won this competition.

Next year, we're looking at a Gwinnett pen that will likely include righties Harper, Lamm, Jaime. There are several other who might start or relieve: Schlosser, Northcraft, Hale, Graham, Martin.

With that sort of situation, we had a big surplus of RHP who are getting close to being major league ready. This is the area we are deepest and it made a lot of sense for Wren to use one of this group as his trade chip.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Great first post on this site

You don't know the legend of MadduxFanII?

Former Cleveland Indians beat writer?

Mrs. Meta
07-29-2013, 02:09 PM

...and current play wri(gh)ter?

jpx7
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Rudy Seanez

Thanks first and foremost for the Rudy Seanez reference.

Heyward
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Good trade by Wren.

Rasmus has good stuff, but is more than expendable.

Downs is legit, just wish he was signed for another year.

Not sure how much it may cost to keep him at seasons end.

Or maybe just keep Venters, and sign EOF to a cheap, prove it deal.

Like some others, still think we need another high leverage righty from the pen.

Would like Crain but like Downs, he's a FA at years end. And he hasn't pitched in awhile.

NinersSBChamps
07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Good deal Wren. Keep any and all Rasmus brothers away from this team.

MadduxFanII
07-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks first and foremost for the Rudy Seanez reference.

Man, I loved Rudy. Short dude, threw impossibly hard, kept getting hurt and kept throwing impossibly hard.

parkvadawg
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM

Apparently not. How freaking dare me.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Apparently not. How freaking dare me.

And you claim to have been lurking and reading our posts for 10+ years!

MadduxFanII is about as OG as you can get.

parkvadawg
07-29-2013, 02:24 PM

MadduxFan is OG

I'm ashamed and will now punch myself in the face

Julio3000
07-29-2013, 02:25 PM

MadduxFanII is about as OG as you can get.

Emphasis on the O and the G.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Plunk.

MadduxFanII
07-29-2013, 02:27 PM

Count yourself lucky. I usually cut people who disrespect me.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 02:31 PM

I see a new rivalry.

CyYoung31 vs. MadduxFanII

Julio3000 is crying somewhere because he's old news and the new kid on the block is racking up thanks at an absurd ratio.

parkvadawg
07-29-2013, 02:33 PM

No one makes me bleed my own blood

parkvadawg
07-29-2013, 02:34 PM
I see a new rivalry.

CyYoung31 vs. MadduxFanII

Julio3000 is crying somewhere because he's old news and the new kid on the block is racking up thanks at an absurd ratio.

Hell, I'm jealous of the ratio.

Heyward
07-29-2013, 02:36 PM

I think we could maybe keep 1 of Downs/Venters/EOF, but all 3 is a pipedream.

EOF is coming off TJ, so he shouldn't be too expensive. And is we offer Jonny arb, he'll only cost around 2 mil or so.

stpeteirish
07-29-2013, 02:41 PM
we'd have to really pay up to keep this guy as a FA, so it is in all probability a rental. And Rasmus might develop; but he's not going to help us this year.

Its all about this year, that's the way it should be.

stpeteirish
07-29-2013, 02:43 PM
One of the baseball insiders tweeted, that this move might be it for the Braves. I think they might still have one more left in them, but kudos to Frank Wren, he just stole one of the best lefty relievers in the game for Cory Freakin Rasmus. That coupled with the Hanson/Walden deal, the Angels might not trade with Atlanta again.

The Angles must be slow learners, the Walden for Hanson deal should have already taught them.

jpx7
07-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Man, I loved Rudy. Short dude, threw impossibly hard, kept getting hurt and kept throwing impossibly hard.

... kept not pitching for the Braves and then pitching for the Braves again.

The Chosen One
... kept not pitching for the Braves and then pitching for the Braves again.

I kept thinking he was related to Olmedo Saenz...

parkvadawg
we'd have to really pay up to keep this guy as a FA, so it is in all probability a rental. And Rasmus might develop; but he's not going to help us this year.

Its all about this year, that's the way it should be.

Doubt Rasmus does much at all. Great trade. Could not be more happy with Wren as GM

stpeteirish
07-29-2013, 02:52 PM
I think we could maybe keep 1 of Downs/Venters/EOF, but all 3 is a pipedream.

EOF is coming off TJ, so he shouldn't be too expensive. And is we offer Jonny arb, he'll only cost around 2 mil or so.

Yes, one out of the three is reasonable. Going to be very tricky resigning the guys coming off of TJ, especially Venters since its #2 for him. Might be smart just to pay up for Downs and have the last three BP spots be low priced guys like Varvaro and Carpenter.

EOF and Venters won't be ready on opening day.

Yogi44
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes, one out of the three is reasonable. Going to be very tricky resigning the guys coming off of TJ, especially Venters since its #2 for him. Might be smart just to pay up for Downs and have the last three BP spots be low priced guys like Varvaro and Carpenter.

EOF and Venters won't be ready on opening day.

One concern about keeping Downs is that he is 37 years old now.... 38 next season. Not sure I'd roll that dice.

stpeteirish
07-29-2013, 03:11 PM
wonder who goes down. Loe and Ayala are the most possible.

bravesnumberone
07-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Has to be Loe. And then I would imagine when Maholm comes back, either Wood will go back down or move back to the bullpen, meaning one of Ayala/Carpenter/Varvaro would go down.

thethe
One concern about keeping Downs is that he is 37 years old now.... 38 next season. Not sure I'd roll that dice.

Those LOOGY arms can stay effective for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if Downs is in the league for anotehr 3-4 years.

I know with interleague play it isn't as pronounced as in the past but Downs has been in the American League for the last 9 years. He is going to be really tough on NL left handers down the stretch run. Just a great deal.

BRule
I'd assume Loe, since he's horrid.

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Loe is indeed the speculation, there is also a chance Downs might be suited up for tonight's game. The Braves were expecting him sometime this afternoon and Dallas which is where the Angels are isn't that long of a flight.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Is Downs a submariner/sidearm/3 quarters delivery type of guy?

I haven't seen him pitch in a while.

CrimsonCowboy
07-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Loe has to be the guy going down. When he made his appearance last week, I forgot the Braves even signed him!

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Downs is expected to land in Atlanta around 6:00 once he does he will be active for tonight's game and a move will be made, most likely Loe.

Dalyn
07-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Downs is expected to land in Atlanta around 6:00 once he does he will be active for tonight's game and a move will be made, most likely Loe.

What an upgrade.

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Then once Alex Wood moves back to the bullpen after Maholm returns, the best bullpen in the game will be even better. Only question is goes to make room for that move. I would guess that might cut ties with Ayala but that's next week.

CrimsonCowboy
07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
From the Braves Twitter:
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/795137903.jpg?1375131722

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 04:29 PM
So they just yank that number right off of the forgotten Blake Dewitt's back. Nice

yeezus
07-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Ah he took Lowe's number, when is coming off the DL and back to boost our rotation?

Dalyn
07-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Lowe, Loe, and Downs. What the plunk is going on around here!?

nsacpi
07-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Lowe, Loe, and Downs. What the plunk is going on around here!?

good names for groundball pitchers

CrimsonCowboy
07-29-2013, 05:31 PM
good names for groundball pitchers

Too bad the first of those names wasn't too good at that his last year in Atlanta

bravebonebook
07-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Loe has to be the guy going down. When he made his appearance last week, I forgot the Braves even signed him!

When he made his appearance last week, I wish the Braves had forgotten they even signed him!!

cajunrevenge
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Really like this move. Dont mind losing Rasmus he might never put it together in the majors.

tvsportscaster
07-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Downs has indeed been activated for tonight's game and as expected Kameron Loe designated for assignment.

Dalyn
07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Downs has indeed been activated for tonight's game and as expected Kameron Loe designated for assignment.

I feel down for Loe, but the cost was low for Downs, so Loe had to go down. Loe point of his career, no doubt, but he couldn't keep the ball down. **** happens.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 06:12 PM
I feel down for Loe, but the cost was low for Downs, so Loe had to go down. Loe point of his career, no doubt, but he couldn't keep the ball down. **** happens.

:icwudt:

Dalyn
07-29-2013, 06:14 PM
:icwudt:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4711971057435362&pid=15.1

CrimsonCowboy
07-29-2013, 06:39 PM

For you: http://instantrimshot.com/

sgtpepper1972
07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
The Angles must be slow learners, the Walden for Hanson deal should have already taught them.

Well, good thing the Braves are patient teachers...

ChapelHillMatt
07-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Downs is very good.

As much as I criticize Wren for handing out bad contracts he's very good at this part of the job. He makes some really good trades.

Perfect Cell
07-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Downs is a very good loogy im fine with this deal

parkvadawg
07-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Nm

jpx7
07-29-2013, 10:13 PM
I am totally downs with this acquisition. #elevenhourstoolate

Julio3000
07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
I am totally downs with this acquisition. #elevenhourstoolate

I had Downs by Law, but I kept it on the shelf.

#rarerestraint

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I had Downs by Law, but I kept it on the shelf.

#rarerestraint

I have it on my shelf also... I haven't watched it yet. Any good?

Julio3000
07-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Get up for the Downs stroke...

Julio3000
07-29-2013, 10:32 PM

Juliocesar, you cinemaphiles are quick.

drewdat
07-29-2013, 11:08 PM

I think they're just being obtuse.

AUTiger7222
07-29-2013, 11:23 PM

Loved Rudy Seanez. Guy had a simply amazing career. He had more arm surgeries than any other pitcher ever and some how kept coming back without losing any of his velocity and pitched for the Braves like 3 different times. Until Rasmus learns some control, if he ever does, he's just your run of the mill middle reliever and those guys are a dime a dozen. That is what makes this trade such a steal for the Braves. There's no way Rasmus ever develops into anything that would make the Braves regret this deal.

jpx7
07-30-2013, 12:20 PM

This was a great bit of deadpan.

Nerfherders
07-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the Braves, Scott! Here's a bases loaded, 2 out top of the 9th jam against Todd Helton!

rico43
07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Here is deal through the eyes of Angels:

ARLINGTON -- Michael Kohn has three mentors in his professional life, and now all of them are departed Angels: Scot Shields, Torii Hunter and Scott Downs.

The last one left on Monday morning, sent to the Braves in a one-for-one deal for Minor League reliever Cory Rasmus two days before the non-waiver Trade Deadline. Kohn found out from the team hotel in Dallas, shot Downs a text message and met him downstairs just as he was out the door to board a flight headed to Atlanta.

"I gave him a big hug, wished him luck and told him, 'Thank you,'" Kohn said from the visiting clubhouse at Rangers Ballpark.

"It's sad to see him go, but it's to a team that's obviously in first place right now. Downsy is a 12-year veteran and I don't think he has a playoff appearance in his life, so it's good for him to have that opportunity."

Out of first place by 13 games and in desperate need of pitching in the upper levels of their Minor League system, the Angels pulled the trigger on the 37-year-old lefty reliever who will be a free agent at season's end. At this point, it made little sense to hold onto Downs and miss out on an opportunity to add even a fringe prospect.

"I think we're going to miss him as much in the clubhouse as we will on the field," Angels assistant general manager Matt Klentak said of Downs. "He's done everything we've asked him to do for the last two and a half years, and he's a pro. We're excited for him for the opportunity, but it's a tough loss for the Angels."

Rasmus, a 25-year-old right-handed reliever, isn't a top prospect, but he's had a nice year in Triple-A, posting a 1.72 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP and 14 saves in 36 2/3 innings. He'll report to Triple-A Salt Lake, and he is probably already the best pitcher at the Angels' affiliate. Downs' roster spot was filled by lefty reliever Nick Maronde, who was called up from Double-A Arkansas.

A first-round Draft pick out of high school in Alabama in 2006, Rasmus -- brother of Blue Jays center fielder Colby Rasmus -- has compiled a 3.61 ERA in 143 career appearances (35 starts) through seven years in the Braves' system.

His fastball sits at 92-94 mph and his out pitch is a swing-and-miss changeup, which helped him post an 11.8 strikeouts-per-nine rate in 2013. Rasmus also appeared in three Major League games in 2013, giving up six runs in 6 2/3 innings.

"He's got a good arm, and that's first and foremost," Klentak said. "He's not far away from contributing to the big leagues, has had a very strong track record of performance in the Minor Leagues. He adds organizational depth for us, but it's organizational depth that's big league ready."

Downs, 37, was in the final season of a three-year, $15 million contract he signed with the Angels in December 2010. He was appealing to several contending teams seeking bullpen help, with a 1.84 ERA and a 1.26 WHIP in 43 appearances this year, and the first-place Braves wanted a veteran lefty in their 'pen.

Downs, mainly a groundball pitcher, had been one of the American League's most effective lefties over the last seven years, posting a 2.30 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP while averaging 63 appearances per season from 2007-12.

On this year's bullpen, he had taken on a leadership role with the likes of Kohn, Kevin Jepsen and Ernesto Frieri.

"He had either been through it all or seen it," Jepsen said. "There wasn't a whole lot that he hadn't seen before. It's definitely hard to see a guy like that go, but at the same time, I'm happy for him. He's played so many years and never been on a team that's won their division or gone to the playoffs or anything like that. I definitely think he deserves it."

The Angels could afford to part ways with Downs. Injured lefty reliever Sean Burnett is signed through next season, with a 2015 club option, and the 23-year-old Maronde -- who posted a 3.91 ERA in Double-A despite a very rough start to the season -- is waiting in the wings.

At 48-55 and in fourth place in the AL West heading into Monday's series opener from Rangers Ballpark, the Angels need to start planning for 2014 and beyond. They're expected to dangle position players in hopes of attaining cost-controlled starting pitching -- middle infielders Howie Kendrick and Erick Aybar have been made available, according to reports -- but a deal of that nature may have to wait until the offseason.

Downs ultimately wanted to stay, to find some way to make the uphill climb with the Angels and hopefully work out an extension in the offseason.

But he figured that was far-fetched.

"I've been through this before," said Downs. "I can't control what's going on on the other side. The only thing I can control is what I do out on the field to help this team win. That's the only thing I want to do. That's the only thing I'm going to worry about."

elmonthc
07-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Real good trade for us. Still think one more rp is a must. Though wood should go back into the pen when maholm comes back. Hes done a decent job as a rp for us.

jpx7
08-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I thought this was an interesting addendum to the Downs trade, c/o Jayson Stark's (negative) assessment of the Angels' moves at the deadline (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9526787/mlb-trade-deadline-winners-losers):

Nevertheless, the Angels made two deals -- and neither got great reviews. Rasmus -- a bullpen prospect with a power arm and a scary 5.5 walk rate per nine innings -- was viewed as a shockingly chancy return for Downs. Not to mention as a deal that several other clubs suggested crushed the market for the rest of the available bullpen arms.

I already assessed this as a pretty great transaction, as far as tweaks go, but I really enjoy the idea that Frank Wren residually depressed the market for all other bullpen arms by concocting such a solid swap.